Zonal marking or man marking for the centre backs?

I go for Zonal the whole team. The idea behind this is that if my CBs are man marking opposition CFs then there might be noone in the box marking cutting in wingers or forward rushing CMs. Not to say this would be the ideal way to do it, but that's just my 2 cents.

But now to think of it, what would happen if one would put the CBs on zonal marking and the rest of the defending players on man marking.. Again the idea would be that CBs simply defend the box (instead of marking specific players), and the rest of the defending players would mark their man hoping they would follow them to the box if the attacking players would try to make runs there (FBs following the wingers and MCs or DMCs following the on rushing CMs or AMCs).

-SnUrF

But now to think of it, what would happen if one would put the CBs on zonal marking and the rest of the defending players on man marking.. Again the idea would be that CBs simply defend the box (instead of marking specific players), and the rest of the defending players would mark their man hoping they would follow them to the box if the attacking players would try to make runs there (FBs following the wingers and MCs or DMCs following the on rushing CMs or AMCs).

-SnUrF

That is basically what I do. Wingers (inside forwards), Full backs, and the two MCs are on man marking. The two CBs on zonal together with my anchor man. I play 4-1-2-3 and that set up is to defend a normal 4-4-2 or any formation without an AMC. If there is an AMC in the formation, I change the anchor man to man mark the AMC and let the MCs be on zonal.

Works a treat. I marked Gerrard out of the game twice using the second set up, and managed to beat Liverpool twice. And that being Sparta Prague.

Archived