AI Experiment - what would happen if?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Meitheisman:

And anyone above the age of 5 should have been able to figure out what Kipfizh said on their own, hence I’m allowed to believe that you're a ret@ard for asking a ret@arded question.

Concerning your reply one might think you are the ret... I've been on this forum quite some time and never encountered such a person as you. Do you have problems in your relation you want to share with us? Or is that the problem: of having no relationship at all irl? My replies are kind, your replies are not. Just grow up!

You want to see how much the results differ when repeating the same thing several time? I have a brilliant idea for you (about as brilliant as your question) throw a coin in the air 1,000 times and mark whether it fell on heads or tails. Repeat the process as many times as you want and see how much the results differ… icon_rolleyes.gif

I see you don't get my argument. That's a shame. I expect the results would differ concerning the fm-game, the results with a coin wouldn't differ in the long run. So you made a non-valid argument here.

Ok now about your King comment, again you're having reading comprehension issues dude, where did I say I was the king? You asked a dumb question (if you think it has any intelligence whatsoever please explain how and where) and I sarcastically responded to it, you then managed to insist so I took the time to explain to you in details why your question was dumb… Admittedly, not in the nicer way ever but nonetheless it apparently still wasn’t enough.

You just act like someone who knows it all without being right. There is no such thing as a dumb question, and no one gives you the right to call someone ******** or dumb. Maybe it still has to do with some other issues in your life. You should get some more education, high school is not enough, you made that clear!

Furthermore, you might not understand how internet forums work, when you post something anyone can see it and respond to it if they feel like it. If you don’t want anyone to read and answer your posts/questions then don’t comment on public places, you sound like a 14 year old gangster ordering people to not look at them on the street… pathetic! One more question, who the hell do you think you are to decide who’s allowed and who’s not to respond to your posts?

I guess that I understand internet forums better than you do. Offcourse anyone can reply, but in a normal kind of way. Again after calling me ********, dumb now 'pathetic' is added to the list. Get your life together! Do you need the internet to get rid of your frustrations? After all of this I got a decent answer from kip, that was al that I wanted, not some idi0t thinking he knows it all!

Oh and I don’t know you either and I’m actually glad I don’t. You’re a disgrace to the Eagles fans family, even T.O. wasn’t that much of an embarrassment.

So.... ********, dumb, pathetic and a disgrace. This replies tells us a lot more about you than it does about me. You don't even know which Eagles I mean.

so sorry for highjacking your thread Kipfizh but for some reason this guy got to me I couldn't help but respond

Kipfizh, I agree with his last statement, but I hope you can understand that I won't allow someone to call me ******** etc. without giving him a reply.

I still like this thread icon_smile.gif.

Smile folks, it's Friday, it's sunny outside (it's raining here, but I'm sure it's sunny somewhere in the world), Big Sam's out of a job so we see less of his open mouth gum chewing, Celine Dion's retired from singing (again), and no matter how daft you ever look in your lifetime, you can never look as ridiculous as Jermain Defoe does right now.

Plenty of reasons to be cheerful, I'd say.

Originally posted by kipfizh:

Smile folks, it's Friday, it's sunny outside (it's raining here, but I'm sure it's sunny somewhere in the world), Big Sam's out of a job so we see less of his open mouth gum chewing, Celine Dion's retired from singing (again), and no matter how daft you ever look in your lifetime, you can never look as ridiculous as Jermain Defoe does right now.

Plenty of reasons to be cheerful, I'd say.

icon_smile.gif It's also raining over here, but thats kinda normal for our countries I guess icon_smile.gif. The sun is just hidden behind a few clouds. It is time for a cup of coffee!

Guest Da Bird Returns

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Da Bird:

There is no such thing as a dumb question

You win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peace? icon_cool.gif

Guest arrogantio

So Manchester United finally return to the Premiership by beating the mighty Morecambe...

...sounds like there's a good story there too. Morecambe must have done remarkably well to come from non-league obscurity to being 90 minutes from the Premiership without the Bandits' limitless resources.

Left Back 1 is jaw-droppingly bad. Signing world class wingers to play badly in central midfield? Bet they miss Clayton now. How good a manager is Right Mid 1?

Originally posted by arrogantio:

So Manchester United finally return to the Premiership by beating the mighty Morecambe...

...sounds like there's a good story there too. Morecambe must have done remarkably well to come from non-league obscurity to being 90 minutes from the Premiership without the Bandits' limitless resources.

Left Back 1 is jaw-droppingly bad. Signing world class wingers to play badly in central midfield? Bet they miss Clayton now. How good a manager is Right Mid 1?

I'm pretty sure Morecambe have previously been in the prem (and done alright) before going down again?

Originally posted by kipfizh:

... and no matter how daft you ever look in your lifetime, you can never look as ridiculous as Jermain Defoe does right now...

Lmfao. Yep. As a Spurs fan I don't understand what's going on with that. Easily the silliest haircut in history. He must have lost a bet or something. Plus to draw attention to yourself in that manner it helps if you actually have the ability to put the ball in the back of the net now and again. Hehe.

Back to the Bandits. As a naturally pessimistic person I'm starting to lose a little enthusiasm. We've spent a lot of seasons in the top flight now, and a few managers have come and gone. Yet none of those appointments have been remotely useful and the continued under-performance of managers coupled to the continually woeful choice of new ones by the Chairman is starting to take the gloss off.

It doesn't look like the Chairman will be moving any time soon and so the Bandits look to be forever stuck with managers who are deeply flawed.

We've had ones that were tactically good but never brought the right players (qf the many MANY seasons we spent in need of wide players). We've had ones that brought the right players, but then played them hopelessly out of position.

Now we've got one who buys the wrong players and plays them out of position. And is young enough that barring a major catastrophe is likely to be there for the next decade or so. Terminal mid-table mediocrity isn't what we all hoped for. Sigh.

VB

Only discovered this thread this morning whilst browsing for notes on a potential bug - I think I've just spent four hours having a year flash in front of my eyes and riding the crests of emotion with the Bandits!

Happy Birthday Bandits!

Kip, this is truly outstanding, a work of genius and passion - and done excellently.

Well, since it's now year two of the experiment, and some of you are getting a little down about the Bandits' progress, I should give you a little information.

As much as anything, it'll explain the stark difference in summer and January transfers in the upcoming report.

Left Back 1 did not last long into the new season, and we have a new manager. And for once, he doesn't appear to be a talentless fool - he even has a three figure CA (gasp!).

Why am I telling you this? Well, I always give you the transfer news first, and it may encourage you to know that although some more oldies were bought in the summer, the January transfer window was much more about long term planning.

Which is exactly what the club needs.

Season 2049-50

Bandits report - Transfers

Transfers In

Transfers Out

With such a disappointing league season last time out, it was Left Back 1, manager for only a year, who was feeling the pressure. The fans weren’t convinced, despite the extra leeway he was given as a club favourite, and the board came out five times in the summer to insist that he wasn’t about to be replaced. To say his job was shaky would be putting it mildly, and everyone knew he needed an excellent start to the new campaign to save it.

Which made his signings all the more crucial. With short term survival on the cards, he could be forgiven for signing players that could do a job immediately, but at the same time the club desperately needed an injection of youth with the academy not producing as it did two years ago, and the team gradually heading over the hill.

Summer

With the squad so old, the fans were hoping for some exciting young players, either prospects for the future or those in their early 20s who could make an instant impact on the first team.

First came the clearout. David Young had never made an impression on the first team squad, and left on a free transfer, quickly followed by Juan Jose Sanchez, who had fallen out of favour at the age of 33. The winger would go on to have a renaissance of his career at Mallorca.

Youngsters Garry Ryan and Alan Wilson moved on, having been informed (correctly) that they’d never make it at a top club, and while the fans waited anxiously to see who would follow them, it transpired that no-one would.

So three players left who never got near the first team, and a 33 year old followed them out of the door. Surely now any signing Left Back 1 made would improve the squad?

He continued his myopic view of the squad, signing 31 year old central midfielder Ribeiro on a free transfer. With a CA of 148 and falling, he’d become nothing more than a squad player and not the type the manager needed to save his job.

But then he did make a decent signing – Gary Reid, a central midfielder once capped by England, arrived shortly before his 28th birthday, costing 7m from West Brom. With a CA of 165 and a PA of 170, he is certainly a talent, and has a couple of decent years left in him. He would go on to become a regular in the middle of the park, and exactly the sort of signing that was required.

What followed was less inspiring. PSG were paid 4.8m for the services of 28 year old right winger Eric Lamberti, a seemingly overpriced player given his paltry CA of 145. He would play more than expected but would never justify the price tag.

With the fans baying for youth, the manager finally brought in a prospect a day before the window shut – Keith Ellis had just turned 17 when he signed on a free transfer from Birmingham, and the striker, who can play in midfield, could become quite a player, with a PA of 174. His CA of 101means that he has some way to go, but with their excellent training facilities the boy has a chance.

And that was it. No-one of any note had left, but only Reid raised the attention of the fans, Ellis being penned as one for the future. As a result, the first team would look very much like that of the previous season, and with many of them fading, Left Back 1 would have a tough task to get them to start well enough to save his job.

January

With the Bandits sitting thirteenth after five games, the board decided that Left Back 1 wasn’t the man to take them forward, and fired him, to the surprise of no-one.

With the fans uninspired by many of the board’s appointments to date, they once again hoped for a decent manager to be put in charge, and looked around at those available to take over.

On the list of candidates was Goalkeeper 2, who, with a CA of 160, looked like a good bet. But the sixty year old probably wouldn’t be a better candidate than Left Back 1 – the CA is deceptive as he shares the same weaknesses of the fired manager, and has made a mess of every managerial position he’s taken on. He would end up at Newcastle, managing to get them relegated. A wise person to avoid, even as a club favourite.

Elsewhere, 51 year old Gary Doyle (120/120) was in the frame, and had a history of overachievement with Barnsley, so would be a popular choice, while 52 year old James Reynolds (105/106) did reasonably with Crystal Palace. Tellingly, however, Palace thrived once he’d left.

The bookie’s favourite, though, was veteran Neil Angus. The 62 year old (124/137) had a glittering CV, having previously managed Sheff Wed, Aston Villa, West Ham and Liverpool, and doing fairly well in each job.

It turned out that the bookies were right, and Angus was appointed as new manager of the Bandits just three days after the transfer window had shut.

Neil Angus

Although he has his weaknesses, notably his motivation skills, he at least seems more of a manager than a coach, and to the relief of all fans, there are two numbers in there that are absolutely crucial. With such a huge transfer budget and the ability to sign top players, it is vital that any manager can recognise the squad’s needs, and sign the appropriate players. With judging player ability of 15, and judging player potential of 16, there was hope that, come January, Angus would give the squad the boost it needed.

The new manager decided not to have a major clearout in his first transfer window, getting rid of only Jari Jarvinen, a young goalkeeper without the ability to establish himself at the top level. With the veteran manager’s eye roaming the transfer market, could he now give the squad what it so desperately needed? Or would he, as a 62 year old, purchase players only for the few years he could be in charge before he himself retired?

The answer was pretty comprehensive. His first signing was 20 year old Malcolm Gardner, a Scottish central midfielder with a big future. His CA sits at 136, not bad for a 20 year old, but it is his PA of 185 that is causing excitement. He could be a star in the coming years.

He then bought another Scot, central defender Gregor McGowan. Another 20 year old, he has a higher CA than Gardner, at 147, and also has serious potential, with PA sitting at 179. Once again, the Bandits’ fans had reason to be optimistic about the future.

And he wasn’t done there. With his first two signings coming at a bargain combined price of under 2m, he got the chequebook out for the third, defender James Stroud, who could play anywhere across the back, but was most comfortable in the centre or on the right. The 23 year old cost 10.75m from Barnsley, but appears worth every penny as his ability has already reached 157, with a PA up at 177. He established himself as a first team regular in the second half of the season.

Angus was on a roll now, and continued with the signing of Jamaican Ricardo Forde, a 22 year old costing 1.1m from Everton. His main positions are defensive midfield and left wing back, but he can also step up to left wing and central midfield if asked, and he is a very useful squad player. With a CA of 134, hopefully rising close to his PA of 168, he is yet another talent spotted by the manager’s keen eye.

With his final signing, he acknowledged that all the decent keepers in the squad were the wrong side of 30, so picked up Jami Priha on a free transfer. The Finnish international will never be a star, but is only 20 and with a CA of 145 and a PA of 159 can fill in when required. Don’t be surprised to see Angus sign a star keeper in the future, though.

So with the squad aging, Angus decided that the approach was not to buy players at their peak, preferring instead to trust those already in the first team to keep playing for a couple more years, while concentrating on securing the future for the team.

His transfer policy seems wise, and many of his signings could go on to be fantastic players. The only worry is that he isn’t far from retirement himself, and if he is to hand over a promising squad, it has to be to a man who recognises what he has.

His ability in the transfer market is very decent. How is his management?

Bandits report - squad

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

Martin, ST, 27, 178-178 (-)

Johnstone, GK, 30, 173-173 (+1)

Americo, ST, 25, 172-172 (-)

de Jong, DC, 29, 170-170 (-)

Fatih, DC, 27, 169-173 (-)

Finley, ST, 29, 168-169 (-)

Remy, DM, 27, 166-166 (-)

Reid, MC, 28, 165-170 – new signing

Beckham, GK, 30, 161-161 (-)

Jones, AM RL, 30, 159-183 (-4)

Mnguni, D/WB L, 32, 159-175 (-8)

Hernandez, AM RL, 31, 158-174 (-5)

Stroud, D RLC, 23, 157-177 – new signing

van den Berg, AM C, 27, 157-157 (-)

Thomas, DC, 21, 155-173 (+4)

McDermott, ST, 32, 155-159 (0)

Vincent, MC, 31, 154-181 (-9)

Hansen, D/WB R, 30, 154-172 (-4)

Paris, GK, 33, 153-156 (+1)

Corradini, D/WB R, 28, 148-167 (-2)

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:

Dreyfus, AM L, 32, 149-186 – loan ended

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:

Ernst, DC, 32, 144-165 (-8)

The top of the list is fairly static, with very little change in personnel or ability level of those players. But with Martin, Johnstone, de Jong, Fatih and Finley at peak ages, the side will soon move into transition.

Behind them, Reid is a decent signing as a stopgap, one of Left Back 1’s final signings before his sacking, while the ever improving Thomas is joined in the top 20 by Stroud, between them making for a youthful but talented defence.

While very little changes in the top 20, the real story happens elsewhere, as the focus of the new manager’s signings were on players too young to reach this list yet, but who may top it at the peak of their careers. There will be a club handover from old to young, has it already started and can they survive it?

Notable others:

McGowan, DC, 20, 147-179 – new signing

Gardner, MC, 20, 136-185 – new signing

Sayer, ST, 19, 125-174 (+20)

Ellis, AM/F C, 17, 101-174 – new signing

Tom Sayer continues his impressive improvement rate, while three other signings could hit the heights of 170 CA and beyond if their development goes well.

CA of X or above:

190 : 0 … 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

180 : 0 … 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

170 : 0 … 0, 0, 1, 2, 1, 3, 4, 4, 4

160 : 0 … 3, 3, 3, 7, 8, 10, 9, 12, 9

150 : 0 … 15, 17, 15, 19, 16, 21, 20, 19, 19

140 : 0 … 27, 27, 24, 26, 20, 26, 25, 25, 27

130 : 0 … 33, 34, 29, 29, 26, 30, 30, 28, 30

120 : 0 … 34, 36, 30, 32, 28, 31, 30, 29, 34

110 : 0 … 36, 36, 31, 32, 28, 32, 31, 31, 35

100 : 2 … 39, 40, 34, 33, 30, 38, 34, 33, 39

At the top, the number of 170 players remains the same, but with some key players on the decline, the number of 160+ players drops back to nine. However, below that the squad gains some depth, a crucial improvement given the age of the squad as a whole.

Amazing what a difference an actual manager can make! Some stunning signings who could, with the Bandits now decent reputation, stay on for years to come.

Wonderful news icon_biggrin.gif

If he can claw them upto a UEFA spot, or a decent cup run to achieve same, the future is suddenly looking bright.

Fantastic.

Originally posted by AB-forever:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meitheisman:

Not sure if it's my computer or your screen shots but I can't see any of them. Can someone please double check?

I can see them... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be my work computer then... I'll have to wait until I get home to see them icon_frown.gif

I hope Angus doesn't retire too soon to be replaced by another crap manager. Personally it'll be more devastating to see the todays youngesters be sold up in 2-3 years time if Angus retires.

On the other hand, I'm kinda sad for Left Back 1, it was the best he can do with those stats but wished he could have done more. At least we saw an ex-Bandit as the chief.

So Bandits for EPL next season? Hope we can cope with that match fixture well. I'm nearly confident that we got a Europe spot so we will be seeing more excitement next year.

Happy b'day to all of us Bandit fans & readers of this thread. I'd like to thank Kipfizh for his outstanding idea & awesome story telling again and again. icon14.gif

There's no doubting Angus' abilities both for man management and encouraging talent in to the side, however with a 'Very Cautious' playing style I'm worried he might not have the confidence to push the Bandits on to the next level and bring the best out of them.

I have a bad feeling a season of mid-table mediocrity approaches, but then again, after LM1 and the horrible hash he made of things with such a promising team, any signs of improvement will be good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AB-forever:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meitheisman:

Not sure if it's my computer or your screen shots but I can't see any of them. Can someone please double check?

I can see them... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be my work computer then... I'll have to wait until I get home to see them icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Turns out it was the work computer.

Determination and Motivation at 1 the main issue with Angus but all the other stats are pretty promising icon14.gif

Just posting to say this is the best thread EVER.

Also I am so confused as to why Maia was so ****!

His abilities where amazing!

Dribbling - 17 (Should mean he will be succesful in getting round most people and causing havoc in the middle of the field. if i put him in my team I would set his Dribbling to "Often")

Finishing - 16 (Fairly good finisher, not to important though since he is a midfielder.)

Free kicks - 20 (Perfect, did the AI use him for free kicks? Again if he was in my time I would set him for all free kicks, I am sure he would get loads of goals)

Long Shots - 18 (Again, if i had him in my team I would set his long shots to often, I am sure he would get a few in, if not coming close and ******** the keeper up!)

Long Throws - 20 (on my time i would make him take throws, on my current game one of my players is 20 throws and causes havoc with his throw in's

Passing - 20 (Perfect he should be making most of his passes and also be able to do any pass he wants, would be deadly in middle of the field)

Creativity - 18 (If given the ball he is likely to make something out of nothing, creativity can change a game in a instance, if he was in my team i would set his creative freedom to high.)

So basically if he was in my team I would set him for throwing, taking freekicks, dribbling often, long shots often, through balls often and high creative freedom, I am sure as anything, he would be amazing!

This is probably why he wasn't so successful. Did his managers utilize his freekicks? Did they tell him to take long shots which he is perfect at? Did they tell him to do what he wants or did they tell him to just do as he has told?

Did they tell him to run at defenders?

I doubt it.

This is why he was not succesful.

Undoubtedly with these stats the BEST midfielder or even player EVER seen, that includes Pele and Maradonna.

Originally posted by mattpiulton:

So basically if he was in my team I would set him for throwing, taking freekicks, dribbling often, long shots often, through balls often and high creative freedom, I am sure as anything, he would be amazing!

This is probably why he wasn't so successful. Did his managers utilize his freekicks? Did they tell him to take long shots which he is perfect at? Did they tell him to do what he wants or did they tell him to just do as he has told?

Did they tell him to run at defenders?

I doubt it.

This is why he was not succesful.

Undoubtedly with these stats the BEST midfielder or even player EVER seen, that includes Pele and Maradonna.

You can see this "perfect footballer" example a lot in regens. And as you stated, it is all about how to use them. Once I had a fairly decent midfielder in my FM07 game (which is the the one the experiment is going on), but he had over 17 in his passing, tackling, creativity, technique and bravery. He was just crap in other stats and very injury prone in fact. But when he plays, he was godly. Once you know how to get the best out of what you got, it is all good. Yet we see this last season in Bandits also. Left Back 1, playing wingers in the middle of park... It just doesn't make sense to us but AI can misuse the stars in their hands also.

Originally posted by mattpiulton:

Take a look at his mental attributes for bravery and determination Maia. If you think that probably some key hidden attributes were also low, there you have it the reason for his bad performances. He was undoubtedly talented, but like many others lacking the mindset to really achieve greatness.

Originally posted by VonBlade:

Amazing what a difference an actual manager can make! Some stunning signings who could, with the Bandits now decent reputation, stay on for years to come.

Wonderful news icon_biggrin.gif

If he can claw them upto a UEFA spot, or a decent cup run to achieve same, the future is suddenly looking bright.

Fantastic.

I love fans - so optimistic after anything changes icon_smile.gif

Not to say you're wrong though, as a fan myself I was delighted with the signings too.

Originally posted by 442to445:

There's no doubting Angus' abilities both for man management and encouraging talent in to the side, however with a 'Very Cautious' playing style I'm worried he might not have the confidence to push the Bandits on to the next level and bring the best out of them.

I have a bad feeling a season of mid-table mediocrity approaches, but then again, after LM1 and the horrible hash he made of things with such a promising team, any signs of improvement will be good.

In fairness practically every manager in their history has been 'Very Cautious', and some have found success. In fact, some of the Bandits' best seasons have been when they've managed to shore up their defence.

Originally posted by bitlos:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattpiulton:

Take a look at his mental attributes for bravery and determination Maia. If you think that probably some key hidden attributes were also low, there you have it the reason for his bad performances. He was undoubtedly talented, but like many others lacking the mindset to really achieve greatness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I was about to say - I wish, at the time, I'd looked more at his hidden attributes, they may have revealed exactly what was going on.

Remember he played poorly not just for Milan, but for Portugal too, so that's two different tactical minds unable to make the most of his apparent talent.

Bandits report – Season report (part 1)

The Bandits were not used to being in the news so much. Throughout the entire summer there was speculation that Left Back 1 wouldn’t make it to August, but as he started to bring new faces into the club it became clear that the board were going to give him one more chance to impress. But the smart money was still on him becoming the first Premiership manager to lose his job this season.

And so it transpired. After an uninspiring summer of signings, the season started poorly with a loss at Sunderland, before a comfortable win at home to Barnsley set them off. But with the manager under huge pressure, the next two fixtures were ones he’d rather avoid, matches against the dominant pairing of Sheff Wed and Chelsea.

But draws were gained in both games, and he kept his job despite continuing unrest in the stands. A win over Bolton in the League Cup was a welcome distraction, but the feeling was that he was one poor result away from the sack, and a dismal defeat away at QPR was the final nail in the coffin, and he was removed from his post after only sixteen months.

Neil Angus appeared the best of the candidates to replace him, and with the board choosing carefully amidst an international break, they made the right choice and appointed the experienced man. His honeymoon period was excellent, winning four and drawing one of his opening five matches, including two League Cup victories pushing them into the quarter finals of their favourite competition.

Losses against Arsenal and Charlton put them back in mid table, and until Christmas they were alternating victories with defeats and staying firmly in the central pack. The League Cup quarter final against Man City, who would finish second in the Premiership, was a tough match, but an excellent performance from veteran keeper Owen Paris and a solitary goal from Javier Esteban Martin was enough to put them through to their seventh League Cup semi final.

The alternation of good performances with bad continued after Christmas, best demonstrated when they suffered the worst defeat in their history, a 5-0 stuffing at Anfield, before hammering Burnley 4-0 just four days later. It was an impressive reaction.

As December turned to January, the transfer window opened and Angus made some shrewd signings, albeit mostly ones for the future. The fans began to get excited that they may just be turning a corner, and the players themselves were impressed by what they saw from some of the youngsters. It appeared the baton would soon be passed.

On the pitch, the Bandits received an awful FA Cup draw, going to Anfield again a little over a week after being torn apart there. But a much improved performance saw a 1-1 draw gained, and the pride of at least taking them to a replay. It would get so much better, as by way of revenge Liverpool would be played off the park in the second match, the Bandits running out comfortable 3-0 winners.

With the team in mid table, unlikely to challenge for Europe or get sucked into a relegation battle, the cups were proving to be important, but the League Cup draw was unkind, pitting them against Sheff Wed, who for the third year in succession, were dominating all that came before them. They would end up winning the Premiership by another huge margin of thirteen points, and as the League Cup winners for the past two seasons, it was an uphill battle.

Sky were busy building up the clash, pointing to all the history between the clubs. Twice in successive years they played each other in the final, winning one each, while out of the previous six League Cup semi finals the Bandits had won an impressive five. Could they continue that fine record?

Guest arrogantio
Originally posted by bitlos:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattpiulton:

Take a look at his mental attributes for bravery and determination Maia. If you think that probably some key hidden attributes were also low, there you have it the reason for his bad performances. He was undoubtedly talented, but like many others lacking the mindset to really achieve greatness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Imagine a player that can do almost anything in football with effortless brilliance. Unfortunately, he can only be bothered to do things properly for 10 minutes of the match. That's Maia

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bitlos:

Take a look at his mental attributes for bravery and determination Maia. If you think that probably some key hidden attributes were also low, there you have it the reason for his bad performances. He was undoubtedly talented, but like many others lacking the mindset to really achieve greatness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Imagine a player that can do almost anything in football with effortless brilliance. Unfortunately, he can only be bothered to do things properly for 10 minutes of the match. That's Maia </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like Matt Le Tissier

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bitlos:

Take a look at his mental attributes for bravery and determination Maia. If you think that probably some key hidden attributes were also low, there you have it the reason for his bad performances. He was undoubtedly talented, but like many others lacking the mindset to really achieve greatness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Imagine a player that can do almost anything in football with effortless brilliance. Unfortunately, he can only be bothered to do things properly for 10 minutes of the match. That's Maia </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could he do it effortlessly? I doubt that a guy with bravery 4 could be going around dribbling dangerous tackles, probably he and his determination 4 would prefer not even trying.

Archived