AI Experiment - what would happen if?

The ‘Ryan Morley’s of the world

Ryan Morley may have peaked early, because his CA dropped six points from his peak this season, falling back to 180. However, he is still flying for Chelsea, scoring 28 goals at an average of 7.62, and continuing to be a world star.

He came second in World Footballer of the Year for the second season running, also coming second in English Players Player of the Year. His 22 league goals saw him crowned the Premiership top scorer.

He is still scoring at more than a goal a game for England, with 48 goals in his 47 caps, a remarkable achievement considering that so many of his early caps saw him come off the bench. At 27, he could be said to be peaking, and this summer’s World Cup could be the one at which he truly stars.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team analysis

Goalkeepers

James Wade (26, 159/164) is definitely still the first choice goalkeeper, and had another excellent season this term – if he does decide to leave at some point he will be sorely missed. But at 26, his best years are still ahead of him and he may shortly become the club’s first 160 CA player.

Behind him, there is some excellent young talent. Tommy O’Neill (20, 140/157), who Wade is currently tutoring, rose 15 CA points this season and occasionally featured in the first team, while Dave Banks (22, 138/146) provides additional cover.

Summary: The Bandits are very well covered here.

Defenders

Ricky Holmes (26, 154/155) remains the first choice left back, and had a reasonable season. He is, however, short of backup, with only Stanislav Hruska (31, 135/135) for cover. Hruska is aging now though.

At right back, on loan Glen Read (26, 157/170) was the main man, but he played appallingly, and won’t be missed next season. Hruska provided cover on this flank too, but the up and coming star of the right side is Italian Ferdinando Mariotti (20, 133/163), who should take over next season.

In the centre, it is all change. German Nunez (26, 158/158), the Paraguayan signed for 7.75m, is a regular, and while Matt Dyke (27, 154/156) started the season partnering him, that all changed in January with the 8m capture of Charlie Morgan (25, 153/173), who settled in well to partner Nunez.

Dyke is now a reserve, along with his partner from last season, Matt Nicholson (27, 148/153).

Summary: In the centre they are fine with two excellent signings, but they need a new right back to help Mariotti, and some backup for Holmes on the left.

Midfielders

At left wing, Christian Frank (27, 142/157) was signed on loan, and he pushed Frederic Leroy (27, 156/156) out of the side, after he’d starred for the past two seasons. The rest of the backup is extremely poor.

On the right, the undoubted first choice was again David Sabin (25, 154/158), who is unfortunately determined to join a bigger club as soon as possible. He has two years left on his contract, but if his wish is fulfilled, they Bandits will need to act as his cover is poor, with only Mark Love (27, 122/122) and Dean Gayle (18, 115/130) having any ability, and neither being good enough.

In the centre, there was a new partnership, with Ryan Avery (27, 154/154) breaking into the first team alongside new signing Adrien Grosjean (26, 158/158). Michael Horton (26, 158/159) still provides admirable cover, and Bobby Eyre (21, 135/157) is a real prospect for the future. Colin Harris (27, 147/157) is now fading having never played well for the club.

Summary: They need backup at left wing having covered the position with a loan signing, and if Sabin leaves they definitely need a right winger. In the centre they are very well covered.

Strikers

Ross Ellis (27, 157/157) continued as the first choice striker, scoring 21 goals in an excellent season, while his partner was Rob O’Neill (28, 148/148), who forced his way back into the team and contributed 19 goals of his own.

In January, Paul Spicer (22, 150/156) was signed, and is possibly first choice now, but wasn’t for the bulk of the season so won’t be counted as top man yet. Further back is Craig Hutton (28, 146/148), who isn’t happy with being replaced in the side, and Karl Dudley (21, 139/157) who wants to leave because of the strong competition.

As if this wasn’t enough, there’s a real youth prospect in Paul Dove (17, 114/171), who could be huge if he stays with the club.

Summary: They are very well covered here.

Last season’s shopping list:

Centre Back – signed (German Nunez, Charlie Morgan)

Central Midfielder – signed (Adrien Grosjean)

Stars – not signed

Edwards again improved his squad, plugging all the gaps, but a few more have since arisen.

Summer shopping list: Left Back, Right Back, Left Winger, Right Winger

They need strengthening down both flanks – with Leroy and Sabin the only two decent players down either side, and the latter unhappy, they need some work here. Down the spine of the team, they are at their strongest.

First XI Summary

GK: Wade (26, 159/164) – 7.32

LB: Holmes (26, 154/155) – 6.70

CB: Nunez (26, 158/158) – 6.97

CB: Morgan (25, 153/173) – 6.71

RB: Read (26, 157/170) – 6.26

LM: Frank (27, 142/157) – 6.77

CM: Avery (27, 154/154) – 6.95

CM: Grosjean (26, 158/158) – 7.03

RM: Sabin (25, 154/158) – 6.91

ST: Ellis (27, 157/157) – 7.38

ST: O’Neill (28, 148/148) – 7.32

Average age – 26.3 (up from last year’s 25.7)

Average CA – 154.0 (up from last year’s 153.5)

Average rating – 6.94 (up from last year’s 6.85)

There is something of a concern here – with the entire first team aged between 25 and 28, a few younger players must be integrated otherwise the Bandits will be replacing their entire team at the same time, in a few years, which would be dangerous to say the least. The average ability and performance of the side crept up, but loan players must be replaced properly this summer.

Ones to watch

Your annual guide to the stars of tomorrow:

Barry Low (18, 118/195) is a Scottish attacking midfielder playing for Dunfermline. He may not have started a game for them yet, but he’s certainly sparked the interest of many clubs, and it’s West Ham who have beaten the rest to his signature – he will be joining in the summer.

Ronnie Blundell (17, 107/195) is the new up and coming player who may in the future star in the centre of England’s midfield. He is a product of Derby’s youth system, and is yet to get near their first team.

Seydou Kamara (19, 112/194) is a central midfielder playing for ASEC in his home country of the Ivory Coast. He is yet to make any sort of impact in the world, but surely will.

Previous tips

Carlo Lupo (22, 185/198) rose only one point of CA this season, but is now a rock for both Milan and Italy at the heart of the defence. Has plenty of time to reach his enormous potential.

Toni Halonen (22, 176/187), the Finnish centre back, cannot seem to get a game at Stamford Bridge, the graveyard of so many starlets’ careers over the years. He is a regular for his country though, reaching 25 caps.

Patrick Schmidt (21, 178/184) added another seven points to his CA this season and is thriving at Valencia, and at international level for Germany.

Marian Badea (21, 138/189), the Romanian left sided player, is still at Zenith Peterburg, where he rose another ten points of CA. He is still unambitious and unknown.

Slim Sellami (18, 122/188), the Tunisian forward, rose another 14 points and is quickly improving, but has been bizarrely released by his club, Tunis. He is currently unattached with no-one interested in signing him. Snap him up folks.

Pereira (21, 162/187), the defensive midfielder, remains at Inter, where he is yet to make an appearance.

Aleksandras Stazys (20, 168/186), Lithuania’s left back, remains at Man City, where he is first choice, but struggling. It appears he is not ready for this kind of exposure just yet, averaging just over 6.

Tony Allison (18, 115/192), Birmingham’s forward, rose 19 points of CA and still has his entire career ahead of him. Yet to make his debut, he is still one for the future.

World beaters

Gerargo Robles (27, 197/197) retains the honour of being the best player in the world. Inter’s Mexican striker has won just about every award going over the last couple of seasons, and added another 33 goals to his tally this term. Like last season, though (as Meithiesman pointed out), he managed no assists. A truly selfish striker, but an awesome one. Watch out for him in the World Cup this summer.

Xavier Pasqualetti (27, 194/194) rises into second spot this season – PSG’s French striker could not resist the overtures of the big clubs for long though, his amazing 43 goals and 8.15 rating this season has seen the world turn to watch, and Milan have won the race for his signature. With his contract expriring, PSG are left with nothing but memories. Another one to watch in the summer.

Next come two goalkeepers, Max Trehkopf (28, 191/191), Barcelona’s German stopper, and Ruben Camara (26, 191/191), also in the Spanish league with Mallorca. The best player in the Premiership, Meng Tao (26, 191/191), Arsenal’s Chinese striker, will also be on show in the World Cup.

No others have hit the 190 mark, with the best Englishman sitting eleventh – Richard Taylor (24, 185/192), the attacking midfielder also at Arsenal.

Distribution of 180+ CA players

Milan – 5 (186, 185, 185, 183, 180)

Arsenal – 4 (191, 186, 185, 180)

Inter – 3 (197, 187, 187)

Barcelona – 3 (191, 188, 180)

Bordeaux – 2 (182, 181)

Chelsea – 2 (181, 180)

Paris – 1 (194)

Mallorca – 1 (191)

Valencia – 1 (183)

Real Madrid – 1 (182)

Man City – 1 (182)

Benfica – 1 (181)

Juventus – 1 (180)

West Ham – 1 (180)

Italy – 9

England – 8

Spain – 6

France – 3

Portugal - 1

Total – 27

Originally posted by kipfizh:

Bordeaux – 2 (182, 181)

Chelsea – 2 (181, 180)

Paris – 1 (194)

Mallorca – 1 (191)

Valencia – 1 (183)

Real Madrid – 1 (182)

Man City – 1 (182)

Benfica – 1 (181)

Juventus – 1 (180)

West Ham – 1 (180)

Italy – 9

England – 8

Spain – 6

France – 3

Portugal - 1

Total – 27

That's an excellent addition Kipfizh, I personally really like it, would you mind also breaking the players down by nationality since there's only 27 of them it shouldn't take too long I suppose.

Once again great update icon14.gif

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

Bordeaux – 2 (182, 181)

Chelsea – 2 (181, 180)

Paris – 1 (194)

Mallorca – 1 (191)

Valencia – 1 (183)

Real Madrid – 1 (182)

Man City – 1 (182)

Benfica – 1 (181)

Juventus – 1 (180)

West Ham – 1 (180)

Italy – 9

England – 8

Spain – 6

France – 3

Portugal - 1

Total – 27

That's an excellent addition Kipfizh, I personally really like it, would you mind also breaking the players down by nationality since there's only 27 of them it shouldn't take too long I suppose.

Once again great update icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the figures at the bottom were a breakdown of the players by nationality.

Great update Kip. Like the new features. Paticularly the 180+ players.

Your bandits squad reports and transfer targets are a fascinating read. To see the squad develop is very enthralling (I need to get some friends).

Brialliant stuff.

great read, got me hooked since day one when the bandits were just starting in the conference North.

Really enjoying seeing how the bandits cope with the step up the leagues and how they spend that extravagant transfer budget of theirs.

Anyway I live in spain near Barcelona and I've managed to get a few of my mates who play FM hooked to your story even though their english isn't great and I'm translating half the time for them.

Hope you keep this up and looking to when you upload the database for all of us to see how far we can take the mighty Bandits

Great update as always kip. As others have said i'm loving the addition of the 180+ players and it would be nice to see their nationalities. Now that the Bandits have cemented their place in the Premiership lets hope they can push for a European spot. Bandits on Tour!! KUTGW

I'll do that from next season - I've actually played the next season now so I can't go back and look things up but the next update will make it clearer icon_smile.gif

ajani - the Robles screenshot is on page 15, in the World Beaters section of the last update.

Update should be pretty quick this season, but as a heads up, there's been two interesting appointments:

1) Ryan Morley was made England captain for the World Cup - can the ex-Bandit lift the trophy?

2) Danny Gamble was appointed Man Utd manager - can he return them to the Premiership?

World beaters

Gerardo Robles (26, 197/197), has taken over the mantle of being the best player in the world. Inter’s Mexican striker is frighteningly good, and his status was confirmed when he won both World Player of the Year and World Footballer of the Year, beating Ryan Morley into second in both.

Gerardo Robles

@ ajani

Pic of Robles from earlier in the thread.

Thanks Kipfizh.

If I had to take a bet I'd say England loses in the semi-final of the WC and it takes Danny Gamble 2 years to take Man Utd back to the EPL.

Both Morley and Gamble would take that now....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meitheisman:

Thanks Kipfizh.

If I had to take a bet I'd say England loses in the semi-final of the WC and it takes Danny Gamble 2 years to take Man Utd back to the EPL.

Both Morley and Gamble would take that now.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like bad news coming up for the both of them... you're a tease! icon_wink.gif

I came into this last night, read the first few pages and then had to just skip to the end!

Tried to explain to the Mrs what a fantastic job kip was doing and how so many people were addicted to this thread. I may as well have tried to pour custard up a hill with a shovel.

One bit I am confused about is the CA score - how does that work?

Originally posted by waz_nufc_awk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

I'll do that from next season - I've actually played the next season now so I can't go back and look things up but the next update will make it clearer icon_smile.gif

Does this mean that there is an update coming tonight Kip? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not tonight, because I've only just started the report and have loads still to write - hopefully tomorrow.

Originally posted by Rosicky10:

I came into this last night, read the first few pages and then had to just skip to the end!

Tried to explain to the Mrs what a fantastic job kip was doing and how so many people were addicted to this thread. I may as well have tried to pour custard up a hill with a shovel.

*chuckles* love the image!

One bit I am confused about is the CA score - how does that work?

FM Genie Scout is the tool I use here - all the player attributes are summarised in an overall CA (current ability), which ranges from 1-200. Normally you can't see the value, but the tool allows you to.

Similarly, they all have a PA (potential ability) in the same range, which cannot be exceeded by the CA.

The CA score is done thusly. A player with 130CA would feature in every line below that. So he'd appear in the 120+, 110+ etc etc. Otherwise the Bandits would have a "club of thousands".

Many thanks for this excellent update Kip. Like the genius that is FM it's continually evolving and now is near perfection. The paucity of truly world-class players is amazing. Only 27 better than 180. I could name 27 current players off the top of my head lol. And I'm not even sure I'd need to get out of La Liga to do so.

Great news about the Bandits getting a good safe mid-table. The urge to join and resign another player (the "International Management" trick) must be huge. Although the Bandits would probably hire another numpty.

VB

quote:

Originally posted by waz_nufc_awk:

quote:

I'll do that from next season - I've actually played the next season now so I can't go back and look things up but the next update will make it clearer

Does this mean that there is an update coming tonight Kip?

Probably not tonight, because I've only just started the report and have loads still to write - hopefully tomorrow.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease Kip. I need another fix before I go on holiday (Friday night). I wont be able to enjoy it properly if I'm worrying about the Bandits!!!!

Originally posted by Evertonbloke:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease Kip. I need another fix before I go on holiday (Friday night). I wont be able to enjoy it properly if I'm worrying about the Bandits!!!!

It'll be tonight - I'm up to the world prospects section so nearly done....

So, it looks like the human managed original bandits are vastly superior to the AI managed bandits.

Do you think this means that the AI is always at a disadvantage. Whilst sometimes a human manager would make vastly different decisions, surely a team full of equal stars should perform the same in the early days (until transfers, training etc take effect).

I have sometimes felt this before, when taking over a poor team and not making any change,s they suddenly pick up form...

Any thoughts ?

Originally posted by PaulB75:

So, it looks like the human managed original bandits are vastly superior to the AI managed bandits.

Do you think this means that the AI is always at a disadvantage. Whilst sometimes a human manager would make vastly different decisions, surely a team full of equal stars should perform the same in the early days (until transfers, training etc take effect).

I have sometimes felt this before, when taking over a poor team and not making any change,s they suddenly pick up form...

Any thoughts ?

None of the teams are or have been managed by a human. The Bandits did well originally because they had all of their superstars still in the team.

While I will agree that the game does in the long run make things easier for the human manager (not enough money sinks in the long term(250m transfer budget??? and not talking about the bandits here...).

I think what Paul B mean is when a human manager led the Bandits (possibly Kip, but at least 2 people have tried it) they won the league without losing a game and only conceeding once or twice, whereas under their original manager they won the league but in no way as convincingly.

In peoples opinions is the games AI good enough to mimic the effect of players raising their game to impress a new manager? So often with this game i've wondered just how clever the games AI is and that's what makes this such a rivetting read. That and Kip's journalistic story telling writing style!

Season 2038-39

Club report

2006-07, English Conference South - 1st, FA Trophy - Winners

2007-08, English National Conference - 7th, FA Trophy - Final

2008-09, English National Conference – 7th

2009-10, English National Conference – 9th

2010-11, English National Conference – 6th

2011-12, English National Conference – 18th

2012-13, English National Conference – 5th

2013-14, English National Conference – 1st

2014-15, English League Two – 21st

2015-16, English League Two – 21st

2016-17, English League Two – 6th

2017-18, English League Two – 6th

2018-19, English League Two – 7th

2019-20, English League Two – 6th, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – South Semi Final

2020-21, English League Two – 10th

2021-22, English League Two – 1st, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy - Final

2022-23, English League One – 13th, Johnstone’s Paint Trophy – South Semi Final

2023-24, English League One – 11th, League Cup – Final

2024-25, English League One – 11th, League Cup – Semi-Final

2025-26, English League One – 18th

2026-27, English League One – 17th

2027-28, English League One – 14th

2028-29, English League One – 20th

2029-30, English League One – 1st

2030-31, English Championship – 14th

2031-32, English Championship – 10th, League Cup – Final

2032-33, English Championship – 12th

2033-34, English Championship – 8th

2034-35

English Championship: (Pos 21), P 46, W 13, D 13, L 20, F 53, A 67, GD -14, Pts 52

(Media Prediction: 10th)

FA Cup: 4th Round

League Cup: 3rd Round

2035-36

English Championship: (Pos 2), P 46, W 21, D 11, L 14, F 64, A 49, GD +15, Pts 74

(Media Prediction: 21st)

FA Cup: 3rd Round

League Cup: Quarter-Final

2036-37

English Premiership: (Pos 17), P 38, W 12, D 4, L 22, F 42, A 72, GD -30, Pts 40

(Media Prediction: 20th)

FA Cup: 3rd Round

League Cup: 3rd Round

2037-38

English Premiership: (Pos 12), P 38, W 11, D 15, L 12, F 56, A 63, GD -7, Pts 48

(Media Prediction: 20th)

FA Cup: Quarter-Final

League Cup: 2nd Round

2038-39

English Premiership: (Pos 15), P 38, W 13, D 7, L 18, F 45, A 61, GD -16, Pts 46

(Media Prediction: 19th)

League

FA Cup: Semi-Final

League Cup: 2nd Round

The Bandits entered the summer full of optimism after the flying run they ended last season on. Phil Edwards strengthened again, spending another 16m on new players, and even the media increased their expectations for the season, predicting them one place above the bottom, still favourites for the drop though.

For the first half of the season they barely moved – sitting 12th-13th until Christmas, comfortably away from the drop zone, but unable to go on the run required to push themselves forward.

In January, Edwards attempted to reignite his squad by spending a further 25m, giving the squad a massive boost, but it didn’t seem to work, as the club slipped into a destructive run of form, and into the relegation zone with only a handful of games left. Would this be the first relegation?

With three games left, the Bandits needed at least one win, probably two, and the fixtures were hard – matches with Leeds and Chelsea ending the season. But they clawed their way out by winning each of their last three games to surge back up to 15th and end the season on a high note.

I am getting increasingly concerned about the ability of Phil Edwards. Now rated as one of the worst managers in the Premiership, and getting worse, he is using the massive transfer kitty to paper over the cracks. A team spending 30m-40m every year should be pulling away from the relegation zone but they aren’t. Once again the squad is far better than before, but once again they found themselves in a relegation dogfight at the end of the season.

With expectations so low, he is unlikely to get sacked before he retires in a couple of years time (probably), are we now just counting down the years until that day, before the Bandits can move forward again? Or is he going to slip and take them down before he departs?

In the cups, there was another early exit in the League Cup, but the FA Cup provided a fine run, reaching the semi finals, where they lost to eventual winners Derby.

I am worried about the Bandits. If they can get rid of Phil Edwards and allow a more talented manager to funds he is spending, I think they’ll do well. Until that day, the end of the season may continue to be anxious.

Player reports

Goalkeeper 1 – Retired from playing 03/07/2032

2032-, Sunderland (scout), CA 170, PA 170

2033-2034, Liverpool (scout), CA 170, PA 170

2034-, West Ham (assistant manager), CA 170, PA 170

Seems content at West Ham, who return to the peak of English football by winning the Premiership.

Goalkeeper 2 – Retired from playing 27/06/2032

2032-, Tottenham (scout), CA 170, PA 170

2033-2034, Birmingham (assistant manager), CA 170, PA 170

2034-, Leeds (assistant manager), CA 169, PA 170

Remains at the club he spent most of his playing career at, but they struggle to 12th.

Left Back 1 – Retired from playing 30/06/2030

2030-2031, Scunthorpe (fitness coach), CA 110, PA 110

2031-2034, Tottenham (assistant manager), CA 110, PA 110

2034-2035, Tottenham (coach), CA 110, PA 110

2035-, Tottenham (assistant manager), CA 110, PA 110

CA returns to its peak level as Spurs finish ninth.

Right Mid 1 – Retired from playing 25/04/2026

2026-2027, Aston Villa (youth coach), CA 130, PA 130

2027-2035, Chelsea (assistant manager), CA 130, PA 130

2035-2037, Chelsea (manager), CA 130, PA 130

2037-2038, Roma (manager), CA 130, PA 130

2038-, Chelsea (manager), CA 130, PA 130

Returns to former haunts to rejoin Chelsea as manager, but they are disappointing, finishing sixth in the Premiership and winning nothing.

Centre Mid 1 – Retired from playing 02/07/2030

2030-2032, Liverpool (youth coach), CA 110, PA 110

2032-, Reading (coach), CA 109, PA 110

CA slips a little as Reading finish in a comfortable tenth.

Other stats

Ryan Morley was appointed England captain for the World Cup, but it was an absolute disaster – a 0-0 draw with Turkey was followed up by a 1-0 defeat by Uruguay, leaving the team needing a win over USA to have any chance of qualifying. They failed, drawing 0-0, and departed from the World Cup without even managing to score a goal.

Portugal went on to win the competition, beating France 2-1 after extra time in the final, and in the process their star Pereira managed a new man of the match record, winning the award four times throughout the tournament. Elsewhere, England did extend their unbeaten record to 24 games before losing to Uruguay, while at the other end of the scale South Korea stretched their games without a win to fourteen after three more group stage defeats.

England are back on track in the European Championship qualifiers, with three wins out of three and no goals conceded once again.

West Ham claimed the Premiership on the final day of the season, ahead of resurgent QPR. Behind them, Man City and champions Sunderland filled out the top four spots, so none of the original big four got in this season – a rare occurrence. Meanwhile, the Bandits broke their own record for the highest average attendance, attracting around 93715 fans per game.

In the Championship, Danny Gamble was hired by Man Utd before the season started, but with them flirting close to another relegation, he was fired. They ended up 18th, miles away from promotion. More worrying for them is that they are now valued at 92m (and falling), with a loan debt of 164m.

Derby beat Newcastle in the FA Cup final to prevent the Geordies retaining the trophy, with Championship Brentford reaching the semi finals, while Matlock Town became the latest laughing stock of the competition, losing their ninth game in a row. Arsenal beat Liverpool in the League Cup, where Rotherham finally ended their twelve year losing streak by reaching the second round.

The Champions League went back to Italy, with Milan beating Valencia in the final, while Benfica beat Sporting in an all-Portuguese UEFA Cup final. Pyunik, of Albania, are now on a 29 match winless streak in the UEFA Cup, a run stretching back thirteen years.

English Teams and Managers

Premiership

1. West Ham (+1), Paul Robinson (49, 118/120)

2. QPR (+8), Andy Mason (63, 83/120)

3. Man City (+6), Turgay Tufan (44, 156/156) (new manager)

4. Sunderland (-3), Chris Sedgwick (59, 100/113) (new manager)

5. Arsenal (-1), Lee Bailey (57, 115/120) (new manager)

6. Chelsea (-3), Right Mid 1 (49, 130/130) (new manager)

7. Scunthorpe (-), David Eyre (48, 65/67) (new manager)

8. Liverpool (-3), Michael Bates (62, 86/106) (new manager)

9. Tottenham (+6), Tore Reginiussen (53, 130/130)

10. Reading (-2), Paul Moore (56, 118/120)

11. Newcastle (-), Jeff Forsyth (51, 153/154) (new manager)

12. Leeds (-6), Peter Flynn (64, 93/118)

13. Chesterfield (+3), Eric May (39, 120/120) (new manager)

14. Stoke (P), Stuart Davies (56, 102/113)

15. Bandits (-3), Phil Edwards (62, 92/120)

16. Sheff Wed (P), Chris Swailes (65, 80/120) (new manager)

17. Derby (-), Charlie Taylor (63, 110/129) (new manager)

18. West Brom (-4), Danny Gamble (52, 118/120) (new manager)

19. Portsmouth (-6), Ben Clayton (45, 93/93) (new manager)

20. Notts County (P), Lewis Flanagan (47, 138/138) (new manager)

An incredible thirteen teams now have a different manager than this time last year, all over the league. Paul Robinson took West Ham to the top, while Andy Mason defied his CA to take QPR up to second. Tufan proved his ability as a manager, leaving Liverpool to push Man City upwards, while Newcastle lost Garba but replaced him with the also excellent Jeff Forsyth, leaving them in a decent position.

The Bandits have problems with Phil Edwards, especially as he is a few years away from retirement in all likelihood, but QPR, Liverpool and Sheff Wed all have worse managers, and if Eyre is still in charge of Scunthorpe next season, they’ll probably go down.

Promoted from Championship

1. Coventry ®, Adam Pearson (50, 109/109)

2. Charlton (+16), Oliver France (62, 120/134)

6. Aston Villa (+13), Curtis Davies (54, 108/108)

All three promoted sides have a shout at survival next season, all being relatively big clubs with decent managers. Could the Bandits be in trouble?

Summary

I am left wondering how long it’ll be until the Bandits’ luck runs out. The squad gets better every year, but their manager gets worse as he creeps towards retirement and as a result the club doesn’t move forward. They need a new man at the helm, because all Edwards is doing is spending big to cover his own lack of ability, and flirting with relegation every season. It is time for a change.

Relegation was closer this season, with another fine end of season run saving them, but it came down to the last three games this time around. With many of the squad considering their options, I fear for them next season unless something is done.

Perhaps we need the media to predict 15th-16th, and a poor start getting him sacked, before the new man comes in and has time to turn it around. Or perhaps we just need to wait a few seasons for him to retire. Either way, I can’t see the Bandits becoming a truly big club with Phil Edwards at the helm.

West Ham returned to the top of the Premiership, and none of the original big four will be in the Champions League next season – QPR, Man City and Sunderland becoming new heavyweights of English football along with the Hammers.

Sunderland surprised everyone by claiming the Premiership, but like Reading before them, there is nothing to suggest that they can sustain this – can they prove everyone wrong and retain it? After all, their victory was a comfortable one.

One of the original heavyweights, Man Utd, are steeped in problems. Near the foot of the Championship, their debt is nearly twice their estimated club value, which is dropping like a stone every year. All their good players want to leave – can they ever become a big club again or are they the in-game Leeds?

Right Mid 1 is back at Chelsea where he played for so long – he didn’t do too well when he was last there, can this spell be an improvement?

Bandit’s former manager watch

Justin Edinburgh has retired.

Steve Brackstone has retired

Gary Perry, at 66, is still out of work, but hasn’t retired yet.

Dean Glover has retired.

Martin Lawton has retired.

Danny Gamble was hired by Man Utd pre season, but was sacked again with them sitting 18th in the Championship. It didn’t help them, as they finished in exactly the same position, but in the meantime Gamble was hired by West Brom, 19th in the Premiership, and while he rose them one spot to 18th, they still got relegated.

Bandits squad

General

Stats

Finance Overview

Interested Players

The number of interested players took a sharp drop this season, falling from the high of 8655 to 8294.

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

Wade, GK, 27, 160-164 (+1)

Ivic, AM L, 26, 158-161 – new signing

Horton, MC, 27, 158-159 (0)

Grosjean, MC, 27, 158-158 (0)

Nunez, DC, 27, 158-158 (0)

Ellis, AM/F C, 28, 157-157 (0)

Leroy, AM L, 28, 156-156 (0)

Morgan, DC, 26, 155-173 (+2)

Spicer, ST, 23, 155-156 (+5)

Holmes, D LC, 27, 155-155 (+1)

Dyke, DC, 28, 154-156 (0)

Avery, MC, 28, 154-154 (0)

Luckett, AM RL, 25, 153-172 – new signing

Stephenson, DR, 26, 153-161 – new signing

White, AM R, 25, 150-152 – new signing

Gibbs, M LC, 23, 149-158 – new signing

M Nicholson, DC, 28, 148-153 (0)

R O’Neill, ST, 29, 148-148 (0)

Small, DC, DM, 22, 146-167 – new signing

Dudley, AM/F C, 22, 146-157 (+7)

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:

Read, DR, DM, M RC, 26, 157-170 – returned to Man City after loan

Sabin, D/AM R, 25, 154-158

Frank, AM RL, 27, 142-157 – returned to Seville after loan

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:

Harris, DM, 28, 146-157 (-1)

T O’Neill, GK, 21, 145-157 (+5)

Hutton, ST, 29, 144-148 (-2)

The Bandits finally have their first ever 160 CA player, in James Wade, and the squad strength is once again on the rise – Karl Dudley was 20th last season with a CA of 139, even with a rise of seven he remains in the same spot. Meanwhile, Tommy O’Neill rose from 140 to 145 but still dropped out of the top 20.

Ivic is an excellent signing at the top end, while apart from the loan players returning, the only player of note to leave was David Sabin, who went to Liverpool for 6.75m, the same amount the Bandits originally paid for him. Given that he’s been unhappy for over a year, that’s not bad business.

The squad continues to improve, but the fortunes of the club do not – will this ever change? And will star players ever be bought?

CA of X or above:

190 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

180 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

170 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

160 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1

150 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 6, 10, 13, 15

140 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 5, 5, 6, 10, 9, 9, 14, 19, 27

130 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 5, 8, 10, 13, 10, 11, 22, 28, 32

120 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 2, 2, 6, 6, 7, 5, 5, 12, 13, 14, 18, 16, 15, 29, 37, 38

110 : 0, 2, 2, 3, 2, 6, 7, 6, 6, 7, 8, 7, 7, 9, 10, 10, 12, 12, 13, 13, 16, 23, 25, 23, 24, 21, 22, 39, 42, 39

100 : 2, 4, 7, 7, 6, 13, 13, 12, 13, 13, 16, 12, 12, 12, 16, 16, 19, 21, 20, 18, 24, 31, 32, 28, 30, 29, 27, 43, 45, 40

90 : 7, 11, 10, 9, 10, 16, 17, 15, 15, 20, 22, 16, 15, 17, 20, 22, 29, 33, 26, 24, 29, 32, 36, 31, 33, 31, 28, 46, 51, 44

80 : 13, 14, 13, 13, 16, 21, 21, 18, 16, 21, 26, 20, 22, 21, 26, 26, 34, 36, 32, 31, 33, 40, 40, 33, 34, 33, 30, 50, 53, 47

70 : 19, 22, 21, 20, 22, 27, 25, 19, 23, 25, 30, 23, 25, 27, 28, 30, 35, 39, 38, 35, 37, 42, 43, 36, 37, 36, 33, 55, 57, 50

60 : 26, 26, 25, 23, 24, 32, 30, 24, 26, 30, 32, 26, 28, 28, 38, 33, 40, 44, 41, 37, 40, 45, 45, 38, 43, 37, 38, 60, 60, 53

50 : 30, 31, 31, 26, 26, 35, 33, 28, 32, 34, 35, 30, 32, 34, 42, 37, 43, 46, 43, 42, 44, 49, 49, 45, 47, 43, 42, 62, 61, 56

The picture is again rosy, with large increases at the top end, all the way down to 120+, which now covers the best 38 players in the squad. No more than that should be required, so the trimming that has been going on below that level is also a good thing.

In reality, the important number is the 140+ level. The Bandits now have 27 players with CA of at least 140, way up from last season’s total of 19. This number should be enough to cover most matches now, so some stars are what is needed.

Best and Worst

New records:

Biggest Win : 5-1 v Ipswich, FA Cup 3rd Round (previous: 4-0)

Highest Transfer Fee Paid: 8.75m for Shaun Gibbs (previous: 8m for Charlie Morgan)

Total Transfer Spending: 42m (previous: 34.5m)

Total Transfer Income: 18.25m

This season:

Best player – Ellis, 7.52

Top scorer – Ellis, 17

Worst player – Ivic, 6.50

The Bandits remain third in the rich list:

Rich Clubs

The ‘Ryan Morley’s of the world

Ryan Morley’s CA drop was stopped this year, rising back up two points to 182, and it has been a proud season for him, appointed England captain and leading his country to the World Cup.

The competition was an absolute disaster though, with England going home in the group stage having failed to score, but elsewhere his international record remains remarkable, with 56 goals in his 55 caps, one per game this season despite the appalling tournament.

For Chelsea he scored another thirty goals, at an average of 7.52, coming second in World Player of the Year, and third in English Footballer of the Year.

At 28, he still has plenty of his career ahead of him, and again scored against the Bandits in both league games this season – he loves his old haunt.

Team analysis

Goalkeepers

James Wade (27, 160/164) continues as the Bandits’ first choice stopper, becoming the club’s first 160 CA player this season, and marking that by once again playing superbly.

Behind him in the pecking order are Tommy O’Neill (21, 145/157), who is quickly improving, and Dave Banks (23, 141/146), who also provides excellent cover.

Summary: The Bandits are well stocked in keepers.

Defenders

Ricky Holmes (27, 155/155) continues at left back, playing adequately, but again he isn’t being pushed for a first team place as the only cover is Stanislav Hruska (32, 130/135), who is fading, Josh Bowker (22, 121/126), who isn’t good enough, and Martijn van der Vall (23, 129/138), also unlikely to challenge.

On the right, Read returned to Man City after his loan and Mariotti was sold, so a new right back was desperately needed, and signed in Matt Stephenson (26, 153/161), who played for the Bandits until sold a few years ago. He has some cover is Hruska, who can also play on the right, and Mika Rantala (21, 142/155), a bright prospect.

In the centre, the partnership of German Nunez (27, 158/158) and Charlie Morgan (26, 155/173) remains, both playing solidly, while Matt Dyke (28, 154/156) provides excellent cover. Matt Nicholson (28, 148/152) remains a reserve, while another new signing, Gary Small (22, 146/167) is likely to push hard for a first team place next season.

Summary: Well covered in the centre, they need some backup at left and right back.

Midfielders

Danijel Ivic (26, 158/161) is the new left winger for the Bandits, while Frederic Leroy (28, 156/156), once such a star for the club, has been pushed down to the reserves.

On the right, David Sabin was the first choice for half the season before he left for Liverpool, and now that position belongs to the excellent prospect of Darren Luckett (25, 153/172), who is settling in. Ross White (25, 150/152) provides cover.

In the centre, Adrien Grosjean (27, 158/158) keeps his place, while there is competition to be his partner. That role falls mainly to Shaun Gibbs (23, 149/158), but his position is challenged by Michael Horton (27, 158/159), and Ryan Avery (28, 154/154).

Summary: Again, in central positions they are looking absolutely fine, and are now better covered on both flanks, so nothing is desperately needed, just a few star names if possible.

Strikers

Paul Spicer (23, 155/156) is now a regular starter for the Bandits, scoring eleven goals in his first full season, and he is partnered by the always excellent Ross Ellis (28, 157/157), who scored seventeen and managed an average rating of 7.52 in a tremendous season.

Rob O’Neill (29, 148/148) continues to provide decent cover, adding nine goals, while Craig Lyon (22, 142/150), the prospect Paul Dove (18, 135/171) and Craig Hutton (29, 144/148) fill out the squad well.

Summary: No-one is required, but a star striker wouldn’t go amiss.

Last season’s shopping list:

Left Back – not signed

Right Back – signed (Matt Stephenson)

Left Winger – signed (Danijel Ivic)

Right Winger – signed (Darren Luckett)

Left Back remains a requirement, but now with the squad looking strong al round now, some star players are needed.

Summer shopping list: Left Back, 160+ CA players

They need competition at left back, but beyond that they just need top players to push them forward.

First XI Summary

GK: Wade (27, 160/164) – 7.22

LB: Holmes (27, 155/155) – 6.74

CB: Nunez (27, 158/158) – 6.91

CB: Morgan (26, 155/173) – 7.12

RB: Stephenson (26, 153/161) – 6.85

LM: Ivic (26, 158/161) – 6.50

CM: Grosjean (27, 158/158) – 7.14

CM: Gibbs (23, 149/158) – 6.86

RM: Luckett (25, 153/172) – 6.53

ST: Spicer (23, 155/156) – 7.00

ST: Ellis (28, 157/157) – 7.52

Average age – 25.9 (down from last year’s 26.3)

Average CA – 155.5 (up from last year’s 154.0)

Average rating – 6.94 (no change from last year’s 6.94)

The squad continues to improve, but with the reputation of the Bandits dropping many are considering their options, which is a serious concern.

Archived