So many penalty misses

So far in my first season at Watford (including pre-season) I have had a total of 8 penalties given to me and a ludicrous SEVEN have been missed.

Now I all three penalty takers I have chosen have got at least 'good' ratings in finishing, composure and penalty taking, so is this a bug or something?

Finally, I've trained all three to individually allocate training in penalties and make sure there aren't any PPMs for 'shoot with power' or something. Anyway, it getting ridiculous and I hope this is cleared up in the Final patch.

Only had 3 pens so far in FM11, playing as wolves, missed all three, that might just be bad luck, but interestly all three pens where blasted into row z in pretty much the same fashion, all three pen takers were different, will update as I get more pens to see if im just really unlucky.

I also feel that too many penalties are missed in FM. The Bundesliga players are taking FM11 as a bad example. 4 penalties, 4 misses today...

EDIT: Just realised that this might sound ironic.. it wasn't meant ironic!

Aye, it may not have meant to be ironic, but it does kinda prove the point that the game isnt necessarily wrong.

Aye, it may not have meant to be ironic, but it does kinda prove the point that the game isnt necessarily wrong.

You're right.

One mistake many FM-users do is that they bring up one-time incidents.. we need to look at the bigger picture. I think penalty conversion rate is somewhere between 75-80% in real life. We should look at 100 FM-penalties and then decide whether the game models penalties 'realistic' or not.

In my game penalty conversions are so bad, it is almost comical. not only for my club but for my opponents as well. In a recent game I was playing against Arsenal and Van persie missed 2 in 1 game. For my club I would say 25% of them are scored on. Too bad I can't cancel the penalty because I would just prefer to have a throw in.

It does happen though in real life I think it was Tottenham recently they kept missing penalties until Van der vaart arrived and took over penalty duty.

Still could be worse you could be Martin Palermo who famously missed three in a Copa America match against Colombia

What's concentration got to do with taking a set piece?

well if you have poor concentration how on earth can you concentrate with all the fans at the stadium and the hectic business on the field ? you'll end up duffing the shot of spraying it to 1 side of the goals

I had exactly the same problem - a total of 12 penalties in a row missed between my team and the opposition. This was also in pre-season. After the season kicked in and players were all match fit, things seemed to go back to normal (i.e. the odd miss here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary like 12 in a row all not even on target).

I suspect a possible issue with player condition making them crappy penalty takers, as others also seem to be having the same issue either in pre-season, when players aren't fit, or in penalty shoot outs (when condition is also low after 120 mins).

It does seem off TBH. Penalty kicks aren't hard to score on.

When I played soccer when I was younger. We had one kid on our team who took all the kicks. He missed 2 in the two seasons I played with him. He doesn't play soccer anymore and isn't a professional.

im pretty sure you friend would not have been under the same pressure as professional players, i am also pretty sure the level of goal keepers he was facing was of a slightly lesser quality than most professional goal keepers.

Goalies don't make very many saves on penalty kicks. The shooter usually misses the net or shoots it straight at the keeper. Very rarely the keeper will make an amazing save.

Goalies don't make very many saves on penalty kicks. The shooter usually misses the net or shoots it straight at the keeper. Very rarely the keeper will make an amazing save.

still if the quality of keeper is higher it makes the penalty more difficult, its no coicedence that Pepe Rena has a very good record of saving penalty kicks, he studies players and the way they take penalties so he can learn and save more than other keepers do. Oliver Khan or Jens Lehman (cant remember which one) once had a note in his sock of the sides the opposing penalty takers usually go to during a shoot out, and he ended up saving most of them, so a good keeper makes a very big difference.

Anyway a penalty kick is a very difficult chance to score, the pressure and time you get can make it very hard to score.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Thought I´ll post my experience with penalties here

After 19 Matches played in the first season, we have been given 5 penalties and missed all of them.

That has got to be some kind of record if it was to happen IRL. :)

Latest miss happened today in the FA cup 1st round game against Barrow, but it didn´t matter because we went on to win 3-0 anyways..

If anyone plays with Wrexham, i suggest you lot not to use Andy Morrell as your designated penalty taker. Andy seems to have decent Penalty taker attributes for BSP level, but somehow he has managed to squander all of his chances.

Honestly, in every one of these threads there are posts saying "it's not just the penalty rating, it's also ratings for finishing, composure bravery etc"

If this is the case, what exactly is the point of having a penalty stat? Does it just mean he can bang in 20/20 in training or what? You may as well just pick the guy who has the best finishing and composure and do away with the penalty stat, because if you get a guy with a 20 for penalty taking, but has low finishing and low composure so he misses more than he takes, what's the point of having a rating for penalties in the first place?

It's just ridiculously over-complicated that way.

Hahaa, Surely enough after posting on this thread my other striker went on and scored our first goal from penalty spot.

So it´s 1 out of 6 converted now.

It was the Magpies reject Wesley Ngo Baheng who had the nerves to score from the spot on our 5-1 triumph against 2nd placed Mansfield.

in my 2.5 seasons in my current save, i havent missed a single penalty. I get them usually once every 4 games on average

i find this very hard to believe, im playing as arsenal and i miss at least 7 penalties a season from some of my best players, aguero keeps missing ronaldo keeps missing my new regen whos 19 penalty taking and 17 finishing composure concentration has missed 4 penalties in a row

its like i dont know who should take the penalties

Archived