Question for Steam Users - Using Multiple PCs

When I got FM2010 Last year I used STEAM to download it and its on my laptop

My Question is ... is there a way to get the game on my desktop as well? Do I have to pay extra for it like buying a second copy or something or is there a way to get it on my 2nd PC without having to pay extra?

If there is a way say Im on my laptop paying a season and I save it.. if I go to the deskop will the game pick up where It left off from my last save on the other computer?

Thanks

Tom

You should be able to log onto Steam on your desktop computer and download the game files again. But you can not be logged on to Steam from your laptop and your desktop at the same time.

About the save file.. What you are talking about is what they call a "Steam Cloud". that is a free service where Steam stores your saved games online so you can log on from wherever and play that save. FM however does not have that option (don't know why, really), so you would have to transfer that save game between your two computers via USB key or e-mail.

You should be able to log onto Steam on your desktop computer and download the game files again. But you can not be logged on to Steam from your laptop and your desktop at the same time.

About the save file.. What you are talking about is what they call a "Steam Cloud". that is a free service where Steam stores your saved games online so you can log on from wherever and play that save. FM however does not have that option (don't know why, really), so you would have to transfer that save game between your two computers via USB key or e-mail.

My guess is that there is not yet Steam Cloud capability because save files can get quite large. It would be awesome though, and I'm hoping that Valve eventually adds this to every game that Steam carries.

you can also just copy-paste the whole game from your steam folder in source pc, to the steam folder in destination pc.

path is something like this:

c:\program files\ steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011

it might be different considering where you installed steam.

keep in mind this is the game itself, not saved games. for saved games, you need to go into documents -> sports interactive

so are you saying I can actually tranfser the full game from c:\program files\ steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011 from one pc to another which would eliminate me from having to download it again?? and it would automatically come up on the other pc?? i would just need to sign in with my steam account or maybe not even that

You would still need steam even if you copy and paste, and I am not sure what other things FM will update in your registry and the like when you install, so I would recomment downloading and installing. You can quite easily run steam on two computers at once, so long as you disconnect from the internet when you start the game - it cannot stop you if it does not know.

As I have no idea if what I have said here is against the T+C of steam, feel free to remove or edit this post as appropriate, I don't want to break any rules =}.

so are you saying I can actually tranfser the full game from c:\program files\ steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011 from one pc to another which would eliminate me from having to download it again?? and it would automatically come up on the other pc?? i would just need to sign in with my steam account or maybe not even that

yes, that is exactly what i'm saying. you would ofcourse need to install steam in the second pc, and sign in on steam as well.

keep in mind that you'd have to copy your savedgames/tactics/etc from the documents folder as well.

Archived