FM11 - Tottenham Hotspur - Rise of the Triffics (take 3)

Jedi Spur

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Starting a new Spurs game to play alongside my Chelsea save.

After that blunder last night, Gomes will be back-up to a better keeper :p

I signed Akinfeev at the start of the 2nd season and my defensive record is considerably better, I found Gomes to be a good shot stopper but also a bit shaky (as in real life I suppose).

I would tell you Pav or Crouch. Defoe was fantastic for me.

I've been uncertain if to offload JD or Pav, so i guess i will offload Pav.

Are there others who should be shown the door? (Not Strikers off course).

So, I've finished my 3rd season. A mixed bag.

In the league I ended up relinquishing our title to Citeh by a point. We outscored and outdefended everyone massively but we conceded too many late equalisers in a mid season slump. The start of this slump was our demise in the CL group stages, coming 3rd behind Madrid and Palermo, and the Carling Cup against the scum.

We did however go on to win the other 2 trophies we were playing for. In the Europa League we brushed aside Napoli, Braga, Villareal and Lazio before meeting Liverpool in the final. We dominated them from start to finish and should have had 5. We only managed 1, with VDV even missing a penalty. That one goal was enough though and the Europa League is in our trophy cabinet for the last time I hope (I don't intend on dropping out the CL again).

In the FA cup we destroyed a selection of Championship and lower EPL clubs before facing the Scousers again in the final. This match was much more even than the Europa final, probably because they'd kicked Luka out of this game during the EL final. Nonetheless despite them having more and better chances and us only having 7 shots, 5 on target we scored the 5 we should have in the EL and they managed none :)

The standout performers were unsurprising really. Beppe Rossi has firmly settled into N17 and hit 40 goals in 48(3) appearances, addding a healthy 17 assists at 7.50. He claimed top scorer in the EPL, with 31, 6 ahead of Rooney. He was also in the Team of the Year for the EPL and got 2nd in Footballer of the Year.

Rafa Van Der Vaart continues to be just awesome. 25 goals and 25 assists in 52(4) appearances, averaging 7.53 were just so so good and I've given him a pay rise on his 2 year extension. With Modric injured for much of the season Rafa wore the armband for much of the season and was inspirationa, 6 of his goals came from DFK's and they were all spectacular.

Injury ensured that Bale had a stop start season, even so when he was fit he was unplayable almost, averaging 7.73 from 36(2) appearances with 23 goals and 13 assists. He got 3rd in World POTY and was the only Spur in the World Team of the Year. He also picked up the FOTY award (3 in a row for Spurs, 2 for VDV previously).

Those 3 were joined in the EPL team of the year by Gomes although he only made the bench, belying his real life form with another immaculate season.

The defence in front of Gomes were based on a foundation of Bassong and Musacchio although Kaboul was impressive when used and Caulker has improved well. Rightback was claimed for his own by Kyle Walker with Corluka proving an able deputy and useful sub with his versatility. Leftback was BAE's until he stropped and fell out with me. Jose Enrique came in and settled immediately. Tremoulinas did enough this season to justify his squad place.

Jack Rodwell(7.13 avg) had a good first season as my ball winner, but I expect more next season from him. Sandro is an excellent deputy, seeing a fair amount of action when Rodwell had a couple of 6/7 week injuries. Modric (33(3) apps; 1 gl; 6 asts; 6.99 avg) missed 4 months of the middle of the season and the last 2 weeks. Even when he did play he struggled for form and with Raphael Holzhauser(19(13);1;9;7.05) looking impressive in his place he has much to prove next year.

On the right wing Paul M'Poku had to step into Aaron's shoes as he missed the first 3 months of the season. Boy did the Belgian impress, with 32(16) appearances, he hit 7 goals and was my top assister with 19, he averaged 7.28. After a slow recovery from injury Lennon played a key role in our run in and cup successes, taking pressure off M'Poku.

Left wing should be Bale mainly but M'Poku & mainly Kranjcar spent a lot of time filling in there. Niko continues to be brilliant when he plays.

Up front filling in when Rossi was injured or resting Tardelli and Kane were both either great or awful.

Of the other youngsters, Bostock continues on an upward curve but VDV's brilliance is a bar to his 1st team role. Kovacic has been retrained at AMR and had some real cameo performances there and also at AMC or MC. A real talent on my hands here.

For next season I want the title back and want to do well in the CL, everything else is irrelevant. And I'm toying with 2 up front, but this is only because I REALLY want Cavani and couldn't drop Rossi. I doubt I'll do it, I have too much love for VDV and am determined to see Bostock succeed. I am most likely to not buy anyone, although I may look for a new back up striker to take over from Tardelli.

COYS!!

No screenies atm, having browser issues.

That's still a decent season in my book. Citeh are really tough on 11.3. Kovacic is looking very, very promising for me as well.

Citeh are excellent, they have Sanchez, Vidal and so so many more amazing names. But they are managed by Benitez, losing out to the fat Spanish waiter hurts.

gone back to my spurs save but have changed the tactic slightly to hopefully get a bit more defensive, saying that i am playing with a defensive mentality :D

also thinking about selling VDV

I'm also thinking about selling VDV at the end of the second season. He has been injured so much for me, only playing a few games before having another injury and this season he has been pretty poor when he has played. His physical stats are also diminishing, probably due to his constant injuries.

An update on my game; currently in Jan 2012.

This is how the league stands, as you can see it's very tight between ourselves and Arsenal with City a way back but with 2 games in hand:

http://i51.tinypic.com/3148bxj.jpg

This is my squad with my most used starting XI selected:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2cie5fp.png

These are my ins and outs (so far):

http://i52.tinypic.com/2vt4dwi.png

I'm really enjoying developing some of the young players in my squad, especially Caulker, Chamberlain, Leno (young German keeper I signed), Koke and Breivik (just signed, very promising 17 y/o DM/MC/AMC regen). I signed Radoi mainly as a tutor but he also has very good defensive abilities, Douglas Costa has been absolutely fantastic when used and Vagner Love is hitting his scoring stride again after quite a slow start.

We are through to the knockout stages of the Europa League (Chelsea robbed our 4th CL spot by winning the CL last year as previously mentioned) and the FA Cup 4th round where we will play Southampton. We failed to defend our Carling Cup after losing on pens away to United following an amazing 3-3 draw.

Well done Edgar, a solid season. Sometimes a team just runs away with it and there ain't no catching them! Musacchio looks quality, i might look into him.

I'm looking for a keeper aswell, because Gomes has made two high profile gaffes this season so far, almost costing us a CL place. I swear my saves share some sort of freaky parallel with the real world. I'm looking at Diego Lopez or Manuel Neuer, though his handling is suspect. Neverthless i'm only 4 games into and doing well, drawing against City, losing to my bogey team Stoke, but dispatching Wigan, West Brom and Wolves. The goalscoring position is a concern, and i have pretty bad injuries throughout the squad. Got some transfer target for next summer, being Sissoko(who i still have not managed despite buying him twice), Barrios, Lukaku and perhaps Dante from Gladbach. Rodwell is also interesting me, as is Sturridge who has scored a ridiculous 8 goals in 4 games for Bolton this term. Think he can be a star.

Well done Edgar, a solid season. Sometimes a team just runs away with it and there ain't no catching them! Musacchio looks quality, i might look into him.

I'm looking for a keeper aswell, because Gomes has made two high profile gaffes this season so far, almost costing us a CL place. I swear my saves share some sort of freaky parallel with the real world. I'm looking at Diego Lopez or Manuel Neuer, though his handling is suspect. Neverthless i'm only 4 games into and doing well, drawing against City, losing to my bogey team Stoke, but dispatching Wigan, West Brom and Wolves. The goalscoring position is a concern, and i have pretty bad injuries throughout the squad. Got some transfer target for next summer, being Sissoko(who i still have not managed despite buying him twice), Barrios, Lukaku and perhaps Dante from Gladbach. Rodwell is also interesting me, as is Sturridge who has scored a ridiculous 8 goals in 4 games for Bolton this term. Think he can be a star.

Mussachio really is great. Best used as a 'cover' defender.

I'd go for Neuer, handling is not amazing but he's an incredible 'sweeper/keeper' who can become integral in your defence.

Cavani is in for me. £30m had to be done. Tardelli has gone. Rossi & Cavani will rotate but with both able to play other positions I don't envisage a problem with playing time.

Honda has gone, only 6 months with me but not really top top class and I made a £6m profit.

Sadly Kyle Naughton didn't want to hang around but fortunately Sampdoria stumped up £7m for him.

Wilson Palacios has also gone (he only played 2 games last season) for £3m to Germany.

My only signing apart from Cavani has been a German 17 yo regen keeper who looks the business. He'll be my youth keeper for a year then we'll see how he gets on.

Aaarrrggghhh.

Vaclev Kadlec has just scored a hat-trick and set up three goals in an 8-0 demolition of Fulham and he only got a 9.9. What would the kid have had to do to get a 10? Replace Gomes and play as a rush goalie too? Madness.

I've been uncertain if to offload JD or Pav, so i guess i will offload Pav.

Are there others who should be shown the door? (Not Strikers off course).

Keep JD and Pav, they both know where the goal is. If you move Crouch on you can still sign a new striker or two and keep everyone happy if you play two up front.

finished 1st season on 11.3. won the league with no new signings. 8 pts clear of city.

sold a lot of the players back from loan and made a healthy bank balance for levy.

then just before the season started i was offered Pastore for 10.5m!

didnt think twice about it, but now im going to have to fit him in somewhere lol.

Keep JD and Pav, they both know where the goal is. If you move Crouch on you can still sign a new striker or two and keep everyone happy if you play two up front.

Thats the problem, i will play the 4-4-1-1 that Harry uses IRL with VDV As the TQ.

I play a 4411 or 4231 depending on opposition, and JD has done well enough (though hardly setting the world alight). I never could get either Crouch nor Pav to work as I wanted as a lone striker, but that might just be me. JD with Pav as backup would be good enough for the 1st season IMO, but obviously there is better out there. Edgar has had alot of success with Rossi afaik.

VdV as Treq in the AM slot really is a thing of beauty, isnt it?

Man City offered me 10M pounds for Ledley King, to accept or reject?

(Sorry for the double post)

I'd accept. He's not that good and he's too injury prone

He's still one of the best CB's in the game, and is not impossible to keep him fit-ish. Ori, depends if you have any sentiment in your heart for the King. I wouldn't sell, but then again if you need the money....

I'm definitely going to need a striker. Pav looks good, more threatening than Crouch but a striker is vital. Defoe injured again.

People usually get 13M for him or so. I could never sell, as I am a Spurs supporter in real life, but apart from that, Shoo is right. He is frustratingly injury-prone, and you'll sub him off because of little niggles every 2-3 games. When he is fit, he is very, very good, though.

If I didn't support spurs I'd sell king and use the money to get that kid Phil Jones from Bburn. Citeh have him on my game and he looks amazing.

EDIT: He is a 4-star tactics coach on my game now, by the way, so I managed to keep him at Spurs his entire career in the end.

Update

I am in September now and this is how i am getting on in my Tottenham save.

Transfers

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/lee20794/?action=view&current=Tottenhamtransfers2.jpg

I am happy with my transfers, as you can see i am bringing in loads of young talented players in. The only thing i want is a world class striker. I am going to sell Pav in the next transfer window, if i get a good offer for him. And i will be looking to sell King and Gallas at the end of the season, and to bring in Phil Jones because he looks very good. I have failed to get a work permit for Sime Vrsaljka, so i will try again at the end of the season. and like i said before i am getting Mateo Kovacic when he is 18. He looks like he is going to be world class.

Friendlies

Burton 0

Tottenham 5 (Defoe 5, 10, King 14, Pavlyuchenko 59, Lukaku 74)

Partizan 0

Tottenham 5 (Crouch 15, Lukaku 38, 85, Defoe 45, Kranjcar 69)

Charlton 0

Tottenham 5 (Bale 5, Dawson 35, Defoe 56, Kaboul 76, Lennon 81)

I am very pleased with the friendlies not only did we not concede a goal, we scored 15 in three matches.

Time the Premiership and the Champions League!

Premier League;

Tottenham 2 (Modric 25, Defoe 53)

Fulham 1 (Dempsey 82)

Champions League best placed playoff leg 1;

Tottenham 3 (Modric 14, Dawson 20, Bale 64)

Auxerre 2 (Birsa 25, Anthony Le Tallec 74)

Premier League;

Man City 1 (Yaya Toure 92)

Tottenham 3 (Lennon 22, Bale 29, Lukaku 43)

Champions League best placed playoff leg 2;

Auxerre 1(3) (Birsa 27)

Tottenham 1(4) (Ndinga og)

Premier League;

Tottenham 2 (King 35, Bale 47)

Bolton 0

My goal of the month

A very brilliant free kick by Bale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6iwPqXylA

Not even in the list for August goal of the month:mad:

Champions League group

I have been drawn with Barcelona, Lyon, and Twente.

Summary

I am happy so far, my attack look good with everyone chipping in with the goals. But i think my defence is going to need sorting out, if i want to win the Premiership and the Champions League. Bale has been my best player so far, Modric has been my 2nd best player. Vdv is annoying me, i just cant get the best out of him. he has been average. I was worried that i was going to get knocked out by Auxerre, but thankfully it did not happen and my attack was to good for them. And i am looking forward to playing in the Champions League it looks very hard, but it looks very fun too

:)

As the others have said, as a true Spurs fan I couldn't but with no emotions I would.

I play a 4411 or 4231 depending on opposition, and JD has done well enough (though hardly setting the world alight). I never could get either Crouch nor Pav to work as I wanted as a lone striker, but that might just be me. JD with Pav as backup would be good enough for the 1st season IMO, but obviously there is better out there. Edgar has had alot of success with Rossi afaik.

VdV as Treq in the AM slot really is a thing of beauty, isnt it?

Yes I have. Almost a goal a game since he joined upfront on his own as an adv fwd.

I'm definitely going to need a striker. Pav looks good, more threatening than Crouch but a striker is vital. Defoe injured again.

Rossi or Cavani.

People usually get 13M for him or so. I could never sell, as I am a Spurs supporter in real life, but apart from that, Shoo is right. He is frustratingly injury-prone, and you'll sub him off because of little niggles every 2-3 games. When he is fit, he is very, very good, though.

If I didn't support spurs I'd sell king and use the money to get that kid Phil Jones from Bburn. Citeh have him on my game and he looks amazing.

EDIT: He is a 4-star tactics coach on my game now, by the way, so I managed to keep him at Spurs his entire career in the end.

Good to hear.

<snip>

Good start there mate, tricky CL group but do able! Good luck.

COYS!

Not sure i can afford Rossi/Cavani at the end of season, if i want other players too(which i do). Depends how much cash Levvers gives me, and who i can sell. Cavani has only just moved to Napoli too.

Season is going alright, a lack of fluidity to the play, VdV is just not scoring, look suspect in defence, but going ok. That said, 100% record in Europe so far :)

End of Season 2 update

Transfers

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4586/tottenhamhotspurtransfe.png

Started off with some nice bargains but then once again went regen-crazy buying 7 of them. Inzaghi and Albelda were signed for tutoring only.

Domestic

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/5266/englishpremierdivisioniz.png

Some great home form(w18,d1) won me the title with Arsenal and City looking dangerous for a large part of the season. Highlights obviously my 3:0 win at the Emirates and a 4:2 in the return match.

Cups

League Cup: Won 3:2 against the mackems.

FA Cup: Lost in the 3rd round against WBA

Europe

Champions Cup Group stage: Finished 3rd(10pts) behind AC Milan(13pts) and Ajax(12pts). Luzern came last without a single point.

In the Euro Cup I played the following:

Anderlecht 3:0 (1:0h, 2:0a)

Leverkusen 6:3 (1:3a, 5:0h)

Liverpool 7:3 (4:2a, 3:1h)

City 7:3 (2:3a, 5:0h)

This set me up for a final against Sampdoria and Pav.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4602/tottenhamvsampdoriaspli.png

Stats

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/218/tottenhamhotspurtottenhf.png

Bale was easily my best player this season. Most surprising players were Marcelo who made LB his own towards the end of the season and Corluka who has kept Santon from being first choice RB.

Next Season

Amelia and Gameiro want out and I won't stop them. Inzaghi and Albelda have done their work and will leave on frees. I'm also looking to replace Gomes as he has just made too many mistakes. Possible target are Reina, Adler, Neuer and Lloris.

Thanks for reading.

Title won in emphatic style;

tlesecuredinemphaticsty.png

Good thing too, as my last three games are Chelsea (H), Arsenal (A), and Manchester United (H). Now to try and come back from a 3-1 defeat in the Nou Camp and qualify for the Champions League Final.

Cannot believe how I have missed out on CL football, unless I can beat Barca in the CL final http://img863.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110417at104.png/

Managed to get to the CL final in my first season. Group contained Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, CFR Cluj, then beat Valencia/Chelsea/Arsenal to face Barca in the final. Not expecting to win at all but should be great.

Won the FA Cup, beating Everton 1-0 in extra time.

@edgar555 No problems at all, he has now scored 41 in 47, absolute monster of a player!

My opening season with Tottenham has come to an end, and it has being a very successful one. Domestically we had a brilliant time of it, and even in the Champions League we had an excellent run. We have plenty to build on for next season, and I'm looking forward to it.

Hope you enjoy my end of season review.

Premier League

The title was won with three games to spare, and in the end finished on 90pts, 13 ahead of Manchester United. We scored 82 goals, and had a good defensive record, conceding just 24. Throughout the season we had some fantastic results, including victories away at both Manchester clubs, and at Liverpool. The clubs top goal scorer in the league was Peter Crouch, who netted 15 times.

Final Premier League Table

The end of season awards have been handed out, and we took a couple of them, one of them inparticular was very pleasing.

Football Writers Footballer Of The Year; Gareth Bale - Tottenham

PFA Player Of The Year; Wayne Rooney - Manchester United

PFA Young Player Of The Year; Cesc Fabregas - Arsenal

Barclays Premier League Golden Boot; Wayne Rooney - Manchester United (26 goals)

Barclays Manager Of The Year; Bruno Gama - Tottenham

Our excellent season also saw us have four players in the PFA Team Of The Year.

The FA Cup

Lifting the FA Cup was a great achievement, simply because of the tough fixtures we faced along the way. In our run, we had just one home game, and although we played Championship sides in the 3rd and 4th rounds, the rest of our ties were all tough games.

3rd Round - Ipswich (A) 3-0

4th Round - Burnley (A) 5-1

5th Round - Manchester City (H) 1-1

5th Round Replay - Manchester City (A) 3-1 - After Extra Time

Qtr Final - Chelsea (A) 2-0

Semi Final - Everton (N) 3-2 - After Extra Time

In the final we faced Fuham, and although they were 17th in the table at the time, it proved to be a very tough match. We struggled to a 1-0 win, thanks to an own goal after 70mins from Stephen Kelly, and had to rely heavily on good performances from the defenders. The match in general was pretty poor, and after our run to the final and the rest of the season in general, it was a bit of a letdown to perform so sluggishly against a weak opponent.

FA Cup Final v. Fulham

Carling Cup

Lifting the Carling Cup was also very pleasing, as again we had a very tough run of games up to final where we faced Liverpool.

3rd Round - West Ham (A) 3-1

4th Round - Manchester City (A) 3-0

Qtr Final - Blackburn (H) 3-1

Semi Final 1st Leg - Wolves (A) 2-1

Semi Final 2nd Leg - Wolves (H) 4-2 (6-3 on aggregate)

The final against Liverpool was a strange affair. They started the better of the two sides, and deservedly took the lead after 21mins. Just 4mins later though we had a great chance to get back into the game, but Luka Modric saw his penalty save. At halftime it was still 1-0, but in the 55th minute William Gallas headed in a corner. After that we really took control, and went 2-1 up through Aaron Lennon after 70mins, and just 3mins later it was 3-1 when Peter Crouch slotted home. After that we really pushed for another, and Gallas headed his second of the game in the 87th minute. Liverpool got another back from Suarez in the 91st, but that was the last of the scoring, and we won 4-2.

Carling Cup Final v. Liverpool

Champions League

The Champions League was a brilliant success for my side. After qualifying 6-2 on aggregate against Young Boys, we were given what was a very tough looking group. However, we came through it magnificently, finishing top and not losing any of our six games.

Real Madrid (H) 2-2

FC Twente (A) 3-0

Milan (H) 2-2

Milan (A) 1-0

Real Madrid (A) 3-1

FC Twente (H) 2-0

The first knockout round saw us drawn against Zenit St. Petersburg. We lost the first leg 1-0 in Russia, but in the return we battered them, running out 4-1 winners, (4-2 on aggregate), with Leandro grabbing two goals.

In the quarter finals we got a favourable draw against Werder Bremen. In the first leg in Germany, we won 2-0, and repeated the scoreline in the home leg. Steven Pienaar stood out for us in both fixtures.

Barcelona were the side we faced in the semi-finals, again with the first leg away from home. I got it wrong tactically and went too defensive, and we were 2-0 down after just 15 minutes. I changed things around and we got more of a grip on the game. We pulled a goal back on the stroke of halftime through Leandro, and controlled the game in the second half. We couldn’t get an equaliser, and in the 91st minute David Villa completed his hat-trick from a corner.

In the second leg we had a bit of a mountain to climb, to I resorted to the formation and tactics that had served us so well throughout the rest of the season. Jermaine Jenas, in for the suspended Tom Huddlestone, had a great game as the deep lying playmaker, and it was his pass that set up Gareth Bale in the 34th minute to put us 1-0 up. We really bossed the game, and despite Barcelona playing the last 18mins with 10 men, we couldn't get a second goal that would have taken us through on away goals. So 3-2 aggregate defeat, but a very encouraging performance in the second leg.

Barcelona went on to win the competition, defeating Internazionale 1-0 in the final.

Top Scorers And Other Info

Six players reached double figures for the side this season, demonstrating perhaps how much I rotated the strikers. Only one player got more than 20 goals.

Peter Crouch - 34 starts, 1 sub app - 23 goals

Jermain Defoe - 13 starts, 2 sub apps - 17 goals

Gareth Bale - 43 starts, 1 sub app - 16 goals

Roman Pavlyuchenko - 12 starts, 15 sub apps - 15 goals

Leandro - 19 starts, 4 sub apps - 14 goals

Aaron Lennon - 51 starts, 2 sub apps - 10 goals

Defoe's goal return is excellent, and would have been even better had he not kept getting injured. Leandro also had a sound opening season, though most of his goals came in the cups and Champions League as he struggled to come to terms with the league. Peter Crouch was superb, especially earlier in the season, and Roman Pavlyuchenko was outstanding and a bit of a super sub.

Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon were outstanding from the wide areas. Luka Modric and Rafael van der Vaart both got 9 goals each, a decent enough return for Modric, and van der Vaart's tally was alright considering he only managed 22 appearances all season. Aaron Lennon was the side top assister with 23, while Luka Modric layed on 21 goals for his team-mates.

Jermain Defoe had an average rating of 7.75 from his 15 appearances, but Gareth Bale was the man with the stand out average rating of 7.45 from his 44 appearances. Altogether the team scored 148 goals from 65 games, and conceded 48 times. We collected 85 yellow cards, and 5 reds. The average attendance at White Hart Lane was 35,575.

What Next

Loan signing Raphael Varane will join the club permanently when his loan finishes. Besides that three other signings have been made for the following season. One of whom is Romelu Lukaku who I mentioned previously, but the other two I'll tell you about later! Besides that, not much business will be taking place, as I make use of the good players that have been out on loan.

William Gallas is leaving the club. He had signed a new contract but then fell out with me and handed in a transfer request. A couple of players who were out on loan will be leaving aswell, including David Bentley, Jamie O'Hara, and more than likely Andros Townsend. I'm unsure about what whether to keep Giovani dos Santos or not.

For now, that is all that I have planned, though who knows what else could happen.

------------------------------------------

Comments and suggestions are welcome. And I'll be happy to upload any screenshots you wish to see.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to read this - I'm very sorry that it turned out to be so long!

Cannot believe how I have missed out on CL football, unless I can beat Barca in the CL final http://img863.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110417at104.png/

Managed to get to the CL final in my first season. Group contained Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, CFR Cluj, then beat Valencia/Chelsea/Arsenal to face Barca in the final. Not expecting to win at all but should be great.

Won the FA Cup, beating Everton 1-0 in extra time.

@edgar555 No problems at all, he has now scored 41 in 47, absolute monster of a player!

So City get CL football because they are ahead in the alphabetical order? Wow :eek:

Good luck Vs Barca. I played them in a final in my second season, great match, but we could not contain Villa and Messi :(

That's a great season, Tom. I rate Bentley, but it's hard to fit him in. GDS never performed consistently for me, but he is excellent on his day (which can be said for a lot of spurs players).

Spud: Don't you ever save your game? I'll hit the "save game" button every couple of games, just to make sure something like that doesn't happen to me. Looking forward to a report of your game, once you get going.

I also got my act together and got through pre-season, preparing for my 4th season in charge of Spurs:

Pre-season Review 2013/2014

The big thing for the next two seasons is the construction of Perryman Arena, the new 50k stadium that Levy is building for us. Due to that our finances, which were excellent before, are now cumbered by a few loans.

In order to help with the stadium as well as keep the game feeling fresh, I did a major overhaul and shipped out the older players who only had 1 year left on their contracts or didn't play a major role last season. A few favourites in there, but what can you do. Made a profit of almost £50M.

Players In - £6m

Paloschi - Free from Milan

Muniain - Free from Atl. Bilbao

Corchia - Free from Lyon

3 regens for a total of 6M.

Players Out - £53m

Palacios to Wolves: 12.5M

Corluka to Fiorentina: 10.25M

Kranjcar to Lazio: 10M (didn't really get enough games, too bad since he is a cracking player)

Naugton to Leverkusen: 8M

Defoe to Citeh: 6M (this one hurt, and the fans aren't happy)

M'Poku to Zaragoza: 3.2M + sell-on

O'Hara loan to Villa: 1M loan fee, 5M future fee

Varios loans for about 2.5M total

Squad

After the overhaul, my squad looks somewhat different:

GK Gomes / Stekelenburg

DR Walker / Corchia

DCR Dawson © / Caulker

DCL Bassong / Kaboul

DL Robinson / Fernandez (regen)

MCR Sandro / Riemann (regen) [bWM]

MCL Huddlestone / Horner (regen) [DLP]

AMR Lennon / Chamberlain [winger]

AML Bale / Kadlec [iFW]

AMC VdV (vc) / Modric [Treq]

STC Paloschi / Muniain [Poacher]

Expectations

Despite three EPL's back-to-back the board will still let me have UCL-qualification as the minimum goal. They do, however, expect semi's in the FA and quarters in the UCL.

Personally I am hoping we can make a serious attempt at the league. I'm less optimistic about the cups, but we'll see. With any luck giving my young talent more playing time will allow us to have a very competitive squad as well as healthy bank balance after a season or two of transition. My wage-bill is ridiculously low now - 880k/week!

After a work enforced absence from FM over the past few weeks, i finally got some time back to really get into a save,

Started again (yet again), but at least this was through choice,

I wanted to set myself some challenges for the long term save, so starting again was a clean slate and hopefully a clear head,

This time i am determined to develop the young players, and not just those we know off i.e. your Bostocks, Caulkers, Kanes etc, I want to find the best youth and set the club up to let them progress from Youth team to reserves and finally if they are good enough into the 1st team squad

I also want to try and keep 75% of the Club from the UK, The best of British mixed with a Small amount of Rest of the World influence

It will take about 2-3 seasons to get the balance as i want it, but that is going to be half the challenge

With this in mind all my Transfers were with the future in mind and focussing on UK Talent, except Baines, I just dont trust BAE

The season itself was fantastic, we set off like a train and won our first 15 fixtures in all competion's, unfortunately this form couldnt continue and we suffered the odd blip throughout,

But, despite some shocking defeats. Most notably a 1 - 4 reverse at home to Blackburn we were consistent enought to bring home the Premiership, and the League Cup from Domestic Competion.

The FA Cup was another off day as we were embarresed by Wolves in a 3rd round replay

League Table

englishpremierdivisionijv.png

League Cup

The European Adventure was a real rollercoaster,

But against all the odds, and after getting out a tough, tough group we managed to push on and eventually after being a goal down in the 1st minute fo the Final against Inter, Van der Vaart turned in a mesmeric display to get two goals and see us to the trophy

Fixtures

Highlights

[video=youtube;FI01zK2S4nI]

The whole squad were Fantastic - Squad Details

But a few need a Special Mention:

Luka Modric - 13 Goals, 18 Assists

Rafael Van der Vaart - 14 Goals, 7 Assists

Aaron Lennon - 19 Goals, 20 Assists

Gareth Bale - 21 Goals, 22 Assists

Peter Crouch - 21 Goals, 12 Assists

Jermain Defoe - 27 Goals, 12 Assists

Next Season, Consolidate and Challenege again

Continue to buy youth and work towards my goals by the end of season 3 of having 75% UK Players

@Rob

I have 3 tactics i use depending on the game

442 (Advanced Wingers)

2 x 433's (one with Crouch as TM, One with JD as Poacher)

In the 442, Van der Vaart plays as MC (Advanced Playmaker/Support)

In the 2 433's he is MC (Central Midfield/Support)

I have though about the idea of changing the 433's into 4231's so i can have him as Trequartista, but i like the security of Sandro or Palacios at DMC, especially away from home or in big games

Great season there, PV. I find that Thudd does well as a more "balanced" player in the second MC slot in a 4231 or 4411. Keeps it defensively solid, yet contributes to the attacking play (without constantly shooting like Palacios). Also it frees up VdV to play AMC, where he is absolutely lethal for me.

You will also have the problem with VdV's physicals after a few seasons. This isnt much of an issue in an AMC-slot, but might be in MC.

Apart from that your concept sounds alot like mine, except for the UK thing. I'd guess about 60% of my squad is UK (or English, rather), but it isn't something I am working specifically on (though I love having England Internationals).

I find that Spurs is a good squad to use this approach with, because the squad is good with alot of depth, so you don't really need any serious 1st teamers the first season(s) which allows you to develop your own.

Defo need a striker. For all Pav's qualities i feel there must be a deficiency in some hidden attribute. He fumbles way to many easy chances.

Paloschi is doing extremely well for me. He should be available cheap as Milan bought him for 2.5M a couple of seasons before I poached him on a free.

September Update

Premier League

Liverpool 1 (Suarez 6)

Tottenham 2 (VDV 4, Modric 11)

Champions League

Tottenham 3 (Lennon 9, 38, Lukaku 73)

Lyon 1 (Gourcuff 41)

Premier League

Tottenham 1 (Modric 7)

Arsenal 0

Sagna Sent off (61)

League Cup 3rd round

Tottenham 2 (Vaclav Kadlec 42, Chamberlain 84)

Oldham 0

Premier League

Blackpool 2 (Grandin 66, Charlie Adam 88)

Tottenham 3 (Lennon 47, Lukaku 53, 56)

No score at half time.

Champions League

FC Twente 0

Tottenham 3 (Lennon 2, Modric 12, Modric Pen 40)

League Table

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/lee20794/?action=view&current=Table.jpg

Man City 19th:D

Champions League Group Stage

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/lee20794/?action=view&current=ChampionLeagueTable.jpg

Summary

A very good month for Tottenham. I am very pleased with my great start in the Champions League and i am pleased at winning every game in the league so far. Hopefully we can keep the good form going:thup: I would say Modric and Lennon have been my best players this month, Setting up goals as well as scoring them. Lukaku has been scoring everytime he has started, i am going to start him in games a bit more. My defense has been a bit better, i am happy at keeping a clean sheet against Arsenal. And my best performance so far is against FC Twente, it's the best i have seen my attack play. Crouch links up well with my midfield in a 4-5-1 formation.

Try Lucas, Paloschi, Babacar, Neymar (My strikeforce in season 2...cept Neymar out for 9 months from International duty injuries)

My first season I only got in Lucas, for the future, while keeping the rest of the squad, but after Bale was out for 7 months after 1 month into the season and rest get hit by major injuries problem at around Nov 2011, and having major match congestion. NONE of the striker manage to score, we went from 1st place down to I think 6 (all the goalless draw...), got ****ed and got in Neymar in 2nd window. Play him with Lucas and they manage to save us and keep us up at 2nd place for the rest of the season chasing a chelsea that somehow manage to only lose 2 freaking point (from us) in 15 game (wtf?) surprised we only 4 point off the top at the end of the season.

2nd season I just sell / loaned away all the default striker and just use those 4, been working great so far, especially with Babacar to sub in when I need the extra strength up front.

What a great way to start the season :cool:

tottenhamvchelseainform.png

On the Transfer front i shipped out Pav, King and Jenas with the Russian being sent for Malaga for 7M and The latter two sent to Man City for 10M and 9.25M.

On the other way i bought Lukaku for 16M (I know i overpaid a bit).

I made Modric my Captain I hope he wont disappoint me!!!!

Whoa. I survived a corrupt save scare to go on and win the domestic double. That's my first FA Cup, too! 2017. Finally. Knocked out of the CL Quarters by Liverpool, unfortunately. The semi finals had three English teams, but it was Lyon who came out on top eventually. Good to see no other English teams winning trophies. :)

As for my offseason, I've decided to let Llorente and some regen strikers that never turned out go, and I've already picked up Bas Dost on a free. Not a fantastic player, but he scored the winner in the World Cup final for my Holland team in 2014. :thup: I've got a fantastic regen, Lukaku and a promising regen, so I think those four should have me set. I'm thinking another midfielder as well, but unfortunately I've found two, and I can't decide which one. They're both Argentinian, with the "potential to play at a similar level to Javier Pastore". One's more of a CM, the other an AM. Decisions...

On the other way i bought Lukaku for 16M (I know i overpaid a bit).

I made Modric my Captain I hope he wont disappoint me!!!!

Lukaku has turned into an absolute beast on my game for Chelski, becoming in effect the new Drogba. He is immense, and I would've paid 16M for him at the beginning of the game, had I known he would turn out that well. They paid 14M I believe.

About Modders on my current save he still isnt shining like I would like, but if you can find a slot for him in AML or AMC (difficult with Bale and VdV), I'm sure he'll be immense. If you figure out how to make him excel in MC, let me know!

I've been using Modric as in MC for years. I'm pretty sure I just set him to an "Advanced Playmaker", and changed his instructions to make him dribble and pass more, and shoot less. He's fantastic for keeping the team's possession up. Also, about Lukaku, I signed him for only 6.75m, but gladly would have paid more. He made 11 starts and 15 subs this past season, and scored 21 goals. 16 of those were in the PL.

Anyways, about that above post, I went with the more AM regen. 12M, but he can't join until January. 4.5 stars potential! :thup:

Archived