FM11 - Tottenham Hotspur - Rise of the Triffics (take 3)

Jedi Spur

Hey guys, have you ever had some really great youngsters from the academy? Mine are decent at best: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/235446-Neppo-s-Youth-Player-Project-FM11?p=6682664&viewfull=1#post6682664

Well, with FM 11 i have never got far enough to see, what with all the new patches and watnot. The first thing i do is get the board to improve the youth facilities, and get better youth coaches/feeder clubs etc. I try to get a youth facility upgrade every season, but even after 4 seasons(farthest i've got, with new save i will go for a 20 season run), the product has been very average, if that.

My aim with the new save is to have 80% of the 1st team from the youth academy within 10 seasons, and still be winning titles. This is harder to do at Spurs, than say, Man utd, for obvious reasons.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished my first season as Spurs and I'm pretty disappointed with how it ended up. Won the Carling Cup, got to the semi-finals of the CL before losing to Chelsea and got to the sixth round of the FA Cup. vagner Love finished comfortably top in the top scorer stakes and I had 3 or 4 players around the top of the assist chart. Looks fine on paper but we were really in a strong title challenge, leading for a while, until we lost VDV (who was out for most of the season and only played 16 games), Lennon, Bale & Dawson at similar times and fell off form dramatically at the end of the season to finish in a disappointing but respectable 4th place. Not bad, I thought, at least we are in the CL and have exceeded what Spurs will probably do in real life. But alas, bloody Chelski, who finished a lowly 6th in the league, went all the way to win the Champions League to take the 4th spot for next season which means I'll be playing Europa League football. Gutted :thdn:

I'll be looking to strengthen Right Back, Centre Half and possibly Goalkeeper after some frustrating performances from Gomes in the transfer window.

trying to play m'vila and sissoko in midfield in a 4-2-3-1 with modric in amc and babacar upfront. my idea was is that they are both quite defensive minded midfielders with good positioning and good passing. this would mean i could drop van der vaart and still have good attacking play while being alot harder to break down and having alot more power and bite in the midfield. the only problem is that im not to sure how to play them both.any ideas?

trying to play m'vila and sissoko in midfield in a 4-2-3-1 with modric in amc and babacar upfront. my idea was is that they are both quite defensive minded midfielders with good positioning and good passing. this would mean i could drop van der vaart and still have good attacking play while being alot harder to break down and having alot more power and bite in the midfield. the only problem is that im not to sure how to play them both.any ideas?

M'Vila is more of a ball winner/anchor man type, but is adept at DLP also if trained correctly. Sissoko is best as a box to box player, and he can drive into the box, assist or score. He hasn't the defensive attributes to be an anchor man imo. BUT, in this formation you have to make sure he has the space to run into. Otherwise he may run into Modric or an inside forward's channels

You should choose carefully which teams you play modric in that role against, purely because he will get muscled off the ball easily against physical teams. I have found that he plays best as an AML inside forward, DLP, or box to box player- aslong as he has the space, which VdV and Bale do not always allow him.

M'Vila is more of a ball winner/anchor man type, but is adept at DLP also if trained correctly. Sissoko is best as a box to box player, and he can drive into the box, assist or score. He hasn't the defensive attributes to be an anchor man imo. BUT, in this formation you have to make sure he has the space to run into. Otherwise he may run into Modric or an inside forward's channels

You should choose carefully which teams you play modric in that role against, purely because he will get muscled off the ball easily against physical teams. I have found that he plays best as an AML inside forward, DLP, or box to box player- aslong as he has the space, which VdV and Bale do not always allow him.

the problem i find is that when playing sissoko as box to box he ends up shooting from long range and usually wasting oppurtunities. wingers getting in the way should not be a problem as bale and lennon are both set to wing attack and to hug touchline

Tell Moussa to stop taking long shots. If he won't comply, restrict his creative freedom. That's how ya stop em doing that. Also, try work ball into box. Though, if you have VdV in the team, you really want himto take long shot whenever he wants to.

But Sissoko really is best in that role.

hey guys start of second season got ~30m to spend on a striker its all i need, currently got lukaku defoe pavlyuchenko and van nistelrooy ( for tutoring mainly, scored a few important goals last season though ) im looking for a player similar to defoe someone whos quick but skilful .. looked into neymar and he failed a medical so any suggestions ?

hey guys start of second season got ~30m to spend on a striker its all i need, currently got lukaku defoe pavlyuchenko and van nistelrooy ( for tutoring mainly, scored a few important goals last season though ) im looking for a player similar to defoe someone whos quick but skilful .. looked into neymar and he failed a medical so any suggestions ?

Pazzini, Balotelli will probably have fallen out with Citeh, Giuseppe Rossi, Llorente.

I play him as one of my midfield 2 in a 4-2-3-1 formation as cm(attack) everything on rare apart from ttb which is often.mentality is set to 1 notch above the central defenders so although he has an attck duty he holds his position very nicely with his partner also with the same roles and duties as m'villa.it is amazing the amount of space the 2 cm's have to play their through balls,and with m'villa just play around with his creative freedom and directess of his passing untill he starts hitting some very incisive defence splitting passes to the 4 attacking players ahead of him.

How's Jovetic working out for you? He's always gettable @ around £10m....worth it?? I had him in a previous Spurs save but could never get in the team.

He fits great in my tactic, I am playing him as AML (Inside forward, support) and taught him to try killer balls often and to cut inside. It's important to have good in attack wing back behind him (like Bale, Evra, Baines, Coentrao etc) because with Jovetic cutting inside, he will open space for the WB who will act as a winger so your team will have a lot of options in the attacking phase.

Talking about Jovetic, I must say that Bale is great on the right wing with the same instructions (Inside forward, support).

To answer your question - yes, he's worth it. Especially for 10m... (I paid 27).

i've only got 10million to spend and moyes won't let baines go.

I have also noticed on a lot of posts on here that most people tend to buy a striker and i keep getting offered strikers, is it the general opinion that defoe, crouch and pav can't cut it? I'm playin 4-4-2 with VDV upfornt as a deep lying forward and crouchy as advanced forward/target man. only in pre-season but it seems to be working.

Just started a save as spurs and all i really need is a young left back as cover for benny, any ideas??

Schennikov(CSKA), Schmelzer(Dortmund), Mbiwa(Montpellier), Ilie(Otelul), Theophile-Catherine(Rennais), Anita(ajax), Bong(Valenciennes) are all good. Not sure about prices though

Modders plays cm as a dlp, I love VDV in reality and he's been good for me in game but im rather sick of him taking more shots than the entire rest of my team lol. Mind i do love when he's on top form and the shots pay off, scored 4 at old trafford.

Thanks for the tip but sunderland have already got him, but he did look good though.

Tremoulinas(Bordeaux), Twaio(Marseilles) are others to consider as backup for Benoit. If you have money to spend on somone better than BAE then Criscito, but my absolute favourite LB is Jose Enrique. Toon are unlikely to sell for peanuts, but he is really really good on other saves, and i will look to bring him at Tottenham come end of season.

I have also noticed on a lot of posts on here that most people tend to buy a striker and i keep getting offered strikers, is it the general opinion that defoe, crouch and pav can't cut it? I'm playin 4-4-2 with VDV upfornt as a deep lying forward and crouchy as advanced forward/target man. only in pre-season but it seems to be working.

No, they can cut. They can definitely cut it, but i think myself along with some others have a natural aversion to these players as they are so pony(well not really but we think we should do better) in real life. Defoe as a poacher is pretty lethal, Pav will weigh in with his share of goals, even on only 10 starts p/season, while Crouch is pretty invaluable as a target man imo, unless you want to bring in Llorente who scores for fun in La Liga. I've also played VdV as a DLF before, considered him as a poacher too, but he excels as an inside forward/attack/much creative freedom/low pressing(unless you are playing a great team with a top DLP who VdV should be marking)/long shots OFTEN(because the ones that go in are awesome/moves into channels/roams from position. Problem here is that you'll also want to give Bale freedom to do as he pleases for the most part, again in my opinion-Therefore the discipline of the team may lack at times. Very open.

£8.25 million for a 30 year old kaka worth a punt or what chaps? I have such love for the lad from previous fms but im not sure what to do

Personally i would never, because there are so many great young options on the continent who won't ask for £150k p/wk. But that is just my preferred route- If you love the Kaka, then do it. Also, he will help shirt sales :cool:

I tried my hardest, but in the end King has decided he doesn't want to end his career with us. Absolutely gutted - I should've just sold him off when I stopped playing him 2 seasons ago:

Thats why i always tick the 'Will retire when he leaves the club' box :D

I generally don't extend his deal past 2012 either.

im conceeding FAR too many goals, any tips ? usually have BAE dawson king and hutton/corluka , and fit in kaboul and bassong if required, also got mexes whos currently injured. 11 games into the second season and ive conceded 13 goals in the league alone, will i need to buy in january ?

The January transfer window in my opening season has come and gone, so here is a midseason update.

Premier League

We have being going along suprbly in the league, and are currently top, 8pts ahead of Chelsea. So far we have lost just two of our 25 games, away to Chelsea (2-0), and away at Aston Villa (3-2). Although we are doing superbly and may well win the title, qualifying for next seasons Champions League remains the main objective.

Premier League Table - February 2nd 2011]

Peter Crouch has really performed in the league, with 13 goals from 15 appearaces. Roman Pavlyuchenko has performed the role of "super sub" excellently, getting 6 of his 7 goals from the bench.

Cup Competitions

Some of our performaces in the Champions League were unreal, but still winning the group was a massive surprise. Our reward for topping a group with Milan and Real Madrid in it, is a last 16 tie against Zenit St. Petersberg.

We are also through to the Carling Cup final and face Liverpool, who we have beaten twice in the league already this season. And in the FA Cup we play Manchester City in the next round, after comfortably defeating Championship opposition in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Transfer Activity

Just one player in and one player out during the transfer window. Stefan de Vrij came in from Feyenoord for £3million, and Bongani Khumalo departed for £2.5million to Real Betis. A couple of deals have being arranged for the summer though, and will reveal them later.

------------------------------------------------

On with the last few months of the season then. Lets hope we can win a trophy or two!

An end of season review will follow in the next few days.

im conceeding FAR too many goals, any tips ? usually have BAE dawson king and hutton/corluka , and fit in kaboul and bassong if required, also got mexes whos currently injured. 11 games into the second season and ive conceded 13 goals in the league alone, will i need to buy in january ?

Hutton is the main problem. Not aided by Dawsons mistakes probably. Check his stats, I bet he's got a much higher mistake leading to goal %age than all others. Liability. Kaboul and Bassong are both better.

<snip>

Fine job so far tom. Keep it going. COYS.

Is anyone else far enough along where they've had to think about Modric replacements? There's only a few I've been able to identify, and Modric is currently 31. And, just finished up the Club World Championship. Beat Boca 2-1, with a youth starting back four and keeper. My American super striker-regen and Bale scored the goals.

Edit: And about defense. I found that Corluka was much better than Hutton, and the main weakness that other teams kept attacking was BAE. He lasted about half a season before I got Coentrao. That fixed things considerably, as did putting Bassong in the starting lineup. Dawson, King and Gallas are all pretty solid, but not exactly youthful. Kaboul turned out pretty good, but I had to sell him off in the end. Besides Bassong and Kaboul, looking elsewhere for CBs is probably best, as Caulker looks very hit or miss.

Edgar, got that link btw, good review mate. Summed up nicely :thup:

Thanks mate. Spread it to your Yid mates. Cheers.

Is anyone else far enough along where they've had to think about Modric replacements? There's only a few I've been able to identify, and Modric is currently 31. And, just finished up the Club World Championship. Beat Boca 2-1, with a youth starting back four and keeper. My American super striker-regen and Bale scored the goals.

Edit: And about defense. I found that Corluka was much better than Hutton, and the main weakness that other teams kept attacking was BAE. He lasted about half a season before I got Coentrao. That fixed things considerably, as did putting Bassong in the starting lineup. Dawson, King and Gallas are all pretty solid, but not exactly youthful. Kaboul turned out pretty good, but I had to sell him off in the end. Besides Bassong and Kaboul, looking elsewhere for CBs is probably best, as Caulker looks very hit or miss.

My Modric replacement is already with me. Holzhauser is a phenom, Luka's gonna have to work hard keeping him at bay.

Hutton is the main problem. Not aided by Dawsons mistakes probably. Check his stats, I bet he's got a much higher mistake leading to goal %age than all others. Liability. Kaboul and Bassong are both better.

Nobody seems to have mistakes leading to goals but they do have ALOT of mistakes between them, BAE has 41, hutton 28, king 18, dawson 17 !! gomes has goals conceded / team concded at 100% if thats to blame :/ ?

Nobody seems to have mistakes leading to goals but they do have ALOT of mistakes between them, BAE has 41, hutton 28, king 18, dawson 17 !! gomes has goals conceded / team concded at 100% if thats to blame :/ ?

No, just means no one else has played in goal or if they have they didn't concede. Don't worry about that. I still think Hutton and Dawson are the weakest 2 you have but it doesn't look like BAE is doing too hot either. Maybe a new left back and play Corluka more at RB with Kaboul or Bassong at CB.

Season Review 2012/2013

Without a doubt my best season on fm11. We went unbeaten in the league, and also won both the CL and the FA Cup. Alot of it had to do with us keeping it tight with a defensive 4411 in tough matches, which meant alot less thrashings for being too naive.

During the season I convinced my board to build a new stadium - which is awesome. Wonder how long it'll take, they are taking one season to plan it first.

Players In - £21m

Stekelenburg on a free, and alot of youngsters. A kid named Kovacic from Roma for 5M was more expensive than I'd like, but he looked like a mini-Modric, so I couldnt resist. Apart from that alot of youngsters, as usual.

Players Out - £33m

Dos Santos to Napoli - 9.25M

BAE to Lyon - 9M

Crouch to Everton - 3.3M

Bostock to Wigan - 2.5M + sell-on

Kane to United - 2.5M + sell-on

Livermore to Bolton - 2.2M + sell-on

Rose to Blackpool - 1.5M + sell-on

Townsend to Ipswich - 1.4M + sell-on

Obika to Reading - 825k + sell-on

I needed to trim down the squad, so alot of the guys who hadn't shown improvement went out, with big sell-ons, in case they come good. Kane went since he absolutely refused to be tutored by anyone. This ****ed me off. Dos Santos wanted to go, and Lyon came in for BAE out of the blue. I decided 9M was ok, since Robinson is already 1st choice at left back.

First/Second XI

GK: Gomes/Stekelenburg

DL: Robinson/Fernandez (regen)

DC: Dawson/Caulker

DC: Bassong/Kaboul

DR: Walker/Corluka

MC: Sandro/Palacios

MC: Thudd/Modric

AMR: Lennon/Chamberlain

AMC: VdV/Kranjcar

AML: Bale/Kadlec

SC: Defoe/Douglas (regen)

Everyone contributed well this year, with the young players (also some fringe ones like holzhauser) doing better than expected. In the last part of the season I figured out how to get Modric firing (MC swapping with AMC), so there were no real underperforming. Will still take a fresh look at the squad, as I need to make room for some of the other youngsters, as well as free transfers.

Premier League

I was abit behind in the league up until after 30 games, where I beat the Arse 2-0 at home. This proved to be enough to keep us in front for the rest of the season. Also quite surprised we managed to go unbeaten all season, although my pragmatic approach led to a bit too many draws (especially at home against big teams)

englishpremierdivisionif.png

Domestic Cups

I went out in the LC to Citeh (damn they are tough!), but got a lucky draw in the FA-cup, which allowed us to go far with a second-string team (Stekelenburg was in goal for the whole run, like Sørensen for Stoke in real life). The game against Chelski was a thriller. 2-2 after 90 minutes, and then my team just exploded and put three past cech. Amazing.

tottenhamhotspurtottenh.png

Champions League

Once again grouped with Barcelona, and managed to just finish top. The games against Inter were tight, but we deserved through. Against Madrid we got lucky. We deserved 1-0 at home after Casillas got MOM even with an O.G. but at Bernabeu they bombarded our goal, and were 2-0 up until 92 mins, when Defoe popped up after being invisible all game. I couldn't believe my eyes. The game against the Arse was tough but doable. I haven't lost to them 7 games straight now.

tottenhamhotspurtottenhq.png

Best Players

VdV - 37 appearances, 16 goals, 21 assists, 7.60 rating

Dawson - 50(1) appearances, 12 goals, 3 assist, 7.44 rating

Bale - 33 appearances, 9 goals, 9 assists, 7.35 rating

A more subdued season for my bigger players. No surprise to have a defender (the rock known as Michael Dawson) in the top 3, as defence was what this seasons success was built on (very unlike Spurs, I know).

Summary

A close to perfect season, that I don't think I will ever better. I might take a few seasons to build up some of my youth, now that the pressure is off on winning big trophies. Still have no intention of letting go of our vice-grip on the EPL, though.

I have some frees coming in, and was wondering if Defoe would be one of the players to go, as he is 30, and while not playing badly hasn't set the world alight either. However his all-important goal against Madrid will probably mean that he gets another season at least. I'll assess things when I get my transfers in, and my loans back.

Will revert with a 13/14 preview in the next few days.

COYS!

Christian Eriksen is someone i'd probably replace Luka with, if you want a like for like, midget playmaker. Or see how Kovacic has done so far. Or just buy Pjanic.

Hutton is rubbish defensively. I like his attacking prowess, but he is a major weakpoint. Also BAE. I recommend Jose Enrique.

Season Review 2012/2013

A kid named Kovacic from Roma for 5M

COYS!

Never have seen how he turns out, but i believe he could be quality. Can get him for 1m at the start of the game, so 5m not so bad.

for the first season or 2 you need to play more solid full backs if you want to keep more clean sheets. as your teams reputation increases and you need to attack more, thats when you need full backs like hutton to increase you attacking options against teams that sit back.

Christian Eriksen is someone i'd probably replace Luka with, if you want a like for like, midget playmaker. Or see how Kovacic has done so far. Or just buy Pjanic.

Heh. Pjanic just went to Barca. The problem is, I think he's 28 in my save, and the asking price was 28.5m. Not exactly what I would like to pay for a player that will only play for three or four years. The only other team that bid was R. Madrid. I was confident of my ability to steal him from them both, but he just wasn't it. I found a young Croatian player that is literally a clone of Modric. Not a regen either. Unfortunately I can't remember his name, so I'm not sure if it was this Kovacic. He's out, though, as At. Madrid just signed him to a huge extension.

Then again, there was that time I paid 30m for Llorente for three years. But he's on ridiculous wages. So let's ignore that. :p

Heh. Pjanic just went to Barca. The problem is, I think he's 28 in my save, and the asking price was 28.5m. Not exactly what I would like to pay for a player that will only play for three or four years. The only other team that bid was R. Madrid. I was confident of my ability to steal him from them both, but he just wasn't it. I found a young Croatian player that is literally a clone of Modric. Not a regen either. Unfortunately I can't remember his name, so I'm not sure if it was this Kovacic. He's out, though, as At. Madrid just signed him to a huge extension.

Then again, there was that time I paid 30m for Llorente for three years. But he's on ridiculous wages. So let's ignore that. :p

Most likely that Croat is Kovacic. He's really good. More of a VDV clone than Luka but could be trained.

The Croat is indeed Kovacic, but he's just signed a new contract. :(

And I used Llorente as a lone striker for one year, and he never disappointed. Got 30+ goals, and continuously contributes when I need him. Two years later he's third choice, and I'm letting him and his 160k p/w wages go on a free. Having Bale, Pastore and Coentrao that high is already killing finances well enough. Still, no regrets on signing him.

Will i have to pay Llorente that much if i buy him end of season 1? In that case may go for Barrios, looks very promising, good goal record. Or Kalinic again, but it's one or t'other. Kal being the cheaper option. Hate having to do this sell to buy nonsense, but if i don't i don't get any cash till near july.

I doubt it. He had just completed something around three seasons of destroying La Liga, plus I had been loose with wages before, so I'm sure his agent made some sneaky plans. I tried negotiating him down, and that was as low as he would go. At the end of season one, I doubt his reputation is as high, or your Tottenham's to mine, or Athletic's, etc.

I decided to start again. Just because, really. My formation is going to be even more suicidal and my signings even younger, I'm looking at picking up players I don't normally go for too. Well mostly anyway.

IN

Romelu Lukaku - Anderlecht - 7.5m (48 months)

Vaclev Kadlec - Sparta Prague - 1m

Alex Chamberlain - Southampton - 2.5m (48 months)

Alex Smithies - Huddersfield - 1m

Eden Hazard - Lille - 20m (48 months)

Bruno Martins Indi - Feyenoord - 2.5m

Alex - Real Madrid - 2m

Sergi Gomez - Barcelona - 5m (48 months)

Thibaut Courtouis - Genk - 1.7m

Thorgan Hazard - Lens - 3.5m (Worth every penny for the "Hazard - Hazard set to shine" headline)

Marco Verratti - Juve/Pescara - 1m ish

Leonel Galeano - Independiente - 5m (48 months)

Casemiro - Sao Paulo - 3.7m

Daniel Kofi Agyei - Fiorentina - 4m

Xherdan Shaqiri - Basel - 2.7m (Mainly to stop Man Utd from landing him)

Shane Duffy (2m) and Darnel Situ (2.5m) will join at the end of the season and I'm looking to get a deal for Phil Jones done. A man can never have too many defenders, after all :D Mateo Kovacic will join as soon as he is old enough.

OUT

Benoit Assou-Ekotto - Aston Villa - 7.5m

Peter Crouch - Newcastle - 375k loan, acceptable agreed fee

Alan Hutton - Newcatle - 7.5m

Michael Dawson - Newcastle - 10m (25m for three players I didn't plan to use is worth giving the barcodes 3/4 of a new back 4, the rest of their squad is rubbish anyway :D)

Carlo Cudicini - Loko Moscow - 1m

Jermaine Jenas - Zenit - 9.25m

Ben Alnwick - Released

Casemiro could well make a cracking ball playing defender for me and Sergi Gomez could be something special.

Wish me luck :)

edit: KABOUL HAS JUST PLAYED FOR FRANCE!!!

I have just started a game with Tottenham. I am looking forward to start playing in the League and the Champions League. It looks like it will be a very fun save:thup:

I have nearly done my transfers, here it is so far.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/lee20794/Tottenham.jpg

And i am trying to get Croatia fullback Sime Vrsaljka, and i am getting Mateo Kovacic when he is 18. He is also from Croatia.

I realize that i will have to many defenders and i will have to sell some. But i don't know who to sell yet:confused: So i will start selling players in the next transfer window. so i will have time to see who is in my plans and who isn't.

I will be posting updates.

Jermaine Jenas - Zenit - 9.25m

Casemiro could well make a cracking ball playing defender for me and Sergi Gomez could be something special.

Wow good deal for Jenas:D I am going to see if i can sell him for that much, and to use that money to bring in Casemiro. I had him on my Stoke save and he turned out brilliant.

EDIT: Yep! I have just sold Jenas to Man City for 9.25m.

Wish me luck :)

Casemiro is indeed a cracking ball playing defender. Though I mostly use him as an incredibly defensive minded central midfielder, I've used him at CB before. Also a really good RB. Good luck. :thup:

Archived