[FM11] The Glory Years

ToMexico!!

I got one of the leagues I wanted but not one of the clubs. However I feel this will be like a stop-gap like Carlisle was all those trophies...i mean that time ago but still I am back in management just 45 days after leaving Kaizer Chiefs. I am the new manager of....

perth_Glory-logo-2009.png

2021/22 - Perth Glory FC - Hyundai A-League

I take the club over sitting in 8th place in the A-League after 10 games. Previous manager Shane Steffenauto had amassed just 10 points so far this season as he struggled to find the players good enough for the team on a shoe-string budget. I have signed a one-year contract worth just 2.5k per week.

Founded in 1996, Perth Glory are marking their 25 year history this season. They are a professional club playing in the top flight of Australian football. They play their home games at the nib Stadium and possess average training facilities along with an average youth setup. They also have an average youth recruitment network. The club also known as The Glory have a fierce rivalry with Adelaide United.

Looking at the squad, the team is carp; with just a handful of players good enough. I will ultimately be hanging my hopes on Vladimir Adam an unhappy Slovakian striker with who has spent the past 5 seasons with the club. With just 35k to spend on new players but a very decent 32k weekly wage budget of which we are 13.5k under I can bring in a few players to put some life into the club.

Squad | Hyundai A-League | Finances

Season | Club                   | Division             | POS  | Cup           | Continental      | Other
2010   | Atletico La Sabana     | Colombian 2nd Div    | 5th  | 3rd in GroupA | n/a              | -
2011   | Atletico La Sabana     | Colombian 2nd Div    | 1st  | 3rd in GroupA | n/a              | Promoted
2012   | Atletico La Sabana     | Colombian 1st Div    | 2nd  | 3rd in GroupA | n/a              | Qualified for Copa Sudamericana
2013   | Atletico La Sabana     | Colombian 1st Div    | 1st  | n/a           | n/a              | Resigned 29 August
2013/14| Carlisle               | nPower League 2      | 16th | 3rd Round     | n/a              | Contract Expired
2014   | Jiangsu Sainty		| Chinese Super League | 6th  | n/a           | n/a              | -
2015   | Jiangsu Sainty         | Chinese Super League | 2nd  | Semi Final    | n/a              | Qualified for Champions League
2016   | Jiangsu Sainty         | Chinese Super League | 1st  | Winners       | Semi Finals      | Domestic Double + All Star Winners
2017   | Jiangsu Sainty         | Chinese Super League | 1st  | Winners       | Winners          | Domestic Double, ACL, Pan-Pacific and All-Star Winners
2017/18| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | 4th  | Winners       | n/a              | SAFA Cup Winners
2018/19| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | 1st  | 3rd Round     | 2nd Round        | Super Eights Winner
2019/20| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | 1st  | Winners       | In Play          | Quintuple
2020/21| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | 1st  | Winners       | Winners          | 4 Domestic and 2 Continental Trophies
2021/22| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | n/a  | n/a           | n/a              | Resigned 15th August
2021/22| Perth Glory            | Hyundai A-League     | -    | -             | -                | Took over after 10 games. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2021/22 - Perth Glory FC - Hyundai A-League

Transfers - 2 IN for Zero & 0 OUT

I signed just two players but was then denied the opportunity to register them outside of the transfer window unlike in South Africa. Didier Bamba a French LB joined and Italian striker Mirco Gentile who both sign as free transfers. No players are yet to leave under my management.

Hyundai A-League - 2nd

We climbed that A-League ladder with some really crap players on board, I used my favoured 442 tactic and got to work on settling the squad down. My first game was against the Jets and we lost 3-2, scoring twice after being three goals down. We then drew at home to Melbourne Heart to gain our first point. We won the next three including a 4-1 away win over Phoenix. A draw followed by a loss stuttered our progress a little but we got things back on track with a win over fierce rivals Adelaide United. A couple more losses either side of a win over Melbourne Heart again rocked the boat but again we got back on track with wins over the Jets, Fury and Phoenix. We then lost to league leaders Brisbane Roar followed by a 0-0 draw against Melbourne. Another rival win over Adelaide prompted back to back 7-1 wins over Sydney and Central Coast. So we reached 2nd place 20 games after taking over with the Glory in 8th place, this meaning we reached the Grand Final Play-Offs.

We were drawn against A-League winners Brisbane Roar. We amazed the home crowd with a 5-1 win, Italian striker Gentile scored twice to put us in a firm position for the second leg. Away in Brisbane we struggled, I tried using a more defensive mentality but the Roar scored twice early before I switched back, the game ending 2-0 and we went through to the final 5-3 on aggregate, where we would play Brisbane Roar, again! :confused: We played in our hometown of Perth for the final and a full house 43000 fans witnessed a shock as we stormed to the win, but not by the odd goal, just 6 instead with a 7-1 win. Mirco Gentile and Vladimir Adam both scoring hat-tricks and young RM Daniele Mele scoring the other. Grand Final

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer - Vladimir Adam, 13

Most Assists - Dimitri Petratos, 10

Most MOM - Vladimir Adam, 5

Ave. Rating - Mirco Gentile, 8.14

What signing Mirco Gentile was scoring 12 goals in 10 games along with 10 assists too. He is quick and has good finishing, good attributes to score goals in a league of this reputation/quality.

Finances - 250k

When I joined the club it was in a horrible position and would only get worse unless something was done. I received a message saying the chairman was looking to step down and so he did not long after and the new chairman refinanced the debt with a 4m loan which unfortunately repayments began straight away.

The Future...

Despite saying I would use this club as a stepping stone I have decided to sign a new contract until April 2023. The main factor being I did much better than expected and the quality of foreign players I could sign to improve the squad.

Season | Club                   | Division             | POS  | Cup           | Continental      | Other
2010   | Atletico La Sabana     | Colombian 2nd Div    | 5th  | 3rd in GroupA | n/a              | -
2011   | Atletico La Sabana     | Colombian 2nd Div    | 1st  | 3rd in GroupA | n/a              | Promoted
2012   | Atletico La Sabana     | Colombian 1st Div    | 2nd  | 3rd in GroupA | n/a              | Qualified for Copa Sudamericana
2013   | Atletico La Sabana     | Colombian 1st Div    | 1st  | n/a           | n/a              | Resigned 29 August
2013/14| Carlisle               | nPower League 2      | 16th | 3rd Round     | n/a              | Contract Expired
2014   | Jiangsu Sainty		| Chinese Super League | 6th  | n/a           | n/a              | -
2015   | Jiangsu Sainty         | Chinese Super League | 2nd  | Semi Final    | n/a              | Qualified for Champions League
2016   | Jiangsu Sainty         | Chinese Super League | 1st  | Winners       | Semi Finals      | Domestic Double + All Star Winners
2017   | Jiangsu Sainty         | Chinese Super League | 1st  | Winners       | Winners          | Domestic Double, ACL, Pan-Pacific and All-Star Winners
2017/18| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | 4th  | Winners       | n/a              | SAFA Cup Winners
2018/19| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | 1st  | 3rd Round     | 2nd Round        | Super Eights Winner
2019/20| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | 1st  | Winners       | In Play          | Quintuple
2020/21| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | 1st  | Winners       | Winners          | 4 Domestic and 2 Continental Trophies
2021/22| Kaizer Chiefs          | SAF Premier League   | n/a  | n/a           | n/a              | Resigned 15th August
2021/22| Perth Glory            | Hyundai A-League     | 2nd  | n/a           | n/a              | Grand Final Winners 

[i]Manager Stats[/i]

Clubs Managed 	5
Awards Won	26
Career Earnings 1.1m

Games Played  	583		Goals Scored	1249		Cup Wins	19
Games Won  	365		Goals Conceded	564		League Wins	6
Games Drawn 	125		Goal Difference 685		Promotions 	1
Games Lost  	93		Win Ratio	62% 	        Relegations   	0

[i]Players Stats[/i]

Players Brought 	76
Total Value 		8m
Playes Sold		30
Total Value 		2m
Highest Fee Spent	650k 
Highest Fee Received	950k 

Former Club Watch

Atletico La Sabana

After finishing 5th in the 2021 season they then went on top win promotion back to the first division though the play-offs. They endured tough times in in the second division, 13th followed by 4th, 14th then 13th then that 5th place.

Carlisle

A 14th place finish in league2 in the 16/17 season was followed by a play-off place (7th) just a year later. They missed out on the play-offs by just one goal the following season by finishing 8th. Agonisingly, play-offs were achieved in the 19/20 season with a 5th place but they failed to gain promotion. They went one better in the 20/21 season by finished 3rd and gaining automatic promotion. As it stands with 5 games to go Carlisle are 14th in League1.

Jiangsu

Since leaving the club have remained a dominant force in China, despite not winning the league every season. They finished 3rd, 2nd, 1st and 1st in the 4 completed seasons. In Asia they won the ACL in 2019 and last season in 2021. They have managed to retained the services of Joseph Ntsama who signed a new contract worth just under 11k per week. Another signing of mine Yacouba Doumbia has been a ray of light leading their line 67 goals in 4 seasons with the club.

Kaizer Chiefs

They have not completed the season I began yet but lie in 3rd place just a two points behind leading SuperSport United. They were knocked out of the African Champions League at the semi final stage by Raja Casablanca. Former coach Diego Placente who I signed took over as manager and has spent 1.4m improving the squad yet selling 7 first team players bringing in 6.25m.

Do AI managers have no clue?

Gah, can't make any more Kaiser Chiefs references.

Indeed, been trying to think of a new title and best I've come up with is The Glory Years

A fantastic job in South Africa! :thup: And an immediate impact in Perth - could another Asian Champions League crown be on the way? ;)

Thanks. Very immediate impact. Just a play-off place would have been good out going on to win the Grand Final was brilliant. No way is our team good enough to win the ACL this season, maybe next season though.

2022/23 - Perth Glory FC - Hyundai A-League

Transfers - 8 IN for 130k & 21 OUT for 275k

Major squad strengthening with eight players coming in for a combined 130k. First job was to find a new goalkeeper as my current number one had retired, Saudi international Jamal Al-Hawsawi was available and signed on a free. Whilst I was searching for the foreign/special players I had my new scout checking for Australian talent and then double checking, coming back with a few decent squad players. Shane Drakos was my first money signing for Perth coming from Central Coast for 10k. He was then joined by a player how had only just left the club, he had previously wanted near on 2k per week and I sent him packing, surprisingly he was ok to resign and on just £600 per week. Then in came a big signing, former Italian international full back Lorenzo De Silvestri was touted out by his agent and signed on the dotted line, although I am paying him 4k p/w. He rejected the likes of Atalanta too. I then signed another full back in Ben Dwyer from Gold Coast for 50k, he was followed by Newcastle Jets Ben Meredith was offered to me for 10k. I was still in the hunt for a new striker but wanted an Aussie. Despite being being 35, I signed Nikita Rukavytsya to play along side Mirco Gentile. Late on in the season I brought in Ross Butler from Queensland Fury for 60k to play either MR or ML.

I decided to sell Vladimir Adam as he was increasingly becoming unhappy with not being allowed to move to a bigger club. After offering him out for nearly double his value I only got offers back of his current value of 275k, so off he went. A few other squad players left like Aslund, Parhas and Brown, who I felt weren't good enough.

Hyundai A-League - 1st - Winners

My first regular season title with Perth Glory as we strolled to success winning 21 of the 30 games and drawing seven and losing just twice. We scored an incredible 75 goals, the most in the league and conceded just 25, although not the least, Melbourne Heart took that award. We didn't get it all our own way from the beginning of the season, we won the first two games before drawing the next two. Our two losses also came quite early in the season a 4-0 hammering by Melbourne Victory was followed two games later by a loss to bitter rivals Adelaide, that game finishing 2-1. Those were obviously low points of the season, a couple of games after those losses came the high point a 7-0 win over Wellington at home. Further big wins came over Adelaide into the second half of the season (5-1), a 6-0 win over Sydney when the league had been won and another win over Adelaide this time 5-2 in their own back yard.

We were drawn against Melbourne Heart in the Final Series Semi Final, the had finished 2nd in the league. We lost the first leg 1-0 away from home, back at home we managed to beat them on penalties after a 1-0 win. That ensured we got to the final. Melbourne went to play again and they won their play-off to also make it to the final. We were much more clinical in the final scoring twice without reply to win our second Grand Final. Fittingly Rukavytsya scoring the goal to seal the win. Grand Final

Asian Champions League - 2nd Round

We qualified for the group stages without having to go through the preliminary rounds. We were drawn along side Beijing, Jeonbuk and Giurare Yokohama. We lost our first match at home to Beijing 1-0 but then went on to win the remaining five games, conceding just 2 goals. Mirco Gentile found this competition fruitful for himself by notching 7 goals. After topping the group we were rewarded with a 2nd round tie against Korea's Suwon. Drawn at home we had a great chance to progress but failed to do so by losing 2-1 after extra time.

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer, Most Assists, Most MOM and Highest Average Rating - Nikita Rukavytsya

Despite the 35 years of age Nikita tore up the record books by scoring a fantastic 28 goals in 35(3) games. He also assisted in 12 goals for his other team mates and produced 9 man of the match performances. On contract for another season with the Glory hopefully he can reproduce next year for the fans.

Other Notable Players - Mirco Gentile

Scored another decent amount of goals and assisted well for team mates, shame to have lost him at the end of the season to Marseille.

Finances - -750k

We began the season with around 1m in the bank thanks to the sponsorship revenue. That gave me a healthy transfer budget to improve the squad. Poor income from gate receipts and the out goings of paying the loan off meant we lost money each month.

The Future...

Despite signing a new contract until the end of 2024, I have decided I will resign due to the fact I failed to progress in the ACL. This will give me chance to find a new club over the course of the summer months. Preferably a move to the MLS would be first choice but a move to Europe could be on the cards.

2021/22| Perth Glory            | Hyundai A-League     | 2nd  | n/a           | n/a              | Grand Final Winners
2022/23| Perth Glory            | Hyundai A-League     | 1st  | n/a           | 2nd Round        | Grand Final Winners 

Back to the beginning...nearly the America I wanted.

200px-America_de_cali_crest.svg.png

2023 - America de Cali - Colombian First Division

Despite saying America or Europe would hopefully be my next move I was unable to get a job I wanted, one either in the top division in either Holland, Belgium or Serbia as no one was sacked or in the MLS as it was mid-season and again no one was sacked. I did declare interest in the Seattle job but their board gave their manager Robert Pires the vote of confidence. A couple of jobs did come up that I did take a look at like Sheffield United who were in the Premiership and Santa Fe also garnered some interest from me but when I was offered the America de Cali job I decided to take that.

They approached me with a 2 year contract worth £3600 per week. The thing that got my head turned at take the chance back in Colombia was the 10m transfer budget they have given me and the 73k weekly wage budget.

Founded in 1927, CD America de Cali are a professional club playing in the Colombian First Division. They play their home games in the 45195 seater Olimpico Pascual Guerrero stadium and have good training facilities. Along with a good youth setup they also have a youth academy and an average youth recruitment network. They have only won one league since this save started and that was back in 2015 with a second phase win.

26222_362354218651_350592093651_3768848_7647070_n.jpg

I take over at the club with them currently sitting bottom of the second phase having finished 9th in the first phase. I have 13 games to achieve a respectable league position. They are already out of the Colombia national Cup having gone out of the Group Stage. Looking at the squad it is pretty average with just a couple of top players to begin to build a squad around. They club has 13m in the bank, so I will try and spend around 8m of the 10m given to me to rebuild with.

2022/23| Perth Glory            | Hyundai A-League     | 1st  | n/a           | 2nd Round        | Grand Final Winners
2023   | America de Cali        | Colombian 1st Div    | n/a  | n/a           | n/a              |

Nice job in Oz. Good luck on your return to Columbia. Has much changed over the 12 years since you left?

Not really, not one team has really dominated since I left which makes it slightly more easier for me in the long run I hope to win my first Colombian title in a season or twos time.

Yes. There are even more drugs.

I would expect so, thats why so many clubs are big spenders in this league. All fueled by drug money.

I have got to say you are quite peripatetic. At least you aren't peri-pathetic. :D

Good luck on the new job!

I had to look that word up. Yes plenty of travelling so far and much more to do in the decades to come.

Interesting to see you come full circle and return to Colombia. That club badge might get a bit unbalanced if you add too many more championships (and thus stars) though! :thup:

If things had gone a bit more to plan I wouldn't have come back to Colombia maybe until I had managed in every nation I had loaded up. The thought of letting an AI manager spend 10m on crap players got to me a little.

2023 - America de Cali - Colombian First Division

Transfers - 3 Players IN for 580k & 2 Players OUT for 10k

I arrived just one day before the deadline day so I got to work identifying what my possible first choice eleven needed and brought in the players. I only had time for 3 players to arrive, first of those was James Arboleda from Real Cartegena for 10k, he would provide good cover for CM. We only had one goalscorer and I had to bring another option, Giovanny Cuero joined from Academia for an over inflated 250k, but I had the money spare. The third and final player to join was Daniel Gonzalez from Bucaramanga for 325k. The 23 year old slotted in at defensive MC and chalked up 22 games.

6th in Colombian First Division Overall First Phase | Second Phase

America de Cali finished 9th in the first phase which was a respectable position having finished 12th and 14th last season in the first and second phases respectively. When I joined the club they sat in 18th (last) place after 4 games in the second phase of the Colombian First Division, I had a lot of work to do to establish a stable first eleven and get them playing my preferred way. I adopted the 442 I had played with every team of every season so far and slowly it got working. We drew the first two matches, both 0-0, we didn't even have a shot on target in either match, I chopped and changed my front two for both games, I decided to stick with them in my third match and we crushed Once Caldas 5-1 at home, we went on to win the next three games too, scoring 7 goals and conceding none. We then were convincingly beaten by Atletico Nacional, 3-0. The lads picked themselves up and claimed 10 points from the next 4 games. A 4-2 loss to Junior could have rattled them but they bounced back with a win over Itagui Ditaires but they came back down with a thud losing 2-1 to Le Equidad.

However by then we had reached a play-off place and qualified for Group A, drawn alongside Deportivo Cali, Junior and Millonarios. We won our first 4 games, once against Deportivo Cali and Millonarios, with a double over Junior. We drew the last 2 games but still managed to top the group. This meaning we qualified for the second phase final where we faced group B winners Atletico Nacional. We stunned the home crowd as we won 4-3 in the first leg away from home. However, we threw it all away losing 2-0 at home, with Nacional being much improved. Not putting a downer on the achievement because we managed to finish 2nd in the second phase overall. Final v Atletico Nacional

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer - Luis Alturo Peralta, 19

Most Assists - Eduardo Cabrera, 13

Most MOM - Bryan Maya, 4

Ave. Rating - Alex Rivera, 7.24

Finances - +13m

Pretty much no change here as we recouped my transfer spend with a small amount of prize money along with gate receipts from the 2nd Phase Final home leg.

2023   | America de Cali        | Colombian 1st Div    | 6th  | n/a           | n/a              | - 

2024- America de Cali - Transfers

I've had my first chance to really change the Atletico de Cali squad for the better by getting rid of the deadwood and bringing some new younger players both home grown and foreign stars. I had a few too many foreign players that in my eyes were not good enough for the league, I shipped them out along with a few other players for just over 600k, freeing up a bit of wages too in the process.

In total 7 players came in but I did cancel the loan of one player who joined from parent club San Lorenzo. I spent a little bit of my previous budget of 10m on a couple of players before the budget were recalculated for the new season. The following players joined the ranks;

Carlos Mejia - a 25 year old GK signed from Chico FC for 675k. He will become first choice GK as I look to reduced the number of foreigners in the squad, whether they qualify for Colombia or not.

Jimmy Hurtado - Envigado originally wanted just under 2m for this player, but some negotiating got it down to 1.2m. This 22 year old will retrained to RB, shouldn't take long as he can play RWB quite well according to his positions map.

Bruno - I broke my long standing transfer record for this player and at 2m he looks a snip. I took a look in the Brazil U20 squad and there he was, scouted him and he came back saying sign at all costs. Quite amazingly he decided to join from Corinthians after playing just 6 games in 2 seasons.

Diego Lara - Signed from Once Caldas for 650k. I've brought this playing for his potential but he will contest for RB spot with Hurtado whilst he is retraining. Not the greatest physically but I will look to solve that problem.

Domingo Peralta - My second foreign signing, this time a Chilean striker for 850k from Colo Colo. This 19 year old has good stats in the right areas to develop into a top quality striker for this league.

Andres Tobon - We lacked left sided midfielders and without a lot of talent about I signed this guy on a free transfer from Cortulua. Will provide good back up.

So 5.5m spent so far with around 4m still left to spend on strengthening further.

Some nice looking signing there ToMexico, especially Bruno - he's a beast for 18! Looks like the sort of player you could easily take across to Europe when you get the chance, do you think that'll be your next stop? Great career so far, good luck with America!

Some nice looking signing there ToMexico, especially Bruno - he's a beast for 18! Looks like the sort of player you could easily take across to Europe when you get the chance, do you think that'll be your next stop? Great career so far, good luck with America!

Thanks. I'm not really sure what will happen. I've said countless times what I would like to happen but it never comes to fruition. Bruno does look a beast.

Just going back to my time in China with Jiangsu, the Cameroon international defender Ntsama has finally moved on to Europe and to Werder Bremen for just short of 11m. May have to (if i've got time to) do a little post recapping the history of some of the former players I've discovered and then have moved on to the top European sides etc.

Welcome back to Colombia, had a solid 1st season. Best of luck for the new season :thup:

How have Deportivo Pasto fared?

Thanks. Pasto are a second division team at the moment after being relegated 3 seasons ago. Finished 13th/15th and 14th last 3 seasons.

Wow! That's a bigger budget than I would expect for Columbia. Your chairman must be selling some excellent 'produce' at the moment!

A few of the bigger teams look like they have some big budgets, Envigado spent just over 3m on a striker and Nacioanl had previously spent 4m on a Brazilian winger.

After 392 days in charge of America de Cali I have been offered the chance at a club I have wanted to manage from the start...I leave Colombia with the club in this state;

2024 - America de Cali - Colombian First Division

First Phase Overall | Second Phase

Having won the first phase, finishing top of the league and winning the group, then beating Centauros 7-4 on aggregate. America de Cali sit 2nd behind Medillin in the second phase. The club sit first overall over both phases.

Squad/Stats

The squad largely improved does not have one outstanding performer as of yet. Chilean striker Peralta has 14 goals and 10 assists and his namesake Luis Arturo Peralta has 14 goals and 12 assists. Stand out performer is probably Eduardo Cabrera who is unwilling to sign a new contract, he has 10 goals and 15 assists from centre midfield.

Finances - 8.5m

Decrease due to transfer spending but still very healthy, the next manager still has lots to spend.

2023   | America de Cali        | Colombian 1st Div    | 6th  | n/a           | n/a              | - 
2024   | America de Cali        | Colombian 1st Div    | 1st  | 3rd in GroupE | n/a              | Left 1st Sep 

My next post will be the introduction to my new club.

Stateside...

PhiladelphiaUnion.png

2024 - Philadelphia Union - Major League Soccer

Finally I take over a club that I have wanted to manage since their induction to the MLS. Strangely enough Philadelphia sacked their manager despite them sitting in 2nd place of the Eastern Conference. They are 5 points behind Toronto FC with a game in hand. This means we have 9 games remaining to try and win the Eastern Conference, before the play-offs get under way.

The Union became the sixteenth team to be inducted into the MLS. They are a professional club that play their home games at the PPL Park, they possess average training facilities along with an adequate youth setup. They do have a youth academy but have fairly basic youth recruitment. They are yet to win a competition since joining the league but came closest last season by finishing runners up, being defeated by Seattle in the process.

I have signed a contract until December 2027 worth £2800 per week.

They have a pretty average squad with one stand out player Tim Woozley, at 29 he is the best player in the squad and is proving that with 14 goals in 20 games. I have just over 400k remaining to try and improve the squad, finances are not that great with just under 800k in the bank. My time in the USofA will allow me to get my head around the draft allocation and transfer system. In my time at the Union I would also like to bring in a decent percentage of American players.

2024   | America de Cali        | Colombian 1st Div    | 1st  | 3rd in GroupE | n/a              | Left 1st Sep
2024   | Philadelphia Union     | MLS Eastern Conf.    | -    | -             | -                | -

PhiladelphiaUnion.png

2024 - Philadelphia Union - Major League Soccer

Transfers - 5 Players IN for 96k & 1 Player OUT for Zero

I had just over a week until the transfer window slammed shut, armed with around 400k to spend on new players for a few key positions I needed to strengthen. I only managed to sign four players that were any use to me, my first signing was Jordan White, a 30 year old striker, he came in and left 2 days later as I could not afford to have him on my books with the wage cap we had, so he was waived. My first real signing was Neil Clarke from Ottowa for just under £500, not that great but he could play in a vast array of positions on both flanks and through the centre. Next in was another wide man, Blake O'Connor, a free transfer, again not great but provided much needed width. Third player in was Chris Lewis, again another wide man, this time purely for the left, he was signed on a free transfer from Thunder Bay. My fourth and final signing was Mark Marriner from Carolina for 95k, a little expensive maybe but could play in both full back positions.

Major League Soccer - 1st - Winners v Chivas USA

I took over at Philadelphia with just 9 games remaining in the MLS, we sat 2nd behind Toronto. With a prediction of 1st, I knew I had to achieve that as the board were ruthless to sack the previous regime. We started with a win and that pretty much continued through until the end of the season, second game of my tenure saw Woozley score all four in a 4-1 win over Salt Lake. That was followed by wins over Columbus and Seattle. Three draws in four games unsettled us slightly but Toronto couldn't keep up their form so we stayed in touch. A win on the last day saw us leap frog Toronto to top spot, pipping them by just 1 point. That meant we had qualified for the conference play-offs.

I had been drawn against Chicago, a tie to be played over two legs. The first game was away from home and we managed a 1-0 win, the solitary goal coming from on loan Marcos Garcia. Back at home Garcia dished out some more magic to score twice to ensure we went through, the tie ending 4-1 on aggregate. In the final we were paired up against Kansas City. In a game of equal chances at both ends we out scored the Wiazrds three to two. Garcia again with his shooting boots on, by scoring twice. In the overall final we were drawn against Western Conference winners Chivas USA. Played at the RFK Stadium, in DC we struck twice in extra time to win comfortably after the match was 1-1 after 90mins.

NACL - 3rd in GroupC

When I took over we had already won 5-0 in the first leg of the PreLim round, a goal keeper crisis saw us field a defender in goal but still draw 0-0 to ensure we advanced to the group stage. We were then draw against Club Franciscain, Marathon and Cruz Azul. Things did not fair well, we managed just six points beating Club Franciscain twice, 6-0 and 4-0 but losing both times to Marathon and Cruz Azul.

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer - Tim Woozley, 26

Most Assists - Savvas Louka, 16

Most MOM - Tim Woozley, 6

Ave Rating - Tim Woozley, 7.28

Finances - 300k

Loss of around 500k, will bump back up to around 800/900k by the time the sponsorship money is paid in. A decent transfer budget is doubtful, will be trawling the freebies market.

2024   | Philadelphia Union     | MLS Eastern Conf.    | 1st  | Semi Final    | NACL 3rd in G3   | MLS Champions

DSYoungEsq also forgot to add the likelihood of you seeing fans spitting and pouring beer on little girls in games, as well as the occasional crazy young one running onto the field being chased by one of Philly's finest and getting tasered in front of 50,000 fans. :D

Thanks SI that the game isn't too realistic with some group of fans. ;)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM cheesecake! :D

Actually, it means he gets to deal with the ever-demanding Philadelphia sports fanatic. They would be right at home in Costa Rica.

DSYoungEsq also forgot to add the likelihood of you seeing fans spitting and pouring beer on little girls in games, as well as the occasional crazy young one running onto the field being chased by one of Philly's finest and getting tasered in front of 50,000 fans. :D

Thanks SI that the game isn't too realistic with some group of fans. ;)

So far the fans have been fine, its the new Chairman that has been a little over demanding despite the situation I found myself in.

Thanks for the updates ToMexico.

No title for Man United for 10 years \o/ whaooo lol lets hope they stay gone

Get to Belgium ToMexico and stop Anderlecht lol that's insane

No problem. Premiership has no real dominant club at the moment, whereas Belgium, thats just ridiculess. A move to Europe is on the cards, probably a couple of seasons in Serbia first before a move to Belgium but you never know.

PhiladelphiaUnion.png

2025 - Philadelphia Union - Major League Soccer

Transfers - 8 Players IN for 275k & 6 Player OUT for Zero

My first signing was by using the draft system, something I've never had the pleasure of using, the player a Zimbabwean was the best of the rest and was later waived. Second in was a transfer that I wanted to go through last season when I had a GK crisis, he was waived too. My first proper signing was David Haggerty, back up for centre back. I was lacking strikers and there wasn't much floating around, so I signed a couple of Argentineans on loan from Independiente and Newell's respectively, just over 100k spent on the pair for the season. In between their arrivals was the arrival of Clive Reynolds from Tampa Bay, back up for attacking MC he cost just 14k. Over 5 months went by for our next signing, a real coup, I used one of my Designated Player spots for him. Mario Kovacic signed on a free transfer after leaving Liverpool, he was a £19m signing 5 seasons ago but only managed 29 appearances in that time, he rejected Porto, Benfica and Ajax. I then spent 110k on another lower league player, John Herrera signed from Tampa Bay as a long term replacement for Jordan Ferri.

Pan Pacific Championship Winners

A 5-2 win over Okayama FC in the semi final, four goals from Romay was followed by a 4-0 win in the final over Chunnam.

Major League Soccer - 1st - Winners v Los Angeles Galaxy

Second season in a row for the Phillies. Much easier this time round as we stomped to the conference win by 20 points over Kansas City. We broke a couple of records along the way, amount of wins in a row and unbeaten spell. We ended the season with the highest ever points total, beating DC United record.

In the play-off semi final we were drawn against Toronto FC, we drew with them at home and beat them 3-1 away from home. We beat Chicago 2-1 in the Eastern Conference final, goals from Savvas Louka and Blake O'Connor. We met the Western Conference winners Los Angeles in the MLS Final, we defeated them comfortably 2-0, Tim Woozley and Blake O'Connor again scoring the vital goals.

US Cup - Winners v Chicago

We were drawn against Minnesota in the third round, we beat them 2-0 in their back yard before narrowly beating Los Angeles 1-0 in the quarter final round. San Jose were easily dispatched of in the semi final, 3-0 which set up a final against Chicago. It went down to the wire and to penalties after the 90mins and extra time ended 0-0. We successfully scored 3 penalties to their one to win the competition for the first time.

NACL - On-Going [Qualified for the Quarter Final]

We were drawn against Costa Rica's Alajuelense, Panama's Tauro and Mexico's Toluca. We beat Alajuelense and Tauro comfortably to top the group after two games, we lost to Toluca at home. The same results; win, win, lose were repeated in the reverse fixtures so we ended the group stage in second place behind Toluca. The next round is yet to be drawn.

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer - Jose Maria Romay, 19

Most Assists - Jose Maria Romay, 19

Most MOM - Mario Kovacic, 7

Ave Rating - Mario Kovacic, 7.71

Finances - 1.5m

Improvements due to new kit sponsorship and prize money. Then the board decide to expand the stadium by 4400 seats at a cost of just over 5m. Finances restructured with a loan but I think they got their sums a little wrong as we are now repaying the loan at nearly 400k a month.

Stadium Expansion | Loan Repayments

2024   | Philadelphia Union     | MLS Eastern Conf.    | 1st  | Semi Final    | NACL 3rd in GC   | MLS Champions
2025   | Philadelphia Union     | MLS Eastern Conf.    | 1st  | Winners       | NACL 2nd in GB   | Domestic Double

Well done on another great season. What are you aims for the future with Philadelphia?

Thanks, I would ideally like to win the NACL before moving to Serbia maybe with a mid-tabled side and turn them into title winners. Will just have to wait and see.

Doing well in the states, hope you can achieve victory in the NACL :thup:

Thanks. Finished the NACL off this season, should have a report up pretty soon maybe tomorrow.

Just noticed that in my managerial history stats, winning the MLS has come under cup competition and not as a league win. Not that bothered but wonder if it is worth posting it in the Bugs Forum?

Certainly is interesting as I would have thought it would have been a league win but it's a strange one as the playoff are like a cup competition I suppose. I will go with it is worth posting in the bugs forum

Certainly is interesting as I would have thought it would have been a league win but it's a strange one as the playoff are like a cup competition I suppose. I will go with it is worth posting in the bugs forum

I braved the other end of the forum and looked in the bugs bit and found that someone had already posted the problem. Hopefully will be sorted when the patch comes out.

PhiladelphiaUnion.png

2026 - Philadelphia Union - Major League Soccer

Transfers - 9 Players IN for 90k & 6 Player OUT for Zero

First player in was Mark Holden, not the greatest striker but he was American and would be a starter. I then loaned in two players only to have to send one back because he had already played for two clubs this season. I then drafted in a ageing RB as cover in Pat Reese and Jordan White who I signed then waived a season or so ago. Another two players joined on loan, Anderson a Brazilian RB from Cruzeiro and Fernandez a Argentinean LB from Independiente, both costing just over 50k, combined. When the summer window opened and the European contract expired I signed two more players, Oyvind Solberg and a 34 year old Federico Macheda. The former joined as a designated player with wages just shy of 15k a week and the latter on just 1.6k per week. Both would become integral parts of the club.

Pan Pacific Championship Winners

Winners again, this time defeating Suwon 4-0 on the way to the final against Osaka FC. Who we beat 3-0, goals from Holden, Lewis and Haggerty.

Major League Soccer - 1st - Winners v Chivas USA

An easy league campaign as we strolled to our thrid successive MLS title. We only lost one game this season, I was trying for an unbeaten season but that failed in the last game of the season, we scored a few less goals this season it seemed, but then managed to concede less which helped. We also beat our own record for points total with three more points in a total of 71 from 30 games.

We beat DC United 3-1 on aggregate over two legs to reach the Eastern Conference Play-Off final where we defeated Toronto FC 3-0. Goals from Kovacic, Holden and Solberg. In the MLS Final we faced Chivas USA, the team we beat in my first final, we were no match again as we stormed to a 5-1 win, an own goal, followed by a Macheda goal, Sosa brace from the penalty spot and a Savvas Louka goal. They replied through our very own Kovacic, scoring an own goal.

US Cup - Winners v Colorado

An comfortable 3-1 win over non-league Reading(PDL) started the campaign off, that was followed by a 2-1 win over Chivas USA and a penalty shoot out win over Los Angeles after a 1-1 draw in the game. We then went on to beat Colorado in the final, 2-1, goals from John Herrera and a very very late winner from Matt Fowler in the fourth minute of injury time.

NACL Winners v Pumas

We triumphed despite coming up against some real North American heavy weights. We defeated the three remaining Mexican teams on the way to winning my first NACL title. Cruz Azul were first to go, in a very narrow 1-0 aggregate win. We drew 0-0 away in Mexico, before snatching a 1-0 home win with the goal from Chris Lewis from the penalty spot. We then faced fellow group rivals Toluca, we got the better of them at home to win 1-0, Matt Fowler with the goal. Away in Mexico, things got tough, we fell behind before Toluca had a player sent off, we snatched a goal through Mark Holden just before half time, we held out and even had a man sent off late on. To the final and we faced Pumas, a team with many good players, more than ourselves, I wasn't expecting much. We somehow won the first leg 3-2, with goals from Ruggeiro, Kovacic and an own goal. The only downside was they had two away goals. We defended like trojans in the second leg to steal a 0-0 draw, they had 12 efforts on goal to our 1, so you could see how one sided it was. They also had a man sent off which helped no end, i'm sure.

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer - Mark Holden, 20

Most Assists - Chris Lewis, 18

Most MOM - Mario Kovacic, 15

Ave Rating - Mario Kovacic, 7.71

Other Notable Players - Oyvind Solberg & Federico Macheda

Finances - -1.4m

Not looking good, the loan repayments are starting to really kill the club. I am making enough money through gate receipts to cover the cost of the wages, which are very high.

The future...

I would very much like to move on to pastures new now, having won the NACL but then failing to qualify from the groups stages this season. Either a move to Belgium or Serbia, the latter my preferred choice. I have applied for the vacant position at Partizan who are down in 10th place at the moment. We shall have to wait and see what happens.

2024   | Philadelphia Union     | MLS Eastern Conf.    | 1st  | Semi Final    | NACL 3rd in GC   | MLS Champions
2025   | Philadelphia Union     | MLS Eastern Conf.    | 1st  | Winners       | NACL 2nd in GB   | Domestic Double
2026   | Philadelphia Union     | MLS Eastern Conf.    | 1st  | Winners       | NACL Winners     | Treble + Pan Pacific Winners

the first foray into international management...

thumbnail.aspx?q=426162455932&id=ae154b008367e15d9005a47e9d25c7a4&url=http%3a%2f%2fnewsroom.blog.mytru.ca%2ffiles%2f2010%2f10%2fMorocco.gif

2027 - Morocco - Africa

After leaving Philadelphia, I holidayed and asked my PA to apply for all jobs, I was twice interrupted, firstly Colombian side Academia offered me a contract then so did Chinese club Chongqing. Rejected both as I wanted to move to another nation and they were both second division sides. After a 2 month global tour I was contacted about the possibility of moving into International Management, something I hadn't considered yet but was willing to give it a go. I applied for the position and 2 days later back came the Moroccan FA with a offer. I accepted the offer despite not being paid to do the job it will hopefully pay off in the future by getting me a move to Europe at some point during the year.

Morocco, a country situated in the North of the African continent is currently 24th in the world rankings. They have a had a mediocre past, finishing runners up in the African Cup of Nations in 2025 and a third placed finish in 2012. They have only appeared in one World Cup since the save was started and that was only in 2022. With qualifying for the world cup scheduled to begin in July 2027 I have 5 months to build a fresh squad and get them playing well. I will be looking to add to the solitary friendly we have lined up in that time.

With Morocco being such a large nation in its own right, we have a large pool of talent to choose from along with a number of decent clubs churning out players just waiting to become international stars. The likes of Raja Casablanca, FAR Rabat and Wydad Casablanca to name a few. There are already a high percentage of this current national team that ply their trade all across Europe. Below are the 3 best players;

Yassin Krouchi | Rachid Saidi | Hicham Hajji

The Moroccan FA expect me to uphold the country's honour in every match.

2026   | Philadelphia Union     | MLS Eastern Conf.    | 1st  | Winners       | NACL Winners     | Treble + Pan Pacific Winners
2027   | n/a                    | n/a                  | n/a  | n/a           | n/a              | n/a

Season | Nation                 | Continent       | Continental | World         | Other
2027   | Morocco		| Africa          | n/a         | n/a           | Appointed 14th Feb

thumbnail.aspx?q=426162455932&id=ae154b008367e15d9005a47e9d25c7a4&url=http%3a%2f%2fnewsroom.blog.mytru.ca%2ffiles%2f2010%2f10%2fMorocco.gif

2027 - Morocco - Africa

I played just three matches in charge of Morocco. All friendlies, against Tanzania, Senegal and Angola.

Morocco 7 - 1 Tanzania

Not the most difficult club to play for the first match but a morale booster at that. Star of the show was Real Madrid midfielder Yassin Krouchi who scored a hat-trick in the first half.

Morocco 2 - 1 Senegal

Ranked just below us in the world rankings, Senegal were a much sterner test. We took the lead through Reda Lakhal before Senegal struck back. El Omari scored 5minutes from time to win us our second friendly in a row.

Morocco 0 - 0 Angola

Surprisingly Angola were ranked 18th at the time we played them, looking at their team there were no stand out stars. We had much of the better play but failed to find the net.

2027   | n/a                    | n/a                  | n/a  | n/a           | n/a              | n/a

Season | Nation                 | Continent       | Continental | World         | Other
2027   | Morocco		| Africa          | n/a         | n/a           | Appointed 14th Feb + Resigned 27th July

upping sticks again...

thumbnail.aspx?q=526232526879&id=814cefffeced3123c0a94317bc75a0eb&url=http%3a%2f%2fupload.wikimedia.org%2fwikipedia%2fen%2fd%2fd3%2fLogo_psv_eindhoven.png

2027 - PSV Eindhoven - Dutch Eredivise

Just 6 months since taking the hot seat at Morocco I have resigned and taken up the vacant managerial position at PSV in the Dutch Eredivisie. I have been handed a 4 year contract worth 13.75k per week. I takeover following the departure of Arjen Robben, who takes over the Dutch national squad.

Founded in 1913, PSV are a professional club currently playing in the top tier of Dutch football. The club play their home games at Philips Stadion and possess state of the art training and youth facilities. The club also possess a youth academy with a well established youth recruitment network. The club have a fierce rivalry with Ajax. Since the save was started PSV have won the Eredivisie in 2014, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2023 and last season in 2027. The also won the Dutch Cup in 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2024.

The club have £48m in the bank and have been given a £30m to rejuvenating the squad. There are a distinct lack of Dutch nationals in the squad and I would like to try and bring in a few more Dutch players.

2027/28| PSV                    | Dutch Eredivisie     | n/a  | n/a           | n/a              | - 

Archived