How to defend set pieces?

Man, it seems impossible to defend set pieces on the latest version of FM. Did anyone else notice this?

Currently I am in my third season with Everton, and I kept note of how many goals I conceded from set pieces. The result? After 3/4 season, HALF of the goals I conceded were from corners and free kicks from the side of the pitch. It's ridiculous.

I know there is a bug in the game that sets back your set piece intructions to default now and then, but I change it before every match. At the moment I have players like Fellaini, Shawcross, Zapata, Cahill, De Silvestri, Rodwell, Dzeko, Jagielka and Garay. Players with a lot of height and aerial ability. Yet I concede from set pieces to much. I know, in real life they're hard to defend, and every team will concede from set pieces now and then, but not 10-15 goals every season (especially not with the players I have).

So what I would like to ask is, does anybody know what the best way is to defend set pieces? Thanks in advance!

If a lot of the set pieces are coming into the near post, try having someone closing down the corner. If this player has some pace they can be useful for the counter attack too. I have a man on the edge of the area too to stop long shots from half-cleared corners. Otherwise, something like the above is pretty good. Also try the pre-match prep if it's a huge problem.

By Mr Hough suggestion:

Mark Near

Mark Tall

Mark Tall

Mark Far Post

Man Mark

Go Back

Go Back

Go Back

Go Back

Stay Forward

;)

This works well. I find the issue with corners and set pieces, seems to the marking. If you have players "man mark" at set pieces, things go out the window quickly. I find having players on the "go back" instruction works better. With this, I find, several players will attack the ball, rather than just one, and most of the time win out against the oppositions player.

I always leave the players on the posts.

Even though I use Mr. Houghs corner defending I get loads of goals from corners it's almost 50% of the corners I can't defend just had a game where I got bombed 3 goals from standards 2 from corners and 1 from a free kick and my defenders are actually pretty good for the league I'm playing in.

It's really frustrating since I have to score almost 4-5 goals every game if I don't want to lose it.

I've had luck instructing my Target Man to 'Mark Near Post.'

In practice, this usually works as he comes off the line to head away anything coming in to the front post or 6-yard box area. Like everyone else, in FM11, we suffer the occasional Far Post or Set Piece goal against, but this technique coupled with "Defend Set Pieces" in Match Prep has unquestionably, tho not drastically, improved our conceding.

Archived