[FM11] The Berwick Beauties

AK22

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow... that was easier than my wife deciding where she wants to go for dinner. :)

My girlfriend never has a problem deciding where she wants to go for dinner. Actually choosing what she wants to eat when she is there is a completely different matter entirely.

awesome career you have going. just spent the last half hour reading about all your progress, it really caught my imagination!! how are Dundee United throwing their money about? amazing considering rangers and celtic are playing in 57thousand+ seated stadiums and you are challenging consistently.

awesome career you have going. just spent the last half hour reading about all your progress, it really caught my imagination!! how are Dundee United throwing their money about? amazing considering rangers and celtic are playing in 57thousand+ seated stadiums and you are challenging consistently.

Thanks for reading! :thup:

Dundee's financial backing got withdrawn by their chairman after just over a season so they never really made the title challenge that everyone expected. They are, however, now qualifying for Europe every season and have a decent squad having spent big when they could.

Financially, the only way we can compete with Rangers and Celtic is by doing well in Europe. Even with the TV revenue and prize money, we barely break even now.

My gate receipts for a home game is about £230k so that barely covers my wage bill of £210k p/w! That's why I'm desperate for the new stadium!

you may have to go through a tough period of buying and selling stars. Buy em in young and sell them at 21 or 22 for 5-6m a time and try to get your money sky high. If you can get £50m in the bank you may get a new super stadium.

That is the only real draw back in Scotland. The TV money and Prize money are no good.

Maybe in the next update or FM2012 SI could develop dynamic prize money etc so when you get Scotland to number one it is the must see league around the world and you start to get £20m a year in TV revenue to complement the new league stature.

Yeah prize money and TV revenue is pretty naff tbh.

My generous board give a squad bonus of £1.1m for winning the SPL so this is only just covered by the SPL prize money of £1.8m and the TV revenue of £850k over the season. It has increased slightly since I started but not a lot, I would have thought Sky would have been all over Berwick's rise to the top!!!

Season 13 - 2022/23 Berwick Rangers

Much of the same was expected this term. The

board wanted a title challenge and semi-final in the domestic cups, and to reach the group stages of the Champions League. The media predicted us to finish a close 2nd to Rangers, backed up by the title odds of 2-1. Season tickets sales increased slightly to 2557 (up 143). We're now the 3rd richest club in Scotland but still a long way behind the Old Firm.

Facilities - The board agreed to add another 600 odd seats to replace more of the old terracing.

Finances - Not a lot different from last season. We're not making a profit though. Prize money and TV revenue from the Champions League is helping us break-even.

Wage Budget - Much the same as last year. Wages now totalling about £200k p/w. We can't afford to increase this any more without turning into a selling club and/or serious investment.

Transfer Summary - Spent £2.5m on 6 players coming in. £4.4m received on the selling of 9 players.

Key Transfers

No real stand-outs, all youth or decent squad players.

Cleber (£1.4m) - A young Brazilian defender bought from AEK Athens. Hopefully will settle and be a decent back-up.

Stuart Armstrong (Free) - Left Berwick on a free last summer but returned this year after being released by Fulham.

Vegard Dahle (£550k) - Signed as a back-up all-round FC from Malmo FF.

Thomas Johannesen (£240k) - Young full back with great pace, should develop well. Signed from FH.

Champions League -

Group Stages (4th)

We did well in the Qualifying Rounds,

beating Shakhtar 3-0 on aggregate and then PSV on penalties. Having drawn Milan, Sporting Lisbon and Basel (we were seeded 3rd), I thought we had a decent outside chance of reaching the knockout stages (odds 40-1 to win). In the end, we only won a disappointing 4 points and finished bottom of the group. We gave Milan a good go at Shielfield Park but succumbed to a 2-3 defeat. Our main downfall was the fact we failed to score in 4 of the 6 matches, something to work on for next season.

SPL -

Champions

For the second time in history, Berwick Rangers were the Champions of Scotland! We were near enough top of the pack for the entire season; having opened-up a 13 point gap over Rangers at one stage, we won the league with 2 games to spare and an 11 point majority. We posted a

SPL record of 96 points and only lost 3 games over the season (2 of which were away to Rangers), the key was our amazing defence which only conceded 16 goals with 24 clean sheets. We also broke another record, winning 10 games in a row! Celtic continued their decline finishing a poor 8th and sacked their manager, Barry Bannan of Aston Villa fame.

Co-op Insurance Cup - Winner

We retained our trophy without conceding a goal,

beating St Mirren 2-0 in the final. We also set a record for the poorest discipline, I'm quite chuffed with that one! :thup:

Scottish Cup - Semi-Final

The highlight of this cup run was the

7-0 demolition of Aberdeen in the Quarter-Final. However, we came unstuck against Rangers in a match we dominated and should have won comfortably.

Key Players

Matteo Iovino - Missed a few games through suspension, but this beast was simply amazing in the back 4. Fans Player of the Year and I don't disagree! SPL TOTY.

Daniel Fransson - Iovino's partner in crime but better disciplined! SPL TOTY.

Nikos Argyriou - The goalkeeper who achieved 31 clean sheets in all competitions. Every present in the league. SPL TOTY.

Luke Shepherd - 27 goals in all competitions. Slightly inconsistent, but at 22, can only improve.

Domingo - Struggled for form in the first half of the season but picked up after Christmas to score a total 23 goals. SPL TOTY.

Tomas Rodriguez - Earning a fair old whack for someone at his level, his 18 goals were at important times.

Khalid Yilmaz - Another good season in midfield with 13 assists. SPL TOTY.

Alessandro Caputo - Kept making noises about wanting to leave. Doubling his wages seemed to make him want to stay. 10 assists this term. SPL TOTY.

Champions League: 4th in Group G

SPL: Champions (

30-5-3 +62 95)

Co-op Insurance Cup: Winners (2-0 vs St Mirren)

Scottish Cup: Semi-Final (1-2 vs Rangers)

Overall, I was extremely pleased with our performances this season. We dominated the league this term so I will be hoping to retain my trophy and make further progress in Europe next season. We've moved up to

39th in the rankings now and the SPL has moved up 1 place to become the 10th best league in Europe. (Now 3.5 stars!)

My new chairman has agreed to build a new stadium, which is great news for the long term future of the club, as we sold-out nearly every match with an average attendance of 8349. In the meantime, we will need to continue to do well in the continental competitions to ensure we keep the finances looking rosy and make do with Shielfield Park, which will be

all-seater next season:)

awesome news on the new stadium and winning the double. main aim defending the league or last 16 of champions league?

The priority has to be winning the league to ensure European qualification (money!) for the following season but I would be happy to make it to the knockout rounds of the Champions League or Europa League and take a bit of prize money if it came my way! :D

Doing well AK22! Keep it up.

Cheers! :thup:

would be great if celtic get relegated, seen it happen once of one of my saves, truly made me happy!

it'd be awesome if you could engineer a move down south like rangers and celtic have failed to do in real life. especially seeing as your really managing an english team!

Great season AK22 and although you were disappointed with your Champions League campaign, it was a tough group. It's good to see someone different winning things in Scotland :thup:
The English are champions of Scotland \o/

Tough Champions League group, though you should have beaten Basel to third place and the Europa League in my view.

I'm sure the Scottish Parliament would be pushing for the boundaries to be changed again. I concur about the Champions League, we should have done better, a small blip on our part I hope!

The Duopoly of Celtic and Rangers is well and truly over :D

Well done mate :)

I hope so, but you can never be too sure with this game!

Would be funny if Celtic got relegated...

Enthralling this, keep it up. :)

would be great if celtic get relegated, seen it happen once of one of my saves, truly made me happy!

it'd be awesome if you could engineer a move down south like rangers and celtic have failed to do in real life. especially seeing as your really managing an english team!

Well done on winning the SPL. Celtic finishing 8th gave me a chuckle.

Thanks, unfortunately, Celtic have now made a full recovery this season under Christian Dailly as their new manager.

Season 14 - 2023/24 Berwick Rangers

With the prospect of a new stadium to look forward to, the board upped the anti and decided they
and to get to the finals of both domestic cup competitions. They would be satisfied with the group stages of the Champions League; something that, ideally, I would like to better. The media predicted us to 2nd to Rangers, backed up by the
of 7-4.
increased slightly to 2797 (up 240).

- Even with the planning of the new stadium going on, the board still decided to add another 1616 seats to raise the capacity to 10381 (8854 seated). This was completed by the September and in time for the Champions League Group Stage. The increase in attendance would raise
. Youth facilities were also improved once again.

- Still reasonably comfortable, but no significant increase for a few years now. Having to sell to balance the books.

- Starting to max out the wage budget too. Also, some of my more experienced players are demaning new contract on wages I can't afford (£20k+), so over the next couple of seasons some of the 'old guard' may have to depart unless they lower their demands.

- Didn't feel the need to spend (want to keep it tight until new stadium arrives). 2 in 2 out for a £2.5m profit.

Key Transfers

Not really any this year.

Champions League
- Last 16

The
was slightly more favourable this term. Once again we were seeded 3rd and drew Man Utd (boo!), Fiorentina and Rapid Bucharest, our
for winning were 33-1. I was confident we would beat Rapid home and away and maybe pick up a point against the big boys to ensure 3rd place at least.

I was right about Rapid, we beat them
at theirs and
at Shielfield Park. The highlights of the Group Stages were our performances against Man Utd (boo!) though. We held them to a plucky
at our place before scoring twice in the last 5 minutes to
. I nearly fell off my chair! How lucky we were!

10 points was enough for us to
and come up against Barcelona in the
. They taught us a lesson at our place beating us 3-0 in the first leg. I naively thought we could play Barcelona at their own game and attacked from the off; they ripped us to shreds! The second leg was a completely different matter. Somehow we WON
on the night in the Nou Camp but still went out on aggregate. I DID fall off my chair this time. We had won at both Old Trafford and the Nou Camp in the same season. Unbelievable Jeff!!!

SPL
-

We weren't nearly as consistent as last year but still managed to win the league by 13 points and retained our trophy. We had it all sown up with 3 games to spare, even with some very dodgy results along the way, including a 2-2 draw at home to Raith in the opening game and a 4-1 hiding at Hibernian. 92 goals scored with a goal difference of +64 was still a good achievement though. Interestingly, it will be Dundee Utd joining us in the Champions League next season after securing their highest league finish since 1996 (28 years ago).

Co-op Insurance Cup
-

We retained our trophy for the third successive year in the most ridiculous final I've ever seen. We beat Rangers 3-1 on penalties but that does not tell half of it.

They went 1-0 up after 2 minutes, we then scored either side of half-time to take the lead with half an hour to play. They equalised on 78 minutes to take it to extra-time. In extra-time, we took the lead after 100 mins before they levelled 2 minutes later. We went 4-3 up with 9 minutes to go before Rangers got awarded a last minute penalty which they converted to make it
. Rangers then proceeded to miss 3 out of their four penalties in the shootout to hand us the trophy (we scored all 3 of ours). 9 bookings too, which left us with lots of suspensions and me mentally exhausted.

Football, Bloody Hell!
:thup:

Scottish Cup
-

Surprisingly, we were knocked by our bogey team this season in the Quarter-Final. Hibs beat us 1-0, we didn't even show up to be honest. I was not a happy bunny!

Key Players

The same key players as last season (due to the lack of transfer activity) so not too much detail.

- Still solid at the back. Good ave rating: 7.27.

- This guy loves to defend. 7.29 ave rating. First name on the team sheet. SPL TOTY.

- Didn't miss a league game. 20 clean sheets. SPL TOTY.

- 18 goals. Annoyed me a bit, could do better. SPL TOTY.

- An absolute legend!
in 46 appearances earned him
(25 goals in 34 games) and
. 18 assists were pretty handy too! SPL TOTY (obviously!)

- 19 goals this season. Somehow I feel that he thinks the SPL is a bit beneath him as he doesn't seem that bothered most of the time.

- 14 assists. Quality right foot.

Champions League: Last 16 (2-4 vs Barcelona)

SPL: Winners (
)

Co-op Insurance Cup: Winners (3-1 on pens vs Rangers)

Scottish Cup: Quarter-Final (0-1 vs Hibernian)

I couldn't have asked for much more this season. The wins against Man Utd (boo!) and Barcelona proved that we could cut with the bigs boys when we really applied ourselves. I will be looking for more of the same next season as we continue to make inrodes in Europe.

Domestically, I would think we would be a good bet to be in the title-hunt, whether we get much competition will depend on how well the AI teams are managed. I would hope that the other Scottish teams improve slightly because, even though we moved up to
now, the SPL has moved down 1 place to the 11th best league in Europe due to their poor performances.

Stadium wise, the small improvement to Shielfield Park really helped as our average attendance improved to 9723 (up 1374). I've signed a
and I've just received news on the new stadium...
:D

...and as promised, new stadium news!

AndyKingNews_Inbox-23.png

Named after some ex-nonce legend, Warren Hawke, we will move in next summer! :thup: Would have loved it to be have been called 'Domingo Stadium' though. :D In the meantime, the loan will cripple us no doubt!

Grats on another title.

Any chance of seeing the richest clubs in Scotland. Want to see how Dundee Utd measure up vs Celtic and Rangers. Also what are you worth now you have a new stadium on the way?

Here's the screenshot of the Scottish club finances at the start of the 2024/25 season.

ScotlandOverview_Finances-1.png

The 'Old Firm' still lead the way, Queens Park are always up there too because of the Hampden Park factor. Even though we're worth £22.5m, we now have a loan of £21.5m. Hopefully, when we move to the new stadium the value of the club will increase.

Paying homage to....

Jamie Montgomery

I would like to pay a small tribute to this player. Having signed as 19 year old on a free transfer from Chelsea, this left back went on to make 429 appearances for the club (316 in the league). At the age of 28, he has now moved to Newcastle on a free contract after failing to agree terms to extend his contract. Unfortunately, he wanted £25k a week and I was not inclined to break my wage structure on a fullback. His stats aren't amazing but he will be missed though, as he was first choice for 9 seasons. He leaves us with 8 winners medals (3 SPL, 3 Co-op Insurance Cup and 2 Scottish Cup) and fond memories.

JamieMontgomeryHistory_CareerStats.png

are any youth players coming through with promise?

and any friendly tournament planned to celebrate?

My youth recruitment is still officially cack! It is stated as 'average' in the club overview and the board don't seem to be that interested in improving it. I won't push my luck with them at the moment, though, well not until we've moved into the new stadium.;)

As for friendlies, I don't tend to play any friendly tournaments. I find they tire my players out too much before the season has started. I normally organise 6/7 matches against a range of opponents home and away to get my squad some match practice.

Montgomery had a heck of a career with you. Nice find. Must hurt knowing he probably has at least 3 or 4 years left where he could sustain that level of play. How's his replacement looking?

Yeah, I was disappointed he didn't stay as he probably would have beaten the club record for league appearances. I was already paying him £17k a week but just couldn't justify giving him a big payrise, especially as I have a couple of players on the 'Match Highest Earner' clause. It would have crippled me!

Replacement wise, I had to spend £1.8m on a Frenchie who's 28. His stats are slightly better but we'll have to see how he fits in. Couldn't really risk bringing a youngster straight into the first team, but will probably use the young back-up in domestic cup matches for experience.

Season 15 - 2024/25 Berwick Rangers

As the construction of Hawke Park was under way, this would be Berwick's 70th and final season at Shielfield Park. The board wanted us to commemorate the occasion by winning the league and both domestic cups. Group stages of the CL was the expectation again. The media predicted us to finish 1st and we were
with Rangers according to the title odds.
continued to rise to 2964 (up 167).

- The
once again to become 'good'. No further develop due to imminent new stadium.

- Loan repayments of £174k per month will hit us hard this season

- The same as last year. Time to keep things tight for a bit.

- In the summer, 7 players joined us for just under £7m. We had to balance the books a bit come January and sold my young right-back and young left winger for £5m each. Made a tidy profit, but ideally, I would have kept them if the chairman hadn't gone over my head on the deals.

Key Transfers

(£1.8m) - Signed from Genk to replace Jamie Montgomery at left back.

(£2.8m) - A young English forward who found himself out-of-favour at Chelsea. Should do well in the SPL.

(Free) - A product of the Real Madrid youth academy, should be a good back-up centre-back.

Champions League
-

Once again we were seeded 3rd for the
and we found ourselves up against Barcelona, Inter Milan and Lens. A real tough group, with which I had already convinced myself that 3rd would be a good achievement.

In the first match, we held Barcelona to a
at our place (a match we had chances to win). We followed this up with a 2-0 win in Lens and then an amazing
. This gave us 7 points from the first 3 games and put us level with Barcelona at the top of the group! We were well beaten in Milan and Barcelona, but a
against Lens on Matchday 6 was enough to secure us
and our passage to the knockout stages!
:thup:

We were drawn against defending champions Chelsea in the
. We completely outplayed them in the first leg at Shielfield Park where we should have won. However, they scored 2 goals in the last 5 mins to beat us 3-2. I suppose that is the mark of true champions. They then whipped us at 'the Bridge'
to knockout us out. Somehow, I feel if we had won the first leg we would have played better in the return leg and maybe gone through.

SPL
-

We opened the campaign with 10 successive victories, which put us in a commanding position early on. We stayed at the top for the whole of the season and ended up winning the title with a game to spare and a 10 point margin. An area of concern was the fact 2 of our 3 defeats were at home, including a 0-1 defeat to Aberdeen (who were relegated). Shielfield Park had been a bit of a fortress over the previous couple of seasons, so hopefully, I can replicate this in the new stadium. Celtic had another poor year, finishing 6th and sacking another manager just before Xmas.

Co-op Insurance Cup
-
Winners

We stuffed Falkirk
to secure our 4th consecutive Co-op Insurance Cup trophy! A highlight was the
by my reserves over Alloa in the 3rd Round, Luke Shepherd scored six!

Scottish Cup
-
Winners

We secured our domestic treble in the 116th minute of a
. The match was pretty even and could have gone either way, so luck certainly was in our favour.

Key Players

- 33 goals in 45 games, a big improvement on last seasons return. Starting to fulfil his potential.
. SPL TOTY.

- Started the season in blistering form but broke his leg in March. At 31 now, I have doubts he will recover to be the threat he was. Still managed to win
! SPL TOTY.

- Returned to form this season with 14 assists.

- Just the 13 assists this season!

- 20 goals in his first season. Impressive at times.

Champions League: Last 16 (2-7 vs Chelsea)

SPL: Winners (
)

Co-op Insurance Cup: Winners (4-0 vs Falkirk)

Scottish Cup: Winners (3-2 AET vs Celtic)

Quite a remarkable season from our prospective.
was a great way to see out our time in Shielfield Park, and we now move stadium with great optimism for the future. Making further progress in Europe will be the aim next year, however, some rebuilding will also be required in the summer as 3 first-teamers will be leaving on frees after refusing to sign new contracts at the club. I will be also interested to see how much our attendances (ave att 9918 this season) increase now the capacity has been doubled and whether we get the financial clout to compete with the big-boys in Europe (
)! Disappointingly, the
in the European competition rankings.

Cracking season AK.
Great season again mate

New stadium will begin the new era for European domination

Cheers, I hope so! :thup: In the first few games of the new season we have near enough sold out the stadium in every match. The extra revenue should come in very handy! :D

Need to have a bit of a whinge about an 'injustice'.

Due to fixture scheduling clashes at the San Siro, our away fixture to AC Milan in the Champions League gets brought forward a week. That's fine, until I realise that this clashes with the midweek international fixtures.

We have 10 players called up for international duties, whereas Milan have 21.

BerwickRangersBerwick_Players.png

ACMilanMilan_Players.png

Fair enough, Milan have a bigger problem than us but I still have to name 8 untried Under-18's in my 18 man match day squad. Miraculously for Milan, some 'magical' players appear in their matchday squad who's abilities surpass any player in my team, not a reserve or youth team player in sight!

Needless to say, we were well beaten 4-0 with all 4 goals coming from these players that have 'appeared' and then 'disappeared' after the match. I could have taken the defeat if we had both had to play our reserves/under 18's but it is a bitter pill to swallow due to the fact that they gained an advantage through this.

And why on earth are Champions League matches being scheduled on an International Date? This would never happen in real life! Can you imagine Ferguson if all his players got called up for international duty then he had to field a team in an away Champions League match on the same day?! And what would happened with the TV schedule too? Adrian Chiles would have to be in two places at once!

Archived