The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">FOOTBALL: FETAI: I CAN BARJ MY WAY INTO GERS TOP TEAM

RANGERS hitkid Bajram Fetai insists he can have the same impact as a new signing by breaking into the Ibrox first team this season.

Bosman bargains Brahim Hemdani and Ian Murray have been the only additions to Alex McLeish's title-winning squad so far this summer.

But Fetai (left) told Gers fans to look on him as a new recruit after he was called into the first-team squad for their pre-season training camp in Canada.

The 19-year-old Dane is in the final year of his contract and believes he's ready to push for a top-team place after spending six months on loan at Inverness Caledonian Thistle last season.

Fetai said: 'Being included in the squad for Canada is a huge boost.

'I'm in the gaffer's thoughts even at this early stage in the season.

'I have to show the manager my best form and make sure he gives me a new deal.

'I've been on the bench plenty of times for the first team and got on against Dunfermline when I scored only for it to be disallowed.

'I believe I can be a first-team player otherwise I wouldn't be at Ibrox. There haven't been too many signings. If the manager had brought in a left-sided player or striker then it would have been hard for me.

'I'm a technical player with pace who can offer something on the left.

'I'm good with the ball as well but it all depends if the gaffer wants to use me.

'I said when I signed it would maybe take 18 months to get in and around the first team.

'Any youngster would find it hard at a club like Rangers but I'll give it my best because every player wants to play at the highest level and hopefully we'll get into the Champions League.

'Even if I don't succeed I can still say it has been a great experience but I'm determined to prove my worth and play for Rangers.'

Fetai reckons his stint with Craig Brewster's Highland warriors last term helped toughen him up.

Now he's ready for the rough and tumble of the SPL next season.

He said: 'The pace of the Scottish game is fast and it's not the prettiest because it's physical.

'I'm much stronger now having played for Inverness. I was missing the physical side to my game but I've added that.

'Craig asked me at the end of last season when my contract was expiring but as much as I enjoyed it at Caley Thistle I told him I wanted to go back to Rangers.

'My goal has always been to make it at Ibrox. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might be a candidate to play on the left instead of Lovenkrands... I would try both him and Burke there in the pre-season games to see how they perform.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hibs reach impasse over Riordan

Hibernian have insisted their contract offer is still on the table for transfer-listed striker Derek Riordan.

The young starlet has expressed his "hurt" at being put on the list by the club after he rejected their terms.

Wolves and Sunderland are known to be two English clubs waiting to test Hibernian's resolve before the transfer window closes on 31 August - but Celtic and Rangers have also been linked to him.

Riordan, who was called into the Scotland squad at the end of last season, still has 14 months left to run on his contract but the club insist they still want to keep him.

"The club made an offer of a new contract to the player which was the best offer we could have made and that's still there," said a spokesperson.

The 22-year-old has been put on the list and weighed down with the burden of a £1m price tag.

Wolves are looking to raid Scotland again after the capture of Celtic skipper Jackie McNamara, while Premiership new-boys Sunderland are monitoring the situation closely after pulling out of their proposed move for Ricardo Fuller </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure about Riordan, could just be another Kenny Miller.

Guest sav112

The thing is we should be buying Riordan and the likes and bringing them on, getting them in to the first team, the Scotland set up and playing in Europe and then selling them on for profit.

It basic that any young player will only get better if surrounded by a good class of older pro and he’ll get that at Murray Park. If you spend money on mature established players you want it to rub off on our younger players.

That why I would have at least one outstanding European class professional for each of the Goal, Defense, Mid & forward positions.

The only thing is I rate Thomson and he’s usually on the bench so Riordan probably would not even feature. I’d like to see the subs raised to seven to accommodate players that need run outs.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jorg:

Ter, don't you think there will be a couple more signings before the season starts, one of them being a left-sided player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to think so and the sooner the better. I expect we may see a couple of loan deals and someone come in just before the transfer window if we haven't signed anyone by then.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I’d like to see the subs raised to seven to accommodate players that need run outs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you on about, there were seven sub places in the SPL last season (although two had to be under 21)

I think we are likely to see any "money based" signings if we make it to the CL group stages, although there are reports in France that we offered 1.5-2m for Tavlardis icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

He doesn't need a shop window he needs more first team experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only first team experience, but European experience. He's shown at West Brom he can hack it in the Premiership, so if he came here, he could show what he can do in Europe (insert "for 2 games" gag here.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is one or two MLS players joining up with the squad on trial while we are in Canada.

Not any info just a thought icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Freddy Adu to Rangers icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is one or two MLS players joining up with the squad on trial while we are in Canada.

Not any info just a thought icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Freddy Adu to Rangers icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carlos Ruiz icon_cool.gif

Guest sav112

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

What you on about, there were seven sub places in the SPL last season (although two had to be under 21) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry didn’t make that clear, seven Subs regardless I mean, we all know that under 21 thing is total pants. So your better 22-24 year old that could be on the fringe of the first team gets shafted because the manager puts an 18 year old and a 20 year old that have no chance getting on the bench.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

He doesn't need a shop window he needs more first team experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only first team experience, but European experience. He's shown at West Brom he can hack it in the Premiership, so if he came here, he could show what he can do in Europe (insert "for 2 games" gag here.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we lose that we get 4 games in UEFA cup guarenteed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colin14:

According to a dude on FF I've heard we're signing PSG defender Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan.

Fan Fan The Protestant Man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Religion and Rangers? Surely not. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jul 5 2005

Gers swoop for PSG ace as Murray promises more

By James Traynor

DAVID MURRAY last night insisted Rangers will make two big-name signings within the next 10 days The Ibrox chairman made the pledge after fans accused him of breaking his word that Rangers would have four new players before the start of the season.

And it has emerged one of the new faces could be PSG's Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan, pictured right.Martin Bain is understood to be planning talks with the 6ft 2in central defender, who has also been linked in the past with Bolton and West Ham.

The player, who will be 30 at the end of this month, started with Dunkirk, moved to Lens and then on to Monaco where he suffered a series of ankle and knee problems. However, once restored to fitness he switched to PSG where his form over the last couple of seasons has been described as outstanding.

Whether or not the wrangle over Sotirios Kyrgiakos can be resolved, Rangers are anxious to sign up another central defender and Pierre-Fanfan is available to move as a Bosman.

Also, the fact they are closing in on him proves Murray isn't happy to let manager Alex McLeish head into the new campaign with the same squad.

Rangers' £2million offer for another central defender, Efstathios Tavlaridis, remains on the table and there are moves to bring in a striker as well as a left-sided midfield player Clearly, Murray and chief executive Bain have been working hard on upgrading the squad but there was no disguising the chairman's anger yesterday as he reacted to fans' criticism.

He said: 'I made a promise to the supporters of this club and I intend keeping it.

'There will be a minimum of two new players within the next 10 days and they will be brought in no matter what happens with those players who have become surplus to requirements at Ibrox.'

The fans were furious when McLeish made it clear he couldn't clinch deals until a handful of players - believed to be Dragan Mladenovic, Peter Lovenkrands, Michael Ball, Maurice Ross, and Zurab Khizanishvili - were removed from the wage bill.

However, Murray felt he had to put everyone straight and said: 'Yes, there are three or four in the squad with doubts about their futures with Rangers.

'They know who they are but they must also understand that with limited resources we can't continue paying high wages to players who are not producing for us.

'But whether or not these players are removed from the wage bill, Rangers will sign at least two new ones within 10 days to a fortnight.

'We are well down the road with these players and I want the fans to know moves are being made and that these players will come in even if the players we want out don't go.

'We have been working round the clock on this and we've travelled thousands of miles trying to get the players we need - and I'm not talking about ordinary players either.

'Our targets are of a high quality and I'm sure they'll please our fans.

'We just need to be patient a little longer but I told the fans we would get new players - I think I said four - and we will.

'We've signed two already in Brahim Hemdani and Ian Murray and I intend keeping my promise to the Rangers fans by getting the others.

'I gave my word and I will keep it

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

New full-time Youth players In for this season:

50 Dany N'Guessan (from Auxerre)

59 Joe Sagar

60 William McLachlan

61 Scott Hadden

62 Ross Harvey

63 Steven Kinniburgh

64 Scott Gallacher

65 Andrew Shinnie

icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The agent of Manchester United forward Alan Smith has revealed the England international's interest in joining Scottish giants Rangers.

Smith's agent Alex Black said: "Smith has been brought in to Sir Alex Ferguson's office and told regardless of any enquiries he is going nowhere.

"Alan has no intention of being anywhere other than Manchester United next season.

"But we would never rule out Rangers in the future, however, because they are such a big club." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe in January then icon14.gif

Guest sav112

For Murray to make a statement they must have them nearly in the Bag, Fan Fan fits the bill with him being a big strong defender and from what I’ve read has had a good season.

I wonder who the second signing is? A left winger hopefully

icon14.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rangers manager Alex McLeish admits he is not banking on Stefan Klos being fit for the start of the new season.

Klos has been out since January with a cruciate ligament injury.

McLeish said: "He had an operation on his cruciate which some players take a long, long time to recover from. Stefan has been making good progress.

"But I would say that the possibility of him being back for the beginning of the season is just too soon. Maybe he needs a bit more time."

The loss of Klos proved to be less serious for Rangers than many fans first feared as Ronald Waterreus was brought in and performed well to help the club win the league.

Waterreus seems likely to retain his place for the season's opener against Livingston on 31 July. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flying Mullet icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

aye mabe manu could give us Giggs and Smith icon14.gif , but not some of thier debt icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We can give them Lovenkrands and Mo Ross icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy "Muzza" Murray:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

aye mabe manu could give us Giggs and Smith icon14.gif , but not some of thier debt icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We can give them Lovenkrands and Mo Ross icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and swap Michael Ball for Hienze?

I've taken that too far icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Güdge:

and swap Ferguson for Keane icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whit the band?

Fanfan signs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> RANGERS have clinched their third signing of the summer - Paris-Saint-Germain powerhouse Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan has joined the Light Blues on a three-year deal.

Frenchman Fanfan, a robust central defender, thrashed out terms with Chief Executive Martin Bain at Murray Park tonight and has successfully completed a medical.

All that remains is to register the player with the Scottish football authorities.

The imposing centre back boats an impressive CV.

He began his career at USL Dunkerque, enjoying four steady seasons before making the step up to Lens in 1997.

Jose-Karl, who turns 30 later this month, enjoyed a dream debut campaign by helping his new club to the French title and went on to play a key role in the Lens' run to the UEFA Cup semi-final in 1999/2000.

He joined Dado Prso at Monaco in 2001 then moved to PSG on loan in the summer of 2003 where he forged a formidable defensive partnership with Frederic Dehu.

Fanfan signed a permanent deal with the Parisian side last season - and went on to feature against Chelsea, Porto and CSKA Moscow in the Champions League - but Rangers have reached an agreement with PSG to secure his services.

He'll team up with fellow new boys Brahim Hemdani and Ian Murray in Canada on Sunday.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colin14:

he turned down the tic too (Y) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he did. icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah Frank; it's never happened before with other players, has it...? icon_razz.gif

Another fine signing for Rangers. Quick, strong and a good man-marker means he'll compliment Andrews and/or Soti/AN Other very nicely.

Now, just Soti/AN Other and a left-midfielder required and we're looking good for the start of the season and that all important CL qualifier. Then if we manage to get through that, then hopefully we can spend a small portion of the money on another striker unless the left-midfielder is capable of playing further forward (eg McFadden, Benjani).

Pretty happy at the moment, but the jigsaw isn't complete yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

he turned down the tic too (Y) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he did. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be so painful living in denial

• SI Staff

Another signing that sounds quite good that I've never heard of icon_biggrin.gif

I should start swotting up on French football since that seems to be where we're trying to sign people from icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Another signing that sounds quite good that I've never heard of icon_biggrin.gif

I should start swotting up on French football since that seems to be where we're trying to sign people from icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you too lazy to check him out in the database? icon_biggrin.gif

Archived