Marching On Together?

BillyMysterio

Leeds in real life have just been promoted from nPower League One to the nPower Championship. In real life they may be bucking the trend but 15th is where I am predicted to finish. And I would be happy with that. The squad is a good size, but underrated in my opinion. I'd say Snodgrass is one of the most talented players in the Championship and his stats don't reflect this. Howson is also very good and has been touted as an outsider for an England selection, his stats are relatively poor. Becchio is probably a little bit under-rated.

I'll get by though!

Having said that my star players are...

GK - Kasper Schmeichel - He could stay with me for a while. I don't see myself needing another keeper whilst in the Championship.

DF - Patrick Kisnorbo - Again, he's a dead cert for my team... Unfortunately he's out until February!

MF - Robert Snodgrass - Again he'll be in my squad for the Championship, and I could see him coming in useful for a Premiership campaign in a few years.

ST - Luciano Becchio - Solid stats. Hopefully he'll put away a few goals.

The obvious area to improve is defence. The only player I'd realistically want to keep defensively is Kisnorbo. Obviously I can't get rid of them all, but my efforts will go into improving the defence. I only have 4 strikers, and Paynter is fairly poor on the game, so I reckon I'll get another striker in as cover.

League Cup - I'm not really bothered about this. I'll put out a second string side, and whatever happens, happens.

FA Cup - Again this isn't a priority but there's more chance of getting a big tie, so hopefully I can make it to a round where I'll get the big money tie.

I'm writing this blog after it's all happened, I'm currently in August. What I plan to do in future is write down things as it happens and then post it at the end of the (game) month in the past tense (well maybe, I never particularly do well with the tenses!).

FIXTURES:

8/7/10 Leeds Reserves (H)

16/7/10 Porto (H)

20/7/10 Manchester United Reserves (H)

22/7/10 Guiseley (A)

31 /7/10 Luton (A)

So I start with getting rid of a couple of needless friendlies.

I then changed a lot of the backroom staff. A lot of them were rubbish. A physio with a physio stat of 4! He'll be useful! NOT!

Then start the unenviable task of finding as much of a back four as I can!

And a new back up keeper, and hopefully a striker!

I looked at a lot of defenders and very few came close to the current stock that I wanted to improve on.

My keeper search went better. Tony Sylva and Adriano Basso looked like good prospects.

In the end I signed 5 players (and not in the positions I originally intended)

Michael Ball - LB - I desperately need a left back more than any other defensive position.

Peter Luccin - DM - I thought that although not a defender as such, but along with Faye (another DM) I could maybe experiment with a 3-2-3-2 formation!

Adriano Basso - GK - Great back up keeper who is more than able to step up should Kasper get injured

Luigi Lavecchia - RB - Again a RB was desperately needed. Although ideal in central defence, it's not that shabby!

Tomas Locatelli - RM - I need a back up for Snodgrass. Seeing as he is arguably my star player... He'll no doubt get injured for a very long time!

With my search of free agents/cheap buys not having worked I stepped up my loan efforts... And hit gold in some areas!

Dedryck Boyata - CB - On loan from Manchester City - A very good young centre back that may well be a starter! No wages to pay even better!

Gael Kakuta - CB - On loan from Chelsea - Another good young centre back and again no wages!

Seamus Coleman - RB - On loan from Everton - Probably going to start ahead of Lavecchia... And yes, no wages!

Fabio - LB - On loan from Manchester United - Will provide back up on both sides of defense... No wages!

Gary O'Connor - ST - On loan from Birmingham City - A back up striker should Becchio and Somma not perform!

And my personal favourite...

David Healy - ST - On loan from Sunderland - He's back at the club (and delighted at being at Leeds United) and will probably rotate with Becchio and Somma

RESULTS:

8/7/10 Leeds Reserves (H) - 4-1 W - McCormack (2), Becchio (2)

16/7/10 Porto (H) - 0-2 L

20/7/10 Manchester United Reserves (H) - 1-0 W - Becchio

22/7/10 Guiseley (A) - 4-1 W - OG, Marrazina*, Howson, Birbeck*

31 /7/10 Luton (A) - 1-0 - Becchio

*On trial at the time

Due to them only being friendlies I won't be providing a small match report. I probably will do for competitive matches

August 2010

Like I said previously. I'm already in August, August 8th to be precise. So that's when this blog shall start... Not much happened in the first week anyway!

FIXTURES:

7/8/10 - nPower Championship - Barnsley (A)

10/8/10 - League Cup - Crewe (A)

14/8/10 - nPower Championship - Reading (H)

21/8/10 - nPower Championship - Scunthorpe (A)

25/8/10 - Possible League Cup 2nd Round Match

28/8/10 - nPower Championship - Cardiff (H)

31/8/10 - nPower Championship - Swansea (A)

nPower Championship - Barnsley (A)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Bruce (CB), Locatelli (RM), Johnson (LM), Howson (CM), Gradel (CM), Healy (ST), Becchio (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Collins (CB), Luccin (DM), Nunez (AM), O’Connor (ST), McCormack (ST)

A very good start to the game and season when Howson scored a pearler of a goal after 3 minutes! I couldn't ask for anymore from him or the team!

But I got it! 2 minutes later Howson pops up with another brilliant individual goal... 2-0 with 6 minutes played! GLORIOUS!

The game then fizzled out, with not much happening.

HT Barnsley 0 Leeds 2

The second half started with a good chance for both Leeds and Barnsley, but nothing came of either. Then it quietened down again.

After 71 minutes I gave Becchio a little rest, bringing on McCormack. In the 78th minute Bruce was injured, he was replaced by Collins.

Until the 79In the 78th minute Bruce was injured, he was replaced by Collins. minute... David Healy was sent off for a late tackle. Howson very much disagreed with the sending off. In response to this I brought of Gradel and put Luccin on in defensive midfield. To try and keep the lead, I wasn't going to push for a 3rd goal!

The match continued in the same way as about 70 of the 80 minutes had done so far... Nothing happening!

FT Barnsley 0 (0) Leeds 2 (2)

Goals: Howson (2)

Leeds MOM: Howson

Highlights:

League Position: 4th

Next came Crewe in the League Cup. With Somma coming into the season with a ban (in real life he was sent off in the last match of last season when on loan at Lincoln) and Healy now suspended as well... It looks like I was right to bring in a couple more strikers!

I was told by Grayson (who in the editor I had made assistant manager, knowing full well I'd be Leeds manager) that Healy could have his ban rescinded. So I decided to appeal. The next day I was told the FA had upheld his one match ban.

Howson and Ball made it into the Championship team of the week. Also, Howson was the only man to score more than one goal on the opening weekend so he holds top spot in the goalscoring rankings!

League Cup - Crewe Alexandra (A)

Starting 11: Basso (GK), Fabio (RB), Bessone (LB), Boyata (CB), Bromby (CB), Kakuta (RM), Watt (LM), Faye (CM), Nunez (CM), McCormack (ST), O’Connor (ST)

Subs: Schmeichel (GK), Ball (LB), Connoly (RB), Luccin (DM), Gradel (CM), Becchio (ST), Poleon (ST)

A fairly even start to the game with a shot (off target) for each team within the first 5 minutes. We then took a bit of a stranglehold on the game and were rewarded when Leigh Bromby scored an 11th minute goal. The rest of the first half was fairly uneventful, with no more shots on targets for either team.

HT Crewe 0 Leeds 1

We got off to an excellent start in the second half with us threatening straight from the whistle... McCormack got into the box, and was brought down by Blanchett and the ref pointed to the spot... McCormack stepped up to take it, and SCORED! 2-0 Leeds. We continued to dominate but no good chances really came of it until the 65th minute when Dedryck Boyata scored to make it 3-0 to Leeds. Game = OVER!

Despite this there was still time left to play and I wanted to give Becchio a run out, so he replaced McCormack in the 67th minute. I hoped Becchio might score and then go on to score a bucketful in the next few games!

In the 81st Crewe grabbed a consolation goal courtesy of Grant. I responded by making my final two changes, Kakuta and Fabio off, replaced by Gradel and Connolly. Nunez then grabbed a goal that his performance deserved to make it 4-1 in the 92nd minute.

FT Crewe 1 (0) Leeds 4 (1)

Goals: Bromby, McCormack, Boyata, Nunez

Leeds MOM: Nunez

Highlights:

Qualified for the 2nd round of the League Cup

12th August 2010 – The 2nd Round of the League Cup was drawn today, Leeds we 3rd out, meaning a home tie against... Doncaster Rovers (a fellow nPower Championship side)

I then found out Healy was suspended for two further matches after his straight red against Barnsley.

nPower Championship - Reading (H)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Bruce (CB), Locatelli (RM), Johnson (LM), Howson (CM), Nunez (CM), Becchio (ST), McCormack (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Lavecchia (RB), Watt (LM), Gradel (CM), Paynter (ST), O’Connor (ST)

In the first ten minutes Reading dominated possession and had 3 shots (all off target). The next 15 minutes were much more even but no real chances for either team.

That all changed in the 29th minute when my star of the season so far, Ramon Nunez, scored a goal to make it 1-0 to Leeds! The next 10 minutes were quiet with most of the possession taking place in the middle of the pitch. Reading’s Howard then scored a goal out of nowhere. It made it a fairer scoreline (1-1) but the goal came from nothing. That was the end of the half.

HT Leeds 1 Reading 1

The second half started off very slowly with very little action, a couple of shots, but not in anyway threatening. In an attempt to stir it up I took of Coleman and Johnson and replaced them with Lavecchia and Watt. Unfortunately it didn’t work and Mills made it 2-1 to Reading in the 85th minute. I decided to throw everything I had at Reading, including taking off Boyata (CB) for Paynter (ST). Again, no luck...

FT Leeds 1 (1) Reading 2 (1)

Goals: Nunez

Attendance: 36143

Position:10th

Highlights:

nPower Championship – Scunthorpe (A)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Bruce (CB), Locatelli (RM), Johnson (LM), Howson (CM), Gradel (CM), Nunez (AM), Becchio (ST), Somma (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Boyata (CB), Snodgrass (RM), Kilkenny (CM), McCormack (ST), O’Connor (ST)

Within the first minute Howson had gone close to giving me a very early lead. A few minutes later Locatelli hit the bar. The rest of the half went by with very little happening apart from Gradel getting injured in the 22nd minute (replaced by Kilkenny).

HT Scunthorpe 0 Leeds 0

Even less (if that was possible) happened in the second half, the only difference being Scunthorpe had 60% for the first half hour of the second half. I hoped that changing it around I’d be able to get a result so in the 80th minute I took off Bruce (who’d picked up a knock) and Somma, replacing them with Boyata and O’Connor. Nothing came of it. It ended in a bore draw.

FT Scunthorpe 0 Leeds 0

Leeds MOM: Ball

Position: 12th

No highlights (says it all really)

League Cup – Doncaster (H)

Starting11: Basso (GK), Lavecchia (RB), Fabio (LB), Bromby (CB), Bruce (CB), Faye (DM), Sam (RM), Watt (LM), Nunez (AM), McCormack (ST), Becchio (ST)

Subs: Schmeichel (GK), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Snodgrass (RM), Kilkenny (CM), Somma (ST), O’Connor (ST)

The game started off at a high tempo with immediate action at both ends. It picked up just 5 minutes in when Bruce was tripped in the box, penalty to Leeds! Becchio stepped up to take it and misses. Becchio did miss the penalty according to the match repor, but it didn’t show on the overview and the heading was ‘Comment’ so I’m thinking something went wrong with the actual game. In the live replay it showed him running up to the ball, as he got to the ball, it skips and then suddenly the ball is 30 yards out and play continues.

We continued to dominate the game, peppering the Doncaster goal, without any great chances. And as is seemingly always the way... Doncaster scored instead! Coppinger gave Doncaster a 1-0 lead 26 minutes into the game. After the restart my domination began again, this time it paid off and 40 minutes in I got the equaliser, scorer... Who else? Nunez! 1-1

HT Leeds 1 Doncaster 1

A chance for either team early in the second half, but neither was serious. That was all that happened, so I changed it by taking off Becchio and McCormack, replacing them with Somma and O’Connor. It worked well and 5 minutes later Somma scored to make it 2-1 to me. It left me with 5 minutes to hold on to get into the third round. In the 90th minute I brought on Snodgrass to get a bit of competitive football under his belt whilst he’s still recovering from an injury he received last season (in real life).

FT Leeds 2 (1) Doncaster 1 (1)

Goals: Nunez, Somma

Attendance: 16823

Qualified for the 3rd round of the League Cup

I then got told about the availability of Stephen McPhail of Cardiff (by his agent). I scouted him, and looked at his stats personally and he seems like he’s got what it takes to get into my starting line up. Plus he’s an ex-Leeds player who would probably enjoy coming back to the club. I then found out that Cardiff had recently taken an interest in Amdy Faye and Neil Kilkenny. Faye’s contract expires in January 2011 and he does not seem to want to sign a new contract. So I tried to take advantage and offered Cardiff Faye and Kilkenny in exchange for McPhail.

My next game turned out to be against Cardiff, hence why the offer probably hasn’t been accepted/rejected yet. First came the League Cup 3rd round draw. I got the big tie that I wanted, Manchester United at Old Trafford, meaning I should get half share of 70,000 ticket sales.

nPower Championship - Cardiff (H)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Bruce (CB), Locatelli (RM), Johnson (LM), Howson (CM), Nunez (CM), Becchio (ST), Somma (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Collins (CB), Snodgrass (RM), Gradel (CM),Healy (ST), O’Connor (ST)

Four minutes in, Somma went close... 3 minutes later he went closer, so close in fact it went in... Dream start! After 15 minutes Howson hit the post and was unlucky not to made it 2-0... That came in the 22nd minute when Nunez (who else?) scored to make it 2-0. 4 minutes later it was 3-0 (Becchio). A few chances then ensued for either team, one of Cardiff’s coming very close to getting them back in the game. Just before the half time Parry was found guilty of holding onto Becchio’s shirt, in the box. He also got sent off, which I thought was very harsh. Somma put away the penalty to make it 4-0 at half time.

HT Leeds 4 Cardiff 0

A few chances came my way early in the second half but none were converted. Chopra then got a consolation goal to make it 4-1.

The rest of the match fizzled out with no real action, a few chances here and there but nothing exceptional. In the 75th minute I made a triple substitution with Locatelli, Howson and Johnson being replaced by Snodgrass, Gradel and Healy.

FT Leeds 4 (4) Cardiff 1 (0)

Goals: Somma (2), Nunez, Becchio

Attendance: 37588

Leeds MOM: Becchio

Position:6th

Highlights:

After the match I found that my McPhail offer had been accepted. Two days later he’d agreed to my contract, the following day (31st) Faye and Kilkenny accepted Cardiff’s contract offer and McPhail will be available to me for the game against Swansea.

nPower Championship - Swansea (A)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Bruce (CB), Howson (RM), Johnson (LM), McPhail (CM), Nunez (CM), Becchio (ST), Healy (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Bromby (CB), Snodgrass (RM), Gradel (CM), Somma (ST), O’Connor (ST)

The first 15 minutes passed with a shot on target each that should probably have been converted. Two minutes later star man Nunez was injured, Gradel replaced him. The rest of the half was uneventful with back and forth football but very few shots on goal, until Sinclair scored for Swansea in the 43rd minute.

HT Swansea 1 Leeds 0

5 minutes after the break Becchio missed a sitter, which would turn out to be our best chance. Fabio replaced Ball on 78, Basso replaced Schmiechel in injury time and the game finished 1-0 to Swansea.

FT Swansea 1 (1) Leeds 0

Leeds MOM: Healy

Position: 11th

Highlights:

RESULTS:

7/8/10 - nPower Championship - Barnsley (A) - 2-0 W - Howson (2)

10/8/10 - League Cup - Crewe (A) – 4-1 W - Bromby, McCormack, Boyata, Nunez

14/8/10 - nPower Championship - Reading (H) – 1-2 L - Nunez

21/8/10 - nPower Championship - Scunthorpe (A) – 0-0 D

25/8/10 - League Cup – Doncaster (H) – 2-1 W – Nunez, Somma

28/8/10 - nPower Championship - Cardiff (H) – 4-1 W – Somma (2), Nunez, Becchio

31/8/10 - nPower Championship - Swansea (A) – 0-1 L

August 2010

Like I said previously. I'm already in August, August 8th to be precise. So that's when this blog shall start... Not much happened in the first week anyway!

FIXTURES:

7/8/10 - nPower Championship - Barnsley (A)

10/8/10 - League Cup - Crewe (A)

14/8/10 - nPower Championship - Reading (H)

21/8/10 - nPower Championship - Scunthorpe (A)

25/8/10 - Possible League Cup 2nd Round Match

28/8/10 - nPower Championship - Cardiff (H)

31/8/10 - nPower Championship - Swansea (A)

nPower Championship - Barnsley (A)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Bruce (CB), Locatelli (RM), Johnson (LM), Howson (CM), Gradel (CM), Healy (ST), Becchio (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Collins (CB), Luccin (DM), Nunez (AM), O’Connor (ST), McCormack (ST)

A very good start to the game and season when Howson scored a pearler of a goal after 3 minutes! I couldn't ask for anymore from him or the team!

But I got it! 2 minutes later Howson pops up with another brilliant individual goal... 2-0 with 6 minutes played! GLORIOUS!

The game then fizzled out, with not much happening.

HT Barnsley 0 Leeds 2

The second half started with a good chance for both Leeds and Barnsley, but nothing came of either. Then it quietened down again.

After 71 minutes I gave Becchio a little rest, bringing on McCormack. In the 78th minute Bruce was injured, he was replaced by Collins.

Until the 79In the 78th minute Bruce was injured, he was replaced by Collins. minute... David Healy was sent off for a late tackle. Howson very much disagreed with the sending off. In response to this I brought of Gradel and put Luccin on in defensive midfield. To try and keep the lead, I wasn't going to push for a 3rd goal!

The match continued in the same way as about 70 of the 80 minutes had done so far... Nothing happening!

FT Barnsley 0 (0) Leeds 2 (2)

Goals: Howson (2)

Leeds MOM: Howson

Highlights:

League Position: 4th

Next came Crewe in the League Cup. With Somma coming into the season with a ban (in real life he was sent off in the last match of last season when on loan at Lincoln) and Healy now suspended as well... It looks like I was right to bring in a couple more strikers!

I was told by Grayson (who in the editor I had made assistant manager, knowing full well I'd be Leeds manager) that Healy could have his ban rescinded. So I decided to appeal. The next day I was told the FA had upheld his one match ban.

Howson and Ball made it into the Championship team of the week. Also, Howson was the only man to score more than one goal on the opening weekend so he holds top spot in the goalscoring rankings!

League Cup - Crewe Alexandra (A)

Starting 11: Basso (GK), Fabio (RB), Bessone (LB), Boyata (CB), Bromby (CB), Kakuta (RM), Watt (LM), Faye (CM), Nunez (CM), McCormack (ST), O’Connor (ST)

Subs: Schmeichel (GK), Ball (LB), Connoly (RB), Luccin (DM), Gradel (CM), Becchio (ST), Poleon (ST)

A fairly even start to the game with a shot (off target) for each team within the first 5 minutes. We then took a bit of a stranglehold on the game and were rewarded when Leigh Bromby scored an 11th minute goal. The rest of the first half was fairly uneventful, with no more shots on targets for either team.

HT Crewe 0 Leeds 1

We got off to an excellent start in the second half with us threatening straight from the whistle... McCormack got into the box, and was brought down by Blanchett and the ref pointed to the spot... McCormack stepped up to take it, and SCORED! 2-0 Leeds. We continued to dominate but no good chances really came of it until the 65th minute when Dedryck Boyata scored to make it 3-0 to Leeds. Game = OVER!

Despite this there was still time left to play and I wanted to give Becchio a run out, so he replaced McCormack in the 67th minute. I hoped Becchio might score and then go on to score a bucketful in the next few games!

In the 81st Crewe grabbed a consolation goal courtesy of Grant. I responded by making my final two changes, Kakuta and Fabio off, replaced by Gradel and Connolly. Nunez then grabbed a goal that his performance deserved to make it 4-1 in the 92nd minute.

FT Crewe 1 (0) Leeds 4 (1)

Goals: Bromby, McCormack, Boyata, Nunez

Highlights:

Qualified for the 2nd round of the League Cup

12th August 2010 – The 2nd Round of the League Cup was drawn today, Leeds we 3rd out, meaning a home tie against... Doncaster Rovers (a fellow nPower Championship side)

I then found out Healy was suspended for two further matches after his straight red against Barnsley.

nPower Championship - Reading (H)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Bruce (CB), Locatelli (RM), Johnson (LM), Howson (CM), Nunez (CM), Becchio (ST), McCormack (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Lavecchia (RB), Watt (LM), Gradel (CM), Paynter (ST), O’Connor (ST)

In the first ten minutes Reading dominated possession and had 3 shots (all off target). The next 15 minutes were much more even but no real chances for either team.

That all changed in the 29th minute when my star of the season so far, Ramon Nunez, scored a goal to make it 1-0 to Leeds! The next 10 minutes were quiet with most of the possession taking place in the middle of the pitch. Reading’s Howard then scored a goal out of nowhere. It made it a fairer scoreline (1-1) but the goal came from nothing. That was the end of the half.

HT Leeds 1 Reading 1

The second half started off very slowly with very little action, a couple of shots, but not in anyway threatening. In an attempt to stir it up I took of Coleman and Johnson and replaced them with Lavecchia and Watt. Unfortunately it didn’t work and Mills made it 2-1 to Reading in the 85th minute. I decided to throw everything I had at Reading, including taking off Boyata (CB) for Paynter (ST). Again, no luck...

FT Leeds 1 (1) Reading 2 (1)

Goals: Nunez

Attendance: 36143

MOM: Nunez

Position:10th

Highlights:

nPower Championship – Scunthorpe (A)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Bruce (CB), Locatelli (RM), Johnson (LM), Howson (CM), Gradel (CM), Nunez (AM), Becchio (ST), Somma (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Boyata (CB), Snodgrass (RM), Kilkenny (CM), McCormack (ST), O’Connor (ST)

Within the first minute Howson had gone close to giving me a very early lead. A few minutes later Locatelli hit the bar. The rest of the half went by with very little happening apart from Gradel getting injured in the 22nd minute (replaced by Kilkenny).

HT Scunthorpe 0 Leeds 0

Even less (if that was possible) happened in the second half, the only difference being Scunthorpe had 60% for the first half hour of the second half. I hoped that changing it around I’d be able to get a result so in the 80th minute I took off Bruce (who’d picked up a knock) and Somma, replacing them with Boyata and O’Connor. Nothing came of it. It ended in a bore draw.

FT Scunthorpe 0 Leeds 0

Leeds MOM: Ball

Position: 12th

No highlights (says it all really)

League Cup – Doncaster (H)

Starting11: Basso (GK), Lavecchia (RB), Fabio (LB), Bromby (CB), Bruce (CB), Faye (DM), Sam (RM), Watt (LM), Nunez (AM), McCormack (ST), Becchio (ST)

Subs: Schmeichel (GK), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Snodgrass (RM), Kilkenny (CM), Somma (ST), O’Connor (ST)

The game started off at a high tempo with immediate action at both ends. It picked up just 5 minutes in when Bruce was tripped in the box, penalty to Leeds! Becchio stepped up to take it and misses. Becchio did miss the penalty according to the match repor, but it didn’t show on the overview and the heading was ‘Comment’ so I’m thinking something went wrong with the actual game. In the live replay it showed him running up to the ball, as he got to the ball, it skips and then suddenly the ball is 30 yards out and play continues.

We continued to dominate the game, peppering the Doncaster goal, without any great chances. And as is seemingly always the way, Doncaster scored instead! Coppinger gave Doncaster a 1-0 lead 26 minutes in. After the restart my domination began again, this time it paid off and 40 minutes in I got the equaliser, scorer... Who else? Nunez! 1-1

HT Leeds 1 Doncaster 1

A chance for either team early in the second half, but neither was serious. That was all that happened, so I changed it by taking off Becchio and McCormack, replacing them with Somma and O’Connor. It worked well and 5 minutes later Somma scored to make it 2-1 to me. It left me with 5 minutes to hold on to get into the third round. In the 90th minute I brought on Snodgrass to get a bit of competitive football under his belt whilst he’s still recovering from an injury he received last season (in real life).

FT Leeds 2 (1) Doncaster 1 (1)

Goals: Nunez, Somma

Attendance: 16823

Qualified for the 3rd round of the League Cup

Highlights:

I then got told about the availability of Stephen McPhail of Cardiff (by his agent). I scouted him, and looked at his stats personally and he seems like he’s got what it takes to get into my starting line up. Plus he’s an ex-Leeds player who would probably enjoy coming back to the club. I then found out that Cardiff had recently taken an interest in Amdy Faye and Neil Kilkenny. Faye’s contract expires in January 2011 and he does not seem to want to sign a new contract. So I tried to take advantage and offered Cardiff Faye and Kilkenny in exchange for McPhail.

My next game turned out to be against Cardiff, hence why the offer probably hasn’t been accepted/rejected yet. First came the League Cup 3rd round draw. I got the big tie that I wanted, Manchester United at Old Trafford, meaning I should get half share of 70,000 ticket sales.

nPower Championship - Cardiff (H)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Bruce (CB), Locatelli (RM), Johnson (LM), Howson (CM), Nunez (CM), Becchio (ST), Somma (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Collins (CB), Snodgrass (RM), Gradel (CM),Healy (ST), O’Connor (ST)

Four minutes in, Somma went close... 3 minutes later he went closer, so close in fact it went in... Dream start! After 15 minutes Howson hit the post and was unlucky not to made it 2-0... That came in the 22nd minute when Nunez (who else?) scored to make it 2-0. 4 minutes later it was 3-0 (Becchio). A few chances then ensued for either team, one of Cardiff’s coming very close to getting them back in the game. Just before the half time Parry was found guilty of holding onto Becchio’s shirt, in the box. He also got sent off, which I thought was very harsh. Somma put away the penalty to make it 4-0 at half time.

HT Leeds 4 Cardiff 0

A few chances came my way early in the second half but none were converted. Chopra then got a consolation goal to make it 4-1.

The rest of the match fizzled out with no real action, a few chances here and there but nothing exceptional. In the 75th minute I made a triple substitution with Locatelli, Howson and Johnson being replaced by Snodgrass, Gradel and Healy.

FT Leeds 4 (4) Cardiff 1 (0)

Goals: Somma (2), Nunez, Becchio

Attendance: 37588

Leeds MOM: Becchio

Position:6th

Highlights:

After the match I found that my McPhail offer had been accepted. Two days later he’d agreed to my contract, the following day (31st) Faye and Kilkenny accepted Cardiff’s contract offer and McPhail will be available to me for the game against Swansea.

nPower Championship - Swansea (A)

Starting 11: Schmeichel (GK), Coleman (RB), Ball (LB), Boyata (CB), Bruce (CB), Howson (RM), Johnson (LM), McPhail (CM), Nunez (CM), Becchio (ST), Healy (ST)

Subs: Basso (GK), Fabio (LB), Bromby (CB), Snodgrass (RM), Gradel (CM), Somma (ST), O’Connor (ST)

The first 15 minutes passed with a shot on target each that should probably have been converted. Two minutes later star man Nunez was injured, Gradel replaced him. The rest of the half was uneventful with back and forth football but very few shots on goal, until Sinclair scored for Swansea in the 43rd minute.

HT Swansea 1 Leeds 0

5 minutes after the break Becchio missed a sitter, which would turn out to be our best chance. Fabio replaced Ball on 78, Basso replaced Schmiechel in injury time and the game finished 1-0 to Swansea.

FT Swansea 1 (1) Leeds 0

Leeds MOM: Healy

Position: 11th

Highlights:

RESULTS:

7/8/10 - nPower Championship - Barnsley (A) - 2-0 W - Howson (2)

10/8/10 - League Cup - Crewe (A) – 4-1 W - Bromby, McCormack, Boyata, Nunez

14/8/10 - nPower Championship - Reading (H) – 1-2 L - Nunez

21/8/10 - nPower Championship - Scunthorpe (A) – 0-0 D

25/8/10 - League Cup – Doncaster (H) – 2-1 W – Nunez, Somma

28/8/10 - nPower Championship - Cardiff (H) – 4-1 W – Somma (2), Nunez, Becchio

31/8/10 - nPower Championship - Swansea (A) – 0-1 L

Thanks for the advice guys.

Like I said in my first post. I did one before and did it the way you have described and was told it'd be better if I posted an excerpt from a blog. Evidently that information was wrong! I'm gonna go back and change them all :)

You're welcome. I've looked at your other story post here at FMS and didn't see any mention of a blog. Anyhow, our policy has always been to allow links to outside information (such as your Youtube links, good job there, and links to pictures), but the story copy needs to be posted here. It's not that we don't like blogs, some of us even have them, but our purpose for posting here is pretty clear. Thanks for fixing the copy, I do appreciate it.

Good luck with your game and your writing.

Archived