The Bootroom 2008 Big Challenge - Meon Valley

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first friendly!

Meon Valley 1 Partick Thistle 0

Louis Jackson with the goal in the 71st minute!

Im not playing the conventional 4-4-2 more so the 4-1-2-2-1, the tactic i have been experimenting on and in the last season i used it with man city and went unbeaten!Any one want the tactic?

What a start!

After signing several players on free transfers, notably Matt Jansen, Malcom Christie, Jody Morris and Scott Donnelly and a few staff to boost the training side of things I have just seen Dan Higham score the first ever Meon Valley goal Vs Partick Thistle after 5 mins of my first friendly!

Exciting stuff!!

***Holiday Game Transfer Windows Update***

Meon Valley appoint Ronnie Jepson as manager

New manager Ronnie Jepson has pulled off a real coup by appointing the Italian national goalkeeping coach, Ivando Bordon. He joins the existing coaching staff, which includes senior players Simon Johncock and Pete Jennings along with another rookie coach, Roy Martin (a regen).

The transfer windows closes and And the big signing is…

…Calvin Zola who has taken most of the transfer budget at £45k. Zola comes in to partner Dan Higham up front. Jepson has bought two other players in, left back Kirk Hilton from Antwerp (a former Man Utd youth product) and Scott Golbourne, another left sided player on a 3 month loan from Reading.

Meon Valley have won just two of their six pre-season fixtures, beating Newport County 2-0 and Linfield 3-0. The 2-0 loss to Fiorentina, 1-1 draw against Blackburn are quite creditable but the 4-0 thumping by MK Dons was a bit of a disaster.

The opening day of the season bought the first potential six-poiner against newly promoted Blackpool. Meon Valley took an early lead through Dan Higham – with the season just three minutes old. An equaliser was immediately cancelled out by young winger Will Tomlinson, but the UFOs couldn’t hold on, with Blackpool netting two late goals to take the victory.

Consecutive 2-1 wins against Cheltenham in the League Cup and Norwich back in the Championship gave reason for optimism. Right Back Chris Burns netted goals in both games. From there things have pretty much gone downhill. Three defeats without a single goal leave them 21st in the Championship and out of the league cup.

DISASTER!!!

When you have a paper thin squad what is the last thing you need? Two injuries to key players - Goalkeeper Chris Kelly (2 months) and winger Will Tomlinson (1 month) - and new striker Calvin Zola suspended after getting his first red card at the club. With one goal in six games, it’s not an auspicious start!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Mack2007:

chris kelly is injured and tomlinson also!

Playmaker would it be possible to upload the database please so i can run a future games with them in the game please ( i hate soton anyway)

???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll see what I can do later. I'm trying to fend a very active 8 month old off the keyboard right now, so we're off for a walk. I think she's anxious to find out how the Valley are doing!

Pre-Season Update!

Terrible performances in the first 3 friendly games against Partick Thistle, Blackburn and Fiorentina saw losses of 3-0, 4-0 and 6-0 respectively.

However things soon changed with the arrival of Fraizer Campbell on loan from Man Utd and the annoucement of a parent club in the form of Tottenham, who sent both Andrew Barcham and Jacques Maghoma on loan for the season and accepted a loan deal for Kieran McKenna.

With new players in the first team the remaining friendly games were all victories. Newport Co were dispatched 5-1 and MK Dons 4-0 whilst Linfield provided tougher opposition before we sneaked a 3-2 victory.

I feel that given a bit of luck we could manage a pretty decent position in the league this season although if we get hit by injuries it could quickly become a season to forget!

icon_smile.gif I shall probably update every couple of months of the season if that's ok.

like to start a challenge with a few tinnies by my side, so shall be getting into this tonight, as its a tad early to be starting now... or is it?! one thing i did notice when i had a quick scan at the squad, it its managed to get my height and weight spot on!! icon_biggrin.gif

OK, I’ve just cleared chicken risotto out of the team mascot’s nose and baby puke from my beard and she is now in the process of licking the furniture so there’s just about time for a quick update before rescuing her from goodness knows where…

***Holiday Game October Half Term report***

Ronnie Jepson comes under fire as Meon Valley become the division’s whipping boys

After eleven games, Valley have managed just two wins. The low points so far are a 5-0 thumping at the hands of Sheff Utd and 4-0 at the hands of Coventry, both on the road. 3-0 at home to West Brom was hardly a treat for the fans either. Two injuries to Pete Jennings have limited him to 5 appearances and Valley are missing his creativity.

Scott Golbourne has gone back to Reading having made very little impact. Jepson has failed spectacularly to take advantage of the free transfer market or bring any loans in. It looks like the youth players will get some serious first team experience under their belts. His job is still secure, but his description says “Under-fire boss†so someone is clearly not happy.

Chris Burns is currently joint top scorer with Calvin Zola (3 each). Higham has 2 and Tomlinson and Sneaky Ninja (who played the last game up front instead of Higham) have one a piece.

Valley are firmly routed to the bottom of the table with a record of 2 wins and 9 losses, goal difference of -16 and just 6 points.

August 2007

The month started off with a pretty even 3-3 draw away at Blackpool with a controversial goal being disallowed that would have giving us the win.

Next up was the League Cup, we had drawn Cheltenham so I hoped for an easy victory. It wasn't to be though and although we dominated from start to finish it ended up 1-1 after extra time and Cheltenham went through on penalties.

Our first competitive home game was against Norwich, I hoped for a draw but it looked unlikely as they were all over us. Somehow though we managed to grab 2 goals and their strikers missed many easy chances so we got our first league win of the season!

The last game of the month was a pretty boring 0-0 draw with Ipswich.

Will Tomlinson came second in the young player of the month award.

League position - 9th

***Holiday Game Christmas Day Report***

Just don’t ask…

Two wins against Stoke and Burnley temporarily lifted Meon Valley to the dizzy heights of 23rd. Unfortunately they are now on a nine game winless streak, leaving them 8 points adrift of Colchester in 21st place and yet to pick up an away win.

Chris Kelly is fit again. He’s yet to keep a clean sheet, but at least it is down to 1s and 2s conceded now. Dan Higham seems to have hit some goal scoring form at last (5 in 12 games) and it is no coincidence that it coincides with Jennings and Tomlinson being fit. If Jepson could add a DM and a decent ML then Valley’s attacking capability might just get them out of trouble. Despite low expectations Jepson’s job is now rated as insecure. Will he get the sack before the January transfer window closes?

Bottom Six

19th Sheff Wed Pl(23), W(7), D(4), L(12), GF(23), GA(23), GD(-10), Pts(25)

20th Crystal Palace Pl(23), W(6), D(5), L(12), GF(24), GA(36), GD(-12), Pts(23)

21st Colchester Pl(23), W(7), D(2), L(14), GF(21), GA(39), GD(-18), Pts(23)

22nd Barnsley Pl(23), W(6), D(4), L(13), GF(26), GA(38), GD(-12), Pts(22)

23rd Hull Pl(23), W(5), D(2), L(16), GF(20), GA(42), GD(-22), Pts(17)

24th Meon Valley Pl (23), W(4), D(3), L(16), GF(20), GA(45), GD(-25), Pts(15)

[/b]Player Performances[/b]

Top Goalscorer Dan Higham (7), Calvin Zola(6), Chris Burns(3)

Most Assists Pete Jennings, Blan Page (2)

Highest Average Rating Dan Higham (6.68), Pete Jennings (6.65), Calvin Zola (6.63), Will Tomlinson (6.48)

Highest rated sign-up players John Carthy, Robert Dawson (6.00)

Most apps for sign-up players Chris Burns (23), Sneaky Ninja (19) Keith Spendiff (17), John Carthy (12)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by louis118:

Why is the new stadium just called str marys in my game and not the solent superdome </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea. We've all started from the same save game and mine says Solent Superdome. What is the date for the move? I didn't delete the stadium from the database, so maybe they have decided to mover there temporarily, instead of staying at The Bootroom. I'm just clutching at straws really.

Yeah said exact same thing when I loaded the game. It's definitely to do with having to use the default database.

In my game Meon Valley are currently playing at 6280 capacity stadium Staplewood and are due to move to 54000 capacity St. Mary's on 1.6.2010

September 2007

The month started in a positive fashion with a 3-1 victory over Sheffield Weds with both Higham and Campbell getting on the scoresheet. Unfortunately Tomlinson got injured and was out for a month alongside Jennings.

The next two games we were outplayed completely by Sheffild United and West Brom losing 1-0 and 3-0. Fraizer Campbell was injured in the first of the two games and was put out of action for a month.

Next up was a game against Leicester that we should have won but the strikers just struggled to put away the chances they had and we ended up drawing 1-1.

The last game of the month was against Coventry. Before the game had even begun the footballing Gods had decided that Mean Valley were not going to stand a chance by injuring all of their goalkeepers in the space of a week. The random grey goalkeeper did his best to keep out of the way of the ball and as a result we lost 7-3.

Really not a good month at all. Fraizer Campbell won goal of the month though! Next up is a game against league leaders Wolves....

League Position - 15th

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In my game Meon Valley are currently playing at 6280 capacity stadium Staplewood and are due to move to 54000 capacity St. Mary's on 1.6.2010 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by evry1sfavedave:

I think I may know. Could it be because we are having to use the default database? When I loaded up the game it said that it could not find the database for it so it would use the default.

This may be fixed if you put the database up for us to download. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK. I'm uploading it now. It might take a while, as it is 71Mb. Estimated time is currently 38 mins.

I'll post the link when it is done.

Downloaded and ready to go.

The Chairman's name made me chuckle a little, I have to say!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Meon Valley appoint Ronnie Jepson as manager </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a Gills follower, that's got to be the worst news, right there. Cue huge influx of burnt-out no hopers at any moment.

Anybody out there want to create a club badge and kits for Meaon Valley?

It just doesn't look right, having every other team properly kitted out, except the UFOs...

Badge Pic Home shirt pic

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by evry1sfavedave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In my game Meon Valley are currently playing at 6280 capacity stadium Staplewood and are due to move to 54000 capacity St. Mary's on 1.6.2010 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange that it has the capacity I entered, but not the right name.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by carthy1:

where do you extract this ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/Games

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by darkyo666666:

I have a problem with the database. When I load the savegame, fm says it can't find the database of the game and it will load the default database. How can i fix it?

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will run fine without the database, but the stadium names appear incorrectly.

I have uploaded the database to go with the save game. Just look up a few posts for the Rapidshare link or up a few more for the Sendspace link.

It is over 70Mb, so it's up to you whether that is worth it for two stadium names. Otherwise you can just ignore the error message and carry on.

After getting in a couple of freebies, including malcolm christie and jody morris, Meon Vally pulled off a coo by signing Kieran Lee and Chris Eagles from Man Utd on a season loan. They had quite a good start to the season with the following friendly results..

Meon Valley 3 - Partick Thistle 1

Meon Valley 1 - Blackburn 1

Meon Valley 0 - Fiorentina 2

Meon Valley 3 - Newport County 0

Meon Valley 3 - MK Dons 0

Meon Valley 2 - Linfield 2

They are just about to start the league season, and will update soon!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by West Country Cop:

After getting in a couple of freebies, including malcolm christie and jody morris, Meon Vally pulled off a coo by signing Kieran Lee and Chris Eagles from Man Utd on a season loan. They had quite a good start to the season with the following friendly results.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to get Chris Eagles in my test game, but he wouldn't come. And I lowered the reputation after that as well!

Well it looks like nothing can save Meon valley this season, at christmas they are rooted to the bottom of the divison with only 2 wins. They are 12 points adrift of next placed Hull City, and 13 points adrift if safety. The signing of the season, chris eagles, has suffered a broken leg and is not expecting to return until march. Can the Valley put together a remarkable run of form to escape the drop?

One suspects not.

Archived