Two strikers up front - right footed - right side?

Hey guys,

Just a small question about positioning and strength of feet of strikers. I have two strikers up front in a 4-4-2. My best striker is the one on the left and I'm playing him as a poacher, but he's right footed. Does it make much difference? Would he play better on the right hand side?

right footed left side. that way he has more to aim at. so left footed right side

Not necessarily. Right footed, right side allows the shot across the face of goal, and furthermore allows the striker to hit the byline after running the channels and cross the ball first time on his natural foot.

Also, a right footer on the left side has to check himself and cut inside to square up to the goal.

My answer to the OP... personal preference; but I'd have the strikers switching throughout the game unless you're playing a Target Man/Poacher combination.

the player doesnt need to square up towards goal, just by playing normall when he has a shot on goal he has more to shoot at due to the fact if ya kick with the right foot, theres more chance of kicking the ball to the right, that's natural when kicking, and just reverse it with a left footer. Previously for fm10 or was it fm09 Miles advised if the striker is right footed, he performs better if placed on the left hand side of the formation

the player doesnt need to square up towards goal, just by playing normall when he has a shot on goal he has more to shoot at due to the fact if ya kick with the right foot, theres more chance of kicking the ball to the right, that's natural when kicking, and just reverse it with a left footer. Previously for fm10 or was it fm09 Miles advised if the striker is right footed, he performs better if placed on the left hand side of the formation

It's the complete opposite actually! Stand up and take a swing with your right foot now; you'll notice that unless you open up your foot, you're natural motion swings inwards meaning you're much more likely to kick the ball left than right.

That's why if you play the right-footer on the right, he shoots across goal easier because he's hitting the ball across his body to his left.

IT depends on your play style.

If you expect your strikers to get wide and deliver crosses for the other striker, then you want the right footer on the right side and the left on the left.

however, if you play rather much more direct, or with very wide forward wingers, then you want your strikers on the opposite side as it is easier to shoot at the goal from the left handside if you are right footed as the natural curve of the balls flight takes it towards the goal, rather than swinging away from it.

Its the same with corners, if you want an inswinger, then you want the player to kick the ball from the oposite side of the pitch to which foot he uses.

Obiviously all of that is irrelavent if you have extremely talented players, or as in my second example a player like david beckham who seems able to swing the ball in either direction with his right foot...

EDIT - but as tubey pointed out, the swing of the ball is rather dependant on where the player is likely to be shooting from. If they are running straight towards the goal from the right handside, then the ball curving left will drag it towards the top left corner, conversely if they are on the left and running at an angle to the goal then the right footer has the advantage because the ball will curve towards the goal, rather than away from it.

Let's take the example of a right footed player in the STR slot. He is slightly more likely to receive the ball into his preferred foot when placed on this side, which is an immediate advantage. When shooting to the right side, he can open up his body and take the shot easily with the inside of his right foot. However, when shooting across the goal to the left side, which given his position may be where he is often looking to shoot, any shot is likely to be slightly less effective from the inside of his right foot. Coming forward to shoot at goal, he also has less chance to curl the ball from his right of centre position.

When placed in the STL slot, the player is slightly less likely to receive the ball into his preferred foot. He does, however, have more chance to take dangerous shots or to play forward balls to the right by opening up his body and using the inside of his right foot. This is clearly an advantage over placing him in the other slot, in my opinion. When coming forward to shoot at goal from range, he may well have the chance now to curl a shot across the goal.

The match engine does quite accurately represent footedness, especially for wide players who will act quite differently when you put them on the opposite flank to their preferred foot. Naturally, a player who is strong on both feet has an advantage here and can be placed in either position.

I tend to go for my right-sided poacher on the right side, personally. Of course, it would be a considerable advantage to have a forward who is very strong on both feet!

right footed left side. that way he has more to aim at. so left footed right side
Not necessarily. Right footed, right side allows the shot across the face of goal, and furthermore allows the striker to hit the byline after running the channels and cross the ball first time on his natural foot.

Also, a right footer on the left side has to check himself and cut inside to square up to the goal.

My answer to the OP... personal preference; but I'd have the strikers switching throughout the game unless you're playing a Target Man/Poacher combination.

Both these suggestions have their benefits.

For me, it depends entirely on the role (if playing a single forward) or roles (if two forwards), that I happen to be using.

For maximum flexibility though, it's one reason that whenever possible, I like to try signing forwards who are capable with both feet. It naturally opens up many more possibilities. For example, with a single forward, I always consider it essential that they can use either foot. Just as essential as certain key attributes for the particular role they're playing.

A right-footed shot from the left side of goal will more easily do one of two things: 1) curve around the 'keeper into the right side of the goal, or 2) sneak past the 'keeper into the left side. The former will be true because, unless the shooter strikes the "inside" of the ball, the swerve will be from right to left. The latter will be true because the angle will be better than from the left foot. However, to take this shot, the shooter will have to position his body closer to parallel with the touchline than the endline, or open it up while shooting, since the natural tendency is to kick by bringing the foot across the body. This makes the shot more difficult to accomplish if the player is running vertically towards the endline; it's more likely to happen from play that is already established in the opponent's end of the field.

A right-footed shot from the right side of goal will naturally tend to screw across the mouth of goal. This makes it harder to score, because the ball, to be on target, has to be sent towards the 'keeper, unless the player strikes the "inside" of the ball. Similarly, an attempt from the right to sneak in at the near post will have a less easy angle to shoot through. But the shot will be more natural for the right-footed player, since he can stay more parallel to the end line while striking it. This makes the shot easier to accomplish on the trot forward; it's more likely to happen from a direct forward attack.

In real life, if you watch strikers in two striker systems, you'll see that they switch sides during attacks regularly. Good strikers are also not totally one-footed, usually. The striker who cannot use his left foot to attack with becomes much easier to defend.

Do not forget that defenders have to be between your striker and the goal. That often means your striker will have to dribble past the defender if he's right footed and on the left side : he'll have to put the ball on his right foot - which is the place the defender should be, therefore making it harder to shoot without being blocked.

I'd advise "right footed, right side" :)

how about strikers swapping positions to also confuse their marking centre backs!

I use this a lot especially if I have 2 pacey forwards up to. Depending on attributes and individual settings otherwise. For example if a player can dribble alright and has a good left foot on him have him cutting in from right.

• 1 year later...

I was thinking about this subject and about how PPMs could have an impact on your decision.

Would it make sense to have a striker who 'shoots with power' on his preferred side according to his footedness? Like right foot, right side, 'shoots with power' PPM?

On the other hand, if you have a striker who 'places his shots' would it make more sense to put him on the opposite side to his preferred foot as he will have more chance to open up his body and curve shots across the goal?

Just a thought.......

It depends entirely on tactics, personnel, etc. There's no right or wrong way to do it. If have a righty and lefty strike partnership, both of whom have the beating for pace against the opposition defence, then having them with their preferred feet on the outside would be beneficial, as they'd have the beating of their markers down the outside all day.

I know you can't always compare FM to reality, but I think it's fitting here. In reality, if a manager has going with 2 up front has a left footed forward, and a right footed forward, generally he'll play them on the sides of their preferred foot. There are examples where that isn't the case, and the most notable example I can think of is the strike partnership is the the Real Madrid partnership of the 80s, Butragueno and Hugo Sanchez. It was the lefty Sanchez on the right side, and Butragueno the righty on the left side. However this worked as the primary aim for both was simply to score goals. There wasn't much dropping deep or getting involved in the midfield build-up, it was just stay up top, and be in the box to score them goals.

And that's where FM comes into it. I find that most players of the game tend to play their strikers only to be high up the pitch, as goal threats. So as long as you have confidence in your midfield to get the ball up forward and create the chances themselves, then yes, it can be very beneficial to have two strikers facing the inside.

The other thing to take into consideration is opposition instructions. A right footed player on the right side whose defender is instructed to "put him on to weaker foot" will open space for an easy pass to his partner. Conversely, a right footed player on the left side who is forced onto his left foot will have fewer options available.

At least I tend to see this based on the opposition instructions I give. I don't know how much the AI uses them.

Ideally, you want your tactic to create many different types of chances.

You want left-footed crosses from the left, and left-footed crosses from the right and vice versa.

You want left-footed through balls on the outside from the left, and right footed through balls on the outside from the right.

You want left-footed through balls on the inside from the right, and right-footed through balls on the inside from the left.

You want your forwards to come deep and connect play, and you want them to go behind the defense and beat the offside trap.

You want your forwards to skin the defenders using quickness and technique, and you want them to muscle off their marker and blast the ball into the goal.

Hell, some may even say you want long shots (but I say only when it is the correct choice, which it almost never is).

So I concur with those above who say "it depends". It depends on the type of chances you create, and if you create all these types of chances it really doesn't matter which foot a forward prefers... I'd even say that in that case you might be best served having players contributing different things to the team; and here that spells "have both types of footedness for every attacking position".

I've created a discussion thread with a poll on the tactics forum for anyone who might be interested to talk about this in a more tactical and in depth way.

See here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/309422-Striker-positions-amp-footedness

Hope to see some of you over there voting and giving your comments. Quite an interesting topic for discussion in my opinion. :)

however, if you play rather much more direct, or with very wide forward wingers, then you want your strikers on the opposite side as it is easier to shoot at the goal from the left handside if you are right footed as the natural curve of the balls flight takes it towards the goal, rather than swinging away from it.

When I'm playing direct or counterattacking ball, I like to do same foot/side to encourage passing to the other striker and quick shots after veering away from goal to pass the keeper or the centrebacks. When I'm playing possession ball, I assume my strikers are going to cut inside from wide positions while my fullbacks provide width, so I do opposite foot/side and then try to get them to receive drilled crosses onto their stronger foot.

Unless, that is, one of my strikers plays with their back to goal... that could change everything.

So yeah, it's all just opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not see much difference . My best 2 strikers have very similar stats and both are right footed

The one on the right runs into the channels and the one on the left cuts inside . Over the last 3 seasons their goal tally has been 27/53 . 35/31 . 48/52 .

Of course injuries have made a difference at times but overall their average goals per game has worked out virtually identical

I like to swap 2 man strike forces during games. I don't use the swap in the individual instructions though as I like to choose when to swap so I go to quick tactics on the match screen and swap two players. I think good players can play either side if they are provided with adequate space to receive passes.

I never had much luck instructing my strikers to switch positions throughout matches. I always felt that the team became disjointed. I do, however, play a left-footed forward in the right slot, but if I do this there is one attribute I always look for in particular - technique. Has to be high to really be successful. Good technique, agility, balance and the 'places shots' PPM makes for an excellent player in the 'wrong' slot.

• 1 month later...

i believe that whether or not a striker has the PPM "uses outside of foot" affects this as well..

for a right footed striker playing on STL and this ppm, receiving the ball from the left means he receives it using his right foot and can then immediately cut in.. when he receives the ball from the right, he can still cut in because he can control the ball using his outer right foot.. whether is it better for him in case 2 depends on his 1st touch and technique.. :)

i believe that whether or not a striker has the PPM "uses outside of foot" affects this as well..

for a right footed striker playing on STL and this ppm, receiving the ball from the left means he receives it using his right foot and can then immediately cut in.. when he receives the ball from the right, he can still cut in because he can control the ball using his outer right foot.. whether is it better for him in case 2 depends on his 1st touch and technique.. :)

I suppose it depends what that PPM means. I've always assumed that players use whatever part of the foot is required to keep control of the ball when dribbling and the PPM "Uses Outside Of Foot" was for shooting and passing, I could have it completely wrong though.

It also depends whether you prefer your attacks to be more 'centralized' or wider. If you place a right-footed striker on the left and vice-versa, the attack will be more centric as both strikers' natural tendency is to cut inside and shoot. If you want your strikers to stretch the opposition defense a little more, try playing a left-footed striker on the left and/or a right-footed striker on the right and make either one a Trequartista. That way, the Trequartista may act as a winger sometimes, crossing the balls into the area for the other striker.

If the striker is going to remain central then moves out wide to cross to his partner, I use right foot/right side and left foot/left side.

If the striker is mainly going to move out wide out of possession and then cut in to score, I use left foot/right side.

Generally, in counterattacking systems, I prefer same foot. In possession systems, I prefer opposite foot.

Best solution: buy two-footed strikers.

Ahh this discussion again. There's no exact science to this. Placing a right footer on the right is better if you want him to do the occasional cross. Having a lefty on the right can be good for cutting in like a playmaking target man

Archived