Strangest Managerial appointment

Holger Osieck (current Australia manager) retired and was replaced by John Doyle, an Australian manager without much of a reputation. But then a year later he retired and was replaced by an Irish manager with an obscure reputation who'd just retired from playing in Ireland's lower leagues. :confused:

Absolutely brilliant thread!

There's a couple of bizarre ones in my save. Some quite realistic too though.

I'm not on my comp at the moment but as I remember it;

Heskey is at Hull, Roy Keane patched things up with the Irish FA and took charge of the national team.

With ruud van Nistelrooy replacing him at Ipswich.

Rafa's returned to Liverpool to undo any progress Hodgson made before retiring

But strangest of all, or maybe not, is United admitting that Sir Alex is irreplaceable by not bothering to try. He retired before the end of last season with the team top of the premier league. They offered me the role but I decided to stick with the squad I was building at saints. I'm entering the following November and they're still managerless. Even Mike Phelan has left to boss Spurs!

Not that they apparently need a boss being reigning champions and top of the pile!

EDIT:

Mick McCarthy is at Man Citeh. Javier Aguirre is at Arsenal (obviously!) but with Franco Baldini as his no.2!! Paul Jewell is at Newcastle (Hughton is Jobless). Quique Flores is at Inter. Delio Rossi at AC Milan (from Palermo). Luigi De Canio at Roma (from Lecce). Martin O'Neill has been and gone at Portsmouth. Where Gordon Strachan has taken over, Steve Bruce is at Everton, Zola is at Empoli, Bruno Labaddia has joined Juventus from Schalke. Where he has been replaced by Steve McClaren

Oh and Van Nistelrooy has been fired at Ipswich to be replaced with Kevin Blackwell.

The weirdest appointment I've seen was Benitez leaves Inter to manage England (England love to gamble don't they!). I've then seen Pep Guardiola quit Barcelona after winning Champions League two years in a row to manage Spain. Realistically, the Assistant Manager for Barcelona stepped up and took over.

And the many, many merry-go-rounds of manager swapping.

(Funny enough. Aguire is doing a good job at Man. City buying Ronaldo...) and i believe Landrup? is managing Arsenal and bought Maicon from inter.

In in 2014 and so far i have seen.............

Wenger - Inter Milan

Moyes - Chelsea

Benitez - Liverpool!! (on verge of sack 10th)

Alan Shearer - Man City

Marvin Andrews??? - Man Utd

and Steve Bruce is the ONLY serving manager of a premiership club that is still in charge of a club back in 2010.

Mine is actually me as manger. I started at Sheff Utd, was sacked after a season then out of football a couple of seasons before AC milan offered me a contract.

Here is a link when I originally posted it. Seeing if its a bug and will need tuning for the patch. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/239948-This-has-to-be-the-most-unlikely-job-appointment-ever!!!!-Meteoric-rise-to-the-top

Was just wondering what the strangest managerial appointment people have seen so far?

Apart from Moyes leaving to join Villa ( which happens everytime I play the game it seems ) I have seen Wenger leave title winning Arsenal to join 11th placed Roma, Mancini leave Man City to join 16th placed Liverpool and most bizarre of all as a Tranmere fan John Barnes being linked to a number of high profile jobs before being appointed Southampton manager, as someone who witnessed Barnes managerial talents firsthand at Tranmere I feel sorry for the Southampton fans in the game :)

Moyes left for Villa in my game too.

Some strange things here as well:

- Deschamps has left Marseille to take over FRANCE squad after Laurent BLANC not being able to qualify France for Euro cup, in 2011 (ok, could be fine, even if Blanc was with a 6 win on going...). Then, everyone could think that Blanc would take over OM (that chased him a lot in the past, Blanc being 1 of the top player from that team in the glorious years)... but no, the one that have been elected was:

Alain Gouaméné from Ivory Coast !!!!! incredible... this one has not even 10 in tacticals, ...

Crazy...

And Blanc and Deschamps' 2nd in command, that act as shadow for them since they are training (Gasset and Stephan) have not followed their "boss"... not credible too.

- R Denouex has taken over Paris SG, after 7 years without managing !

On FM10, in my Newcastle game Man Utd ended up as a mid table team. When Fergie retired they appointed Cannavaro, sacked him when we beat them in the FA Cup final after a poor league finish then appointed Mowbray who didn't do any better, then appointed Mick McCarthy who managed to get them to about 8th.

a few of my fm10 favs

Frank Rijkaard at Arsenal

Max Tonetto at Juventus (was sacked by Serie B side Siena just befor joining)

Martin O'Neill at Fiorentina

Zlatan at Livorno

Henrik Larsson at Toon (he then left for the more glamorous Bristol City job)

Just as I quit my game last night in May 2011 I got a news item stating Balotelli had submitted a transfer request, and Mancini had been sacked (Citeh finished about 14th). Dunno who gets appointed yet, but the candidates touted for the job are John Toshack and Alan Curbishley! Arabs run out of oil??

EDIT: Woah! Who got the Citeh job? REDKNAPP!! Walked out on Spurs.

Who got Spurs? Allardyce!! Levy hates all that attractive football?

Oh and another sacking at Newcastle - After Hughton, Steve Stone got the job but is dumped as the season ends. The usual suspects mentioned above (Tosh, Curbs, Megson) in the frame.

Shefki Kuqi, Michael Owen and Rio Ferdinand all at Sunderland after I was sacked after working wonders for them. Rio on the brink.

Radostin Kishishev at Chelsea (sacked almost immediately)

Martin Petrov working wonders at Man City.

I'm at Liverpool in 2018. Happy days. Paulo Henrique is awesome!!

Pedrinha at Utd, Bruce at Newcastle, Strachan at Tottenham, Dennis Wise at Albion, Rio at West Ham, Flores at Arsenal, peter Reid at Villa, Grant at Chelski, McLeish at Liverpool (after they re-hired and sacked Bentiez twice lol) and Ancelotte currently at Citeh...this in 2019 on my save...

Though there have been numerous ridiculous appointments, had Pardew sacked a month after taking over at Boro despite winning 3 of his 4 games in charge....

Archived