[FM11][RELEASED] New and improved background selection mod

radestock

Hi

I decided to update my background selection mod that I produced for FM2009. Since then it's been used in a great deal of skins and I'm glad people thought it was a decent inclusion. However, there were a few compromises in it that I didn't particularly like:

1. When you had backgrounds installed for a player or team they only showed on the first background. That meant you couldn't pick the background you wanted AND use backgrounds for players/teams/stadiums.

2. There was no way to see a preview of the background you were about to select.

3. The mod wasn't particularly plug-and-play. It needed a fair bit of adapting to fit in with skins and it changed a lot of the 'global panels.xml' file, which it shouldn't.

4. There was no way to control how visible the background was.

This new mod fixes those problems. Take a look at the youtube video I've produced to see it in action (it's just been uploaded so the quality will improve at it processes):

There we go. I've made this with other skinners in mind so everything is very easy to change.

Changing which backgrounds you can select

To make the backgrounds different all you need to do is go into the graphics/bgsmod11/ folder and change the .jpg files in there. When you do this the selection buttons in-game will change. There is no need to create smaller preview backgrounds or anything like that.

Easy to Use with other skins

I've tried to touch the default files as little as possible. The mod itself only needs a widget deleting and two lines of code added in the global panels.xml file and that's it:

Delete This piece of code near the top of the file:

<!-- background picture - covers entire screen -->
 <widget class="background" file="backgrounds/default">
   <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="all" inset="0"/>
   <attachment class="get_global_attachment" get_property="bgnd" set_property="file" skip_if_null="true"/>
 </widget> 

<container file="bgsmod11/backgrounds"/> - This needs to be put at the start of the file just after it says <panel name="global panels" version="1.0">

<container id="bgs1" file="bgsmod11/workings" hidn="true"/> - this needs to be put near the middle of the file just before it says <!-- progress panel -->

Now just transfer the whole 'bgsmod11' folder from 'graphics/' to the graphics folder of your skin and the 'bgsmod11' folder from 'panels/' to the panels folder of your skin. After that all it needs is some way to make the mod show. I've included a basic button in the footer as an example but you could put a button anywhere you like as long as it has the same action.

The XML files are all laid out nicely and are commented to help people understand them. I've also included a file listing all the IDs I used so that you can avoid duplicating them if you need to create new IDs in your own skin. Graphics are all easily interchangeable and are accessible within the graphics/bgsmod11 folder.

Downloads

This isn't meant to be an actual skin for people to use though they are welcome to do so if they like the default look. It is merely a demonstration of a concept and as such should be used as a starting point. The graphics used can easily be altered as can the positions of things so that it suits your own skin. Through the comments in-file you can see where different graphical elements are and remove them or change them however you wish.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tpd7zx221jqzk1m

Installation is the same as any skin - please see our skin installation guide in the sticky threads at the top of the forum.

Support/Usage

I am unable to offer any support on an individual basis for anyone wishing to use this in there own skin. I've tried to comment as much as I can in-file and although it is fairly simple to use it might not be suitable for inexperienced skinners as it can be difficult to get your head around what's going on. If you do use this in your own skin then all I ask is for a credit somewhere.

I hope everyone enjoys this.

Fantastic work, I remember trying a preview option when I initially modded your BG selector to appear as a quicklink icon on one of my older skins but I just could not get it to work. Will definitely have a play with this upgrade though as it looks a superb piece of work as usual.

Cheers,

M

Actually, i'll come back to that, would settle for just getting it working currently. I've got this far, every screen i visit is remembered and the text stays on the screen (between the menubar and the top of the background), plus the main box is cut short under the menubar...

41422747.png

Any ideas where i am going wrong?

Good stuff this (the opacity thing is one of those ideas that's dead obvious, and you wonder why it hadn't occured to you before, assuming it works the way I think it does). Are you using the image scaling to do the previews, with an invisible button on top?

Nope, tried that, doesn't make any difference. The issue i was having in the other thread was to do with the titlebar and changing the graphics in gaphics/interface/titlebar fixed that.

The cow background starts exactly 150 pixels from the top of the screen - 150px is the height of the padding I used. It has to be something to do with that.

The cow background starts exactly 150 pixels from the top of the screen - 150px is the height of the padding I used. It has to be something to do with that.

Well all i can say is that when i adjust that value in backgrounds.xml nothing happens. I'm giving up anyway as it's doing my head in!

great job I will give a try with Singular .EX

and worked very well

just one thing i want to know, how can I make the overlay black instead of white?

Just change the graphics in the folder.

I tried and failed to install this for my Flex 11 skin. Shameless ask here, but if anyone feels like giving me a hand i'd be so grateful and would credit that kind person for their work in the skin. I think the background changer button would be best located at the top in the menubar somewhere.

Skin can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b2hate8txx1egs7/Flex11_v1.3.1.rar

Thread for skin here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/240145-FM11-RELEASED-Flex-11

if i do the setup can you sort the graphics yourself mate? can have it ready in about 5 minutes :)

Yeah no worries! Can't thank you enough!

I'm sure i don't need to tell you but Flex is left and right sided so the global panels.xml will need updating in both.

EDIT: Also please use the first download link in post 19 as that's the very latest version of Flex rather than any other version you may already have.

hi all. perhaps one of you can help me out a little. i like the mod in the footer but i would like to change it from a button to just a footer text button.

th_47733_Untitled_122_40lo.jpg

as you can see i've already managed it somewhat... but i would like an icon and a seperator like the other footer links.

i think i can use the code from breadcrumbs.xml (perhaps i'm wrong) where there is something with the seperator:

<widget class="picture" id="bcse" auto_size="all" file="menu/breadcrumbs/seperator"/>

and the icon:

<widget class="picture" id="bcic" scale_picture="true" keep_aspect_ratio="true" height="12" width="19" image_alignment="centre" hidden="true"/>

but what i really need to know is how to put those codes in the footer.xml so that it will work out.

Cheers, glad to help :)

Little niggle though Nick or radestock, the transparency levels are all too bright in my opinion. I've changed the 20% graphics with my own which are working fine and looking good. but the ones above that are just a waste of time as anything over 20% is just too bright. Is there any way of just getting rid of the trasparency option rather than changing the graphics for each level? I like the idea of just using it as a changer.

Which file should I change, there are lots of them :D

The main graphics you need are:

container.png - the main

overlay.png, shadow.png and shine.png control the round edges of the button strip, the shadow of the button strip and the shine overlay of the button strip.

The various 'paper' images I actually meant to delete as they aren't used.

The buttons for the images are in the buttons folder. Again the close folder you can ignore as that isn't used and I should have taken it out.

so i have successfully installed the mod but when i click on a background nothing happens. are they meant to change instantly?

i am using the base dark skin that i have changed around a fair bit. and i have the background overlay file in the graphics folder

any ideas why it might not be woking?

Neither, it works by having all the images there, but hidden, so when the game or skin reloads it goes back to the default. You could change the hidden flags on the background and filter widgets to be what you want, but it won't remember any changes

so i have successfully installed the mod but when i click on a background nothing happens. are they meant to change instantly?

i am using the base dark skin that i have changed around a fair bit. and i have the background overlay file in the graphics folder

any ideas why it might not be woking?

If you've got a background pack installed you may not get it to work.

I've just made a thread about this but maybe would be better here.

I would really like to use the base of this as my skin, but want to use it with the dark version and not the light versio.

Is there a simple way that I could change the base skin above to the dark version?

Many thanks in advance....

• 3 weeks later...

radestock, thanks for your efforts and this splendid job, i managed to incorporate it in my skin in 1 minute.

#1 does it only support 6 pics?

#2 how to add an option of no transparency? done, i've edited the 80% to 0%

#3 wasn't it supposed to use independent backgrounds? (one in one player, another in another player or in team, another in home, or did i understood this wrong)

#4 every time i go to game options, and save, the background resets, how to fix this? done, it defaults to bgn1, so i changed the pics

thanks

Stupid question: How do you change the pics in the background i.e. the duck, cow, etc? Do I just delete them and drag new pics into the file?

Update: I did delete one of the pics, but it keeps showing up. Odd. Any help appreciated.

Update 2: So, I am assuming I am just clueless. I deleted a couple of the pics and replaced them. Now, the backround button shows the remaining 2 pics in their slots (4 and 6) and 4 empty slots. I did put the new pics in the 1,2,3 and 5 slots. Nothing. What happened? :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also having trouble making this feature come up in my game, what have I done wrong?

All I did is download the folder of bgsmod and place it in the graphic folder. Is this where it supposed to be ?

Sorry, I didn't understand the rest of the instruction! which file do I have to open in notepad and delete the lines???

I'm using default skin. (although I would like to know the name of the skin I quote earlier so I can use it!)

• 1 year later...
  • SI Staff

Dear Radestock;

First I'd like to thank you for this great job and also for the Skinner panel's selector.

Second; I wanted to advertise you that I'm creating a kind of "skinning for dummies" tutorial on a french FM manager forum (here is the address http://www.footmanager.net/forum/post964885.html#p964885) and that I'm going to teach there how to use and introduce your mods when you'd like to create your own skin.

I'm doing this, because for lots of french, tutorials in english are not helpful...

I'd like to know what I should do to get your agreement please. Should I just ask and talk about you, or should I do something else?

Feel free to contact me.

Waiting for an answer,

AlienIR

• SI Staff

Hello

Hello, first,thanks a lot..

I tried to installed your background selector mod. I did everything explained in the tip above..but unfortunatly the mods' button doesn't appear.

I get the folders from someone else's skin, which "included" your mod. Might it be the cause of my trouble?

Please could you describe what we should find in the 2 folders? Should it be something like "button" in the graphic folder?

Thanks for everything..Your video are really helpful, I'm going to link them in my tutorial, if, of course, I get your agreement.

Archived