Sports Interactive Community
Loversleaper

Tactical Central & Insight_FM11...

Im loving these tactics more and more.

Just travelled to top of the table Inter with my third placed Napoli.

Decided to go for 4-1-3-2 Flores (10)

Secured a 2-2 draw with both their goals long range scorchers that were hard to prevent.

Lavezzi scored this delicious lob while surrounded by three defenders.

[video=youtube;37x2y4XE8_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37x2y4XE8_A

in my game too lavezzi score some delicious lob . :D

I did remove the tactics from FM10, I always clean up folders and such when the new game is released. I think that you can easily use the tactics from FM11, the only thing that might differ a little is the Closing Down & Defensive Line settings which might have to be slightly adjusted. You can try them as they are to start with, but if you run into any problems due to these two mentioned settings (the other settings still follow the same strategy theory) then I think that I actually can remember them and I can explain the simple tweaks you need to make. I am banking on, though, that the settings should be able to function just fine.

Loversleaper,

I am only interested in all the 4-1-2-2-1 tactics from FM10 that I can use in conjunction with the 4-2-3-1. I need those as I have a huge hole in my team when playing against an AMC. So that would be the 6 tactics listed there on this link: http://community.sigames.com/showthr...al-amp-Insight

Thank you in advance.

As I think a lot of you already know, it looks as if we are getting a new patch relatively soon. There is no word on the date as of yet but indications are that it will be very soon, this shouldn't totally change everything so we have to start from scratch because the overall ideology behind the Strategies will not change. It might result in a few minor changes to the Closing Down/Defensive Line settings as I have looked at the some of the Change-List topics, the rest should actually be more in tune - meaning that the settings should actually work better.

I have started a Worcester game but it looks due to this Patch that I may have to start from the beginning. I am not complaining becuase it might give me an opportunity to do somethings a little better, becuase I wish that I had read HeathXXX's post in regards to players that one can aquire at this level. I used only what my scout found and what was on the Player List so my options, of course, were limited. But talking about the Worcester game there is an issue that I really wanted to talk about and that is squad disciplin:

At one point I had to give one of my players a fine for poor performance and I had a Player Revolution on my hands. As anyone who has tried this will know that this really effects the moral of the squad, but you can use this in a positve way. Here you will need to battle your players and try to show them who is the Boss, you need to stand firm and it might result in you needing to get rid of some of your players (even if they are the stars on the team). You need to gain control over the club and have disciplin so that this will result in less instances in the future. You may wonder why you need this disciplin, I think it is essential so that your players keep a good moral and will obey tactical instructions in the long run. I suffered a little with results but I think it is a challenge and offers a new aspect in Management. I am, of course, going through a little crisis but nothing that is too hard to deal with. I am slowly pulling through and hopefully I will put up some more screenshots later on at one point. To deal with this you may have to leave out stronger players (the unhappy ones) and try to get through without too much damage, the unbalance that has been caused will have an impact on results but I think it is necessary to stamp your authority on the Club you are managing.

The good thing is that there are plenty of players as long as you do your homework, so far I am still battling it out with another team but it wouldn't have been the case if I didn't experience this Player Revolt. Luckily I managed to cool things down because actually a lot of the players did side with me again after the Player Interaction. The sad thing is that I have to get rid of a really good striker (on top of the one I lost to a 10 month injury) and the Club captain plus the Player/Assistant Manager. The new players I have to play instead are of course not as good as the mentioned ones, but still I am confident that I will get promoted nonetheless.

I thought it would be a good topic to deal with, because I can't imagine that I would be the only gamer who goes through these type of issues. Don't back down to players, if you do you may find yourself in a very bad situation where there is a lack of discipline and players won't respect your tactics, getting annoyed with being substituted and will always look to lead a revolution against you when possible. The more professional players will get worried with the lack of discipline and this is an indication that your Manger Style won't be successful in the long run. You need to get a professional atmostphere in the club and you may have to take drastic messures to achieve this - especially if you (as I have done this time around) started out as a Sunday League Footballer...

Shooter6065: I will try to put up a link later tonight with the FM10 tactics you requested - the 4-1-2-2-1 & 4-2-3-1 - if I can make it. I am doing a little work and honestly don't know when I will be finished - thanks for your patience :thup:...

Is FM11 really playbable at this point? I have a copy of it and the patch downloaded but I have not played due to all the complaining about various issues that seem to have taken the fun out of the game for a lot of people........Should I just stick to FM10 until all this gets sorted out?

Is it the same setup as last season with the opposition instructions and things like what tactic to chose in which scenario depending on how good you are like the relegation battler/tactician/master class?

Is FM11 really playbable at this point? I have a copy of it and the patch downloaded but I have not played due to all the complaining about various issues that seem to have taken the fun out of the game for a lot of people........Should I just stick to FM10 until all this gets sorted out?

I wouldn't exactly say that the game is unplayable, but there are some weird aspects like how the whole transfer reality is working at the moment. Moral and Interactions are also an issue, as it seems to create too much of a contrast in regards to how players & the ME are reacting to these influences. Generally though, I think that FM11 is actually a lot better in all other areas than it's previous versions...

Is it the same setup as last season with the opposition instructions and things like what tactic to chose in which scenario depending on how good you are like the relegation battler/tactician/master class?

I think that the SI ideology behind the Strategies are going to be a constant part of the game, so you do need to know what type of settings your Team can handle in conjunction with the opposition you are facing in your next match. The whole thing behind the sliders is that they create values, I just chose to explain this aspect with the Master-Class/Tactician/Relegation Battler to try to create a visual viewpoint on the matter...

I wouldn't exactly say that the game is unplayable, but there are some weird aspects like how the whole transfer reality is working at the moment. Moral and Interactions are also an issue, as it seems to create too much of a contrast in regards to how players & the ME are reacting to these influences. Generally though, I think that FM11 is actually a lot better in all other areas than it's previous versions...

Could you set up that link for those FM10 tactics? I gave FM11 a go and it crashed once which tells me it will happen over and over until they fix it.....if they do. I think I will just stick to FM10 for the next month or two or until things get fixed.

Could you set up that link for those FM10 tactics? I gave FM11 a go and it crashed once which tells me it will happen over and over until they fix it.....if they do. I think I will just stick to FM10 for the next month or two or until things get fixed.

Ok, here are the tactics from FM10. I ran quickly through them and they are the tactics I uploaded for the Community, the only thing you have to be aware of is that the tactics that I personally used looked more like the ones posted in this thread (for FM11). So, if you have time you should look at some of the following settings that you might want to tweak into the tactics:

#1: Closing Down and Defensive Line settings

#2: Closing Down settings for the Central Defenders

#3: Set pieces for players

In FM10, you mostly had to use Counter Attack option in a lot of the tactics but in FM11 the setting is causing lots of problems. It has something to do with how the Closing Down setting actually works on the ME, although the same settings work for both versions they were still built up differently - thus maybe giving some slight differences. You can try them out as they are, but would definalty look at the set pieces and try to make them more like FM11 tactics. I would recomend that you should raise the Defensive Line in the Arsene_(18) to 16 (from 13) and raise the Central Defenders Closing Down to 14 (from 12). You mentioned that you can load FM11 but it crashes at some point, take a look at the tactics and see what you might change to make them better.

Just to go back to the crashing you are experiencing with FM11 you can try the following: untick the 'enable data collection' option in preferences, maybe clear the cached files and take a look at updating/downloading drivers. If you have done these things and it still crashes then I don't know what to do, if you haven't I think you might have a shot...

Link to FM10 tactics: http://www.mediafire.com/file/i5boqqejxd1derz/TacticsFM10TotalPack.rar

Enjoy...

Hi,

There's a few things you can do to combat crashes if your machine is above the minimum;

- Update DirectX.

- Update Java.

- Update Graphics and Soundcard drivers.

- Go to preferences and turn off "enable data collection.

Let us know how you get on after giving that a go. Loads of useful info on how to do this kind of stuff in here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/233554-Football-Manager-2011-FAQ

Cheers

Matt

I just wanted to add this in regards to the crash issue....

Ok, here are the tactics from FM10. I ran quickly through them and they are the tactics I uploaded for the Community, the only thing you have to be aware of is that the tactics that I personally used looked more like the ones posted in this thread (for FM11). So, if you have time you should look at some of the following settings that you might want to tweak into the tactics:

#1: Closing Down and Defensive Line settings

#2: Closing Down settings for the Central Defenders

#3: Set pieces for players

In FM10, you mostly had to use Counter Attack option in a lot of the tactics but in FM11 the setting is causing lots of problems. It has something to do with how the Closing Down setting actually works on the ME, although the same settings work for both versions they were still built up differently - thus maybe giving some slight differences. You can try them out as they are, but would definalty look at the set pieces and try to make them more like FM11 tactics. I would recomend that you should raise the Defensive Line in the Arsene_(18) to 16 (from 13) and raise the Central Defenders Closing Down to 14 (from 12). You mentioned that you can load FM11 but it crashes at some point, take a look at the tactics and see what you might change to make them better.

Just to go back to the crashing you are experiencing with FM11 you can try the following: untick the 'enable data collection' option in preferences, maybe clear the cached files and take a look at updating/downloading drivers. If you have done these things and it still crashes then I don't know what to do, if you haven't I think you might have a shot...

Link to FM10 tactics: http://www.mediafire.com/file/i5boqqejxd1derz/TacticsFM10TotalPack.rar

Enjoy...

Thanks for linking that and thank you again for coming up with these tactics as it has the whole tactical framework has made the FM experience more enjoyable and realistic.

I know that I haven't done so much work lately in the thread, especially around the Startegy area for the Master-Class/Tactician/Relegation Battler. I have an idea how it could work but have to be reserved a little right now as I think some things are going to change slightly. I didn't want to write these tactical assumptions as they won't be 'up to date'. Right now the situation is that I feel the ME is not so keen on defensive tactics in general, and you can easily get away playing much higher on the Mentality scale than what I would say is normal, especially away from home. In away matches where you are underdog I have noticed that generally you get good Match Stats when choosing more defensive tactics, but it seems that you can do better (resultwise) playing a little higher Mentality Strategy even though you get abysmal Tackling % because your team is 'overcommiting' in pressure/tackles. Normally you could get punished attempting this, plus there are a few other issues in some of the other Strategy areas as well. I think what we are going to see (hopefully) soon is that the Strategies will work better thus making it easier to explain, I could write how I think it will work (and has actually worked previously) but I think it would be more beneficial that I wait to see if the SI get it more correct in the next patch.

Remember last year the first verison of FM 10 (pre-patch)? It wasn't working very well at all. It got a lot better after the adjustments, but the SI still couldn't get rid of the tactics that could exploit the ME. They may have taken a huge step (seeing as there isn't a real supertactic built as of yet) this time around but it's too early to say if it lasts or what effects the settings will/can cause in the long run. SI generally get it right at one point and make the game enjoyable, as long as one understands how to use Strategies - then it shouldn't be much of a problem to work around most of these type of things as you start to understand what you can change. It usually doesn't take that long to adjust ones Strategy outlook so it becomes more consistant in getting better than worse results. That's why I don't think one should get discouraged too much and I'm glad to see the positive feedback so far, good to see Gamers like Grokaer back in the action as he and some of the others are getting very good at the game. It's not the tactics that are great - it's how and when you use them that is the trick, being a little thoughtful on the match you are about to play and aspects surrounding it can allow you to get the most out of your tactical strategies. When you have understood this part then you are very close to making your own tactics/strategies as you know what type of settings work best and, importantly, when. We have to crawl before we walk and that is where I feel I am at this moment in time. Thanks for your patience & happy gaming to all...

LL you can take as much time as you want ... you are one of the major contributors to this forum and i personally appreciate your work and following it since FM09 ... i like the way you play the game and interpret it ... every FM incarnation i just wait for your thread coz the way you explain things is marvelous and the variation of tactics makes my gaming experience more real life than arcade .. you don't need to apologize .. you are doing your best and we are really appreciating it and long it may continue because your threads now are an added value to SI Community. Thanks alot and keep up the good work. :)

I finished the Worcester City game. I found some interesting things that I wanted to share in regards to strategies plus another few things. I had trouble around the discipline in the squad but later on in the season my strict approach really paid off. Now most of the player interaction I have with the players are more highly regarded in my favor so the players accept more if I have to caution or fine them. My squad discipline stat is now at 55% and hope to improve this along the way, I am going to have some more clashes but I will stick to the approach - even if it means having to get rid of a star player, but let's hope it won't have to come to this. Since I have chosen 'Sunday Footballer' reputation I am sure that I will encounter these type of scenarios more often then if I were a 'International Footballer' reputation.

Final League table: http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/459/bluesquarebetnorthinforo.png

I managed to win it, but it was an exciting race all the way to the end. I mentioned earlier that my star striker got a season long injury after 12 games and my other star striker and I just don't get along, he has been unhappy all season. This explains why that I didn't score more, but as you can see my defensive unit did pretty good. I have the youngest team in the league and it's nice to see the 'shows you can win with kids' statements in the media.

Yellow Cards: http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4089/bluesquarebetnorthstats0.png

Red Cards: http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1403/bluesquarebetnorthstats.png

Funny thing though, in all my tactics I use the simple 'normal' tackling for all players yet I had the worst record in the league. Apparently you really don't want to Hard Tackle down in the lower leagues! It might also have to do with the more high pressure ideology I use in my tactics ;)...

Number of saved games: http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1892/gametothetopstatus.png

I just included this aspect to show that I didn't cheat, one of the saves was, of course, on the first day of the game. I can't play 12-15 hours at a time because it simply is not possible at my age :p...

I must admit it actually is a lot of fun in the Lower Leagues, there is not so much difference in quality so tactics/strategies can really mean a lot and that is what I want to discuss now:

FIrst half of the season I pretty much kept the strategies along the lines of what I described in the opening post of this thread. But around half way through I started playing a little differently as I looked more at the league table to see where my opponent was positioned before I made my Strategy assumption. Away to the bottom half teams I would use mostly the 4-4-2_Athletico_(11) which is a STANDARD Strategy and switch up to 4-4-2_Ranieri_(13) -(CONTROL)- if I need to go more attacking and for more defensive later on in games I would switch down to 4-4-2_Aguirre_(6) -(DEFENSIVE)-. Away to the top half teams I would mostly start with 4-4-2_McLeish_(7) -(COUNTER)- and switch up to Athletico to go more attacking or switch down to Aguirre.

At home I would mostly use 4-4-2_Hiddink_(15) -(ATTACKING)-, but I did experiment with 4-1-2-2-1_Mourinho_(15) and 4-4-2_Redknapp_(15) every so often. Rarely did I change from my starting strategy in home games, only those few instances where I went down to 10 men due to a red card then I would change to the 4-4-2_Athletico_(11) -(STANDARD)- and play only with one striker. I actually beat AFC Telford to claim the first spot with 10 men and scored after the red card. Away and down to 10 men was usually 4-4-2_Aguirre_(6) -(DEFENSIVE)-. I really recommend that you pay attention to pre-match meeting reports on what type of settings/formations that the opposition struggle against, look at their formation and glance at the weather report. All of these things will help in making the best assumption of what tactic is best suited after you, of course, have made sure you know what type of Strategy you will be using. It doesn't hurt too much to change formations but just don't do it too often, make sure you do it where it really serves a purpose.

All in all, I am satisfied with the outcome. I have some work to do before next season: I need a new Assistant Manager, new scouts and looking to upgrade other staff as well. I must get rid of some players and find some new talent that can help me achieve promotion again next season. Things could have gone better this season if I had used some of the advice on players and maybe staff described in HeathXXX’s post on lower leagues, if I had avoided the player revolution that threw things off balance where several key players became unhappy & want to leave (amongst those also my team captain) plus the amount of suspensions I faced and lastly, maybe done a little better in some of the tactical assumptions along the way. So, several things to ponder on for the next season…

P.S. If there are any other screenshots anyone would like to see: fixtures, league stats, corners, free kicks, ect...-, or want to talk about certain games/scenarios, then please feel free to ask...

Hey LL

I haven't used these tactics yet but I read and adopted your post about starting strategies a while back and I think that has contributed to a lot of my success. So thank you for that.

So in this thread there are TONS of tactics. I have a question. Lets say I decided I was only going to play one formation, lets say 4-4-2, and I downloaded all your 4-4-2 tactics. Because I was already using your starting strategies (usually attacking for home, standard/counter away etc depending on the opposition) I totally understand the idea behind having different numbers after each one to show how attack-minded each one is.

Anyway, here's the question: Would it negatively affect your team if you used a bunch of different 4-4-2 ones? Or would the team be used to them all pretty quickly because they're the same shape? Just wondering if it would be ok for someone to keep swapping and changing between 4-4-2 tactics or if it would be better to just stick to 3 or 4 different ones depending on the situation.

Also, be nice to get some more feedback on how successful your tactics are. I'm using a good downloaded 4-1-3-2 right now because I'm too stupid/busy to make a successful tactic myself. I'm also not very familiar with classic tactics.

LL,

What are your views on changing formations? For example in FM10, I typically use a 4-2-3-1 but have you noticed whether it helps to change to a 4-4-2 if the Pre-Match Report says the team you are going to face "struggles against a 4-4-2" or plays strongest against a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1? Is it worth changing based on these circumstances do you think?

I've been bouncing around in save games. I had a newcastle save going until Monday when Hughton got sacked. Out of frustration, I deleted it after a season and a half. I was using the 442 set and having middling success. Anyways, I decided to start again with Newcastle this time using the 4231 set. When Artem Milevskyi was offered i was able to pick him up. Also was able to pry Franck Tabanou away from Toulouse for a ridiculously low price. So with Tabanou and Jonas on the wings and Ben Arfa in the hole behind Milevskyi, I have some serious pace on the break. In the 4th game of the season, I played Blackburn at home. I was a slight favorite by odds but deemed us to a little less than that because of the ungelled status of my attacking players. I chose to play the 15 Mourinho. Blackburn scored on a header off a free kick just before half and we trailed 0-1. Newcastle only had the ball 46% of the time in the 1st half but fashioned some decent chances but couldn't finish. The 2nd half was roughly the same. We tried a lot of direct passes that weren't quite connecting, pretty indicative of an ungelled squad, IMO. But around the 76th, just as i was contemplating an all out attack, Jonas got out on the break from the right wing, cut towards the box, bent the lagging defense and then laid off a nice low centering pass to the steaming Ben Arfa who poked it into the back of the net. Four minutes later, Tabanou got out on a break away and found an unmarked Milevskyi who walked the cross into the back of the net. Talk about lethal touch. My pace combined with the tired Blackburn legs devastated the Blackburn defense for two easy goals. I switched to the McLeish7 and easily closed out the game.

bbuullddoogg: How successful the tactics are & will be up to the Manager who is using them, choosing the right Strategies for you next match will and should give you better than worse results in the long run. I know that it seems as though there are tons of tactics, but I did this in order to cover all the aspects that comes with being a Manager. You see teams have different levels of quality, some are battling relegation, some are trying for a top half finish and some will be trying to win the league. So, in short, it is not a good idea to play the same way if you are trying to avoid relegation than trying to win the league. The top team will, of course, be able to handle more extreme instructions (sliders) than the bottom team as they have the quality to do so. For example, if you take a look at Post#63 in this thread I talked about how I am playing in the lower leagues:

4-4-2_Hiddink (attacking)

4-4-2_Athletico (standard)

4-4-2_McLeish (counter)

4-4-2_Aquirre (defensive)

These are the main tactics I am using (starting strategies), but will change sometimes to some of the other tactics: 4-4-2_Ranieri (control) to get back into games away from home or 4-4-2_Rednapp (attacking with high pressure Closing down) at home if I feel that the Hiddink isn't enough. For the fun of it, I did experiement with the 4-1-2-2-1_Mourinho (attacking) at home and 4-1-4-1_Tapia (counter) away if I needed an 'anchor man' due to opposition formations. But it is not always that necessary to switch that much around, but this becomes easier (and adds other tactical elements) after you start to see how Strategies work in the long run. It's not that difficult or time-consumming to change Strategies/tactics with the drop down menus.

In regards to how to deal with the Match Preparation issue (teams adapting to strategies) I would like to point you to a thread in the General Discussion Forum called Match Preparation Question where we are discussing how to get around this ridiculous and limited feature that has been forced upon the FM Gamming Community...

Shooter6065: I think it is good to change formations, but don't think you need to do it too often. I think that you should look at the opposition formation to see why they might struggle or be strong against certain formations. I usually only change around where the opposition is using AMC's, DMC's or Pushed up wingers - but again, I think that this is one of the parts of being a Manager and the hardships that you will face throughout your career of chosing the right tactics for the game :)...

Melogroovy: You have to take into consideration that the Game itself has some difficulties in the ME regarding settings/instructions and how it copes with them. I am banking on that the strategies will become more sound after the upcomming patch, because right now the reality is that we can get away with playing slightly higher on the Strategy ladder than what we previously could - especially away from home.

In response to your other point on the tactics is that: Mourinho's tactics are more of the 'lethal touch' type of strategy. If you noticed how he used to play at Chelsea and Porto was that rarely did he really dominate the match stats. Sometimes his team had under 40% possession - but this didn't stop him comming away with the result. Usually most of the more Direct Passing tactics will rarely win you the possession, but having said that this is how things will appear at the earlier stages of the game where you have to go through a long 'gelling' process. There are other tactics that give you more possession, but playing in England won't always allow you to play these tactics as the weather in northern Europe is not funny at all (especially right now)...

While we wait for the next patch, it's not a bad idea to play in the Lower Leagues - it's fairly easy to over-achieve and you can learn a lot about how strategies work. After promotion to the Blue Square Premier with Worcester City, I was predicted to end bottom (Media Prediction 24th in the league). With limited resources but with a little bit of work in the upgrading of the club this is how 2nd season turned out:

Final League Table Screen Shot: http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8264/bluesquarebetpremierinfl.png

I was second place of most of the season but I had a slight bad spell where there were several players in bad moral (I also switched keepers in the winter break). Match odds changed also drastically in this periode where I found myself 'up against it' in every match even though I was confortable in 2nd place. I had to adapt as results where getting hard, so I had to play more like a Relegation Battler which meant I was playing STANDARD Strategies at home (4-4-2_Athletico) and DEFENSIVE Strategies away (4-4-2_Aguirre). As soon as my form picked up again then it was back to ATTACKING Strategies (4-4-2_Hiddink) at home and COUNTER Strategies away (4-4-2_McLeish) with the option of switching up to STANDARD or down to DEFENSIVE depending on how the game was panning out.

The Play-Off Final was no coincidence that I won it. I was in good form after a slump in form so I think the team 'topped' at the right moment. This game was against the team that ended in 2nd place (1 point in front of me) and I literly blew them away even though Kettering were clear favorites, possession dropped for me in the end due to me closing out the game...

Worcester vrs Kettering match stats screen shot: http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7151/worcestervketteringstat.png

For those that would like to see how I played the game:

PKM Play-Off Final: http://www.mediafire.com/file/87ie1l3qq6tlrdu/Worcester%20v%20Kettering.pkm

Here are some other screen shots of some of the stats through the season:

Corners: http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9439/bluesquarebetpremiersta.png

IFK: http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9439/bluesquarebetpremiersta.png

DFK: http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9439/bluesquarebetpremiersta.png

Yellow cards: http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9439/bluesquarebetpremiersta.png

Red cards: http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/9439/bluesquarebetpremiersta.png

As you can see I faired pretty average in all areas because we were concentrating on doing the talking on the pitch :). Even at this level it brings a lot of (learning) aspects as games like the Play-Off final has the same ideology as playing in the Champions League Final...

P.S. Sorry for mixing up the PKM for the Kettering play-off final with another PKM, I fixed that now

I was asked how successful these tactics/strategies are, so I decided to post these stats (screen shots) so that people can have a look and decide for themselves. A few things you have to take into consideration: I have a sunday league reputation (+ foreign nationality) combined with a Squad average age of just 20. My club was tipped for 24th spot (media prediction) and endured being huge underdogs in basically every match. I could have done better but wage budgets and limited interrest from players really gave me a hard challenge.

Final League Table: http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7663/npowerleague2informatio.png

Home & Away Stats: http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7663/npowerleague2informatio.png

Corners: http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2738/npowerleague2statsteams.png

IFK: http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2738/npowerleague2statsteams.png

DFK: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2738/npowerleague2statsteams.png

Yellow Cards: http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2738/npowerleague2statsteams.png

Red Cards: http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4514/npowerleague2statsteamsu.png

I know that a lot of people wonder if this is the real deal and thats why I have decided to put this game up for download. I have used only 13 saves in 3 seasons - which is not bad considering the time that I have during the day (I managed to play a little more this past weekend). The way I play the game is that one save will always be where I do the whole preseason where things like players and other upgrading elements take place. I think it is good to really go into all aspects as then you know your club inside and out, also making sure you get as much out of your potential in terms of training and upgrading player/coach quality as much as possible. I can use anywhere between 3-5 hours in this phase of the game.

Screen shot of ammount of saves: http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1778/gametothetopstatus2.png

For anyone doubting or just plain interrested in how I play the game and the matches in it, the download link for my game is just below:

"To The Top" game for download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zh3pehswgwghkah/To%20The%20Top.fm

Note: the three tactics in game are not for use as they are just some tactics that I made to get the most out of the Match Preparation...

If you decide to explore the world of tactical gameplay the way I play it, then feel free to ask any questions regarding games - you can easily do so - the good tactical choices and even the bad choices I did make from time to time. You have three season full of games to look at and how I played them, I did really well against some of the much stronger opposition - and having a defense/gk with just an average age of 20 had it's difficulties. It's not impossible to have success at this game you just have to pay attention to what tactics/strategies work best and knowing your opponent can really make the difference - especially if you are not the dominant force in the league where you 'set the tone' in most matches. I just want to say to the people who do galnce into this thread that I am not leading anyone on regarding the issue of this being a solid type of gameplay or not. I am happy that I managed to do better than worse, especially when looking at some of the teams that I finished above in the league. For me, I have done relatively good considering all the hardships that I have faced, I didn't use any cheats/exploits or any other form of aid in the progress as I simply used the things that were available to me through scouts and thorough preseason preparation - and it paid off in the end...

Great to see these tactics back in fm11. I just started a game with Larisa (Greek team), but they seem succesful tactics again. From my own experience, I would advice people to view the matches in "extended". Check how attacking the opponent is playing, the more they close down, play wide and high tempo, and the less they waste time, the more attacking they play. You can compare this with your own team. You can adjust in matches when your initial tactic was incorrect, or when you are leading and the opponent starts to play back (or when behind and they defend more). I think it is also possible to use strategies in other formations, for example I have used the Mourinho(15) in 442 and the team did very well.

As you all know the new patch (11.2.1) has come out, and as I mentioned somewhere above, there are some small changes that need to be made. One of the topics on the changelist was that there is a small adjustment regarding Defensive Line, so this naturally will cause a slight change in the settings within the tactics. I haven't had too much time as I am travelling with the family for the Holidays, but did manage to take a look at some things. We are going more into the 'Wizard Era' and this naturally brings some new aspects on how the mechanics/settings function in the ME. Most of the tactics still work relatively good, but think that the COUNTER & DEFENSIVE might appear too attacking and 'over-commiting' - which may cause some defensive problems. Also I have been toying with the idea that the tactics that have a Defensive Midfielder (positioned between the defense and midfield line) might have to simply remove the Mixed Run From Deep setting so that he does it rarely (the only tweak).

But still, I would have liked to have them finished before Christmas, but realistically I don't think it is going to be possible - I don't want to be in the situation where I haven't done enough testing so that I have to come out with a V2 or V3 version before I get it right. If you take into consideration what I said above then I think the tweaks would be fairly simple:

Closing Down & Defensive Line settings are (13) and (8) in all the defensive/counter tactics (CB's are set at 6), you might want to try out CD (10-12) and DL (5-7) - CBs CD (3-5). I am not convinced that the settings at the moment are totally wrong, but if you do feel your team is closing down too much which causes you problems then I would look into doing the above. All other settings will definatley not need adjusting...

Maybe when I get around to it I might take these tactics into the Wizard, but still I am a little undecided on the issue. Time will tell...

I remember you did the tactical Central & Insight '09, where you also made a set called "the Capello"

I have this tactic lined up (plus a few others) that I will include it in the AlternativePack once I get around to it - but as long as the Tactics Screen ingame doesn't work properly I am going to have to wait untill SI decides to fix it, let's hope it will happen before the March Patch...

What a mess SI made of the tactics screen is really beyond me, settings that stick and unstick with certain actions and **** like that is making me enjoy this game alot less than usual ...

I just finished a season with Roda JC in Holland. Prediction was 10th, but with these tactics I finished 4th, only 6 points from the champion. To make it a bit harder for myself, I did not use a good corner/free kick tactic, just sent a bunch of people forward. I scored no goals from corner and only 2 from indirect free kicks.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

I am pretty pleased that the patch hasn't changed that much regarding tactics as I have managed to play a little and checked things out myself. There will be a slight change in the tactics that use Mentality (6), but that's basically it. Now, if the tactic screen bug doesn't make my life a living hell - I will try to make the small adjustments plus include some nice alternative tactics soon...

Very much looking forward to it Loversleaper!

Lovesleeper i love your tactical sets as always. I am having more trouble then usually understanding your no winger set this year. Anyway you could do a quick selection process for using that set or any of ur sets for Master-Class? I know last year you had a really good write-up for specific type of managers. Thank You!

Can you explain something to me please... how come I now have arrows on the CB's on the Mourinho tactic (no wingers)? I thought SI had done away with them. Also the layout of the tactic screen has lost some options etc. On what version of the game did you create the tactics? Thanks

I know that the thread is not complete, but there are several things working against it. The game is not complete and have a feeling (or hope) that when the new patch comes there will/should be some changes. I have a real hard time really getting into the game as I feel that the game is, if anything, way too easy. The 'Strategy Theory' discussed (to some extent) in the thread is still relevent and choosing the correct strategy/changes during games should get you better than worse results in the long run.

Here below I will show some screenshots of my latest game where I am Managing Watford in the English Championship. I am currently 1st place and have just had a fantastic League Cup run.

Along the way I took out several Premier League teams, so here you can see my final LC run:

Stoke struggled against 4-1-3-2, so being a slight underdog I made the below choice

Watford - Stoke Formations: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1832/watfordvstokeinformatio.png

Watford - Stoke Match Stats: http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3801/watfordvstokestatsmatch.png

Against Birmingham I may have been a tad lucky, but during the game watching Extended Highlights I actually had quite a lot of the game. So, the defensive settings will be included in the tactical sets (later today) when I have time to upload them

Birmingham - Watford Formations: http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7802/birminghamvwatfordinfor.png

Birmingham - Watford Match Stats: http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4236/birminghamvwatfordstats.png

In this game against West Ham I was on a real good result run, my squad were all superb and we were in the quater final. West Ham struggled against 4-5-1, and seeing as they implement the AMC position I made a good tactical choice and it paid off, it was the quarter final so I played my chance

Watford - West Ham Formations: http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9180/watfordvwesthaminformat.png

Watford - West Ham Match Stats: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8151/watfordvwesthamstatsmat.png

Unluck strikes as we have to face Chelsea over two legs in the semi final. Funny enough Chelsea were struggling against 4-4-2 formations and on top of this I am aware that Chelsea will have two pushed up winger/forwards in a 4-5-1 formation, so my choice was simple

Watford - Chelsea Formations: http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8234/watfordvchelseainformat.png

Watford - Chelsea Match Stats: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4300/watfordvchelseastatsmat.png

To my big surprise it was a deserved victory, Chelsea had a lot of their back up players but still had players such as Mikel, Ramires, Sturridge, Boswinga, Ferriera, Kalou, Benyoun to name some. The return leg they played full strength, though...

Chelsea - Watford (2nd leg): http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5186/chelseavwatfordinformat.png

Chelsea - Watford Formations: http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5186/chelseavwatfordinformat.png

Chelsea - Watford Match Stats: http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5213/chelseavwatfordstatsmat.png

I gave Chelsea a real tough game, and they scored in overtime to bring the game into extra time. I knew right then it was over, especially after the red card early in extra time. Until this point I actually was really in the game, but now with a man down, extremely tired players in their 50's (condition) and my DM in left back position we got bombarded, but the Aguirre tactic really held on...

The final was a game against Sunderland, slight underdog and the game was played out in rainy conditions. I wanted to try and use 5 men in midfield to try and control the game and thought that in the final that I should try to go more for the win then just to hold on, so my tactical choice was to counter attack

Watford - Sunderland LCfinal: http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6316/watfordvsunderlandinfor.png

Watford - Sunderland Formations: http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6316/watfordvsunderlandinfor.png

Watford - Sunderland Match Stats: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4788/watfordvsunderlandstats.png

Watford - Sunderland PKM: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bp1cspksh3x03gb/Watford%20v%20Sunderland_LCfinal.pkm

I really controlled that final and actually should have won by the final whistle, after the red card I came under a little pressure but held strong and actually never really looked like loosing. After I went down to 10 men I of course changed tactics, which was to 4-4-2_Aguirre_(6) where the left striker was missing and I 'centered' the right striker. I included a PKM of the final so if anyone wishes they can see how dominant my team actually were.

After this post I will reorganise my folders and hopefully I will be able to have the updated tactics ready for download. The existing links are not working right now as I am in the process and hopefully I will be able to include the Alternative tactics (Argentina 4-1-2-1-2, France, and some other experimental formations). I am not ready with the 3AtTheBack tactic sets but probably will have them uploaded soon, but I still am really undecided if I should attempt to complete the thread before the final patch comes out...

Can u upload the 4-4-2 pack as the link is not working. I have been a great fan of your work on previous FM's and would like to see if the same good work applies to fm11

Can u upload the 4-4-2 pack as the link is not working. I have been a great fan of your work on previous FM's and would like to see if the same good work applies to fm11

In the post above yours I said why the links are not working atm, due to the latest patch where the Defensive Line was slightly changed there was a need for some slight adjustments. I am working on the uploads right now and hopefully in an hour or so they should be ready. Thanks...

Ok, the links with the adjustments are up and running (4-4-2, NonWinger, 4-1-4-1 & 4-3-3, and 4-4-1-1 & 4-2-3-1 sets), I hope to get the Alternative Tactics up and running later on tonight (still looking into a few things :))...

Ok, the links with the adjustments are up and running (4-4-2, NonWinger, 4-1-4-1 & 4-3-3, and 4-4-1-1 & 4-2-3-1 sets), I hope to get the Alternative Tactics up and running later on tonight (still looking into a few things :))...

P.S. I just wanted to remind people that those who do use multiple tactics and have problems (like me) with the Tactic Screen bug (where instructions are 'passed' on to other tactics) to please rememeber to use the workaround (annoying horse pucky...) and preferably use the Formation Screen when changing (also during matches). You have to delete the other tactics and try to keep the new ones in external folders so that you can easily use the drop down menu system, or you can risk that the set piece and player instructions might not change properly. Delete all 'Current' tactics emmediatly, and a good word of advice in regards to Match Preparation:

You should have the three tactics in three different levels so that you cover as much ground as possible. For example you can make 3 different MP tactics soley for this:

Mentality (6) - (10) - (15)

Passing (5) - (9) - (13)

Creative Freedom (6) - (10) - (15)

Closing Down, Tempo & Width (5) - (10) - (15)

Just decide which formations you want to use during the course of the game, you can easily use 3 different formations and still cover all the other areas of the tactical settings. I strongly recommend this approach...

LL .. I can't see any difference in current uploads and the old ones ... they have the same modification date which is 9/11/2010

LL .. I can't see any difference in current uploads and the old ones ... they have the same modification date which is 9/11/2010

A lot of the tactics I haven't really touched as they still work and think it will also be the case after the next patch. All the defensive tactics have been changed and I think there might be a few mistakes corrected elsewhere, maybe some set peice instructions. I had to remake the tactic sets as the download packs include several tactics so to change one means I need to remake the entire folder, but I have tested them enough to say that the ones I didn't touch should work just fine...

I couldn't stop myself so I just had to include the 4-3-2-1_NonWinger tactic Pack (Christmas tree formation), which is placed in post#4 in this thread. Also in this mentioned post I have added the Alternative Pack which includes some new tactics/formations so Users have different choices (to 'taylor' tactical ideologies more to suit their preferences). Lot's of fun stuff to look at: Juventus, France, Argentina and a tribute to SirMattBusby to name a few :thup:...

Enjoy

P.S. I just wanted to remind people that those who do use multiple tactics and have problems (like me) with the Tactic Screen bug (where instructions are 'passed' on to other tactics) to please rememeber to use the workaround (annoying horse pucky...) and preferably use the Formation Screen when changing (also during matches). You have to delete the other tactics and try to keep the new ones in external folders so that you can easily use the drop down menu system, or you can risk that the set piece and player instructions might not change properly. Delete all 'Current' tactics emmediatly, and a good word of advice in regards to Match Preparation:

You should have the three tactics in three different levels so that you cover as much ground as possible. For example you can make 3 different MP tactics soley for this:

Mentality (6) - (10) - (15)

Passing (5) - (9) - (13)

Creative Freedom (6) - (10) - (15)

Closing Down, Tempo & Width (5) - (10) - (15)

Just decide which formations you want to use during the course of the game, you can easily use 3 different formations and still cover all the other areas of the tactical settings. I strongly recommend this approach...

Would you be good enough to explain the workaround in more detail - I want to make sure that I transpose the tactics properly. Also do not quite understand your approach to match preperation, i thought it best to place three tactics depending on chances ie if away,wet and underdog then I would place aguirre (6), athletico (11) and Raneri (13) in the mp screen and different 3 tactics if circumstances are different. is that not right? My results seem to be v good so hopefully all is well. A bit more detail on these 2 topics would be much appreciated.

Thank you for all your work and updates - i have been a fan of your approach for a number of years.

Would you be good enough to explain the workaround in more detail - I want to make sure that I transpose the tactics properly. Also do not quite understand your approach to match preperation, i thought it best to place three tactics depending on chances ie if away,wet and underdog then I would place aguirre (6), athletico (11) and Raneri (13) in the mp screen and different 3 tactics if circumstances are different. is that not right? My results seem to be v good so hopefully all is well. A bit more detail on these 2 topics would be much appreciated.

I haven't done so much work in that department, so I am not sure how the whole thing works. I just made the 3 MP tactics to cover as much ground as possible, because the point is you need to be as fluid as possible so that your tactics work optimally. I know it is a basic set-up, but I am just trying to keep things as simple as possible untill I learn more about it. I have some questions as well, so maybe it might be a good topic to discuss while we wait for the next patch.

You say that you change from game to game and base the Match Preparation on 3 tactics you might use during your next match. I would like to know if you do change the tactics in MP from game to game will this effect progress that has been previously gained? I am going to check it out for myself at one point to see the long time effects, because usually by keeping them consistant makes you gain 'fluid' relatively quickly...

Can you explain something to me please... how come I now have arrows on the CB's on the Mourinho tactic (no wingers)? I thought SI had done away with them. Also the layout of the tactic screen has lost some options etc. On what version of the game did you create the tactics? Thanks

You may have fallen victim to the Tactic Screen bug where instructions are 'passed' on from other tactics, otherwise if they are backward arrows then it is correct. You can't seee the arrows when using the Tactic Creator, but they appear once you change to the classic version. If it is the Tactic Screen bug then the best way to get around it is to have the tactics in the tactics folder (documents>sports interactive>FM11>tactics) so that you can use the Archive Tactics option on the tactic's screen. Change tactics using the drop menu when viewing the team formation screen and NOT player or team instructions...

Hi LL. Does your 4-4-2 pack contain a 4-2-4 variation of the 4-4-2 where the MR/L are pushed up to AMR/L?

Thanks

Hi LL. Does your 4-4-2 pack contain a 4-2-4 variation of the 4-4-2 where the MR/L are pushed up to AMR/L?

Thanks

The only 4-2-4 tactic in the set is the England'66_(21) which is an all out attacking mentality tactic. Usually it is for the last 10 minutes of a game where you might as well throw your team forward to grab a goal if you have nothing to loose...

I haven't done so much work in that department, so I am not sure how the whole thing works. I just made the 3 MP tactics to cover as much ground as possible, because the point is you need to be as fluid as possible so that your tactics work optimally. I know it is a basic set-up, but I am just trying to keep things as simple as possible untill I learn more about it. I have some questions as well, so maybe it might be a good topic to discuss while we wait for the next patch.

You say that you change from game to game and base the Match Preparation on 3 tactics you might use during your next match. I would like to know if you do change the tactics in MP from game to game will this effect progress that has been previously gained? I am going to check it out for myself at one point to see the long time effects, because usually by keeping them consistant makes you gain 'fluid' relatively quickly...

It seems to me that when you put the 3 tactics that you may use in a game in the mp screen then when you return to them after a change they seem to hold the gain that you had made previously. All of my various tactics seem to do well with the blue bars now! Fingers crossed this is how the thing is supposed to work. my match results seem to be pretty good anyway.

In terms of the work around I have imported all you various tactics and only access them from the drop down menu when in the formation screen and delete the current tactics as and when they appear. Is that right?

It seems to me that when you put the 3 tactics that you may use in a game in the mp screen then when you return to them after a change they seem to hold the gain that you had made previously. All of my various tactics seem to do well with the blue bars now! Fingers crossed this is how the thing is supposed to work. my match results seem to be pretty good anyway.

In terms of the work around I have imported all you various tactics and only access them from the drop down menu when in the formation screen and delete the current tactics as and when they appear. Is that right?

I did a little check myself and it does look like you do keep progress when you change back later on down the line, which is sort of a relief. Regarding the work around: that is exactly how I do it, at least. I hope to stand corrected at some point, because it's a tad annoying to say the least...