Very basic question

Hi,

I'm new to the game and haven't been able to locate any tutorials. I scanned around the help and couldn't find an answer either.

I want to set my starting lineup. How do I do that? And does my youth team have a starting lineup also that I need to set? And can a player on my youth team play on my main team? And if I have a youth academy and good youth training how do I A) recruit players to my youth squad and B) manage the youth academy?

Also if I have players on loan to other teams do I have to wait for the loan period to expire to get them back? And I'm not exactly sure to tell how long the loan will last.

Probably 90% of players know these answers but they are stumping me as a new guy.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

There isn't a tutorial per se but there are loads of helpful threads in the various forums. If you press F1 ingame you can get help on particular elements of the game.

To set your lineup, leftclick the box just to the right of your players name and select from the positions there, alternatively rightclick to select players in order. You can set the youthteam lineup, but most people dont and I wouldnt recommend it for a newcomer. The assistant will take care of it.

The youth team operates alongside the first team, not separately. You can move players back and forth freely, select from the 'squad' button in the top right of their profile. If you sign a player young enough, just stick him into the youth team or reserves unless hes ready for the first team. Not sure what you mean with B, you dont really manage it, but you get a fresh batch of 7-8 players every year from your academy, if you have one.

You can set a 'can be recalled' clause in a loan deal, but most preset loan deals dont have them, and it is very rare with loans involving future fees. You can tell how long the loan is, and how much of the players wages each club is paying, in the 'Contract' section of the player's profile.

Hope that helps, enjoy FM

I wont go through everything davidnio is fairly thorough above me. I just have a few additions:

1) Picking players: as davidnio has said but also you can go to your tactics screen, from the squad menu, and it shows the positions too. Just click the player's name and drag it to the shirt on the field.

2) Youth team: also as above, I would also recommend getting your ass man or best youth coach to take control of the youths. Recruitment is automatic in the game, and can be fairly random. The best thing to do is employ scouts from many nations (if you can) to widen the net, and get the board to upgrade the youth facilities as soon as possible. I'm not sure on the youth recruitment as its a new feature. You can get the ass man to pick his choices here, in the top right is a button called selection, click this and you get three buttons; "ask to pick", "clear selection" and "team selections" 1st is where you get the ass man (or any other coach) to pick his choice. 2nd allows you to quick clear all of the players selected and 3rd allows you to save a particular team selection for later use (especially useful if you like blooding youths in the cups).

3) Loans: all loans at game start are set to do not recall as SI only put in long-term deals, which don't usually have recall options IRL. Also not eif you do put a recall clause in there note that you can noly bring a player back if the transfer window for your league is open.

Also I would recommend looking in the following fora for advice, tactic and training help and guides to different teams in the game:

Tactics and Training.

Good Players & Teams.

And look here if you want to customise the look of the game.

But most importantly of all have fun with the game, and win lots of trophies.

All of that was a big help. Thank you.

I have another question. Once I get my lineups set and am looking at tactics, next to each player position is a little shield with an A, D, S or little circular arrows on it. What does that represent? Also one guy is highlighted in yellow (AMC). Why is this?

I have another question. Once I get my lineups set and am looking at tactics, next to each player position is a little shield with an A, D, S or little circular arrows on it. What does that represent? Also one guy is highlighted in yellow (AMC). Why is this?

a= attack duty

d = defend duty

s = support duty

yellow outline = player selected and you can see his instructions on the left side of the screen (drop down menu)

just click on another player to "make him yellow"

I've played this game since FM06 and i still find it challenging. I suggest you go to the 'Tactics forum' and download tactic from some users. Maybe once you're getting an idea of the game you could start making your own, because there is so much to this game and its hard to get it all at once. and avoid reading negative comments about the game cuz ull end up losing your patience, so just be positive!

I think a-attack, d-defense, s-support

A = Attack

D = Defend

S = Support

The circular arrows indicate they will do a bit of everything. i.e support,attack and defend (when applicable)

The yellow highlight is to tell you, that you have that particular player selected and you are assigning these instructions to him.

wow, some of you guys beat me to it by the time i'd finished writing it. lol.

There is also the very good online manual, if youre finding it hard to find stuff in the ingame help (F1)

http://www.footballmanager.com/manual

Archived