MACD tactic

After reading some excellent football concepts in “creativity & flair” and” how to create space” threads , and after a pause of 3 months from FM, I couldn’t wait to create a new system in FM 11, after 3 years of playing a 442 system.

Ok, this I my first tactic I ever post, so let’s see if I can explain my concepts.

MACD tactic

tacticsu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MACD stands for movement, acceleration, control, dynamism. My idea of successful football is an athletic team, with good acceleration, pace and stamina in every department, combined with technique and flair and a balanced approach, which could cause problems to any team. I want my team to control the matches, and at the same time to be lethal on counterattacks, and exploit any space found in the opponent’s area. I’m not interested in possession, I don’t want a playmaker or a target men, I want the danger to come from everywhere.

I came up with a 4231 and tested with Steaua Bucharest.

As a rule of thumb, every player on the pitch must have acceleration and pace > 15, and decent work rate, teamwork and anticipation.

The inside forwards and attacking midfielder must have also good dribbling, flair, finishing and passing. (Preferably acceleration and pace >16) + free role and move into channels

The striker is set as a poacher: speed and acceleration, plus finishing, composure, anticipation and positioning are required.

CDs and DMs must have good marking, tackling, positioning and anticipation

So, just to repeat this, you must have athletic players, capable of physically dominating the opponent.

I had a good run in Romanian League, an undefeated season, but I have a world class squad compared to the rest of the teams. Basically I’ve dominated the league just by the simple fact my team is very fast, and very hard to be marked, due to the movement of the players.

season2q.jpg

The real test was in Champions league and Europe league. In CL we ranked 3rd, in a very tight group with Bayern, Fiorentina and West ham. In Europe league we managed to reach the final after eliminating teams like Red Star, Fenerbache and Inter in the semi-finals (lost 1-0 away, and won 3-0 at home, all goals scored in the last 10-15min on the counterattack). I lost the final to Lyon, after creating 6 CC and conceding a 30 yarder from a full back.

europaleaguefinal.jpg

OI’s:

RB+LB+CMs(DMs) – man mark, closing down often.

AMs, RMs, LMs, LWs, RWs – closing down often.

Hard tackling for strikers

So, I man mark the opponent’s midfield ( the 2 CMs/DMs, or the DM and 2CM if the AI plays a 451), I also man mark their fullbacks (in order not to allow them any space, and to regain possession), and I close down every player on the pitch except for CDs and strikers.

No in game shouts

Normal pitch

Corners: Far post

Note: I always study my opponent. You must identify the weak players and to try to bring the ball into their areas.

I believe that with the right players, decent match preparation and good team talks, this tactic might work.

LINK:

http://www.filefront.com/17505871/MACD-ADX-Steaua-Aug-2012.tac

Just a quick update, after having a great success in Romanian league, I’ve tested this tactic in a lower league. I went for AS Cannes in French National.

No signings, just the original squad.

cannesresults.jpg

In order to compensate the lack of quality players, I’ve concentrated on match preparation. I used high workload and alternated every week between attacking movement and defensive positioning.

Let me give you an example. EuroSupercup against Manchester United. Solid team, an organized 4-4-2, likes to counterattack, according to my scouts. Their fullbacks are Evra and Cassani. Plus vidic and evans as central defenders. So, I’ve identified Cassani as their weakest player, and Evra the second.

I had Buonanotte on the right side (with superior pace and acceleration than evra), and a Nigerian regen to handle Cassani. Logically, I’ve chosen to attack on the wings, and I’ve put Buonanotte to man mark Evra, the left inside forward to man mark Cassani, and my AMC (fernandinho from shaktar) to man mark Fletcher, their box to box midfielder

So, here is a comparison between my left winger and Manchester’s weak player

weakplayer.jpg

Before the match, the usual OIs: closing down evra and cassani, plus their midfield (RM,LM,CM, CM) and tight marking casssani, evra and their CMs (Fletcher and Carrick)

Final result:

finalresult.jpg

My left winger scored the first goal, Cassani had a tough game, was unable to handle the speed of my player and was sent off. The second goal came after a shot of the same player on the left side, Evans scoring and own goal.

Let’s observe Manchester's average positions:

dragged.jpg

Look at the space between Cassani and Vidic, Cassani being dragged out his position. No surprise that we scored 2 goals from Cassani’s area.

Archived