Pre-determined results

im assuming he is having a whinge cause villa dominated bristol and didnt win. One of many, many threads about the same thing. The results are not predetermined, there are always games where one team dominates and doesnt win, a part of this great game we call football im afraid!

No, don't hide behind that "it's football" claim. They had one shot on target - a 20 yarder - which went in. My team completely dominated them, and they had a man sent off, and we eventually lost on penalties. Losing I don't mind - the start of the season I lost five out of my six opening league games - but losing when players like Agbonalor, Downing and Renato Augusto miss chances in the 6 yard box, which quite frankly may as well have been open nets, I fail to believe.

No, don't hide behind that "it's football" claim. They had one shot on target - a 20 yarder - which went in. My team completely dominated them, and they had a man sent off, and we eventually lost on penalties. Losing I don't mind - the start of the season I lost five out of my six opening league games - but losing when players like Agbonalor, Downing and Renato Augusto miss chances in the 6 yard box, which quite frankly may as well have been open nets, I fail to believe.

rubbish, this happens in football mate, to pick one game out like this and say the game needs fixing is ridiculous. Maybe they should replay the game in real life when this happens?

I thought he meant the knockout round draw, which is actually predetermined once the previous round is over.

Maybe the title of the thread was a little wayward.

It was the semi finals of the FA Cup, the teams left it in were: Aston Villa vs Bristol City and Everton vs Leicester. Leicester beat Everton on penalties, and as soon as I saw that result I knew exactly what would happen in my match: they would score early on; we would then dominate them completely, missing a host of pathetically easy chances in the process, but managing the one goal to take it to extra time; it would then go to penalties and they would progress. It has happened so many times in previous FMs that it has literally become predictable.

this game comes to mind. This is a real game where we (barca) lost 2-0 to hercules:

Barca stats are first and hercules 2nd

Shots (on Goal) 17(9) 9(7)

Corner Kicks 14 2

Time of Possession 77% 23%

took me less than a minute to find it mate, your frustrated i know but to say it needs fixing is off the mark

rubbish, this happens in football mate, to pick one game out like this and say the game needs fixing is ridiculous. Maybe they should replay the game in real life when this happens?

Please find me a game where a Championship team is drawn against a Premier League team in the FA Cup semi finals (preferably one who is currently third in the table and smashed Chelsea 5-1 earlier in the season); the Championship team have one long range shot on target in the entire 120 minutes, score it, and ride their luck to penalties, and by "ride their luck" I mean the other, better team completely and totally dominate them yet miss numerous one on ones and a few chances which were practically open nets; the Championship team then go on to win, and progress to the FA Cup final.

this game comes to mind. This is a real game where we (barca) lost 2-0 to hercules:

Barca stats are first and hercules 2nd

Shots (on Goal) 17(9) 9(7)

Corner Kicks 14 2

Time of Possession 77% 23%

took me less than a minute to find it mate, your frustrated i know but to say it needs fixing is off the mark

Did you actually watch that game? Barca had one half-decent chance in the entire match. My Villa team created chance after chance after chance - some of which were more or less open nets! When Agbonlahor, who is the top scorer in the league, misses a few tap ins from six yards out I'm entitled to be a little sceptical as to whether I ever had any chance of actually winning the game no matter what players I brought on or what tactical adjustments I made.

Did YOU watch the game? I was at the game, we had 6 or 7 'decent chances' mate. And do you really want examples of when smaller teams have beaten big teams in the FA Cup? Seriously? I happens just about every year mate.

you do have a right to be scepticle but you are not saying you are scepticle, you are saying its a definite thing that needs to be fixed!

If this was true then you could save immediately before the match, play, then reload and play the match again and always get the same result. I think you'll find that not to be the case.

I can't. I quit the game in a tired protest and the previous save was three weeks beforehand. I doubt I'll ever go back to that save now, which is devastating because it was very petty of me to quit in the first place, but also because I know full-well I have every right to be furious that the game happened as unbelievably and farcically as it did.

Did YOU watch the game? I was at the game, we had 6 or 7 'decent chances' mate. And do you really want examples of when smaller teams have beaten big teams in the FA Cup? Seriously? I happens just about every year mate.

you do have a right to be scepticle but you are not saying you are scepticle, you are saying its a definite thing that needs to be fixed!

No, Barca never. And, in fact, Hercules were by far the better team anyway. If Bristol were the better team I would have no complaints and there would be no thread,

so didnt watch it but "Hercules were by far the better team anyway" going to leave that one where it is...

All i am saying is that football, especially the FA Cup, has a history of smaller teams (more often then not being completely dominated) and getting a result, if this was 'fixed' it would never happen in the game and take some of the 'magic' out of it. If you were the Bristol manager you would be saying how good of a result it was for you. Just giving my point on the matter.

This is a very sad post.

Tings happen in football. Remember Man United 0-1 Portsmouth in the FA Cup. In the most one sided game that ended in a Portsmouth win I've ever seen.

Oh and if you want another.

Aston Villa 0-0 Wigan Athletic. I was there that day. We had 3 shots off the line, hit the bar once and the post 3 times.

**** happens.

so didnt watch it but "Hercules were by far the better team anyway" going to leave that one where it is...

All i am saying is that football, especially the FA Cup, has a history of smaller teams (more often then not being completely dominated) and getting a result, if this was 'fixed' it would never happen in the game and take some of the 'magic' out of it. If you were the Bristol manager you would be saying how good of a result it was for you. Just giving my point on the matter.

Where did you get "so didnt watch it" from?

This is a very sad post.

Tings happen in football. Remember Man United 0-1 Portsmouth in the FA Cup. In the most one sided game that ended in a Portsmouth win I've ever seen.

Oh and if you want another.

Aston Villa 0-0 Wigan Athletic. I was there that day. We had 3 shots off the line' date=' hit the bar once and the post 3 times.

**** happens.[/quote']

Man Utd should have had a clear penalty in that game because of a foul by Diop (I think) on Ronaldo, but didn't.

As for the Villa game, hitting the woodwork is unlucky - defenders making last-ditch clearances is a sign of great defending.

If, in that game, we were unlucky because we hit the woodwork a lot, or the ref missed a blatant penalty or if they made three goal-line clearances, I would accept it. It's the fact that my best players all suddenly decided to miss stupidly, stupidly-easy chances - after being in such fine goal scoring form previously - in the same game; essentially, lightening struck multiple times. Also, it's the fact that I literally predicted what was going to happen in the game. Literally. I knew how the game was going to pan out.

wow! 24 posts in under an hour! anyway.. it IS football. it has happened millions of times in fm and it happened already twice with my team in real life this year. Also don't forget that you have many missed shots which means that your players were just shooting for the stars....

Should've made better substitutes and better team talks. Don't blame the game, blame your failure to motivate your players and stop them from being complacent.

If you really thing this is bull ****. Imagine how Real Madrid feels when last year they lost to Alcaron 4-0? and drew to Murcia this year. (Despite winning 5-1 at home, its still a disappointment.)

Where did you get "so didnt watch it" from?

i wrote: Did YOU watch the game?

you wrote: No, Barca never

i think at the end of the day you need to realise that this happens in football, the most dominate team does not always win, FM tries to get realism, in REAL football players have shocking moments and miss easy goals, sometimes more than once a game. This is a one off, it is not some kind of bug nor anything that needs fixing, you were just unlucky!

wake up or justr go away having 25 shots compared to 1 make no diffrent if you miss 24 of yours and they score there 1 shot. it only takes 1 shot to lose a game plus the fact you've lost 5 out of 6 games suggests **** tactics

There was no way I was ever going to win this match.

replay it and I bet the score isnt the same, the result is somewhat pre-determined however every little thing you chance tactic wise and subs wise, changed the pre-determined result. Next time perform better in the dugout

To the OP: perhaps instead of mindlessly ranting, you should try to dedicated a bit more time to actually becoming a better manager and tactician. First, watch some actual real life football matches. There were already plenty this season where lesser teams achieved results over bigger teams. For example the FA Cup. There were quite a few big upsets where clubs were beaten by opposition 2 or 3 divisions below them.

However, if you want to continue believing that the game is somehow conspiring/plotting against you and that you are simply destined to loose specific matches, then go right ahead. Don't let any of us try to stop you.

Now if you had been manager of Bristol City you'd be on here telling us how good a manager you are for masterminding one of the great cup shocks, how your players were all heroes for withstanding so much pressure, and how nicking an unlikely win against superior opposition will be a memory you'll savour forever, adding the saved .pkm to your archive of most memorable FM moments. ;)

Another brainless moan post about a match result. They crop up every year.

Do you honestly think that SI would spend hundreds of hours building and tweaking a match engine only to pre-generate the results? What is this "pre-determined" result even based on exactly? Annoying the player? You don't make any sense.

If you have any legitimate concern it would be about the match engine, not this utter nonsense.

Guest DarthVader

As an "old timer"...

First off - and as some have mentioned - this sort of thing (liitle guy beating big guy against all the odds) has happened throughout the CM/FM series - it's nothing new, and neither should it be because it happens IRL.

Secondly - part of playing this game, and by game I mean any version of CM/FM, is that hopefully after 10-15 mins of the matchplay you check some stats, player performance, progress etc. and maybe tweak your tactic a little to try and mix it up a bit if your having little success in front of goal. Point being, the opposition were clearly coping with your tactic and although I don't know for sure it looks like you didn't try something different. Hopefully you did.

Thirdly - this was an FA Cup semi, a big occasion. I don't know but did you give a good team talk pre-match or did you make your side feel that a win was a foregone conclusion? Because it's a big occasion some players get nervous despite having all the ability and quality in the world. That applies to your players too - so they will miss "stupidly easy chances".

I'm not having a go at you, but try and learn from what has happened and maybe next time dig a bit deeper into the performance of your team as the game progresses. You may still lose the match but at least you will have tried to tip the balance in your favour - and that separates the great managers from the good.

To the OP: perhaps instead of mindlessly ranting, you should try to dedicated a bit more time to actually becoming a better manager and tactician. First, watch some actual real life football matches. There were already plenty this season where lesser teams achieved results over bigger teams. For example the FA Cup. There were quite a few big upsets where clubs were beaten by opposition 2 or 3 divisions below them.

However, if you want to continue believing that the game is somehow conspiring/plotting against you and that you are simply destined to loose specific matches, then go right ahead. Don't let any of us try to stop you.

This x1000 + It's not just the tactics this year it's all about keeping the players happy.

If you just want to click some aimless buttons and hope you win then carry on but I can recommend PES for that. If you actually want to think about what's going on in a game, before a game, how to improve things then FM11 is where it's at. A far better cerebral experience than any other FM ever IMO.

As an "old timer"...

First off - and as some have mentioned - this sort of thing (liitle guy beating big guy against all the odds) has happened throughout the CM/FM series - it's nothing new, and neither should it be because it happens IRL.

Secondly - part of playing this game, and by game I mean any version of CM/FM, is that hopefully after 10-15 mins of the matchplay you check some stats, player performance, progress etc. and maybe tweak your tactic a little to try and mix it up a bit if your having little success in front of goal. Point being, the opposition were clearly coping with your tactic and although I don't know for sure it looks like you didn't try something different. Hopefully you did.

Thirdly - this was an FA Cup semi, a big occasion. I don't know but did you give a good team talk pre-match or did you make your side feel that a win was a foregone conclusion? Because it's a big occasion some players get nervous despite having all the ability and quality in the world. That applies to your players too - so they will miss "stupidly easy chances".

I'm not having a go at you, but try and learn from what has happened and maybe next time dig a bit deeper into the performance of your team as the game progresses. You may still lose the match but at least you will have tried to tip the balance in your favour - and that separates the great managers from the good.

And this. Great post.

It is like spearmen beating tanks in civ2, dice roll!

It is like a disco destroying a Boron Ray in X-universe , lucky shot!

It is like your 100 Swadian nights are knocked out by looters , high terrain!

it is like France annexed by Berri in Europa Universalis 3 , superior commander !

It is like Gerald owned by a Drawner in The Witcher, got distracted by a pair of tits!

Sure all this can happen but NOT in a game

Best team not winning = epic game fail

it is like France annexed by Berri in Europa Universalis 3 , superior commander !

It is like Gerald owned by a Drawner in The Witcher, got distracted by a pair of tits!

Sometimes ***** just happens mate. In life and in a game.

nothing wrong really. this is football. sure you had 25 shots but you only had 3 clear cut chances.

it happens all the time that a team dominates, has a bunch of chances, takes none of them, and has the other team steal the points.

<Looks for his facepalm button>

It would make sense if the match was replayed 5+ times and the player's team lost despite dominating every time. Otherwise it's silly.

But then he'd be accused of cheating in order to win

loose-loose really

My understanding is, he is complaining that his players, out of nowhere, where not able to score in open goals

No-one can really comment without actually seeing the game, because match stats posted don't really say how easy or hard each shot was (were they under too pressure to get composed and a decent shot off, for example)

boohoo in the Netherlands an amateur team just made it to the quarter finals after being behind against a pro team with 2-0, they won 3-5 in the end, surely it was pre-determined as the amateur team probably had more people praying for a win, thus God already set the score beforehand leading to the result as mentioned before..

seriously, if you lose the game is realistic cos you will NEVER be a manager. Period.

As a Spurs fan i point you towards our home games against Wolves,stoke and Hull last season.And Wigan this season,there you go four examples in real life of what has happened in your game

As Spurs fans we can actually point you to about 8-10 games a season where this happens.

Also OP over half your shots were from distance. 'work ball into box' is your friend.

Not exactly a great example but still an example.

I play for a semi-professional team down here in Bristol and near the end of last season we were 2nd in the league, unbeaten for the entire second half of the season, and our last match was against the team in last place in the league, with only 4 points from the first 31 games of the season. We had scored 13 goals in our last 3 matches and conceded 1. There wasn't any pressure on us as the top 3 positions in the league couldn't change due to the results of the final match.

We had just under 30 shots on goal, about half of them on target, and most of the on target shots were from within the area and quite a few from within the 6 yard box. Our opponents had 3 shots, 2 from well outside the area and one from about 10 yards out. You know what happened? They scored one of their chances and we wasted all of ours. We did hit the woodwork a couple of times and we did have a chance cleared off the line, but overall we just had a really bad day, combined with their keeper having a great one.

Things like that happen in football, at all levels, where a keeper plays out of his skin and the strikers struggle to make an impact, it happens, get over it.

Archived