Sports Interactive Community
GioGio85

[FM11] It started with a Droylsden dream [ FM 2011 - Journeyman career ]

2028/29 -FC Schalke 04 (German first division)

An interesting first season in Germany ahead of me, I hoped that I could suceed in a new league and new way of life. Bring on the sauerkraut.

German first division – 3rd place

After taking over on 4 November 2028 my immediate aim was to try and establish ourselves higher up the table to ensure we got European football, preferably Champions Cup. We were 7th when I took over and after a series of strong performances, particularly away from home , we managed to get to 5th before stopping for the winter break.

Bayern Munchen were a fair way ahead of us in top spot, so my focus was now to definitely ensure we finished in the top 3 and got Champions Cup football.

I made a number of changes to the 1st team squad during the winter break so I was keen to ensure these alterations didn’t disrupt the team. Fortunately it didn’t seem to with defenders Claudio Conti and Diego Sosa being solid performers. Left winger Manuel Martinez had also settled in well and popped up with some goals. Sadly the 2 strikers I brought in hadn’t hit the ground running, which was a shame as star striker Madsen had a bit of a drought in February and early March.

The star signing though was Carlao, who was like a duck to water in his role at the top of a midfield diamond and his form was influential in turning Madsen’s slightly poor form around. Madsen scored 10 goals in the last 7 games of the season and this helped us achieve 3rd place.

Champions Cup – Out in 1st knock out round

AZ and Schalke were in the same Champions League group and in the days before taking over the reigns at Schalke, they had seen off my old team with a 3-2 away win. This result had pretty much ensured we would go through to the knock put stages. We just had to find out if we would go through as group winners or runners up.

I wanted to win the group and an amazing 4-1 win at the San Siro versus AC Milan made this a reality. Possibly my best performance in my career to date. I played M.Hafia in my final group game and wanted to make sure I didn’t lose and subsequently surrender top spot to Milan. We won but at a great cost, Madsen got sent off for some X-rated 2 footed challenge and subsequently got a 3 match ban.

As we entered the 1st round knockout without our talismanic striker we had it all to do. We struggled to put a team on the pitch in Europe due to the changes in personnel during the winter break (eg. Ineligibility of players due to playing in Europe with other clubs).

After a feeble 2-0 defeat to Sevilla the 2nd leg wasn’t much better as Sevilla picked us off on the break as we push desperately to overturn the deficit, we lost 3-2. A disappointing exit from Europe against a team we should have been able to beat with our best team.

German Cup – 2nd round

The club were out of the competition before I joined with a 2-1 away defeat to Duisburg.

Player review

Player of the yearJimmi Madsen (SC)

The first world class player I have worked with...and what a treat it was. Madsen is different class as shown by his record of 35 goals in 36 games. The leagues top scorer with 28 goals.

Other key performers

- Carlao (AMC)

Brought him from my old club AZ Alkmaar after he was inexplicitly sent to the reserves. Carlao is a technically gifted playmaker and he revelled in the freedom he was given at the top of our diamond formation. Finished with 2 goals and 9 assists in 15 appearances and a fans favourite already.

- Nicola Nanni (DMC)

The anchor man in my diamond formation. Steady Eddie who finished 3rd in midfielder of the year.

- Claudio Conti (DC)

My 6.5m signing from Lyon performed well after singing in January. Good acquisition for next season.

Season summary

A good first season in the German league. We got the European football we needed to push on and with some decent players brought in and some dross removed already, we should be in good shape to improve on 3rd spot next season.

Good first season. You've got some good players so defo something to build on.

Good first season. You've got some good players so defo something to build on.

Yeah we now have a good squad of players who on paper tick all the right boxes.

You have inspried to start a jounryeman carreer, but how do you keep doing all these posts, what do you use to upload images, anything quick?

Thanks Terras, I look foward to following your progress.

I initially used FlickR to host my pics. I then exceeded the free space limit for images so moved over to Image Shack. I think there are lots of other similar websites available which host images/videos etc. ona cloud server

My career so far (as of 2029):

2010/11 (Unemployed) - N/A

2010/11 (Droylsden) - 13th in Blue Square North.

2011/12 (Droylsden) - 9th in Blue Square North.

2012/13 (Droylsden) - 1st in Blue Square North (Champions)

2013/14 (Droylsden) - 17th in Blue Square Bet Premier and FA Trophy winners.

2014/15 (Droylsden) - 7th in Blue Square Bet Premier.

2015/16 (Grimsby Town) - 1st in Blue Square Bet Premier (Champions)

2016/17 (Grimsby Town) - 10th in npower League 2.

2017/18 (Grimsby Town) - 17th in npower League 2 (upon leaving the club in December 2017)

2018/19 (Rotherham United) - 24th in League 2 (upon leaving the club after 7 games)

2018/19 (Oldham Athletic) - 2nd in Blue Square Bet Premier (Promoted via the playoffs)

2019/20 (Hartlepool United) - 13th in npower League 2.

2020/21 (Bristol Rovers) - 1st in npower League 2 (Champions)

2021/22 (Bristol Rovers) - 2nd in npower League 1 (promoted as runners up)

2022/23 (Bristol Rovers) - 24th in npower Championship (upon leaving the club in October 2022)

2022/23 (FC Dordrecht) - 1st in Eerste Divisie (Champions)

2023/24 (FC Dordrecht) - 7th in Eredivisie

2024/25 (FC Dordrecht) - 7th in Eredivisie and Dutch Cup winners

2025/26 (FC Dordrecht) - 6th in Eredivisie

2026/27 (AZ Alkmaar) - 1st in Eredivisie (Champions) and Dutch Cup winners

2027/28 (AZ Alkmaar) - 1st in Eredivisie (Champions) and Dutch Cup winners

2028/29 (AZ Alkmaar) - 8th in Eredivisie (upon leaving in November 2028)

2028/29 (FC Schalke 04) - 3rd in German First Division

2029/30 (FC Schalke 04) - In progress....

International

2023 (Nigeria) - Afican Cup winners

2026 (Uruguay) - Out at group stage of World Cup

Season preview 2029/30 -FC Schalke 04 (German first division)

After finishing 3rd in my 1st season in Germany, I was hoping to push on in my 2nd season in Gelsenkirchen.

Transfers out

Lots to report really but I will try to be brief.

Out on frees were the ageing stars Costa, Ali Demir and Boubazar Diallo.All on big money so despite being decent pros who had done OK for the club they had to go to enable me to bring in new players.

Defensive midfielder Nicola Nanni, who had done so well for me last season, was attracting interest from his home country. I decide to cash in on the 30 year old and sold him to Palermo for 8.25m. I had a great replacement already at the club in Markus Lange as well as a few decent prospects in defensive midfield.

Firmin Samba, the striker and inside foward, assumed the right midfield role but i decided to offload him as I wanted an out and out right winger rather than a make shift one. He went to Frankfurth for 3.6m.

Upfront I was frustrated by Gustavo Montenegro. He failed to learn under club legend Jimmi Madsen's tutorledge and failed to impress in the games he played last year, with his lack of pace proving a downfall. I sold him for the same price I brought him for (4.9m) to Barcelona, but will get 30% of any future transfer. Need to find a new prospect to ultimately replace Madsen.

A fair few players,mainly youngsters, went out on loan and I hoped they could do well and gain some experience. Full details of ALL transfers here.

Transfers in

I signed a lot of players in the winter transfer window last season. This time round it was more about finding the right players for the remaining positions I had to fill.

I needed a new right back after failing to be impressed by Horacio Russo last season. In came Mohammed Melliti on loan from Chelsea, a talented French youth international.

I also needed a right winger and I found an exceptional one (if I do say so myself). Abdoulaye Kodio joined from Italian club Ascoli for 6.5m after I met his minimum release fee. I consider this both a bargain and a coup as the young Frenchman is an equisite talent who can perform on the right wing or in the centre. A man who could do exactly the same was another player I had at AZ, Austrian Dirk Weber. He joined on loan for the season to offer us some strength in depth in these positions.

The remaining voids to fill were upfront as Jimmi Madsen needed some support. 1 signing I made early on was German Marco Hertl from Werder Bremmen. Hertl grabbed 17 goals in 34 games last season on loan with Hurth and really impressed me when we played against him. Touted as the next Jurgen Klinsmann I hoped that this would be the guy who would eventually replace 31 year old Madsen as the clubs target man.

1 more signing to report and it is the BIG one. I was desperatly looking for a big money striker to bring in and propel us to glory.We needed someone to take the pressure off Madsen on the goalscoring front. I opted for the 21 year old Argentine Dario Pereyra from Racing Club for 20m, the most I have ever paid for a player by a looooong way. He was quick with an eye for goal, having already scored 82 league goals in his short career.

My squad now has the perfect mix of experience and youth. Hopefully we can do well.

Fantastic on pushing your way into 3rd spot in your first season !!!

20m on one player.... i don't have that to spend on the entire squad :(...unfair

I was certainly apprehensive about spending so much on 1 player, hopefully it will pay off. His start has been pretty good so early indications are positive.

Update on my mega money new signing, after a good start he then went off the boil, before putting in an amazing performance to help us beat Chelsea in the Champions Cup.

***Winter break 2029/30 update***

We have had a decent season so far.With a long way to go we are still competing on 3 fronts.

German first division - Currently in 2nd spot we are desperately trying to catch up with Leverkusen who are performing like they want to be champions at the minute with a number of equisite performers and last minute winners. Still a chance if we maintain our good form and manage to beat them in our home game.

Here is the current league table standings at the winter break stage.

German cup - Have beaten Hannover and Werder bremmen so far and am now due to come up against struggling Aachen in the Quarter Finals.

Champions Cup - Beat Dinamo Bucharest 8-0 over 2 legs to get into the group stages where I then had to face Chelsea, Palermo and Saint-Ettienne. I topped the group after remaining unbeaten in the 6 group games with a notable 4-2 home win against Chelsea helping me secure this. Now face Dynamo Kyiv in the 1st round knock out - a winnable contest.

What next?

I would like to win the German Cup and at least get through to the Champions Cup quarter finals.

My team is slowly coming together but some of the players that were key on the clubs previous successes eg. Jimmi Madsen, Carsten Kolding, Paty, Simone De Rosa and Markus Lang are now entering, if they arent there already, the latter stages of their careers.

I need to try and oversee this transition and blood the next generation of players while still being successful on the pitch. This is made all the more harder by the fact that Leverkusen have an exceptional team at present, with a number of world class performers.

Still hope we can overtake them this season, but failing that, I would take 2nd as a sign of progress.

Good luck overhauling Leverkusen in the second half of the season, hopefully Madsen and the boys have the spirit for one last title together! Overhauling an aging squad is always tricky, but it looks like you have the money to do so at least. How are the youth facilities at Schalke?

Loving this career, especially the progression through different clubs. :thup:

Just catching up and it looks as if it is going to be hard work to catch up with Leverkusen. Good luck though!

Good luck overhauling Leverkusen in the second half of the season, hopefully Madsen and the boys have the spirit for one last title together! Overhauling an aging squad is always tricky, but it looks like you have the money to do so at least. How are the youth facilities at Schalke?

Yeah I certainly seemed to struggle with AZ when introuducing the youngsters. This time I will try a more 'softly softly' approach. Hopefully I will learn from my mistakes.

I have state of the art youth facilities, Top training facilities and Top Copororate facilities. The youth facilities were only updated in November, so I think the next stage will be to improve the stadium (some fans still have to stand) and to get a better youth recruitment setup (currently well established)....I'd like a few more Germans to come through the ranks.

Loving this career, especially the progression through different clubs. :thup:

Just catching up and it looks as if it is going to be hard work to catch up with Leverkusen. Good luck though!

Going well so far thanks Crouchaldinho, hopefully I can see it through! I should be able to update tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Fantastic Season so far, the League looks like a long shot, but still give them a run for there money ! The German Cup looks a real possibility for you this year !

2029/30 - FC Schalke 04 (German first division)

A relatively good start to the season meant that we were still in all 3 competitions at the point of the winter break.

My Schalke team had overcome a few poor results and had started to perform much better just before we finished for the winter month, so I saw no need to bring in a lot of new players.

The only player to join in the January transfer window was attacking midfielder cum striker Robinho from Liverpool. The Brazilian, with Portuguese citizenship, was an experienced 29 year old player with plenty of talent and I was hoping he could offer us something different if required.

German First Division – 1s place (Champions)

The decent start to the league campaign left us 8 points behind Leverkusen at the winter break. I was hopeful that if my team managed to keep their recent form and beat Leverkusen and Bayern Munich at home, we could make up the deficit and overtake Leverkusen. We would of course be reliant on Leverkusen slipping up.

Fortunately my players did everything I required of them and Leverkusen slipped up with a series of draws, particularly at home - something they hadn’t been doing in the 1st half of the season.

Our form was excellent and we didn’t lose in the league in the second half of the season. A series of 8 wins on the trot took us to the summit of the league and a Carsten Kolding inspired 3-1 win over Leverkusen proved to be a catalyst for success. We won the league with 1 game to spare after Leverkusen drew their penultimate game of the season.

German Cup – Winners

A fairly easy run up until the Semi Finals when we drew Bayern Munich away. We were in fine form at the point of playing them and having just beaten them in the league we saw them off 2-1 to go through to the final versus Leverkusen.

The final was my 900th club career game and I felt that this game could have gone either way as I was concerned that Leverkusen could have been spurred on after being beaten to the league title.

The first half saw us take a 2-0 lead, 2 goals for left winger Marquez doing the damage. The team performed well in the 2nd half but despite defensive tactics we conceded a 87th minute equaliser meaning the tie had to go to extra time. I was worried that Leverkusen now had the momentum so I switched to a counter attacking style of play. This proved to be successful as despite a few close shaves my £20m man scored to put us 3-2 up. We then sealed the win with another big goal from my Danish centre back Kolding.

The 4-2 victory meant we had sealed the double, something that I couldn’t see happeneing after going in after 90 minutes level.

Champions Cup – Out in Quarter finals

We beat Dinamo Bucharest 8-0 over 2 legs to get into the group stages and finished top of a group containing Chelsea, Palermo and Saint-Etienne.

We then faced Dynamo Kyiv in the 1st round knock out round and saw them off with a 2-1 away win and an easy, if a little disappointing, 1-0 home win.

We then drew Italian Champions Napoli in the Quarter Finals. We were not fancied in either leg and that lack of faith was fully justified as we lost 8-1 over 2 legs. A horrible way to leave Europe.

Interestingly Napoli eventually went on to beat Real Madrid 4-0 in the Final – this didn’t make me feel too much better though to be honest.

German teams did well this season in the Champions Cup, with 3 teams entering the Quart Final stage.

Players

Player of the year – Carlao (AMC)

A very good season for Carlao. He was capped and grabbed his first goal for his newly adopted country Holland and also won the domestic German double. Set up plenty of goals (15) and chipped in with a few vital goals (including the winner in the 2-1 Semi Final win versus Bayern Munich). Will need to replace soon enough now that he is 31.

Other key players included:

- Jimmi Madsen (SC)

Didn’t quite live up to the same form as last season but broke the clubs goal scoring record and still ended up with 26 goals in all competitions. He also won German player of the year and came 2nd in the Golden Boot after plundering 9 goals in the Champions Cup. A good year but his best days are sadly behind him – need to line up a replacement after Marco Hertl failed to do anything in his 1st season.

- Carsten Kolding(DC)

My pick for player of the year, he was immense in defence but also grabbed an amazing 13 goals, most of them against big teams. Amazing performance from the 30 year old.

- Dario Pereyra (SC)

Started well, then went off the boil, then picked it up again. My top league goalscorer with 17 goals but I expect more from him next year. Scored what proved to be the match winner in the German Cup Final.

- Abdoulaye Kodio (MRC)

6.25m was a snip. Started slowly but then became instrumental in my teams success with a club record number of assists (22). Inter Milan interested in the 23 year old but I intend to keep him.

What next?

After winning manager of the year and players manager of the year I want a bit more of the same:)

I want to blood some younger players as the clubs successful older players are now inevitably starting to decline

Fantastic season! I'm actually very impressed you overcame the 8 point deficit - gives me hope of bridging the 9 point gap to Palermo :)

I couldn't believe that I managed to do it really...my league win with Grimsby and 1st promotion with Bristol Rovers were previously my top achievments, but I now think this can be classified as the greatest achievement in my career so far.

I was certainly given the dosh to buy the players I felt could improve us but beating Bayern Munich and Leverkusen really has shocked me :)

My career so far (as of 2030):

2010/11 (Unemployed) - N/A

2010/11 (Droylsden) - 13th in Blue Square North.

2011/12 (Droylsden) - 9th in Blue Square North.

2012/13 (Droylsden) - 1st in Blue Square North (Champions)

2013/14 (Droylsden) - 17th in Blue Square Bet Premier and FA Trophy winners.

2014/15 (Droylsden) - 7th in Blue Square Bet Premier.

2015/16 (Grimsby Town) - 1st in Blue Square Bet Premier (Champions)

2016/17 (Grimsby Town) - 10th in npower League 2.

2017/18 (Grimsby Town) - 17th in npower League 2 (upon leaving the club in December 2017)

2018/19 (Rotherham United) - 24th in League 2 (upon leaving the club after 7 games)

2018/19 (Oldham Athletic) - 2nd in Blue Square Bet Premier (Promoted via the playoffs)

2019/20 (Hartlepool United) - 13th in npower League 2.

2020/21 (Bristol Rovers) - 1st in npower League 2 (Champions)

2021/22 (Bristol Rovers) - 2nd in npower League 1 (promoted as runners up)

2022/23 (Bristol Rovers) - 24th in npower Championship (upon leaving the club in October 2022)

2022/23 (FC Dordrecht) - 1st in Eerste Divisie (Champions)

2023/24 (FC Dordrecht) - 7th in Eredivisie

2024/25 (FC Dordrecht) - 7th in Eredivisie and Dutch Cup winners

2025/26 (FC Dordrecht) - 6th in Eredivisie

2026/27 (AZ Alkmaar) - 1st in Eredivisie (Champions) and Dutch Cup winners

2027/28 (AZ Alkmaar) - 1st in Eredivisie (Champions) and Dutch Cup winners

2028/29 (AZ Alkmaar) - 8th in Eredivisie (upon leaving in November 2028)

2028/29 (FC Schalke 04) - 3rd in German First Division

2029/30 (FC Schalke 04) - 1st in German First Division (Champions) and German Cup winners

2030/31 (FC Schalke 04) - In progress....

International

2023 (Nigeria) - Afican Cup winners

2026 (Uruguay) - Out at group stage of World Cup

Well done on the double. That defeat against Napoli must have hurt morale though- 8-1 ouch!

Well done on the double. That defeat against Napoli must have hurt morale though- 8-1 ouch!

It really did hurt!

The worst was that in the first leg I playd 2 defensive midfielders in an attempt to keep it tight but they blew me away with 5 goals! Fabricio, who i sold to Napoli in my 1st season in charge, was instrumental for them in midfield.....d'oh!

European success is eluding me at the moment.

Well done, amazing success in Germany ! I know even though you will be pleased with the League Title and German Cup, there will be tad bit of disappointment how Europe turned out, that how i would feel anyway.

You made a major leap this season and hopefully next season you can continue your drive into Europe.

Well done. Bayern who? :)

They really suprised me actually. After an amazing season last time round when they won the title, they have since been disappointing.

Well done, amazing success in Germany ! I know even though you will be pleased with the League Title and German Cup, there will be tad bit of disappointment how Europe turned out, that how i would feel anyway.

You made a major leap this season and hopefully next season you can continue your drive into Europe.

Yeah want to get past the Quarter Finals next season. Im trying to work out in my mind if its better to finish 3rd in the Champions Cup Group stage so I can try and win the Euro Cup. Not very ambitious I guess...

Szepan and co would be proud.

I had to look up who this was.....hopefully I did him proud. Some way to go until I match his achievements though!

Congratulations on the England job, are you fairly up to date with the big English players or will it be a case of picking on reputation?

What's the next major international tournament? Is it Euros 2032? Have England qualified?

Congratulations on the England job, are you fairly up to date with the big English players or will it be a case of picking on reputation?

To be honest, I picked my first squad based on rep and value. I've signed up to subscriptions now for the English league so my knowledge should improve.

Played a few uncapped youngsters in my 1st game versus N.Ireland.beat them 1-0. Unspectacular stuff!

What's the next major international tournament? Is it Euros 2032? Have England qualified?

Yup , just about to start in the qualifying stages for Euro 32.

Im in an interesting group with 2 home nations (Wales and Ireland) as well as Belarus and Azerbajan.

I've just spent an entire evening reading this thread, and am now itching to begin a similar 'rags to riches' story when FM11 arrives in the post (damn Amazon!)

Particular highlights for me were the way club colours play a part in deciding your place of employment (how are you feeling with a lack of proper kit/badge at Schalke?) and also how both Droylsden and Dordrecht enjoyed consolidation after you left, which shows you left them in pretty good nick!

Hopefully I'll avoid the indecision in and around League 2, but I have to say I am exactly the same in resigning drastically if a club just doesn't feel right.

What are your plans for the future? Surely managing Spurs would be a dream for you, but maybe domination in Spain/Italy (with their real kits/badges) would be a good move first?

Good luck!

P.s how do you get the pictures into the thread? Just print-screen? I fancy doing one of my own!

Thanks FrazerBleeds, glad your enjoying it.

Droylsden are still in the Conference Prem and FC Dordrecht have really been pushing the big teams in Holland in recent years since I left them and AZ.

League 2 was the most difficult league for me to date, mainly because I couldnt settle (for a variety of reasons). I still want to manage in Italy and Spain before ultimatly managing in the Premiership (something I have yet to do).......as you rightly guessed, I would love to do it with Spurs too.

I take the screenshots by selecting Alt and F9. The screenshots then go in yout "Sreenshot folder" within your 'Football Manager 2011' folder.

Best of luck with the game when it arrives!

Everybody seems to be managing England now.

I think lots of people doing journey man games are at the same stage of their career ....I personally would have found it hard to turn down my country.

It arrived today!

Low and behold, I have just got offered the Droylsden job at the end of November 2010 with them struggling at 18th! Needless to say after half a year desperately applying for jobs in South Korea, I have took on the chellenge.

Let's see where this takes me :D

Low and behold, I have just got offered the Droylsden job at the end of November 2010 with them struggling at 18th!

Reliable Droylsden...they love giving newbies a chance :)

Season preview 2030/31 -FC Schalke 04 (German first division)

My team had performed above expectation last season round by winning the domestic league and cup double. I was hungry for more of the same and showed this by extending my contract to 2034.

My team was pretty good but I felt I could improve my ageing squad with some fresh, hungry players.

Transfer in

Having already secured the signing of Melliti from Chelsea for 3.9m after a good season on loan last time round I was eager to follow this up with more.

Early in the transfer window I signed 2 freebies. Amaury Royer was a promising 20 year old French defender who had been released by Lyon but was highly sought after.

Established Dutch international striker Koen Langeveld signed on a Bosman free from Bari. At 28 Koen was entering his peak and I was confident that the talented and proven goalscorer would prove to be a snip.

Next in was Edurdo Roldan from River. Rolan was the runner-up in the goalscoring charts in the Argentine league after scoring 26 goals in 43 games so I paid his release clause of 10m to take him from Argentina. Already an Argentine international with 5 caps, Roldan is a talented deep lying forward with great goalscoring ability. I hoped he could link up well with my big money signing from last season, newly capped Argentine international, Dario Pereyra.

I finished my transfer business by signing a few youngsters for low fees. One in particular stood out in Rasmus Strom. The wonder kid signed for 1.3m from Brondby and I expected him to make the left wing his own.

Transfers out

The signing of Strom meant that I had a difficult decision to make. I decided to sell Mexican captain Manuel Martinez despite our mutual love of each other to Atheltico Madrid for 9m...a tidy profit non-the-less.

Sebastian Fromm left for 7m to Udiense, Marcao went to Numancia for 2.6m and Yohann Colas (who performed well on loan at Palermo last season) returned to the club he was at last season for 6.25m (+ future fees).

I got rid of a lot of reserve and youth team players, including club legend Paty, who was soaking up 95k despite not playing and my squad was now mainly in its early twenties with the exceptions of my GK de Kat, my centre backs and superstar striker Madsen.

What next?

Very happy with my transfer dealings. I have some very talented German defenders to blood this season as well as some promising midfielders who have been at the club since I arrived.

Hopefully we can perform well from the off this season (unliek last time) and make an imprint on Europe ie. Avoid an 8-1 drubbing.

Reliable Droylsden...they love giving newbies a chance :)

Or they might love a bit of cheap labour?! :)

I think lots of people doing journey man games are at the same stage of their career ....I personally would have found it hard to turn down my country.

I'm not. I'm still on season 5. I think I might have to skip FM2012 so I can catch up. :D

***Winter break 2030/31 update***

A very good 1st half of the season currently sees me doing well again on all 3 fronts:

German First Division – Currently 1st

Wins at home to Stuttgart and Leverkusen and victory away over Bayern Munchen just before we finished for the winter sees me sitting top at the break with an 8 point gap over 2nd place. Our strong early form has put us in this good position and my only loss in the league so far was against struggling Aachen…d’oh

German Cup – Currently through to the 4th round

3 easy games played so far. The hard work starts now.

Champions Cup – through to 1st round knock out.

We were drawn in a fairly tough group with Barcelona, Aston Villa and Panathonaikos. However we made light work of this group and a 3-2 home victory over Barcalona saw us emerge as Group Winners. Only lost to Villa (undeservedly 2-1) in the group stage and have drawn Athletico Madrid in the 1st round knockout. Hopeful of pushing on past the Quarters this season…..we shall see!

What next?

Want to win the league again so we can start a bit of a dynasty...also want to progress in the Champions Cup and avoid an 8-1 thrashing. The form of my team so far suggests that this is possible, given some luck.

New signings Strom and Roldan have linked up especially well and last years 20m signing Pereyra has been player like the player I thought I was getting last season with 14 goals so far.

2 signings for me in the winter transfer window.

I signed a French left winger Alimou Arama on loan from Bordeaux for 250k. A talented left winger who would compete with Strom and Andre for the left wing birth.

Big signing was Hans N'Dioro. N'Diori is a quick and talented midfielder who has seemingly struggled to live up to his potential at numerous clubs including Real Madrid and former club AZ Alkmaar.

I signed him from St. Johnstone for 5m and hoped he would challenge Roldan's for his attacking midfield spot and hoped he would overtake Carloa as my impact sub.

Doing well so far.

N'Diori looks quite a bargain for £5m. Anyone with good pace and acceleration always seem to be a handful on FM. Got good determination too.

What about training N'Diori as a winger ?

Fantastic technique, good crossing ability, decent amount of flair, amazing pace and acceleration ???

Seems to lack the required mental qualities for the center of midfield in my opinion.