[FM11] Obligatory Pun: A Good Read? Otwock Not!

BWZ_Tomek

Firstly, sorry about the shameless pun in the thread title. It was awful, I'm well aware.

On to business, this will be a transcription of my exploits in Gundo's European Adventure Challenge. I will copy my posts here for those that don't want to have to slog through pages and pages of posts in that thread. If this is not allowed, please let me know.

I encourage you those brave enough to participate in this challenge in a country of your choice. I can honestly say that it's the most fun I've had playing FM in years.

The game is being played on FM 11.1, and as per the rules of the challenge, I've only loaded the Polish league on a large database. My club is OKS Start Otwock, a club newly promoted to the Polish First Division.

Now that I know I'll be posting this here as well, I'll probably post things such as player names more regularly in the match reports (for every one after the Sept. update, which was already posted), as it helps you develop an attachment to my lovable players, I know.:rolleyes:

P.S. For those questioning the pun itself, include in a subsequent post will be a pronunciation guide for the club's name.

Hope you all will enjoy reading about my progress in this challenge - I welcome any feedback, be it positive or negative. :thup:

I know Polish names are often difficult to pronounce, so I've taken the liberty of linking a guide as to the club name's pronunciation for all the readers here.

I've got an overloaded squad on my hands, with 26 players making up the ranks and a 3000 capacity stadium (1000 seated). I guess my first task, then, is assembling a staff, as I have none, and sifting through the players, deciding who to keep and who to throw on the scrap heap.

Really looking forward to the challenge, it's gonna be great fun - I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be to topple Europe's elite. Can't wait.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start Otwock - Polish First Division - 2011 Preseason

My preparations for the upcoming season couldn't have gone any better, really. From the start, we played some excellent, imaginative and clinical football, which absolutely shocked me. It seems that the team has already gelled pretty well and have a good understanding of one another. Granted, I wasn't exactly playing upper echelon competition, but the manner in which we did play was impressive.

To wit, one of the greatest goals I've ever seen in FM.

Summary: beat the reserves 4-0, Kaszubia 5-1 away, Baltyk Gdynia 3-0 at home, and then dismantled BKS Bielsko 7-1 away.

I can only hope we kick on and carry on that same winning mentality + style of play into the season. Something tells me we won't, though...

Start Otwock - Polish First Division - Early 11/12 Update

9957.gif

I'd left you with a report of my preseason, which was surprisingly successful, both in terms of the results achieved and the manner in which they were achieved.

Could we replicate those performances against sterner opposition once the league campaign kicked off and the games were for real?

Luckily, I've been blessed with a pretty decent squad for this league. One which, if I'm honest, with a bit of strengthening of quality, I fully expect to fulfill our goal of avoiding relegation. So, with that in mind, I went about making the additions that would keep me in the division.

Transfers

I know the names are meaningless, but hopefully I won't always be the only one playing in Poland. Maybe someone will find those names to be of use in the future.

Basically, I signed a quality CB, a backup DM for my 4-4-2 diamond, a striker for the rotation, loaned a versatile midfielder who I use primarily as backup for the newly acquired Trela, whose transfer (a good one, mind...except for his age. I believe he's 31-32) was prearranged. Released players I found surplus to requirements and sold Tokaj, who showed me a serious lack of respect in a meeting in insisting on a new contract and then whinging about being sent to the reserves. I need to stamp my authority on the club from day one. :cool:

Squad and Tactics

League To Date:

Game #1: (A) Sandecja 4-2

Our inaugural match saw us make the trip to southern Poland to face Sandecja. We got off to a dream start, Kiczynski scoring from a corner. However, shortly thereafter we failed to deal with a free kick delivery into the area and it was back to reality. An own goal, at that. With 15 minutes to play, our keeper conceded one I'd bet he'd like to have back, an effort from outside the area beat him at his near post. We were duly rewarded when Kiczynski popped up again to score from another corner in almost identical fashion in the 83rd minute. However, we were not given any time to celebrate, as Sandecja immediately began to turn the screw. Just 3 minutes later, we conceded from a corner ourselves. A near post effort deflected cruelly off one of our own and into the net for our 2nd own goal of the match! Harsh. Another Sandecja goal, this one in stoppage time, added arguably undeserved gloss.

Game #2: (A) GKS Katowice 0-0

This one really should have been a smash and grab in our favor. I was really proud of my players - we set the stall out to defend and did so admirably, limiting their chances and forcing long range efforts. In the 81st minute, a counter produced a penalty. Up stepped our best penalty taker (on the pitch at the time), our captain and keeper. Wouldn't you know it, he put it wide of the post. Sour taste.

Game #3: (H) Flota 4-2

Cagey opening, fell behind in the 27th, but responded from a corner within 10 minutes. So, after 3 matches, we'd managed 3 goals to that point, all of them from corners. That belied our ability, really. Two minutes after equalizing, a brilliant through ball later and we had the lead. We never looked back, taking a 3-1 lead after Bala and his strike partner worked an intelligent one-two. A late Flota goal made it interesting, but this time it was us who added another in stoppage time to make the victory certain. An even match decided by our superior incisiveness and inventiveness.

Game #4: (H) Radzionkow 5-2

Three days later and it was another home fixture, so a bit of squad rotation was in order. The type of game we needed to win if we expected to survive in the division. To my pleasant surprise, not only did we do so, but we did so in resounding fashion. Delightfully clinical finishing had us up 3-0 at half time. And from the restart, we had slotted the ball in their net within seconds. The fans were in dreamland. Of course, another own goal from us and a Radzionkow strike less than 5 minutes thereafter conspired to unnerve us. With 52 minutes played, it was 4-2. Game on? Not really, as we popped up with a goal before the hour mark. Surprisingly, that was it. Great, great win.

Game #5: (A) Gornik Zabrze 0-0

We had no business drawing this game. Gornik have the quality of promotion contenders and they had us under the cosh all game long. We had 4 shots on target to their 1, but they attempted many more and struck the woodwork 3 times. Ironically, we had a chance to snatch it late but hit the woodwork ourselves. Still, lady luck smiled on us, all things considered.

Game #6: (H) Ruch Chorzow 1-2

Another match where we'd be lucky to pick up a point, we faced the side I'd actually predicted to win the title in preseason. We played defensively and on the counter all night, struggling to keep them out. We hadn't generated a single thing and they peppered our goal. But wouldn't you know it, on the stroke of half time we took the lead with what had to be our only effort of the half. We looked like sealing a famous victory. But a justly awarded penalty was converted successfully for Ruch to equalize. And, cruelly for us, we conceded a crushing second to throw away the points two minutes from time. To be fair on the visitors, it was no less than they deserved.

Game #7: (H) Warta Poznan 2-1

Another one we'd probably have to win if we really had any grand ambitions, considering we were home and the visitors were tipped to finish slightly below mid-table. The attacked us from the off and took a one goal lead into the changing room at halftime. We opened up and finally produced the quality needed to equalize, hitting them on the counter. It was a relatively even game, with few shots on target (our 3 to their 1). But we kept pushing for the winner and it paid off. In stoppage time, late substitute Urban latched on to an ingenious through ball and lashed home emphatically to give us the 3 points we craved.

TABLE AFTER 7 MATCHES

Hope to maintain this early form, it might even see us push for a promotion place...

Thanks for reading, if you made it!;)

Start Otwock - Polish First Division - September 11/12 Update

9957.gif

Game #8: (A) Piast 3-2

We just weren’t up for the fight in this one. By the time we woke up, we were already 3-0 down and being played off the park. It’s a shame it took us an hour to get in the game. We pulled one back on 63 minutes and another with 5 minutes left, but couldn’t score a 3rd. What really frustrated me was that the referee blew for full time as we were attacking.

Game #9: (A) Polkowice 1-2

The total opposite of our last performance, so I’m impressed. We went out and controlled this match against struggling Polkowice from the off. We dominated possession and chances, leading 2-0 by half time. We should have been more comfortable to be fair. Polkowice pulled one back not long after the restart, and despite us controlling play and tempo, there was always that tinge of fear in the back of my mind. We couldn’t take advantage of a straight red in our favor in the 69th, but we managed to claim the 3 points and that’s what’s important.

Game #10: (H) Odra Wodzislaw 3-0

It was the battle of 8th (us) v. 9th in this one, so quite an important fixture in a rather congested table. To my surprise, this was one of our most comfortable victories of the season. In the beginning, we limited our opposition to long shots from outside the area and attempted to make our mark by controlling the tempo. Granted, they struck the woodwork a remarkable three times, but our superiority was never in doubt. The record high 664 fans in attendance witnessed a win that propelled us to 6th in the table. Very pleased with the fact that each of our shots on target ended up in the back of the Odra net. Also, last match I dropped our starting keeper, who also happens to be captain and was rewarded by a 7.3 performance and clean sheet by his replacement. As a matter of fact, my keeper and backline were picked in the team of the week AND their manager was sacked immediately after this match – delighted about that. :D

Game #11: (H) Gornik Walbrzych 1-0

This one, in my mind, was a must win game. Gornik are propping up the rest of the league, in last place. They haven’t won a game all season, securing only 2 points. Our team is flying high, we were actually made overwhelming favorites for this one, while our counterparts must be down in the dumps. This would be a great chance to expose the wider public to our story, as the match would be our first on TV! It was a plucky performance by the visitors. They impressed with their passing game and industry. They even managed to put one in the back of our net before the first was over – which was correctly ruled out for offside. By that time, we had taken a one goal lead, however, with one of our strikers audaciously latching onto a cross from the right and volleying it viciously towards goal. It took a clear deflection on it’s way in, but I felt the decision to class it an own goal was extremely harsh. The second half was largely boring. We had a couple of chances, including a one on one generated by a flick-on, but couldn’t capitalize. We were able to hold Gornik at arm’s length. Sadly, our first ever televised match was a forgettable affair. Not exactly how we wanted to present ourselves, but I’ll take the win.

Game #12: (A) Lechia Zielona Gora 1-0

Another crunch game, as we faced a Lechia Zielona Gora side tipped to be in a relegation dogfight. A result was badly needed here, as all the better teams had put them to the sword and Lechia were riding a 9 game winless streak. I was hoping we’d be professional in our performance and keep our foot on the gas pedal, so to speak. Unfortunately, the game was controlled by the hosts. They both bosses possession and hit us on the break, pinging long balls over the top that we struggled a bit to cope with. We had a few chances, to nick a result but couldn’t find the inspiration. The way we ultimately lost was a real kick in the teeth. I had made all of my subs when one of players had to go off injured. I, probably stupidly, left 3 in the midfield and 2 up front, and was made to pay when a Lechia pullback from the wing found a charging midfield runner unmarked to slot home late on.

FROM 5 GAME SEGMENT: 9 from a possible 15 points

Pretty damn pleased with the team so far, we’re getting balanced scoring and decent defense. We’re joint 2nd in the division in goals scored and sit in 6th place, 2 points off a playoff place (though Gornik Zabrze have played a game less) Prior to the aforementioned injury, we’d managed to stay completely injury free for the season, which has helped. Glad took the points we did, because that run featured some important, more straight forward fixtures.

In the next 5 games, we play leaders Gornik Leczna away and promotion chasers GKP Gorzow at home, so I’m interested to see how we’ll fare. Our form prior to the lengthy winter break, which is a mere 7 games away, could very well decide our promotion chances.

NEXT UPDATE: WILL TAKE YOU UP TO THE WINTER BREAK

Start Otwock - Polish Second Division - 15 Games In - 11/12

9957.gif

So then, our first match with a player missing out through injury – and it’s the influential forward Michal Bala. We were to face Dolcan Zabki at home. They currently sit 17th in the table, that’s one off bottom. Oh, and they haven’t won in 16 matches, dating back to last season. No pressure, then…

Game #13: (H) Dolcan Zabki 1-1

Very, very disappointing game and result for us. They controlled possession, which is nothing too surprising, considering my tactics don’t exactly place an emphasis on ball retention. However, what was really disheartening was the lack of chances we fashioned. Krzysztof Trela scored his first for the club with a sliding effort, but other than that, it was a game bereft of any real quality from both teams. Considering Dolcan’s form, I really expected much better from us. Hope playing down to the competition’s level doesn’t become a habit.

Game #14: (A) Pogon Szczecin 1-1

Well, if I had any lingering doubts as to whether we’d be able to shrug off the home draw with Dolcan of 4 days ago, they were dispelled in great measure early, as we scored from the opening kickoff with a great team goal – the little creative spark Bartosz Kozakiewicz this time applying a deft finish for his 4th league goal in 12 starts. Most of the Pogon fans amongst the 2,998 in attendance hadn’t even managed to settle in their seats before their side fell a goal behind. We had the upper hand against our 13th placed opponents, until Bartosz Lawa scored a wondergoal from what had to be 30 yards just before the half hour mark, that is. Pogon easily passed it through our midfield and our 4 defenders stood like statues in unison, failing to close down the onrushing midfielder. From that point on, we held on for dear life, it seemed. Wave after wave of Pogon attack came at us. They simply seemed faster, stronger, more technical – we were being played off the park. Still, we had an decent opportunity just before the half, and a golden opportunity at about the hour mark. Both on the counter attack, both spurned. On another day we might have taken those chances. At least that’s why I keep telling myself, anyway. Ironically, despite the opponents hitting the woodwork 3 times and carving out 4 clear cut chances, it was our Kozakiewicz who was deemed Man of the Match.

Game #15: (H) Rakow Czestochowa 1-0

For our 3rd game in 8 days, we entertained fellow promoted side Rakow Czestochowa. Like ourselves, they were defying expectations, sitting prettily in 13th place. The first 20 minutes of the match belonged to us. We were the only team creating chances. Unfortunately, our finishing seems to have deserted us. We couldn’t capitalize on our chances, and as the half wore on, Rakow started to get a foothold in the match, even hitting a crossbar. I introduced Wocial at the break as a replacement up front, and he made me look like a genius, capping off a classic counterattacking move with a cool finish. Though not for lack of intent, we failed to increase our lead, and this led to some nervy moments. Rakow whipped in a cross from the right late on that caused panic and disorder in our penalty area, but our defense manfully blocked about 3 consecutive attempts before the danger was averted. A deserved victory on the balance of the game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, our first win in 4 matches leaves us in 4th place after 15 matches, 5 points off second, and thus, a promotion place. Our most important matches are the next 4, which will take us into the winter break. In my opinion, they will serve as the best litmus test for the team yet. In that 4 game stretch, we’ll be playing the league leaders away, 7th and a strong 9th at home, followed by 10th away. Whether or not we have the quality to get results before the winter break will tell me a lot about the team and if we do, I’ll go in confident that we can secure promotion. Failure to do so will probably lead me to think about playing another year in the division and consolidating.

I’m a little concerned with 2 things. First, the fact that, despite still being third in the division in goals, we just aren’t scoring the way we used to. I could put this down to Bala’s absence, but it’s that’s really no excuse. And secondly, and arguably importantly, I am having a bit of problem with unsettled players. A few have demanded new contracts, as they’re unhappy with the current level of their wages. I’ve managed to talk a some into proving they deserve new contracts, a couple were more bullish in their approach. Given that I’ve promised them new deals, my failure to do so ultimately results in them handing in transfer requests. Now, I’ve given in to the demands of most, offering bumper deals to my more important players. However, I’m really worried that if this keeps happening, it could ruin the squad’s morale and end up sending a promising season down the tubes.

NEXT UPDATE: The aforementioned important matches prior to winter break.

Thanks, Hunter. As far as the pun goes, it was really late where I am and I just went with the first thing that came to mind. It seemed like a good idea at the time!:eek: The good news is that Bala will likely be back and in the squad or even starting my next match. The bad news is that it'll be away to first placed Gornik Leczna - I anticipate getting drubbed, but we'll see. Luckily they're missing some talismanic players through suspension and injury, so maybe we're catching them at the right time.

I'll have another proper update later today!

Start Otwock - Polish First Division - 11/12
9957.gif

Let’s get right to it, then. Our next match was away to table topping
Gornik Leczna
. Like I mentioned previously, we might be facing them at the perfect time due to injuries and suspensions to their key players. Their form has been the definition of sketchy lately, as they’ve alternated wins and losses in their last 6 games. However, I know it will be anything but an easy task. As a matter of fact, out of respect to the quality of the opposition, I sprung a few tactical surprises for this match. I took out our leading scorer and the creative hub of the team,
Bartosz Kozakiewicz
and drafted in 6’7” DMC
Michal Trzeciakiewicz
. Mmmmm, 19 jumping. Also, the fit again
Michal Bala
return to the starting lineup in a new role. As opposed to the poacher’s role he previously was employed in, I decide to utilize his well-rounded physical stats (for the division) and use him as a target man, with
Tomasz Urban
along side.

Game #16 : (A) Gornik Leczna 1-1

The game began exactly as I expected it to, with us attempting to soak up pressure, but Gornik decidedly on the front foot, generating chances. A Gornik cross from deep led to a corner, which led to the first goal of the game, just before the half hour mark. They continued to pass the ball around and probe for openings, as we were content to sit deep. Gornik Leczna were encamped in our half. The second half began in the same vein. We hadn’t even managed so much as a shot on target. But I felt that as long as the difference was only one goal, I felt that, however slight, there was a chance. In the 83rd minute, our keeper
Anusiewicz
made a good save, making himself big to prevent the game from slipping out of reach. In added time, we poured forward and a long ball played down the right channel led to a free kick for us from a good position on the right side of the area. Our usual DMC, who was pushed forward as a box to box mid in this match, bent in a quality free kick, which their keeper could only push out right to the feet of our tower of strength at the back,
Lewandowski
. He reacted quickly to slot in. From a set piece, our only shot on target of the match was the equalizer in injury time. Good teams take advantage of situations like that. Wait….did I just call us a good team?

Game #17: (H) GKP Gorzow 1-0

A rather boring first half against a very decent Gorzow side. We arguably had the better of the play, with
Bala’s
lack of composure leading to a one on one opportunity going to waste. In the 2nd half, it was much of the same, it was a game without much incident. The game sprung to life, though, when
Mazurkiewicz
popped up with another goal from a set piece for us – turning in
Trela’s
delivery. It produced a very tense finale, with
Anusiewicz
proving his worth with a fantastic save late on to preserve the victory for us.

Game #18: (H) GKS Katowice 2-2

With a two week break between our win against Gorzow and this fixture, a record crowd of 700 was expected to turn up at Tadeusza Slusarskiego. I was anxious to see how we’d perform. Unfortunately, we’d be weakened before a ball was even kicked, since our starting keeper, the in form
Anusiewicz
, would miss out with the flu. The eccentric, old keeper and captain,
Bulka
would take his place – but hopefully we won’t need him to perform any heroics in this match. The story of this match? The bitter taste of throwing away 2 points. Our first goal came in the 36th minute.
Mikhalevskyi
, recalled for this match, crossed from the left, and it bounced off the keeper’s legs and in. We were pegged back immediately and as a result the match was finely poised until the hour mark. It was then that we took the lead, scoring a wonderful goal on the counter.
Bala
, who was moved to the right wing during the match, played a great ball for substitute striker
Urban
, and he bore down with Mikhalevskyi for support, 2 on 1. His square pass allowed Mikhalevskyi to slot into an empty net with his left foot. The crowd went mental. We withstood waves of Katowice attacks. I was a nervous wreck during this match, couldn’t even bare to look at times, such was the importance of these 3 points, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the pressure told and we capitulated 3 minutes before time, their striker making space for himself in the box and redirecting a good cross from their left into the net. Gutted with the draw.

Game #19: (A) Flota Swinoujscie

It was a tepid affair in the first half, with 10th place Flota having the better of the chances. Probably contributing to this was my decision to go back to my 4-1-3-2 variant. Fortunately for us, their finishing was absolutely dire. In the second half, there were some definite talking points, with Ukranian striker
Mihalevskyi
involved in nearly all of them. First, he contrived to miss two great opportunities. The second was especially clear cut – when a cool head was required to take it round the keeper, he decided to blast it straight at him. Then, when, substitute Wocial had claims for a stonewall penalty turned down, the team was incensed. Especially Mikhalevskyi. Normally, I wouldn’t have a huge problem with displays of passion like that – except the striker was on a yellow card. Bye bye, he got sent off for dissent. And with us having gone down a goal after a comical
Trela
own goal early in the second half, things did not look promising. 10 minutes remained for us to try to sneak a result. And we got it, thanks to some route one football. We bypassed the midfield, with
Wocial
latching on to a long ball, using his fresh legs to outstrip the defenders and arrowing an unstoppable effort high into the far corner. Job done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 6 of our last 7 games, we have only managed to score only one goal. We’ve managed to stay undefeated through that streak, ironically. But where that becomes problematic is that 5 of those games have ended in draws. Our improved defense and never say die attitude have been admirable, no question. But the harsh reality is that we’re losing sight of the promotion chasers with every draw and that’s a bit demoralizing, to be honest.

Speaking of morale, my left backs don’t seem to like each other very much. I’ve been rotating them all season based on merit and a few days prior to the Flota match,
Klecz
announced that he found
Nowotka
, who had just happened to be enjoying a run in the team, impossible to work with. Hmmmph….my players. If they’re not moaning about their contracts, they’re bitching about each other.

NEXT UPDATE: SUMMARY OF OUR POSITION AND OUTLOOK

progress.gif

Start Otwock – Polish First Division – Winter Break 11/12

9957.gif

ANALYSIS: Winter break has arrived in Poland and my honest appraisal is that I doubt we have the quality to keep pace with the promotion chasing pack this season. I’d love to be proven wrong in the end, but my instinct is telling me that it may be too tall an order for our squad this season. Through 19 games, meaning over half of the season, this is the table. As you can see, we’re sitting 5th in a very condensed table, currently 6 points from promotion. As I mentioned in the previous post, though unbeaten in our 7, we’ve drawn 5 of those games, which has seen the gap swell. What is this down to? Our away form and our inability to score on our travels. At the friendly confines of Taduesza Slusarskiego, we are performing brilliantly, with 7 wins, 2 draws and only 1 loss. In those games, we are averaging over 2 goals per game. On our travels, however, were are managing only one per game and have won only once all season. If we’re to have any chance of promotion, we’ll definitely need to be turning a few more of those draws into wins. And this goes back to my comment on the quality of the squad – maybe we just don’t have that extra bit of quality to do that this season?

Regardless, during the winter break, I will be assessing the squad in depth and scouting the region for talent. Maybe I’ll be able to strengthen the squad once the transfer window opens. The problem is, though I do have about 2k per week to play with in terms of wages, I have players committed to contracts and don’t want to bloat the squad unnecessarily.

As a first time manager in the lower leagues, it’s definitely a lot to think about and analyze, but I’m still having a great time doing it.

KEY PLAYERS OF THE FIRST HALF:

Tomasz Lewandowski – a tower of strength at the back. The rock upon which our defense is built. Immense in the air.

Jaroslaw Mazurkiewicz – The picture of consistency. I use him as a DM, he’s also chipped in with an impressive 7 assists.

Bartosz Kozakiewicz – Great at arriving late in the box to turn in crosses. Leads the counter attack with his dribbling and incisive passes. Very creative, calm on the ball. Probably the only player on my team that can play one touch football effectively.

Finances

NEXT UPDATE: THE RETURN FROM THE WINTER BREAK

Start Otwock - Polish First Division - End of Winter Break 11/12

9957.gif

Given that we'd have almost 3 months before another match of any kind, I spent the vast majority of the time off scouting for the gems that would help me have a strong second half of the season and maybe even secure promotion. After an extensive search, I settled on snapping up these two: Martin Matus and Blazej Telichowski

I know they're not the youngest players in the world and will be amongst the highest players in my squad, but they're unquestionable upgrades over what I had at the positions they play and my financial situation is quite alright. Both will slot straight into the team for my first game back, which will be at home to struggling Sandecja Nowy Sacz.

My preseason preparations went well, with the highlights being a narrow 2-1 loss to Ekstraklasa (top flight) LKS Lodz and a cheeky 1-1 draw with another top flight side, Lechia Gdansk. I was most pleased with the fact that we managed to avoid any injuries to key players. Also, in another friendly, I actually saw snow for the first time in FM 11. Quality. :eek:

NEXT UPDATE: The next 5 league games, which include a crunch home matchup with 2nd placed Gornik Zabrze.

Start Otwock - Polish First Division - 10 Games Remaining In 11/12 Season

9957.gif

I won't be saying much about my first two matches since our return from the winter break, primarily because I played them so long ago that my memory's gone a bit foggy on them - and also because, quite frankly, they were unremarkable matches. But in the interest of completeness, here's a brief overview of what happened:

Game #20: (H) Sandecja 1-0

Clearly a must win against a Sandecja team now languishing in the relegation zone. It, going by the statistics, could be summed up as an even game. However, our quality told in the end, with Kozakiewicz slipping a delightful through ball in for Bala to coolly bury into the back of the net with 55 minutes gone.

Game #21: (A) Radzionkow: 0-1

Simply put, a precious smash and grab victory against a very decent Radzionkow side whose 4-1-4-1 formation indicated that they'd set out their stall to defend. As such, they very much controlled the flow of the game. We only had one shot on target all game and our keeper, though he only had to make 3 saves, was awarded the match ball. But importantly, we made our one shot on goal count, with that man Bala again popping up with the match winner. This time, he slid in to meet a telling Trela delivery from the left wing.

So, 6 points from a possible 6 and 2 clean sheets. Despite only managing to score two goals, I was delighted with the results. It's the points that matter, especially at this stage of the season. Next up: an absolutely pivotal match to our promotion hopes, as we faced Gornik Zabrze.

Game #22: (H) Gornik Zabrze 2-0

We faced division leaders Gornik Zabrze and the lads secured an absolutely memorable victory. Perhaps the visitors were shocked by our attacking intent. I told the lads to the attack from the off (something I don't think I've ever done as yet this season, especially against such formidable opposition!) and it paid dividends. Trela threw the ball in to Kozakiewicz, who immediately laid it back off to the former and sprinted off into the penalty area. Trela took it down the line and whipped in a cross that was met by the head of - you guessed it - little Kozakiewicz. Within 13 minutes, we were 1-0 up against the leaders. The fans, much like myself, could hardly believe it. But things would get even better for our side. Gornik's centre-back, Mariusz Jop, got himself an early bath for a second yellow after only 17 minutes. Could this be our day? After we secured a fantastic 2nd goal in first half stoppage time, I truly believed it was. The ball was taken off the feet of Bala, who had done very well to outpace a defender to a loose ball. It bounced directly to our right midfielder Mateusz Powalka, who was in space outside the box. Without hesitation, he unleashed an unstoppable effort first time to send us into the changing room 2-0 up. And though we were thoroughly outpossessed and helped out by the woodwork twice, we kept our heads. And our third consecutive clean sheet. The only downer being that Bala broke his ribs in this match and would be out for 3 weeks.

Game #23: (A) Warta Poznan 2-3

We knew that our big win against Gornik would be rendered meaningless if we couldn't secure a result against Warta Poznan. It wouldn't be easy, though. Warta may only be a mid table side, but that's purely down to their woeful away record. At home, where they'd be playing this match, unfortunately for us, they'd only lost one match all season - prior to our arrival. Again, we went out with the "nothing to lose" attacking mindset. And it worked - with us going 2-0 up, courtesy of new signing Martin Matus. First, he took the rebound of a Mikhalevskyi effort and chipped it wonderfully over the retreating keeper on the half hour mark. Then, 10 minutes later, he played in his strike partner, who this time made no mistake. Ironically, the lead would evaporate before half time. We threw it away in 3 minutes. But I felt we were superior to our opponents and urged the lads to keep pressing for the winning goal in the second half. A minute from time, we were granted a penalty. The Warta played who'd scored their 2 goals obstructed Matus and prevented him from reaching substitute Wocial's through-ball. The latter then picked himself up, dusted himself off and kept his cool to give us all 3 points on the day.

Game #24: (H) Piast Gliwice 1-3

The less said about this match the better. Things started off evenly, but after the talisman at the heart of our defense, Tomasz Lewandowski, was sent off, things went downhill. The second half started with the game being a goalless affair. By the 64th minute, an own goal put us 2 goals down. A goal from a corner brought us some hope 4 minutes later, but any light at the end of the tunnel was summarily extinguished, as we failed to defend a corner properly ourselves.

So, 10 games remain and I'm right there in the thick of the promotion race. Unbelievable, really. I'm delighted with the start we made after the winter break. We won 4 on the trot and managed to extend our overall unbeaten run to 11 games. Despite the loss to Piast Gliwice, we have the 2nd best home record in the league. The difference now is, our away form is currently the best in the division and now 4th best over the span of the entire season.

Unfortunately, in the Piast match, the red card and the need to rotate the squad due to tired players killed us.

NEXT UPDATE: THE RUN-IN, PART I

Start Otwock - Polish First Division - The Run-In 11/12, Part I

9957.gif

Finally, it’s squeaky bum time. That time of year where heroes and antiheroes are born. Every match is poised on a knife-edge, the difference between the euphoria of promotion and the agony another slog through the second division is often one goal.

Now then, Start Otwock…contenders or pretenders? We’re about to find out.

Game #25: (A) Ruch Chorzow 0-0

Remember, this is the same side that stole 3 points from us in Otwock with 2 late goals. I’d obviously have liked a little revenge, but given that they’re in the thick of the promotion chase themselves, if you’d have told me prior to the match that we’d get a point out of it, I’d have snapped your hand off. On the pitch, we were pretty well dominated. Our backline (well 3 out of the 4…left back was a weak link) played very well collectively and we somehow snuck out with a point. It was key to avoid defeat, especially since this was our 3rd match in a 6 day span.

Game #26: (A) Odra Wodzislaw 0-1

Delighted with the 3 points here. Odra are better than their position in the table indicates. In a game of precious few chances, it was our execution from a corner that made the difference. Lewandowski’s goal made bearing the downpour conditions worth it.

Game #27: (H) Polkowice 4-2

We were playing a side that would surely be on a high as they were coming off a victory against Ruch Chorzow. We really showed the difference in class between ourselves and Polkowice – who had spent the entire season in the lower reaches of the table. From the off, the attacking football and the manner in which we played in the all-important final third of the pitch was breathtaking. Dare I say, our first half performance would have been applauded by the likes of Arsenal. Our front three of Kozakiewicz (brilliant goal and 2 assists), Mikhalevskyi (goal and assist) and Matus (goal and assist) was in sublime form. We were 3-0 up at the interval and cruising. We were well on our way to our first comfortable victory in what seemed like ages – probably since the early stages of the season!

Game #28: (A) Gornik Walbrzych 1-3

The first game of a 3 game stretch against teams either relegated or firmly rooted in the relegation zone. We really should be taking 9 points from these games if we want to celebrate promotion at the end of the season. Despite being away, I trusted in our quality and thus attacked from the off. It took about half an hour, but we finally took the lead. Only to give it back 10 minutes later. Don’t let the scoreline fool you. This was actually a very close, nail-biting encounter. It wasn’t until less than 20 minutes from the whistle that we took the lead. Their keeper spilled a harmless cross, which the opportunistic Matus made no mistake with for his 2nd of the match. It was also nice to see Bala, who was just returning from his ribs injury, come off the bench to bag the insurance marker. Pad that goal difference baby, you never know…

Game #29: (H) Lechia Zielona Gora 3-2

This was another game in which I was hoping to pad the goal difference column. As opposed to the last match, though, this one was never as close as the score indicates. The reckless style which we adopted made it closer than it should have been in the end. We always held a lead and were clearly in control. Roles were reversed in this one, with Bala, returned to the starting lineup in place of Mikhalevskyi, bagging a brace and Matus chipping in with another.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With 5 games remaining, this is the table. Undoubtedly the pick of our last matches is the home encounter we’ll have against Gornik Leczna on the third to last matchday of the season.

I have full faith in my team, but even if we fail I’ll be proud of what we’ve achieved.

One problem I’ve noticed is that I haven’t been involved in a single cup match this season. Don’t know why that is, but it’s not been good for our finances, as we’re currently over 50K in the red.

Archived