For those of you struggling with Byteshield Activation Issues

i bought FM 2011 this morning and downloaded and installed it about 4 hours ago and since then everytime i click on the desktop iceon all i get is an error message from byteshield saying " the server is unavaliable at the moment. please try again later" ive been trying for for hours but keep getting the same message, anyone any help?

Ok will chase them now.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive finally got past byteshield

turn user account control off in security settings and there was no issue for me after that. before this byteshield would just sit in taskbar and not run in admin mode or just vreash normally

im really hoping i dont have to go through this faffing around on the next version as ive been a loyal player since original champ manager but the last couple of versions drm have really started to grate. id even rather go back to the scores in the manual system from the original

i bought FM 2011 this morning and downloaded and installed it about 4 hours ago and since then everytime i click on the desktop iceon all i get is an error message from byteshield saying " the server is unavaliable at the moment. please try again later" ive been trying for for hours but keep getting the same message, anyone any help?

That's the same message I have been getting since I bought the game on Sunday bud.

Hi All, I can feel your pain! Downloaded the game last weekend and it has worked until today when Byteshield has decided I have to re-enter my activation code. However despite there being no problems before it either crashes with a windows error or says the server is unavailable. Is there an estimated time for a fix for this problem? I find it amazing that such a problem could exist to be honest.

Hi All, I can feel your pain! Downloaded the game last weekend and it has worked until today when Byteshield has decided I have to re-enter my activation code. However despite there being no problems before it either crashes with a windows error or says the server is unavailable. Is there an estimated time for a fix for this problem? I find it amazing that such a problem could exist to be honest.

According to Muzchap Wednesday at the earliest before a fix is in place :(

But this is a totally new problem now. I dont get why its asking me to enter my activation code when i was playing it fine last night :grr:

Was doing it for a while last night on mine and apparently the ByteShield server was down then.

I just wish I could access the game, not really a lot to ask :(

My game worked fine up untill today. Today byteshield told me the product wasn't activated and asked me to reenter the activation code. When I do that I get a script error, I run the game on vista. I tried to follow the instructions in this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/234291-Gamersgate-Version-Crash-on-Startup?highlight=byteshield Now I get a message telling me I don't have an internetconnection and that it is switching to offline mode, which isn't much fun since I can't activate in offline mode. Considering I'm posting this without problem I don't really think there is anything wrong with my connection.

My game worked fine up untill today. Today byteshield told me the product wasn't activated and asked me to reenter the activation code. When I do that I get a script error, I run the game on vista. I tried to follow the instructions in this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/234291-Gamersgate-Version-Crash-on-Startup?highlight=byteshield Now I get a message telling me I don't have an internetconnection and that it is switching to offline mode, which isn't much fun since I can't activate in offline mode. Considering I'm posting this without problem I don't really think there is anything wrong with my connection.

That's the message I'm currently getting. The message I usually get is the server could not be contacted.

ByteShield = joke

Hi All,

There have been a few problems with the server and releasing the Patch tonight - I can only apologise.

Please download the patch, install and everything should work fine again (if it worked before)

If your copy still isn't working - I have been promised a fix for Wednesday (US time) - so after testing it will either be available late at night, like tonight, or first thing in the morning.

If you want to volunteer to BETA test this - please PM and I'll make sure you are added - so that you can verify that the fixes I have requested 'do' work.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding - we truly didn't expect these issues - not that's it any consolation to you - but we have a 99.5% activated rate at present, so the errors are definitely in the minority - but like I said - this doesn't make it any easier for you experiencing the issues.

It appears it is a ByteShield problem.

its a joke like, when you pay so much for a game you expect to be able to play it with no problems! hope evrything is resolved soon. im still getting the server unavaliable message, very very annoying!!

have you had any feedback as to why this is happening? and when the problem will be fixed?

Hi,

Yes - they have assured me this will be fixed by Wednesday - they are working on the problems.

The patch I am referring to is the 'Game Fix' patch - this does not address any of the activation fixes - if your game worked before, it will work after applying this patch, if it didn't work before, it's unlikely that this patch will resolve your issues as no changes have been made to ByteShield.

Thanks.

its a joke like, when you pay so much for a game you expect to be able to play it with no problems! hope evrything is resolved soon. im still getting the server unavaliable message, very very annoying!!

Hi Janc09,

Are you still getting the server unavailable message? Are you behind a 'proxy' or anything like that? I have checked the server logs and everything appears to be working fine?

Thanks

Hi Janc09,

Are you still getting the server unavailable message? Are you behind a 'proxy' or anything like that? I have checked the server logs and everything appears to be working fine?

Thanks

hey muzchap, as i am not to good with computers and all the software could u explain to me what a proxy is? and what i could try to do to try and sort this problem. thanks

Hi Janc09,

Thanks

Muzchap, that's the main error I have been getting since last Sunday mate.

Muzchap, I only started experiencing the 'server unavailable' issue on Friday but applying the 'game fix' patch has not sorted this problem. Seems weird that it worked all last week and yet now I am unable to play the game. Not sure if its just me or if this is causing problems for more people?

Additionally despite the server being unavailable it is also able to confirm that an incorrect code is not correct which seems odd too.

I appreciate your help with this- is there the possibility of an alternative drm until the byteshield issue is fixed so those experiencing problems can play the game in the meantime?

Muzchap, I only started experiencing the 'server unavailable' issue on Friday but applying the 'game fix' patch has not sorted this problem. Seems weird that it worked all last week and yet now I am unable to play the game. Not sure if its just me or if this is causing problems for more people?

Additionally despite the server being unavailable it is also able to confirm that an incorrect code is not correct which seems odd too.

I appreciate your help with this- is there the possibility of an alternative drm until the byteshield issue is fixed so those experiencing problems can play the game in the meantime?

ive been having this problem too. i downloaded FM on thurs and ever since then everytime i try to start it a byteshield error message comes up saying that it cant connect to the server and to try again later!! starting to **** me off, feels like 30 quid down the drain!!!!!!!

I have not play the FM 11 since i brought few days, i keep get a script error every time i ask enter the activation code. I try everything on this thread to solved this problem but still get the script error.

I want to know how to solved this problem and play the FM 11?

I cant okay when im offline because of byteshield. I get Football Manager 2010 11.1.1f158038 has stopped working, but when im online i works fine. Still need to turn off my firewall and anti virus, and run as admin to get it to start, but i works.

Is there any solution to this? becuase i want to be able to play every i go, there is a reason i got a laptop.

Why didnt you just release it like last time?

I cant okay when im offline because of byteshield. I get Football Manager 2010 11.1.1f158038 has stopped working, but when im online i works fine. Still need to turn off my firewall and anti virus, and run as admin to get it to start, but i works.

Is there any solution to this? becuase i want to be able to play every i go, there is a reason i got a laptop.

Why didnt you just release it like last time?

Unfortunately, the company we used last time - Uniloc - are no longer trading, hence the need to find a replacement DRM solution.

The fix has been promised for Wednesday, so after some testing, I'm sure we'll be able to get it out to you very soon after that.

Thanks

Unfortunately, the company we used last time - Uniloc - are no longer trading, hence the need to find a replacement DRM solution.

The fix has been promised for Wednesday, so after some testing, I'm sure we'll be able to get it out to you very soon after that.

Thanks

Hi Matt,

can you help me with a couple of questions please

1. My game is behaving very strangely since the hotfix - -before i had no problems, but after the fix i have about a 50% scces rating regarding loading the game up - sometimes it works, other times it just crashes back to the desktop

2. Everytime I start the game byteshield downloads something (255kbs) what is this??

p.s I have deelted all cache files etc and still no joy

Hi Matt,

can you help me with a couple of questions please

1. My game is behaving very strangely since the hotfix - -before i had no problems, but after the fix i have about a 50% scces rating regarding loading the game up - sometimes it works, other times it just crashes back to the desktop

2. Everytime I start the game byteshield downloads something (255kbs) what is this??

p.s I have deelted all cache files etc and still no joy

Hi,

I have escalated to ByteShield - we expect the fix on Wednesday to address these issues - can you PM me so that I can ensure that you are included in the BETA.

Thanks

Hi

this is my first post so it might aswell be a moan

i have a problem and i wondered if anyone has any advice what i should do next im reallly starting to feel llike i have been scamed out of my money by GAME

have sent 4 emails to the download company through game,

I purchased football manager 2011 on the game website on SUNDAY night i got confirmation email saying activation will take no longer than 12 hours 48 later im still waiting. I rang up game and i was informed that Metaboli have no contact number and this is the only way to get in contact. Im annoyed because the money has come out of my account and it would of been quicker to go down to the store or have it delivered it feels like at the moment i have been scamed out of my money with a game on my desktop i can't use

and im still waiting now.

any suggetions?

Hi, I've had no major problems with activating my game, except the known issue of having to run as an administrator to create the byeshield username/password; however, the one thing that I am wonder is, will this patch mean I no longer have to keep running the game in admin mode? Or is that something I will have to continue to do every time I start the game?

And out of interest, do these problems not occur with Steam (I've never used it before)?

I wrote byteshield this is what I received back and it worked:

A. RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

ByteShield require that the game is run from an account with

administrator capabilities. Game/application will not run if you start

it without administrator capabilities.

1. Uninstall game/application completely

2. Reinstall game/application

3. For Windows XP Go to Control Panel, select User Accounts, select

your account and change your account type to administrator, for Vista:

Left-Click on game/application .EXE and in the Compatibility tab,

select 'run as administrator' and then click Apply and for Win7: Right

Click on game/application icon and select 'run as administrator'. See

also http://www.byteshield.net/supportfaq.html#administrator.

4. Now run game/application using the shortcut or by double-clicking

on the game or application .EXE file.

5. In the first window click “New User”.

6. In the “New User Registration” window, create a new user name

(cannot be any you tried before with game/application) and password

(only letters (a-z + A-Z), numbers (0-9), and underscore (_) are

allowed). Then click “Ok”.

7. In the next window, enter the Digital Activation Code (DAC) which

you received at the time of the purchase. Enter it, click “Ok” and

Football Manager 2011 starts up.

B. INTERNET SECURITY INTERFERING

We have reports of the following Internet Security (anti-virus,

anti-spyware and firewall) products interfering with ByteShield:

• Norton (Symantec) puts the ByteShield “.BBZ” file in quarantine.

This issue has been solved by Symantec on November 9, 2010. They

removed detection of the ByteShield files from within its products

including Norton. The updated detection was distributed in the next

set of virus definitions, available daily, or weekly via LiveUpdate,

depending on Symantec product version, or daily from their website at

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html.

Please check your quarantine and then restore it by selecting 'exclude

this file from future scan', and update your Norton by clicking on the

link above and then try to start game/application.

• ZoneAlarm (Check Point). Check Point has fixed the bug and will

release the fix in their next product release. Until then will

game/application only work with ZoneAlarm uninstalled.

• Other products that we suspect some time interfere with ByteShield’s

“.BBZ” file include AVG, Kaspersky, McAfee and Sophos. Please check

your quarantine and then restore it by selecting 'exclude this file

from future scan' and then try to start game/application.

If that doesn't work we suggest you try the following steps:

1. Uninstall game/application completely

2. Turn off your Internet Security (anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall)

3. Reboot

4. Re-install game/application

5. Run game/application in Windows Administrator mode (as per A. above)

6. Now run game/application using the shortcut or by double-clicking

on the game/application .EXE file.

7. In the first window login with your login name and password, click

“Ok” and game/application should start up

8. Turn your Internet Security on again

See also http://www.byteshield.net/supportfaq.html#firewall. You may

also want to check out the Sports Interactive Community Forum at

http://community.sigames.com where Football Manager 2011 is discussed.

Please let us know how this works out.

It worked for me. good luck to all.

Hi, I've had no major problems with activating my game, except the known issue of having to run as an administrator to create the byeshield username/password; however, the one thing that I am wonder is, will this patch mean I no longer have to keep running the game in admin mode? Or is that something I will have to continue to do every time I start the game?

Same. Don't want to have to type in my admin password every time

Same. Don't want to have to type in my admin password every time

The patch will address:

1) Running as Administrator

2) Problems with Anti-Virus programs triggering a 'false-positive' (normally shown as 'ByteShield has stopped working'

3) Any script errors you are receiving when trying to 'activate' the game...

Thanks

Awesome. Hope the tests go well tomorrow. And thanks for being patient with us and Byte shield. We can be unruly and I understand BS can be unresponsive (or at least their server).

No, I should be thanking you! Through no fault of your own, you have been inconvenienced!

The patch is still in testing - we have to give a good few hours before releasing as BETA - once you guys have confirmed the effectiveness - we can then look to make a proper patch.

I must warn you - the process is a little 'manual' and will involve replacing files etc

Thanks

Archived