FM11 - Continental Dominance Challenge

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem is that NZ has a low reputation thus meaning you can dominate the league there and it means nothing on a larger scale. I've found the same issue with Wales on my previous save and it's really annoying to be doing so well but yet still have no one want to hire you.

And would it not be better for the challenge to have people start in the lowest league for their chosen countries as anyone could work their way up in England and then just join the top clubs in the continents and not really have to work too hard at the other champions leagues?

I think the problem is that NZ has a low reputation thus meaning you can dominate the league there and it means nothing on a larger scale. I've found the same issue with Wales on my previous save and it's really annoying to be doing so well but yet still have no one want to hire you.

And would it not be better for the challenge to have people start in the lowest league for their chosen countries as anyone could work their way up in England and then just join the top clubs in the continents and not really have to work too hard at the other champions leagues?

It isn't the case that you HAVE to start in NZ, the challenge 'rules' just state you start unemployed and take one of the first two jobs offered to you. Those could be in england, scotland, canada or anywhere else if you can get the offer. For me personally, NZ is not even a professional league so I like to start there as I can then work my way up through the football world providing I load enough leagues, whereas I feel if I started in England and got to a top 4 team, won the Euro CL everything else would be a step down from there. But anyway... what I'm trying to say is, the rules aren't too restricting and I think its very much a play it how you want challenge.

I the idea of the challenge is just to do it as you please, accepting a job in England if you were offered one would result in you being in league two so it would take a while to win the champions league. I just want people to have fun and do not want to restrict them too much on how they play.

New Zealand was a problem for me as I did not load enough leagues to leave there for another country.

Have tried to create an NZ-league in the FM2011-editor, but the game also crashed with this one.

Decided to do the challenge without the OFC Champions League.

Created a game with South Korea, South Africa, Mexico, Argentina and Spain.

Started june 2010 and applied for jobs in South Korea and Mexico. Was offered the job of the mighty Ulsan Hyundai Mipo Dockyard Dolphins FC playing in the second division, the Korean National League. The N-league runs from 27.3.2010 - 6.11.2010 which means that I took over in the midseason.

Squad

League Table

My only hope is that I'll get to play this game without any crashes....

Without created leagues there is a good chance your game will run fine. I have played one and half seasons with New Zealand and not had a crash yet.

I have changed the rules to now include the O-League as an optional part of the challenge. Seems only fair after the crashes that a few people have experienced when using various New Zealand downloads.

Ulsan Hyuondai Mipo Dockyard 2011

Hmmm. Looks like there's no promotion from the Korean N-League to the best Korean League, the K-League. Meaning this club has to be a steppingstone to a club in the K-League in order to qualify for the Asian Champions League.

(4 teams in the K-League qualify for the group-stage in Asian Champ. League)

The N-League season is composed of two sections with the 15 member clubs playing each other once in each section. The two section winners and the two runners-up from both stages progress to the post-season season playoffs to decide the league champion.

Halfway through the closing stage, its looking good: Six wins and a draw.

Closing Stage

Ulsan HMD 2011

In the first season with HMD, I qualified for the playoffs, but lost the semifinals after penalties:

Playoff

In season 2, I strenghtened the squad and we were a better team.

Leaguetable 2011

Qualified for the playoffs and this time we were succesfull. The semifinal was won 2-0 over Daejeon Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power (yes, they have some great clubnames here)

The final, played over 2 legs, was against BTC (Busan Transportation Corp.) First leg at home ende 0-0. Very disappointing result.

3 days later we went to Busan and won 3-2 and the trophy was secured. And promotion to the K-League.

Playoff

So far so good. Finances are OK. Had an transferbudget at 580K euro which is more than enough. Most of my signings has been on free transfers and I've only spend 200K euro on other transfers.

And then a very strange thing happens. The average attendance was 1175 in 2011. The stadium holds 5000 seats. And suddenly the board announce an expansion with 7000 seats at a cost of 9.3 Millions Euro!

Facilities

That must be some kind of bug. And a very annoying one.....

I might have to start when the 3rd patch is out and just mess around on my current game. I will simply holiday through the seasons and play the O-League and the World Club Cup for a few years and see what happens.

Ulsan HMD 2012

First season in the best Korean League, K-League is completed.

The top six sides at the end of the regular season will enter the championship playoffs, which decide final standings of the season among the six. In the first two matches, the third-placed team will face the sixth-placed team and the fourth-placed team will face the fifth-placed team, with the two winners then playing off for the right to face the second-placed team. The winner of that match will then progress to the two-legged championship playoff final where the first-placed side lie in wait, with the overall winner of the home and away series being crowned champions.

We finished third after a very surprising season (at least for the press, offcourse I knew different)

First playoff-round against Ulsan Huyndai went all the way to penalties after 2-2 in ordinary time and ET. Won the penalties 3-1.

Second round against FC Seoul was won 1-0. Very lucky since we had 4 goalattempts and only one on target.

Third rounbd against Suwon. Neither teams was able to score, so another penalty-shootout. Unfortunately this time we lost 3-4.

But no one's complaining. Finishing third means that we're playing in the Asian Champions League

th_leaguetable2012.jpg

Another bonus was the FA Cup.

In this, we went all the way to claim the trophy

th_FACup2012.jpg

The draw for the Asian Champ. League puts us in group with Central Coast Mariners (AUS), Shanghai Shenhua (China, ACL 2012 Runner Up) and Giuare Yokohama (JPN). Should be interesting.

Ulsan HMD 2013

It's been an exciting participation in the Asian Champions League so far.

Started to humiliate Central Coast Mariners at home: 5-1 founded with a hat-trick of my star striker Odafe Onyeka Okolie.

Then, away v Giurare Yokohama: 1-1 after a bad goal for the japanese in the 90th Minute.

Next game against Shanghai Shenhua. New victory with 3-0 in an otherwise close game.

Away game against Central Coast Mariners 2-1 and qualification to the next round is almost assured.

Draw v Yokohama again and eventually defeat to Shenhua, but first place in the group is ours.

In the second round we meet Saitama UTD at home. Leads 2-0 after 55 minutes, but then Saitama gets a penalty kick. 2-1. Fifteen minutes before end of time, the get the equalizer and the match goes into extra time. In the 112th minutes, Choi Dong-Ho secure the victory ....

Asian Champions League-results so far

Who we are to meet in the quarterfinals will be determined in August.

After 11 games we are No. 3 in the K-League, six points behind No. 1, Pohang Steelers

I've been waiting on this one and will continue to wait until downloadable leagues are all straightened out. I'm nervous hearing about crash problems. I finally figured out why my games were not working right-it was the downloaded logos. FM 11 works like a charm out of the box, but add any logos and crashes galore. I have successfully used editor changes, though not on the scale of a whole new playable league.

Did someone come out with an editor change that included loads of leagues around the world, or does one have to get all the ones they're interested in and choose them all at startup?

Also, when you get one of these leagues, are they set for a certain database version, or should they work for all? I have avoided patching since the release patch since things are working well for me so far.

They will work on any database I had trouble with the New Zealand league so I have not bothered with the challenge yet after spending hours and hours only to see the game crash. I am happy for people to do the challenge without the Oceanic continents champions league title. I have having more trouble with getting a job and SI are looking into the issue with saves that a few people have loaded up.

Koroum Update - 2012/13 Season

Our only goal in the Egyptian Premier League was survival and we achieved it, finishing the season in 12th place, 11 points clear of the drop (helped in no small part by the dismal form of the bottom 3). It came at a cost though as the finances are in poor shape and I'm not sure we can avoid 'second season syndrome'. Time to look for a new job methinks :)

Acid, would you be opposed to me trying this with some editor changes? As in, making the UEFA CL into league winners only, and fixing the continental alignment-so that countries actually play on the continent to which they belong. If anything, it would likely make it a much harder challenge, but if allowed, I could sort of combine a couple of long-term projects I have half a mind to try. If not, I probably will not get to both.

Ulsan HMD 2014

2014 was an amazing year for The Dolphins. 3 out of 5 possible trophies was secured:

League Cup: Reached the final, but lost 0-1 against Chunnam

K-League: Fininshed 2nd in the seasontable but managed to beat FC Seoul in the Playoff Final. First national title ever..

FA Cup: Won the FA Cup. Third time in a row.

Asian Champions League: Reached the final again. This time against Iranians Sepahan Esfahan. And this time the title was ours. 4-1 was the result at halftime and thats how it ended. First Continental Champions League title acquired..

Club World Championship: Winning the Asian Champ. League meant that we were qualified for the Club World Championship, held in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Won first match against local club Coton Sport, but in the semifinal, the opponent was Barcelona and we lost 0-1. Also lost the third place match against Cruzeiro, but only after penalties. Lots of prizemoney though :)

Got my first job as nationa coach. Applied for some jobs in july after the World Cup 2014. Ivory Coast had lost all 3 groupmatches and hence sacked their headcoach. Very surprisingly they accepted my application and now I'm trying to get some trophies for The Elephants....

Ulsan HMD 2014

2014 was an amazing year for The Dolphins. 3 out of 5 possible trophies was secured:

League Cup: Reached the final, but lost 0-1 against Chunnam

K-League: Fininshed 2nd in the seasontable but managed to beat FC Seoul in the Playoff Final. First national title ever..

FA Cup: Won the FA Cup. Third time in a row.

Asian Champions League: Reached the final again. This time against Iranians Sepahan Esfahan. And this time the title was ours. 4-1 was the result at halftime and thats how it ended. First Continental Champions League title acquired..

Club World Championship: Winning the Asian Champ. League meant that we were qualified for the Club World Championship, held in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Won first match against local club Coton Sport, but in the semifinal, the opponent was Barcelona and we lost 0-1. Also lost the third place match against Cruzeiro, but only after penalties. Lots of prizemoney though :)

Got my first job as nationa coach. Applied for some jobs in july after the World Cup 2014. Ivory Coast had lost all 3 groupmatches and hence sacked their headcoach. Very surprisingly they accepted my application and now I'm trying to get some trophies for The Elephants....

Nice one dude, I will be interested to see if you have any trouble getting a job in another continent now.

Yeah. Me too. After this season, I declared interest in Banfield from Argentina, and this was the response. So I probably has to apply some lower-rated teams.

That what has stopped me from starting the challenge. I would hate to win everything in Africa or Asia and not be able to get a job anywhere I guess this could be solved by adding some really low leagues.

Decided to resign my Ulsan HMD career and apply for a new job when something interesting would appear.

Got rejected from several clubs in premierdivisions in Argentina and Mexico. Didn't want to apply for secondary league-teams.

Instead I applied for a job in South Africa and now I'm managing Kaizer Chiefs.

Decided to resign my Ulsan HMD career and apply for a new job when something interesting would appear.

Got rejected from several clubs in premierdivisions in Argentina and Mexico. Didn't want to apply for secondary league-teams.

Instead I applied for a job in South Africa and now I'm managing Kaizer Chiefs.

Good luck with the Kaizer Chiefs.

Might we have to have some second-tier leagues to get jobs? It would add length to the challenge, which we don't need, but would help keep the career going.

I think once you start to move round second division jobs will become necessary for success.

I have won the O-League with Auckland City and have managed to move to England as manager of Charlton after 10 games I quit and moved to Portsmouth who were also in league one. Using this time to build a reputation and then move out of Europe to try and grab a second continental trophy.

Ran into a problem with my editing plan. As far as I can tell, it is not possible to change a nation's continental competition.

For example, I want to have countries compete based on geography, so Australia had to go back to Oceania. This is fine, but when I change the continent rules so that the O-League takes a team from Australia, the game crashes. Both the O-League and the ANC are trying to take from the same country. Since you can't edit more than one set of continental rules on the same .xml, I'm stuck with the current alignment. Oh well.

Activating leagues is actually really simple. It may not have the accuracy of the default leagues, but they're functional. I can still change the format of the CLs, too. I just have to give up part of my ideal.

At this rate, I should be able to start my proper game soon.

Had an idea about my above problem last night but it fell apart. Waste of my time . . .

I could still change the CL formats, but I think now that it might be better to keep things mostly realistic. I'll still keep my fantasy US league (spent too much time getting that set up almost perfect to throw away, and I'm not going to use it as part of the challenge-I'll have that be my manager's career destination).

I will get whatever nations I want to use activated tonight and hopefully start playing tomorrow night.

What kind of spread of league reps do we need to have to get jobs? I don't think my system can handle too many countries without things getting slower than my tolerance level.

I haven't updated on my progress at Wanderers in Uruguay here yet so here goes:

2013/14

The season before I took over, Wanderers had finished near the bottom of the Primera Division, saved from relegation only by the complex 'accumulated points' system. However, the squad was better than theie league form suggested and I was able to turn things around fairly quickly, leading the team to a top 6 finish in both the opening and closing stages. That in turn earned us a place in the post-season Liguilla (a 6 team tournament to decide the qualifiers for the South American continental competitions) an our 2nd placed finish earned us a spot in the Copa Libertadores Preliminary Round. :thup:

Full season report here

2014/15

Our Lİbertadores campaign was short-lived as we fell at the first hurdle to Brazilian side Internacional. The league was better as we topped the standings for the opening stage. Too mnay draws cost us in the closing stage as we finished 7th but we were 3rd in the overall table (confusing I know!) and therefore earned a spot in the Liguilla once again. This time we did enough to win the tournament and therefore enter next season's Copa Libertadores in the group stage.

Full season report here

FINALLY!

Nations selected (all top division only, except England also includes the Championship):

England, Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Cameroon, New Zealand (note: my created file has some of the same problems above and is probably very far from accurate. But it's a working league that feeds the O-League, so I'll take it. Cameroon and Japan as well are probably not the most realistic, but I was more interested by them then the default Africa/Asia options). I think this should provide a good enough spread so that my reputation can build sufficiently. I guess I'll find out as I go.

I have also loaded a custom created US league, but I will not use it for this challenge. It will be where my guy "retires." I also want to see how it develops years down the road with other nations selected (all my testing was done with just the one league loaded for speed's sake). Database is small, for a total of apprx: 17,000 players.

Name: Fred Danger

Nationality: American

Starting Date: USA February 2010

I will make an exception to the "you must take one of the first two jobs" rule. I won't consider any offers from my US League until the challenge is complete.

And Fred Danger begins his managerial career at . . .

Nagoya Grampus!

Wow, I thought it would be hard to get a J-League job, but I guess the license issues made it so every team needed a manager, increasing my prospects. It came down to them or Antlers. Though Antlers have had more success overall, Grampus offered a much better financial package, personally and for the team. The offer was 3 years, $175,000. Transfer budget is 7.25M, payroll budget 7.75M.

Some highlights from the real team's Wiki page: they play in the J-League's oldest serving stadium as well as a newer, larger one (I don't know if this is reflected in-game). They won the J-League in the real 2010 season-high expectations for me! They were manager by Arsene Wenger in the 90s. They are one of only five teams to have played in the J-League since its 1993 inception.

Nagoya itself is the third-largest city in Japan and is the country's auto center. In fact NGE was originally the company team for Toyota. It is located on the southern coast in roughly the middle of Honshu.

I was hired on a Monday and the J-League's opening match day is this weekend! The transfer window just closed, so I'll have to take the default squad as far as I can. The bad news is that the default squad is, again due to licensing, rather weak. The good news is that everyone else in the league is in the same position I am. Since I know nothing about the team yet I accepted my assistant's recommendations for captaincy: So Yuhei Tsuji is my captain and Kentaro Sakai is vice captain. Next step is to figure out what kind of team I have.

I came across a problem with my setup, so I have to start over. I wonder if I should try again where I was, or if I should reconsider my setup.

After trying the J-League for a little while, though it's neat to have Japan active, when all the teams have no staff and have only newgen youth players, it takes away from the experience. So now I wonder if I should stick to the real leagues, some of which I don't find interesting, or using a self-activated league that's stripped of its uniqueness.

FM10 had a database that included all the real Japanese players and staff at the their proper clubs, not sure if there is something similar for FM11 or not.

I have won the O-League and have now moved on to Wellington Phoenix via Charlton, Portsmouth and Brighton. It's 2018 and I have only got one continental trophy so far I think I had 3 by this date on FM10, this might take a while.

Archived