Creating the Cup Winners Cup

scofi_b

in making a cup winners cup...and was wondering if anyone was planning to make this

i managed to get all the teams i wanted..well all the fa cup winners from around the world..but still wont happen...comes up with english fa cup rules not made :S

so was just gonna see if anyone had managed to make one or was starting :) would be awesome to have an extra competion to try and win

Hi Peacemaker.

Any chance of telling us exactly how far you got and what problems you've encountered? Sounds like you've done pretty well so far!

Also, maybe the title of this thread could be changed to include Cup Winners Cup, might attract more attention and input then?

Well I've managed to get three seperate working Euro competitions. I used the existing comps, reactivated the CWC and that means of course it keeps the history of the competitions. It works, by which I mean it adds the correct number of teams and if the leagues are running even seems to use the correct ones. If the leagues arent running, it seems to use random teams but they don't seem to be outrageously random. (and that of course only really affects the first year because we know who won last years leagues all around Europe)

I've set the Champions Cup and CWC to have only one rep from each country plus the holders, and have managed to set the UEFA with a tiered number of entrants depending on how strong each country is. Except Liechtenstien whom I've had to exclude as with them in the CWC just wasnt showing up.

As well as the Liechtenstein problem, which is fairly minor and could possibly be solved by creating those leagues I guess, other problems are that somehow I haven't been able to set a registration date and there may be a few other minor problems. Basically I'd say I was reasonably happy, so I'll upload the files and someone else can improve them if they wish because I've gotten I think as far as I can go. Possibly the main problem is the registration dates and squad sizes but thats probably fairly simply and I'm just missing something, and also I'm not quite sure yet how co-efficients work because I haven't seen any.

New Euro Comps

Hi Peacemaker,

Just to say my laptop is currently out of action. Once it's back I'll be trying this out for sure!

What do you think are the biggest areas to improve? Also, have you found any interference with the Intertoto cup, Super Cup etc?

I dont actually have the inter-toto type cup or indeed the super cup running yet, but it shouldnt really interfere I expect both are easy to add, and you do need to re-add them it seems if you want them.

One problem I realised was that, I've set clubs in the qualifying round of the Champions Cup to recieve money for getting to the group stage but if the clubs get a bye - which were the top 11 nations - they dont get that cash.

Would be interesting to know if anyone has taken the file and improved it, I'm not too sure about the advanced editing area which I think would greatly be of help.

Yeah thats right, with the second file I've set the top 11 countries to have 2 Champions Cup places, 4 UEFA and 1 CWC. First file will only have 1 champions cup entrant from each country, but the top 11 get automatically to the group stage.

The UEFA cup goes 4-3-2-1 down a set list of countries. The idea is to make the Champions Cup more for actual champions, but you can easily change these numbers in the editor.

Another question for you Peacemaker, how did you set the level of revenue for each competition and do matches get moved for TV?

Matches dont get moved for TV as they don't irl either. I tried to make it like the old days, CWC on Tuesday, Champions on Wednesday and UEFA on Thursday (or it may have been the other way round ;)) But the level revenues are just set in prize money because I couldnt see a way to set a level of TV money to shared between the clubs. There possibly is a way to do that in the advanced editor but I dont see it yet.

Remember, if you dont like anything about the set up here you can always try and change it ;)

And James, there dont seem to be any game breaking problems down the line that I've found yet.

OK Peacemaker, I've had a look at the file (I'm more interested in the first file, just one Champion in the Champions cup) and it looks great!

I have been making some tweaks and exploring certain things though and I now have a few questions:

Firstly, did you actually find the TV revenue tab or just choose not to use it? There is one in the advanced editor and there is an option to set the level of TV money for reaching the group stages. If you hadn't seen this then presumably this is something that could be implemented (replacing the workaround of prize money).

Secondly, is the ranking of nations based on UEFA Coefficients? This would be preferable as this is a dynamic thing whereas the list currently set up is presumably static and fixed into that order, meaning that even if, say Ukraine, were to develop the best league in Europe, they would never increase their UEFA Cup placings? Or maybe I am wrong on this. As I haven't had time to run a holiday game test I cannot test whether this is the case.

Thanks so much for the work you've already done though Peacemaker, it looks amazing!

Oh, and just quickly, where did you get the levels of prize money from? Or did you guesstimate?

Thanks.

Thanks OUFC!

Iirc I did try the TV tab revenue thinh in the advanced editor but I cant remember now did it work or not the way I wanted it to, but certainly worth exploring. Another possible option is to directly edit the xml file. Prize money btw is total guesswork, I suspect its a tad on the high side?

The rankings are based on the league rating of each country, as there seems no way to do with by co-efficients that I can see - and if there is I would be over the moon if someone could tell me how ;) - however, these ratings are supposed to be dynamic now and I guess theres two ways to test for sure. The teams round about 42-46 ish, the ones that overlap the 3-4 places are pretty close together and should see some movement. On the other hand I suppose just set all countries to the same levels and see what happens. Obviously, if they can't rise thats a problem, although mainly for the UEFA Cup as it would only affect the seeding for the group stage to the Champions Cup.

Yes, that's what I thought. I may explore the TV revenue side of things and I think I've found some reliable information about how much a team can earn from the competition so will use that.

With regards to the list ranked by league standard, I would presume this is not dynamic as it is simply a list organised by league standard by yourself. This is confirmed when changing a nations league standard in the editor, the nation in question retains it's place in the list. I will investigate further though.

Yup that initial list was ordered by me, based on league rep as that seemed to make the most sense, so wherever a team is in that list is how the game picks them up, for the first season at least. Whether the game then re-orders that based on league rep in future years is the question and so far at least I have no idea, and if it doesnt do that then it kind of is a bit crap. I guess unless you then went down the road of having a set number of teams in the UEFA for all countries, but it still does affect the seeding for the Champions Cup qualifying. For me anyway, that is the biggest problem because finances can always be tweaked to whatever seems most sensible.

If you can either send me your tweaked file or update your findings here it would be most appreciated.

Just to say that everything is working just fine, the one problem I am having (I am holidaying to test the file properly) is that the league table doesn't 'forget' who has been in the UEFA cup, it doesn't seem to have this problem with the other two comps.

What I mean is in the inf column of the league table you ened up with loads of teams with the UEAFA Cup abbreviation next to their name, even if they were in the comp three years ago, but not anymore.

Anyone else found this, and more importantly is there a fix? I would guess the best solution would be to get a skin mod that removed the inf column.

You need to upgrade to change the date of the season on July 15. I changed my way of drawing the teams that replaced the random by seeding, I've added it to the Cup Winners' Cup representative of Liechtenstein, and everything looks pretty interesting ;)

EDIT

It disappears before the season, but at the end of the season, there are again about to participate in european competition...

So if I add a season update of July 15th to the UEFA Cup it won't do it? I'll test it out when I get home, in the meantime I've been using a workaround of using a .lnc file to remove the three-letter name which I'm reasonably happy with, would be better to fix it properly though.

Also, out of interest, how have you changed the drawing system?

in making a cup winners cup...and was wondering if anyone was planning to make this

i managed to get all the teams i wanted..well all the fa cup winners from around the world..but still wont happen...comes up with english fa cup rules not made :S

so was just gonna see if anyone had managed to make one or was starting :) would be awesome to have an extra competion to try and win

Hi, I haven't read through this thread, but I can maybe help.

I have made a World Club Cup (see one of the other threads in this forum). You could try to edit my cup. Open it and set the cup to get teams from "The FA cup winners"... I cant remember where it is in the editor (nation rules or in the actual competition), but it's only one quick edit.

I actually wanted to make a World Cup Winners Cup this weekend, but it you want to make it, go ahead :)

In the editor, instead of random teams set the spacing by reputation at the draw for each round. This works partially... is actually part of the teams seeded, but some do not and can meet each other for example, Arsenal vs Celtic in the first round...

I like it not being seeded though, makes it more interesting!

What about the problem of it not erasing the three letter abbreviation next to clubs in the league table, did you say you'd fixed that? It didn't seem to work for me.

I found a small bug.

If a team winning the league and Cup, finalists will not play in the Cup Winners Cup, but... the second team in the league...

EDIT

and I changed the number of matches in the UEFA Cup final for 2...

seems to work fine for me at least at the start as pompey are in the cup winners cup

I've been playing around with my own version (very similar to Peacemaker's) of the European competitions but I can't seem to find a (satisfactory) solution to a problem which bothers me a lot. When the winner of the Cup Winners Cup also wins the domestic title, it will naturally take part in the Champions League the following year. But in the continental competition rules I've set that the holders of Cup Winners Cup title will also take part in the cup to defend their title. As one team can only participate in one competition, the domestic champion will play in the higher priority Champions League.

This means that the game will for some reason select the club with highest reputation (Barcelona) to fill the place of the previous winner. And it means that Barcelona will play in two European competitions almost every year.

The easiest and by far best of the worst solution would probably be to set it so that the previous winner doesn't qualify for the Cup winners cup. But I think it's not fair to not let a team defend its title, especially in a case where they fail to qualify for Champions League or even Europa League.

Do you have any suggestions?

Archived