dafuge's FM11 challenge

FC United - 2012/13 - Mid-Season Report

Things are going really well so far! My strikers have both already matched the total made by our top goalscorer last season with only half of this year gone. I drew a load of games to begin with but as the new signings got settled results started to pick up and I'm now sitting in 5th spot and haven't lost a game in a while. :)

League Table

Here's hoping I can report a promotion later this evening!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On an amusing note, I just got a message that said Chelsea had fired Mancini. When I clicked on the prem to see what was going on, I saw that Chelsea is 8th! with only 8 games left in the season. They are 10 points behind the last champions league spot and 6 away from even qualifying for the Uefa Cup. That just made me day as a United fan. Top 4 = Manchester United, Arsenal, City, and Tottenham. Liverpool is 5th followed by Villa and Blackburn.

Edit: Liverpool has also sacked Roy Hodgson and brought Gerard Houillier back to manage the club.

Oh and just in case everyone elses hides from GD, a hotfix has been released.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/237501-Patch-11.1.1-Now-Available!-Aka-Hotfix

Thanks for the update! I have been avoiding GD and several other forums on here :) Doesn't look like anything which would affect any of our games. This is probably a good thing for everyone, though I was almost hoping for a reason to restart after my rubbish start lol.

Amusingly enough, It looks like one of the 11.1.1 patch notes is a Tim Cahill fix which everyone was complaining about since the demo came out. So sad lol.

On an amusing note, I just got a message that said Chelsea had fired Mancini. When I clicked on the prem to see what was going on, I saw that Chelsea is 8th! with only 8 games left in the season. They are 10 points behind the last champions league spot and 6 away from even qualifying for the Uefa Cup. That just made me day as a United fan. Top 4 = Manchester United, Arsenal, City, and Tottenham. Liverpool is 5th followed by Villa and Blackburn.

Liverpool have just hired Mick McCarthy in my game and paid £1m for the pleasure. Some odd, odd things afoot.

Thanks for the update! I have been avoiding GD and several other forums on here :) Doesn't look like anything which would affect any of our games. This is probably a good thing for everyone, though I was almost hoping for a reason to restart after my rubbish start lol.

From the looks of it non-footballing costs in lower leagues have been tweaked and the criteria for switching from semi-pro to pro has also been tweaked.

Liverpool have just hired Mick McCarthy in my game and paid £1m for the pleasure. Some odd, odd things afoot.

Mick McCarthy eh? ... from a United fan's perspective thats absolutely wonderful news! :p

I just updated my other post, they went back to Gerard Houllier in my game just now

From the looks of it non-footballing costs in lower leagues have been tweaked and the criteria for switching from semi-pro to pro has also been tweaked.

I think you read down to far and got to the 11.1.0 patch notes which they also included again for some reason. I did the same thing the first read through. The 11.1.1 patch notes are only ~ 15 lines long.

I think you read down to far and got to the 11.1.0 patch notes which they also included again for some reason. I did the same thing the first read through. The 11.1.1 patch notes are only ~ 15 lines long.

I did think that was a very long list for a hotfix...

Preseason friendlies - travel to Thailand and get paid 18k for it, nice bonus for a friendly!

I've just managed to finish my first season as the manager of Evesham. [Edit: I can't get the photobucket insert to work here so no pics.]]

Seems I was a bit harsh on my players at the half way stage as they performed pretty well in the second half finishing 10th in the end - only 7 points off the playoffs. Guylain N-Dubz N-Dubz was a real hero comfortably the best player. We beat the eventual champions 3-0 at home which was the highlight of our brilliant home form - only lost once there all season. Unfortunately away form was much patchier.

I found a really good scout who'll take £55 a week - David Bridgewater JPA:15 JPP:12, and brought in about 10 new and hopefully better players all over the park. Nicola Saric has been mentioned here before but with acceleration of 16 I can only expect him to tear BSN defences to shreds! I'm also hoping for good things from central midfielders Josh Rees and Billy Goodard. (only 1 of the original members of my squad are still with me 1 season on!)

Despite not exceeding my wage budget I lost £140k last year (my debt is 140% of turnover!!!) so lining up this season I aim to be £500 under to try and plug the leaky holes in our coffers.

For some reason, despite finishing 10th and apparently strengthening my squad my odds of winning the title are 100/1, compared with 33/1 last year, and the media prediction is once again dead last?? I hope I can safely ignore this!

Liverpool fired Hodgson and hired Tony Mowbray (!), Chelsea fired Ancelotti for being in 4th at Christmas, Mancini was fired at Christmas for lying in 7th, Harry was fired by Spurs, Aston Villa fired their manager for finishing 12th - it was definitely a year of demanding chairmen!

Leamington FC Season 2011/2012 Review

Media Predicted Finish 18th Actual 15th League Table Position Graph

Transfer Spend £0 Transfer Recieved £12,000

1st Team Squad - I have a few good players & a lot of promising young players but overall I need to find some good wingers or change formation to 4-3-3.

Best Av Rating - Callum Bagshaw 7.03

Top Goal Scorer - Callum Bagshaw 14

Top Assists - Callum Bagshaw 11

Bank Balance at 5th June - (£4,840)

Overall a very poor end to the season after being just 6 points off the playoffs at the end of January, this was mainly due to my 3 best strikers all being out injured at the same time for between 1 - 3 months from mid February.

Next Seasons Goals - 1. Make Playoffs 2. Get to 1st Round of FA Cup. 3. Reduce the wage bill.

Chances of acheaving next seasons goals. 1. 75% 2. 50% 3. 20%

I will try to raise some much needed money with a few pre season games against premiership teams reserves, I played a couple last year & they raised about £7,000 per game.

So yeah, I just got relegated...

I think I may come back to the same save some time later on, but for now I'll give it a rest. If I don't go back to it, I'll definately start a new game later on.

Anyway, good luck to all those who are doing this!

Oh Crap! Simon Jordan is my new chairman in my Tooting & Mitcham save... thankfully he has allowed me to keep my job and has invested 150k in investing in new youth facilities!

Tight git, could have given me some transfer funds!!

Lucky! I'd take the youth facilities over transfer funs anyday! No one you can spend transfer money on will sign anyways :p

So yeah, I just got relegated...

I think I may come back to the same save some time later on, but for now I'll give it a rest. If I don't go back to it, I'll definately start a new game later on.

Anyway, good luck to all those who are doing this!

Unlucky Satio. Happens to us all - in my Heybridge game in 09 I got to the Premier league (after 14 seasons) and got destroyed in my first season going straight back down again. Make sure you come back to it!

520px-FCUM_logosvg.png

FC United of Manchester

Season 1 - 2011/12 – Blue Square North

After last year's attempt with FC United I am determined to take these boys the whole way. I've grown to love FC United after last year's long game with them, so I'm not just jumping on a bandwagon.

The season was just a huge success from start to finish. I never did hit the top spot until just two games before the end of the season but I was always on the tail of Boston Utd and sat 2nd and 3rd for the majority of the season. Anytime Boston would take a defeat or a draw, I'd fail to pick up my 3 points but finally with just 3 games to go I managed that and from then on out the title was in the bag. So pleased with how my team has performed, and the depth I have, especially in strikeforce.

Possibly the highlight of my season though, was my superb FA Cup run as seen below. I made it all the way to a Fifth Round Replay and was so unlucky not to make it to the Quarters. Was so proud of the boys as we defeated 2 League 1 and 2 League 2 teams and took Crystal Palace to a draw away from home. Shame we didn't progress further but it helped the finances immensely.

Blue Square North Table | Position Graph

Transfers (+ Jerome Federico and Connor Ripley) | Squad

Finances | FA Cup Run

Top Players

Aarron Racine (DC) - With an average rating of 7.21 this man was perhaps my star of the season, he was a saviour at the back and also got 8 goals to his name in 47 appearances which was a good return for a central defender. I'm hoping he can keep up as we step it up a level to the BSP

Chris Fagan (AM C, ST) - The top scorer, with 20 goals to his name in 47 appearances. He was brilliant throughout and when he wasn't going through goal scoring spells, he was supplying other players with him, an all round great player as shown by his 7.17 average rating. Again, fingers crossed he can make it in the BSP

Craig McShea (AM L, ST) - One of my four strikers, he finished with 11 goals to his name in 48 appearances, not quite the best but his 7.06 average rating proves he has been doing well all season. He is the man I took from the BSN to the Premiership last year, with him still featuring in the Premiership and advancing so crazily well.. I'm not so optimistic this year, but hopefully he'll stick with us for a few more seasons!

Christian Montano (ST) - Another of my strikers, his season was crippled by injury sadly, but despite this he got 11 goals in 31 games which was very pleasing when you have a machine up front like Chris Fagan, great player finishing with a 7.0 rating

Jack Dean (DC) - Another great defender, scoring three goals over the course of his 41 game season and recieving a 7.08 average rating. He has been great in partnership with Racine throughout the season and I hope their partnership is able to continue

Next Season

My aim for next season is to stay in the BSP, anything more would be amazing but I'd rather just consolidate my team and survive.

Career Overview

Season          League                League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12         Blue Square North         1st           Promoted - Champions 

FC United of Manchester BSN 2011/2012 season review.

Excellent first season for FC United. We started off well, leading the title race in the first month. Unfortunately we started drawing too many games and eventually Histon took over. They then just ran away with the title, never getting knocked off that top spot all season. Around January we looked like it would be a struggle to stay in the playoff places but with Chris Fagan and Andrew Milne banging them in we managed to get a good run going towards the end of the season and finished in second place.

League table

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/8411/bluesquarebetnorthinfor.png

I rested most of the first team for the last league game against Northwitch, three days before the first leg of the BSN play-off semi-final and it paid off, managing a 2-2 away draw against a team I lost to last time out in the league, Droylsden. The home leg was all ours, comfortably beating them 2-0 and sending us to the final against Telford. The final was played at Gigg Lane in front of a large FC United home crowd with a big following from Telford aswell. A 4-0 home win sealed FC United's place in the BSP next season.

Play-off final

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6581/fcunitedvafctelfordinfo.png

Star player

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8073/chrisfaganprofileattrib.png

Squad

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7085/fcunitedofmanchesterfcu.png

Liverpool fired Hodgson and hired Tony Mowbray (!), Chelsea fired Ancelotti for being in 4th at Christmas, Mancini was fired at Christmas for lying in 7th, Harry was fired by Spurs, Aston Villa fired their manager for finishing 12th - it was definitely a year of demanding chairmen!

In my game Liverpool fired Hodgson, Man City fired Mancini, Liverpool hired Mancini and are now about to sack him at they're 16th in the league :(

In my game Spurs won the premiership in 2010/11, David Moyes is Chelsea manager, Allardyce replaced him at Everton, and Alan Shearer replaced him at Blackburn (and won 2011/12 manager of the year), Avram Grant is at Man City after Mancini got sacked for finishing 10th. And in the past two seasons Elmander at Bolton and Steven Fletcher at Wolves have been the top scorers!

And Avram Grant just got the sack from City as they are in 11th.

Oh my days...favourite FM match I have ever played in.

FA Cup 2nd Round at the Pilot Ground

Hastings Utd 5 - Luton 4

With 4 goals from Borini (who I must say was close to not making the squad as he's been playing terribly) we came back from 4-0 down against League 1 opposition. Utterly delighted! I can't upload the game highlights to youtube though - too many goals perhaps?

Oh bugger - we're going to Anfield in the 3rd round

Terk: Liverpool in 16th is music to my ears :p I'll bet Torres wants out badly atm, too bad your not high enough yet to pick him up cheap :p

KLH84: Away ties to a big club in the 3rd round is the ultimate goal for a lower league team. Sure you'll get smashed, but it will pay for the next several seasons :) 3rd round is really all you can ask for. At least you got the money draw and didn't go out to a like league 1 side at home.

I'm absolutely cursed as far as goalkeeps go. After finally ditching Mr. Butterfingers we've been fairly solid in goal. However in a very critical match, my new keeper has now decided to come running WAY out of his net. He headed the ball straight to the opposition striker who chipped him to put us a goal down :(

Great result! And what do you mean 'Oh bugger'!?!?! Think of the money!
Terk:KLH84: Away ties to a big club in the 3rd round is the ultimate goal for a lower league team. Sure you'll get smashed, but it will pay for the next several seasons :) 3rd round is really all you can ask for. At least you got the money draw and didn't go out to a like league 1 side at home.

I'm thinking of the morale!

5100070.png

Hastings Utd

Season 1 - 2011/12 – Blue Square South

Prediction - 22nd

Actual - 1st

Having completed this challenge on FM10 with Kings Lynn i was determined to get off to the best possible start and hopefully learn from some of my mistakes,

The season started with the usual revolving door of players into the club, and just as many heading in the opposite direction, i did however get a bit carried away with the whole free transfer market and an astonishing 29 players joined the Hastings Revolution, Now i must have played some of pre-season late at night or after a few beers because a large proportion of these players had very little match action as they were simply not good enough, but some rose to the challenge and performed extremely well.

Note to self: Dont buy players when drunk or tired

The season it self ended in great success as little Hastings Utd managed to finish in 1st place and get a chance to step up and test themselves in the Blue Square Premier. The season started slowly, mainly down to the settling down period of all the players and we found ourselves 8pts of the Play Off Places in January, But all seemed to come together in February as the team settled and the players began to show what they could do, a combination of some fantastic form from us and a total capitualtion by Chelmsford and Havant & Waterlooville allowed us to push through and guarentee top spot with two games to spare, a good job really as the team managed to slump to 2 defeats in the last 2 games, maybe job done and they were already on holiday safe in the knowledge they would be at a higher level next season

The cups unfortunately were a none event as we were quickly dispatched from both the FA Cup and the FA Trophy in the early rounds

This had the added effect of seeing my finances plummet and there is no sign of them improving at this stage

Top Players

Christian Montano - 25 goals in 45 games with 10 assists

Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu - 25 goals in 37 games with 8 assists

Tasos Kapsalopodas - A rock in the Middles of the park, passed well and got his foot in when needed, Club Captain

Sulaiman Bangura - Immense at the back, the main reason we had the best defensive record in the League

Adam Street - Consistent Keeper who was always there to pull out a top notch save when really needed

Next Season

Aim for next season can be summed up in one word - Survive

Career Overview

[left]Season        League                        League Finish            Achievements[/left]

2011/12       Blue Square North             1st Promoted             Champions

FC United - 2012/13 - Post-Season Report

League Table - 3rd - Play-off Final Runners Up

I would have loved to be able to report a promotion this season but sadly it wasn't meant to be. An injury to my star player prior to the Play-offs made things difficult and some sloppy defending along with a bit of a dodgy penalty led to us falling 3-0 behind within the first hour of the final. The team tried to produce a spirited comeback with a goal shortly after the hour and then were given a penalty but sadly it was missed and that was pretty much the end of the game for us.

Although I'm obviously very disappointed that we didn't manage to get promoted, this season has left me feeling very positive about next year and I'm quite certain that we should be able to make it next time.

Top Goalscorer - Nadir Ciftci - 27 goals in 50 games

A great first season for the striker! An honourable mention must go to his strike partner Toni Vastic who put away an equally impressive 21 in 45.

Star Player - Francis Laurent - 18 goals, 13 assists, 7.27 average rating and a broken leg in 47 games

I honestly expected it would be the other winger that ended up being the star man this year but Francis surprised me. I think the second his leg snapped was the moment our Play-off dreams were doomed and I'm really hoping he will make a full recovery in time for next season.

Final thoughts - On past versions of FM when I've played these kinds of games I have tended to have no issue whatsoever getting a team promoted at the first time of asking. I'm finding this version quite challenging and have to say I'm having a great time trying to get things right.

What do you guys look for in Ass. Managers when starting your games?

I mostly go for motivation, then anything extra is a bonus. I (like many here I think) got Jo Tessem as player/ass man and he seems decent. But once I got to the BSP the class of staff available is much higher, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The Perfect Storm has arrived, and its an absolute monster.

Lead up to the storm

Starting the day (my day), Chippenham were mired in 13th, with 7 games left to play and 10 points off the final playoff spot. We needed a massive run on our part, and everyone else to fall flat on their face. The squad responded beautifully and did its part, taking 14 of a possible 18 points in the next 6 games. We scored 11 goals and conceeded only 4 during the period, with 2 cleansheets. Despite playing well, we also got lucky. We needed help and we got it. Just about everyone above us stumbled somewhere over this period and the gaps at the top narrowed.

The storm arrives

The storm is here and it will all come down to 1 day. The final day of the season is always special, but this year it will be truly epic. 2nd through 9th is seperated by only 5 points, while 3rd through 8th are seperated by only 3. With only Bromley in second already securing its spot, 7 teams go into the day with a possibility of clinching a spot. Chippenham sit 7th, 2 points outside the last spot. We will again need to do our part and again require help if we are to sneak our way into one of those coveted spot. To make it just a bit more difficult, one of my midfield backups was sent off late in the last game, so we will field a weak bench. For the most part, goal difference is also not on our side and will make others faultering even more critial (or we need to score 10+ goals :p ).

League Table

Final Day fixture List

Notable Games

Chippenham (7th) vs Newport Co. (3rd) - We must win to have any shot at all. Unfortunantly NewPort Co. go into the game with a +10 goal difference on us, so we either must win by 11, or they must also be promoted for Chippenham to go up.

Dartford (18th) vs Welling (4th) - Dartford really must pull of a massive upset here. Welling is also well above me on GD, so even a draw here should see them qualify and make it near impossible for me. Dartford secured their BSS survival in their last match, but hopefully they will want to end their season with a home win.

Dover (5th) vs Braintree (17th) - Ouch, again we need a massive upset by Braintree, this time on the road. Chippenham and Dover start level on GD however, so even a Braintree draw will allow us to jump Dover with a win.

St. Albans (12th) vs. Eastleigh (6th) - Eastleigh must lose or be held to a draw for Chippenham to jump them. Eastleigh hold a massive advantage in GD so they can not win.

Hampton & Richmod (8th) vs Bishop's Stortford (10th) - Only of mild importance. As long as Bishop's stortford doesn't lose by more than 6 goals, H&R can't jump us if we win.

What must happen for Chippenham to clinch

Chippenham must win.

Welling must Lose.

Dover can not win.

Eastleigh can not win.

H&R can not gain more than +6 GD on Chippenham.

Sounds easy enough right? :p Actually all in all I'm very happy with the comeback the lads have made leading into the final match. A win on the final day regardless of all other outcomes would make this season a success even if we do not get promoted. I think my tactic is finally tweaked to where I want it to be. My wingers are finally running at people and generating chances via cross, the defense is finally coming together and holding teams to less than a goal a game, and I have a reliable goalkeeper in between the posts. If we don't get promoted via the play-offs this year, I'm confident we can secure the Championship and automattic spot next season. Of course I'd still rather be promoted this year!

FC Halifax Season Review: Season 2011/2012

It was not long ago the small town of Halifax were debating whether they would see their local team play football at The Shay again, and although this depressing thought was thankfully banished due to the intervention of local man David Bosomworth, the level of football being played at the ground was severely diminished.

However, it appears that the Shaymen's fortunes may finally be looking up – after promotion from the Evostik Premier Division last season under the guidance of Neil Aspin, it was widely expected that, with unknown prospect Jake Allingan at the helm, the new boys would head straight back where they came from – after all, it's only recently that they almost ceased to exist.

Despite the scepticism which greeted Halifax's arrival into the Blue Square Bet North division, the Shaymen confounded their critics by defiantly upsetting the odds on many an occasion and finishing in the secure mid-table position of 12th.

After a shaky start which saw Allingan's steeds languishing towards the bottom of the grid, the Shay saw better results after the halfway point of the season to stop the criticism emanating from the stands, resulting in a record setting run of nine games unbeaten to stop the critics.

Player of the season award must go to Jamie Vardy, the one light in a blacked out city during the worrying opening half to the season. Shay's top scorer last season did not fail to impress this term either, bagging 19 goals in 31 games – or a goal every 1.63 matches – and was once more the man with the most goals come season end. So often the difference in a tight game, it's no wonder 'Vardy' is the one name young fans are wanting on their shirts at the moment.

However, that may soon all be about to change. A late arrival to the squad, Nialle Rodney made a late surge into the supporters' hearts after bagging 6 in 11 towards the end of the season. Possessing phenomenal pace and the crucial ability to slot home those pivotal chances, there is no doubt that Rodney will be a key player for the Shaymen next season.

Tipped as one of the hottest prospects to enter the club in recent years, David Nwaogu had the expectations of a town on his shoulders as he exited the Shay's tunnel against Histon. Indeed, that performance had the majority of fans dismissing the Nigerian as overrated and his name was not often mentioned again, occasionally popping up with the odd goal to compliment his team's efforts. However, it was not until the 14th of January that Halifax fans realised just what kind of a player they had on their hands. Facing off against Hinckley (who he had previously scored against earlier in the season) Nwaogu bagged a hat-trick, alerting the casual fan to his presence. From then on, much more attention was paid to him – and it appeared that the Nigerian thrived on it. Finishing the season with 14 goals and 10 assists, he was undoubtedly one of the stars of the season – proved by the fact so many managers commented on his threat towards the end of the term.

With so much attention being paid to the front end of the pitch, it's easy to forget that it's just as important to keep out the opposition crusade in football. Captain Mark Bower commandeered his defence impeccably, and playing alongside regular partner Adrian Bellamy the pair completed a good season, culminating in a very solid end. With the men on either side of them changing regularly, it's easy to becoming unsettled in the centre of defence – and perhaps that's what caused the somewhat undesirable beginning of the season.

After having issues in goal throughout the opening to the season, Allingan appeared to be desperate to secure a regular 'keeper – after all, it's not satisfactory to be constantly swapping between three men. James Gilpin was the man appointed, and has become well loved at Fax – many could not now select a side without him.

In the middle of the park, Jason Jarrett proved to be a terrific capture by Allingan. The ex-Oldham and -Preston man did his job superbly, setting in between midfield and defence and securing much needed ball for his team.

One man who failed to live up to expectations was Christian Nanetti. The young Italian was expected to be key to his team's fortunes this season on the right wing, but poor showings resulted in his slot being occupied by Will Packwood. Ivan Campo, who was also recruited later than most, was also disappointing, and perhaps will find himself out of a contract next season.

Finances

After appearing to be in good financial shape at around Christmas, the club began to rapidly decline in this area, even if their on-pitch showings were looking up. Currently in debt of around £20k, it appears a few players will have to be offloaded in the close season.

Next Season

Following a solid first stint, a promotion push will be the priority for Allingan's men next season. With perhaps a new central midfielder, full-back and winger being required for the 2012/2013 term, Shay fans will be looking for success in their hunt for league football once more.

Archived