dafuge's FM11 challenge

I'm also getting thoroughly sick of throwing away 2 goal leads. 4 out of our 5 draws so far this season have come after we've been leading either 2-0 or 3-1 :(

Furthermore, in each of the last five games the opposing manager has come out beforehand and said that Callum Bagshaw - my leading scorer - must be stopped. In each of those games Bagshaw has gone on to be a quivering mass of nerves and hasn't scored :(

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting frustrated with the number of fouls and yellow cards being handed out this year... happening to anyone else? I mean, its not just my team, but every team we play everyone is giving fouls away and yellow cards are being handed out like there's no tomorrow.

Anyway, just had a good game - or not. A 5v0 defeat to Boston. That leaves us with 7points from 9 games. This isnt going too well. Hopefully my second half of the season will be better.

ed: Its funny you should mention Bagshaw, I've been having my scout look at him recently and offering him a trial or something I think.

I'm also getting thoroughly sick of throwing away 2 goal leads. 4 out of our 5 draws so far this season have come after we've been leading either 2-0 or 3-1 :(

Furthermore, in each of the last five games the opposing manager has come out beforehand and said that Callum Bagshaw - my leading scorer - must be stopped. In each of those games Bagshaw has gone on to be a quivering mass of nerves and hasn't scored :(

Highfive for Bagshaw, shame the opposing managers manage to upset him though, with me they focus on other targets mostly.

Highfive for Bagshaw, shame the opposing managers manage to upset him though, with me they focus on other targets mostly.

Highfive indeed. Clearly a quality player for this level. Had a word with him and said I was unhappy with his recent performances and BAM! breaks his drought with a late equaliser at top of the league Telford.

We're 3rd at the halfway point. Histon and Telford have broken away from the pack, they'll contest the title between them, but I'm hopeful that we can hold on for a play-off place. Although it might be tough as my star left winger has torn his hamstring and will be out until March :(

FA Cup qualifying third round:

Tiverton 3-0 Truro

Shocking :(

gutted. I managed to scrape a win over Marine in the FA Cup, 2v1. Surprised we could win anything to be honest.

ed: Indeed, two new signings in to the league, one for up front one in defence. Bagshaw and Hurren, who is far better that one of my defenders but still, not amazing.

Right this is the last time I am going to change my team. I wasn't doing too bad in mid-table with Truro but I know it sounds stupid but I hate the name and their kits. I think its important that you like the name and kits etc for a long term game :p

Going to go back for FC United, they are my favourite and I nearly did this challenge on FM09 with them, I like their kits too ;)

Getting frustrated with the number of fouls and yellow cards being handed out this year... happening to anyone else? I mean, its not just my team, but every team we play everyone is giving fouls away and yellow cards are being handed out like there's no tomorrow.

Anyway, just had a good game - or not. A 5v0 defeat to Boston. That leaves us with 7points from 9 games. This isnt going too well. Hopefully my second half of the season will be better.

ed: Its funny you should mention Bagshaw, I've been having my scout look at him recently and offering him a trial or something I think.

I haven't noticed.

So far I have 21 yellow cards and 1 red for 18 games and I don't think that's too bad (4 yellows in 1 match is the highest i've got).

I haven't noticed.

So far I have 21 yellow cards and 1 red for 18 games and I don't think that's too bad (4 yellows in 1 match is the highest i've got).

Might just be me thinking its more than it actually is, just seems to be slowing the game down a lot as there appears to be a constant flow of fouls given. I have 28 yellows in just 12 games :|

Finally, we have won two games in a row for the first time, which, thankfull has boosted morale. Hopefully they can take it in to their next game too.

ed: Nope... just lost to Colwyn Bay in the FA Cup. :( bad times.

Getting frustrated at the number of missed penalties. I'm don't watch much non-league football, so I'm not sure if it's the case in real life, but we've had six penalties awarded and scored only one of them (and it was my centre back who scored it for his hat-trick :D)

Despite seeing this in FM 2010 never got down to starting a challenge off so here we go, holidaying till the 24th June 2011, looking forward to the challenge or taking a team to CL glory. Any Particular team to be or just pick and see what happens?

Be careful with the holidaying. It is best to holiday a week before that, so the 17th as the game seems to holiday you a week forward.

The teams I suggest are just any under 1000 rep.

This whole season may become a useless one and as such, I may have to restart at the end of it. Currently sitting rock bottom with 14 points from 19 games.

I'm halfway through the first season, so here's a little update:

Star signings:

Christian Montano - Free - Value: £95k

Porya Ahmadi - Free - Value: £80k

Jake Kean - Free - Value: £45k (I signed him a little late, on 30th november 2011)

Connor McLaren - Free - Value: £45k

I signed a total of 24 players and released 13 players.

Assistant manager: Marcus Bignot

Coach: Ian Cousins (also a player)

GK coach: Mal Downing

Physio: Gary Ling

Scout: Tom Hunt

Scout: Jordan Green

I reached the FA Cup 1st round but lost to Notts County (3-1).

I've reached the FA Trophy 2nd round (game scheduled for 14th jan. 2012).

In the league I'm currently number 1 (after 21 rounds) :) - my team is playing very well.

sig.php?u=10048

Well, I lost one of my best players, James Dean, who left too become a free agent when his contract expires because I couldn't afford him. A couple of others have as well, although some who have refused to enter discussions decided to stay with me on a month-to-month basis - odd, but better than nothing I guess.

Signed a couple of players, the best probably David Nwaogu. He doesn't look brilliant, but he was previously at Norwich and according to my scouts has lots of potential.

I'm curious about people's opinion on hard tackling at this level... I'm too chicken to give the direction with my level of defenders for fear of pulling in millions of cards and constantly losing players.

I'm still playing with hard tackling on even at this level. With this combined with players set to close down more often I feel it keeps the opposition for wanting to hold on to the ball and forces more passes. With the horrific passing at this level, this leads to more turnovers and less chances on net. I will however probably pick up more cards than most people and will likely have players miss several games. My squad should be deep enough to handle it. Just think of it as a short term injury you can control to some extent :)

I only have 9 yellows through 6 games, which on tackling hard is probably pretty normal. I do concede loads of fouls though... 88 through 6 games. Fortunantly the oppositions set piece takers are just as rubbish as mine :p I haven't had them come back to haunt me yet, but its not the fantastic saves my keeper has trouble with, its the routine shots he cant hold on to allowing easy tap ins! I think it really just depends on the referees as I usually tend to pick up either none or a slew in one game. I haven't ever taken the time to try and figure out which ones I should avoid hard tackling with just to avoid the cards. Its just not worth it imo.

Getting frustrated at the number of missed penalties. I'm don't watch much non-league football, so I'm not sure if it's the case in real life, but we've had six penalties awarded and scored only one of them (and it was my centre back who scored it for his hat-trick :D)

At least you are getting them! Through 6 games I've yet to get a penalty, though I've given up 2. Both penalties against me were BS for fouls away from the ball in the box. Both were scored of course. If the shot is on target it will score as I don't think I've ever seen my keeper move on penalties.

Dammit, Just crashed out of the FA Cup at the first time of asking to Stalybridge. Really irritates me when you batter a side, 16 efforts on goal...and they have 2 shots the whole game and score both!

Grr...

Update on my game before I get started for the day.

I'm currently sitting 14th in the league after 6 games. The seasons started out well through 4 games with 2 wins and 2 draws with 2 clean sheets. Outside of those two clean sheets (one was 0-0 ultra defensive on both sides) I've been really struggling to stop opponents from scoring on me. This leads me to having to play attacking football and try to outscore them and that is not a game I can win as evidenced by my last two losses at 5-2 and 2-3 respectively.

Normally I have strong center backs who are good in the air, but I just couldn't find any this year who would sign. This has led me to having faster guys who aren't as strong and not quite as good in the air. I'm conceding far too many goals from corners, which puts me behind the 8 ball and being forced to chase.

In the FA cup 2nd round draw, out of 160 teams I only needed to avoid like 42 to draw a non league side, and of course I didn't manage to do that. I drew Eastleigh who finished 6th last year in the BSS. Fortunately the game is at home, but with the way I'm currently playing it could be a very short cup run this year.

Hastings United FC - Blue Square South - 2011/12

Media Prediction: 21st

Actual Position : 4th

Promoted at the first attempt, can't say I expected that. Last year I finished 8th first time out, and it took 3 or 4 seasons to get promoted from the Blue Square South. I started out fairly poorly, what you'd expect from a newly promoted side. Went on an excellent run around Christmas and got myself into a title battle, couldn't sustain it and fell out of contention early enough. From there I set about resting players for the playoffs, was resting a few every game as I already felt comfortable about getting playoffs and fell to 4th, stuck my first 11 back in for the last 2 games to get some momentum going into the playoffs. That momentum didn't immediately put me in good stead. I went 2 nil down at home to Woking in the semifinal first leg, then I went 3 nil down in the 88th minute, then this happened. Back in it, but I went 1 nil down early on in the second leg. Didn't matter, put 3 past them to win the tie. Then went to Salisbury and beat them 2 nil in the final. I'm putting it down to the rested players but who knows for sure.

League Table

FA Cup

Excellent little run. The 1st round win over Bournemouth looked like being the highlight of the season, until I went on and won the playoffs. Either way it gave me the resources to win promotion as it allowed me to sign players to improve the first team and give the squad depth. Otherwise I would have been more prudent to avoid a giant debt.

FA Trophy

I put out a weakened side in this. I don't think its a tournament the sides in the Blue Square regional divisions need to be worrying about massive amounts. Very unlikely to win it, and there isn't a huge amount of money coming in for getting through rounds of it. It was sandwiched in between important fixtures so I decided to leave proper participation in it until im a midtable Blue Square Premier side with less else to worry about. Whether that is next year or not, I'll probably know by the time the first fixture comes around.

Transfers

Lots of activity, both in and out, all free agents.. I'm pleased enough to say that I didn't need to sign any loan players to do the deed. I got in Southampton as a parent club, but didn't take any of their players.

Squad

I'll keep alot of the squad for next season I think, but I'm well aware of the need to invest in more quality for the higher level.

Career Overview

Season League Position Achievements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12 Blue Square South 4th Playoff Winners

Next Season

Staying up and not running into massive financial difficulties will be enough I think.

Congrats on promotion CSF! Nice little FA cup run, and the big win was on TV! That little gem probably knocked your reputation up a few points :)

Looks like a pretty nice squad. Its great that everyone seems to have semi-different players this year. Some of your players are on my watch list, but thus far are refusing to talk to me at all lol.

Congrats on promotion CSF! Nice little FA cup run, and the big win was on TV! That little gem probably knocked your reputation up a few points :)

Looks like a pretty nice squad. Its great that everyone seems to have semi-different players this year. Some of your players are on my watch list, but thus far are refusing to talk to me at all lol.

Who you looking at? Harper is the 1 I'd recommend the most. Rock of a defender who came in with some very important goals. Hronec is excellent too if you're willing to invest a large amount of your budget in him and Micah Evans is another I'd recommend to anyone.

Truro City F.C. - Road to Glory - Blue Square South - 2011/2012

And I finished the my first season with Truro and also my first try at this great challenge. The first part of the season went good mixed results but approaching the the winter transfer period things started to go badly but in February the team got on their feet and started playing better, in the end we finished 6th starting the season with 22th media prediction. I'm satisfied with the team's performance.

League Table

League Positions Graph

As for the Cups I'm pleased with the results so is the board, i feel that we could have done better in the FA Cup.

FA Cup

FA Trophy

Only 3-4 of the team's original players remained in my formation, releasing the rest and sent a few of them to the reserves, I mainly brought young players under 21.

Tranfers

Squad

Key Players

Porya Ahmadi the man of the season saving the team many times, scored 2-3 hat tricks , the top goalscorer of the team and second goalscorer in the league, considered signing of the season

Max Wright my second striker , he served Ahmadi with most of the passes having the most assists in the team and a good number of the goals, considered runner up for signing of the season

Anton Blackwood the main man in my defense had a very good season despite that 1 red card

Dan Smith my right winger unfortunately, had a good season until he picked a nasty injury in march just when the team started getting in a killer form

Career so far

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12   Blue Square South        6th         

Next Season:

For the next season promotion is my target, I want first place, I feel the team is capable of achieving that, i will search for a new GK this time i will try a more older and experienced one, and some improvements here and there as the team hasn't reached it's full potential.

Hope dafuge doesn't mind i used his style of update, i like it very much. :)

OK anyone got a link to where i can find the Kits? i used to one that someone kindly supplied me with but cant seem to get them to work, so was wondering if anyone had a different link so i can see if it is perhaps the files that i have DLd?

FC United - Pre-Season Report - 2011/2012

So much has happened at FC United since I came to power. 15 players have come in, all free transfers and 11 have been released. I've also brought in an assistant manager and a scout to help cope with the workload. All this caused a slight financial problem in that I am over in my wage budget. Over the first few games of the season I'll be assessing the players closely and deciding who is to be released. The pre season games have for the most part gone immensely well and has allowed me to figure who is likely to feature in the season to come.

Anyway, in addition to a win against the Reserves, we played 5 other friendly matches. The results of which I am very satisfied with.

FC United 6 - 2 Linfield - What a start this was! Excellent result against a team expected to beat us, brilliant.

Fleetwood 2 - 1 FC United - Minor slip up in a game which we dominated literally from start to finish, no idea how we lost but still took many positives from the game.

FC United 3 - 2 Falkirk - Another victory which was widely unexpected, we performed brilliantly and the goal in the final minutes left the fans reeling with excitement.

Truro 0 - 3 FC United - Easy victory here as was expected.

Bournemouth 1 - 1 FC Untied - Perhaps the most pleasing game of the preseason against a League 1 side who fielded their first team in a match against a Blue Square North team who damn near defeated them. Was so pleased with the boys, shows our team has what it takes to rise to the big leagues.

Star Players

Chris Fagan - ST - I've been playing him as an attacking midfielder on the right and his mazy runs have been nothing short of superb, should be a star this season

Michael O'Halloran - ST - Released from Bolton, has scored 4 goals in 5 games where he started just once due to fitness. If his fitness gets sorted he is sure to be our top scorer this season

Cecil Nyoni - DC/DM/MC - Absolute stalwart in defence and has an eye for goals too with 2 to his name.

I've not posted any links atm but will have profiles up upon completion of the season

Aims for Season

Promotion is easily within our grasps and I aim to finish top of this league

Having a bit of a mare here. It's gonna be a relegation battle at Tooting :(

Cant work out what I'm doing wrong - any tips?

[/snip]

You're not the only one, pal. My save went completely downwards, and I was too far gone with my team for any attempt at being able to salvage something at the end of the season. In the end, I've settled for a restart/

Who you looking at? Harper is the 1 I'd recommend the most. Rock of a defender who came in with some very important goals. Hronec is excellent too if you're willing to invest a large amount of your budget in him and Micah Evans is another I'd recommend to anyone.

Interesting, I don't think I've looked at Harper at all. Hronec is one of the ones on my list who won't talk to me. Same with Micah Evans (15 pace for a non-league striker is just phenomenal with the dump and chase). Also have Evina on my list who won't talk to me. As you can probably tell I value pace highly in the lower leagues.

Hastings Utd - Pre-Season Report 2011/12

All in all a succesful Pre-Season, 7 Friendlys played W4 D2 L1 F11 A6

The squad has undergone a major facelift with 23 players through the IN door and 26 Leaving via the EXIT

The concern is that the squad will take sometime to gel and settle in so i think the first months will be tough, but the squad i have put together i am sure has the quality to stay up,

That is the priority and only aim for this season, stay in the division and build from there, I will update at 1st JAn for a mid season report

my game seems to be chippenham cursed. I can't for the love of god get them promoted :(

I think the game knows when you want a specific team promoted. Anytime I'm looking for someone in specific it takes FOREVER.

I just crashed out of the FA cup at the 2nd round qualifying phase. At Home. Absolutely gutted. 159 other teams and I had to draw similar level opposition. This will probably cause us financial problems later on in the seasons as well as I'm usually counting on making a bit in the FA cup.

Moral on the team is now pretty poor almost across the board. The one striker I had who can find the net just went down injured in the FA cup second half, not sure how bad it is yet. I think I signed too many players at the start, and the quality of the team isn't as high as it could be. Almost everyone is on long term contracts which could be trouble down the road. That being said, this team should still have the quality to gain promotion and I'm hoping its just taking some time for them all to gel.

Awesome start for Amjad Iqbal with 2 goals from 2 games. Unfortunately they were both OGs. nightmare start.

This made me laugh, a lot. Sorry to hear it though.

I'm trying to rake some cash in early on with pre-season friendlies, the best being against Blackpool that got me about £8k, with £1k going to Bpool. It's a sure good way to earn some cash. We only lost 2v1.

Archived