dafuge's FM11 challenge

Ah, come on!!! Was just cruising to a 1-0 win over Aston Villa at home, then in the 95 minute they hit a cross in, it's going straight to my keeper who is completely unchallenged... AND HE FUMBLES IT, only for their striker to turn it in. Such a good team performance too, what a shame.

But, in better news, we dominated the first Young player of the month awards, all 3 guys from Chippenham. The brilliant Lee Brooks won it, and the other two were my new signings. Love it when the young players do well.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just beat Luton in the FA Cup 2nd round, and have drawn Everton at home for the 3rd round

Stupid PC crashed, and now i have Wigan. Luckily for me experience has told me to save after every game!! Really didnt fancy replaying the Luton game as it was defiantly luck not judgment that had got me through!

Finished 17th in the BSS, not sure I can be bothered to do a write up this season :(

Hang in there, sometimes you just can't get the luck to run your way mate! Post it up, and I'm sure some of these guys (and gals?) might be able to give you some pointers if you'd like.

Try to take apart the season in the details - what actually went wrong? Tactically outclassed? Trying something too fancy? Too simple? Wrong kind of players? Leaking goals? Not scoring enough? Lots and lots of questions you need to ask to try and pin-point exactly how to turn it around. In the end, it will make you a better manager as your understanding of the game's dynamics increases.

Another Keirrison hat trick! First was against Aston Villa, this one against WBA. He's already scored 3/4 goal of the season contenders.

Class act eh?! Hope you have a good backup just in case, last thing you want to become is a one-man team. Not that I'd wish that on anybody, hopefully all will continue well!

Class act eh?! Hope you have a good backup just in case, last thing you want to become is a one-man team. Not that I'd wish that on anybody, hopefully all will continue well!

Don't need to worry about backups :) I have John Guidetti, Andy Carroll, Carlton Cole, Alex Nimely and our record signing Francisco Javier Uriarte :D

Hang in there, sometimes you just can't get the luck to run your way mate! Post it up, and I'm sure some of these guys (and gals?) might be able to give you some pointers if you'd like.

Try to take apart the season in the details - what actually went wrong? Tactically outclassed? Trying something too fancy? Too simple? Wrong kind of players? Leaking goals? Not scoring enough? Lots and lots of questions you need to ask to try and pin-point exactly how to turn it around. In the end, it will make you a better manager as your understanding of the game's dynamics increases.

Ok maybe I'll do a write up tomorrow then. It was all going so well, maybe it was the success in the FA Trophy, but it all ended wrong and I'm not sure why. I( think the most frustrating is, I never have as much trouble as I'm having, I do this every year and I've never spent more than 2 seasons in the bottom division...now I'm on my 4th and still without a top half finish,

We definitely scored enough, my defence are good I just had a massive injury crisis with left/right backs.

I'll do the pre-season for next season now and do a write up tomorrow.

Ok maybe I'll do a write up tomorrow then. It was all going so well, maybe it was the success in the FA Trophy, but it all ended wrong and I'm not sure why. I( think the most frustrating is, I never have as much trouble as I'm having, I do this every year and I've never spent more than 2 seasons in the bottom division...now I'm on my 4th and still without a top half finish,

We definitely scored enough, my defence are good I just had a massive injury crisis with left/right backs.

I'll do the pre-season for next season now and do a write up tomorrow.

Squad size is a big factor in particular for me this year. I have a first team squad (don't bother with reserves or youth other than fitness reasons) of 40 players currently. It probably started off about 25 start of season, and slowly built on it without losing too many as the season has progressed. And I haven't even finished my first season yet! However I have cover in EVERY position by a minimum of 4/5 (key positions such as CB/CM/ST by about 8!) and keep a good rotation going. HOWEVER saying that, I do not rotate EVERY player at the same time, as I have found before that it seriosusly unbalances the team and creates a difficulty in trying to keep momentum. So, for example. I will play the same starting line-up for 2/3 games at a time. Then I notice that a few players will be getting tired (usually LB/RB and DMC) and so I swap them. Then after another game, I will switch my CB/CM (and ST IF and only IF necessary). They then play a couple more games. Time now to change my LB/RB and DMC back to the original set of players. And so on.. Seems to work really well, and you can work with a pretty good 16ish players constantly rotating. When you get injuries, you have that bigger squad to fall back on.

Also, you may perhaps be right about the cup. I got to the Second Round of the FA Cup, and although I was pleased with it, it had, in hindsight, limited my ability in the league. Since I fell out of the cup (and early exit in FA Trophy helped!) I have climbed the league pretty quickly - probably because more of those "starting players" can last a bit longer and with more fresheness in the league games.

Just my two cents!

Another 4-2 win, this time over Blackburn, puts us 10th after 10 games. We concede a lot, but we score enough to keep it competitive. Not had a boring game yet!

You seem to share the same theory as me - keep it entertaining and the fans will love you whatever happens! Plus, score a lot and those you conceed won't matter! Following your team closely to see if this will still work at the highest level!

You seem to share the same theory as me - keep it entertaining and the fans will love you whatever happens! Plus, score a lot and those you conceed won't matter! Following your team closely to see if this will still work at the highest level!

Exactly! Although my next run of games is Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool... I feel I may struggle here!

40 players? wowsers!

Yes, but none in reserves or youth remember! And, I'm still only £533 p/w over my wage budget, which I'm constantly looking to try and get down. If I could just get rid of one player in particular that I gave too high a wage for and that hasn't even played ONCE, I would be under budget!

Lost 3-1 to Man City. Then had an amazing game against Chelsea where we were arguably the better side, but they managed to pull it back to 1-1 in the last minute. A game which also included the best defensive clearance EVER, when Lee Brooks cleared the ball off the line with a diving header as two Chelsea players were trying to kick it. Legend! That was a valuable game tactically, as i've struggled to get my central midfielders firing on all cylinders, but now I think i've figured it out.

The problem is that now my squad is knackered, and we've got Spurs in 3 days!

I've switched to quite a risky 4-3-3 formation.

GK - Defend

DR - Attacking Wing Back

DL - Attacking Wing Back

DC - Ball Playing Stopper

DC - Ball Playing Stopper

DMCR - Anchor Man

MCL - Deep Lying Playermaker

AMC - Advanced Playmaker (Roaming)

STL - Complete Forward

STC - Target Man (Roaming)

STR - Complete Forward

Got me a 1-0 win over Birmingham, where I destroyed them in the stats. 1-1 draw against Liverpool, with them equalising by a Boateng mistake. Currently 2-0 up against Arsenal too!

WE BEAT THEM! 2-0 :D

Whats up man?

Ha, when I said that we were 3-0 down at home to a poor Yeovil side... but we came back to draw 4-4. So now I just sort of mildly dislike the game again :D

Naturally our fans are devastated that we conceded a late 4th goal... bloody idiots.

More highs and lows than Mick McCarthy on Nemesis!

Hednesford 2014-15 Pre-Season Musings

Media prediction - 24th

So, they’re not hedging their bets; rock bottom.

Personally I’m kind of hoping for a fairly dull season. Last year was quite stressful. Chesterfield were tough to shake off, and just as I thought we’d done so, 8 points ahead with 7 games to go, we had our lead cut to 3, courtesy in part to losing to Chesterfield at home in the key fixture. When we managed to finally limp across the line to the title with a game to spare, the feeling was more one of relief than ecstasy. The FA Trophy Final (against Weymouth from the BS South) wasn’t easy on the nerves either due to having a player sent off when we were a goal up. I’m still a nervous wreck.

Agents

I was tempted to do a win the leagues in lots of different countries game this season (like Dafuge is, but starting off at a big club) until I played as Barcelona in the demo and realised just how much I hated the greedy agents. I knew I was going to have to deal with them at some point, but I thought I’d wean myself on gently.

With promotion to the Football League, my first player (with a year left on his contract) acquired an agent. The agent’s demands for his own fee in a new contract were modest, (he has to make a living), but also my entire transfer budget. In any case, I couldn’t afford what his client was asking, so that’s my first key player that I’ve had to sell. I was tempted to keep him for the year and let him go on a free, but he wanted to go. Note to self; renew contracts at end of the previous season.

None of my other players have got agents yet, but it’s only a matter of time, and I suspect renewing contracts will be a whole lot more expensive once they do. When did agents start appearing in droves for the rest of you?

Salaries

The salaries that I’m have to pay new players to sign have shot up dramatically, and players that have been with me for the two promotions have accrued something in the range of 85% pay rises because of promotion and yearly salary hikes. I’m not sure how much my attendances will increase, so I wonder whether I’m about to go into the red.

Advice

I think there’s lots of different ways to be successful in this game, but these are the guiding principles of Vikeology.

· Always pay the maximum (high) league and competition bonuses to players. I can’t imagine why anyone would do anything else. It has such a great effect on morale. I'd let them sleep with my wife if I thought it would increase morale, although I am actually a bit worried that my wife suggested it. Also, offer huge ‘Team of the Season’ bonuses to players if it will make them sign. Folks, there is no ‘team of the season’ in non-league. You might think that it’s a ‘bug’ of the game that players would ask for money that they stand no chance of earning, but are you sure? Football players really are quite thick.

· Don’t change your tactics. Set your tactics during pre-season so the players get used to them, and stick to them. Of course, you can change your ‘starting strategy’ during a game, but I essentially get my players used to how to play, and then don’t change it. I don’t adapt to the opposition, I don’t adapt to the strengths of my players. I don’t adapt; full stop. In fact I blame my relegation in the first season to the fact that I hadn’t set my tactics the way I wanted (because it was a new game, or maybe there was a bug that reset them) and changed slightly mid way through the season when we were playing quite badly. As soon as we changed, we were awful, and by the time the players were used to the slightly different tactical approach we were about 18 points away from safety. I’m sure that there are tactics that would never work, but I think the basic ones will; as long as you give them time.

· Keep it simple. I’m sure a lot of fun can be had, designing set pieces and tinkering with player roles, but it’s not necessary.

· When you’re winning, find someone to criticise. When you’re losing, find someone to praise. That’s not always possible to do of course.

· Don’t believe scouts / coaches when they say that someone has the potential to play in League 1. Four months later they’ll have changed their mind. If your scouting reports are more than 200 days old, get a new one. Generally speaking, (at lower levels) I rarely sign anyone unless the report says that they must be signed at all costs, although if they’re only going to ask for £40 a week, then ‘definite purchase’ could be a pretty sweet deal. Once you get nearer the Premiership of course, the cream at the top gets considerably thinner.

vikeologist classic :D better watch your wife when you are on away trips and the injured players stay behind

Ive had this message for the 3rd year in a row. They also dont let me even talk to the board about upgrades. before we got our end of season bonus, we were 500k in the red because we cant fit people in the stadium!

deadfncatnewsinbox11.png

At 40-1 to win the title, the bookies didnt think we had a shot.

This season was a horror. Had such a horrible start and by week 22ish I was down the bottom of the ladder. I got angry and hacked into my squad, changed tactic drastically and changed keeper. It worked and after a great run ended up in 10th. I want to keep this going and get in the playoffs next season!

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8966/tableha.png'>League Table

FA Cup - Played Sunderland in the 2nd round and lost 3-1. I was doing so badly in the league that it wasnt even a packed stadium :\

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7160/34641463.png'>League Cup - Bad

Johnstone's Paint Tropy - Bad Bad Bad

Squad

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/5789/tranfer.png'>Transfers -

Key Player Profiles

Jamie Neal - Stepped up as a benched Locke in my mid season blitz

Mattia Bertelli - Now the record top goal scorer for Croydon Athletic

Danny Duncan - I still dont get how he scores so many goals. He had a hatrick in one game!

Mircea Bacila - Still killing it and the offers coming in for him are creeping higher and higher

Petru Dragnea - One of my other Romanians, this guy pairs up with Bacila like a machine. Training him for DM now

Career Overview

Season    Team                          Country            League               League Finish     Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Croydon Athletic          England    Blue Square Bet South      14th                    nil 
2012/13    Croydon Athletic          England    Blue Square Bet South      13th              FA Trophy Win
2013/14    Croydon Athletic          England    Blue Square Bet South       1st              Promotion to BSP
2014/15    Croydon Athletic          England    Blue Square Bet Premier     2nd              Promotion to League 2
2015/16    Croydon Athletic          England    nPower League 2             9th               JP Trophy Winner
2016/17    Croydon Athletic          England    nPower League 2             3rd               JP Trophy Winner/Promotion to League 1
2017/18    Croydon Athletic          England    nPower League 1             6th                 Playoff Semi Final Loss
2018/19    Croydon Athletic          England    nPower League 1             13th                  nil
2019/20    Croydon Athletic          England    nPower League 1             10th                  nil

No Stadium...It's fkn killing my finances. Had the same msg come up for 3 seasons now.

Also had a takeover and a job scare. Takeover happened when I was doing really badly and I thought I was 100% out of a job :| Luckily it went well and I'm still here

I just can't get over the fact that I dont have a new or expanded stadium yet. My allowed wage budget is now 55k/week. I cant even make that with a packed house!

Next Season

I HAVE to get a new stadium otherwise I'll just keep sinking into more debt, get taken over again and my job looked at :\

HendonFcCrest.png

HENDON DONS END OF SEASON REPORT: 2016/17

English Premiere Division

Notes:

Arsenal was two days after Chelsea. Man U-Chelsea-Arsenal in the span of 5 days.

Time to try and snag the ST, DC, and DR prospects from Brazil since their loans are done.

Signing Andy Thompson to a new and improved contract for three years 12.25k/week. Glad to have him sewn up.

My DR target has been downgraded from a leading to a good epl dc projection, with the same star count from the same scout. oh well. Looks like I can only sign one guy unless I get an increase which wont happen.

bah! Munich has a first option deal on my DC, DONT STEAL MY GOOD(present) and LEADING(future) DC !!! :( HOLY CRAP THIS GUY WANTS WAY MORE $$ THAN SCOUTS STATED/I CAN ok cool. scout was right, just ridic original demands.

3.5 mil transfer Paulinho(DC) from Palmeiras has gone through after an appeal. woo! 18 y/o, 6'2", 19 tackling, 16 pace :O 19 determination 17 bravery sweet

lol first offer from a different club is from Coventry(CH in 17th). lolnothx.

lol journalists are questioning Jose Vincentes recent performances. His last 5 games avg rating is 7.16. Sweet.

another new signing Paulinho having troubles settling in. Given time away. bleck.

3 games left in 16th. Up 9(18th-Birmingham) has played one less game than I. Last three games are BRUTAL.

Home-Aston Villa, Away-Man U, Home-Liverpool. dang.

Media Prediction: 20th

Actual Finish: 16th

RECORD:

Wins:9

DRAWS:11

LOSSES:18

Table

Half Full Squad

Half Full Squad 2

Key Signings:

Transfers

ST: Benik Afobe

Apps:34

Goals:17

Assists:7

MoM:4

Average Rating:7.14

Best random need signing ever. Dude is a beast. Only $3600/week(this year). Sucks that there is ONLY a 2mill min release clause. Tried to renegotiate to get that number bigger, and it wasnt happening.

ST: Oscar Bolanos

Apps:25

Goals:8

Assists:6

MoM:2

Average Rating:7.05

Solid.

MC: Renaud Cohade

Apps:32

Goals:6

Assists:5

MoM:0

Average Rating: 6.95

Best Win:

6-0 late season victory over Wolves(who were relegated with the loss) put me in a better position not to get relegated.

Final gameday win against Liverpool. Benik Afobe had a hat trick before half. wee not getting relegated. won it 4-0. hooray!

Worst Loss:

2-3 loss to QPR in cup play.

Thoughts:

Not too shocked. A few young players did alright. A few clearly need to grow. My Team got a bit too big for my liking but whatever.

Benik Afobe might be the best signing in the history of the world, and hes only 23 right now.. Sick. Young goalies pretty much split the starts

with mixed results. Training facilities and youth academy networking improving in the offseason. 14k seat stadium wont be done until next year, but

with my amazing 350 attendance per game I managed to make 39 million this season. I wish you could just pay off that 20.5mill loan debt right NOW, but noooooo

gotta pay it in incriments. Whatever. Next season should hopefully see some youth improvement, and similiar results placing wise.

pickemgenius Go Hendon! You're paying a guy only 3600 a week in the premier league? jebus! Im in L1 and my top guy earns 3100 :\

You fkn got a new stadium thouhg :( im jealous

They need to add in a function to pay off loans when you are flush i reckon.

In my game as Northwich I got promoted to the blue square premier and i'm really stuck now, can't win or even draw, my squad is too poor for this league, I'm sitting in the bottom 3 and have lost the past 10 games, in the finances i'm -£120,000 and have a wage budget of £0.

I think i'm looking at relegation back to the Blue Square North at the minute.

After a 5-0 win against Oxford in the 3rd round, 4-1 win against Coventry in the 4th round, we get Burnley in the 5th round of the FA Cup.

24 games into the season, and I'm 7th in the league :) Keirrison is top scorer with 10 league goals, but John Guidetti has the most in all comps with 13.

sig.php?u=10083

Archived