dafuge's FM11 challenge

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I've taken the plunge.

In every FM ever, I've been dedicated to the following saves: Spurs x3(1 for each patch), 1 in La Liga, 1 or 2 in Serie A, Lyon, Bayern, Ajax and then a.n.other from a random but decent level league (ie Boca or CSKA). I have never managed at a low level. I am scared. I could be very out of my depth. I mean where are all my coaches and scouts and physios? ;)

Anyway its time to be a bit of daredevil, I think I'm going to enjoy the challenge.

This is me, Matt Murdock, new manager of Sutton Utd, The U's in BSS. Sutton is a nice fit, owing to my Surrey roots.

The media have predicted a 15th place finish, I've told the chairman that I'll get us a safe mid table position, for this I'll get (unsurprisingly) £0 transfer budget and £6.5k pw wage budget, with the club already spending £5.4k pw.

We actually seem to have a little bit of technique about the squad but I'm really not sure whats good or bad at this level so I could be wrong.

Thinking it may take me 2 years to get out of here and build from that.

Anyway. We're off!

FC United of Manchester: 2013/14 Season Summary

fcunitedbadgepic.gif

Media Prediction: 9th

Actual Finish: 1st

League Table | League Positions Graph | Team Stats | Player Stats

Squad | Finances |Transfers

Season Best XI | Overall Best XI

There was just one aim for this season, promotion. It was a hard season, we were always there or there abouts, but we rarely reached the top of the table. The only time it really matters though is at the end of the season, and what a thrilling end to the season it turned out to be. One of the closest finishes i have ever seen, let alone been involved in. Coming in to the last game of the season we were three points behind league leaders Alfreton, and level on points with Stafford who were in third.

We knew that if Alfreton were to lose, if we won we would take the league on goal difference, unless Stafford had a massive win in their final game. Due to FC United playing at Gigg Lane, they play their home games on a Sunday, so we knew that it was in our hands as to who would win the league. Stafford won, and Alfreton lost, it was all down to us. Stafford were up to first position for the time being, all we neded was to win.

We were up against Altrincham, who had had everything to play for as they were chasing a playoff position. One of last seasons best performance for us was against Altrincham in the Playoff Semi Final as we beat them 5-0 at their ground. I was hoping something like that would happen again. And wow, what a performance, everything seemed to just go well once again! Borini got us off to a good start as we took the lead after 22 minutes, we were pegged back just three minutes later though as Altrincham levelled.

Thats' when we really started playing though. 2 minutes in to injury time in the first half James Collins put us back in to the lead after a fantastic assist from Carole. After half time, two own goals from Altrincham helped us build up a lead of three goals, and finally, with almost the last kick of the game, Philip Roberts made it 5-1, and that is how it finished. What a fantastic result. We had won the league! Everyone was delighted, the fans, the board, FC United favourite Karl Marginson, the fans again, the board again and Karl Marginson again! It was a new record high position again for the team, and that record will be broken again next season.

Top Scorer and Player of the Season

Fabio Borini

Another fantastic season for Borini, in fact quite a bit better than last season! He shot his way in to the record books on just the 9th of February, becoming the clubs top goalscorer of all time for a single season. A couple of weeks later he broke another record, after claiming his 8th man of the match of the season, breaking last seasons record held by Philip Roberts, who got 7. He finished top goalscorer in the league, with 29 league goals, and 35 from 45 games in all competitions.

Signing of the Season

Richie Baker

After playing in League 2 for seven seasons, i thought Richie would be a great signing, and one that would be able to add to the experience in the midfield alongside Chris Herd. He had a great season, with an average rating of 7.03, scoring 2 goals and providing 10 assists for the team over the course of the season, claiming the man of the match award three times.

Next Season Aims..

• Stay up
  • Strengthen the squad

[font=Courier New]Season    Team        League              Pos   Pld  Won  Drn  Lst  For  Ag   G.D  Pts   Achievements[/font]

[font=Courier New]2011/12   FC United   Blue Square North   18th  42   12   8    22   41   57   -18  44    None[/font]
[font=Courier New]2012/13   FC United   Blue Square North   3rd   42   23   7    12   75   46   +29  76    Playoff Finalists
2013/14   FC United   Blue Square North   1st   42   21   12   9    81   43   +38  75    Blue Square North Champions
[/font] 

If you've not done LLM before then you should find it fun as it will be different from the other saves you've played. I think I prefer starting at a lower level now than starting with Spurs who I support.

I'm the same Azeryk, I never start as my beloved Liverpool anymore. It's too easy for a start. I get so much more enjoyment now playing LLM than I used to, I just didn't open my eyes to LLM until a few years ago :)

Is anyone else getting an error whereby when playing at home commentary and comments in the media name your ground as whoever the away teams ground is, and when i play away in the post match summary refer to the game as having been played at my home ground (Victora Park) in my case. 'Cos it's happening constantly to me. Managers keep referring the "dangerous pitch" (condition is very poor at my place) at my place but always the stadium name is the away teams. Annoying me tbh.

Example attached: I played this game away at Dagenham and Redbridge saying a scout was spotted at my ground during the match...but I PLAYED IT AWAY!!! Grrr

Next example is the Wycombe manager commenting on the playing surface for the match - I'm at home...but yet again its mentioned in the article as being at their home ground, Adams Park in this case.

Oh my God! I just realised something... I read the rules just for a recap, and nowhere does it say I can't do a player search to find the players I need... I've not done this yet as I thought it was against the challenge rules! DAMN IT!!

The player serach screen is fine, it is things like Genie Scout that are not allowed :thup:

Thanks for the confirmation. I bet I could have had some ace players if only I'd used player search lol.

but also bear in mind it's in the rules that any player you do sign must be able to be scouted, even if he does show up on the player search screen. I sometimes get the feeling this rule is oft overlooked on the sly :)

but also bear in mind it's in the rules that any player you do sign must be able to be scouted, even if he does show up on the player search screen. I sometimes get the feeling this rule is oft overlooked on the sly :)

I always scout before signing, or at least trial the player.

I actually prefer trialling to scouting, the reports seem to be a lot more reliable. That's how I make most of my signings, using my scouts to rate the unattached players then bringing in the best ones in on trial.

Tonbridge Angels- Blue Square South- Season 2011/12

We were predicted to go down this season but I was confident that we could be comfortable in mid-table and at a push challenge for a play-off spot

League Table

League position graph

Play-off semi-final Leg 1

Play-off semi-final Leg 2

Play-off final

After a great season in the league and a brilliant performance in the semi-final I was gutted we lost in the play-off final especially after the game was at our home ground and we managed to come from 2 down to equalise but in the end my players we knackered and they pounced.

Transfers 1

Transfers 2

Squad

A crzay season in terms of transfers lot's of young players came in with some deadwood being released the main problem with the squad was fatigue I will be looking to work on the player's fitness. A new goalkeeper and some wingers will be my top priority next season.

F.A Cup- Not much happened here really disappointed that we went out so early.

FA Trophy- We should have gone further in this cup losing at home to lower opposition.

Key players:

Callum Ball- Released from Derby a really talented striker.

Tyler Sheppard- Didn't make the grade at Yeovil but formed a great partnership with Ball. Unfortunately he got injured before the play-off final if he had played we may have won.

Cheick Toure- Brilliant season for the former Fulham man. Always seem to be in the right place at the right time for set-pieces managing to chip in with some important goals whilst being solid at the back.

Tony Diagne- Released from Nottingham Forest. Formed a solid partnership in the middle of defence with Toure.

Carrer Record

Season    League                League position    Other acheivments
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Blue Square South        2nd            Playoff's- Lost in final

Aims for next season

My sole aim for next season is to get the team promoted hopefully with a few new additions we should be strong enough to go up

Has anyone else suffered from this problem?

And if you have, how did you fix it

My Star Striker seems to be a total wuss

He played really well when i first got him and his morale was superb, but now before every game, and i mean every game the opposition manager says how great he is and that they will have to stop him

His morale plummets to Very Poor and i now cant get a performance out of him for love nor money

I have tried softly softly and taken the pressure off, and i have tried giving him the hair dryer nothing makes a difference

I am getting to the point where even though he is far and away my best forward, i am just going to have to cut my losses and drop him

any help appreciated

Great season Roganp, unlucky there in the final dude, happens to the best of us.

Callum Ball looks quality by the way, good signing that.

Good luck for next season.

Thanks. Callum Ball always seem to score without playing to well.

Pventress - I've had this exact same problem. Let me ask you a question - what have you set your expectations at for the season? Depending on that I might have a theory for you that seemed to add up for me....let me know ;)

Pventress - I've had this exact same problem. Let me ask you a question - what have you set your expectations at for the season? Depending on that I might have a theory for you that seemed to add up for me....let me know ;)

Jaffa - I have set my expectations as Avoid Relegation, its my first season in League 1 and i expected us to struggle, we have however started well and after 15 games are sat in 4th place, despite the implosion of my striker

Only just played my 1st friendly(competitive one, not counting beating my ressies) and I'm hooked.

I know Burton aren't miles above us, and that it was a friendly but I was very impressed with the performance, we dominated them, this was no lucky counter attack victory.

Chris Fagan is an ex Man U youth and it shows, could be key to my season.

And Ibrahim Farah, released by Cardiff was my first signing and he too looks a class above.

As I say I'm enjoying this, even though I'm struggling to find an assman and a physio and part time contracts and training are a completely new thing to me!

Jaffa - I have set my expectations as Avoid Relegation, its my first season in League 1 and i expected us to struggle, we have however started well and after 15 games are sat in 4th place, despite the implosion of my striker

Scratch my theory then ;)

Yikes, this thread has been jumping today. If I missed your question/update, my apoligies in advance!

quick question. is it out of the rules to change a teams uniform using an editor?

im trying to find a new team and really hate the look of some unirforms :p

Changing kits is fine. It shouldn't need to be done in any sort of editor. Any sort of editors are banned.

Three Team System with Many Friendlies in Blue Square South

I am using a system which is a bit unrealistic, but is allowing me to have success in the Dafuge's challenge. The most unrealistic part is that I have scheduled many away friendlies which brings in a huge amount of cash.

This is one of those gray areas that is up to each individual. Obviously scheduling tons of big money friendlies throughout the season is highly highly unrealistic, and generates easy cash. This will make the challenge much easier, but if you want to do it thats up to you.

Hastings Utd

Season 3 - 2013/14 – League 2

Prediction - 24th

Actual - 5th

Congrats on Promtion PV! Squad is looking great. I'm slightly envious as you have a lot of the players who have been little *****s and won't sign for me :p 3rd Promotion in a row, all your people need to slow down!

ZOMG NO FKN WAY!

been sitting here for little over 2-3 hours now srsly about to give up

DIDCOT!

I call complete BS on this one. Didcot isn't going to come up in this challenge, and certainly not after only a few hours. The division they start in is probably the hardest to get ANYONE other than Salisbury to come up in with their 1800 rep. Getting a 550 team out of this division just isn't happening. It took MichaelS over 2 days just to get Chippenham to come up and they are at 950. There are 12 teams lower than Chippenham that are still about Didcot. It makes it especially suspicious when the person who got them is constantly talking about editors. This is the reason I'd suggest to anyone to reload your own games instead of downloading a save. You have no idea what the person on the other end of the save has done, not to mention it means your all playing the exact same game (a la the demo, with the same manager shortlists, ect.)

FC United of Manchester: 2013/14 Season Summary

fcunitedbadgepic.gif

Media Prediction: 9th

Actual Finish: 1st

3rd times the charm! Congrats on Promotion Ridleys! Was interesting to see that you won the BSN on fewer points this year than you had last year. I like the look of Baker, 19 anticipation! Talk about someone who reads the game well :) Great update! I like your code for the career overview with the added w/l/d/points and gd. Would you mind if I used that in my end of season updates?

Oh my God! I just realised something... I read the rules just for a recap, and nowhere does it say I can't do a player search to find the players I need... I've not done this yet as I thought it was against the challenge rules! DAMN IT!!

The player search screen (F5) is directly tied to your scouting knowledge. The only way players are unscoutable on this list is if they have your nationality (I see some US players I can't scout), or if the player has previously played in a scoutable region and then gone home to a non scoutable region. Its the player search box at the top that we try and get people to avoid. This bypasses scouting knowledge.

I actually prefer trialling to scouting, the reports seem to be a lot more reliable. That's how I make most of my signings, using my scouts to rate the unattached players then bringing in the best ones in on trial.

It is interesting to hear you say this and I'd love to hear more on your reasoning. I see to always find the opposite, my scouts generally seem to provide me much more information than my coaches. They will at least give me some idea on PA, where my coaches never seem to have this information. In addition the scouting reports will tell me whether the player is interested and what wages they will want ahead of time, which coaches reports wont. Obviously playing the player in a friendly can tell you quite a bit, and trialing will reveal all stats while scouting may not.

Tonbridge Angels- Blue Square South- Season 2011/12

Welcome to the challenge! Great update, they are much appreciated. Sorry to see you lost in the playoff final. Those can be a coin flip unfortunantly. Your first season was sort of like mine where Salisbury just took off and no one was going to catch them. Thats what 1800 rep will do for you lol. Your squad looks very strong so hopefully you can challenge for the champions spot and automatic promotion next season. GL and keep us updated!

edgar555: I'd always trust the bookies over the media. At least the bookies have money on the line so they have to be more accurate. Although.. the bookies still have us as the underdog in every game we play, so they must be losing quite a bit of money on me :p

It is interesting to hear you say this and I'd love to hear more on your reasoning. I see to always find the opposite, my scouts generally seem to provide me much more information than my coaches. They will at least give me some idea on PA, where my coaches never seem to have this information. In addition the scouting reports will tell me whether the player is interested and what wages they will want ahead of time, which coaches reports wont. Obviously playing the player in a friendly can tell you quite a bit, and trialing will reveal all stats while scouting may not.

I find that to get a reliable scout report I need to scout a player multiple times, which I don't always have time to do. Getting him in on trial gives me the chance to get a coach report, which don't seem to vary at all and a chance to compare him directly with the players I already have. Basically, it means I never sign a player and find his stars suddenly drop the second I sign him.

I find that to get a reliable scout report I need to scout a player multiple times, which I don't always have time to do. Getting him in on trial gives me the chance to get a coach report, which don't seem to vary at all and a chance to compare him directly with the players I already have. Basically, it means I never sign a player and find his stars suddenly drop the second I sign him.

Thanks dafuge :) I may have to start trying this a bit more. I've definitely seen some of my players stars drop right away after I sign them. Does trialing them still count as offering a contract? In past versions as soon as you offered a contract, more people would become interested right away. Before the negotiation screens this year I always found that players would sometimes take the first offer they got, even if it was lower. I always tried to make sure I never trialed a player until I was absolutely sure I wanted them as if I offered a trial and someone else came in an offered a contract, they would always take the contract and I lost out. My coaches also never seem to give me decent reports, particularly as PA is concerened. It may be because I don't look for coaches with JA/JP attributes though.

After a mistake in last years challange which saw me sign a foreign player, who then became my star player forcing me to to restart the game i now trial every single person i am interested in purchasing just to be on the safe side! :D

Archived