dafuge's FM11 challenge

Very interesting read Ridleys - Borini will become an absolute pain quite soon (I have a small vendetta against the chap...)

Interesting that you drew pretty much the same number of games in the second season but switched 10 losses to wins. Great turnaround.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a good start to League 2 - Andy Flowers, keeper extraordinaire, declared himself unhappy and has been sold to Championship Bristol City for £65k.

Not what I had hoped for but I don't want unhappy players in the first team. Hopefully, and it's a bit touch and go, a very good Spaniard may join in his place - slim pickings for keepers at the moment.

Jazzfusion: Congrats on promotion! Cool to see someone else have Liam Buchanan. He was crucial to my run last year. I had almost wondered why he hadn't popped up anywhere until I noticed hes now 28. He wont show up under my filters anymore. Pollit also looks excellent dispite his age. You may even be able to convince him to be a great GK coach when he retires!

KLH84: Congrats on back to back promotions! One of these days you'll actually be able to go on a cup run :p

Jaffa: Congrats on promotion to the football league! I see you've almost managed to burn back through that 800k from the arsenal match. Did the board upgrade something, or are you just leaking as much cash as me? lol

Gypsum: Great commentary! I like that the big clubs are resting some players early. If only that match had been played away! What does a full stadium bring at home? I'm still averaging less than 500 lol.

Ridleys: Great review! You were unlucky to lose on penalties in the final. Squad looks good though, hopefully you can grap that champions spot next season.

Re: Yesterdays question of the day: Thanks to all who provided feedback on this question. Always interesting to see what other people are doing with their games. I thought long and hard about this question last night. I've decided this current game will end as soon as the January transfer window/update patch is released in February regardless of how far I've gotten. I'm planning an epic dfc challenge game for after that patch. I will be waiting for the patch both for game fixes and because I don't think I can finish the game I want to play before then anyways.

Re: Too many good players released on a free: It really is a shame to see this and I hope someone has posted in the bug forums on it. Gareth Barry to a league 1 side is just wrong. I haven't noticed in my game yet probably because I haven't gotten very far. In addition my <25 filter makes it so I wouldn't see many of these anyones. I will probably avoid signing any of these players that I see as again, I think it makes the challenge too easy.

Re: Too many good players released on a free: It really is a shame to see this and I hope someone has posted in the bug forums on it. Gareth Barry to a league 1 side is just wrong. I haven't noticed in my game yet probably because I haven't gotten very far. In addition my <25 filter makes it so I wouldn't see many of these anyones. I will probably avoid signing any of these players that I see as again, I think it makes the challenge too easy.

I can understand where you're coming from Quavis. But this is Gareth Barry in 2015. The guy was released by City after a loan spell at Blackburn. He was out of a job for a good while before signing for me. It's natural for a player who isn't getting interest from others to go somewhere lower, where he is getting interest. Plus, it's kinda realistic... after all, League 1 teams often go for the older, more experienced players to try and bump them up the league.

Just my opinion on that.

Gypsum: Great commentary! I like that the big clubs are resting some players early. If only that match had been played away! What does a full stadium bring at home? I'm still averaging less than 500 lol.

Made £75k in gate reciepts from a 4000 capacity attendance. Wish I could have pulled a Farnborough style switch, but it's still a nice amount. This season i'm averaging 3926 in the league, so we're pretty much selling out every game.

I can understand where you're coming from Quavis. But this is Gareth Barry in 2015. The guy was released by City after a loan spell at Blackburn. He was out of a job for a good while before signing for me. It's natural for a player who isn't getting interest from others to go somewhere lower, where he is getting interest. Plus, it's kinda realistic... after all, League 1 teams often go for the older, more experienced players to try and bump them up the league.

Just my opinion on that.

Yeah, I haven't seen what he looks like then and I understand that as players get older they aren't getting as much interest. I was thinking that Gareth Barry would still have been 31-32 in your game, but he is older than I was thinking of. He would be 34-35 in your game, and I'm sure his physical stats by then are probably pretty horrid. I can see him going somewhere on a free by that time (sort of like pires at game start). How are his stats? Do you think he would still be able to play for a championship side? Also slow the heck down lol. 2015 :(

Its still an area SI need to look into. there are many players being released on frees early (28-31), when they could still probably stil warrant a transfer fee.

Ok sounds good, will get holidaying now. And whats the reason for retiring your first manager?

To then add in a manager so that you can take over at one of the promoted clubs. Clubs are promoted with a manager already in charge, so you can't just apply for a job at a team that has been unplayable, you have to add in a new manager to take over.

First season in League 2 and we have secured a play off place !!!!!!!!!!

Really didnt think that would be possible, but 3 straight promotions is a possibility,

Got Colchester in the Semi's and then fingers crossed one of Lincoln or Gillingham in the final

Here we go!!!!

First season in League 2 and we have secured a play off place !!!!!!!!!!

Really didnt think that would be possible, but 3 straight promotions is a possibility,

Got Colchester in the Semi's and then fingers crossed one of Lincoln or Gillingham in the final

Here we go!!!!

Go go go! Good luck PV.

Colwyn Bay, ten games into the league

I thought I'd give an update after my tenth league game, just so people knew how I was doing. After a very good pre-season, I started off my league campaign with a 2-2 draw away against Stalybridge, followed by a 0-0 draw at home against Workington, and a 2-0 loss at the hands of FC Halifax away. After just three games, I was in 19th place and already expecting a relegation battle. Then things suddenly turned around and I was unbeaten in my next seven league games, winning all seven games and steadily rising up the league table to 2nd place. Workington are in the top spot, with only goal difference seperating them and us.

League Table after 10 games

Colwyn Bay league position changes

Results part one

Results part two

As well as doing well in the league, I'm also still in the qualifying stages of the FA Cup after beating Cammell Laird 1-0 in the 2nd qualifying round, drawing 2-2 with Hendon in the 3rd round, and eventually beating Hendon 3-0 on penalties after finishing the match 2-2 once again.

My only transfer signing sinse the league started has been Mark Hartmann on a free transfer. He's played pretty well, getting a couple of assists in league matches.

sig.php?u=10232

Anyone please?

Probably. The EDT file was added last year I believe to make the challenge a bit more difficult. In addition to having deadwood which you must get rid of, it also gives other teams on the same level more players, making them more competitive. If you are going to do the challenge in this thread, its required. If you are just playing a game outside the official challenge, its not needed.

Drew 1-1 away to fellow playoff chasers Sheffield Wednesday. A good result, which I was surprised to see moved us up to 6th in League 1, but it is only on goals difference, there are two other sides on the same amount of points. Only two games to go...

For those still having trouble finding staff: In addition to filtering for "obscure" staff who will sign, also filter "unproven". Despite "unproven" being above "local", "unproven" staff also seem willing to sign, where "local" ones will not. I was about to pick up another couple decent scouts from the unproven filter. I now have 3/6 scouts who are decent! 2/3 cruddy ones have contracts expiring at the end of the year as well :)

Beat relegation candidates Brentford 1-0 at home. Not a great result, considering how close goal difference is. But thankfully the other sides beneath me got poor results. So i'm now 2 points clear in 6th place. Just a draw against mid-table Brighton should secure our playoff place.

GOAL

Emillson gets his head on the end of free kick and plants it in the bottom corner

1 - 0 to Hastings on the night

we go ahead 3-2 on agg with 20 mins to go

The full time whistle blows, Hastings are in the final

a 1-0 victory seals a 3-2- aggregate win

Its Gillingham lying in wait for us as they completed a comfortable 6-2 win over Lincoln

Noticed him available on my game too, should be an excellent signing. Providing he stays fit of course...

He's on very very high wages. I've released 10 people during January to accommodate new signings.

Gareth Barry, Paul Konchesky, Steven Reid, Owen Hargreaves, Ross Turnbull... and maybe a 36 year old Frank Lampard.

Yeah, I haven't seen what he looks like then and I understand that as players get older they aren't getting as much interest. I was thinking that Gareth Barry would still have been 31-32 in your game, but he is older than I was thinking of. He would be 34-35 in your game, and I'm sure his physical stats by then are probably pretty horrid. I can see him going somewhere on a free by that time (sort of like pires at game start). How are his stats? Do you think he would still be able to play for a championship side? Also slow the heck down lol. 2015 :(

Its still an area SI need to look into. there are many players being released on frees early (28-31), when they could still probably stil warrant a transfer fee.

Does seem lots of Clubs waiting for contracts to run out than selling on. I think most of Prem players would retire if they could not play a part for any Prem Team than dropping down leagues.

Most would look for a big pay day in middle east or USA if they did not retire.

Barry does no strike me as a player who would play in the Championship or League 1 no matter how rubbish/old he was. I do think SI need to look at it. Before it was young players retiring instead of play now it old players the other way round.

My star striker just came to me saying he's unhappy about the lack of discipline in the club. What can I do to improve this, as I've promised him things will get better?

Fine players for getting send off - i always fine 2 weeks for a red card, 1 week for a 5 or under performance - and praise for a good perfomance - keeps discipline good

Archived