Gundo's FM11 European Adventure Challenge™

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very unlucky noikeee, having looked through your screenshots it appears you put together a nice collection of players but perhaps it was too little, too late by then.

If you do continue on with the same save it would be interesting to see how Granicar progress with their billionaire, could make for a fun battle later in the game :D

As for your friend in Brno, I am sure it is lovely really. Just not any of the parts I saw ;)

You're right, I shouldn't have gone down with that team. However the level of the croatian second division caught me by surprise, it's much higher than you'd expect. The star players of most clubs have 11 to 14 for all their key attributes. I guess it was a combination of strong opponents + the quality signings only arriving late to my squad + something wrong either with my tactics or motivation or some other subtle planning decisions I failed at.

Oxslow: That's some proper progress in Northern Ireland. Did you do something in particular that you felt got you out of those slow first few years?

Tomaldinho: Think that was a good call on the brazilian kid, prepare yourself that the brazilian kids sometimes stagnate before hitting 18 when you buy them ahead of time, so his profile might still look the same when he arrives to Prague, but he looks like a very good investment for the future.

Gundo: Good job on the promotion.

Now back to my problems, I ehhhhh... ****ed up and broke a rule. I thought I could sign any croatians even if he was playing in a country I couldn't scout. Can I still continue if I release him on a free, he hasn't played any competitive matches yet?

Thanks Tomaldinho. Hopegully you can go 1 better in the league next year.

Gundo it looks like you won the league quite easily in the end. Well done.

noikeee I think it was down to 3 things mainly.

1, I have finaly made a formation that is working quite well for me.(I am still not 100% happy with it.)

2, I got an Assistant Manager with high Determination, Man Management and Motivating and get him to go to the press confrences and normaly take his advice on team talks. This really seams to of helped with moral.

3, Changing less players. Which helped the blending and squad harmony.

R Sprimont Comblain Sport 2013/2014 review

League

Table

Graph

We did okay, scoring plenty, conceding a bit to many. We never were in danger of relegating, but never really challenged for promotion either.

Cup

Cups still suck. I got knocked out in the 4th round by 3rd division Oudenaarde.

Players

Transfers

Player of the season: Jan De Langhe, 14 goals and 10 assists.

Next season

A few key signing, mainly defenders, should provide me with a squad that can challenge for a playoff position.

Season   Pos.  League              Cup             C.League      Euro Cup     Achievements
11/12    9th   3rd Division B      6th round       N/A           N/A          None
12/13    3rd   3rd Division B      5th round       N/A           N/A          Promotion/Manager of the year
13/14    9th   2nd Division	   4th round       N/A	         N/A	      None

Season 4 - Salthill Devon - Irish Premier Division - 1st

League Table

Transfers

Quite a lot of changes again for us in the transfer market, especially halfway through the season when I realised I should be concentrating on younger players that can help us in the future rather than old successful players from the likes of Bohemians and Shamrock. In the end it was quite an easy title and we really started to dominate after a switch to 4-4-2. We also reached the final of the All Ireland Cup and our run in the Euro Cup was pretty short. Thrashed Maltese side Flora before being harshly dumped out by Partizan Belgrade.

Key Players

Jamie O'Hara

Massive signing for a club of our size and he was probably the best player in the league, completely dominated our midfield.

Grzegorz Kmiec

Picked this young pole up halfway through the season after basically scouting everyone I could find in the U21 teams of Eastern European nations, looks to be a great find and that goalscorer we really needed.

Dan Cunningham

Released by Bohemians so we picked him up, solid player on the left but really found form when I gave him a chance up front in a 4-4-2.

Next season will be a lot tougher, already had to totally rebuild our staffing structure after accidently allowing all of their contracts to run down :D Also lost nearly all our experienced players on frees and with the Irish season starting at an unusual time I'm struggling to find replacements. Think it might be difficult to retain the title

NK Olimpija Osijek - 2.HNL (Croatian First Division) - 2012/2013 Season review

Pre-season

I had a poor experience at Granicar, but wasn't going to let that bring me down. It was time to find a new challenge and from the 3 promoted teams, Olimpija, Rastane and Segesta, the later already had a manager. Had to choose between Olimpija and Rastane and went with the Osijek-based purple team since they were theoretically slightly stronger and richer. The wage budget of 52k€/month was nice and I'd never use more than half of it.

But it was basically in the same state I had found Granicar the previous year, meaning I had to buy a whole new team. I did just that and brought in 26 players - plus another 3 would join me through the year. Goalkeeper Marko Sarlija and striker Bosko Stupic looked particularly exceptional and I was confident I wouldn't repeat the stunt I pulled off the previous year with Granicar, the whole getting relegated thing. Unfortunately there was a little misunderstanding when I signed a player I wasn't allowed to by the challenge's rules (I couldn't scout him) so I then decided to free transfer him before he played any matches. Nobody complained yet, so I hope it's ok?

First half of the championship

I made a bit of a tactical revolution, dropping my deep creative 4-1-3-2 for a more practical 4-3-3/4-5-1 variant with 2 defensive midfielders and 2 very attacking wingers. In the beginning it didn't work out that well, with 3 points in the first 5 games but I knew I had faced some of the strongest teams in the league, and in theory the following games would be easier. And they were. The team picked up the pace particularly after a wonderful 3-2 victory at Rastane with Sucic deciding it on the 96th minute. We were however never too clear from the relegation zone, had some disappointing results later on, and went into the winter break in the 12th spot, barely above the red line with 14 points from 15 games.

Improvements and survival

After the break another few poor results against the top teams bumped us into the danger zone, despite the encouraging signings of defenders Marin Con and Ivan Cosic. However I had noticed that we were sometimes scoring a few late winners and generally playing better when I used my B-plan tactic, a very attacking 4-4-2/4-2-4 with AMLs/AMRs. I decided sticking to it as my plan A and immediately got some results - a 3-1 beating of the eventual champions Imotski being the highlight. We held on after that and probably secured our place here for next year when we beat HASK 1-0 with 3 games to go, but it was only confirmed mathematically with an entertaining 4-2 victory over Segesta on the penultimate match. The final game was particularly amusing - we beat Croatia Sesvete 1-0 away and that got them relegated... through an 89th minute own-goal. Ouch.

Info

League: 11th (League Table) (Progress)

Cup:

We didn't play in the cup. I have no idea why, maybe a bug?

(Transfers)

(Stats)

Best eleven

GK - Marko Sarlija - Brought in as a superstar with monster wages and he lived up to the expectations, if we consider goalkeepers never get high average ratings. Saved us lots of times and only commited one bad mistake all year with a crazy run out of goal that got him lobbed.

DR - Ivan Cosic - March signing Cosic didn't get too much time to play, but when he did he was solid. Bit too prone to getting himself booked.

DC - Toni Golem - Only arrived in November but impressed immediately with a goal on debut. Dangerous going forward on corners, got himself 4 goals.

DC - Marin Con - Arrived in March together with Cosic and never left the first eleven. 3 man of the match performances confirm his quality.

DL - Tomislav Sedmak - Did a decent if somewhat unspectacular job on the left all year long.

MC - Roko Mislov - Started as a DC, moved to DMC as Golem and Con arrived, and ended the year as the defensive-minded MC as I changed the tactics. Played better than I expected for his relatively modest skills.

MC - Slavko Blagojevic - I decided to give him the place after the winter break to the detriment of Ivan Begovic, and he did a better job although not fully impressive.

AMR - Mate Sucic - A surprisingly good season from this left-footed inside forward as he ended up as my team's top goalscorer never having played as a striker. Always headed home Acimovic's crosses from the other wing.

AML - Igor Acimovic - The finding of the season, what a star! My staff initially thought he was crap on the left but I stuck with him there all season long and he made 13 assists. Even improved on his weak area (pace) through hard work on training. Won the Young Player of the Year award.

SC - Ivan Lisnic - Injured through most of the early part of the year, and poor when he was fit, substantially improved his performances later on when played as part of a two strikers lineup.

SC - Bosko Stupic - A massive disappointment as he failed to score a single goal until the winter break, the 2nd choice Drazen Jelic wasn't any good neither. Strangely scored 4 in the final 5 matches and got himself a player of the month award.

Plan for next season

Doing the math, things are not looking bad. We got 22 points after the winter break, which means that if we can emulate this performance all year we'd end with 44, that'd be just enough for a top half finish. So that's what I'm aiming for, in fact I think the squad's far too good not to acheive that. However the finances are a massive black hole of debt, we lost 414K€ this year and are now 385K€ in the red. That's fairly worrying, as I'm not sure how are we supposed to pay this. Yet the board are delighted with my control of the wage budget, go figure.

As for Granicar, I don't know yet if they're going to get promoted back. They hired Luciano Spinosi as a manager (italian who was in charge of Roma, Juventus and Milan in the 70s/80s), and expanded the stadium capacity to 5000.

Career history

[b]Season     League           Cup          Europe             Notes[/b]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]NK Granicar Zulanja[/b]
2011/12    2.HNL - 15th     1st round    ---                Relegated; tycoon takes over but too late
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]NK Olimpija Osijek[/b]
2012/13    2.HNL - 11th     ---          ---                Avoided relegation

Budafok Hungarian 2nd Division East 2011/12

Table

Positions

The club had turned semi-pro from amateur when they were promoted. I gave contacts to those likely to be first teamers and left the rest as amateur saving me money. I started off losing a few games and went out of the cup in the first Rd to a lower league club. However the team picked up and went into the midseason break with 33 points from 19 games. I was in 6th and only 5 points from the top with promotion a possibility with success built on a strong defence and 1-0 wins.

After the mid season break my defence collapsed and my strikers didn't score, i picked up just 1 win and 7 points from 11 games to finish well down the table.

Squad

Transfers

On paper the players already at the club looked decent so a few freebies were brought in mostly to act as backup. The lack of an outstanding player was the difference in the season with no player standing out. The strikers were particually poor with my top scorer having just 5 league goals.

Aims for next season:

Try to get some players on FT contracts which will be difficult as my wage budget has been halved so i am now over it :thdn: having been way under. I am only 16K in the red.

Season 5 - Salthill Devon - Irish Premier Division - 1st All Ireland Cup Winners

League Table

All Ireland Cup

Transfers

My team amazed me this season as I really thought it would be a struggle for us, signed a lot of players on loan just because we lacked the numbers but the likes of Fabricio went on to be key players, got some cracking young talent in now and the victory over Madrid shows we arent too far off being a very good side. Our staff situation looks a lot better too, I'm hoping foreign staff means better foreign players coming to our radar. Getting to the group stages in our 1st Champions League season was beyond our wildest dreams. It was tough to get rid of Salzburg but we did it: http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/jamie182_2006/Salzburg1.jpg http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/jamie182_2006/Salzburg2.jpg

Key Players

Kevin Coleman

Our best player, he is absolutely amazing. So solid and very much good enough for the Champions League

Fabricio

Loan signing led the line superbly for us, far too good for our league and right now he has no intention of joining us on a permanent basis.

Dan Cunningham

Another amazing year for the former Bohemians man, as well as being a goalscorer he creates chances for his team mates.

Again more of our old Irish players will be allowed to go which will again leave us with a thin squad, might have to delve into the loan market yet again. We were quite lucky to get to the group stages this year so I hope we can repeat that luck next season.

noikeee - Congrats on the survival and goodluck for the new season.

TAoD - Another good season and a fantastic result against Real Madrid.

Welcome to the challenge AdamFitz and dj clark boy. Although I am disappointed your both Afan Lido, guess theres no love for Bridgend :p

28gti5d.jpg

Lower Maze FC - Season 2014/15 - Northern Irish Carling Premiership

League Table - Transfers - Finances - Squad

A truely great first season in the top flight! We had a great start and were in fact top of the league early on. However we soon met reallity and lost some tight matches we could have won, but all in all we delivered way above expected. We won all three cups we entered this season and filled up our trophycabinet. In the Co-Operative League cup we met Portadown in the final and thumped them 3-0. The second cupvictory was the Rushmere Shopping Centre Mid-Ulster Cup where we won 2-1 over Armagh. The best vicory was still the JJB Sports Northern Irish Cup where we met Coleraine in the final. Out topscorer Glenn Carson scored after just 3 minuttes and gave us a great start, but Coleraine equalized just after the break. However veteran striker Paul Brown showed a glimmer of magic and scored what turned out to be the winning goal after 59 minuttes to make it 2-1. A perfect finish for him, since he will retire this summer. We are going into Europe next season, where the Europa League await us when we start in the 2nd round.

We actually won a couple of awards this season. Glenn Carson became top goalscorer in the premiership this season while Shauin McMinn was awarded Young Player of the Year. I became manager of the year, a nice award.

Financially, we are still struggling. We are more than £250k in red and I can't see the trend changing, unless we get a major income from Europe next season. I'm below 50% of our wage budget, and still we are losing money. Still we had an increase in season tickets this season aswell as an increase in average attendance so we might make some more money next year if the trend continues.

Season   Division       Position   Points   Season tickets  C.League  Europa    Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12   Second          8th        42          27          N/A      N/A      Avoided Relegation
2012/13   Second          2nd        59          27          N/A      N/A      Promotion
2013/14   First           2nd        45          27          N/A      N/A      Promotion, 2 cup victories
2014/15   Premiership     4th        56          43          N/A      N/A      Qualified for europ, 3 cup victories

Afan Lido - 2011/12 Season

I don't want to say much about this season so I'm just going to show the League Table.

[b]Season    League                  Position    Notes[/b]
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/234223-Gundo-s-FM11-European-Adventure-Challenge%E2%84%A2?p=6199699&viewfull=1#post6199699"]2011/12[/url]   Welsh Premier League    11th        Avoided relegation

Good seasons in Wales guys....keep it up :thup:

TAoD - If you click on world then scroll down to competitions, it will show all competitions ranked in order then in bottom left corner where it says world, click and select Europe which will show all European comps in ranked order.

Gent.jpg

Loaded up my first game on FM11 yesterday evening. Decided to try out the Belgian territory.

Picked a club named KRC Gent in the Belgian 3rd div A.

Will upload profile picture etc. later on.

Can't wait to see what the dynamic league reputation will do on a long term game.

Dunloy 2015/16 Season Update - Northern Irish First Premier Division - Marky Mark!

2011/12 - Second Division - 2nd, Promotion!

2012/13 - First Division - 1st, Winners of Intermediate, Steel & Sons Cup - Promotion!

2013/14 - Premier Division - 1st, Winners of League, Irish Cup - Premier Division Champions!

2014/15 - Premier Division - 3rd, 4th in Champions League Group Stage, Winners of League Cup, Irish Cup

2015/16 - Premier Division - 1st, 4th in Europa League Group Stage, Winners of All-Ireland Cup, Irish Cup, Co-An Shield - Premier Division Champions!

38 Pld, 24 Won, 9 Drn, 5 Lst, 79 For, 41 Ag, +38 GD, 81 Pts

League / Domestic Cups: After coming 3rd last season, I was determined to win back my League title of 2 seasons back, and went into the transfer marker looking to strengthen my squad, and I was amazed with the quality of players I could sign after making the CL group stages last season (and now being professional) - in fact for the first time I signed players who had agents! I signed 17 players in all at a total cost of $1.2M. Also, after having way too many draws last season, I went for a more attacking formation - I was either going to win or lose!

After a slow season my new signings started paying off, and whilst I had a very unlucky run of injuries, I still managed to take out the Premiership, 4 points clear of 2nd (and 21 points clear of 3rd). I also took out 3 of the 4 domestic cups on offer, only mising out on the League Cup.

2016 League Table and Graph

Europe: Despite wining back my domestic title, it was now clearly all about my performance in Europe, and once again I had to prove myself in the qualifying stages before I got to the Group stage, this time in the Europa League. The qualifying rounds went as follows:

2nd Qual Rd v Nyiregyhaza (Hungary): 2-0 (H), 3-2 (A)

3rd Qual Rd v PAOK (Greece): 2-2 (H), 3-0 (A)

4th Qual Rd v FC Twente (Holland): 1-2 (A), 1-0 (H)

Due to an injury time winner against FC Twente, I managed to scrape in to the Europa group stages on the away goals rule, and was hoping for more than the 2 points I managed in the CL group stage last season. I was up against Liverpool, Zaragoza and Standard - not an easy group, but it could be a lot worse.

Home wins against Zaragoza (3-2) and Standard (3-0), as well as an away 1-1 draw with Liverpool got me a respectable 7 points, but that was only good enough for 3rd... still, and improvement on last season (although last season was in the Champions League against much stronger opposition).

2016 Europa Group Stage

Star Players / Team Summary

The Fans Player of the season, as well as the Northern Irish signing of the season was free agent, ex West Brom striker, 22 year old Englishman Paul Jarrett.

Paul Jarrett: No standout Technical or Mental attributes, but his Physical stats were enough to dominate the Premier Division, and he managed 27 goals, 17 assists, and 7 MoM at 7.41 from 46 games - not bad for his first season!

Almost as impresive as Jarrett's debut season was another free striker I poached from England, this time 21 year old Stuart Govier from Aston Villa - he was voted the 2nd best Northern Irish signing of the season, and made the perfect strike partner!

Stuart Govier: Whilst his physical attributes aren't as good as those of Jarrett, he actually has half decent technical attributes, and it allowed him to rack up 24 goals, 9 assits and 5 MoM at 7.36 from 40 games - still not sure how he missed out on Fan's Player of the Year, but he get's my unofficial Best U21 Player award

Also, I managed to get Youth Facilities, as well as improved Training Facilities, so I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of youngsters I get through next season, as well as another crack at the Champions League, hopefully I can reach the Group stage again and this time manage more than 2 points!

2016 Seasonal Best XI and Overall Best XI

New Club Records

Biggest Win: 5-0 v Bangor (H) Premier Division 2/1/2016

Highest Scoring Game: 6-2 v Dungannon (N) Irish Cup Semi Final 6/4/2016

Top Goalscorer: Paul Jarrett - 27

Highest Average Rating: Paul Jarrett - 7.41 (46 apps)

Most League Apps for Club: Joseph Raffertty - 112

Highest Transfer Fee Paid: $600,000 (Craig Buck from Linfield - 1/1/2016)

Total Transfer Spending: $1,200,000

Total Steam Achievements: 35 / 86

New Steam Achievements this season: Cup Streak, Record Signing, Thumping, Do the Double, Loyalty Card, Best in the Business

Lots of people doing this in the british islands it seems... although it's definitely a bigger challenge in terms of european football, I don't really find it as attractive as starting in a half-decent championship and having a few other solid teams to play domestically - and possibly dragging them up as you find success in Europe and increase league reputation.

Any of you got to experience this side-effect and affected any of your irish/welsh/northern irish opponents to become half-decent sides?

Blackmama: Good luck in Belgium, is that club related to the Gent side that plays in the premier belgian division and in Europe?

I've decided to start this challenge over. After finally getting to Europe my chariman kills me. Last season I had £5k per week, but this season he cuts it to £2,5k per week. That means I'm just about double before the summer begins and I need to strenghten us......

So I've started over again, this time in Austria. So please welcome the new manager of Donawitzer Sportverein Leoben. Profile. Sunday League was grayed out, so I had to go with Automatic.

Lots of people doing this in the british islands it seems... although it's definitely a bigger challenge in terms of european football, I don't really find it as attractive as starting in a half-decent championship and having a few other solid teams to play domestically - and possibly dragging them up as you find success in Europe and increase league reputation.

Any of you got to experience this side-effect and affected any of your irish/welsh/northern irish opponents to become half-decent sides?

Blackmama: Good luck in Belgium, is that club related to the Gent side that plays in the premier belgian division and in Europe?

Shamrock always battle us all of the way it seems, any players that I go for teams like Shamrock and Bohemians want them too.

I guess they must be located near each other as Gent in the Pro League is listed as my rivals. Will be fun when I beat them :)

14 days into my new job a take over is on the news - I hope they let me keep my job.

Logo.jpg

Season      League                                             Pos       Cup      Champs Lg      Euro Cup      Achievements
2010/11     Second Division South Gotaland                     11th      N/A       N/A              N/A             N/A
2011/12     Second Division South Gotaland                      5th      N/A       N/A              N/A             N/A
2012/13     Second Division South Gotaland                      5th      N/A       N/A              N/A             N/A

Not much happened in my 3rd season. After finishing 5th I thought it would be correct to push on for that top spot. How wrong I was in the end. I was in last place until just after halfway in the season and struggling. Struggling so much I went back to FML for a week or so! I ended up switching a tactic I had around and letting the Assistant Manager control all team talks. This worked and we pushed on to 5th place in the end.

No-one in my squad deserves any praise by posting details here. My hope is that my end of season form now runs into the start of the season. In Sweden we play 22 games. To go up it seems you need 42 points. It should not be this hard to get that but it evidently is!

Afan Lido - 2012/13 Season

Again, the less said about this season the better. Finding it very hard to find good quality players and to drag myself up the table. Looking to improve the finances so I can have better youth players coming through. If there is one positive, it's that we took 7 points more from this season than we did from last. Here's the League Table.

[b]Season    League                  Position    Notes[/b]
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/234223-Gundo-s-FM11-European-Adventure-Challenge%E2%84%A2?p=6199699&viewfull=1#post6199699"]2011/12[/url]   Welsh Premier League    11th        Avoided relegation
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/234223-Gundo-s-FM11-European-Adventure-Challenge%E2%84%A2?p=6207976&viewfull=1#post6207976"]2012/13[/url]   Welsh Premier League    11th        7 points better off

Oxslow - Northern Ireland - Desertmartin - Season 7

Season Review

A great season that came down to the last game of the season and if I lost I would finish 2nd or 3rd but I won :D. Now I have completed 1/2 of the challenge so now I have qualified for the Champions league Which is the hard part of the challenge.

Squad

Star Player

League Table

Co-operative Cup

Setanta Cup

Career Overview

Season     League Finish          Achievements
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    12th Championship 2    None
2012/13    9th  Championship 2    None
2013/14    10th Championship 2    Intermediate Cup, Irish Cup Winners
2014/15    1st  Championship 2    Setanta Cup Winners, Championship 2 Champions
2015/16    1st  Championship 1    Irish Cup Winners, Championship 1 Champions
2016/17    4th  Premiership       Setanta Cup Winners
2017/18    1st  Premiership       Co-operative Cup, Setanta Cup Winners, Premiership Champions

Next Season

To get a slightly larger squad without destroying the wage budget. I don't think I will be able to do that much in Europe, but I hope I can make a bit of money.

Archived