Gundo's FM11 European Adventure Challenge™

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Careful Fastbasher, don't underestimate Honka even though I did just beat them 6-1 away in Espoo :D

They have no players at the moment, so hard to gauge them. Anyway, have to get past Glenavon first. The off season is proving difficult to get decent players to sign. Even half decent ones want Ł1k per week.

These greedy agents are really ****ing me off.

So, update number 2 from Ahlafors IF, and it's a quick one.

Preseason went well, especially as I brougt in 6 players for sell on clauses only. They are all significantly better than the current players so if they don't keep me up, nothing will! About to play my first league match now. Next update will come sometime tomorrow, probably after around 5 league games :thup:

I had a pretty good attempt at this challenge last year, and got about 10 seasons in Denmark in - but FM11 came around too fast for me to see it through to the conclusion.

So, I'll be returning to Denmark this time around - FC Djursland, my previous club, got promoted in real life so they aren't available for the challenge, so I've moved on to Frederiksberg Boldklub (or FB for short). They're in the Second Division East and are a team from Copenhagen, which I'm hoping in the long term means we've got a more populated catchment area and therefore a larger potential fan base. It'll be a while before we have to worry about filling more than about 2% of our 5,000 capacity stadium though.

Here's my manager profile: Cristoval Alvarez

Incidentally - have any other Mac users had trouble taking screenshots? Had to go quite the circuitous route to get the above as the in-game shortcut wouldn't do anything...

Well it begins again! :cool:

Norway was always going to be the country that i would start this adventure, but the question was which team? Did i opt for a new club or one that i took to greatness in a former version of this challenge. Well i loaded up the leagues and was working my way through the 4 different Second Division sub-leagues in the Norwegian bottom tier. I was busy looking at all of the different teams and then i stumbled upon the team that took my fancy. So here we have it!

Here it is the profile of the legendary manager Marcus Evan Cook Picture1-1.png

Unfortunately the season wasn't anything to write home about!

Skjetten finished where they were expected in a miserable 9th position. http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/Gundo%20FM11/Picture3.png

Players

The squad needed an overhaul so many new players were recruited, all on frees. The two to have the most impact were:

Ortiz - My Argentinean AMR who provided a high number of assists and did very well for a 31 year old. http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/Gundo%20FM11/Picture2.png

Hakala - My Finnish 34 year old DC who was a rock at the heart of the defence and was voted player of the year by the supporters. http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/Gundo%20FM11/Picture1.png

So that is a very brief over view of what's happened in my game. I have recruited a fair number of new players and have changed to the Group 2 of the Second Division, not sure why!

We're aiming for promotion, but with only the top place team gaining promotion it will be tough :confused:

Welcome back Iseemonsters1 and Cookie and good luck.

Wow, got some excitement in the early Euro ties.

After dispatching Glenavon 5-0(h) and 0-1(a), I was off to Finland. Honka won the away leg 2-0, and we were only 1-0 up at home deep in stoppage time when my tactical substitution (in the 72nd min) of Brazilian Dyjan Azevedo came through and scored the equaliser on aggregate and send it to extra time. He scored again in the 97th min and Maric made it safe in the 112th.

The refs were a bit trigger happy. 9 yellows and a red in the first leg, 10 yellows in the second leg.

Our reward is a money spinning trip to Rangers in the 3rd qualifying round. Looks like finances might be taken care of.

The one mil i was supposed to get "throughout the year" never really happened, or if it did, nothing changed. We're still bleeding money and we are close to 2 mil in debt...and back in League 2. Greece's money sucks :(

And the board wants me to cut 500k Euros in salaries AND win the league and promotion. WTF.

Thats actually quite a nice group B.W.G. I like getting some big names in the early days. Add to the excitement, with no pressure.

Rangers carved me up pretty good. I lost 4-1 at home, and 2-0 away. Still, got Ł148k for competing in the round, and Ł78k for each of the previous ties.

Santa Claus 2015 - µUpdate

The Finnish cup is a bit strange, theres no seeding and the premier league sides enter quite early so theres a big chance of lower sides getting through. This was to my advantage as by the time I reached the final I was to face non-league opposition.

The timing for a giant killing by them couldn't have been worse, they meet a Santa Claus team that has won 10 league matches in a row and with 4 quality strikers all in form. So obviously the match finished 7-0. We are the champions!

I don't think I've ever had a player in form quite like Timo Furuholm, hes amazing.

Santa Claus 2015

We had a bit of a slow start in Veikkausliiga and hovered around midtable for the first few matches. Meanwhile HJK raced away to a massive lead. Pretty soon though my strikers turned hot, very hot. At the start of the run HJK were 13 points clear of 2nd place and we were in 5th. In the next 14 matches we scored 50 goals, conceding just 6, all victories (one being the cup final). This left us 4 points behind HJK with 2 games left to play, it was still possible but then we lost to Lahti 1-0, damn. Still a fantastic season.

League: 2nd

Squad: Brilliant

Best Player: Timo Furuholm (Most veikkausliiga assists, goals, MOM's, Veikkausliiga player of the year)

Best non-Finn: Laur Călin

Top Scorer: Timo Furuholm

Gods of Goals: Timo Furuholm, Laur Călin, Ken Kallaste, Aleksandr Kokko

Next season: Europe, lets have fun!

Year | League        | Position | Finnish Cup | League Cup | Europe
-------------------------------------------------------------------
2012 | Ykkönen       | 7th      | 3rd Round   | N/A        | N/A
2013 | Ykkönen       | 3rd      | 3rd Round   | N/A        | N/A
2014 | Ykkönen       | 1st      | 3rd Round   | N/A        | N/A
2015 | Veikkausliiga | 2nd      | Winners     | Quarters   | N/A

Wow. I don't even know what to say to this.

Picture1-2.png

So, we get relegated, and this goes on:

- Hey, there is no money for new players.

- Oh, and also you have to cut the budget by 500.000 euros.

- By the way, we expect to come back to the Superliga.

- As champions.

- Never mind, even though you are the best defense in any Greek team in any league this year, and you are five points away from automatic promotion and one point away form the promotion group stage, you are fired. Doesn't even matter that you renewed your contract to make 60 euros per year just to help the club. You're out.

- By the way, thanks for our first promotion to the Superliga in 11 years. See ya.

Here is the table.

This is major BS. Major. I don't even know if I feel like starting a third time. This is ridiculous. a manager would NEVER be fired just like that, in these circumstances. what the hell.

Well, blessing in disguise. Hanged around until June of next year and saw that Asteras Tripoleos just got promoted to the Second Division. They have 2 mil in the bank, offer 200k for signings, and expect to be mid table this year. I'll take it. And we'll see how it goes. So let's just assume this guy is the evil twin of the manager who retired a few months back I guess.

My first personal goal will not be mid table. Or promotion. It will be crashing those ingrateful bastards at Panachaiki. They finished 10th. Ha.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx163/Sigameschallenge/Picture4-2.png

Start Otwock - Polish First Division - 11/12

9957.gif

Let’s get right to it, then. Our next match was away to table topping Gornik Leczna. Like I mentioned previously, we might be facing them at the perfect time due to injuries and suspensions to their key players. Their form has been the definition of sketchy lately, as they’ve alternated wins and losses in their last 6 games. However, I know it will be anything but an easy task. As a matter of fact, out of respect to the quality of the opposition, I sprung a few tactical surprises for this match. I took out our leading scorer and the creative hub of the team, Bartosz Kozakiewicz and drafted in 6’7” DMC Michal Trzeciakiewicz. Mmmmm, 19 jumping. Also, the fit again Michal Bala return to the starting lineup in a new role. As opposed to the poacher’s role he previously was employed in, I decide to utilize his well-rounded physical stats (for the division) and use him as a target man, with Tomasz Urban along side.

Game #16 : (A) Gornik Leczna 1-1

The game began exactly as I expected it to, with us attempting to soak up pressure, but Gornik decidedly on the front foot, generating chances. A Gornik cross from deep led to a corner, which led to the first goal of the game, just before the half hour mark. They continued to pass the ball around and probe for openings, as we were content to sit deep. Gornik Leczna were encamped in our half. The second half began in the same vein. We hadn’t even managed so much as a shot on target. But I felt that as long as the difference was only one goal, I felt that, however slight, there was a chance. In the 83rd minute, our keeper Anusiewicz made a good save, making himself big to prevent the game from slipping out of reach. In added time, we poured forward and a long ball played down the right channel led to a free kick for us from a good position on the right side of the area. Our usual DMC, who was pushed forward as a box to box mid in this match, bent in a quality free kick, which their keeper could only push out right to the feet of our tower of strength at the back, Lewandowski. He reacted quickly to slot in. From a set piece, our only shot on target of the match was the equalizer in injury time. Good teams take advantage of situations like that. Wait….did I just call us a good team?

Game #17: (H) GKP Gorzow 1-0

A rather boring first half against a very decent Gorzow side. We arguably had the better of the play, with Bala’s lack of composure leading to a one on one opportunity going to waste. In the 2nd half, it was much of the same, it was a game without much incident. The game sprung to life, though, when Mazurkiewicz popped up with another goal from a set piece for us – turning in Trela’s delivery. It produced a very tense finale, with Anusiewicz proving his worth with a fantastic save late on to preserve the victory for us.

Game #18: (H) GKS Katowice 2-2

With a two week break between our win against Gorzow and this fixture, a record crowd of 700 was expected to turn up at Tadeusza Slusarskiego. I was anxious to see how we’d perform. Unfortunately, we’d be weakened before a ball was even kicked, since our starting keeper, the in form Anusiewicz, would miss out with the flu. The eccentric, old keeper and captain, Bulka would take his place – but hopefully we won’t need him to perform any heroics in this match. The story of this match? The bitter taste of throwing away 2 points. Our first goal came in the 36th minute. Mikhalevskyi, recalled for this match, crossed from the left, and it bounced off the keeper’s legs and in. We were pegged back immediately and as a result the match was finely poised until the hour mark. It was then that we took the lead, scoring a wonderful goal on the counter. Bala, who was moved to the right wing during the match, played a great ball for substitute striker Urban, and he bore down with Mikhalevskyi for support, 2 on 1. His square pass allowed Mikhalevskyi to slot into an empty net with his left foot. The crowd went mental. We withstood waves of Katowice attacks. I was a nervous wreck during this match, couldn’t even bare to look at times, such was the importance of these 3 points, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the pressure told and we capitulated 3 minutes before time, their striker making space for himself in the box and redirecting a good cross from their left into the net. Gutted with the draw.

Game #19: (A) Flota Swinoujscie

It was a tepid affair in the first half, with 10th place Flota having the better of the chances. Probably contributing to this was my decision to go back to my 4-1-3-2 variant. Fortunately for us, their finishing was absolutely dire. In the second half, there were some definite talking points, with Ukranian striker Mihalevskyi involved in nearly all of them. First, he contrived to miss two great opportunities. The second was especially clear cut – when a cool head was required to take it round the keeper, he decided to blast it straight at him. Then, when, substitute Wocial had claims for a stonewall penalty turned down, the team was incensed. Especially Mikhalevskyi. Normally, I wouldn’t have a huge problem with displays of passion like that – except the striker was on a yellow card. Bye bye, he got sent off for dissent. And with us having gone down a goal after a comical Trela own goal early in the second half, things did not look promising. 10 minutes remained for us to try to sneak a result. And we got it, thanks to some route one football. We bypassed the midfield, with Wocial latching on to a long ball, using his fresh legs to outstrip the defenders and arrowing an unstoppable effort high into the far corner. Job done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 6 of our last 7 games, we have only managed to score only one goal. We’ve managed to stay undefeated through that streak, ironically. But where that becomes problematic is that 5 of those games have ended in draws. Our improved defense and never say die attitude have been admirable, no question. But the harsh reality is that we’re losing sight of the promotion chasers with every draw and that’s a bit demoralizing, to be honest.

Speaking of morale, my left backs don’t seem to like each other very much. I’ve been rotating them all season based on merit and a few days prior to the Flota match, Klecz announced that he found Nowotka, who had just happened to be enjoying a run in the team, impossible to work with. Hmmmph….my players. If they’re not moaning about their contracts, they’re bitching about each other.

NEXT UPDATE: SUMMARY OF OUR POSITION AND OUTLOOK

Start Otwock – Polish First Division – Winter Break 11/12

9957.gif

ANALYSIS: Winter break has arrived in Poland and my honest appraisal is that I doubt we have the quality to keep pace with the promotion chasing pack this season. I’d love to be proven wrong in the end, but my instinct is telling me that it may be too tall an order for our squad this season. Through 19 games, meaning over half of the season, this is the table. As you can see, we’re sitting 5th in a very condensed table, currently 6 points from promotion. As I mentioned in the previous post, though unbeaten in our 7, we’ve drawn 5 of those games, which has seen the gap swell. What is this down to? Our away form and our inability to score on our travels. At the friendly confines of Taduesza Slusarskiego, we are performing brilliantly, with 7 wins, 2 draws and only 1 loss. In those games, we are averaging over 2 goals per game. On our travels, however, were are managing only one per game and have won only once all season. If we’re to have any chance of promotion, we’ll definitely need to be turning a few more of those draws into wins. And this goes back to my comment on the quality of the squad – maybe we just don’t have that extra bit of quality to do that this season?

Regardless, during the winter break, I will be assessing the squad in depth and scouting the region for talent. Maybe I’ll be able to strengthen the squad once the transfer window opens. The problem is, though I do have about 2k per week to play with in terms of wages, I have players committed to contracts and don’t want to bloat the squad unnecessarily.

As a first time manager in the lower leagues, it’s definitely a lot to think about and analyze, but I’m still having a great time doing it.

KEY PLAYERS OF THE FIRST HALF:

Tomasz Lewandowski – a tower of strength at the back. The rock upon which our defense is built. Immense in the air.

Jaroslaw Mazurkiewicz – The picture of consistency. I use him as a DM, he’s also chipped in with an impressive 7 assists.

Bartosz Kozakiewicz – Great at arriving late in the box to turn in crosses. Leads the counter attack with his dribbling and incisive passes. Very creative, calm on the ball. Probably the only player on my team that can play one touch football effectively.

Finances

NEXT UPDATE: THE RETURN FROM THE WINTER BREAK

You forgot me, the only person that commented on your update. :D

Anyways, I dropped the Belarus challenge, just like Twellman24. After I got relegated, I did not have the inspiration to start over or to continue. Holidaying Norway but I think I'm gonna go either for Iceland, Greece or Ukraine.

Good to see a couple of people taking on the challenge in Northern Ireland - been working hard to make the lower league structures in N.I. more realistic - still a work in progress but it certainly looks improved from previous games - especially the finances and youth recruitment. Dunloy signing Bob Malcolm though is still unrealistic - for a number of reason, will have to look into the reps and reduce them even further for some clubs, also will look at the transfer preference options :)

the greyham, good to see you managing in Ireland as well - although Salthill doesn't fit in with Gundo's criteria - I know that the play-off is annoying but it's reality - just this week Salthill beat Cobh Ramblers to stay in the First Division for next season in real life. If you want to do it properly, what I'd suggest is save the game the night before the play-offs - keep reloading until the bottom club get beat and hey presto, you'll have a new club to manage and in turn, fit in with the criteria of this thread. Not having a pop, just trying to help!

Twellman24 - I hope you crush that ungrateful club. Good luck in Croatia Konquest. KUTGW everyone :thup:

Bridgend Town - Principality Welsh Premier League - 2018/19

Transfers - None were made as there were no players who could improve the squad were interested.

Competitions

Welsh Premier - Table - The quality of my team is just too great at the moment but this was the last season of the Welsh Prem being 1*. It will be a bit tighter overall in the future not necessarily at the top because I am not going to be relenquishing my crown any time soon.

Champions League - Group Stages - 1st up in the competition were Olimpija in the 2nd qualifier, disposed of them 6-1 on agg.(1st leg:2nd leg). Next up was Slovan Liberec of Czech Republic, over the 2 legs we won 7-0 on agg. (1st leg:2nd leg). I was greeted with my toughest draw I've had in the champions playoff, I was drawn against Standard Liege. We won 4-1 on agg, the 1st leg we should had lost although the 2nd was more comfortble.(1st leg:2nd leg). After that battle I was greeted with the group of death, 1 draw and 5 deafeats later I was out. The draw was against Wolfsburg, although I did get beat by Lyon 4-3 in the last game but they went on to win the competition.

Welsh Cup - Winners - I just love beating TNS as its so satisfying. Its a shame dynamic rivalry isn't in the game as they are my rivals for now.

Welsh League Cup - Winners - Was very one sided then my players fell asleep in the last 5 minutes and they managed to score.

Players/Awards

I won Manager of the Year making it 8 in a row.

RobYates was top scorer overall with 39 and was Top Scorer in the Welsh Prem which was a Bridgend clean sweep overall.

Alan Williams was top of the assists chart with 27 beating his own record by 3. He also won Fans Player of the Year.

David Hughes won Young Player of the Year

David Stewart won Welsh Young Player of the Year

No Youth Prospects this Yeat but facilites are being improves so chances will be greater of more break through stars.

Expectations

Same as Every year, to continue dominating and improving where needed.

Domestically will be more challenging hopefully as the Welsh Premier is now ranked at 149th and is rated at 1.5*. Its now bigger then the Icelandic Premier Division WOOOOOO!!!! Time to go back in for that Icelandic centre mid I like the look of :p

Season     League    Cup              C.League      Euro Cup     Achievements
2011/12    2nd      Runners Up        N/A             N/A        Euro Cup Qualifcation
2012/13    1st      Winners           N/A             2nd QL     Domestic Treble
2013/14    1st      Winners           2nd QL          N/A        Domestic Treble
2014/15    1st      Winners           2nd QL          N/A        Domestic Treble.     
2015/16    1st      Winners           Play Off        Group      Domestic Treble.
2016/17    1st      Winners           Group Stage     N/A        Domestic Treble
2017/18    1st      Winners           Group Stage     N/A        Domestic Treble
2018/19    1st      Winners           Group Stage     N/A        Domestic Treble

Decided this is the challenge for me this year. Always wanted to do it with Northern Ireland but been waiting on dynamic

leagues, so with that now in the game I think its time :) will be wiping the pc tonight and hopefully will get set up in the Northern Irish leagues tomorrow evening.

Just had an enjoyable read through of some of the updates above, great stuff all round :thup:

Great progress B.W.G., you are absolutely flying which makes it all the more fun to witness the progression. BWZ_Tomek, good luck for your second half of the campaign, I am sure you will be there or thereabouts by the final gameweek. Twellman24 I would have been absoltuely mortified to have seen that message and I wouldn't have come back for more punishment so good on you for doing that, it looks like you've landed on your feet though :thup: And great stuff Quackje, enjoy your European adventure :D

I realise there are plently more updates flying about now and I have read them all but I should really be working, so good luck to one and all! I have an update of my own to write up later which is very exciting indeed.

Are the other teams starting to get better players in BWG, your regular group stage visits are clearly making a difference but how far does it go?

That is a premature sacking indeed Twellman.

Not at the moment, theres only really TNS who are trying to get better players in. The others are just seem to be signing players released from other Welsh clubs. This is TNS stand out player...Chris White...his report says he is a Leading Welsh Prem Player, can't believe my scouts missed that one.This next one was a transfer battle between me and TNS which I won...Lewis Macey. This shows that at least another team is trying to get better quality in.

Thanks Tomaldinho :thup:

I am so lucky, that there's one team that sucks more than I do. 8 games in, 2 draws and 6 losses. But beacause only 1 team gets relegated, I still hope for survival. Telstar is rock bottom with 9 straight losses, so hopefully I will survive this year.

A lot of money in this league by the way

i did try it 4-5 times as stated in this thread but salthill just wouldnt loose. i will leave the decision to gundo. i dont want to resart now tho i'm attached to this file now

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/234223-Gundo-s-FM11-European-Adventure-Challenge%E2%84%A2/page2

post 103 and post 106

I sent you a PM before.:)

Quackje - I think I have a theory for the lower reputation clubs. For the lower reputation clubs to sign better players, they need to perform better in higher reputation competitions. With this being the 1st full season at being 1.5* then where ever the clubs finish in the league should help gain them a better reputation and help attract better players.

The bigger reputation clubs in the league already have high enough reputation from being in Europe constantly so would have less affect on them. The best bet for this would be see who teams are going after once the season is over which for me will be the the summer window in 2020

As for the finance side, I got £122,500 for TV rights for this season which would probably help teams if they get similar amounts.

croman and the greyham, wasn't intentional. I just blame the fact that it was very late at night and I was tired. ;)Tomaldinho - thanks and let's hope I can make a big second half push for promotion.

B.W.G. - very good update, as usual. Great to see the Welsh division making strides. You were unlucky to get such a difficult group in the Champions League. I have a funny feeling though that this is the year you'll make it out of the group stage, though. :)

Thanks BWZ, although I don't have your optimism for getting out of the groups stages as I've been drawn against Barcelona, Inter Milan and Rangers so 3rd is achievable. So technically I could get out the group stages :p

Archived