FM11 Big Euro Nation: Small Club to Big Club Challenge

21 games in, and I'm in a right relegation battle. We are pretty much punching above weight but my squad is deteriorating. Hopefully I can stay up and start rebuilding the squad in my image. So far, I've signed two players and the core of the squad is essentially my predecessors. Anyways, big up to all my frenchies attempting this challenge. Bonne chance.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mid season update (Season 2)

Worst then last year im actuly 17th in the leauge of 18 teams..... lost 7 games in a row in the beginning of the season with my old tactics. after that i decided to change going more offensive that just made it worse. after 10 games i only had 2 points. so i had to do some dramastic changes. Went more defensive and got some wins and now my mission is not to get relegated or fired :D

2011/12 - US Raon-l'Etape - French National Division

Logo-2.png

Transfer Budget: 30k

Wage Budget: 11.25k p/w

Finances: 323k

Transfers - 5 IN (115k) & 4 OUT (Zero)

We had a decent-ish squad more than capable of keeping us up but it needed strengthening further to progress up the league. Three strikers came in, Balde and Benkajjane featured the most and Rafael Paraiba was pretty useless in the games he did play. I spent a huge 100k on Tommy de Jong from Paris-Alfortville, money wasted again as his early season promise faded. The other player signed was 34 year old Argentinean, Hugo Barrientos, after he was offered to me by his agent, he slotted in at DM to add that much needed experience.

League - 5th

A huge overachievement for a club predicted to finish down in 14th. I told the chairman avoiding relegation was the name of my game and we blew that out of the water. From the off we bouncing around the 7th to 3rd positions before a blip put the mockers on things, at one stage we had 6 disallowed goals in games and we missed 3 penalties, only if. After dropping down to 14th, we consolidated and began to put a string of results together that got us back into the top half. Another little blip was a worry, early season all over again? No, not this time. The team pulled together and ground out the results to move us into the heart of the top half. We had the chance to finish one place higher in 4th but got beat by lowly Chamois Niortais to allow US Orleans in above us.

French Cup - 8th Round

We entered the cup in the 7th round where we beat FC Les Lilas in extra time 2-1. Round 8 drew us against Sporting Toulon Var where again we went to extra time but we lost out this time 2-0.

Squad

Top Scorer - Wesley Ngo Baheng, 12

Most Assists - Romain Chouleur, 11

Most MOM - Wesley Ngo Baheng, 5

Ave Rating - Romain Chouleur, 7.19

Other Notable Players - Hassan Benkajjane

Finances - 6k

Well after having a decent starting budget we lost money hand over fist but thanks to a 400k windfall for finishing 5th we end just in the black. We will do well to have any sort of budget to buy players next season. A stadium expansion is planned with 675 seat being added at a cost of just under 90k.

Season | Division              | Pos | Cup      | Europe            | Other Achievements
11/12  | National              | 5th | 8th Rnd  | n/a               | -

Great work ToMexico, lovely review. As a a fellow Frenchie, I'd be very pleased to get a solid 5th in my first season, although I suspect I my struggle to emulate you there! Btw, how do you go about adding the 'Code' section at the end with your history? Just so that I can do the same when I get to mine...

brand.gif

English manager Chris Waddle has been named as the new manager of Serie C2B side Arezzo.

Atletico Arezzo (formerly A.C. Arezzo) is an Italian football club based in Arezzo, Tuscany. The club was formed in 1923. The club made its return in the Serie B in 2004 after 11 seasons between Serie C and Serie D divisions. The team's home colours are all amaranth. The away colours are all white. At the end of the 2009-10 Lega Pro Prima Divisione season the club went bankrupt and a new club with the current denomination was entered in Serie D. Promotion to Serie C2 was achieved and Waddle will lead them in the new campaign....

Looking forward to this as Arezzo is the team i had identified as wanting to manage.

FORZA AREZZO!!

Well we got a victory in our second league game, a 2:1 victory over Rodengo, an awesome result and two very good goals as well. Just now trying to get the team to work together, going to try and ignore the Serie C cup this season and send out reserves, unless I need to use them for gelling the team together.

Hey guys, looks like this will be my first port of call in CSE. Darmstadt I believe are still alive. According to wiki they finished 15th again in the league and they were brought out of insolvency at some point in 2009. Heaps of debt apparently. Good times. Can anyone confirm this for me as I don't have the game yet.

Mon Die Lillien! <3

After a slight failure in my career game, I decided to start a challenge. And I wanted to go to Russia because I had a lot of fun in Russia in my FM10 career game.

Ricky Nakano on the road again, from nice and cold Canada, to just cold Russia, in Novorossiysk. They have a 12,500 all-seater called Central, with Good training facilities, Adequate youth facilities, Fairy basic youth recruitment, and mostly importantly $5 million+ in the coffers. :)

Talk about my team sucking, we had a win in the bag, first they scored a lucky goal from a corner, and then in the 91st minute, a ball was handled in the box my guys appealed for the handball, while their striker hit it into the net. Opposition win 2:1 to leave us last in the league after 7 games with just 4pts. I complain after the fact at a press conference, and the FA is silent...that gives me my answer...

Talk about an unsustainable team:

Total Monthly Income - £52k

Monthly Wage Bill - £125k

hmm.... we're currently spilling around £100k a month. Luckily the balance is around £2m.

So far, after the initial 3 defeats we've been something of a revelation. Once the injured started to recover we started getting some wins and after 13 games we're sitting in 6th [W7 D1 L5] and just 8 points off top.

Its only 2 promotion spots in a league of 20, and no playoffs so I dont think we'll have the quality to go up this season, but I'm currently not worrying about relegation, which is nice

UD_P%C3%A1jara_Playas_de_Jand%C3%ADa_escudo.png

End of Season Update - U.D. Pajara Playas de Jandia - 2011/12

Transfers

I was definitely shopping at the bottom of the market, as we all are. 18 players came in and 10 left without any transfer fees changing hands. The biggest name was definitely Ivan Campo who came in at the end of his career.

League

Well, first season up I would always have been happy with safety. For about half the season it looked like I wouldn't achieve that. Thankfully however the form turned and we managed to drag ourselves out of the mire. Though we weren't mathematically safe until very near the end of the season we had built up enough a buffer for me to be pretty sure of ourselves and in the end we finished in a fairly healthy 13th place. Decent place to kick on next season hopefully.

Areas that need work are definitely at the back. We conceded far too many goals.

Players

I won't go through the full squad yet, as most of them were pretty average, I will just show you the two players who broke an average rating of over 7 for the season.

Tono Fernandez - If it's true that to get out of the lower leagues you need a big lump up front, then this guy is the biggest and lumpiest forward around. Big, strong but with very few other definable skills, he battered the defences and finished as my top scorer.

Roberto Carlos Mansilla - Came in in January, and was a good capture. A solid defender.

Story So Far

Season			League			Position			Achievements/Wins
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12		Second Division B4		13th				Avoided Relegation

So, my scout suggests a 17 yr old DC and he looks ok and seems to be available on a free, so I click 'approach to sign' and see i'd have to pay £27k in compensation!

So, i exit talks and offer them £0, which they accept. However, now the bugger wont talk to me after our last contract talks broke down. I never even offered him a contract!!

These new features are, erm, challenging...

Football_Club_Messina-logo-FC2CB9EAEB-seeklogo.com.gif

Here's Alessandro Serpente, Messina's new manager. After a spectacular fall from grace due to financial problems, Messina are trying to climb back up the pyramid to Serie A again. Let's hope Serpente can provide the driving force to maximise their potential!

I tried this challenge on FM09, and used Messina, but never really got into the game, so hopefully I'll keep it going a bit longer this time :p

19 games into the season and Wuppertaler SV Borussia are lying in 5th place. totally confounding the critics. Think I'll start using club nickname Der WSV as it's easier than typing the whole bloody name out. One thing is I'm 2k over my wage budget

So, my scout suggests a 17 yr old DC and he looks ok and seems to be available on a free, so I click 'approach to sign' and see i'd have to pay £27k in compensation!

So, i exit talks and offer them £0, which they accept. However, now the bugger wont talk to me after our last contract talks broke down. I never even offered him a contract!!

These new features are, erm, challenging...

further to this, having still never offered this kid a contract, i get a message 11 days later saying he's turned down his current clubs latest contract offer, then one saying he's all set to sign for me, then I have to confirm his signing.

He's now set to join us in the next transfer window. I have no idea what contract he'll be on...

Well I went and grabbed some much needed sleep, am back now and I have uploaded my save game to the FTP, I was really starting to get into the game as well, but with no scouting I would have to start again. I can give everyone a tip on how to avoid it happening, make sure you tick the "Add Key Staff" box at the start as this will generate some staff member at every club and I have only been able to make the bug happen at clubs that had no staff at the beginning it seems to work everywhere else.

i also had this problem, not sure i want to try restarting tho, dont want to risk losing angri...managed to get a few different staff members in now, gonna be a tough first season or two til i find my feet with this god-awful squad...

first friendly i could only manage a 0-0 draw with my own reserves! lmao

Brilliant. Another question (sorry this is all new to me!): photobucket - do I need to choose Pro if I want to be able to upload enough screenshots for regular end of season updates? Or is the Standard package enough?

i dont have pro

Brilliant. Another question (sorry this is all new to me!): photobucket - do I need to choose Pro if I want to be able to upload enough screenshots for regular end of season updates? Or is the Standard package enough?

I've always done it with the standard account and it's done me well enough for regular updates.

Bugger, was just writing my end of season update, had taken and uploaded all my screenshot and was just ready to post the update when my game crashes. Aargghhhh!!! Luckily I only have three matches to re-play, and it shouldn't make much difference to the outcome, but it will mean doing the screenshots etc all over again. Oh well...

Struggle city this season. Let around 3/4 of my squad go to rebuild with better models and to restructure the wages and its all gone pete tong, well to a certain extent. We're yet to gel as a squad and are struggling for goals. Although we have probably had the toughest start to a season imaginable, Cannes, Vannes, Ajaccio, Brest and Quimper, playing against four former Ligue 2 teams was difficult.

you want my advice?

save it at the end of the season, before you take screenshots ;)

THANKS Doc :mad: Glad to see you haven't lost your sacrcasm and sympathy ;)

Hope GW Voller is still going strong by the way.

Anyways, season finished (again) and saved. Finished one place lower this time around but I can live with that. End of season review coming shortly...

Red_Star_Paris_logo.PNG

2011/12 - Red Star Football Club 93 - French National Division

Transfer Budget: £42k

Wage Budget: £12.7k p/w

Finances: £400k

Transfers - 15 IN (£42k) & 10 OUT (£7k)

Red Star 93's squad needed serious re-building in order to make it in any way competitive. So a complete overhaul took place. 10 players were let go early on to make room for new blood. A total of 15 players were then brought in throughout the course of the season. Most new signings were reasonably successful, making a good contribution to the campaign. The exception was defensive midfielder Cyrille Noyer who hardly made an impression and will be on his way out over the summer.

League - 9th

Red Star were predicted by the media to finish 14th and the Board were even more pessimistic, asking me merely to avoid relegation. Early on the team confounded expectations and Red Star 93 found themselves in 5th place a quarter of the way through the season. However, long-term injuries to three of our top strikers - including Matias Saad (see below) - seemed to call a halt to our early success and by mid-season we had slumped to 10th. Nevertheless, the team recovered somewhat after Christmas and the fans, Board, players and manager can all be pleased with a very respectable 9th placed finish.

French Cup - 10th Round

The Cup proved an enjoyable distraction to the league this season. We made through to the 10th Round having started in the 7th. The highlight was defeating Ligue 2 side Chamois Niortais 2-0 in the 9th Round.

Key Players

Matias Saad. The star player of the season and by far my best buy. Top goalscorer (14 goals from 16 appearances) and highest averaging rating (7.37), Saad was outstanding. If only he hadn't been injured for half the season!

Matthieu Labbe. Overlooked at the beginning to the season, Labbe came into his own in the second half of the season, pitching in 6 goals and 6 assist in 19 appearances from right midfield. Average of 7.16 for the season.

Romain Trouche. Not the most sparkling player but deserves a mention for notching up 40 appearances over the season with some solid performances. Now a transfer target for Reims and Nimes but we'll be looking to hold onto him.

Finances - £60k

We have lost over £340k from our bank account this season, despite keeping within the salary and transfer budgets set by the Board. With plans to let go of at least 10 players when contracts end shortly however, we still should at least have scope for making some free agent signings to strengthen the squad and build on our solid first season in the French National.

Next Season Ambitions

We'll be looking to build the squad and challenge for the promotion spots, but realistically we should be satisfied by improving on this season's 9th.

Season		League				Position 	    Achievements/Wins
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12		French National		9th		Consolidated. 10th Rnd, Cup

Lenny - Saad looks like a great player for that level, in fact I'd say he can certainly cut it in Ligue 2, unfortunately your link to Trouche also takes us to see him.

Great first season though. Plenty to build on for next year.

Lenny - Saad looks like a great player for that level, in fact I'd say he can certainly cut it in Ligue 2, unfortunately your link to Trouche also takes us to see him.

Great first season though. Plenty to build on for next year.

Cheers PRDH. Yeah, he's been fantastic and agree he'd do well in Ligue 2 as well. Having trouble with some of the links - just trying to sort them out now...

Archived