[FM11] FC United of Manchester Thread - The Red Rebels!

TacticalGenius

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update: I'm into December 2012 in BS Conference. I've just for the first time hit the top, on goal difference from Lincoln. I'm undefeated but have drawn a lot of games.

The big news is that in the Third Round of the FA Cup I'm drawn at home to our rivals - LIVERPOOL.

Having used the editor to relocate us to the Newton Heath stadium, capacity 5071, I guess we'll lose a fortune - hopefully we'll be only the telly, if they don't change the kick-off time!

For the second season in a row Andy Walsh has sold our best regen, so our coffers are overflowing. I wouldn't mind a stadium expansion sooner rather than later.

In the first and second rounds of the FA Cup we beat Exeter and Walsall after replays in extremely tight, back-to-the-wall victories. Both are struggling in League Two, suggesting that if we get promotion into the football league this season, we won't have such an easy ride.

Time for a big update - End of season 2019-20:

League:

epltable1920.png

Winners! It came down to the last day, but a 2-0 win over United gave us the title. We scored an EPL record amount of goals too, thanks largely to club and League record goalscorer Carlos Ibanez.

Domestic Cups:

Not much to report here. Beaten 1-0 at Wembley in the Community Shield by United - though I treated it like a friendly. In the Carling Cup I gave out debuts like confetti, and it paid off in the Third Round, beating WBA 3-0, but we suffered a surprising 2-0 defeat at the hands of Premier League side Plymouth Argyle. In the FA Cup, a late goal from Ibanez saw us past Newcastle 1-0, but against Chelsea in the Fourth Round we didn't bring our A-Game and were subsequently beaten 2-1.

Champions League:

Our group consisted of us, Shakhtar, Zenit and Atletico Madrid. We qualified top, only losing against Atletico away. We drew Schalke in the 1st Knockout round, beating them 3-2 on aggregate. Next up were Roma in the QF, who we drew 0-0 with at home. Needing a miracle in the away leg, it never came, and 3 goals to 1 later, we were on the plane home and out for this year. United won it.

Awards:

I covered the World and European awards in the midseason update, and so won't do so again here. But domestically, we cleaned up:

efoy1920.png

A clean sweep for Footballer of the Year!

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/eppoy1920.png - English player's Player of the Year

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/eplts1920.png - Premier League Top Goalscorer

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/epypoy1920.png - English player's Young Player of the year

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/toty1920.png - Team of the Year

Europe:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/goldboot1920.png - European Golden Boot

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/uclbp1920.png - UCL Best Player

Season's best three players:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/ibanez1920.png - Carlos Ibanez

51 goals in as many games, EPL records broken for most League goals scored in a season(44) and Most Man of the Match(16). All while up top on his own. Legend.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/cioffi1920.png - Massimo Cioffi

Chipped in a good few goals along with his assists, the Wonderkid just keeps improving! Fighting off Chelsea and Barcelona to keep him.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/basile1920.png - Marcelo Basile

Solid defender, our ROCK at the back. Handy in the box at set-pieces, too.

NEXT SEASON: With a £53m transfer budget and £800k wage budget spare, I'm looking for another Striker to back up Ibanez, as Caligiuri isn't ready yet, and a new CM to partner Gonzalez as Battersby is injury-prone. Cups wise, I want a double. I don't care which double, but I want more than the solitaty trophy gained this year...

First signing is Febian Brandy. :thup:

How on Earth did you manage that?? I got him on loan in my Cambridge United save in the BSP. Him and Antoine Curier are ripping other BSP defenses to shreds! I'd love to sign Brandy for FC United but he's just been signed by Notts County.

Little update.

Currently sit top after 10 games. Very close so only by a point or so.

Made it into the first round of the cup, where I've been rewarded with a home tie against Exeter.

Brandy hasn't really lived up to the hype, don't know if I'm expecting too much from him.

Yeah. I'm into January now and he's scoring for fun.

Managed to create a six point lead at the top but Guiseley who are in second have a game in hand.

Currently playing Stockport in the FA Trophy 2nd Round after beating Grimsby away in the last round.

Managed to play quite a lot today so I've completed my first season.

Champions and FA Trophy winners.

Star performers have to be Brandy who ended the season with 42 goals in 48 and Jamil Adam who ended the season with 37 goals in 49. What a strike partnership they are.

Bring on the BSP! Will post up my signing shortly.

Into February of 2013 and have established a commanding lead in the Conference. This was helped by an embarrassing first round home defeat to Histon in the Trophy (we were the holders). In the FA Cup we went down 0-1 at home to a second-string Liverpool side, losing by an own goal from our captain. Pity that, the gate at Anfield would have been sweet. Despite the TV money, the receipts from Newton Heath Arena's 5071 capacity cost us big.

I'm now preparing to shed the players who aren't going to make it - the kids have had 3 years to prove themselves - a dozen will be released/sold at the end of the season as we prepare for life in the football league.

Into July 2013 now. I secured promotion although our form crashed just short of the finishing post. I've put up 19 players for sale who have been with us 2-3 years, including most of our academy products. A stunning-looking midfielder has come through this time and some good-looking other prospects, so I won't go on a spending spree.

In fact we're losing a chunk of money anyway. As a result of my creating the Newton Heath Arena, capacity 5071 (81 seats), to get into the Football League the ground needs 2500 extra seats. The extension takes 7 months, leaving us in the stadium our reserves use until Christmas. Yet to find out the capacity. An inauspicious start to our league career (at least out captain isn't abandoning us, eh Wimbledon?); we shall overcome.

If memory serves me correctly, this is the first time in many years of lower league management that I've actually got as far as league football! Exciting times.

• 4 weeks later...
Just got this in my Inbox. Not sure if it'll be a good thing or a bad thing.

JimWheatoNews_Inbox-4.png

Now that is interesting. For me, Walsh has sold off my star youth every season, so I'd appreciate a boss who doesn't do that - on the other hand he could be far worse!

I'm into Feb 2014 now and sit atop the League Two table. The only point of note is the stadium. I used the editor to have us move into a 5071 capacity stadium in 2012. Now, as we got promotion, league regulations required some development. So we were temporarily in an athletics stadium until December until the redevelopment was complete. Turns out more seats were added but the capacity is still the same. We're 80-90% full every home game so that's a disappointment.

Well, we've finally been taken over by a Zivinice-based businessman. He's thrown an extra £1.3m into the teams account, but he's also saying he might let me go in favour of a different manager (eventhough I've got the team back to back promotions, won the FA Trophy on my first attempt, and am in the FA Trophy final this year).

Edit: He's decided to keep me employed! :D That's the good news. The bad news is that he said he'd throw money into improving the youth and training facilities, but has now decided it's not worth his money.

First friendly match of the 2013/14 season, and I beat Sunderland 2-1! My players left it until the 90th minute to score two goals, after going 1-0 behind in the 71st minute. Great win, and I hope this is a sign of good things to come this season.

FCUnitedvSunderlandInformation_Overview.png

Pre-season over. The results were hit and miss, but I did play seven money making games so I didn't expect great results.

In terms of signings, I purchased seven players and hired some replacement staff. The players I signed were Barry Robson who used to play for Middlesbrough, a young keeper named Ludovic Grondin, ex Bristol and Leicester defender Robbie Neilson, a young attacking midfielder simply named Rudy, Jordan Brown from West Ham, ex Hull striker Mark Cullen, and Jordan Lukaku from AZ. Also got a seventeen year old left attacking midfielder from Man City named Massimiliano Magnani. Spent £525k on players so far.

Sold and let go of seventeen players. Managed to get £80k total for four players I sold on. Not bad, but I do have a couple more players I don't want and who I'd like to make some money out of.

The media predict that I'll finish 24th in the league (I'm used to that by now). I told the board I think I can end the season mid-table, but I'm hoping for third promotion in a row.

I eventually convinced the board to upgrade the youth and training facilities, and I also got Preston as a parent club and Barrow as a feeder club.

Edit: Forgot to say, I'm fcunitedfan on a different account.

Just got an incredible result against West Brom. We won 3-2! I decided to change back to my old 4-4-2 tactic so that Mark Cullen wasn't crowded out up front, and the change really helped us get the win. Cullen finished the game with two goals, and nearly got a hattrick but was slightly offside when his third one went in. To be honest, I'm still shocked that I won.

FCUnitedvWestBromInformation_Overview.png

I lost my epic FC United save to a virus which wiped out my entire operating system a while ago. Oh well, roll on FM2012.

Oh no :( You need to stop downloading something that contains viruses :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived