[FM11] FC United of Manchester Thread - The Red Rebels!

TacticalGenius

New holiday save, and both FC United and FC Halifax have been promoted into the BSN. Heart says play as FCUM, brain says FCH.

FCH:

(+) Professional, better training/youth facilities, own stadium, better reputation.

(-) Tiny squad.

FCUM:

(+) OK squad, better stadium to begin with.

(-) Terrible facilities, managed them to glory three times before.

Decisions, decisions...

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New savegame:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0njoprp559n7rgl

England to BSN/BSS, Top two divisions from - France, Holland, Italy, Spain and Germany playable AND the rest of the leagues in the game (all of them) on view-only. Top Players from all continents loaded as well as all players from England.

Both FC United and FC Halifax were promoted to BSN.

I'm going to have a break from my FC United save for a week or two. Fancy playing as a different team. Going to play as Cambridge United (My hometown), and see if I can get them back to Championship level and maybe even the Premiership.

Both FC United and FC Halifax were promoted to BSN.

Playing with Uncle Ron's db and managing FCUM, it was nice to see not only FCUM ANd FC Halifax promoted from Evostick Premier, but Chester promoted from Div 1 (we beat them in the pre-season Peter Swales and I got a gong!). in the second season all 3 look odds on for back-to-back promotions with AFC Wimbledon topping the BSC. Power to the people, right on!!!

[i'm dawdling, due to work commitments, in December 2011 in BSN. Running away with it; my young lads have come on leaps and bounds and are gelled and much stronger than last year when we just won the title].

I'm getting back into my Colwyn Bay save right now. It's a tough task, but I'm just about holding the BSN top spot in my first season.

Edit: If I don't win promotion with Colwyn Bay in the season I'm in now, I'll give FC Halifax a go. I swear playing as Colwyn Bay is going to give me a nervous breakdown soon. They're not an easy team to play as.

Forget everything else FM11 related. Look at this screenshot, as it's an awesome sight. I'm proud of my team, even if we lose by a ridiculous amount of goals. http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/Colwyn%20Bay%20FM11/ManUtdvFCUnitedClassicPitchView.png

Edit: Half time, and it's 2-1 to FC United! Ignore the stats, as the scoreline is all that matters. http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/Colwyn%20Bay%20FM11/ManUtdvFCUnitedInformation_Overview.png

Edit 2: Final score, 5-2 to Manchester United. They came out in the second half and showed their dominance. I'm proud of my team though, for going in front twice against a Premiership team.

I don't know whether to post my FC United updates in here, or in the Dafuge's Challenge thread. I'm playing by the challenge's rules, but it'd be good to keep this thread alive if people are still reading it and are still interested.

I don't know whether to post my FC United updates in here, or in the Dafuge's Challenge thread. I'm playing by the challenge's rules, but it'd be good to keep this thread alive if people are still reading it and are still interested.

Go ahead. I don't go to the Dafuge Challenge thread, but I'll enjoy reading your campaign here.

I got a few game-weeks in over the last few days. I've bagged the BSN with TEN games to go! Now I'm bringing my kids in from loan and giving them a run in the first team. The big guns are saved for the FA Trophy semis and final. If the first season was mostly about experimenting with tactics and gelling, the second season has been a stormer with many of the kids quite seasoned now. I also brought in a few 20 year old (Premier League youth rejects) to add more strength to the first team squad.

My only regret was in the FA Cup. We got to the third round and were drawn away to a Premier League side! It was Cardiff, languishing in 19th, just ahead of Nottm. Forest. I was too damn cautious and went 0-2 down at half time. It was at that point that I decided to throw on a 15 year old striker - he scored and was man of the match even tho' we lost 1-2. I should have started with him and played more boldly. Ah well, banked nearly 250,000GBP. Trophy matches against Conference opposition have been tight, single-goal victories, suggesting a more competitive season, but I still fancy us to win it.

Just started my save with FCUM in the BSN, only about 8 games in and sitting in 3rd place. As I've not played FM in years I'm struggling to find some good players to bring in, mainly on free transfers. Does anyone have any tips on where to find decent free transfers or know any decent players i should go for?

Finally got into the prem in 2019. In December now and hovering dangerously above relegation in 17th. Never got my new ground when I got promoted they just added 1000 seats to the current stadium.

Had a nice £16 million transfer kitty and bought a top class 5* SC Brazilian u20 regen. He has 30 brazil youth caps and scored 34 goals. Has scored 13 in 20 for me so far this season so hopefully he will keep improving and can build a team around him. I just wish my defence would learn how to defend and also not give away stupid penalties all the time.

Just started my save with FCUM in the BSN, only about 8 games in and sitting in 3rd place. As I've not played FM in years I'm struggling to find some good players to bring in, mainly on free transfers. Does anyone have any tips on where to find decent free transfers or know any decent players i should go for?

Two strikers I recommend who play well together are Danny Uchechi and Benedict Akwuegbu. Carl Pentney was a great keeper for my team in the BSN. He conceded 17 in 32 games. Joe Holt is a great central midfielder at that level. Michael Stewart and Sam Simmonds are a good pairing at the back.

FC United Of Manchester - League Two Review - 2013/14

Media Prediction: 24th

Actual Position: 1st

Results Part 1

Results Part 2

Results Part 3

Some excellent results in my league games against some tough teams. The December/January conjestion was hard, but my squad was big enough that I always had fully fit players to play in each game. My best run of results were nearer the end of the season, where my team went on a 13 game unbeaten run.

League Table

Top of the table, 36 points in front, and with the best goal difference by far. We tore through League Two with relative ease, and were Champions with 8 games to go. I won manager of the season, and my striker Gregoire Puel scored the second most goals in the league. Not bad going by Puel, considering he didn't sign for us until October.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

We got knocked out very early on, which wasn't a bad thing as I don't think the team would have coped well with more matches and an even more congested fixture list.

League Cup

Not a great first attempt at the League Cup. We beat Leisester, but West Brom beat us easily. I'm sure we'll get further next year.

FA Cup

Excellent run, getting to the 5th round and playing Manchester United at Old Trafford. The money made from the FA Cup this year was a huge amount for our team. Here's Manchester United vs FC United for your viewing pleasure. We went in front twice in the first half, but then Man UTD dominated the second half. It was a great game, and I'm proud of my players for the way they played.

Key Players

Gregoire Puel: Top scorer for the team, and second top scorer in League Two. Puel was deservedly Fans' Player of the Year. He also got the highest average rating in League Two, and the most Man of the Match awards.

Darius Henderson: Scored a fair few. Shame he was out of the team injured for 2 months. If he had played in more matches, he may well have been the teams top scored instead of Puel.

Ben Clark: Once again, he was solid as a rock at the back. Bagged a few goals and got a few assists as well.

Trent McClenahan: He played brilliantly at the back again. He's a class player, and loads of teams are interested in him.

Nathan Rooney: Switched between central midfield and left winger, and played well in both positions. Scored 10 goals, and got an FC United record breaking 14 assists. He managed to get the third best average rating in the league.

2013/14 Transfers

Only spent £1k, and earned £155k. Not bad for a munch of top quality signings. I also signed a lot of new staff members, and put a few players on new player/coach contracts.

Finances

Made over £1.5m profit, mainly from my FA Cup run. I tried my best to keep the wages down, but with each promotion the amount spent on wages goes up a lot.

Pre-Season 2014 Plans

I want to improve a couple of areas of the squad, but for the most part we're already set for the season ahead. I've got a few high profile teams for friendly matches to get a bit more income. I have a transfer budger of just over £1.7m which I'll probably spend very little of. My wage budget is just under £27k, and I'm currently spending just under £10k on wages.

League One Preview

I can see League One being a lot tougher than League Two, and I definitely don't think we can win it. Maybe a play-off place if we're lucky, but I'd be happy to finish in the top half of the table. I've told the board I can acheive a mid-table finish, so they should be happy with a top half finish.

Pre-Season 2014/15

Friendly Results

Some good results, and my new signings are gelling with the rest of the team well. The win against Notts County was a great result.

Transfers

I only brought in seven players, a few of which are youngers who'll hopefully develop into good Championship/Premiership players. I made a good amount from selling a few players. Fulham spending £200k was a surprise, as the player they bought was only worth £120k. M'Poku didn't play great last season, so getting rid of him won't hurt my team.

First Team/Tactics

Sticking to the same 4-4-2 that got me so much success the previous season.

Finances

After selling a few players, my transfer budget is nearly £2m. My finances are very secure, and I'll hopefully make a fair bit more this season.

Wages

I'm still well under my budget, and it'll probably stay that way for this season.

The Season Ahead

I've been predicted to finish at the bottom of the table. The media predicted the very same last season, but they were very wrong.

I'm hoping Puel picks up where he left off, scoring loads of goals. Also want Rooney to get as many if not more assists as he got last year.

An FA Cup run like last seasons would be excellent, as would a better League Cup run.

How many leagues do you all have loaded? All I have is the English leagues, and players from top clubs in all the continents. I was playing with Dafuge's rules, so couldn't load any other leagues. I'm really tempted to restart with loads more leagues loaded.

In the FC United/FC Halifax save you put in here with all the leagues on view only, how many players are loaded? I'm only asking so I can decide whether to use that save, or make my own new save with more European leagues set as playable.

In the FC United/FC Halifax save you put in here with all the leagues on view only, how many players are loaded? I'm only asking so I can decide whether to use that save, or make my own new save with more European leagues set as playable.

Somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000.

Just finished my first season with FC United

Made a lot of transfers at the beginning but no one was interested in buying my crap so had to release

FCUnitedofManchesterTransfers_History.png

The league was pretty easy to be honest with me finishing 13 points clear of 2nd place

Evo-StikLeaguePremierDivisionInformation_LeagueTable.png

Went out of all the cups early though so i could concentrate on the league

The team averaged quite low but my strikers and center backs did me proud

FCUnitedofManchesterFCUnited_Players.png

Looking forward to next season in Blue Square North with a total of 200k in the bank :cool:

I completed my second season - won the BSN by a country mile and finished the season with a victory at Wembley in the FA Trophy (beating Salisbury).

If I'm invited to the England Trials again I may pick up one or two signings, but so far in the close season I've released my last original FC United player, Scott McManus, and recruited just 2 kids on top of the 6 academy kids I'm retaining to trial over the coming season. I'm very confident in my squad - they are growing together, are a very tight-knit and loyal group, and I don't want to dilute it.

We've just moved into the 5000 capacity Newton Heath Arena that I created in the pre-game editor. We should get 60-80% capacity with a good atmosphere, and no more rent to Bury. At the same time my training facilities were downgraded, so I might use the cash I don't need for transfers and wages to improve the infrastructure. I got affiliated to Wigan, who won the Championship - so that's nice, I think.

Cup games against Conference opposition have all been very tight, so I'm not going to run away with any championships this year; nevertheless, I do think we should be challenging - I'm very up for it!!!

PS Congratulations to AFC Wimbledon for their promotion to where they belong - the Football League, that did all it could to destroy them.

I've started a new save with FC United. Got pretty much the same setup as TG league wise, but I loaded the lower leagues in the countries I have as playable. The database is at 68000 players, so plenty to choose from. I've thrown Dafuge's rules right out the window. I'll do a proper update when I'm 20 or so league games into the season, showing who I've signed and how the team are doing in the league and the cup/trophy. I've signed a fair few players, and the squad it mega strong for a BSN team.

I signed that Cristian Tiboni guy at the end of my first season (his agent offered him to me) and he is tearing up the BSP. Him and Ngo Baheng are incredible. Tiboni's has attributes that would see him succeed in the higher leagues but he joined me on only £700 per week!

Moving into a stadium that they won't be building... Naughty!

Well it was genuinely in the pipeline when I made it in the editor! If i was trying to be naughty I'd have given it 50K capacity, not 5.

To be honest, I expect it to act against me. The advantage is that I save on the rental of Gigg Lane, but i don't really need the cash, thanks since I'm focusing on my youths.

The disadvantage is the 5000 capacity. I was averaging 16-17% at Gigg Lane, or a tad over 2000, but I'm optimistic that in a couple of years I'll fill 5K easily. Then there's attractive home cup ties that I'll lose out on.

Well it was genuinely in the pipeline when I made it in the editor! If i was trying to be naughty I'd have given it 50K capacity, not 5.

To be honest, I expect it to act against me. The advantage is that I save on the rental of Gigg Lane, but i don't really need the cash, thanks since I'm focusing on my youths.

The disadvantage is the 5000 capacity. I was averaging 16-17% at Gigg Lane, or a tad over 2000, but I'm optimistic that in a couple of years I'll fill 5K easily. Then there's attractive home cup ties that I'll lose out on.

My hunch is bearing out. Eight games into the season and I have the highest home average gate. 83% of capacity (Only Truro with it's max of 2000 is over 50% apart from me).

What's nice is the atmosphere - packed terraces, lovely. Can't wait to visit Gateshead with it's 2% capacity!

The chairman's just sold my best player (a regen) for 400K, dammit. He, more than anyone, should understand that the ethos of this club is not about making money. wonder if we'll get a new stand out of it in due course.

Hi all!

Quick introduction: My name is Maurice, I'm a Dutchman who moved to England couple years back and a long time stalker but first time poster here ;-). I have been playing FM on and off over the years, starting with Championship Manager 2003 (which had the first 2D engine :cool:), only to pick it up again with FM10. Now into FM11, after playing a Feyenoord (team I support) and Napoli save, I fancied a new challenge. I decided to try my hand at the English Hero achievement and after reading this thread decided to try it with FC United. I have a lot of sympathy for FC, as being a Feyenoord supporter I have witnessed what big debts can do to a once great club and the initiative of founding FC in 2005 is something I greatly respect. I hope Manchester United won't share the same fate!

Nine games in, I am listed first in the competition with 21 points and having 2 points on number 2, Gainsborough. After playing saves like Napoli, Feyenoord and Leverkusen, I have to say: What a world of difference in the lower leagues! But, I wanted a challenge and that is what I got! Every match has been a battle with narrow wins and a couple of draws, except my match against Lowestoft which ended in a 5 - 1 win for me! On the other hand, misery was my part when I was knocked out off the FA Cup 2nd qualifying round against low flyers Camell Laird. I know guys, I am already hanging my head in shame... :(

I have signed 4 players: with the best being midfielder Andrew Brand. He is playing as a Ball Winning Midfielder (support) and has scored 5 times in 9 matches including a hat-trick in the match against Lowestoft. He is solid in midfield and the best player in the team at the moment. The other players are Connor Branson (DC), Matthew Reece (ST) and Russ Archibald (DR). Branson and Archibald are performing well with Branson scoring 2 crucial headers to win me 1 match and draw me another one. Reece is doing ok for me at the moment, getting 2 balls netted and in better form than Norton who has been a tad disappointing for me.

However, my biggest weakness at this time is Sam Ashton, the goalkeeper. I might be expecting too much since this is my first LL game, but I just don't feel safe with him between the sticks. I would like to replace him but have not found any good/better goalkeeper within my budget. Anyone around that has any suggestions for a new keeper? Or should I keep Ashton until I (hopefully) promote?

Financially I am doing ok, not surprising seeing the attendances but will have to keep a close eye on it. I am however, slightly disappointed with the pre-season friendlies, as I only had Nottingham Forest and Bury as big bags of pounds available to visit me.

I am playing a variation on the 4-2-3-1 formation at the moment with a defensive/counter 4-4-2 in the tougher matches. My usual starting line up:

Norton

Wright Camden Wolfenden

Brand Platt

Deland Pike Branson Archibald

I would really like to see some good constructive feedback, and don't forget it is my first game in the lower leage. TG, brilliant OP which persuaded me to try FC. Keep up the good work mate! :-)

Game on,

Maurice

Thanks Maurice! Glad it helped you choose :)

In my opinion, Ashton has a good few years in him. On my first FC save he was first choice until the Championship, and on my second save he was only replaced (as first choice) because I got a regen early on in the second (I think) season who went on to be world class. He remained a bench player for many seasons. If you still feel the need to replace him, I can't offer any suggestions for names, but I suggest you maybe look on the loan list for young higher league keepers looking for experience?

Thanks TG! I might just stick with him then, esp since we only conceded 5 goals (although I think that is more to do with the combination Pike - Branson than Ashton). What do you think of the line up? The forum made it look a bit funky but think of it as I said, a 4-2-3-1.

In a game against Gainsborough now, which is placed 2nd behind me so wish me luck! :-)

Edit: a 0 - 0 draw gave Histon the chance to gain on us, but still unbeaten. Go FC!

Hi Maurice, and welcome to the World of FC United. I wish you the best of luck in what will hopefully be a fun and successful save for you.

In my current FC United save, I got a young English keeper named Jordan Bradshaw on a free transfer. After 34 games, he's only conceded 23. In my opinion, he's a great young keeper for the lower leagues.

Thanks unitedfan! I've checked Bradshaw out and I agree he is a good keeper for the lower leagues. Unfortunately though, Banbury snapped him up but I'll see if I can arrange something. I have 25k left on my wage budget but players to go to free up some funds. Hope for the best!

By the way, TG, may I ask what kind of background/skin you are using and where I could possibly obtain it? Looks sexy...

It's the dark skin, using Radestock's background mod, and the background and attribute colours from the 2010 Steklo X skin.

Started playing my epic FC United save again! For those new to the career, or those that don't remember, here's a recap:

It's 2019-20 and we're into our fourth Premier League season. I joined the club in 2011-12, when they were promoted into the BSP. Back-to-back promotions saw us into the Premiership, and in the first season we finished a creditable 8th. In our second top flight season we finished 4th and won the FA Cup, and gained Champions League football. Season three we won the league, and reached the UCL semi-finals, losing 2-1 on aggregate to Napoli... The complete history is here.

The starting 11 looks like this:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/ianfoster.png

Signed from Gainsborough in 2013-14 aged 16 for £7,000, he has been our starting Keeper ever since and an ex-Wonderkid. And what a keeper!!!

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/stujacobs.png

RB signed from Blackpool in 2018-19, for a fee of £2.3m

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/mbasile.png

Immense CB signed from Velez for £12.25m in 2018-19. Already had bids of £40m+ for him.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/mherrera.png

Another Argie CB, again signed in 2018-19. £10.75m changed hands, from Newells.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/claudinho.png

Originally from Gremio, Man City let him go for £2m in 2016-17. Big mistake! Fantastic LB, ex-Wonderkid.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/gilmar.png

Solid DMC bought from Flamenco for his release fee of £3.6m at 16, got him as soon as he turned 18. Hasn't stopped developing since.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/battersby.png

An Englishman! Bought from Sheff Utd in 2015-16 for £2,500 (yes you read that right!) and has developed into a class B2B MC.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/gonzalez.png

Bought this season to replace a World Class MC (sold by the board for £39.5m) from River Plate for £12m. Bargain. Strangely, never capped.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/morrison.png

Ah, Morrison. Ex-United wild child, signed for £85,000 from Bristol City in 2015-16. And just look at him now!

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/cioffi.png

Another Wonderkid, another steal. £1m from St Gallen in 2017-18.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/ibanez.png

What can I say? Just WOW. £15m from Newells in 2017-18, the best player I've ever owned or even seen. Says it all.

I'll post a few promising youngsters soon ;)

So that's the recap, and here goes! It's November, and we're currently second in the league, and top of our UCL group after 4 games. Update coming in January.

Time for the World and European awards, and:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/wgb19.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/wpoy19.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/esoy19.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/edoy19.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/egoy19.png

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/wtoy19.png

Gunning for that little b*stard Messi, Ibanez will knock the c*nt off the World Player of the Year perch next year... He has won it 9 seasons straight. He had won the Golden Ball every season too, until now. :)

You still playing at Gigg Lane, or have you managed to get your own stadium?

We moved into the Marginson Stadium in 2018, capacity 18,000 odd. We got an upgrade at the end of the season, taking it to 25,296. The loan to build the stadium is shown on the Summary SS above.

We make between £200k and £1m a month profit. It is only transfers and the loan that make the finances look 'okay' (according to FM).

Oh yeah, didn't notice the high ground maintenance costs. Marginson Stadium :p You do all the hard work getting the team to the Premiership,and they name the new stadium after an old manager from many years ago. It's a nice sized stadium though. Are you managing to fill it regularly?

I just finished an amazing first season in my big FC United save. Check it out!

Blue Square North

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/FC%20United%20FM11%20stuff/BlueSquareBetNorthInformation_Stages.png

Only lost one league game all season. Can't believe I managed to pull that off.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/FC%20United%20FM11%20stuff/JimWheatoNews_Inbox-2.png

Top Goalscorer. Maton was a great signing for my team :D

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/FC%20United%20FM11%20stuff/JimWheatoNews_Inbox-3.png

I got manager of the season!

FA Cup

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/ManUtdvFCUnitedInformation_Overview.png

Got to the fourth round, then Manchester United destroyed us 5-0.

FA Trophy

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/FC%20United%20FM11%20stuff/FCUnitedvCheltenhamInformation_Overview.png

There's the final, and it took penalties but I eventually won. :)

Transfers

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/FC%20United%20FM11%20stuff/FCUnitedofManchesterTransfers_History-2.png

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/FC%20United%20FM11%20stuff/FCUnitedofManchesterTransfers_History-2-1.png

I went a bit crazy, and signed loads of new players. They thankfully gelled very quickly, and played great together all season. I also offloaded a fair few players.

Finances

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/FC%20United%20FM11%20stuff/FCUnitedofManchesterBoardroom_Finances-3.png

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/FC%20United%20FM11%20stuff/FCUnitedofManchesterBoardroom_Finances-2-1.png

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/wheatorules/FC%20United%20FM11%20stuff/FCUnitedofManchesterBoardroom_Finances-3-1.png

I've made a nice bit of cash due to the FA Cup game against Manchester United, and the great FA Trophy run. I hardly spent anything on transfers, and managed to keep my wages in check.

Archived