FM11 - The Official Birmingham City Thread

Ishu

Overview

Birmingham City Football Club is a professional football club based in the city of Birmingham, England. Formed in 1875 as Small Heath Alliance, they became Small Heath in 1888, Birmingham F.C. in 1905, finally becoming Birmingham City F.C. in 1943. At the end of the 2008–09 season, they were promoted from the Football League Championship to spend their sixth season in the Premier League.

In July 2007, Hong Kong-based businessman Carson Yeung bought 29.9% of shares in the club, making him the biggest single shareholder, with a view to taking full control in the future. Uncertain as to his future under possible new owners, Bruce left in mid-season to become manager of Premier League rivals Wigan Athletic. His successor, Scotland national team manager Alex McLeish, was unable to stave off relegation, but achieved promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt, and a ninth-place finish, their best for 51 years, the following season.

kitse.png

For the 2010–11 season, the club's supporters were invited to vote for their preferred home shirt from a choice of four. The winner was royal blue with a shallow white chevron across the chest and sleeves, to be worn with white shorts and blue socks. The away kit consists of a white shirt with blue trim, blue shorts and white socks, and a third kit has the same styling as the away kit, red and white replacing white and blue. The kit is manufactured by Chinese sportswear company Xtep, who signed a contract reportedly worth £7.8 million over five years to supply the club's playing and training kit and associated leisurewear, and carries the name of the sponsors, F&C Investments.

100nq.jpg

St Andrew's has been their home ground since 1906. Its current capacity is 30,079. There have been plans to build a new all purpose stadium called 'The City of Birmingham Stadium' with a capacity of 55,000. They have a long-standing and fierce rivalry with Aston Villa, their nearest neighbours, with whom they play the Second City derby. The club's nickname is Blues, due to the colour of their kit, and their fans are known as Bluenoses.

FM

Club Information

Full Name - Birmingham City Football Club

Nicknames - Blues, Bluenoses

Founded - 1875

Ground - St. Andrews, Birmingham (Capacity: 30,006)

Chairman - Carson Yeung

Manager - Alex McLeish

Legends - Gil Merrick, Jeff Hall, Joe Bradford, Trevor Francis

Icons - Christophe Duggary, Mikael Forssell, Geoff Horsfield, Barry Fry

Favoured Personnel - Sten Lazaridis

Derbies - Second City Derby (Vs Aston Villa)

Rivals - Aston Villa, Wolves, Stoke, West Brom

Training Facilities - Top Training Facilities

Youth Facilities - Adequate Youth Facilities + Youth Academy

Youth Recruitment - Average

Media Prediction - 10th

Last Season - 9th

Squad Avg Age – 25

Affiliations - PY Minghzu (Corporate), Worcester (Feeder)

person.png

Finance

Status - Secure

Estimated Value - £54M

Balance - £23M

Current Wages - £400K per week

First Season Expectations

Winner - £25M / £500K p/w

Title Challenge - £23M / £500K p/w

Continental Qualification - £21M / £475K p/w

Top Half Finish - £15.5M / £450K p/w

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SQUAD ANALYSIS

010412898664400.jpg

Goalkeeper

Though Ben Foster is good enough to do the job for first few seasons, a young potentially world class keeper should be bought in to take the club forward. Taylor and Doyle are decent backups but Doyle should be sold in the first season as Taylor can be useful for tutoring the new keeper.

Best Player – Ben Foster

Prospect - Jack Butland

Targets - Ochoa (3m)

Right Back

With Stephen Carr, our captain, and Martin Jiranek getting older, right back position needs strengthening in the near future. Stuart Parnaby is not good enough and should be sold.

Best Player – Stephen Carr

Prospect – None

Targets - Serge Aurier (10m), Rafael (Loan)

Left Back

David Murphy and Liam Ridgewell are both decent enough for the left back spot but lack pace which is very important in FM. Need to be replaced in next few seasons.

Best Player – Liam Ridgewell

Prospects - None

Targets – Roberto Carlos (500k), Lucas Digne (2m)

Centre Back

One of the better positions in the team. Roger Johnson can do a good job here with a possibility of replacing Carr as Captain. Scott Dann is good enough to be a first team player for a few season. Liam Ridgewell and Jinarek can step up as backup any time.

Best Player – Roger Johnson

Prospect - None

Target - None

Midfield

With Barry Ferguson, Craig Gardner and Lee Bowyer the midfield has decent quality but lacks creativity and needs a assist-machine if the club has to compete for Europe. Ferguson and Bowyer are getting on with age and Ferguson cannot last full matches, younger blood is required.

Best Player – Barry Ferguson

Prospect - Brice Ntambwe

Target – Sotiris Ninis (5m), Steven Defour (5m), Christian Erikson (6m), Daniel Kofi Agyei (6m), Moussa Sissoko (8M)

Wingers

This totally depends on how you want to play wingers. 'Traditional Wingers' whose main job is to get a good cross in or 'Inside Forwards' who cut in and try score as much as create. Aleksandr Hleb is a good player and can be played when fit enough. Beausejour is good enough to take his place otherwise. Right side is not good enough with Larsson and O'shea the main wingers. In the short term, a young pacey winger should be bought in for the right side.

Best Player – Aleksandr Hleb

Prospect – Luke Hubbins, Nathan Redmond

Target – Alexis Sanchez (10M), Roy Beerens

Striker

Zigic is the best striker of the club and a great player to aim the crosses at. Can be played as a lone striker or with Derbyshire/Jerome rotating alongside him. Kevin Phillips is a good tutor who could come in useful.

Best Player – Nikola Zigic

Prospect – Omar Bogle, Akwasi Asante

Target – Romelu Lukaku (7m), Neymar (12m), Yaya Sanogo (4.5m)

Birmingham Hall Of Fame

This post will be used to record some of the records that have been set by people in this thread. Hopefully this will add some fun and competition into the thread.

Note that, to be included in this, you will need to have a screenshot proving that you have achieved something. PM is preferable, so I don't miss it.

Most League Titles -

Most Champions League Wins -

Most Europa League Wins -

Most FA Cup Wins -

Most Consecutive League Wins -

Record Transfer Fee Paid - £23.5m(Neymar) - ozzay

Record Transfer Fee Recieved -

Most spent over one season - £120m - ozzay

Most received over one season -

Longest Winning Streak -

Longest Unbeaten Streak -

First to Win All Six Trophies -

Most League Goals -

Least League Conceded -

Most League Points -

Most Career Goals -

Most Career Assists -

Most Career Appearances -

Most Goals in a Season -

Most Assists in a Season -

Highest Average Rating in one Season -

Biggest Win -

Biggest Defeat -

nice thread.

ive gave Redmond and Ntambwe a run out a few times. not really looked at o'shea though as i got Axel Witsel from Standard Liege for around £2m.

Signed:

Axel Witsel - Standard - £2m

Steven Defour - Standard - £5.5m

Romelu Lukaku - Anderlecht - £7.5m

Seamus Coleman - Everton - Loan Fee ?

Federico Macheda - Man Utd - Loan Fee ?

Out:

David Murphy - £2.2m

Lee Bowyer - £800k

whats everyone's ambition with birmingham for the season? top 10? europe? i think i'll wait til launch date to start a game with my beloved birmingham. need to find out who needs replacing. im thinking a left back, maybe right back? carr is getting on abit..a striker to partner zigic. and a right winger?

how are people doing with birmingham in the game?

So I started a game on the demo and the team looks good. Opted for the continental qualification as that should be OK enough.

Transfers In

Neymar - 15m

Lukaku - 7.5m

Defour - 5.3m

Defour and Neymar out for 6 and 4 weeks and we had a terible start :(. Let see if it improves.

Anyone else playing as brums??

nice thread.

ive gave Redmond and Ntambwe a run out a few times. not really looked at o'shea though as i got Axel Witsel from Standard Liege for around £2m.

Signed:

Axel Witsel - Standard - £2m

Steven Defour - Standard - £5.5m

Romelu Lukaku - Anderlecht - £7.5m

Seamus Coleman - Everton - Loan Fee ?

Federico Macheda - Man Utd - Loan Fee ?

Out:

David Murphy - £2.2m

Lee Bowyer - £800k

Thank you and David Murphy wants to go out for some reason. I refused Blackpools offer and he wanted me to triple his wages. :eek:

whats everyone's ambition with birmingham for the season? top 10? europe? i think i'll wait til launch date to start a game with my beloved birmingham. need to find out who needs replacing. im thinking a left back, maybe right back? carr is getting on abit..a striker to partner zigic. and a right winger?

how are people doing with birmingham in the game?

Board expects a minimum top10. I'm going for europe.

IMO our squad is decent all over. No big weakness no big strength etc.

Nice up OP..was wondering where the BCFC thread was! lol.

After 5 games I'm sitting pretty in 10th ;)

Results so far...

(H) v Blackpool - 1-1

(A) v Newcastle lost -4-0

(A) v Southend (LC) - won 0-1

(H) v Blackburn 1-1

(A) v Wigan won 3-2 :D

Players out -

Stephen Carr Miak Taylor ,David Murphy,Míchel,Lee Bowyer,Keith Fahey,Enric Vallès,Sebastian Larsson,Cameron Jerome,Jay O'Shea,Garry O'Connor,,,got a tidy sum for them all!

Players in -

David Wheater - £4.5 mill

Steven Defour - £5.75 mill

Per Ciljan Skjelbred - £1.2 mill

Lakaku (225k loan fee)

Fred- 9 mill

Squad is starting to blend now found it hard to start with but getting used to the game now and loving the game atm :cool:

SOTV...Bring on the Vilers!!...COME ON!

Nice up OP..was wondering where the BCFC thread was! lol.

After 5 games I'm sitting pretty in 10th ;)

Results so far...

(H) v Blackpool - 1-1

(A) v Newcastle lost -4-0

(A) v Southend (LC) - won 0-1

(H) v Blackburn 1-1

(A) v Wigan won 3-2 :D

Thank you. :)

Somehow I had the exact same league run

Blackpool 2-2

Newcastle 1-4

Aldershot 4-1

Blackburn 0-0

:eek:

Thank you and David Murphy wants to go out for some reason. I refused Blackpools offer and he wanted me to triple his wages. :eek:.

i had to sell him. cant stand the bloke. dont think hes made 10 tackles since he joined the club and always try the hollywod pass. does my nut in.

Started a new save as I ****ed up while messing around with the player chat feature. (tbh I was doing really bad and was 20th after 8 games.:p). Will be paying more attention to the tactics this time.

Transfers Out

James McFadden 2.8M

Stuart Parnaby 1.4M

David Murphy 4M

Transfers In

Romelu Lukaku 7.5M

Moussa Sissoko 10M

Alexis Sanchez 12M

oberto Carlos 700K

Rafael Loan

i had to sell him. cant stand the bloke. dont think hes made 10 tackles since he joined the club and always try the hollywod pass. does my nut in.

Sold him this time :D;)

Started a new save as I ****ed up while messing around with the player chat feature. (tbh I was doing really bad and was 20th after 8 games.:p). Will be paying more attention to the tactics this time.

Transfers Out

James McFadden 2.8M

Stuart Parnaby 1.4M

David Murphy 4M

Transfers In

Romelu Lukaku 7.5M

Moussa Sissoko 10M

Alexis Sanchez 12M

oberto Carlos 700K

Rafael Loan

Sold him this time :D;)

bought Lukaku for to much i got him for 3 million with celtic

I'm really bad at whealing dealing tbh.

Actually I didn't bother. Its just the demo.

Signed all players on 48mth deals.

UPDATE

Halfway through the season

(H)Blackpool 3 - 2 Win

(A)Newcastle 0 - 3 Loss, WTF?

(H)Leeds 1 - 0 Win

(H) Blackburn 0 - 1 Lose

(A)Wigan 5 - 1 Win :cool:

(A)Liverpool 1 - 3 Loss, ****in Torres

(A)Dag & Red 4 - 2 Win, Foster had me two down at 60th minute.

(H)Man City 0 - 1 Loss, Meh! Pwned them and then gave an OG.

(A)Fulham 3 - 0 Win

(H)Arsenal 0 - 2 Loss

I'm Alternating between wins and loses :p

Next Half of demo(A)West Ham 0 - 2 Loss

(H)Swansea 3 - 1 Win

(A)West Brom 0 - 0 Draw My first Draw

(H)Stoke 0 - 1 Loss :(

(H)Sunderland 3 - 0 Win

(A)Bolton 2 - 2 Draw

(H)Aston Villa 1 - 1 Draw

(A)Everton 1 - 0 Win

(A)Newcastle 0 - 1 Loss

(H)Man Utd 0 - 3 Loss

(A)Chelsea 0 - 1 Loss Only a 1 goal defeat at stamford bridge. Not bad

(H)Tottenham 1 - 0 Win

(A)Wolves 1 - 1 Draw

(A)Blackpool 1 - 0 Win

(H)Newcastle 3 - 0 Win

LEAGUE TABLE

Pos        Team           Pld   G.D.  Pts   
--------------------------------------------
1st        Man Utd         21    29    48
2nd        Liverpool       21    27    48
3rd        Chelsea         21    26    46
4th        Tottenham       21    20    41
5th        Everton         21    15    37
6th        Arsenal         21    11    37
7th        West Ham        21    1    33
8th        Man City        21    2    28
9th        Birmingham      21    0    28
10th       Aston Villa     21    -1    28
11th       Bolton          21    -6    26
12th       Stoke           21    -3    24
13th       Blackburn       21    -9    24
14th       Newcastle       21    -9    23
15th       Wigan           21    -10    23
16th       Fulham          21    -8    22
17th       West Brom       21    -11    21
18th       Sunderland      21    -12    19
19th       Wolves          21    -25    13
20th       Blackpool       21    -37    8

9th in the League and Carling Cup Quarter Final.

Most Goals                                                  Most Assists
Beausejour   8 (Playing at AML)                              Sanchez               6
Sissoko      5                                               Larsson                 5
Zigic        5
Dann         4
Larsson      4

Ferguson, Larsson, Dann, Johnson are great. Zigic is good but inconsistent.

Ben Foster is crap.

Lost opening match to Blackpool 0 - 2 using the standard assymetric formation, changed to 424 and unbeaten since P7 W5 D1 L1 including winning 3 - 1 at Anfield and a stonking 1 - 0 over man City at St Andrews - currently second in the league. Lost to Arsenal in 3rd round league cup 2 - 2 went out on pens 5 - 3 - the supporters were really upset! Bought Axel Witsell and he's scored 4 goals in first three matches from midfield. Also bought in Marcelo Moreno and Kevin Gameiro and got Gael Kakuta in on loan from Chelsea.

We're actually playing really well and the squad have adapted really well to the tactics and formation. This actually made me consider whether the demo is "fixed" to entice people to buy the full game when it comes out!!!

hahah tis actually rediculous how much talent you can get with b'ham, by doing monthyl payments...got ganzo, neymar, lukaku, witsel, defour, toloi, miranda, galeano, areola, that's going to be the best team in the world in a yr...

Just started a game as Blues.

Shipped out Murphy for £2m, O'Connor for £1.5m and Seb Larsson for £2.5m as he wasn't interested in signing a new deal? Decided to bring back Chucho simply because of how much I loved him in real life in a £1.7m deal and I'll be looking at snatching Lukaku and a right/left winger - Potentially N'Zogbia.

Any ideas for wingers and a left back?

Roberto Carlos is very good at LB @ 500K. Can't play week in week out though.

Another option is loaning Fabio (And Rafael if you want) From United.

Beausejour was very good as a traditional LW for me. Hleb can play here. Neymar can be a brilliant Inside forward at LW.

Sanchez at RW. He can't cross or shoot though.

Carlos could be a good shout, but going to be trying to build a side based on a young players, British if possible with the exceptions of players like Lukaku if I can bring him in. Going to try and blood in players like Redmond, Butland etc... As they're the future of my side.

Will be starting a game with my beloved Blues now, had the game since yesterday but been away from the internet/waited for the patch before starting my main season.

Ive opted for Blues and will keep you guys updates as I go...

Nice OP! Congratulations.

I started the full game with Birmingham and noticed I did not get an invitation for the reserves league, my U18's have a full schedule but my reserves only have friendlies. Is this correct? Hope not.

Anyone else noticed it or can you check when you did got invited.

Thx in advance.

Lets make this thread a very busy one! Come on guys plenty of updates of your Birmingham games, transfer ins and outs, advice, tactics, issues etc. Ive got this page bookmarked and theres about one new post every 20 times i click on it!

I am at the end of November, having had a pretty shaky start to the season. Im sitting 15th, and i dont think it's good enough because I've spent alot of money (alot of transfers were high free's over a couple of years)

I signed Christian Eriksen, Fred, Steven Defour, Axel Witsel, Rajko Lekic, and Federico Machedo on loan.

All very good players but Im going to need time to let them gel, and break theyre way into the starting 11.

My defence has been pretty appalling so far, having conceded 33 goals in 14 games. I dropped Foster and Maik Taylor hasnt been much better so I'm going to have to tweak my tactics in defence.

On a positive note I'm through to the semi finals of the carling cup :D

I was talking about the demo. Can't really say much about the full game until I have played it. Patch might change some things.

Nice op :)

You have won the game btw. send me your steam info.

how we doin fellow blue noses.going to start a game in a bit just deciding what set up to use.i`m thinking of english leagues on full with all other top european leagues on view only with a large dataase and players from top divisions only.what setup are you using i want this to be my main career game in fm11

Nice op :)

You have won the game btw. send me your steam info.

Thank you.

And Thank you. Sent.

how we doin fellow blue noses.going to start a game in a bit just deciding what set up to use.i`m thinking of english leagues on full with all other top european leagues on view only with a large dataase and players from top divisions only.what setup are you using i want this to be my main career game in fm11

Depends on you PC. Try looking here

Witsel is a lively player and gets his fair share of assists and goals. Defour sits back and does what he has to do, defends, support and passes to more attacking players. Both players for the future I think though. Few more years theyll be key players.

Ah Thank you.

How is Lukaku for people

Not as godly as FM10, at the start. But as a long term replacement for Zigic, he is great.

After many problems with the "low on memory" fiasco ..I,ve managed to get a save going ...so far so good..

Players out

the likes of Jerome Oconnor..etc etc for a combined £15.75 milll

Players in -

Antunes 150k

Marco Veratte 675k (co ownership total)

Humberto Suazo £3 mill

Rafael (loan)

Senijad Ibircic £1.2 mill

Pascal Feindouno £1.7 mill

Stats -

Played 8 Won 5 Drawn 1 Lost 2 = 16 points

3rd in the league and Im in dreamland! lol adding to that I beat the Vile 0-1 at Vile park! plus Man U 0-1 first game of the season at OT!

October 22nd ..will keep you updated at the start of the January transfer window

KRO ...good luck to all you noses :thup::D

My defence has been pretty appalling so far, having conceded 33 goals in 14 games.

Ive found that the case too m8 the defence is unusually poor

Most games my defence pretty much deteriorates!!

On one accassion my average back 4 went from a 7.2 ave to a low 4.9!!!!

Rodger Johnson is way more class than the game suggests IMO

KRO/SOTV

@ lukewbutler04

right here we go starrting my first fm11 game hopefully my long term career game with the mighty blues.setting myself a challenge to first overtake the vile as best club in the midlands(shouldnt be too hard),then hopefully overtake man utd and liverpools 18 league titles and finally overtake real madrids 10 champions leagues wish me good luck.will be running just the english leagues on full

Trying to start up a good tactic making the most of our strengths

Setting Zigic as the Target Man, passing the ball out to the wingers & full backs to cross to Zigic to score & knock down for an on running Jerome. Been having a bit of trouble as this thread shows:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/235983-The-Target-Man?p=6104188#post6104188

Anyone getting any success with it?

Johnny Ace

Did something similar to that in the second half of the second demo run.

Zigic/Lukaku as lone striker/target man > ball to head. Larsson/Sanchez RW, Beausejour/hleb LW crossing to him.

Zigic got a few goals, but mostly the crosses missed him and the opposite winger or my B2B slotted it. :p

Works well. :thup:

Zigic got a few goals, but mostly the crosses missed him and the opposite winger or my B2B slotted it. :p

Works well. :thup:

That's what I'm finding, maybe Zigic isn't all that cut out to be the perfect Target Man as I thought. Did he pick up many assists for you

That's what I'm finding, maybe Zigic isn't all that cut out to be the perfect Target Man as I thought. Did he pick up many assists for you

Nah. Look at #16 for my top scorers and assisters.

Still don't have the full game. :(

++++ UPDATE++++

Just a quick update , with the Jan window approaching fast (currently 29th DEC) .I'm in 6th spot but its a very tight league with a few losses I could drop as low as 15th.

No player standing out in particular so I'm planning a mega clearout when the window opens.

Will update tranfers in/out

KRO! :thup:

Anybody else drawing a lot of games? I drew my first 7 Premier League games before victories against Manchester City & Liverpool followed by a defeat at home to Fulham.

Consistency quite clearly the issue... Also, I don't play Zigic much and will probably sell in January, playing 4-5-1 with AMR AMC and AML and Jerome as the lone striker due to his ability to strech the opposition back four - Could do with a complete forward in January/summer though (Lukaku) potentially.

Archived