FM11: Newcastle United Team Guide @ Sports Interactive @ SJP.com

ChrisNUFC

OMG so many injuries.....Gary Cahill and Williamson have just got injured both for minimum 4 weeks....leaving me with Sol Campbell and Coloccini.......just lost 4-2 away at Everton.....last 5 minutes 2-2 and then Campbell makes two mistakes.....I don't really fancy playing Campbell again......might have to put Tiote there.

Mind you Vedad Ibisevic is a very good striker....thought i'd try him out and he has 4 in 4 at the moment

That's a sore one mate

Do you still have Kadar there? Might be worth giving him some game time if you don't want to risk Sol's lack of pace

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes but he's still recovering from an injury....out of a potential 7 natural CB's I have two that are fit!!

Had something similar happen to me; only Coloccini was fit for a game, so I moved Rodwell back to CB as a BPD. They were so good I kept them together, and now Rodwell is my first choice CB!

I'm just into March and sitting 9th in the league; 7th place Liverpool are only 1pt ahead, and 6th place Spurs are only 4pts ahead. Just had a streak of wins against Man Utd and Everton (league), Man City (cup) and then a draw wih Arsenal (league) ended with a defeat against Wolves. Next game is a FA Cup 6th round game against Leeds. My only news since January is getting Amelia on a free at the end of the season, and Emmanual-Thomas joining for £1.4m at the next window as well.

Recently changed my tactic so I lineup:

GK: Harper/Krul

RB: Simpson/S.Taylor

LB: Enrique/Pieters

CB: Rodwell/Coloccini

CB: S.Taylor/Willliamson

DM: Agyei

RM: Ben Arfa/Chamberlain

LM: Jonas/LuaLua

CM: Cairney/Ireland

CM: Tiote/Barton

ST: Benitez/Wickham/Caio/Ranger

Trying to build up a British core to my team, Rodwell in defence, Cairney and Chamberlain in midfield and Wickham up top. Wickham hasn't developed as quickly as I thought, despite starting quite a lot of games and Chamberlain is only getting sub appearances so far.

AAAAAAAAAARGHHH, third game in a row I loose with 4 CCC against 0. Just let in 3 goals. And my wingers are consistently giving the cross straight between the defence and the keeper, my players are first at the ball but just can't put it away.

I am now well underway with my 11.3 save with the Toon. Coming to the end of January now, sitting 7th with 37 points after 24 games which im quite happy with. For the transfers, the main areas of weakness in my opinion were a striker obviously and a centreback to partner Colo, and hopefully Kadar in the future. Brought in Christian Benitez for £2M as the main striker who has been excellent, scoring 17 league goals in 22(2) games. Also brought in Phil Jones for £15M. He will be my main CB for years to come and has put in some excellent performances. Also brought in Connor Wickham in the summer. In January, i was given an extra 8 million but did'nt really need to add any players. I did however bring in the young mexican, Erick Torres who looks to have a great future and should be able to fill in as a poacher if Benitez is injured. He looks like this:

ericktorres.png

I'm using a new tactic to take full advantage of Tiote's defensive nature and to allow the wingers to bomb forward and the full-backs to support. Joey Barton has been brilliant as an advanced playmaker. Nolan comes in to swap with Barton as an attacking CM and Lualua and Ferguson provide cover on the wings:

newtoontactics.png

Here is the squad. As you can see, Benitez has been exceptional. Couldn't of found a better replacement in my opinion. The youngsters are also getting games, with Ranger or Vuckic parterning Benitez up front.

newtoonsquad.png

Hopefully i can ride this season out with the good form we're showing and push on next season!

To be honest, the contract was only last week and I suspect data was locked way before then. Think it would have been strange to give Tiote a huge boost considering it has just been 6 months of playing well.

But Carroll has been given a VERY HUGE boost, 170 PA? LOL

A judas doesnt deserve that

tbf i stumbled across that aswell, how come carroll got such a big boost, whilst tiote, coloccini and barton didn't? Nolan has aswell been playing regularly good, but his stats in important areas didn't reflect it.

tbf i stumbled across that aswell, how come carroll got such a big boost, whilst tiote, coloccini and barton didn't? Nolan has aswell been playing regularly good, but his stats in important areas didn't reflect it.

nolan's balance raised to 20

barton got a boost too, which is reflected in his mental abilities

PA 170 was perhaps a little over the top, I thought I had set it at 160, but that's not the case - 160 would have been fine. As for the other players you mentioned:

Barton - 14 point increase (144)

Coloccini - 13 point increase (148)

Nolan - 6 point increase (131)

Tiote - 12 point increase (142)

Huge increases to be honest

PA 170 was perhaps a little over the top, I thought I had set it at 160, but that's not the case - 160 would have been fine. As for the other players you mentioned:

Barton - 14 point increase (144)

Coloccini - 13 point increase (148)

Nolan - 6 point increase (131)

Tiote - 12 point increase (142)

Huge increases to be honest

Barton is used to have 145 pa in 11.2, now dropped?

has anyone tried to sign Ireland during his loan in 11.3?

Im at the Jan transfer window - he is valued at 7.5 and im getting bids of 15mil down right rejected without even a view to negotiate..

Edit: nm cost me 17mil and 75k per week - also just scored a brace at villa away!

Just finished the first season in 6th. I'm delighted with the way the team's playing but there's still a need to improve.

Here's the first season transfers.

transfersu.jpg

Galeano has been a great scoring 7 goals in 29 league app with an decent average rating of 7.08.

Dembele had a horrible goalless run of 17 or 18 games or so before recovering to score a total of 12 league goals in 33 app.

Cairney did pretty well alongside Barton in central midfield while I introduced Lucas Silva slowly as he got homesick. Did pretty well though on left wing or as a striker.

Cornelisse and Espen were decent right backs for me to get through this first season especially Cornelisse.

The rest are youngsters whom I will blood in slowly next season.

I'm now looking to sign a right back, centre back and a striker.

Will look at Corchia as Dandydon had suggested somewhere above and could try for Shawcross for centre back as Stoke were relegated.

For a striker, I'll need a consistent poacher so any recommendations guys?

Still don't know the budget yet for next season though but it's okay.

Good first season there Asyraf :thup:

Shawcross would be a great buy if you can get him reasonably cheap due to Stoke's relegation. He's an absolute menace in the opposition box from corners and free kicks (and obviously very decent back in your box of course).

If he's available and hasn't signed for a bigger club I'd say go for Kevin Gameiro for your poacher as a few other posters have done. Or maybe think about someone like Robert Aquafresca, and Daniel Sturridge might end up on the transfer list second season. Not sure how he looks with the third patch though.

Just enjoyed the best game of my season so far.

32-2.jpg

When the penalty was given I was convinced we were going to be hammered, but a good team talk at half time and a fantastic hatrick from Benitez made sure he fans went home happy :D Hopefully I can carry this on to my FA Cup semi final against Liverpool!

Cheers Oba - has anyone had a play with the editor and sorted out the injuries? I'm considering making him may main guy at least until January.

No not really.......but then again of those that are injured are any worth keeping??

In my game I've brought in:-

Alex Smithies (GK) - Young, Quality and English

Gary Cahill (CB) - Quality CB, very steady

Gabriel Silva (LB) - Young and lots of potential, will get turned down for WP but you just have to appeal

Abubakari Yakubu (RB) - FREE and with his versatility can help with the inevitable injury crisis

Xherdan Shaqiri (AMRL) - On loan with a £2m buy clause......Young and talented. I will buy him in January

Vedad Ibisevic (ST) - Very good forward for the price (£6M) I would suggest taking a look

Kolbeinn Sigporsson (ST) - Young and his stats are high in the right areas.....

Christian Benitez (ST) - Cheap as chips and works well with Ibisevic

I just can't shift no matter what I offer them out for - Alan Smith, Peter Lovenkrands, Steve Harper, Shola Ameobi....I thought this issue was mean't to of been fixed in the latest patch???

In Jan I hope to bring in another CB and get rid of a rather error prone Sol Campbell. Will stick for now with RTaylor at RB for this season but will look at that position in June/July....

my team (4-4-2)

GK - Smithies / Krul

LB - Enrique / Silva

RB - Taylor / Yakubu

CB - Cahill / Campbell

CB - Coloccini / Williamson

LM - Jonas / Shaqiri

RM - Ben Arfa / LuaLua

CM - Tiote / Barton

CM - Nolan / Ireland

ST - Ibisevic / Ranger

ST - Benitez / Sigporsson

My LM's and RM's are all interchangeable and so offer a degree of versatility....

Started a game with 11.3.0 (rarely play as us!). Best (already injured), Kuqi, Lovenkrands, Ranger (all injured in a reserve game), leaving me with Shola Amoebi, Sammy Ameobi & Phil Airey as my strike force. :D

Started a game with 11.3.0 (rarely play as us!). Best (already injured), Kuqi, Lovenkrands, Ranger (all injured in a reserve game), leaving me with Shola Amoebi, Sammy Ameobi & Phil Airey as my strike force. :D

IMO Ranger is the only decent striker at Newcastle and he should be for the future.....Chelski and Manure are currently watching him on my save........not sure on how good Best is but I don't think he's going to be Champs League / top four material..

Decent strikers are a top priority......

End of season 1 update

A pretty good season overall, finishing a creditable 7th. Didn't have much luck in the cups but wasn't too fussed about them this season. The main talking point from my point of view was the incredible contribution of Christian Benitez, one of the best signings i've made on any FM, costing £2M and weighing in with 28 league goals in his first season. He's now valued at £6.25M:

benitez.png

Unbelievably, the Mackems finished 5th after spending a hefty £29M, £12.25M of which was spent on bringing in wonderkid Douglas Costa!

benitezleaguetable.png

Here is the squad. As mentioned, a brilliant contribution from Benitez, who will undounbtedly win fans player of the year. Barton, Colo and Jones were also excellent. I gave Vuckic, Ranger, Krul, Lualua and Wickham quite a bit of playing time and Ferguson and Kadar also chipped in with some appearances.

benitezsquad.png

I am unsure whether the squad needs strengthening, maybe a young right back and a back-up for Tiote, although Gosling is injury free now so maybe he can fill in. Overall, a pretty decent season!

Also, if anyone wants any screenshots, just ask :)

EDIT: Computer just crashed so had to play the last game again and ended up finishing 6th! Really annoying that it crashed though!

Looking for a young left back to back-up Enrique. Pre Season - 1st Season - 11.3 patch, got about £10M left....if I can spend less than all the better

Any ideas??

There's also Razvan Rat of Shakhtar with a £3,2 mil fee release clause

I'm quitting my current game.

None of the players seemed to be gelling at all. I originally set out with a narrow diamond which stormed through pre-season (against some decent teams too). When it came to the Premier League it failed drastically. Back to the drawing board.

So just finished my first season. I came 10th but only 3 points from 7th place. I'm quite pleased with my attack but I lost too many games due to errors from my defenders.

http://img222.imageshack.us/i/englishpremierdivisionin.png/

These are my transfers so far.

http://img138.imageshack.us/i/newcastleunitedtransfer.png/

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/newcastleunitedtransfer.png/

I'm now looking to sign a DM cover and 1 or 2 defenders.

does anyone have any hints on tactics? i'm trying to use a 4-5-1, and it worked for a while, but now i'm on a loosing streak i just can't break for love nor money, no tactic, no team talk or team rotation can start me winning again :/

does anyone have any hints on tactics? i'm trying to use a 4-5-1, and it worked for a while, but now i'm on a loosing streak i just can't break for love nor money, no tactic, no team talk or team rotation can start me winning again :/

I've been doing quite well since I've switched to a 442 with advanced wingers. I've set it to fluid and attacking. Get Jonas up there as an att. IF and Hatem as adv. playmaker att. Let a quick striker run onto through balls and you should score a lot.

I've been doing quite well since I've switched to a 442 with advanced wingers. I've set it to fluid and attacking. Get Jonas up there as an att. IF and Hatem as adv. playmaker att. Let a quick striker run onto through balls and you should score a lot.

bugger, and heres me with a grand total of 2 strikers, both of em target men

getting real tempted to go back to my cheat save just befor my first game of the season

heh the irony is i hate 4-5-1, and only switch to it because i couldn't get 4-4-2 to work in the past few games XD

gonna see if i can turn this around by jan, failing that, cheatsave is getting loaded

on another note, why are people always selling nolan and barton. thier my 2 main stays this season >.<

bugger, and heres me with a grand total of 2 strikers, both of em target men

getting real tempted to go back to my cheat save just befor my first game of the season

heh the irony is i hate 4-5-1, and only switch to it because i couldn't get 4-4-2 to work in the past few games XD

gonna see if i can turn this around by jan, failing that, cheatsave is getting loaded

on another note, why are people always selling nolan and barton. thier my 2 main stays this season >.<

Have you sold Ranger? He could do a job with his pace.

btw I've loaned Nolan out 2nd season because I switched from 4231 to 442 late in the first season and he just didn't perform at MC. I've kept Barton and he's one of my best players.

I will be selling Nolan as his work rate is far to low.....Barton I wouldn't sell from a game perspective and he is doing very well as either a ball winning midfielder or box to box in my 4-4-2....it may be for his rather checkered history that people sell on

Have you sold Ranger? He could do a job with his pace.

btw I've loaned Nolan out 2nd season because I switched from 4231 to 442 late in the first season and he just didn't perform at MC. I've kept Barton and he's one of my best players.

hmm worth a shot with ranger

I will be selling Nolan as his work rate is far to low.....Barton I wouldn't sell from a game perspective and he is doing very well as either a ball winning midfielder or box to box in my 4-4-2....it may be for his rather checkered history that people sell on

see i play nolan as a box to box, with barton as the bwm, the partnership has been the best thing about this team so far. nolans ace at arriving in the box behind the striker

well the switch to 4-4-2 has worked, on form for a top half finish now, thanks folks

on another note

gave vuckic his first start in, well since i can remember in the league cup

he got injured (surprise surprise) and i had the news interview after the game go 'whats it like to lose a first team player for so long. hes in my freekin reserve squad ffs XD

that option really needs a 'hes not a first team player' response, as its not the first time i've seen it happen either, had it with tiote and others XD

well the switch to 4-4-2 has worked, on form for a top half finish now, thanks folks

on another note

gave vuckic his first start in, well since i can remember in the league cup

he got injured (surprise surprise) and i had the news interview after the game go 'whats it like to lose a first team player for so long. hes in my freekin reserve squad ffs XD

that option really needs a 'hes not a first team player' response, as its not the first time i've seen it happen either, had it with tiote and others XD

Yeah the game still has it's oddities........coming to the end of the first transfer window and Arsenal have just signed Jesper Gronkjaer !!

Anyone else manage to get Davide Santon and Thiago Alacantra on frees at the end of first season (patch 11.3)? I did!!! I am now entering season 4 and my best line up is: Krul, Digne, Zapata, Jones, Santon, Weiss, Canales, Sandro, Hoilett, Babacar, Paloschi .......... I got a takeover season 3 and I received 50m transfer budget. I won the Fa Cup first season with a 6th place finish, second season i won charity shield and europa league with a 5th place finish :O, thrid season I came 2nd but went far in competitions so it was a good season. Hopefully the title this 4th season.

P.S. I created a 4-4-2 attacking fluid tactic with 2 poachers and i have used it throughout my save without any tweaks and it is class!!!

* I also won the Super Cup 3rd season against champions league winers chelsea, score was 3-1 :D

Good effort ToonKing........i'm using a rigid 4-4-2 and am currently top after 4 games in the first season.....4 wins against (A) Spurs 3-1, (H) Everton 1-0, (A) Birmingham 2-1, (H) WBA 3-0.

Second season done and once again I finished 8th, though I did manage to get 10 more points than I did last year. There was plenty of transfer activity in the summer and it took my squad a while to gel and for me to get the tactics right, but we got there in the end.

Transfers in:

Liam Ridgewell - 5mln - Birmingham

Vincent Enyeama - Free

Espen Ruud - 875k - OB

Tomas Rosicky - 1.5mln - Arsenal

Pablo Aimar - 1.6mln - Benfica

Petr Beranek (regen) - 375k - Sparta Prague

Para (regen) - 1.7mln - Flamengo

Tom Cairney - Loan - Man City

Aaron Ramsey - Loan - Arsenal

Joans, Forster, Ferguson, Ameobi, Kadar, Routledge, Williamson, Moyo, Best, Lovenkrands, Simpson and Guthrie all left for a grand total of 20.5mln.

Let Forster go to Man City for 3mln - he's now been capped twice for England -.-

Changed to a 4-2-3-1 for season 2:

GK: Enyeama (lethal penalty-taker, by the way)

DR: Ruud

DC: Colo

DC: Alderweireld

DL: Enrique

MC (Ball-winner): Tiote/Barton

MC (B2B): Nolan

AMR (Inside fwd): Ben Arfa

AML (Inside fwd): Lucas

AMC (Adv playmaker - S): Aimar

ST (Adv fwd): Gameiro

I had wanted to break Vuckic into the AMC position and get Aimar to tutor him, but the poor guy broke his leg after 4 substitute appearances. Gameiro only managed 24 league apps due to injuries, scoring 13 goals. Fortunately I had forgotten to sell Xisco over the summer, and he did quite well as a replacement.

Towards the end of the season there was talk of a takeover bid, which got me pretty excited - until I heard they were planning to replace me with...Lawrie Sanchez. WTF? Fortunately the deal fell through.

You look set for a cracking run in there mate, good luck! :thup:

How many other competitions you still have on your plate to distract you?

Only the FA Cup. I'm in the 4th round against Norwich, only got a 2:2 at their place so replay at SJP soon. Lost in the LC 3rd round at QPR.

Sad thing in the league is I was cruising at the top but have only won 2 of my last 6.

Archived