FM11: Newcastle United Team Guide @ Sports Interactive @ SJP.com

ChrisNUFC

I'm in January 2014 with my game, seems like I've now put together a team that could challenge for silverware, I like to play in a realistic way so no super tactics or training regimes and careful financial management:

2013/2014 is my current season, I've been extremely lucky in getting Dzeko on a free, Although Krul was doing a satisfactory job in goal, I activated a min release clause for Ochoa to improve the man between the sticks. Vermaelen was inexplicably put down to a backup player at Arsenal and signed for a reasonable £4.6m. Gosling and Perch and both left for £1.8m.

Mmmm hmmmm.

Anyway Sandro is great, very good aqquisition. His stats fly up if you treat him well. 1st touch needs working on though.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still in season 2015/16 and just had a amazing result against Barcalona!!! My first team has 23 players only 8 are real players the rest are regens. See below for this seasons table so far.

I`m also on a 58 game unbeaten run. I have won 53 out of those 58.

Since taking over as Manager and also my Sugar Daddy takeover i have won.

Carling Cup - 2014,2015,1016

FA Cup - 2015

League - 2014,2015,2016

Charity Shield - 2014,2015

I have went out at the semi-finals stage of the Champions League for the past two seasons, i`m hoping this will be my year. The tactic i have been using is Mr Hough 10.3 classic Tactic. So credit to him for the tactic!!!!

61barca.jpg

league1k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

why have u done with FMRTE?

what squad of players do u have? Balotelli? wt a joke.

Started yet another Newcastle game. For some reason I just can't get into it this year. Anyway, first season I spent little only brought in Christian Benitez, Tom Cairney, David Wotherspoon, Cristian Rodriguez and Charlie Austin. Spent £8m with £4m coming in from Lovenkrands and Ranger sales. My aim was to be very gradual in rising up the league and not over spending and failing then being unable to buy players later on as I do a lot of my deals on 48 month terms. Unfortunately, I finished 17th which obviously meant any transfer money for the next season would be limited and I thought the best I could hope for was around 15th with Benitez and Carroll both struggling and Charlie Austin never really making the step up. I managed to strip apart the team and sold Wotherspoon on for a £3m profit, Krul for £3.5m, Charlie Austin left for £2m to West Ham and sold some fringe players to bring in a total of £15m.

I then spent £24m on players. In the summer I brought in Jack Cork on loan for the season for £90k with a £2m future price. Charlie Adam, Gio dos Santos and Vincent Kompany came in on deals around £2m. Michael Mancienne and Smithies came in for £3m each and managed to snap up some bargains in Hatem Ben Arfa and Federic Fazio for £1m each. In January was around 10th and brought in Milan Djuric for a loan fee of £250k and Adam Rooney from ICT for £3m. Rooney impressed but the permanent deal for Djuric was off. They were brought in to cover a team far too dependant on Carroll and Benitez. Played a 4-4-2 second season with Carroll a target man and Benitez a poacher. It turns out this is possibly the most dangerous strike force I've ever had. Carroll set up countless goals for Benitez aswell as chipping in but even despite a 2 month lay off to Benitez he still finished 2nd just behind Rooney on 18 goals. Finished 8th and into the UEFA Cup.

I decided that some major cover was needed for this season and the amount of games we would be playing. In came Carlos Vela for £2.7m, Zezinho on £5m, Jack Cork impressed enough to come in for £2m, Nedum Onohua for £2m, Junior Stanislas on £4m, Etienne Didot on a free transfer with Toulouse struggling in mid table of Ligue 2 and Garry Bocaly for £5.5m. Funes Mori came in for around £12m but a lot of that is performance related. Great in Europe but has a little to prove in England but he's doing OK, not setting the World alight but can play in Benitez and Carroll's roles. Come November there were rumours of a tycoon takeover and the deal was completed in December. He only invested in £30m for transfers but decided to upgrade the Youth facilities and networking and training facilities.

I took advantage over paying for 48 months as I went on a bit of a spending frenzy to try and secure the Uefa Cup this season aswell as qualifying for the Champions League. Javier Pastore missed the whole season up until December which meant his price hasn't had time to rocket. £33m completed the deal for him aswell as £30m for Nani who has been brilliant for United and is being brilliant for me. Alberto Paloschi came in for £20m mainly because of his pace but I can't help but think he might be just behind Benitez . Aiden McGeady came in for £25m and is smashing them in from left wing. That took my transfer budget for this season to a whopping £145m. Did manage to recoup £35m by selling on players such as Ben Arfa, Zezinho and Vela who didn't impress for profits.

Still only in January so I'll keep people posted. Not entirely sure if the Tycoon has much money left to invest. There wasn't a massive initial investment and the bank balance is around £22m with no signs of him topping that up as it's falling quite quickly with my 48 month deals and high wages

Not telling you my squad after 8 seasons then... (absolutely no cheating, mind you).

8 seasons played, and buying mostly the youth has worked. Obviously the take-over was the turning point. After winning the title/CL double last season, I think it's now only a case of holding my position. Doable, last season it was first "easy" league title won, and as I still have the youngest squad in the league with moderate wage budget and bank full of money. Think I've made hefty profits on transfers for 3 or 4 seasons now, and really don't see any purpose of buying expensive players as the wonderkids I've been poaching seem more interesting than ageing stars.

4 league titles (2013, -16, -17, -18), twice runner-up (2014, -15)

2 FA cups (2015, -16), once runner-up (2013)

UEFA-cup (2013)

2 CL-titles (2016, -18), runner-up in 2014

1 League Cup (2017)

1 Club world championship (2016)

1 Euro Super Cup (2016)

However, the board just posted their expectations for the next season (I chose "title challenge", which has been the lowest possible for 3 or 4 seasons now):

league: title challenge (I expect a runaway victory, so fair enough)

CL: final :eek:

FA-cup: final :eek:

Euro-Super Cup (Inter): win

Club world champ not showing yet, but last time they expected victory, so what can I do?

well, at least they don't expect me to win charity shield (it's against championship Wigan, so I do...)

Now, they didn't spit the dummy last season when I lost FA cup 4th round home fixture against Wolves, but if this is turning into "win everything or we'll spank you with a wet mitten", I'll quit :p

Anyways, my England tenure is nearing it's end (I've decided only to do 2 year stints in international management, always ending in World Cup). After 3 wins in the group, we've been drawn against... (drums and horns) ...Germany! War jokes and that, but I already went into second round last time with Ivory Coast, so I have to do better this time.

He did point out that he was using one of Mr Hough's tactics which quite a lot of people have had great results with. Also it's not exactly difficult to sign Balotelli to another Premier League club you know, he's pretty much guaranteed to fall out with Mancini and end up transfer listed sometime in the first couple seasons.

he's nothing like the calm, dependable, loyal figure he is in real life......

Year 2 and I made it to Europe. Pretty solid season playing a Balanced/Standard 442 (my own tactic) w/ AML (Jonas) and WBL (JE). Turned down Sevilla job, too! So, Year 3 better be strong.

Player of the Year: Florin Bratu with 18 goals.

Runner up: CB Roger Johnson and K Marco Amelia.

Idealy, would like to sign Guilerme from Dynamo Kiev, but he is pretty steep.

Highlight: Guthrie cracker in 94th minute to complete sweep of Sunderland...at Stadium of Light

Lowlight: 0-8 @ Anfield. Long...long match.

201112end.png

Also, got the board to get me a feeder club for work permits, but they didnt find one. Any suggestions? Losing out on some good newgens!!!

Have you got lower league domestic feeder clubs yet Rio? Seemed to me that the board will only get feeder clubs in a certain order, also seems to be harder to find one. Was third or fourth season before I managed to get a Belgian club as a feeder. Still haven't managed to get a decent overseas club for the financial benefit from foreign markets and I'm in 2017.

Just finished 1st season with Newcastle. Finished 2nd behind Chelsea by a point, only because our last game of the season was at home to them and we beat them 2-1.

Won league cup earlier in the season, beat West Ham after extra time. Highlight result was a 7-0 hammering of Man Utd, really enjoyed that one.

In my current save (2nd season) I immediately transfer listed Carroll (@ about 11:05pm IIRC). Sold the cheeky git to Burnley for £6.5 Mill and bought Lukaku in the last minutes of the window (Obv what FCB should have done but failed!).

I built my team around Carroll and the rest of the young players were coming on nicely (I have bought in Appiah <RB>, Digne <LB> and Wickham so far). I had high hopes for him and I am proper gutted that he decided to bail on us and sneak off to a massive club like Burnley no less! He scored a hat-trick against Cardiff in his last game and I dont think the fans will ever forgive the club for letting him go lol.

On a better note I have an absolute belter who just got regen'd Craig Buck has relegated Tiote to the bench (@ 17yo!).

Anyone know when the update is happening so I can finally get my game on. I hope to participate more in this thread -which I have been lurking in for months- once the game gets released for real (11.3) and when I figure out how to up some screens (I saved a Carroll screen shot from when he was tearing up the league but have deleted it in disgust).

Yesterday shook my belief in football but as ever we the fans must carry on regardless...NILE RANGER touted as the new Andy Carroll :D

Just finished my second season last night, second straight title win for the black and white army, easily done haha. So here's a summary of the two seasons and what I'm doing going into the third anyway.

First Season:

Wasn't expecting much from the season with the team being back up in the league from the Championship, so just went out and bought reinforcements for the fairly small team on the cheap, looked to loan out youngsters and hopefully get a formation together that worked. A few of the bargain buys I got really overachieved and we had an amazing season.

-- Summer Window --

TRANSFERS IN:

> Rafael from Man Utd, loan fee 275k

> Julien Faubert from West Ham, loan fee 140k

> Federico Fazio from Sevilla, 550k

> Fausto Pinto from Cruz Azul, 2m after league appearances

> Garra Dembele from Levski, 1.6m after league appearances

> Jonathan Legear from Anderlecht, 2.1m after league appearances

> Shaun Hutchinson from Motherwell, 600k

> Danny Wilson from Liverpool, 3.5m after league appearances

> Gai Assulin, Jose Goncalves, Wason Renteria, and Abubakari Yakubu, frees.

TRANSFERS OUT:

> Ryan Taylor to Leeds, 500k

> Shola Ameobi to Wigan, 2m

> Peter Lovenkrands, Nile Ranger, Yven Moyo, Gai Assulin, Shane Ferguson, Fabio Zamblera, Paul Dummett and Haris Vuckic, loans.

> Greg McDermott and Matthew Grieve, frees.

-- January Window --

TRANSFERS IN:

> Juan Pablo Angel from New York Red Bulls, free

> Kelvin Etuhu from Man City, free.

TRANSFERS OUT:

> James Perch to Bristol City, 40k

> Jose Concalves to Lille, 250k

> Abubakari Yakubu to AEK, 1m

> Gai Assulin, Dan Gosling and Conor Newton, loans.

First season I started playing a 4-3-1-2 with Dembele playing as a poacher off the target man Carroll, this worked perfectly and Dembele was top scorer in the league! 25 goals. Decided to sell two of the defenders who I'd got on frees in the summer in the January window because Fazio and Wilson were playing amazingly well, with Taylor and Coloccini working well as cover for them. Plus any money made of them was profit, I had Goncalves to cover Enrique initially but ended up using Pinto or pushing Wilson out there if I really needed to. Angel was only really brought in for desperate covering and for tutoring youngsters, only signed him on a six month deal so he was never staying for long, went at the end of the season. Was quite impressed with Renteria, he played well as an impact sub throughout the season.

GK: Harper/Krul

DL: Enrique/Pinto

DC: Wilson/Coloccini/Campbell

DC: Fazio/Taylor/Williamson

DR: Rafael/Simpson

ML: Jonas/Routledge

MC: Barton/Tiote/Smith/Guthrie - Nolan would play here alot too.

MR: Faubert/Legear

AMC: Ben Arfa/Nolan

ST: Dembele/Renteria/Angel

ST: Carroll/Xisco

Finished the season very strongly, won the league on goal difference! With Man Utd second, wasn't expecting to do as well as I did but Dembele, Rafael and Ben Arfa were outstanding. eat Man City 3-0 at home, Spurs 2-0 at home, Man Utd 3-1 at home, Arsenal 1-0 at home, Liverpool 2-1 at home, Man Utd 2-1 away and did the double over Sunderland!!

We also won the FA Cup putting Chelsea out in the semi final 1-0, then beating Blackburn 2-0 in the final with Dembele and Renteria getting the goals, bargains!

What made the season even better was the fact that Sunderland got relegated!!! They ended up having to offload a lot of their key players and still haven't recovered in the third season, they finished 15th in the Championship last season, Bruce got sacked and Pardew is their manager! The irony...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Season:

So expectations were a bit higher in this season, with a nicer transfer kitty given to me by Cashley aswell. Although I thought that winning the league might have got me more than 16m, the game's obviously true to real life with him being as tight, so I had to sell a few to lower the wage budget and let me bring players in. Stole Jordan Henderson from the mackems though after they went down, 1.5m, love it. Was gutted about the whole Kevin Nolan situation, once I brought Kuyt in I made him captain because Nolan had been getting injured and hadn't been playing, and Nolan kicked off with me, so I offered him a new contract because other players were becoming unhappy and he refused to sign and refused to talk in chats, then there was a transfer request but I couldn't shift him, ended up having to terminate through mutual consent. Into the third season now and nobodies picked him up, he won't consider a contract offer to come back, but I saw Exeter had offered him a contract which is ridiculous.

-- Summer Window --

TRANSFERS IN:

> Jordan Henderson from Sunderland, 1.5m

> Hatem Ben Arfa from Marseille, 2.1m

> Micah Richards from Man City, 875k

> Dirk Kuyt from Liverpool, 3.2m

> Yaya Sanogo from Auxerre, 3.6m

> Conor Wickham from Ipswich, 1.9m

> Vladimir Weiss from Man City, loan fee 275k

> Koke from Athletico Madrid, 1.3m

> Marc Muniesa from Barcelona, 750k

> Hamit Altintop from Bayern Munich, free

> Luc Constaignos from PSV, free

> Nicholas Douchez, free

TRANSFERS OUT:

> Alan Smith to West Brom, 250k

> Mike Williamson to Crystal Palace, 100k

> Leon Best to Blackburn, 100k

> Xisco to Marseille, 600k

> Danny Simpson to Rangers, 650k

> Cheick Tiote to Marseille, 1m

> Jonathan Legear to Villarreal, 1.5m

> Fausto Pinto to Galatasaray, 1m

> Peter Lovenkrands to PSG, 1m

> Yven Moyo, Ryan Donaldson, Nile Ranger, Samuel Adjei, Kazenga LuaLua, Aaron Spear, Tim Krul, Shane Ferguson, Paul Dummett, Ben Tozer, Gai Assulin and Shaun Hutchinson, loans

> Kevin Nolan, Paddy McLaughlin, Sammy Ameobi, Juan Pablo Angel and Jeff Henderson, frees.

-- January Window --

TRANSFERS IN:

> Wojciech Szczesny, free.

> Jack Wilshere from Arsenal, loan fee 700k

> Alan Hutton from Spurs, 475k

> Chris Smalling from Man Utd, free

TRANSFERS OUT:

> Wason Renteria to Almeria, 2.5m

> Dan Gosling and Shaun Hutchinson, loans

Sold Renteria in January to give me a few extra funds and because Sanogo started performing for me this season, had a bit of an injury crisis early on in the season and the first two months were poor, I ended up around 6/7th in the league for a while because Kuyt, Dembele, Ben Arfa and Carroll were all out, but Weiss and Sanogo started playing decently in a few games and worked well as cover, however the injuries did make me change my formation so I ended up just playing with a lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation, a lot of the time with Sanogo being a poacher and Jonas and Hamit Altintop playing as inside forwards until Kuyt recovered. Douchez was the surprise package, got recommended him as cover in case Forster wasn't up to the Premier League and he came in with a 4 star rating, he's been my first choice ever since. Hamit Altintop has also become a regular as well, he's a quality passer, he's versatile and he scores the occasional cracker. Richards was definitely the bargain of the season as well, I'd been a massive fan of him on FM09 but thought he might've been knocked down on this game, he's been great though, playing up to the level Rafael had in the first season, he's now first choice right back in the England team as well, who won the European Championships, beating Spain, with Jose Enrique as their first choice left back! I pushed Fazio up out of the defence because Taylor had been playing brilliantly and got an England call up, I played him as a ball winning midfielder and he was excellent, he got a hatrick in one game as well, unbelievable.

Here's my team from this season anyway:

GK: Douchez/Forster/Harper

DL: Enrique/Kadar

DC: Wilson/Coloccini/Campbell

DC: Taylor/Muniesa

DR: Richards/Hutton

MC: Fazio/Barton

MC: Hamit Altintop/Guthrie

AML: Jonas/Constaignos

AMC: Ben Arfa/Weiss/Vuckic

AMR: Kuyt/Routledge

ST: Carroll/Dembele/Sanogo/Wickham - Rotated this position fairly often between the first three, Wickham played in the cups and got tutored by Dembele and Kuyt. Changed it from Poacher to Advanced Forward depending on who I had playing.

Did even better than before in this season, won the league and was 9 points clear of Man Utd, recovered very well after the injury crisis and managed to go 25 games without a loss! Won the League Cup, got beaten in the FA Cup semi-final in extra time by Man City and managed a bit 3-0 win over Man Utd in the Champions League Final, which I was shocked by considering my group was Juventus, Porto and Saturn, but we finished top, doing the double over Juve and only losing once to Saturn, we then put out Kopenhagen, Fenerbache and Wolfsberg on the way to the final. The team managed to play well against good and bad sides in the league as well which I was pleased with, even poor Derby, who had two takeover bids collapse and finished on 14 points. Newcastle got taken over as well by a local business man who "promised to wipe off the club's debts", which he hasn't at all, not a rich man then. But into the new season he has improved training facilities and expanded the stadium without me even asking so can't complain. At the end of the season I had 90 points, with 27 wins, 9 draws and 2 losses, and a goal difference of plus 49, my defence was rock solid only letting in 21 goals all season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Third Season:

So I got a bit more money this time around, and I was looking to add real world class quality this season because I wanted to push to win everything possible, then I would finally be content and free myself from the FM addiction! I wanted to add some good youth to the team aswell, a lot of my younger players were developing nicely but I wanted to plan for the future, despite having the youngest team in the league haha! I'm only at the end of July now so here's the transfers I've made so far:

-- Summer Window --

TRANSFERS IN:

> Mateo Kovacic from Dinamo, 575k

> Luis Suarez from Ajax, 12.75m

> Adam Johnson from Man City, 10m

> Vladimir Weiss from Man City, 7.5m

> Carlos Vela from Arsenal, 2.8m

> Felipe, Andre Bahia, Andreas Granqvist, Nicolas Nkoulou, Breno and Chuks Aneke, frees

TRANSFERS OUT:

> Wayne Routledge to West Brom, 500k

> Kelvin Etuhu to Deportivo, 100k

> Luc Castaignos to Barcelona, 4m - wanted to go

> Fabricio Coloccini to PSG, 2.8m

> Ryan Donaldson, Kazenga LuaLua, Aaron Spear, Shaun Hutchinson, Yven Moyo, Koke, Brad Inman, Gai Assulin, Tamas Kadar, Shane Ferguson, Jak Alnwick and Tim Krul, loans.

> Darren Whyte, Brandon Miele, Ole Soderberg, Phil Airey, Paul Dummett and Ben Tozer, frees.

Need to get rid of one more player so that I can get everyone registered, was hoping I could just send Barton or Guthrie out on loan but no-one's biting. Month and a bit left in the window though so plenty of time to sort it out. Got Matias Defederico coming on a free in January with a quality regen as well, just to add to the registration worries haha.

Here's the squad going into the season anyway:

GK: Douchez

DL: Enrique

DC: Wilson

DC: Breno

DR: Richards

MC: Nkoulou

MC: Hamit Altintop

AML: Johnson

AMC: Ben Arfa

AMR: Kuyt

ST: Suarez

SUBs: Forster, Taylor, Granqvist, Weiss, Vuckic, Carroll, Sanogo

Alright folks - after the massive betrayal from Andy Judas Carroll, i couldn't stomach the site of seeing him at my beloved NUFC.

I immediately transferred him to Scumerpool and fooked Torres off to Chelskii - leaving us with a tidy £36m profit. Now its time to use that money wisely and reinvest in the squad. My normal mantra is to not buy anyone in the first window and see where the squad needs developing before any investment, sadly however i don't want to shoot myself in the foot like the rest of the Toon board relying on Strolla, McLoven, Best and Ranger and need some new strikers - who would be your ideally replacements with that money?? (in football manager world not the real world unfortunately)

The gutting thing is my lass brought me FM11 for Christmas and i only started playing it a few weeks ago starting with Arsenal, so i never got to experience the full force of Carroll at the Toon - shame really because he was pretty rubbish on FM10 and i ended up flogging him. Oh well, i might turn him into my Shearer and have him return as the prodigal son!

HWTL

Be interesting to see what size transfer kitty we get in 10.3. Should make FM easier if we get a sizeable chunk of it.

Guess it'll depend on what they think Ole Sticky Fingers Ashley will do with that 35 million........if it's available I might consider starting a new save at the next update. Might be inclined to spend it on a decent creative midfielder than splash it all on a striker though.

Guess it'll depend on what they think Ole Sticky Fingers Ashley will do with that 35 million........if it's available I might consider starting a new save at the next update. Might be inclined to spend it on a decent creative midfielder than splash it all on a striker though.

We already have a star striker in Shola

I'm starting another toon game with Forbsie's update (excellent update btw). With a 30million budget, at least some players can be brought in to replace Carroll. I have made a few tweaks, increasing Bartons passing and crossing and Rangers work rate and determination have been raised. Have also increased Tiote to what he might be like in the new official patch hopefully and he looks like this:

newtiote.png

Opinions? I haven't gone overboard or been too biased but i think these attributes reflect his current ability.

Looking at bringing in Connor Wickham and Gary Cahill. May look to bring in Gervinho after reading rumours that we may be in for him in the summer.

Quite a nice thread here. :)

Have been trying to get a game going with Newcastle for awhile now, but keep getting frustrated. Wasn't able to get Andy Carroll scoring like he was in the premiership, was having all sorts of problems with teams such as Birmingham and Stoke and generally just playing badly, spending most of the first few months in the relegation zone before becoming frustrated and quitting. For most of FM11 I've been playing with Toronto FC and doing fairly well, so I at least know I'm not an utter novice when it comes to the game, but I just find it really tough to get Newcastle settled in the Premier League. Are they underpowered by SI?

Of course now I will have to make sure I sell Andy Carroll at the earliest chance in my next game, that is if I gain motivation before the new patch. Any suggestions/help/advice would be greatly appreciated, will also look through older posts in this thread to help me out. Howay the lads. ;)

p.s.

Just finished reading back a month or so. Thanks a lot for the youngster analysis nufc1. Should help a lot as far as development goes!

Just finished reading back a month or so. Thanks a lot for the youngster analysis nufc1. Should help a lot as far as development goes!

No problem mate. Glad i could help. It was a pretty fun game tbh :)

Good luck with your save! I started a save and found Christiam Benitez to be a pretty good striker, and for only £1M

i'll be back on here more after the patch i would think.

Finished the 2016/17 season with Newcastle, will be really reluctant to start a new save with them when the next patch comes out as my regens have come insanely good for me this time round.

In the league at least, we still got dumpred out of Europe in the knockout stages....but we can't have everything.

2016/17 Final League Record

EnglishPremierDivisionInformation_LeagueTable-12.png

Goalscoring Genius

MohammedAbdelHamidProfile_Attributes-5.png

Balotelli and Dzeko completely supplanted in my squad by this lad, insane goalscoring record.

Can anyone recommend some future prospects for the DC, DR, DL and DM positions??

Which season are you in Tony? The young Brazilian lad Romario at Vitoria has real potential at DR, you can arrange a pretty cheap deal for him during the first season but you'll have to wait till 2012 before he arrives. Nika Kvekveskiri from Teplice is a good DR and can play DC and MR as well and Danny Wilson at Liverpool as well., and of course Phil Jones at Blackburn if you want a young English DC with potential.

Which season are you in Tony? The young Brazilian lad Romario at Vitoria has real potential at DR, you can arrange a pretty cheap deal for him during the first season but you'll have to wait till 2012 before he arrives. Nika Kvekveskiri from Teplice is a good DR and can play DC and MR as well and Danny Wilson at Liverpool as well., and of course Phil Jones at Blackburn if you want a young English DC with potential.

Cheers. I'm at the start of the first season - editted Carroll out and £35m in! Don't want to go too mad on big transfers and Jones would cost me £10m. I will have a look at the guy from Teplice as I have never heard of him before. I know of Romario and will try to snap him up. Got quite a few in already and some more in the pipelines to build a good future for Newcastle...

GK - Smithies

DR - Raul (Atletico Paranaense), Seamus Coleman (loan)

DC - Rafael Toloi, Agbossoumonde, Senah Mango

DL - Dodo

DM - G. Fofana (Le Havre)

MC - Markus Henriksen

AML - T Hazard

ST - L Griffiths, T Makengo, Tiago Alves (Jan 2011)

Also signed Christian Benetiz (ex Birmingham) for £1.5m..

Raphael Varane is superb prospect for DC position. Bought him for 3.3m for third season, but could/should be bought earlier so he'd become homegrown. I initially bought him with an idea to slowly make him a first choice over 2 or 3 seasons, but he made the shirt his before christmas.

Also noticed you've bought Terence Makengo. My favourite player (I'm starting the 10th season) in my squad. Really really good poacher if you play 2 up front. Needs a bit of encouraging especially in the beginning (has dry spells, but "faith in you" -thingy usually works quickly). Scores important goals (CL -winner 5 minutes before full-time the best example) year after year. Also, he became "favoured personnel" for most of my squad really quickly, and on top of that is very modest about his wage demands, which is a bonus in the long run.

Full-backs were difficult to find, but in my save plenty of good regens appeared very early so I signed them.

As you can see i was in season 2016. Some of the regens that come through are world beaters. As it stated at the top of the posting my team was made up from regens "My first team has 23 players only 8 are real players the rest are regens" As for the tactic MR HOUGH has some great ones and it helped me on that save win everything all the time.

Alright lads - anyone get any new updates on how there team is doing? I'm holding off until the new patch is available then i'll take the plunge again with. I'm hoping the likes of Best, Tiote and Ranger will of improved. Out of interest how have people come on bloodying some of the youngesters - any hidden gems?

R taylor FB (support) william LD (Deffend) Colo LD (cover) enrique wingback (deffend)

barton ball winning (support/deffend) or wid midfilder (all) cheick tiote = ball winning (support) knolan Advance playmaker (attack)

ben arfa winger (attack/support) jonas IF (support)

Ameobie AF (attack) tm (attack) Poacher

Think that would work and what tweaks and settings would you use??

Alright lads - anyone get any new updates on how there team is doing? I'm holding off until the new patch is available then i'll take the plunge again with. I'm hoping the likes of Best, Tiote and Ranger will of improved. Out of interest how have people come on bloodying some of the youngesters - any hidden gems?

I had a save where i didn't make any purchases. The youngsters that i improved are shown in screenshots starting on page 12 of this thread starting with post 1168 i think.

R taylor FB (support) william LD (Deffend) Colo LD (cover) enrique wingback (deffend)

barton ball winning (support/deffend) or wid midfilder (all) cheick tiote = ball winning (support) knolan Advance playmaker (attack)

ben arfa winger (attack/support) jonas IF (support)

Ameobie AF (attack) tm (attack) Poacher

Think that would work and what tweaks and settings would you use??

looks ok, Jonas defintely seems to perform in the Inside Forward position, I would probably set him to attack rather than support, purely on the basis of how well he did for me on that setting. He's not the greatest passer or crosser of a ball, but his direct running does seem to create opportunities, and he'll probably weigh in with a few goals for you if the other winger is reasonably creative.

I never played with a DM so poor old Tiote never got much of a look in for my team, but I'd probably have him on Defend, rather than support. Of course if he gets a decent upgrade on the next patch I might change that opinion (especially if he scores any more screamers irl).

FM is an easy game actually lol

I play until 2016 to get my first EPL and first ECC, and a quadruple in this season, LOL.

I would like to try play until 2020.

A reminder, I use my own tactic to play, not a fabulous squad at all.

ScreenShot019.jpg

ScreenShot018.jpg

ScreenShot017.jpg

Didnt get the CS, a pity at all.

ScreenShot020.jpg

Quite a nice thread here. :)

Have been trying to get a game going with Newcastle for awhile now, but keep getting frustrated. Wasn't able to get Andy Carroll scoring like he was in the premiership, was having all sorts of problems with teams such as Birmingham and Stoke and generally just playing badly, spending most of the first few months in the relegation zone before becoming frustrated and quitting. For most of FM11 I've been playing with Toronto FC and doing fairly well, so I at least know I'm not an utter novice when it comes to the game, but I just find it really tough to get Newcastle settled in the Premier League. Are they underpowered by SI?

Of course now I will have to make sure I sell Andy Carroll at the earliest chance in my next game, that is if I gain motivation before the new patch. Any suggestions/help/advice would be greatly appreciated, will also look through older posts in this thread to help me out. Howay the lads. ;)

p.s.

Its normal, the target man setting this year is lame

Its normal, the target man setting this year is lame

Target Man seems to work pretty well on my Stoke save, using Mr Carroll in support mode with a pacy poacher playing off him (both strikers bagging 35+ goals in all competitions), but never seems quite as effective playing a traditional target man as a lone striker. Well not for me at least.

Anyone had any joy with a big target man up front on his own?

Yes. Andy Carroll was the first, who got 16 goals and 10 assists (league only) in a season playing as a target man - support with long shots set to rarely. The second was Oscar Cardozo who found the net 28 times (league only) as an attacking target man.

I've just started again with a transfer update and without Carroll, but with some nice new funds, I've found it much better to play a deep lying forward - support up front if I'm using a solo striker. Humberto Suazo and Artem Milveskyi are both doing a fantastic job, and once again, the long shots slider is the only one I fiddle with. This method gets your team passing about a lot better as a DLF tends to drop deep more often and play some lovely through balls to the wingers.

Target Man seems to work pretty well on my Stoke save, using Mr Carroll in support mode with a pacy poacher playing off him (both strikers bagging 35+ goals in all competitions), but never seems quite as effective playing a traditional target man as a lone striker. Well not for me at least.

Anyone had any joy with a big target man up front on his own?

If you try to head, then it wont work. lol

you can see my Babacar scored lots anyway lol

If you try to head, then it wont work. lol

you can see my Babacar scored lots anyway lol

Nah I never select 'To Head'. It usually results in little more than your target man being completely shattered by half time, and can lead to him constantly flicking the ball on past the defence onto nobody, wasting posession.

Started a new game using update. Chose one with transfers going through in january, and then ticked of the possibility to buy players in the first transfer window.

Been using an 4-2-2-2 all the way. In january i signed Galeano and Babacar for the money I made from Carroll. Loaned out a few players and finished on a very acceptable 9th.

Second season we finished in a surprising 2nd - just above Chelsea.

Focused on bringing in a few english faces including

Jordan Spence

Alex Smithies

Gabby Agbonlahor

Kyle Naughton

Then i brought in a few unwanted players like Vela, Mariga and Llajic (loan) - and last but not least the wonderkid Neymar (not unwanted though!).

Fraser forster became first choice, when Krul decided to leave for Man. Utd

Also said goodbye to:

Løvenkrands

Jonas

Kadar (unhappy)

Nolan

Smith

Williamson

Routhledge

Mariga and Guthrie teamed up very well dominating the midfield as Central Midfielder and Deeplying playmaker (both support), while Neymar and Llajic was banging them in from the wing. In the front i used Agbonlahors pace as targetman (run onto ball) along with Babacar as poacher.

In my third season I added Stanislas and Kyle Walker to the englishmen, and then brought in some promising newgens.

Finished the season on top - after a breathtaking finish alongside Arsenal all the way - beat them on my goalscore! Lost to Real in the CL 1/4-finals

Guthrie been really great all the way, and even made it to the Team of the year in my third season!

Heading in to my fourth season I smashed my transferrecord buying Hamsik for about £34 mil. Then sold off Mariga and Enrique.

I've a very talented squad with both english players and amazing prospects.

Maybe i show them off a little later.

Good squad there Hamzterz, my Stoke defence got a pasting from Agbonlahor's pace on my other save. Didn't help that I'd selected a high defensive line against Villa, he had a field day.

How's Smithies working out as keeper? He couldn't get past Joe Hart in my squad and I ended up selling him.

Archived