Sports Interactive Community
ChrisNUFC

FM11: Newcastle United Team Guide @ Sports Interactive @ SJP.com

I am just starting my second go on the demo and have just seen the ask the board to do the transfer for you so i have asked them to buy Gael Kakuta for me and they agreed and to my shock had a offer of £11.75m accepted. Even though we only have a £1.5m transfer budget could be a way to sign some good players but also it could ruin the club finances.

where do you ask the board to make the transfer

What's your stadium name on this?

The name it is IRL, St. James' Park. It's not officially called sportsdirect.com@sjp or whatever.

At least in my game Jonas was pretty much like he is in real life. I suppose he'll score more in the game if you play more attacking style?

Xisco was maybe too good, but then again who's seen him properly?

Great job overall, I'm happy.

Jonas is picking up around 6-7 league goals after the end of the Demo. He's doing alright.

Not sure who to buy up top. Got Kadlec and Carroll, but not sure if i should buy Milevskyi.

Need some options to act as cover for Ben Arfa and Jonas.

Robert was a **** when he left. He's sort of a cult figure at Newcastle though, so I wouldn't have him on the disliked personnel but hey, it's not really a big issue.

Getting towards the end of the transfer window. I'm playing a 4-1-2-1-2, so I've gotten rid of Jonas and Routledge and let Moyo go out on loan. Brought in Rafael (Man U one - loan), Ahmed Soukouna (free) and Enzo Maresca (free) so far

Rather than players you've bought/sold etc... how do you find the current squad perform on your demo experiences so far??? And are there any surprises?

I've had three 6 month goes now trying out different players and tactics and I've found the following, I'm getting more joy with two up front no matter what and wingers seem to be much more effective than last years (not difficult!), so have settled on a 442 with AMR and AML. Jonas as an out and out winger and BenArfa as a inside forward/playmaker cutting inside, FB's are on support, CMs is one defensive ball winner and one support box to box and this is what I've found player wise:

GK - Krul better than Harper

RB - Right Back area is a problem (good post from Outclassed earlier on in this thread about who to pick)

CB Taylor when fit is excellent at CB so renew his contract immediately, I haven't got Sol to perform that well (any advice?) Coloccini good, Willo ok as backup, Kadar should develop I think

LB - Enrique excellent but no back up

CM - Guthrie when fit is good as box to box, Barton has played better as a ball winning midfielder on defence than any attacking position, Tiote ok as the more defensive mid too, haven't got Nolan to play well yet

Wings - Jonas is excellent as an attacking winger in AML position, creates loads but finishing just ok, Ben Arfa good when he cuts inside - Routledge ok back up

Strikers - Lovenkrands is unbelievably good as a poacher! I sold him immediately on my first two demos but though Id experiment this time and play him - he now has 11 goals in 13 apps!) Carroll is not working that well as a target man for me, think I need to experiment with him - anyone got him playing well? Have sold Xisco each time but might give it another go keeping him and seeing how he goes.

Has anyone tried any of the youngsters much yet? I haven't given Kadar/Vukic/Ranger/Ferguson/Donaldson enough playing time to assess them properly.

All comments appreciated - another big concern for the real game has to be our financial situation - with the gift loan repayments of £250k each month, its going to be a struggle to stay in the black???

FINANCIAL SPOILER

Out of all the long games I've seen with the data, I've only seen the Toon (under AI control) going into Administration twice. Both times it was under realistic circumstances.

FINANCIAL SPOILER

Out of all the long games I've seen with the data, I've only seen the Toon (under AI control) going into Administration twice. Both times it was under realistic circumstances.

Cheers Chris

FINANCIAL SPOILER

Only! (10 chars)

Legends: Joe Harvey; Jackie Milburn; Kevin Keegan; Sir Bobby Robson; Alan Shearer; Stan Seymour

Icons: Peter Beardsley; Hughie Gallacher; Bobby Moncur; Lee Clark; Steve Watson; Malcom MacDonald; John Beresford; Shay Given; Robert Lee; Gary Speed; Les Ferdinand; Paul Gascoigne

Favourite Staff: Jose Enrique; Nolberto Solano; Terry McDermott; Steven Taylor; Pavel Srnicek; John Carver; Shola Ameobi; Steve Howey; David Ginola; Liam O’Brien; Derek Wright; Temur Ketsbia; David Kelly; Habib Beye

Disliked Staff: Mike Ashley; Dennis Wise; Derek Llambias; Graeme Souness; Ruud Gullit; Sam Allardyce; Peter Reid; Charles N’Zogbia; Joe Kinnear; Phil Brown; Freddy Shepard; Steve Bruce; Roy Keane; Michael Owen; Craig Bellamy; Jermaine Jenas; Laurent Robert; Kevin Phillips; Albert Luque; Jean Alain Boumsong; Geremi; Didier Domi; Joey Barton;

is it me or is this quit a bit off in some places

taylors hardly a fan favourite anymore, niether is beye... and bambi is rather hit and miss, most would rather he was sold and can't cut it (regardless of how well he actually does, which again leads to him not being favoured staff)

on the flip side most fans i know love robert and more like barton than dislike him these days

not the most important thing i know, and i also know i'm a lil personally biased

is it me or is this quit a bit off in some places

taylors hardly a fan favourite anymore, niether is beye... and bambi is rather hit and miss, most would rather he was sold and can't cut it (regardless of how well he actually does, which again leads to him not being favoured staff)

on the flip side most fans i know love robert and more like barton than dislike him these days

not the most important thing i know, and i also know i'm a lil personally biased

Kids love Ameobi. Steven Taylor and Beye's ratings are very low, and usually disappear by the end of season. As for Robert, when he left the club he sprouted a lot of crap against Newcastle, which people remember (just as they remember his goals).

Can I ask how good Andy Carroll is in the demo? Don't have the downloads to grab it and can't wait til later this week!

He's a very effective targetman provided he gets all the support he needs. I put Ben Arfa behind him, with Jonas and Routledge on the wings and he has been scoring.

Has any of your players received an England call-up?

Could only recall that he was called up for 2 matches in quick succession so I believed it was Bulgaria (2.9) and Wales (6.9) in the demo. Checked the other keepers' injury history and Carson, Kirkland were fine while Green's injury started only on 8.10. Almunia was also available if needed.

I suspect most people expected to see Carroll when they clicked on that link. :D

Tried the demo with only the original players as it's more realistic and I can gauge the squad before starting on a full game with 1st transfer window disabled. Of course the transfer embargo doesn't apply in the demo and it sure hurts seeing all other clubs being active in the transfer market.

Went with a 4-4-1-1 formation. Formation familiarity was confusing in the beginning though and I didn't know I should have focused on 1 or 2 formations instead of dividing across 3 formations. Went on very intensive squad blend for a few months so individual player improvement was slow initially.

GK: Went with Harper for the experience. Krul gets all the cup games.

DR: Right fullback, automatic. Between R Taylor and Perch, it was obvious who was the better player. Ryan gets the spot in spite of his continuously being exposed in defensive situations.

DCR: Williamson, central defender, stopper.

DCL: Coloccini, ball-playing defender, cover. The central defensive partnership didn't work that well although it was fun to see Coloccini spray a ball down the left flank for Jonas to chase.

DL: Jose Enrique, Wingback, attack. Idea was for him to overlap and provide an option for Jonas to pass to before swinging a cross to Carroll. Didn't work as well as I would have liked because Jonas will just cut inside every time he receives the ball, ignoring Enrique waiting on the left wing. Still he has 3 assists and the highest av. rating of all defensive players (the only one above 7+). Special focus training: crossing.

MR: Routledge, Winger, support. Wanted him to play a simple game by utilising his pace and deliver a quick cross to Carroll. Surprisingly useful and was top assists in the team.

MCR: Barton, deep-lying playmaker, support.

MCL: Smith, ball-winning midfielder, defend. Useless irl but sufficiently useful in the game. I had to choose him over Tiote as I wanted to keep possession in a 2-man central midfield. Did decently well and atrributes actually improved as a result of his underlying strong mental attibutes.

ML: Jonas, defensive winger, attack. Little end product if any so the plan was for him to harass opposition players using his high workrate, and then create panic with his direct running and pace. Very wasteful in front of goal but adds in his fair share of goals and assists.

AMC: Ben Arfa, trequartista, allowed to roam. Works really well with Carroll. Went on to be on Carroll's fav list. Injured at the end of the demo and Carroll had a dry spell. Happens to be at the right place at the right time, scoring rebounds or from a square pass.

STC: Carroll, targetman, support. Did well in the role although I had expected to see more flick ons via headers. Zero assists but plenty of goals.

I'm just worried its a data issue, that's all!

Don't think it's a data issue. Owen was called up and scored 3 in 4 international appearances!

Tried the demo with only the original players as it's more realistic and I can gauge the squad before starting on a full game with 1st transfer window disabled. Of course the transfer embargo doesn't apply in the demo and it sure hurts seeing all other clubs being active in the transfer market.

This is me being stupid but can you start a game with no transfers until January so its more like 'real-life'? I had no idea you could do this - is it on full game or demo?

This is me being stupid but can you start a game with no transfers until January so its more like 'real-life'? I had no idea you could do this - is it on full game or demo?

It's in the full game. There's an option like 'disable 1st transfer window' along with the many other options such as 'load player from ...', 'use real player names' when you start a new game.

Can still sign free transfers though.

This is my second go on the demo to date. First was a disaster as expected getting used to new tactic layouts and balancing match prep etc.

experimented alot with formations which was a big downfall in my opinion. I have found a simple 4-4-2 to be the most effective formation for a solid first season back in the premiership.

Remember a good solid mid table 1st season is a excellent season.

I quickly found that Krul is by far and away a better keeper than Harper, he is allready a more than competent premier league keeper and playing him as a regular can only improve him for years to come.

RB was a grey area, seriously poor players defensivly in Perch and R.Taylor and replaced with both times with Rafael on loan from man utd. rafael has all the promise and is similiar player to Enrique on the other flank. LB Enrique, strong as an ox good defensivly, no need to change here at all.

CB not fantastically strong but decent for the first season. My preferred partnership was Campbell and Collocini both as ball playing defender's. Williamson is a good backup and kadar should play early round cup games for improvement. Kadar should become really strong giving the right tutoring and game time.

LM Jonas no questions, pacey, tricks personified and chips in with a fair few goals, att winger is the best in my opinion. Finishing would be my only gripe, and i immediatly train him up on this to improve as he goes through the season. RM suprsingly routledge does a good job very speedy, good crosser not great defensivly Ben Arfa can fill in here more than capable of doing a job here.

CM I found playing Tiote as the deep lying playmaker on defend along with Ben Arfa on advanced midfielder attack to be a good balance. Would def recomend improving this area in the 2nd season but more than capable of a good 1st season fininsh with this centre pairing in midfield. Barton, Nolan and smith all good options for cup games and replacements for injuries.

SC the target man big Andy Carroll. Good allround player. makes a slow start i feel in the game but quickly comes to life through the demo. I found playing him alongside JO from man city who i signed as a loan signing with jo the advanced striker. Jo is very good technically and will bag a few goals and keep you in mid table area. ranger will be good as well, i play him in cup games for progression aswell as Vuckic who is the future star of the team. Improving Vuckic and personal development is a must as he will pay a big part of the future sucess. Vuckic can play as SC just behind and also in CM area, very versatile and technique wise very sound.

Currently 7th in demo 2nd time around and i prefer a standard 4-4-2 this will be my chosen tactic for the full release to consolidate in premier league for the first season.

Improvement will be needed for 2nd season and adjusting tactic slightly may be wise move.

Must signs are Rafael on loan and also Jo for a combined loan fee of £400,000

A complete overhaul of staff may also be wise, there is a lot of deadwood there with really poor stats. a good training sytstem with capable coaches is a massive benefit. 1st season i failed to do this 2nd season i didnt make the same mistake again :)

jeez, how do you manage to sell your players

i can't give my players away

nice to see the damn players also asking for ridiculous wages to play elsewhere again >.> asking for a few grand i can understand, but i just had barton ask for 51k a week to go

... same login details, different profile name (i r emselursoak, and yeah i know, i suck with names)

So I completed the first demo run through. I finished 6th, 1 point from a Euro place.

Team set up was 4-5-1:

GK Krul played 24, 7.11 average, played very well

RB R Taylor played 17 7.14 average

LB J Enrique played 20 7.37 average

CB Coloccini played 19 with 6.94

CB Williamson played 7 with 6.67 (later changed with Taylor played 9 with 7.13)

DM Tiote played 18 with 6.88

CM Barton played 11 with 6.92 and was then injured

CM started with Inman (played 13 with 6.75 average), then Lansbury (11 with 6.90) and finally Guthrie (9 with 6.90)

AMR Ben Arfa played 19 6.97 average. Injured now for 4 months

AML Jonas played 20 7.07 average

ST Carroll played 20 7.25 average scored 6

I brought in the following:

H Lansbury In the full game, will do the same, with a buy out clause

Pv Aanholt Excellent player, and will try to sign in the full game (averaged 7.88 over 4 games)

D Agyei Solid player (averaged 7.03 over 6 games)

I sent out the following:

Nolan out for loan for 250k

Smith out on loan for 150k

Next time round, I will need to go for a top class centre back from the off (sell Campbell and Williamson) and a right back (sell Perch and Simpson)

Not signed/sold anyone, using a variety of formations.. had some good results. Just had 1-1 draws vs Chelsea/Man Utd using 541 tactic and top of league after 15 games by 4 points :)

A few more general questions as we warm up for Thursday (here, anyway). Also one very specific one.

- Are people signing cover for Enrique?

- The actual Toon fans know what dross Perch is, so what options are around for a right-back?

- Krul or Harper?

- Not sure if Chris wants to/is able to reveal, but if so I'd like to know (feel free to spoiler tag it) - at around what point does Ashley decide to sell up? Similar to FM2010 in general terms?

Takeover

No set point for him selling, just as in real life. He could sell within a year, he could be there for a while/until he feels he can't take the club any further

A few more general questions as we warm up for Thursday (here, anyway). Also one very specific one.

- The actual Toon fans know what dross Perch is, so what options are around for a right-back?

- Krul or Harper?

- Not sure if Chris wants to/is able to reveal, but if so I'd like to know (feel free to spoiler tag it) - at around what point does Ashley decide to sell up? Similar to FM2010 in general terms?

i found michael ball and finnan, both on frees acted as cover, and in finnans case first choice at the fullback positions

on the ashley selling...

should there really be a point where he decides to go?

the game should mirror rl, though in this case it is difficult

but ashley won't let the club go cheep, or go bankrupt. hes too much of a business man for that (you don't start selling shirts from a van to being the head of a billion pound sports chain by being a bad one) hell he definatly seems to be looking long term rather than short term now (face it if he holds on for 5 years and invests well/current form continues he'll get a lot more money than if he tries to sell up cheaply)

how to model it i have no idea though. what chris posted seems as close to the game can manage it as possible though.

what i don't want to see is what happened a lot in the last game where there were board takeovers at nufc. that's one option almost guaranteed not to happen irl

that part of the game (ownership of clubs) is something that requires a lot of work, though i think it's to small a part of the game to warrant the attention it would need to make a marked improvement

Takeover

Internal takeovers shouldn't happen. Any cases I'd be really interested in seeing. Things were put in place to stop them happening, such as Derek Llambias having '1' for Chairman role, and '1' for Finances - he isn't interested in being a Chairman and even if he was, he wouldn't have the finances to takeover. Any takeovers at Newcastle will be external - this should have been the case in FM10 after the 1st patch too.

If people want Ashley to sell then all they need to do is lower his fan and board confidence and he'll be looking to sell ASAP.

Takeover

Internal takeovers shouldn't happen. Any cases I'd be really interested in seeing. Things were put in place to stop them happening, such as Derek Llambias having '1' for Chairman role, and '1' for Finances - he isn't interested in being a Chairman and even if he was, he wouldn't have the finances to takeover. Any takeovers at Newcastle will be external - this should have been the case in FM10 after the 1st patch too.

If people want Ashley to sell then all they need to do is lower his fan and board confidence and he'll be looking to sell ASAP.

wow, that great to know, thanks

- Krul or Harper?

I usually let kadar have game time if enrique is ever injured. Steady player.

Right back is a massive problem at newcastle on game. Ive signed Rafael on loan for £250k abso brilliant and similiar to enrique on the opposite flank. HIGHLY recomended.

Def Krul IMO Harper is very poor and if you play krul he will progress further than what is an allready capable premiership keeper.

First of all, Joey Barton in disliked personnel?? I wouldn't say he's disliked by Newcastle fans.

I agree, Barton is slowly but surely becoming one of our most important and (dare I say) reliable players. I can see him remaining a fan favourite for some time to come provided he doesn't mess up again - touch wood. Is the whole liked/disliked personnel option supposed to be from a fan or board point of view?

Also, Habib Beye as one of the favoured personnel?? He was one of the first to jump ship when we got relegated and was jeered on his return to SJP!

Other than that though, it's looking fairly spot on.

Is the whole liked/disliked personnel option supposed to be from a fan or board point of view?.

Ignore that, it must be from a fan point of view given that Ashley and Llambias are on the disliked list!

Promise to look at the favourite staff listing again in Jan. However, before this season started I know there was a lot of discontent towards Barton in general. Its only now he's performing and not getting sent off, that he's winning people back over.

Also, I'll try and have a final squad guide up by the weekend release (this weekend).

Looking forward to starting on the full game im a bolton fan but always play as nufc massive club who i hope to realise the fll potential of !! whos everyones first signing going to be? or what position are you all look to stregthen first?

Looking forward to starting on the full game im a bolton fan but always play as nufc massive club who i hope to realise the fll potential of !! whos everyones first signing going to be? or what position are you all look to stregthen first?

Argh, he said it!

Promise to look at the favourite staff listing again in Jan. However, before this season started I know there was a lot of discontent towards Barton in general. Its only now he's performing and not getting sent off, that he's winning people back over.

Also, I'll try and have a final squad guide up by the weekend release (this weekend).

eh, thats a fair comment about barton i guess

probably not the place to ask, but what is the considered cut off point by SI in regards to players? i noticed ben arfa had no injury in the game, but taylor does. is it basically anything up to august 31st but after that nothing counts? or up to the start of the season minus player transfers

Sept 1st for Transfers.

18th August for injuries (1st game of the season).

There was another data for International Appearances/Goals, etc, but can't remember it off the top of my head.

Just a pet peeve of mine, no Newcastle fan would think the club was a big club these days, but the legend continues on in the papers and with other fans. Then we're suddenly called deluded for thinking we are, when in truth we don't... well at least those of us SSN don't catch on camera.

Just a pet peeve of mine, no Newcastle fan would think the club was a big club these days, but the legend continues on in the papers and with other fans. Then we're suddenly called deluded for thinking we are, when in truth we don't... well at least those of us SSN don't catch on camera.

simples, the London press hate Newcastle

we were a goldmine for them for years. now we've shut up shop and are being run competently they've got nothing to go on. on top of their ban from sjp they're ****ed and are making **** up to sell papers.

hell, most of the fans of other clubs know this too, and are just glad its not happening to their club.

tl;dr

the press are assholes

I have found a way to get the wages of the high earners down offer them a new contract with the clause wage after 5 games and they accept massive wage cuts :D.

So far i have got these to sign new deals

Jonas £55k after 5 games down to £18k

Coloccini £80k after 5 games down to £40k

Smith £50k after 5 games down to £18k

Nolan £50k after 20 games down to £18k

Campbell £25k after 5 games down to £14k

Enrique £55k after 5 games down to £18k

It also works signing new players i signed

Jay DeMerit on £13.25k after 5 games down to £8k

Febian Brandy on £5k after 5 games down to £1.5k

I think i have found the player for the troubled right back spot Turkish International Gokhan Gonul. He's transfer listed and available for £1.4m what a bargain :D.

2hnqb8y.jpg

I have found a way to get the wages of the high earners down offer them a new contract with the clause wage after 5 games and they accept massive wage cuts :D.

So far i have got these to sign new deals

Jonas £55k after 5 games down to £18k

Coloccini £80k after 5 games down to £40k

Smith £50k after 5 games down to £18k

Nolan £50k after 20 games down to £18k

Campbell £25k after 5 games down to £14k

Enrique £55k after 5 games down to £18k

It also works signing new players i signed

Jay DeMerit on £13.25k after 5 games down to £8k

Febian Brandy on £5k after 5 games down to £1.5k

you should probably take that post over to the bugs forums :/

Have no complaints about Barton in the initial dislike list. I am not his biggest fan with his injury and off-field problems but he has started well this season. He has also largely kept his temperament in control. Still I will like to see more of him and I guess if he keeps it up, the list and attributes such as his temperament will be rightly reviewed in January.

There was another data for International Appearances/Goals, etc, but can't remember it off the top of my head.

Til the end of the WC from what I saw in the data issues forum.

I think i have found the player for the troubled right back spot Turkish International Gokhan Gonul. He's transfer listed and available for £1.4m what a bargain :D.

2hnqb8y.jpg

Looks a good deal for that price and I like his ppm's. I'll probably let him focus on his positioning though.

I was looking at Aurier (expensive though) and Coleman (2.3m deal) for that role.

I tend to do a bit of research on players before I buy them. Turkish Cafu :D