Official FM2011 Match Engine Feedback Thread

I've played a few games as an above average team in the Argentine top division so there is some level of technical ability within the squad. However, despite playing a short passing game, I dont think I have seen a pass played first-time or knocked into space - at a reasonable distance. I have seen overhit passes but noting knocked forward particularly first time/one touch.

Anyone else??

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really not sure if it's been mentioned (i'm guessing it has) the old one on one conversion rate for anyone other the world class players is appalling. I'm in the Blue Square North and for my level have a top stiker and he misses every one on one. Played a few games in the demo and found this to be the case in every league!

Really not sure if it's been mentioned (i'm guessing it has) the old one on one conversion rate for anyone other the world class players is appalling. I'm in the Blue Square North and for my level have a top stiker and he misses every one on one. Played a few games in the demo and found this to be the case in every league!

Patch 11.1.:

- Made players more likely to round keeper when clear on goal

- Also made players less likely to shoot too early when clear on goal

Maybe this will help.

Patch 11.1.:

- Made players more likely to round keeper when clear on goal

- Also made players less likely to shoot too early when clear on goal

Maybe this will help.

Also

- Improved decision making when through on goal slightly

Looking good for me so far, a few issues I've noticed

-The over-effective dribbling/defenders backpedalling issue mentioned by a few people (looking at the changelist for 10.1 hopefully fixed)

- Players not fast enough to close down slow-moving ball when it would be beneficial (maybe fixed by "Fixed a couple of issues relating to players not reacting properly to the ball"?)

- Players don't seem to show enough willingness to move towards an incoming pass to pick it up when they are under pressure

- Similarly, players don't seem willing enough to offer a short option in the middle of the park on occasion

- Tendency to head a bouncing ball when there is enough time to let it drop & trap it (maybe fixed by "Made players under no pressure less likely to play first time or second touch pass unless it is a really good option"?)

- Tendency of strikers to attempt flick-ons where there is no-one to flick on to - maybe they should be more likely to head back towards own midfielders if free

- An AMC played behind two strikers seems a little over-effective even when opposition plays a DM in response

- Chance of weaker foot passes seems too high when a player is under no pressure

- Corner trajectory seems a little low

Mainly though, it's been looking great!

Goalkeeper is doing some very odd moves sometimes. Without being hassled by opposition he shoots the ball to a throw in. I know it happens IRL from time to time but not 1-2 times per match.

And I doubt very much its happening 1 or 2 times a match for you. If it is you need to visit the bug forum and log it, upload your save and pkm's :thup:

Has anyone notice that crap corners seem to be posing more problems than decent ones?

Whenever someone sends over a corner about knee height, it goes straight through the defenders most of the time.

What league you playing in mate the lower you go the more gaffs etc you see :)

Played a couple of games where a goal was disallowed for offside. In previous versions the commentary would flash as normal when goal went in before informing you that the goal had been disallowed. It no longer flashes now when the ME knows that the goal is going to be disallowed. This is just a little thing but it sort of takes away the excitement followed by the shock of being disallowed if it's obvious from the lack of flashing that the goal will be disallowed!

Also getting way too many totally unrealistically wayward shots. I'm playing in the BSN so at a fairly low level but some of the misses have been outrageous. No complaints about the amount of goals etc but it would be nice to see more shots on target even if they are saved by the keepers.

Apart from this and the problems in getting a decent corner in I'm quite happy with the ME.

Paul, I notice improvents to the tracking skills of defenders, does this mean that defenders won't run alongside strikers every time and let them run 50 yards and shoot without attempting to make a tackle?

If so it will massively improve the game for me.

• SI Staff

They might sometimes, depending on instructions and their own judgement in context of the situation. Even the best defenders can make bad calls. And sometimes its the right thing not to risk being beaten by diving in or getting too tight against a dangerous opponent.

But its been reworked and improved so that its better overall :)

mm, just had a minor animation issue where the ref pulled out a giant yellow card nearly the size of his own head.

After this weekends controversy I have to say it must have nearly filled your screen:D

Some guys on our forum reported, when you got a goal and lead the score, you can put your GK to SW position, then match engine will freeze at kick-off position, but the timer is going until finish the match, and you can win the game

Was this fixed?

Very happy to see all the changes going in at release. They pretty much cover all my concerns with the match engine. Only one left which i'm not sure is covered, which is regarding crosses from deep, which often tend to go directly to goalie or out for goalkick (at near post.

Hi all pretty sure this is my 1st post, been a regular reader for a few years now and would like to give some feedback about the ME since the demo came out. So far i have finished 7 half seasons in the demo and am enjoying it very much, but that said there are always things that can be improved.

1. Set plays: both corners and free kicks do not seem to work for me, corners will most often hit the first man in 90% of situations even when using excellent takers and the same for long range free kicks that you get your backs up for, with the setting on Best header, cross center, and cross far all that happens is a long range pass right into the keepers hands, in all 7 half seasons i think i've only scored once from this set play and was due to keeper dropping the ball, my players never make and forward movement to attack this cross until it is too late to connect. BTW i'm using Man City in demo to make most out of transfer budget.

2. Players not running for a ball: in alot of instances for example a clearance the ball will be in acres of space with a huge group of players running for it, some will peel off to go to their assigned positions but the guy that should be getting the ball as its in his "zone" will start to walk towards it or just stop outright for a few seconds. I read some one else complain about this either in this tread or somewhere else and 1 of the SI posters responded that they were looking into "closing down" problems. This sent alarm bells going off for me, to my mind "closing down" is things players do to players that are on the ball, like not giving to room to pass, shoot or time to think. Closing down should not imply a player picking up a lose ball or moving towards a ball.

An example of this is say you are playing with a left winger and have his closing down slider set to 8/10, pretty much the whole pitch would this then mean he is unwilling to run to collect a ball at the corner flag of your opponent because will that in the 2/10 of the pitch he doesn't run?

3. Goalkeepers: its one i know has been brought up loads but i will just repeat it again for the extra weight of numbers, They rush out all like sweeper keepers in every situation, often getting caught out of lobbed, but if they do not get caught they make miracle saves on the edge of the area when world class strikers are bearing down on them. Again you could understand a bit of this school boy instincts from goalies in the really lower leagues but in top class football the keepers are there for their decision making, but even keepers with high stats in this still do it.

4. Long shots: I have every single 1 of my players set to long shot rarely yet will still finish games with say 14 shots on goal 10 long shots. I know players have their own minds and will still do thing is they see it to be right in the moment, thats all well and good, i like to see the odd screamer too, but my preferred way of playing is a passing game with working scoring chances out of crosses or through balls, but atm in the ME this is very hard to do as when a player gets his eyes on goal a red mist will descend and he'll have a crack.

Anyway looking forward to Friday and keep up the good work and please is closing down is infact a player willing to make runs towards the ball and not just closing down other players let me know as this would change how most of my tactics are setup.

Edit. after posting I saw the fix to the ME that ye have planned, pretty sure 3 and 4 will be fixed although still got concerns about 1+2

• SI Staff

The boxed game will have the same ME as the demo, but the 11.1 update will have changes as posted in this thread applied. The 11.1 update is expected be available at the end of this week when the game is released.

by the way, don't believe there are enough disallowed goals from what I've seen so far. But I may be mistaken, anyone else got any thoughts?

I'm getting many disallowed goals, for my team mostly but also for opposition. I'm not complaining, i actually quite like it, but for my money the amount has been just right in my demo season

I have one question.

Corners and other set plays cut scenes are too long. Is there possibility to speed this up?

I have to wait until player gets a ball and so on... and bigger trouble is when my player takes both left and right corners and i have to wait until he walks to the other end of a pitch if corner is from the other side. So annoying.

I don't post very often (feel removed somewhat being in California), but I must say this sort of interaction with the SI team within a thread and getting real time updates and feedback from them makes me happier then every to be customer/fan. Great work guys! Can't wait to "get sick" friday afternoon and head home "early" to get to work on this game!

Since this is match engine feedback, I hope this comment goes here.

I've played a few 'soccer' as its known in my world sims across the years and this is the first that really grabbed me, because I could actually see my managerial choices on the field, sorry pitch ;P) I started at the lowest level with a relegation candidate. My team on the game engine looked like they knew what they were doing, but they weren't very good at it. The other teams were generally better athletes. So I started adding young, talented guys to the team. Suddenly my team showed flashes of athletic brilliance, but were often confused as to their assignments and how to play as a team. We lost our first few matches badly and the team had no real flow especially on defense. Then as I slowed the rate of new blood and the guys started playing together more, they started to gel and play as a team and we started to win. I finally found which of my 3 goaltenders worked best with my defense and my defenders seemed to flow from side to side with the ball as opposed to being afraid to venture from their little zone to help their teammates. My midfield is getting better as well especially in the center and my movement up the field is starting to work more smoothly as I was fortunate to add a very talented midfield center who seems to be taking over as a team leader. Now some of this might be wishful thinking or coincidence, but it really does seem like the games have been playing out as I would expect in real life if I shook up a team of middle aged players and brought in young, talented players. I don't recall seeing this in other sports sims I've played.

love the mistakes in the game ME makes the game actually feel realistic to watch less frustrating like we had in other versions with 3D. Basically mistakes in the past where bit dumb the game lacked football intelligence and as such mistakes did not look that realistic.

I have to say this was the first thing I noticed being usually play lower level leagues I went WOW the match unfolded no feeling frustrated even when mistakes was made bacuase you could imagine them happen in RL.

I also liked the way the ME changes its fluidity with bouts of scrappy periods and with the change to weather it enhances this.

The set pieces seem much more polished too.

Its hard to say if missing the target is slightly too much I personally feel there not the need to tweak it but some will want it toned.

Although there is also slight overly decision to shoot from distance when options are open might need a slight tweak to overly greed.

Overall fantastic job on the match engine you can see it as a potrait of real match there is definate a Football intelligance to how the 22 players operate and back each other. Also you see players off there game the team not quite on the same wave length with teammates and them trying to gel.

One thing I really liked about the demo was that, in order to cut down on the long shots, I had my sideline shout of "Work the Ball Into The Box" active the whole game...and lost...and the opposing manager came at me in the press, saying I'd better stop telling my players to walk the ball into the net or I'd never win a game...

Archived