Official FM2011 Match Engine Feedback Thread

Defending is way too loose. Players with any sort of pace can run rings around defenders regardless of their attributes. Attacking players constantly find themselves in acres of space because defenders fail to stay close to them. Full backs still position themselves awkwardly' date=' giving too much space for a clear cross or letting attackers run past them along the byline. Midfielders' marking is plain weird. They get dragged wide when there's a horde of opposition players charging through the middle. On the other hand they often choose to closely mark their direct opponents high up in midfield (even on zonal marking) who are not participating in the attack while the defenders are being run at in numbers.

[/quote']

Absolutely spot on. I've also seen wingers scroll down the sideline while the defender keeps on backpedaling. Even at the byline, the fullback does not engage and allows the winger time to put in a cross.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I noticed in the last few games is that when a winger dribbles down the line and crosses the ball, the defenders all bunch up towards the middle or near post and leave the striker or winger in the far post completely unmarked. I've scored and conceded too many goals like this.

Overall very good I think. More dimensions of play, less predictable. Players seem more creative. Crossing and high passes are more sensible; that is, players don't repeatedly hit balls in the air to small players being marked by big players. Set pieces are trickier to defend as they should be, IMHO.

However defenders seem to stand and stare at the ball rather a lot, and seem overly easy to split, and have a forward or attacking midfielder run right through them.

There seems to be more clear cut chances, but a smaller ratio of them are taken. Not sure if that's intentional or if more true to life than FM10 in that regard.

There's a problem with player instructions that override their role. In FM10 those instructions stayed no matter where you moved the player or what new role you gave him. Now they always seem to get wiped, including set piece instructions most annoyingly of all.

Otherwise very very good.

I don't know if this is a ME thing per se, but in addition to the simulation, there needs to be a lot of work done with adding animations for game events. There is too much suspension of disbelief required to enjoy this game. I trust that everything happens with some correspondence to real life statistics, but I want to know exactly why a player kicked it out when he had plenty of time to control it, for instance, instead of having to imagine that the ball must have skipped awkwardly or he almost tripped. I have a hard time believing many of the occurrences because they don't correspond to what is animated.

• SI Staff
I am having the same issue and started the topic "Can you play Xavi like real life"?

I think this is a REAL problem and needs to be checked-fixed since it destroys the whole realism...

I think its linked to low tempo, and is fixed in house for next ME update.

See below.....

• SI Staff

Ok, these are the changes made so far, and in 11.1:

Match v903

----------

- Rewritten tracking and marking of player with ball

- Fine tuned dribbling ability to allow for above change

- Fixed players continuing to face set piece position by default after set piece has already been taken

- Made keeper dive to head ball rather than risk a messy clearance when ball around chest height

- Made players more likely to round keeper when clear on goal

- Also made players less likely to shoot too early when clear on goal

- Slight tweak to keeper positioning when coming to meet opponent bearing down on goal

- Made players track their opponent a bit more urgently when set piece about to be taken

- Fixed bug causing keepers continuing move to intercept ball that has long since been taken under control by opponent

- Fixed a couple of issues relating to players not reacting properly to the ball

- Couple of tweaks to marking of non ball player in open play

- Made players especially wide players less likely to drift offside when offering out ball to team mate

- Made players under no pressure less likely to play first time or second touch pass unless it is a really good option

- Fixed players risking missing easy chances by aiming too close to posts when no need to do so

- Reduced number of crosses aimed at penalty box with absolutely no team mate there or close to being there

- Couple of further small tweaks to on ball decision making

Match v904

----------

- Fine tuning and fixes to closing down and tracking of ball player

- Fine tuning to marking of non ball player

- Generally tuned balance of fouls and cards

- Players a bit quicker to get play going again at set piece when chasing game

- Fixed obscure bug where keeper could catch ball and back into own net with it

- Fixed occasional bug where player boots ball out of play for no reason

- Tweaked marking at throws in defensive third

- Fixed a couple of bugs where players would stop covering for team mate prematurely

- Fixed a couple more incidences of players not reacting to ball realistically

- Fixed bug where defenders could leave ball to keeper unrealistically and allow opponents in

- Slight tweak to movement off ball in opponent's area

- Fixed player putting ball out for injury when in scoring position unless its clear that he should

- Reduced lateral runs with ball across pitch ahead of decent passing opportunities

- Fixed underuse of playmaker at slow tempo

- Fixed general underuse of target man

- Reduced shots taken from distance when opportunity is there to take ball on further towards goal

- Slight tweak to accuracy of shots in clear cut chance positions

- Fixed bug where player diving to head ball in right on line might send ball away from goal

- Fixed bug where defender may clear ball off line without taking care not to kick it against team mate

- Encouraged earlier cross when plenty of team mates in opposition area

- Fixed bug causing keepers to walk through each other when switching over during a penalty shootout

- Ensured physios face the direction of the player they are treating when treating a player off the field

- Fixed bug where a player celebrates despite being injured

- Fixed bug where both physios stand on top of each other

- Adjusted selection of corner takers for human teams where the user hasn't assigned one in their tactics

- Ensured players don't attempt sliding celebrations if they haven't gained enough momentum to perform the slide

- Fixed bug where players would celebrate goals when a fixture was being played behind closed doors

- Fixed bug causing players to end up celebrating goals by themselves too often

- Fixed bug where the linesman would stand in an inappropriate position for free kicks that were in positions similar to corner kicks

Match v903

----------

- Rewritten tracking and marking of player with ball

- Fine tuned dribbling ability to allow for above change

- Fixed players continuing to face set piece position by default after set piece has already been taken

- Made keeper dive to head ball rather than risk a messy clearance when ball around chest height

- Made players more likely to round keeper when clear on goal

- Also made players less likely to shoot too early when clear on goal

- Slight tweak to keeper positioning when coming to meet opponent bearing down on goal

- Made players track their opponent a bit more urgently when set piece about to be taken

- Fixed bug causing keepers continuing move to intercept ball that has long since been taken under control by opponent

- Fixed a couple of issues relating to players not reacting properly to the ball

- Couple of tweaks to marking of non ball player in open play

- Made players especially wide players less likely to drift offside when offering out ball to team mate

- Made players under no pressure less likely to play first time or second touch pass unless it is a really good option

- Fixed players risking missing easy chances by aiming too close to posts when no need to do so

- Reduced number of crosses aimed at penalty box with absolutely no team mate there or close to being there

- Couple of further small tweaks to on ball decision making

Match v904

----------

- Fine tuning and fixes to closing down and tracking of ball player

- Fine tuning to marking of non ball player

- Generally tuned balance of fouls and cards

- Players a bit quicker to get play going again at set piece when chasing game

- Fixed obscure bug where keeper could catch ball and back into own net with it

- Fixed occasional bug where player boots ball out of play for no reason

- Tweaked marking at throws in defensive third

- Fixed a couple of bugs where players would stop covering for team mate prematurely

- Fixed a couple more incidences of players not reacting to ball realistically

- Fixed bug where defenders could leave ball to keeper unrealistically and allow opponents in

- Slight tweak to movement off ball in opponent's area

- Fixed player putting ball out for injury when in scoring position unless its clear that he should

- Reduced lateral runs with ball across pitch ahead of decent passing opportunities

- Fixed underuse of playmaker at slow tempo

- Fixed general underuse of target man

- Reduced shots taken from distance when opportunity is there to take ball on further towards goal

- Slight tweak to accuracy of shots in clear cut chance positions

- Fixed bug where player diving to head ball in right on line might send ball away from goal

- Fixed bug where defender may clear ball off line without taking care not to kick it against team mate

- Encouraged earlier cross when plenty of team mates in opposition area

- Fixed bug causing keepers to walk through each other when switching over during a penalty shootout

- Ensured physios face the direction of the player they are treating when treating a player off the field

- Fixed bug where a player celebrates despite being injured

- Fixed bug where both physios stand on top of each other

- Adjusted selection of corner takers for human teams where the user hasn't assigned one in their tactics

- Ensured players don't attempt sliding celebrations if they haven't gained enough momentum to perform the slide

- Fixed bug where players would celebrate goals when a fixture was being played behind closed doors

- Fixed bug causing players to end up celebrating goals by themselves too often

- Fixed bug where the linesman would stand in an inappropriate position for free kicks that were in positions similar to corner kicks

Are these fixes in the release day patch???

EDIT: Sorry just seen they are for 11.1

Thanks for the news.

For this one, my team do it a lot (in real life I mean) can you do something about it ? :p

About the ME, maybe the keepers are going too ofen out tjhe box.

All these changes on day 1 has changed my mind to get the game on release day. I'm just hoping these changes to the ME are visible I just hate the way they miss easy chances on the demo especially when they have plenty of time this will be good news to a lot of people SI keep up the good work this is the right thing to do.

• SI Staff
Looks like match engine is a failure again. This is disappointing. :(

I think the feedback has been pretty good in here.

But that doesnt mean we dont want to keep improving it with each update if possible :)

I think the feedback has been pretty good in here.

But that doesnt mean we dont want to keep improving it with each update if possible :)

Paul

Will there be any more changes to 11.1 or will the next lot of changes be for 11.2??

I just hope... and I stress on HOPE, that these closing down full-backs aren't as effective as on FM10. Okay, this may sound ********, but I played FM10 yesterday, and its simply ridiculous how many times I was treated to this scenario: a winger / wide midfielder runs to byline, crosses, it hits the opposition defender, corner >_>

I really wish the patches would maintain the efficiency and dribbling creativity we are currently seeing. It brings a smile to my face when I see Tevez notice some space between two defenders and runs through it! (<Although I do believe that this should be tweaked SLIGHTLY to allow only the more skillfull players to pull it off sucessfully, i didnt try managing a small team, so i wouldn't know how often it occurs)

I just hope... and I stress on HOPE, that these closing down full-backs aren't as effective as on FM10. Okay, this may sound ********, but I played FM10 yesterday, and its simply ridiculous how many times I was treated to this scenario: a winger / wide midfielder runs to byline, crosses, it hits the opposition defender, corner >_>

I really wish the patches would maintain the efficiency and dribbling creativity we are currently seeing. It brings a smile to my face when I see Tevez notice some space between two defenders and runs through it! (<Although I do believe that this should be tweaked SLIGHTLY to allow only the more skillfull players to pull it off sucessfully, i didnt try managing a small team, so i wouldn't know how often it occurs)

But that's what happens most of the time. The cross is cut out if the defender is having a good game. FM11 is too far the other way, they hardly block anything.

To be honest I was unsure whether to get the game this year, don't get me wrong I love playing it but it's a timescale thing (just moved house,new baby etc) but after reading this thread about the match engine and seeing the changes and effort going into improving what it's already a fantastic effort by SI I am going to order via steam. My main concern (in the 4 games I've played) is the number of goals scored (6-2,0-3,3-1 & currently 4-3 60 mins into my 4th game) and number of penalties given and the inability to defend but I'm sure these will be ironed out in the first few patches and the game will be not far from perfect.

It is no longer prossible to swap position on three players simultaneously!!!

Previously I was able to swap positions off my front three, by setting the left forward to swap with central striker, whom I had set to swap with the right forward.

Now, when you set a player to swap position, it automatically sets the swap position of the swapped player, so you can no longer swap positions of three (or more) players...

Can you please confirm whether or not this is a 'new feature', or a bug?

I've used it with great succes untill now, and it doesn't seem right to take tactical features out of the game just like that... ;-)

Looks like match engine is a failure again. This is disappointing. :(

This is very helpful. I especially like the awesome detail you have gone into so as to help Paul improve it for you. :thdn:

Please hire yourselves an in-house Quality Assurance team.

This is also genius. You know before you posted this I don't think SI had thought of that. :thdn:

Since FM is brought to the wide public through STEAM, and steam gives the developers the opportunity to deliver patches every day (if they so choose), can we expect to see continuous patching of the ME in FM2011 or will it only be patched on the usual 11.1, .2 and .3 patches during the next year?

This is very helpful. I especially like the awesome detail you have gone into so as to help Paul improve it for you. :thdn:

This is also genius. You know before you posted this I don't think SI had thought of that. :thdn:

Great some people are't they lets criticize something we know nothing about just for the sake of been critical

Wally, they are welcome to criticise but as you and I know they need to be a little more effusive with their comments :D

Yeah thats what i ment that guys gone into great detail has't he "looks like the match engine is a failure again" !!! my word great help that nice to see hes gone into detail very helpfull

Yeah thats what i ment that guys gone into great detail has't he "looks like the match engine is a failure again" !!! my word great help that nice to see hes gone into detail very helpfull

Sorry dude, didn't mean to sound critical. There are some good posts in here, those 2 not so much.

That area hasnt been changed at all, but then it was never designed as a 3 way swap system anyway. So I dont really know.....

Well, it's been changed and that's for sure! In the demo, when you set a player to swap position with another player, then BOTH of the players will get the swap box 'higlighted' with each others name. This wasn't the case in FM10. Search the forums for questions regarding how to use the swap system and there's your proof ;-)

I had a hunch that the system was never intended for 3 way swap, but never the less, it worked a charm ;-)

By the way, I'm playing on a mac... don't know if this is a mac specific issue or not...

I'm very satisfied with the engine this year. The only thing I've noticed is that players act a little weird on the wing, especially when crossing is set to rarely.

When I have my inside forwards (AMR/L) and backs out wide, they often try to dribble along the byline, towards the goal, and very rarely try to pass the ball into the box to teammates. I'm not talking about a cross here, just a pass from the byline, 45 degrees into the penalty box.

There's also some odd behaviour on the counter attack, sometimes in 2 vs 1 situations my players will move away from goal, out towards the corner flag, instead of passing the ball to the other player on the counter or taking a shot.

I also never see a player stop to feint off the defender and then pass to the other player, in 2vs1 situations.

A final thing I've noticed is that my players freeze completely a bit too often when facing the "wrong" way. If they receive a pass and have no good options in front of them, but there are plenty of players free behind them, it seems they just freeze up instead of turning 180 degrees and moving the ball on toward the flank (or forward). This is a bit hard to explain, and I know it may sound like the players just aren't creative or something, but it's more in situations where the players either know the players are free on the wing (because it's natural in that situation because of the basic shape of the formation), or where the logical thing to do is just getting the ball forward with a chip or long pass, because losing the ball in that situation would be very dangerous. I hope I haven't explained this so clumsily that no one understand what I really mean :) If so, I could provide some screenshots later today.

But anyway, I like the match engine this year a lot!

I think the ME is really, really good actually and you seem to have picked up on what I would note, vis:

- slightly too many long shots

- players finding it too easy to just run through the defence, especially between the two DCs

- not enough 'normal' shots lead to goals, but headers really often do

I think it was in this thread that I noted that my corners hardly ever beat the first man. I have now put my best in the air DC as near post flick but he never flicks it on, it's played to his feet and he either: doesn't get it at all (70% of the time), fluffs his touch (20%) or turns and shoots (10%). My corners are set to 'mixed' and I'm playing as Inter. I have players attacking the back post, from deep and lurking and the ball never goes to them. Since corners feature so prominently in the highlights, I'd really like you to look at this as it is getting annoying.

Paul, have you taken a look at the weak foot long shots issue? The central midfielders in particular are way too happy to have a pot shot from distance with their weaker foot even when they have plenty of space to switch it to their stronger side. Players who aren't genuinely comfortable with either feet should not try these shots almost at all.

17 x 16 in a penalty shootout looks real for you?

What? Where did I say that, I asked for clarification of what you were saying. Aggressive much :rolleyes:

17-16 is indeed a very high penalty shootout, but if your evidence is one shootout then I suggest you think about that for a second and calm down until you can show a relevant sample size. Even I with my 2 shootouts don't have enough to conclude anything. However they finished 5-4 and 6-5 respectively, with a total of 5 missed/saved penalties.

Well, it's been changed and that's for sure! In the demo, when you set a player to swap position with another player, then BOTH of the players will get the swap box 'higlighted' with each others name. This wasn't the case in FM10. Search the forums for questions regarding how to use the swap system and there's your proof ;-)

I had a hunch that the system was never intended for 3 way swap, but never the less, it worked a charm ;-)

By the way, I'm playing on a mac... don't know if this is a mac specific issue or not...

Rune, have you tried having 2 players swap position with the same player? example: have both your wingers swap with the central striker. this might work around your issue

Rune, have you tried having 2 players swap position with the same player? example: have both your wingers swap with the central striker. this might work around your issue

No can do... Once you set any player to swap position, the UI immediately sets the swapped player to swap with that player... tried all combos, but same result! Thanks though...

• SI Staff
Paul' date=' have you taken a look at the weak foot long shots issue? The central midfielders in particular are way too happy to have a pot shot from distance with their weaker foot even when they have plenty of space to switch it to their stronger side. Players who aren't genuinely comfortable with either feet should not try these shots almost at all.[/quote']

Its not one of the most reported issues from beta or internal, to be honest.

Examples welcome as ever :)

This is the SI that I like. With these improvements in the ME and New Liverpool owners included in the day 1 patch, already got my Steam Copy.

Just one more thing, i don't know if is really a mistake, but players with Long Shots PPM just kep doing long range shots almost every time, in real life is not that often. EX: In real life, Gerrard likes to try long shot, but he knows when he have to try a long range or pass the ball, in FM he just ignores a best positioned team mate to try a long shot, even with Long Shots set to rarely.

the whole passing system is messed up a bit, 80% of the passes of my team are done in my own half leading to 30-50 passes per defensiv player versus 5-15 of offensive players wich is quite wrong ;)

and as well as in fm 10 offensive wingers are not that much invovled into the game as they should - in fm10 you could get past that by playing them as attacking playmaker - in fm11 they have sth like 5 ball contacts per match regardless of their role...

Archived