Cannot run game: failed to set up graphics system - FM11 Demo - please help

Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3021d52b-514e-41d3-ad02-438a3ba730ba

Use the following settings in Direct-x Control Panel.

Run the following tool:

Start->Direct-X SDK->Direct-X Utilities->Direct-X Caps Viewer

Ensure the Direct-X properties appear as the dialog below. Especially important to ensure the Enumerate Reference Rasterizer is checked.

directxo.jpg

image001.jpg@01CB720E.5E2D5950

When downloading this file please use the Firefox browser as some people have encounter difficulties when using Internet Explorer.

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Also if you are running Steam, make sure this is not running when attempting to install

If this fails to work some people have reported using swiftshader has helped them in this situation.

The demo version of swiftshader (which is the full version but for home use only) can be downloaded from here - http://www.transgaming.com/business/swiftshader/signup

The link going round earlier was an illegal link of a pirate version. We recommend using the DirectX instructions as shown above, but if you wish to use swiftshader please us the link above. Cheers.

(Apologies King-Alkmaar99 for the hijack! ;))

Same thing happened to me, e-mailed one of the guys on here & said that the graphics card is outdated even though FM 2010 worked fine in 2D, guess the 'if you could run 2010 you can run 2011' line wasn't true

Hello btw :D

hello :Ninja:

so you've had no luck then?

i always run it in 2d - there should be an option before installing tbf

hello :Ninja:

so you've had no luck then?

i always run it in 2d - there should be an option before installing tbf

None pal, looks like I need a new graphics card, am probably gonna buy a laptop or notebook to play it on instead tbh, hopefully get one for about £250 ish

Where can i find the main folder ?.I searched my computer files for fm.exe,but,nothing came up.All i found was a folder containing sounds and db games.

I have downloaded swiftshader and unzipped the rar file,but,cant for the life of me find the main file of which to paste the files into.

Now,if anyone could tell me how to find this main file which i can place them into...it would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Where can i find the main folder ?.I searched my computer files for fm.exe,but,nothing came up.All i found was a folder containing sounds and db games.

I have downloaded swiftshader and unzipped the rar file,but,cant for the life of me find the main file of which to paste the files into.

Now,if anyone could tell me how to find this main file which i can place them into...it would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Are you using the Steam version of the game? If so I'm afraid I cant be of any help as I have the non-Steam version...

Maybe someone who is knowledgeable with the Steam version can help out?

Stant i have it working.Thankyou for the information regarding the need to download the swiftshadow files.How did you know that would get it to work?

Stant,i have no sound on the game though..i have tested it and nothing came out.What do you suggest i should do in order for it to work with sound ?

Stant i have it working.Thankyou for the information regarding the need to download the swiftshadow files.How did you know that would get it to work?

Stant,i have no sound on the game though..i have tested it and nothing came out.What do you suggest i should do in order for it to work with sound ?

No Problem burnsters... I just had the files laying around on my computer just in case I needed them, and luckily they worked!

As far as the sound issue, go to Preferences-> Display & Sound and make sure sound is enabled on FM.

No, make sure d3d8.dll, d3d9.dll and SwiftShader.ini are in the main FM11 folder (Where fm.exe is!)

Stant i have downloaded the swiftshader file but cant find d3d8.dll or d3d9.dll i have tried saving it in various places but still wont work. Im going to my computer, program files, football manager 11 demo and then moved swiftshader to there, alongside folders data, jre, links, and a few others am i doing something wrong?? Been trying all day to get it working and think im gonna cry!

Stant i have downloaded the swiftshader file but cant find d3d8.dll or d3d9.dll i have tried saving it in various places but still wont work. Im going to my computer, program files, football manager 11 demo and then moved swiftshader to there, alongside folders data, jre, links, and a few others am i doing something wrong?? Been trying all day to get it working and think im gonna cry!

Hi Db4... Extract the rar file to your desktop then open the folder "SwiftShader 2.01" -> Copy or paste the contents to the main FM Directory.

Hi Db4... Extract the rar file to your desktop then open the folder "SwiftShader 2.01" -> Copy or paste the contents to the main FM Directory.

Ive done this and it still comes up with the same error message, think im gonna have to give up and concede i aint gonna get to play it, unless you have any other suggestions?

Stant,the sound is enabled on FM.I tested it and nothing came out.Now apart from that,the game is running like a dream,just no sound.

Any ideas stant on what i should do ?

are your drivers for your soundcard up to date? Maybe someone from SI can help?

I think im gonna have to update my graphics card but meant to be getting a new laptop for xmas so is it worth forking out meantime just for a couple months of play?? Best re-install fm10 i guess :-(

• Administrators

We've got a bunch of system details from people suffering with this issue and it's something we're looking into, at this stage we're currently still investigating. Will try and keep you updated, thanks.

• Administrators

The demo version of swiftshader (which is the full version but for home use only) can be downloaded from here - http://www.transgaming.com/business/swiftshader/signup

The link going round earlier was an illegal link of a pirate version. We recommend using the DirectX instructions as shown above, but if you wish to use swiftshader please us the link above. Cheers.

Sorry about the illegal download post... I did not know that this was a pirate version of a paid software.

I downloaded the file from a website earlier and thought nothing of it...

And BTW the FAQ with the Direct X instructions did not work for me...

Thankyou.

How do you unzip the swiftshader file?

I go my my demo to work using the swiftshader that stant & Neil recommended. The other suggestion of updating DirectX & tweaking the control panel did not work. To those who get the graphic failed to set up error try the swiftshader. Works for me. Only one minor problem though the logo for the swiftshader appears on the bottom left corner of the screen when playing the demo. Is there anyway to get rid of it?

Deadman... when you downloaded swiftshader, was the file zipped & did was you able to open the file?

It was zipped. Just Unzipped it & move the d3d8.dll, d3d9.dll and SwiftShader.ini file to your FM11 folder. The folder should be at C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011 Demo, but if you install it through steam it will be located at C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\Football Manager 2011 Demo .

i have finally got mine working, tho it kinda sucks wiv the big logo but i think for now i can put up with it, but if anyone knows how to remove it then awesome
Does anyone know how or is it possible to remove the shiftshader logo at the bottom left of the screen when playing FM2011? very off putting

"The SwiftShader logo overlay cannot be removed in the Demonstration

release. It is of course disabled in the commercial version."

In, SwiftShader - Read Me.

Archived