FM 2011: What Team Should I Be?

Guest roberto922

Guest roberto922

Ladies and gentlemen, it's showtime :cool:

As it was last year, if you're unsure of what team to be, come in here and ask and let the oracles of GPTG suggest who you could go as! Alternatively, if you've found managing one side particularly enjoyable feel free to post about them in here. All suggestions please use the following template!

Club:

Division:

Transfer Budget:

Board Expectation:

Key Players:

Pros:

Cons:

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard):

Additional Information:

Right then, have fun.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Club: Flamengo

Division: Brazilian National First Division, Rio de Janeiro State Championship

Transfer Budget: about US$ 250k

Board Expectation: Challenge for the title

Key Players: Leonardo Moura, Juan, Willians

Pros: Good youth setup, good rep that helps attract good players

Cons: Some players in the squad are on loan and have to return to their clubs eventually, the club have debts too

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 4

Additional Information: Flamengo are the most popular team in Brazil, with around 35 million fans, and play at the mythical Maracanã stadium. Managing Flamengo would be easy if it wasn't for the fact there are other strong teams in Brazil, so you can easily get fired if you struggle for too long.

Club: Portsmouth

Division: npower Championship

Transfer Budget: £0

Board Expectation: Mid table finish

Key Players: Liam Lawrence, Ricardo Rocha, Dave Kitson

Pros: Great challenge, decent 1st 11

Cons: Transfer embargo, small squad, no money.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 8

Additional Information: One of the hardest challenges of FM11, can you get Pompey back up to the Premier League and start winning trophies again?

Club: Nottingham Forest

Division: Npower Championship

Transfer Budget: £500k for promotion(£110k for wages). £625k for winner(£120k for wages).

Board Expectation: Promotion or Winner

Key Players: Lee Camp, Dexter Blackstock, Chris Cohen, Paul McKenna, Wes Morgan.

Pros: Great squad to work with. Lots of free agents to try and buy.

Cons: Only one good natural Left Back. Not a lot of money but still a good challenge.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 5/6, the reason being is that the Npower Championship is a tough division with so many teams capable of promotion to the promised land.

Additional Information: Not won a trophy for 12 years. Can you bring glory back to The City Ground?

Club: Norwich City

Transfer Budget: 1.2m (1.8m for Winner), 80K wage budget (92K if Winner)

Board Expectation: Mid-table finish

Key Players: Ruddy, Surman, Hoolahan, Grant Holt

Pros: Good young squad, just promoted, large stadium

Cons: Just promoted, so maybe a bit weak

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 7

Additional Information: Great club, always good fun, 26000 supporters every week, Delia Smith/Stephen Fry.

Club: Athletic Club Bilbao

Division: Spanish Liga BBVA

Transfer Budget: $4.3mil

Board Expectation: Top half finish

Key Players: Fernando Llorente, Markel Susaeta, Andoni Iraola, Javi Martinez, Iker Muniain

Pros: Solid squad, moves into new stadium in 2012, top training facilities and excellent youth setup, solid youth/young players

Cons: Can only sign Basque players/Spanish players 16 or younger, probably not good enough to win quickly

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 8- given their transfer policy, it is difficult to win quickly, but with the right moves and patient development of young players, they can be great.

Additional Information: My favorite team, so of course I am going to tout them wherever I can. However, they provide one of the most unique challenges in the game. It is also interesting to note that they are one of only three teams (Barcelona and Real Madrid being the others) to never have been relegated from the top division- which is surprising given their restrictive transfer policy.

Ok guys - who should I be?

In the past I've had great games as AZ Alkmaar and Empoli, as well as York City. I would like a long term game in Europe with a club that has one or two star players, but needs work to turn into a great team.

I'm thinking Italian, Spanish, German and French Leagues.

Guest roberto922

From your description I'd say Everton are pretty ideal, shall do the template when I get on the laptop, difficult to select certain bits on the ipad

Guest roberto922

Fair enough, I'll put them in anyway

Club: Everton FC

Division: English Premier Division

Transfer Budget: £3.6m +

Board Expectation: Top half of the table

Key Players: Mikel Arteta, Phil Jagielka, Leighton Baines, Tim Cahill, Steven Pienaar, Marouane Fellaini.

Pros: Some great youngsters like Rodwell, Barkley, Hammar, Duffy. Top training facilities. Strong squad, some great players, but decent challenge as some areas still need filling.

Cons: No proper right winger, not much money, alot of strikers but no real standouts.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 6?

Additional Information: Don't really have much else to say, pretty much everyone knows what Everton is all about

All i would say is dont be real madrid or man city, theres no challenge as you can buy who you want and have a great squad anyway.

Club: Liverpool

Division: Prem (just)

Transfer Budget: not sure

Board Expectation: not sure

Key Players: Gerrard, Torres

Pros: Good youngsters (for first time in ages) and lots of rebuilding to do so you can build your own side

Cons: Club in a state, key players often injured

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 7

Additional Information:

Club: Newcastle United

Division: English Premier Division

Transfer Budget: £1.5m

Board Expectation: Avoid Relegation

Key Players: Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, Andy Carroll, José Enrique

Pros: Good youngsters such as Vuckic, Ranger and Carroll

Cons: No backup left back, lots of injuries to key players

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 6

Additional Information: none

Club: Leicster City

Division: English Championship

Transfer Budget: £6m and i think 140k wages from memory

Board Expectation: Promotion

Key Players: Alexsander Tunchev, Andy King, Matty Fryatt

Pros: high attendances for championship level, plenty of cash

Cons:high expectation, squad needs plenty of improvement

Level of Difficulty about a 6 maybe?

Additional Information: a fairly strong spine but plenty of areas to improve in the team as well. spend the 6m wisely and the championship should be fairly easy. mind that minimum expectation is promotion, theres no doubt a slow start will put you under big pressure

Ok guys - who should I be?

In the past I've had great games as AZ Alkmaar and Empoli, as well as York City. I would like a long term game in Europe with a club that has one or two star players, but needs work to turn into a great team.

I'm thinking Italian, Spanish, German and French Leagues.

Haven't played as them this year, but with Pastore amongst other decent players, Palermo could be what you're looking for :thup:

I don't know which team to play as in my first save. I want to play as FC United eventually, but first want to give another team a try. I've narrowed it down to either MK Dons or Cambirdge United, but am not sure which of the two would be more enjoyable to play as. Which would you choose if you had to choose one of the two?

Club: Rotherham

Division: Npower league 2

Transfer Budget: £50,000

Board Expectation: Win league 2

Key Players: Le Fondre, Nicky Law

Pros: Very Large Club! Can sell lots of players to generate more money.

Cons: Minimum expectation is to win the league... Therefore, a risk of being sacked! Wages take immediate effect on monthly turnover

Level of Difficulty: Depends on your ambitions. My goal is to get to the premiership therefore difficulty = 10/10

Club: Nottingham Forest

Transfer Budget: £500k for promotion(£110k for wages). £625k for winner(£120k for wages).

Board Expectation: Promotion or Winner

Key Players: Lee Camp, Dexter Blackstock, Chris Cohen, Paul McKenna, Wes Morgan.

Pros: Great squad to work with. Lots of free agents to try and buy.

Cons: Only one good natural Left Back. Not a lot of money but still a good challenge.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 5/6, the reason being is that the Npower Championship is a tough division with so many teams capable of promotion to the promised land.

Additional Information: Not won a trophy for 12 years. Can you bring glory back to The City Ground?

no mention of McGugan?

after losing my love for the Toon save I was playing early on fm10 (my transfer policy on that save being the main reason to blame, which made me feel like I was not playing Toon anymore), since then I have systimaticaly failed to get into any english league saves...hopefully fm11 can give me some new vigor for this bit

so on the current shortlist I have:

Pompey

Birmingham

Stoke

Manchester City

Chelsea

after losing my love for the Toon save I was playing early on fm10 (my transfer policy on that save being the main reason to blame, which made me feel like I was not playing Toon anymore), since then I have systimaticaly failed to get into any english league saves...hopefully fm11 can give me some new vigor for this bit

so on the current shortlist I have:

Pompey

Birmingham

Stoke

Manchester City

Chelsea

Be Nottingham Forest mate :). Try to take them back to European Cup glory. Now called the Champions League.

Club: Birmingham City

Division: English Premier League

Transfer Budget: £15.5M to £25M

Board Expectation: Top Half Finish

Key Players: Zigic, Hleb, Johnson

Pros: Lots of Money, Decent squad

Cons: Aging team, Decent squad

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 6, Last years overachievement means higher expectations in the first season.

Be Nottingham Forest mate :). Try to take them back to European Cup glory. Now called the Champions League.

I tired for a pre-session on fm10, did not really the like it, so im sorry to say its not a team I would consider playing

Club: Saint-Etienne

Division: Ligue 1

Transfer Budget: £0,00

Board Expectation: At least a mid table finish

Key Players: Bayal, Matuidi, Battles, Rivière and Payet

Pros: Very talented squad, good youth setup

Cons: No money (on every level), unrealistic fans no support from the board whatsoever and the squad lacks technical and creative players

Level of Difficulty: Reaching the minimum expectations isn't that hard but if you start having some injuries in your team

you may be in for a difficult task since there is no transfer budget.

Club: Darlington FC

Division: Blue Square Bet Premier

Transfer Budget: $0 wage - 29.5k promotion, 31.5k winner

Board Expectation: Win Promotion

Key Players: Ian Miller, Paul Arnison, Michael Brough

Pros: Big newish Stadium (25k), Good youngsters have come through in past games, Good spine of team, Fun to play, "easy" to be the most successful manager ever

Cons: Little creativity, if you don't win first few games morale goes rock bottom, not sure about profligacy of board in 2011, high wage bill

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): Promotion - 4 After that it just goes up and up :)

Additional Information: My favourite team, great little community feel for your game.

Club: Chelsea FC :)

Division: English Premier League.

Board Expectation: Challenge for the title.

Transfer Budget: £50m for title challenge, £66m for title winner.

Key Players: John Terry, Ashley Cole, Michael Essien, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba.

Pros: Bucket loads of cash, extremely strong 1st XI, good youth prospects, fantastic thread ;)

Cons: Aging stars, mediocre backups, maybe a lack of creativity, high pressure, small stadium.

Level of Difficulty: Depends on your goals. You could quite easily do up the squad using loads of money and win everything comfortably first season. If so then a 1 or 2. Alternatively you could spend wisely in line with Abramovich's vision to make CFC profitable, rely on youth and one large-ish signing per season. You should still be winning everything, but maybe a 4.

Brilliant!! I'm a darlo fan and we have gone through the ringer over the past ten years. I would agree that promotion back to league two is achievable but then you have a great challenge on your hands to make a success of the club. In real life we've been only once or twice had fleeting elements of success so it's a great club to propel for the first time through the football league on FM!

Hi. I'm looking for an ambitious team but not a top 4 team which needs rebuilding and has a healthy enough transfer budget to allow for purchases. Not fussed which league.

Any suggestions?

Doesn't quite have the healthy transfer budget, but has plenty of potential:

Club: LOSC Lille Métropole

Transfer Budget: £1m iirc

Board Expectation: Continental qualification

Key Players: Adil Rami, Gervinho, Rio Mavuba, Yohan Cabaye, Eden Hazard

Pros: Very strong youth: Eden Hazard, Lucas Digne in the reserves, etc. French League, with the exception of Lyon, is very unpredictable so anyone can finish anywhere.

Cons: Little money. You'll end up converting most of your transfer budget to wages if you want to keep Hazard, Gervinho and Rami.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 5

Additional Information: Set yourself a target of being a dominant European side and dethrone Lyon. Sell some of the dead weight to free up funds. I also got my transfer budget increased by 2.8M in around November.

Want to have a go in Serie A but am undecided between Napoli, Roma or Fiorentina. Any ideas?

Napoli have a good starting team and ambitious chairman. Hamsik, Cavani, Lavezzi = goals.

Roma are an old squad and poor club.

Fiorentina are young and decent but with Jovetic injured for 1st season and not massive budget I'd steer clear.

Doesn't quite have the healthy transfer budget, but has plenty of potential:

Club: LOSC Lille Métropole

Transfer Budget: £1m iirc

Board Expectation: Continental qualification

Key Players: Adil Rami, Gervinho, Rio Mavuba, Yohan Cabaye, Eden Hazard

Pros: Very strong youth: Eden Hazard, Lucas Digne in the reserves, etc. French League, with the exception of Lyon, is very unpredictable so anyone can finish anywhere.

Cons: Little money. You'll end up converting most of your transfer budget to wages if you want to keep Hazard, Gervinho and Rami.

Level of Difficulty (1 to 10 - 10 being very hard): 5

Additional Information: Set yourself a target of being a dominant European side and dethrone Lyon. Sell some of the dead weight to free up funds. I also got my transfer budget increased by 2.8M in around November.

He wont have to dethrone Lyon! We havent been champions for 2 years haha! And Ligue 1 is a great challenge, for example i am Lyon and i didnt win Ligue 1 this season, See i would either go Lille or AS.Saint Etienne, they have a good squad, but its in need of some serious work, and they are Lyons greatest rivals.

Napoli have a good starting team and ambitious chairman. Hamsik, Cavani, Lavezzi = goals.

Roma are an old squad and poor club.

Fiorentina are young and decent but with Jovetic injured for 1st season and not massive budget I'd steer clear.

Napoli sounds good to me I have been meaning to play as them on the last 2 FM's but never got round to it.

Looking for the worst team on football manager? I dont know if this is even possible to know, is there a way to see this? maybe lowest reputation or overall value?

If anyone knows let me know!

cheers :)

I wouldn't say their the worst but why not Dundee FC. On -25 points and not a lot of money or players. Should be a good challenge :thup:.

Right, I'm hoping to start a new game, hopefully in one of the major European leagues. With a fair bit of money to revamp the setup.

I don't know how much money they have but AC Milan, maybe Chelsea. Both having ageing squads so it could be a challenge to bring youth in to your team. Or you could be Nottingham Forest and try to bring European Glory back to then :D.

I'm thinking of starting a save and choosing between Napoli, Lazio, Fiorentina & Palermo. Basically, a team in the top flight with plenty of promise but aren't quite the top team in their division.

Maybe I'd like to play in France. Any teams that would fit the bill? I thought of starting a Toulouse save, but that's a bit of a challenge for me (I'm sort of new to FM and kinda need to be able to ease into it).

So again, not a top team, but a top half team with maybe some promising youths. Preferably in Italy or France.

Right, I'm hoping to start a new game, hopefully in one of the major European leagues. With a fair bit of money to revamp the setup.

As the guy above said, Chelsea could be what you're looking for. Plenty of money to start with and most of their starting XI is around 30 or over (Lampard, Terry, Anelka, Malouda, Drogba, etc.), so you'll need to makeover the team pretty soon. They've got some youth options, but certainly not as much as Arsenal or Man U or such.

Archived