OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

All in all i like the demo and i'm sure the game will be another i spend upto 3 months of my life in the next year or so playing. There are a few things that have caught my eye that i feel are wrong/should be added....

1. Ability to input the amount of international caps you have when first creating your manager profile (should you select experience level as international footballer).

2. Ability to add multiple favorite clubs when creating a new manager profile.

3. (Taken from a post #1142) Ability to add playing history (including clubs, apperances, honors, etc) when creating a new manager.

5. (Taken from a post #1142) Option to play as a real manager.

3. I caught a glance at my brothers game, checked Leeds out and found Peter Risdale on the bloody icon list.... Are you being serious?! Also no Jack Charlton?!

4. Choice of different colour boots in the editor (can't be that hard to implement and would add a bit of colour to the game and realism as it's not the 60's anymore lol).

5. Players in the 3D match viewer don't have numbers on the back of their shirts (that i can see anyway and i'm using the TV camera angle, though this could be a detail issue).

6. Should be able to have talks with players who are unhappy with you again after a set amount of time. Clear the air talks if you will. (Bare in mind this may be possible as i'm only 7 games into the demo so maybe i'll see in in the future)

7. Full game should be out today rather than in two weeks time :p

8. Ability to add future stadium expansions (not new stadiums) via the editor (may already be possible but we'll have to wait and see).

Thats roughly all i can think of right now. I know, small things but small details can make a big difference. But again, game looks good and can't wait for the full version!

Thought of a another one.

1. Still a problem when it comes to assigning roles to strikers. Say you want a target man and a complete forward well you can have that but it also means you can't have them switch position as they will also switch roles also. Si really need to look at this as in real life (and i assume they are trying to get a close as possible to that) strikers don't switch roles as soon as they find themselves playing on the right side of attack instead of the left. Personally i want my forwards switching sides, makes them harder to mark and i've noticed in past versions it gets me way more in way of goals but in the same breath chances are missed because of the whole role switching side of it where a speedy striker gets caught in possession because he's not much of a target man.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I agree with those who've said that the new features are by-and-large aces. Press conferences feel much nicer than they ever have, I love the match preparation (as a concept,) the heat-maps and average positions in the post-match analysis are incredibly useful. Also, the agents and corresponding contract negotiations are just great. In previous versions, I never really negotiated contracts because it was such a pain. I usually just accepted their offer or didn't. Wasn't really worth it to try to lower things here and there, then have to wait a few days to get a new negotiation or a flat no. I have a feeling I'll spend a lot more time on these negotiations in this version, which is terrific. Small additions like the offside-line on replays, the staff bios, and the naming of the derbies add that much more to the experience. I sympathize with those that think the player chats are likely to become a little bit redundant, but I'm sure that will improve in future versions. I don't sympathize at all with those who are complaining about how individual players are rated, since you can change that with the editor on release day.

One thing I like in theory but think could be improved in practice is the 'talk to press' options. Is it really that Jose Mourinho calls up Marca and says 'send over a reporter, I'd like to talk about Unai Emery' or is it more likely that a reporter from Marca calls up Mourinho and says, 'say, what do you think of Emery?' I'm guessing the latter. So, in future versions (maybe even a patch?), I think it'd be nice if we got requests for interviews that dealt with several topics rather than going to reporters to talk about just one thing.

Overall, aces. You've done it again, fellas, and I've had to uninstall FM 2010 since I couldn't stand to play it anymore.

a couple of things:

1. Whenever my backroom meetings result in more than one 'private chats' with the same player, I cannot complete more than one. I finish the first one and discover that there is another PPM recommendation, I click 'private chat' but I can only click on 'exit' since I ended the first private chat.

2. Going into extra time and in the 2nd half of it, I was no longer able to go into tactics etc using the menus under my team name (in 3D)

3. When making a sub at half time, there is no 'are you sure you want to make these changes?'

4. In backroom meeting, sometimes the last advice is missing the buttons. This was also on FM2010.

Guys, i think theres something weird is going on, i just got these scout reports right here

8e6ac8783350b8ad3e35c9bce3d28e8c.png

eb0ad670dbde4cacb50843f5db4764e6.png

this all would be fine... if the players werent like this

Blue- Mavuba

Gray- Pirlo

7bf88ebbdc667a5226f72c218e8b3025.png

Blue- Obraniak

Gray- Ronaldinho

c2ff0eada3f2489d2260d385e3ea55b1.png

Are these players really the kind of players who would be leading stars in the Serie A? I dont really think so. The scout is rated 18/19 so its not low stats.

Also some ingame commentary isnt showing up on the 2D Classic/TV View, to be more precise, the yellow card messages. It goes "The referee is calling Seedorf", then it doesnt show the yellow card message, it just continues fast forwarding. The yellow card shows up on the timeline though. Also get back the GOAL FOR BARCELONA flashing text when a offside goal happens please, it gives the whole "YEA GOAL O WAIT IT WAS OFFSIDE FFFFUUU" thing that happens in real life much better than having a non-flashing text (which automatically means its offside, its not as exciting).

Started a game against Blackburn and the weather was fine but as the game's progressed it's rained more & more and now it's a downpour! Very impressed SI!

Also had a penalty appeal turned down but the players had their arms up waving away trying to change the refs decision. Later in the game I did get a penalty and instead of previous games where the 2d dot just stops, this time i saw the player falling over.

The new post match screen is fantastic too. The screen's always been there but now it just looks so much more tidy and instead of having a large page with no info on, it's elegantly filled.

With regards to the 'set piece creator' - there's been a lot of noise from people who'r miffed it isnt a total revamp. Personally speaking, having a job and other things in my life I'm kinda glad it isnt one of those things! It was fine to begin with apart from the cheating and thankfully this has been eliminated but now we see visually what we'r telling the players to do.

Very nifty you can do a loan report too! Loving that.

@ Joe - yes I am having the same problems. I am Barcelona - and having scouted around 40 odd young players - the vast majority of them have been rated 3 stars PA and will play to a similar standard to the likes of Mess, Xavi, Iniesta, and Villa. Something is definitely wrong. It like every play according to my scouts (and they are good scouts) are going to tun into great players!!!

OK so I've finally played my first match and the new 3d engine and TV view are phenominal! I think the transitions from dots to actual players finally feels complete in this view. I've actually slowed down the match speed from where i had it in FM 2010 just because it looks so great. I also love the option to change the view for the replay. The zoomed vertical scrolling view is immensly helpful in determining what went wrong when you conceed goals, and just enjoying the brilliance when you score them. :)

I also like the new post match screen. As mention in my first post however, there is still quite a bit of wasted space here. If you reworked a few of the widgets on this screen you could probably fit the match analysis and milestones all on the 1 page without having to use tabs for them. (Man of the match window, Referee window, results window, and top scorers window are all bigger than they need to be.)

Getting really annoyed with the conversation feature. Maybe it's just me but it seems as soon as your in a conversation with an unhappy player you seem destined to make them more unhappy. Right now i'm facing a player revolt and i haven't even hit November yet. Either way you just can't win as nearly as all the players seem to be high off their own asses. If they say they want more respect you can't back down and say your wrong.... It just seems the conversation feature needs tweaking with more options as right now it all seems to be heading down a one way street from the start with just two options to start with. Lets hope it's better in the full version....

Also i think the rating for Leeds United's training facility is way off the mark as it should be way way higher!

Just a question on something I am interested in, I didn't think you had to register players for the football league (25) like in the prem? My team Saints have signed Bignal and Chaplow in real life but in the game I cannot register players after august 31st (we signed this players 2 weeks ago in real life)

Nice 3D just please can you fix the "skating moves"? Also i canot setup any usefull tactic for games i'm playing out. The tactic i have is superb for home games but it is not working away at all. It looks like there is big different beween how you will play games home/away in 2011. I uninstalled the game rather then to get angry at myself.

I really do like how interaction between people on this game is much better than in previous versions, but does every manager I meet have to be an arse?

verysourgrapes.png

Extreme case of sour grapes?

My Cambridge team drew with Fulham in a friendly, and after the match the Fulham manager complimented me as a manager. So I did the same in return, and he proceeded to compliment me a second time :)

Thought of a another one.

1. Still a problem when it comes to assigning roles to strikers. Say you want a target man and a complete forward well you can have that but it also means you can't have them switch position as they will also switch roles also. Si really need to look at this as in real life (and i assume they are trying to get a close as possible to that) strikers don't switch roles as soon as they find themselves playing on the right side of attack instead of the left. Personally i want my forwards switching sides, makes them harder to mark and i've noticed in past versions it gets me way more in way of goals but in the same breath chances are missed because of the whole role switching side of it where a speedy striker gets caught in possession because he's not much of a target man.

Agreed... I, for one, would have loved this feature. It expands a manager's strategic options to outplay / outsmart the opposition's manager

Exactly. It just seems a bit set in stone at the moment as you wouldn't see real life managers giving a set role to the formation (e.g. right forward - target man, left forward - defensive forward), they'd give the role to the players and naturally want them to switch, become harder to mark and so on. Sort it out Si!

My Cambridge team drew with Fulham in a friendly, and after the match the Fulham manager complimented me as a manager. So I did the same in return, and he proceeded to compliment me a second time :)

I wish I had your luck.

jealousgrapes.png

I hope this isn't going to be the common reaction whenever a smaller club gets thrashed by a bigger club.

Okay, I have concluded my final first impressions on the Football Manager 2011 Demo:

I think that potentially the game is worth the buy... and I'd most likely invest a lot of hours into the game like I did its predecessor Football Manger 2010 :cool: (I clocked around 800 hours before I uninstalled it on Wednesday), however with the amount of problems that I've hit whilst playing the demo and the problems that I've seen posted around the forums by other users is quite worrying considering that those of us that play the demo are mainly influenced in our decision to by the game by its quality.

A few examples of the many current problems withe the game which I have embarked on: lack of options to choose from in every area of the private chat feature / lack of responses available for previous/next match fixtures / players being on loan but their hapiness registering like they are not on loan / bugs with what the media are saying / transfer and contract negotian bugs - and with these bugs and those posted around the forums in mind... I have decided I won't be buying the game until I have visible evidence from the other forum users on here that those issues have been sorted out, because many of those bugs that I've embarked on myself (never mind the ones posted by other users) would have a lasting effect on my enjoyment of playing the game, and I can't imagine all those problems will be fixed by the release of the full game until reassured otherwise. :thdn:

I am a little concerned that the game has got to the stage where it could be released as a demo without all these problems being identified and fixed first. SI have obviously got a group of employees that test the game before it goes to demo, and during only my first 10 hours of playing time I have already managed to find enough problems to put me off buying the game in knowing that it is released as a full product in 12 days, and I'm not even intentially going out of my way to find these problems that I'm picking up... unlike the game testers would that get paid to indentify them, but these are just simple problems that anyone playing the game for a short period of time would find, so I can't understand why they are there at this stage...

I'll be keeping my eye out for those postive posts from active users about how all the major problems that have been raised from us all have been rectified, but until then I won't be buying Football Manager 2011 and sharing my gaming time between itself and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Other than the problems that we are all finding (which are major problems), the game looks like it would probably be worth the buy like I mentioned at the start of my post. :)

The best way to describe how I feel about the demo is let down (due to the reasons I've gave above), but I have optimism that SI will start fixing these issues sooner rather than later if they want this game to be a success. :thup:

So to sum it all up for SI: For me, the game is not playable for a proper season in its current state of problems.

I have to join the choir of people saying that the private conversations are too limited.

Often my response options are very negative, and thus you will end up making things worse. With the vast number of issues that can come up during a season, Id imagine something like this could hamper your team morale quite a bit.

please add more positive comments, so any issue can be handled in different ways and not just the "Im boss, suck it up, or you will be on the list"..

I have to join the choir of people saying that the private conversations are too limited.

Often my response options are very negative, and thus you will end up making things worse. With the vast number of issues that can come up during a season, Id imagine something like this could hamper your team morale quite a bit.

please add more positive comments, so any issue can be handled in different ways and not just the "Im boss, suck it up, or you will be on the list"..

Same, as mentioned before, I would've loved a choice to say to the player he will get a chance real soon to prove himself, something mildly positive! But when sifting through the options I had, all I found was a bundle of negativity that would make me look like a bully :p

And, I have to agree with Dan.. would it have hurt to release the demo a bit early (before the game went gold?).. Seriously, the community found so many bugs within hours of playing the game, I find it very concerning that those bugs are actually gonna make it to the released version of the game. What were the testers doing? -_-

I only hope SI learned their lesson, and FM 12 will be able to avoid all this negative feedback two weeks before its release

Does anyone else find this demo awefull to play??

The demo is usefull as it shows you new features n stuff..... Some I like n some I dont.

I just cant play the demo in anyway, there are so many players missing it just doesnt seem realistic...(database so small)

Lol I bet thats to get people with rubbish operating systems to believe they can run the game smoothly n wi no problems so they buy the game....

Also I started a game with Leeds united... how come the seasons fixture list is completly wrong????/

I think I'm getting too old for this now. For me the game doesn't have the magic it used to. Too much going on in the game - all I want to do is buy a few players, pick a team and play a match. I don't want all the phaff with "conversations", intricate training and tactics, pointless repetitive interactions with the media etc etc.

Certain aspects of the 3D ME have improved, but the players are too small - is it necessary to see the whole of pitch all of the time? Why not a typical TV view where the camera follows the action, less pitch, bigger players please.

The number of long shots is quite rediculous - all over the bar naturally, begging the question why bother with tactics at all. Also I seem to spend too much time looking at an empty pitch and just when I think it's frozen the players gently fade in and about half an hour of match play has passed. Why do some of the stadiums look like prisons? Sadly for me I don't see a huge improvement from FM2010 and probably won't bother tbh :(

Just a question on something I am interested in, I didn't think you had to register players for the football league (25) like in the prem? My team Saints have signed Bignal and Chaplow in real life but in the game I cannot register players after august 31st (we signed this players 2 weeks ago in real life)

Can anybody answer this?

Usually quite positive about new FM releases - even the occasionally villified ones like '09 - but not so sure about this one at the moment. I haven't got to playing matches yet, but have to say it keeps jumping out at me:

Chelsea spending 60m on players - this ain't 2005 anymore. Needs more playing before judgment but if the transfer AI is as gormless as before then I'd say those are the kind of improvements that deliver a better game. I like the Agent system but all that won't matter so much if what is happening in the trasnfer world isn't believable. We'll see.

Does anyone else find this demo awefull to play??

The demo is usefull as it shows you new features n stuff..... Some I like n some I dont.

I just cant play the demo in anyway, there are so many players missing it just doesnt seem realistic...(database so small)

Lol I bet thats to get people with rubbish operating systems to believe they can run the game smoothly n wi no problems so they buy the game....

Also I started a game with Leeds united... how come the seasons fixture list is completly wrong????/

I agree with the issue of small database size. There should have been a version including all players for those of us who -hate- 'greyed' out players. It feels as if we're supposed to test this game with our hands tied.

i like the game but the thing that bugging me is i play in windowed mode, and when doing my training schedule i cant see the training workload slider thing at the bottom of the screen, i have to change screen to default to see it.

apart from that, good game

also with Coaches Training missing the last couple (EG. Shooting and Attack etc).

Generally speaking the game looks very good and smooth.

Like the interface, tactic and set-piece creator, graphics, contract negotiations

Don't really dislike anything though the interaction sometimes seems a little strange. Example: I asked the board to get a parent club, they agreed and the next option was that the conversation has run its course, which sounds a bit rude considering they gave me what I wanted. The idea is a step in the right direction though and will probably be improved in future versions. it's also difficult to find a couple of things, for example, it took me ages to find the screen to decide who is in charge of each team, etc. Also, some wage demands of scouts, coaches etc. seem very unrealistic (unproven coaches wanting 600+ quid for a part-time contract seems a bit OTT.

Even though I think the game is good, I'm having difficulty getting into it. Maybe its because it's the demo and it's a quick save, but I'm not sure whether I'm going to buy the game, which will be the first time in over 10 years that I don't.

ff95f606442180adbfc566adfd3637c2.png

He scored a lob from outside the area in the last match, for a good 7.2 rating.

Also in the backroom advice screen i get messages about how two of my players are unhappy with the training workload... but when i go to the specific player training page it says they are happy with the training workload. At least my AssMan disagreed with both messages

Game looks pretty good from what little I've played. The only note I'd make is that it seems that some researchers seem to have been a little harsh particularly with certain countries. Scotland might as well make curling our national sport if these stats were all right. The Dutch and a whole host of their players and talents are unbelievably underrated. France as always have ridiculously large numbers of talents. As usual anything or anyone connected to premiership is fantastic. Fabregas has a higher CA than Iniesta! Seriously? I suppose it is all about opinions and that's why you get an editor.

ff95f606442180adbfc566adfd3637c2.png

He scored a lob from outside the area in the last match, for a good 7.2 rating.

Also in the backroom advice screen i get messages about how two of my players are unhappy with the training workload... but when i go to the specific player training page it says they are happy with the training workload. At least my AssMan disagreed with both messages

that's rubbish tbh. i dont hate this conversation stuff, but some of the players do seem to get upset very easily...

Anyone else finding this a bit easy? I started with Man Utd, only bought Dzeko and my first two games of the season:

Chelsea v Man Utd (community shield) 0-3

than first game of season away to arsenal arsenal 0-6 man utd

they didnt even put up a fight :D

never mind just ended up drawing 2-2 to west brom after having a 2-0 lead at half time.. realistic :p

I am not sure if anyone else is/has been experiencing this, but on the transfer deadline day I made a signing that required a workpermit. The squad registration accured just before I managed to have the player in the squad although he accepted terms and workpermit was granted (transfer-window was closing later that day), so it looks like I can't use him until the transfer window opens in January & a new squad registration is possible. Wouldn't it be more correct if the final squad registration happened immediatly before the transfer window closes (like the page before in computer terms ;))? Having the V.D. Vaart deal in mind...

Don't know if anyones spotted something similar to this but in the build up to my away tie in the cl group stages against inter milan (i'm tottenham) i got a news item titled benitez speaks of tottenham's good form it then goes on to say : Inter manager Rafa Benitez has told Tottenham Hotspur supremo Scott Johnstone in the build-up to their Serie A clash on wednesday that he truly hopes the best team win. Benitez commented that Johnstone was a good manager and with Tottenham's recent good form he would not begrudge Tottenham the victory . I'm assumign everyone spotted the mistake i've put it in bold just incase i'm not going in a huff over it i'm merely bringing it to si's attention because it would be wrong not too !

Archived