OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All bugs for now in the FM11 Bugs Forum - this will be for the Aussie League Specific Issues which is...actually it looks like you've already found it. But as I've written this much I'll end it with a pearl of wisdom. Umm...look both ways when crossing the road! We're here to help in all walks of life! ;)

:D

Should of really done that first...

ok, this is clearly not a bug, but a feature, but when it happened it felt like a bug, cos i got no information about what was happening.

i was in the 80th minute winning 3-1 against West Ham, and decided to use my 3rd sub to take off Kuyt cos he was on a yellow.

Lo and behold, the next clip after I confirm it, Konchesky gets a straight red for hacking someone down.

It switches to the tactics screen and on the pitch view i have only 9 players. Konchesky is missing from DL and Kuyt is missing from AMR. Over on the list, Kuyt is faded out, like he's been taken off, but Cole [who was coming on for him originally] is also faded out.

Confused, I place Gerrard at DL and continue. Next clip I see Kuyt has the ball. I look at tactics and its the same, with Gerrard at DL and 9 players on the pitch. No Kuyt, who is still faded out on the left. I decide to try switching Kuyt with Skrtel, on the list, and it works. Now Skrtel is on the pitch at AMR, and I have 10 men again!!

Bottom line, it had semi-cancelled my substitution due to the red card. I still had to take off Kuyt, but I was able to change the player I was bringing on.

Is this a well known feature and I've just been living in a cave??

*edit*

forgot to mention, also the 'pause' button in the top right was completely black after Konchesky was sent off, and didn't do anything

i tried to upload again a video to youtube, now the game didn't crashed, but it stayed for a while in 100% processing, and finally gave me a message of error that he can't upload to check my connection.

do i need to open any ports?

ps: i've found several errors in semantics and double words, wrong gender, etc.. should i report here? or other thread? or wait for the official release?

Only just downloaded the game, and I'm loving the introduction of agents, even though they can be a little annoying at times.

Dealing with contract negotiations seems a bit more complex, but that is a move towards greater realism, which is what I want from the game.

Is anyone else finding that they only concede goals two ways? Long range strike or headed goals from crosses from the wings?

nope.

against arsenal i conceded a long range strike, a far post tap in and a near post tap in

west ham's goal was a far post header

southampton's goals were a counter one-on-one-with-reina and a cross to the penalty spot, side footed in

city scored a near post tap in from a free kick

that's all i can think of :)

Demo has lots of positives but a few annoying things that need to be fixed:

1- when a player is not interested in joining your club, we should at least be able to offer them a contract to be able to convince them with big cash.( right now the agent tells you he is not interested and thats is.)

2-The buttons on the tactics screen needs to be like FM10 which was much easier to go around.( in FM10, formation,player instructions, team instructions was already on the screen but now you have to click formation and then look for these.)

3- i have now played 5-6 games and i have had no injured players what-so-ever.

4- signing players are very easy. coentrao 2.7M, lukaka 6M, Fellaini 11M, poli 8,5M these players are much more expensive in real life.

5-Agents asking for low minimum fee release clauses and are not changing that demand r.( 11M accepted for fellaini, agent asks for 11.75M minimum clause and wont even accept 13M minimum clause.)

4- signing players are very easy. coentrao 2.7M, lukaka 6M, Fellaini 11M, poli 8,5M these players are much more expensive in real life.

I dont quite agree, its nice theres more difference between the real top players, and less proved players.. I thought the latter often had very steep prices in fm10, whereas they seem more managble and realistic in fm 11. Top players still req. 25+ mil tho.

I dont quite agree, its nice theres more difference between the real top players, and less proved players.. I thought the latter often had very steep prices in fm10, whereas they seem more managble and realistic in fm 11. Top players still req. 25+ mil tho.

in real life, coentrao would cost more than 15M, same case with the others. everton bought fellaini for around 20M, why would they sell for just 11M?? takes away the realism.

in real life, coentrao would cost more than 15M, same case with the others. everton bought fellaini for around 20M, why would they sell for just 11M?? takes away the realism.

I agree someone like coentrao would cost 2 to 3 times what he costs in the demo. However with someone like Fellaini maybe that was just a result of the market back then, plus him being tuted as the next big thing.. Its soem seasons away, and now maybe hes true valkue is more evident.

Its a hard line trying to find the right prices, but will have to see how it reacts in the full game.

anyone noticed that when you enter the tactics screen the team formation screen disapears when you click on a option on the left side panel , you then have to click the formation tab again to display it???

I have a Macbook Pro and the graphics card GeForce 8600M GT, anyone else having jerky 3D graphics?

Might be worth checking out the link below and maybe doing a little more research. There are a large number of Macbook Pros suffering from an inherent defect in the Nvidia processor.

http://theappleblog.com/2009/06/01/apple-extends-macbook-pro-nvidia-geforce-service-policy-to-three-years/

anyone noticed that when you enter the tactics screen the team formation screen disapears when you click on a option on the left side panel , you then have to click the formation tab again to display it???

Yeah this is really really annoying

ok then as im not the only person whos noticed this then i assume its a bug?

I've not played that much so far, but my initial impressions are as follows:

The Good

- The match engine is even better then FM10's. And feels more like watching a real football match then ever. There are still some weaknesses, like players going in two footed on another player when the ball is high in the air and players do still seem a bit too willing to shoot from distance when there are better options but all in all, it's a definite improvement on last years ME. The new animations and improved outside stadiums graphics also help add to the feel.

- I like the idea of the new Match Preperation feature and am pleased we can get our team to practice three different formations.

- The criteria for squad registration is explaind much better then in previous versions.

- Real time negotiations are much better and more realistic then the old method of offering a contract and waiting to see what would happen next.

- Two seperate training areas for goalies makes it easier to target the attributes that you feel are in need of improving.

- Having both news section combined again is better.

- I like the fact that the side of of field the central players play in is shown, eg, D CR, D CL.

The Bad

- The widgets in TV view need to be more transparent or at least re-sizeable. They take up a large section of the screen and block a lot of what's going on.

- When trying to assign training schedules in the Schedules section of Training, it becomes frustrating that the list of players scrolls back to the top after assigning a schedule.

- Player/Board conversations are too basic and feel broken. When requesting a feeder club, the board blocked my request for a financial link. I went straight back in, used the same options and the request was accepted. They shouldn't change their mind within five seconds like that.

- The bottom of the screen in the news section is wasted by having the inbox on the left and the article top middle. It did look better before.

- In the match analysis screen, the player discs are too small making it hard to tell which player is which when looking at the entire team.

- The home page has far too little info present. We should be able to get rid of the inbox if we choose and adjust the size of boxes so we can fit more/less if we wish. I don't even see the need for the inbox on this screen.

- I don't see the need for the change in the way the line-up is displayed in the squad screen, IE, D R, D CR, D CL, DL. And there is inconsistency in how this is displayed as it still appears in the old method of DR, DL, D CR, D CL in the Oppositional Instructions screen. This is a moot point though and of no real importance.

The Ugly

- The new skin is horrible. Hopefully the skin released with the patch will be better.

All in all, I'm really enjoying the demo so far and feel this is going to become my favourite FM yet, but there are some niggling issues that can't be ignored.

First impressions:

Its crashed both times I've played the demo, one was a "parsing error" and I've also had the screen freeze and get stretched/distorted so the picture looked like the graphics on a NES emulator.

The inbox screen layout has changed for the worse - the Next Unread button which was small and poorly placed in FM10 is now an even smaller arrow that is on the opposite side of the screen to the Continue button or the Tabs that appear when there is news to action (e.g. Accept/Reject Offer etc). These Tabs and the Continue are in opposite corners on the same side of the screen. You can't easily just click up on each news item as for longer news items you can easily miss the blank space and end up clicking a hotlink to a player or team profile. So you're constantly moving the mouse back and forwards up and down just to read your news. Better would be to have the Next Unread at the bottom of the screen in the middle, so its close to the Action Tabs but you couldn't press it by mistake. (Having moaned about this there's probably hot keys, but still I like my left hand free to do other things).

The depth of conversation (as has already been mentioned by others) isn't very challenging or necessarily constructive. I've got a feeling that again it will be better just to leave a player with a problem until they get over it naturally rather than try and resolve it and make it worse.

However the speed with which all interactions now take place is a great improvement. Not really a game changing innovation but definitely more realistic and less frustrating. On a similar note, how about also changing the Delay Transfer option - currently you don't have enough cash so it can delay for 7 days, if you have the cash within 1 day you still have to wait the other 6 days - can't this be changed so that when the cash is available sooner you can confirm earrlier via the Transfer Centre or Player Profile screens?

I haven't see enough of the press conference/media improvements but so far the same problems exist - for example, playing as Forest, asked about Cardiff's promotion chances, answering with "I have nothing to say about Cardiff, I just want to concentrate on my own team" the next question was about my thoughts on Leicester's promotion chances. Possibly too early to judge but I've not really seen any new questions (but then I can't get past the first three games of the season because it crashes.)

Match Speed has been slowed down - maybe its me but I'm playing on the fastest setting and it seems only slightly above pedestrian pace.

Too many yellow and red cards. I've had two red cards in two pre season games against poorer quality opposition - both defenders with tackling set to medium.

Haven't played with the new training yet, one for tomorrow.

In summary, without meaning to sound overly critical, so far I haven't seen any reason to part with £25, especially if the full version is as unstable as the demo. Hopefully the new features will reveal their depth as the season progresses but so far it doesn't feel like as big a step forward as FM10 was from 09, more like an update.

i'll add another 'so its not just me' to this.

has anyone put it in the bugs forum then?? i just assumed i was being ********

*edit* what a ridiculous world i live in, where that world is censored...

Stadiums are great, the starting credits look great, some nice new lay outs, however i dont like white and never will. im more of a dark skin fan ;) great stadiums and graphics... oh and James Milner is not 5 9 he's more 6 ft easy. he's as tall as gerrard. to me he's the new gerrard

Okay, I really hate the fact that I'm coming in with some negatives as well, despite the fact that I'm loving the game and the new ME... but, here it goes:

--I'm playing as Man City, Santa Cruz is upset because he's not getting any first team football.. There was no option for me to tell him that I'm actually thinking about giving him a chance to prove himself real soon? o_O (Even after I made him available for the first team)

--Bullet like low/average height crosses.. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the fact that they are more common on FM11 than FM10, but my players pull it off VERY often! I didn't score a single header in 7 games, even though I used the likes of Adebayor, Lescott and Santa Cruz

--Manager Interaction, another option that I think has REALLY improved with all the options of statements the player is now given. However, one thing that will keep me from using it is: commenting on a manager's signing, wouldn't it be helpful if the player we wanted to comment on would appear on the right column? I found myself having to browse all the way to the Middlesbrough squad to find out what was the 'appropriate' comment to make. Moreover, the 'Back' button doesn't seem to lead back to the conversation window, which makes this option more annoying than it is enjoyable..

@Romanista: You're complaining because your players are NOT getting injured? :p Consider yourself lucky, I have 6 players that are injured (4 on long-term injuries)!

EDIT: Oh, and my manager picture disappeared, for some strange reason... o_O

oh and James Milner is not 5 9 he's more 6 ft easy. he's as tall as gerrard. to me he's the new gerrard

According to Wiki he is 5' date=' 9.

Full name James Philip Milner

Date of birth 4 January 1986 (age 24)

Place of birth Wortley, Leeds[1], England

Height 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)

Playing position Midfielder

I agree someone like coentrao would cost 2 to 3 times what he costs in the demo. However with someone like Fellaini maybe that was just a result of the market back then, plus him being tuted as the next big thing.. Its soem seasons away, and now maybe hes true valkue is more evident.

Its a hard line trying to find the right prices, but will have to see how it reacts in the full game.

if he was in the last year of his contract fine, but he has a contract till 2013 and everton would never sell him for anything less than what they bought for.

@Romanista: You're complaining because your players are NOT getting injured? :p Consider yourself lucky, I have 6 players that are injured (4 on long-term injuries)!

yeah one of my players just got injured for six weeks, i just found it weird since in 10 i always had at least 2-3 injuries. and Cameron Jerome just did a maradona dribbling two defenders and the goalie. i literally LOLed for a few minutes.

Coming back to FM after giving 09 and 10 a miss.

My first impressions are generally positive.

I don't like the new look much and find it a little hard to navigate but I'm sure I could get used to it or change skin.

Really happy with the new training features. Team training is long overdue.

Happy to see it running at an acceptable speed on my ageing PC.

The matches look great and I haven't seen anything to worry about In my first three fixtures.

What stopped me buying the last two was the long term game deteriorating because of poor newgen generation. So I'm eagerly looking forward to this version which lists a newgen revamp as a main feature. It's a shame we cant test that in the demo.

There are now many options when talking to players, staff and the media which is good. But I worry that over the course of a career things could start to get repetitive.

Technical issues: I have no sound

Parts of the stadium and the goal posts are flashing. disappearing and then reappearing.

well i have gone back to 2010 till the release date the demo is cracking me up i love all the new features, but you realise how naked the game feels with out all your custom graphics i have put all my logos and kits on but i really need some good skins,

just who at sports interactive thought the bright white skin was ok needs locking in a broom cupboard in the SI building,:thdn:

i would also like to say what a good job you guys have done with the kits on the 3d match engine you can really see them clearly, in 2010 you could not see the kits that good:thup:

Sorry! I just put a post up and now I've realised it was in the wrong place, it should have been in this thread so here goes again.......

Well I've never been a massive fan of FM to be honest and so far I've not seen very much in the demo to convince me that FM2011 has improved very much on 2010. OK, I know it's only a demo yet but so far all I see is the same old messy user interface, still full of pointless rubbish that has nothing to do with my team, it still takes you hours to find your way to where you want to go, there are still way too many pointless mouse clicks to find stuff you want to find and basically I'd say the UI is still over complicated, why didn't they just make a simple version with just the basic stuff on it that you need to run your team? A bit like the CM one would have been much better and easier on the eye.... I still hate this part of the game!

Once you've bumbled around the UI enough to get to start playing a match FM still hasn't improved as much as the appearance of it would suggest. First of all, the football is far too small and from some parts of the pitch it looks like they're kicking a tennis ball around. There are still far too many fouls, yellow cards and still a stupid amount of throw in's. Another thing is that, no matter what instructions you give out it still doesn't appear to have any effect on the style of how the match plays out, i.e..... No matter what I tell my centre midfielder to do he still carries on doing exactly what he was doing from the start.

Apart from looking graphically much better and the match engine runs much nicer too.... I'm sorry but I'm still not over impressed with this game, maybe the full version will be better but with only a few days to go to the release, I can't see there being much difference.

Jon T.

can anyone help me put this to work?

in game preparation, you can select to focus on a certain area, but the item i choose doesn't sticks, i select one, i move to another window, when i get to that screen again, my selection isn't there, shouldn't it be an OK button to lock my selection?

thanks

can anyone help me put this to work?

in game preparation, you can select to focus on a certain area, but the item i choose doesn't sticks, i select one, i move to another window, when i get to that screen again, my selection isn't there, shouldn't it be an OK button to lock my selection?

thanks

In your team settings, untick assistant manager cotrols pre-match preperations and your selections should stay.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit. Fullscreen, and I have just seen it happen when tabbing out during the match, and it sems to only be when preparing for or during a match. I'm using an ATI HD4870, I'll try updating the drivers and see what happens.

Same problem here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/230810-Football-manager-2011-demo-11.o.of152451-has-stopped-working

A few people have mentioned it now, any feedback on how to solve this yet?

ok, on the subject of player conversations [which i dont think are too bad btw] i have a bit of a problem

Kuyt has an issue, in that he is worried by the lack of discipline, and i get a news item telling me so, so we have a chat.

i tell him we should both get on with our jobs, he says he's over reacted. job done. or so i think...

3 days later he's still concerned, so i have another chat, and repeat all the same options. he says he's over reacted. job done. or so i think...

next day he's no longer concerned by the lack of discipline, and he feels we have a good relationship, however now he is considering his options :(

I had a similar issue with one of my players as a follow on to the intra-club friendly/reserve issue that we both mentioned earlier.

Conversation went as follows:

KK: I'm not happy at being dropped to the reserves and the media have been made aware of my feelings.

Me: If you don't drop this issue I'll have no choice but to put you on the transfer list.

KK: I don't want to leave the club and I'll drop the issue.

He immediately leaves the conversation and asks to be transfer listed! Maybe SI have intended for that to happen but given that my relationship with the player wasn't great, there would be no real reason for him to lie to me about not wanting to leave.

First impressions:

The depth of conversation (as has already been mentioned by others) isn't very challenging or necessarily constructive. I've got a feeling that again it will be better just to leave a player with a problem until they get over it naturally rather than try and resolve it and make it worse.

However the speed with which all interactions now take place is a great improvement. Not really a game changing innovation but definitely more realistic and less frustrating.

I'd agree that there are positives and negatives to the conversations. As you say, a lot of the manager options are at best confrontational and at worst damaging. There aren't enough options which basically say "This is why I did x, y, z", instead your option is "I am the manager and what I say goes" or "You're showing me a complete lack of respect".

Having said that, I did have a couple of players who's happiness improved after I said "I'm sorry it won't happen again", but again that's not really what I wanted to say, it was just the best option. There needs to be more understanding and less confrontatino or submission.

Aye, this is annoying when making subs etc.

Other than man utd 3rd kit being wrong the game is pretty decent.

Wrong mate!.. i've already found other kits that aren't correct...i.e. Crewe Alexandra away is not all White, it has orange shorts, there are others too but i didn't make a note of them with it only being a demo.

Archived