OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Sorry for not responding about this Bale comments on his flair, I've been at the San Siro watching Tottenham. As for Bale's flair, I would not say he is a paticularly flair type player. He's not the sort of player to do number of step-overs, little flicks. It could possibly be slightly up from 9 but his game is not about flair. He is about dribbling, crossing and acceleration. Also in regards to a comment about research being out of date with Palacios and Keane being best rated players for their positions, this is not the case.

Ok, overall, I'm impressed with the demo.

I have only one huge disappointment. The "set piece creator". It' nothing but a graphical representation of the old system. And a poor one at that. It adds nothing new at all. In fact it even takes away some options. For example, only one player can be placed at each position. Whereas on Fm10, certainly two , (perhaps more, I've never tried) could be placed in each position, certainly on corners.

I also would have liked to see several variable set-ups be created for use at various times during the game, depending on the score. i.e. needing an equaliser, holding on to a lead etc...

Its probably too late for it to be corrected, but I was hoping and expecting something new and exciting. All we got was a cosmetic makeover.

P.S.- also the problem regarding the widgets in annoying, but I do read that is on the to-do list.

Overall the game is an excellent and certainly an improvement on FM10, the match graphics and chatting with players is certianly a highlight.

The cons to the game as I have seen are

Strange International call ups; In Capellos first England squad Curtis Davies and Danny Murphy were called up. I presume this is due to them being over-rated by the researchers. Danny Murphys stats in particular look on the high side.

Strange wage demands. Paul Scholes and Edwin Van der Sar, asked for 20k a week pay rises, at there age I'm quite sure they wouldnt be looking for increases in pay, more likely they are looking for stability, as they wouldnt get large contracts elsewhere.

I also agree that Chelsea seem to sign a ridiculous amount of players.

All in all I think this a fantasic game and has got me re-engaged again, I got to the stage with with FM10 that I was starting up a new game and turning it off after 20 mins. The addition of the new features such as agents is great and gives it a more realistic feel. Along with that the game seems a bit more challanging as Im paying more attention to my tactics especially with match prep feature. the game seems to run a hell of a lot smoother and not as robotic as well. Great work SI!

Roll on 5th November, gives me 2 weeks to think of arguements to come up with for my girlfriend so I get football manager time!

Vanilla version now available. Woohoo!!

Already downloading.

What size is the Vanilla version? I have the Strawberry version at home on my PC, but I'm planning on getting the Vanilla onto my laptop if it's not too huge (I'll have to download it via a 3G dongle, you see...)

Sorry for not responding about this Bale comments on his flair, I've been at the San Siro watching Tottenham. As for Bale's flair, I would not say he is a paticularly flair type player. He's not the sort of player to do number of step-overs, little flicks. It could possibly be slightly up from 9 but his game is not about flair. He is about dribbling, crossing and acceleration. Also in regards to a comment about research being out of date with Palacios and Keane being best rated players for their positions, this is not the case.

Agree with that. Bale has an incredeible to dribble and shoot at high speed, that is a great talent but it isn't flair, speed, determination, dribbling, composure and some fantastic finishing in Milan.

Loving the demo. I've only played 4 friendlies so far so early days but really like the negotiating with agents for transfers, the conversational style where you can sort out a deal in one go and then wait for a decision is so much better and feels much more realistic. Conversations with players are a bit clunky so far but are a movement in the right direction.

Something funny i've noticed.

Tottenham league game, i am 1 - 0 up, Gomes gets sent off, i don't have a keeper on the substitute list. I put Pavlyuchenko in as a keeper. We ultimately lose the game 1 - 2.

Afterwards Pavlyuchenko wants a conversation with me saying how he is unhappy he wasn't played in his natural position. I say i'm the manager and i make the decisions. He gets angry and wants to be transferlisted.

Tottenham league game, i am 1 - 0 up, Gomes gets sent off, i don't have a keeper on the substitute list. I put Pavlyuchenko in as a keeper. We ultimately lose the game 1 - 2.

Afterwards Pavlyuchenko wants a conversation with me saying how he is unhappy he wasn't played in his natural position. I say i'm the manager and i make the decisions. He gets angry and wants to be transferlisted.

What other choices did you have in response to his initial complaint?

What size is the Vanilla version? I have the Strawberry version at home on my PC, but I'm planning on getting the Vanilla onto my laptop if it's not too huge (I'll have to download it via a 3G dongle, you see...)

About 300 MB.

I can see why - what kind of manager doesn't put a sub goalie on the bench! :)

hey,

downloaded the demo and it looks great! the new features really add a new dimension to the game.

just thought i would add a few things that could do with altering on the set piece creator.

1. when you select the set piece taker, i.e. to take the corner, the player is still selectable in the set piece as you can still select from 10 outfield players to move around + the goalkeeper. this could privide problems on the matc engine when you realise your corner taker had a key part in the setup only to be found missing at the corner flag.

2. it is very difficult to swap the players around in the box on the direct free kick. for example i automatically have a 1-3-3 formation in the box and would like to move my weakest header of the ball to the front to harass the keeper, aim my free kick deep and put my tallest players at the far post. however if i try to swap any of those players in the box i cannot, unless i move the one player infront of the keeper somewhere else at which point all of my players in the box move forward 1 spot.

3. i think the throw in set piece is kind of pointless, maybe there should be an option to throw the ball short/deep? so you can move your players to flick the ball on when you are deep in your half or come short when you are attacking? just an idea i suppose but would be nice to hear some feedback on it.

thanks for reading

More first impressions:

- There seem to be more red cards than in FM10

- Positioning seems to be more important this year. I love especially how GK's now sometimes totally stand in the wrong place

- The fans always protest after a corner has been awarded towards the guests

- It may have been mentioned before but what is that youth recruitment thingy?

- I love the new penalty shootout view but it covers the goal when you view the match in split-screen and 2D.

Suggestions:

- I would really like to have my custom views I created for the tactics-screen on the tactics-screen during match and on the team selection-screen as well. ATM we have to costumise our views for each of these screens seperately.

- In FM10 you were taken to the team-selection screen after you received a notification that you can't start the match with the current line-up. I really liked that, please bring it back.

Bugs(?):

- 'Board Request Status' stays emtpy after requests

- After having declined the first-press conference, my profile says 'avoids talking to the press' but in the match-preview I'm still labelled as a 'media-friendly manager'. - Probably because my media status is still too high (50%).

- User's Manager Info: 'Preferred Formation' is incorrect

- My 'Preferred Formation' has now changed. But to a formation I've never used.

• Administrators

Koki, how many matches did you play with 'your' formation - what formation was it?

There's an issue where some formations are described incorrectly (for example a 4-5-1 and a 4-3-3 can be confused - for example a lone target man and two wingers can be interpreted either way). Let me know, thanks.

Default skin is so totally BS, that I may skip this version also.

Start screen, locate Preferences

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1512/12457913.jpg

If you want to read news, do not click news, click more

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4586/40957391.jpg

Why D ©, why not DC?

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5595/44301577.jpg

More unclear letters, thank you?

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3514/44630330.jpg

Less LSD dosage and better skin, please.

Ok, overall, I'm impressed with the demo.

I have only one huge disappointment. The "set piece creator". It' nothing but a graphical representation of the old system. And a poor one at that. It adds nothing new at all. In fact it even takes away some options. For example, only one player can be placed at each position. Whereas on Fm10, certainly two , (perhaps more, I've never tried) could be placed in each position, certainly on corners.

I also would have liked to see several variable set-ups be created for use at various times during the game, depending on the score. i.e. needing an equaliser, holding on to a lead etc...

Its probably too late for it to be corrected, but I was hoping and expecting something new and exciting. All we got was a cosmetic makeover.

P.S.- also the problem regarding the widgets in annoying, but I do read that is on the to-do list.

Have to say I completely agree, was hoping for something similar to CM's set piece creator but it actually turned out to be quite a disappointment. Other than that I'm enjoying the game so far and still discovering new features all the time.

@ Neil: I played the friendly matches and about 2-3 league matches with a 3-5-2 (DC-DC-DC-DM-MC-AML-AMC-AMR-ST-ST) before my preferred formation switched from 4-4-2 (never used that one) to a 5-3-2 (SW-DC-DC-WBL-WBR-DM-MC-MC-ST-ST). Hope it helps :) I would make a screenshot but that doesn't seem to work.

I'd also like to add that the relationsship widget doesn't seem to be working correctly. In both the best opinion and worst opinion box are managers that have a fairly poor opinion of me or feel that the two of us could become friends.

When do things like tactical consistency change, at the end of a season? Because I've had 15 league games and 3 cup matches with the same tactic now and it is still on 50%

I must say I'm enjoying the demo.

It looks like a very good game.

However, I found two bugs.

1 - I'm using the Portuguese language and part of a sentence was mixed with English. So far, the only one I saw was about the next match which was in two days. It should be "o próximo jogo contra o Burnley é daqui a dois dias", but instead it was "o próximo jogo contra o Burnley in two days". It's not a big thing but it could be a problem for someone who doesn't understands English, specially if alters a whole sentence.

2 - This one I have to confirm. I was playing against my reserves, made the subs after the break and when I tried to chance the tactics, the button under my team's name disappeared, meaning I couldn't do nothing about it. As I said, I have to double-check this in my next match but I was wondering if this has happened to others.

Cheers!

Really liking the new game, downloaded the demo from Steam yesterday and been playing it almost non-stop. Few small problems that have already been mentioned are the Formation page will change to Player Instructions after you substitute them or change the team selection around which can get a little annoying after a while but no big deal. Also, the screen that shows the two team line-ups takes a little long to load for some reason the rest of the game is fast, smooth and so far un-problematic just this small bit that slows up. I also don't like the new "have a chat" with the player feature, the conversations are unrealistic, the responses don't seem to match what I've said and they more often than not go away unhappy and wanting to leave. For instance I told Rafael van der Vaart I thought he was playing well, he disagreed and by the end of the conversation he wanted to leave the club!!! :(

I'm playing it on a 2010 Mac Mini if that makes any difference :) But overall, pleased and impressed with the improved graphics and also the game play itself seems to be much improved, long range passing is more realistic as it runs out of play etc. 8/10 from me! :)

Whats the difference between the vanilla version and strawberry versions?

And where can I get them?

The player interaction needs some serious tweaking. Every conversation I have had leads to them wanting to leave the club. Put new features in by all means, just make sure they work first or it just looks like a pointless gimmick that you can stick on the box to sell more copies.

Whats the difference between the vanilla version and strawberry versions?

And where can I get them?

The player interaction needs some serious tweaking. Every conversation I have had leads to them wanting to leave the club. Put new features in by all means, just make sure they work first or it just looks like a pointless gimmick that you can stick on the box to sell more copies.

Am really confused with your post. You ask where to get demo and what's the difference, yet you already give feedback. :S

Anyway, the difference: What’s the difference between the Strawberry and Vanilla Demos?

The Strawberry demo contains all the sounds, player pictures and logos within the game. Because of this additional content the file is larger and will take longer to download. The Vanilla demo is a stripped down version of the game, which runs exactly the same but is just a smaller download file.

Link: http://www.footballmanager.com/demo

I am trying to get my players to want to leave the club by having conversations with them, and to be able to pull that off you need to make some pretty harsh statements. So if every conversation you have makes your players want to leave, the problem lies with your conversational skills, not the game.

Am really confused with your post. You ask where to get demo and what's the difference, yet you already give feedback. :S

Read it again.

I asked what is the difference between vanilla and strawberry versions are.

I do have the demo but I have no idea if I have the vanilla or strawberry version so I wanted to know where I can get both versions as I have only seen one version available (on steam).

It's not really that hard to understand and I'm not really sure why you're confused about it.

Some answers to my questions would be nice though. :thup:

@Bjaart - Well giving my players warnings for two red cards in one game resulted in them wanting to leave, no matter what I said. The two players in question were Glen Johnsen and Simmone Perotta. Now, I'm not sure about Perotta's attitude but I know full well Glen Johnsen is not a problematic player with a bad attitude. I've had a few conversations with a few other players and none of them have ended well.

When you have had conversations with players and it's gone well, have you always been extra nice to them? or have you tried laying down the law?

I must say I'm enjoying the demo.

It looks like a very good game.

However, I found two bugs.

1 - I'm using the Portuguese language and part of a sentence was mixed with English. So far, the only one I saw was about the next match which was in two days. It should be "o próximo jogo contra o Burnley é daqui a dois dias", but instead it was "o próximo jogo contra o Burnley in two days". It's not a big thing but it could be a problem for someone who doesn't understands English, specially if alters a whole sentence.

2 - This one I have to confirm. I was playing against my reserves, made the subs after the break and when I tried to chance the tactics, the button under my team's name disappeared, meaning I couldn't do nothing about it. As I said, I have to double-check this in my next match but I was wondering if this has happened to others.

Cheers!

do you mean something like this?

Managed to lock myself out of my own tactics. Match view buttons were greyed out, the Match Controls -> Tactics button did nothing and the tab was was see-thru.

notactics.png

Happened after I'd been prompted to confirm my changes and pressed cancel, then tried to go back into my tactics

Anyway, the difference: What’s the difference between the Strawberry and Vanilla Demos?

The Strawberry demo contains all the sounds, player pictures and logos within the game. Because of this additional content the file is larger and will take longer to download. The Vanilla demo is a stripped down version of the game, which runs exactly the same but is just a smaller download file.

Link: http://www.footballmanager.com/demo

Thank you.

Oh dear, I've had a complete and total Hodgson at Liverpool so far. Lost my first three games to Wolves, young boys and Blackpool, and not to mention three players wanting to leave already which tells me that this years FM11 players are a little bit over sensitive when you have conversations with them.

Anybody else started a game with LFC? It seems really difficult, you start with 0 funds and it seems really hard to sell players. I ended up having to sell Babel for one million (purely just experimental of course).

Everyone still trying to sell Rooney then yeah? ;)

Started a game on the demo last night but think I'll go back to 10 until the full game comes out. Can never get into demos as I know I can't continue past 6 months. Looks really good though. I really like the idea of match preparation, could be very useful. Like the new contract negotiations too, just hope the agents thing doesn't become too repetitive or easy to manipulate. Overall very impressed so far :thup:

Oh dear, I've had a complete and total Hodgson at Liverpool so far. Lost my first three games to Wolves, young boys and Blackpool, and not to mention three players wanting to leave already which tells me that this years FM11 players are a little bit over sensitive when you have conversations with them.

Anybody else started a game with LFC? It seems really difficult, you start with 0 funds and it seems really hard to sell players. I ended up having to sell Babel for one million (purely just experimental of course).

I also started a LFC game and i am having a nice start, with 6 league games played won 5 and 1 draw with goals: 15-4. In europe i have won 2 games and the sole game in the cup.

I only loaned in 3 players; Maxwell, Hugo Almeida and Wijnaldum and sold Kuyt.

But on the other hand i like the Demo much and cant wait for the real deal to come out.

I don't know if it's a bug or something but..something that's very frustrating to me is the ''one on one'' situations during the game..

every game I have like...3-4 1 on 1(striker with a goalkeeper)and it never goes in(btw..no defender in sight..just a striker and a goalkeeper)..

and I have strikers like Tevez,Neymar,Adebayor etc.

it's kind of annoyning how it never goes in..

Archived