Digital downloads now available (PC & Mac WSM and Fútbol Manager)

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bolung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fercecy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bolung:

I would like to know too! coz I wanna be able to play it when I'm at home, or on my laptop when I'm traveling as well as when I have free time at work using my work PC.

They have already explained that you can activate the game in 2 different machines. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that part. However, is the change just like one click to deactivate on PC "A" and then another click on PC "B" to activate my license? Coz I wanna do it on 3 PCs instead of 2.

Thanks for ur reply! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark already said that nope.

You have only "2 activation slots", when you have used them both, to free one of them you need to call Direct2Drive or Boonty (depending on where you bought it) to free the "old slot".

So, basically, you can have FM in more than 2 PCs at the same time. icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff
Originally posted by musint:

Any chance the beta patch will get through for digital download sooneR?!

If I'm honest, probably not. We need to lock the code down to build the relevant source control trees. I can tell you though that the final patch release will go to everyone on the same day.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by bolung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz of the Boro:

Is it possible once the game is downloaded to burn onto a cd or is there some kind of lock on it?

I would like to know too! coz I wanna be able to play it when I'm at home, or on my laptop when I'm traveling as well as when I have free time at work using my work PC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, you can burn it to a disk and install it on 2/3 machines (depending on the partner you used)

Originally posted by Marc Duffy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bolung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz of the Boro:

Is it possible once the game is downloaded to burn onto a cd or is there some kind of lock on it?

I would like to know too! coz I wanna be able to play it when I'm at home, or on my laptop when I'm traveling as well as when I have free time at work using my work PC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, you can burn it to a disk and install it on 2/3 machines (depending on the partner you used) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, in the faq on the first page you say that the gae can be activated on 2 machines using Boonty... does that mean that we get 3 activations fron Direct2Drive.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by musint:

Any chance the beta patch will get through for digital download sooneR?!

If I'm honest, probably not. We need to lock the code down to build the relevant source control trees. I can tell you though that the final patch release will go to everyone on the same day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

• SI Staff
Originally posted by thelaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Duffy:

yeah, you can burn it to a disk and install it on 2/3 machines (depending on the partner you used) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, in the faq on the first page you say that the gae can be activated on 2 machines using Boonty... does that mean that we get 3 activations fron Direct2Drive.

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe this is the case. 2 is 100% for sure with both of them but D2D I think have 3.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by cipriang80:

Are there any significant diferences beetwen FM 2008 and WWSM 2008?

Branding (in FM you run fm.exe and in wwsm you run wwsm.exe)

Available languages - Varies from SKU to SKU

That is it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thelaw:

Thanks.

I believe this is the case. 2 is 100% for sure with both of them but D2D I think have 3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx Marc! I will go for D2D then~

Maybe is my awful english or maybe not but i can't understand the "2 installation".

I will use the DD to download futbol manager, i have only a machine, will i to install the game 3948934 times in that only pc?

¿Can i burn the game to a cd and use it forever?

Originally posted by Antigol:

Maybe is my awful english or maybe not but i can't understand the "2 installation".

I will use the DD to download futbol manager, i have only a machine, will i to install the game 3948934 times in that only pc?

¿Can i burn the game to a cd and use it forever?

You'll only be able to install the game 2 (or 3) times on that computer. After that point you'll need to contact support and convince them to let you play your game some more. It's very crappy technology considering eLicense allows you to activate/deactivate your licenses as much as you want, hence allowing you multiple installs.

Thanks sovstar, then

if i format my pc two times, i will not be able to install the game in my third windows installation??

Perhaps a 3rd time. But beyond that you will have to ask support for another activation.

When's someone going to get around to posting notice of the Mac version being available in the post on the front page? I'm sure not everyone knows to check the forums, and there's probably people waiting for it who don't know it's been up for a couple days.

• SI Staff

Thanks sovstar, then

if i format my pc two times, i will not be able to install the game in my third windows installation??

You will, but you'll need to contact the support team of the company you bought the game of. Boonty or D2D

Originally posted by OneEyedJack:

Has anyone got the Mac version to work, I downloaded it and installed it but when I go to launch it I am getting the spinning soccer ball of death and a black screen. It's just not loading. And the ball is spinning really slowly. Comments?

Click the blue/gray finder face icon in the bottom left. Click the house on the left hand side (if there isn't a house showing, click Go up at the top then Home).

Double click the Library folder

Grab the Caches folder and drag it to the trash.

Click on your hard-drive on the left hand-side of the screen (probably called Macintosh HD), double click library then grab caches and drag it to trash (it'll ask for a password). If your Hard drive doesn't show on the left click Go at the top then computer then double click your hard drive.

Click Go at the top of the screen then click Utilities. Double-click Disk Utility. Click your hard-drive (probably called Macintosh HD) then click (once) on repair disk permissions. When that's done, quit disk utility and shut down the computer.

Locate the Apple key, Option key, P key and R key. Turn it on and hold down those 4 keys until you hear the startup chime 3 times then let them go. Once it boots up empty the trash.

If you have an older mac (G5, G4, G3)... The next step won't work on an Intel Mac

locate the Apple key, Option key, O key and F key. Turn it on and hold down those 4 keys until you get to an all-text screen then let them go. Type in the following commands (no spaces in any of them)

set-defaults

reset-nvram

reset-all

Once it starts up empty the trash.

And finally, if you want to check your Operating System... there's 2 ways to do that. (Both of them work on Intel or G5, G4, G3).

a) if you have the discs:

Put install disc 1 in the computer. Shut the computer down. When you turn the computer on (as soon as you can after releasing the power button), hold down the letter C until you see the grey apple with the spinning gear underneath.

You'll get to a screen that says "choose english as the main language". Continue to the next screen and look at the very top of your screen. Click Utilities (next to Finder) then click Disk Utility. (If you don't see Utilities, try clicking Installer then Disk Utility). Click your hard drive then click Repair Disk. Do NOT do repair disk permissions from the disk!

Once that's done, click Disk Utility, quit. Then click Installer, Quit Installer then Restart.

b) if you don't have the discs:

Get the computer to shut down. When you turn it on, hold down the apple key and the letter S. When you get to an all-text screen release the keys. Type in

/sbin/fsck -fy

(please notice the space between k and -)

That will check your operating system. You're going to get one of 3 things

i) the volume <name> appears to be okay (congrats you're good to go!)

ii) one HFS volume repaired (press the up arrow and run the command again, it fixed something).

iii) the underlying task reported failure on exit (your HFS volume is pooched, you'll likely need to do erase & install or use a program like Disk Warrior).

iv) One HFS volume repaired, one volume could not be repaired (same as iii)

Once it's all done, hold the power button for 5 seconds to get it to shut down then turn it on normally.

Then try it again icon_smile.gif

I just downloaded Worldwide Soccer from D2D.. In the past when using D2D for other games i have had problems with patches... meaning I have to find the patch on D2D for it to work with game.

Is the newest patch on D2D?

In the past I have ordered FM (I live in the US )from UK . It is great to see that there a digital download option for North America . Is WSM the same exact game as FM (same leagues ;options etc) just different title?

Is the support the same with patches ?

Will I be able to download skins ,backgrounds etc for WSM the same way as FM? These usually are specifficaly made for FM bu I wonder if they would work the same . Great job SI on promoting the game worldwide on the best footie manager .

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Romulan:

I just downloaded Worldwide Soccer from D2D.. In the past when using D2D for other games i have had problems with patches... meaning I have to find the patch on D2D for it to work with game.

Is the newest patch on D2D?

The newest patch is just a beta and only available on FM. Once it's fully released it'll be available for WWSM and Futbol Manager and on D2D

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Seful:

In the past I have ordered FM (I live in the US )from UK . It is great to see that there a digital download option for North America . Is WSM the same exact game as FM (same leagues ;options etc) just different title?

Is the support the same with patches ?

Will I be able to download skins ,backgrounds etc for WSM the same way as FM? These usually are specifficaly made for FM bu I wonder if they would work the same . Great job SI on promoting the game worldwide on the best footie manager .

Same game, slightly different name.

Patches get released for WWSM around the same time as for FM and yes all game content works across all games

Will it be possible to buy the game as a digital download in Norway at some point, despite the fact that it's in the stores?

I'd prefer to just download it. I don't need the packaging, I've never used the manual, so it seems wasteful for someone like me to buy it with all that packaging.

If you tell me no, Al Gore will come and get you. icon_smile.gif

oh!, then, just a quick question... If i used D2D it is 2 or 3? icon_smile.gif

Release date in Czech republic seems to be postponed again and again... It was supposed to be on 25th october, then 1st November, and just today I found out that the game will be released on 9th November. Anyone of SI knows why?

I'm slowly starting to turn my hopes to the digital download version.

Originally posted by Stian1234:

Is there no way I can purchase this game digitally? In this day and age...

There ought to be worldwide downloads available on the release date. Best way of combating piracy is to pamper your customers. icon_wink.gif

I'm sure a digital download might be worth more profit than regular gamers. From what I've read steam takes half the money for gamers on it's service, and that might mean more money for sega as they are only paying for steam, not for productions, manuals, transport, packaging, and then wholesale and retail mark-ups.

If I was running Sega (assuming you make more money from Steam), I'd have the Digital Download version out on Steam, a week before the release date.

If it's close enough to not be that much difference, then release on Steam the same day it releases in the UK.

If the difference is somewhat big, then wait a month. Most people who have bought it would have done it already, and with DD/Steam you might reach people you never would have reached via retail.

Oh, and get rid of this "World Wide Soccer Manager" malarkey. Especially if it prevents patches and whatnot from being used without extra mucking around.

EA don't change FIFA 08 from FIFA to "FISA 08".

If the language used in the install is Spanish, then put up a "Futbol Manager" screen when you start. Don't change the exe file names or anything.

From my simple observations, it appears that Sega makes more work than is necessary with regards to branding and direct downloads.

ATTENTION:

For those who are thinking about going for digital download (as I did last week almost instantly after it became available which I now regret icon_frown.gif), keep in mind, apparently FMM (real-time editor many people use) which we were under the assumption that would work, WONT!!! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

HORRIBLE NEWS for anyone like me who wants to do even minimal editing once the game has already started and you notice some very wrong stuff in database which you feel the need to correct to properly enjoy the game as you don't want to start a NEW one with a new edited database.

Read THIS!!

OOTP is available on DD all round the world, and none of my local shops stock FM08 and I don't want to traipse 20 odd miles to the nearest place that does. I live in the UK, had no trouble downloading the 500Mb demo so the actual game shouldn't cause too much difficulty.

Is there any chance at all of it being available to download over here in the home of Football?

• SI Staff
Originally posted by PLF:

ATTENTION:

For those who are thinking about going for digital download (as I did last week almost instantly after it became available which I now regret icon_frown.gif), keep in mind, apparently FMM (real-time editor many people use) which we were under the assumption that would work, WONT!!! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

HORRIBLE NEWS for anyone like me who wants to do even minimal editing once the game has already started and you notice some very wrong stuff in database which you feel the need to correct to properly enjoy the game as you don't want to start a NEW one with a new edited database.

Read THIS!!

ATTENTION

3rd party software not working with the variances of the game isn't our fault. Simply contact the makers and ask them to recognise WWSM in a future release.

All supported products work as far as I am aware

• SI Staff
Originally posted by KurtBevacqua:

I am a US servicemen deployed to Eastern Europe. From the download options I see my current IP address will not work for me to purchase the game and I have no access to a store carrying the game. Am I just SOL here?

Saw your post today at FOF. Left instructions there for you - I hope I can help.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by davidbowie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stian1234:

Is there no way I can purchase this game digitally? In this day and age...

There ought to be worldwide downloads available on the release date. Best way of combating piracy is to pamper your customers. icon_wink.gif

I'm sure a digital download might be worth more profit than regular gamers. From what I've read steam takes half the money for gamers on it's service, and that might mean more money for sega as they are only paying for steam, not for productions, manuals, transport, packaging, and then wholesale and retail mark-ups.

If I was running Sega (assuming you make more money from Steam), I'd have the Digital Download version out on Steam, a week before the release date.

If it's close enough to not be that much difference, then release on Steam the same day it releases in the UK.

If the difference is somewhat big, then wait a month. Most people who have bought it would have done it already, and with DD/Steam you might reach people you never would have reached via retail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But in doing this, you'd instantly annoy the retailers by releasing a game digitally before they had a chance to sell it.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by davidbowie:

Oh, and get rid of this "World Wide Soccer Manager" malarkey. Especially if it prevents patches and whatnot from being used without extra mucking around.

EA don't change FIFA 08 from FIFA to "FISA 08".

If the language used in the install is Spanish, then put up a "Futbol Manager" screen when you start. Don't change the exe file names or anything.

From my simple observations, it appears that Sega makes more work than is necessary with regards to branding and direct downloads.

Think about it, you cannot compare FIFA to Football Manager. FIFA is a universal term Football, although universal means different things in different countries. That is why we created WWSM.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by scrapyard:

all i want is to buy fm 2008 via a download not bloody WWS manager 2008????lol

You will be able to for the first time ever after 8.0.1 is released

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scrapyard:

all i want is to buy fm 2008 via a download not bloody WWS manager 2008????lol

You will be able to for the first time ever after 8.0.1 is released </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is when?!?! icon_wink.gif

Archived