Digital downloads now available (PC & Mac WSM and Fútbol Manager)

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IT'S THERE!!!!!!!!

Great to know that I'm not the only female coach around...

Thank you Neil for YOUR patience!

Have fun (Yankee-ram especially icon_smile.gif )

Originally posted by Oakland:

Hi guys,

just a few words from a Mac-female-user (am I the only woman here?)

First of all, thanks a lot to Mike and Neil who are losing their time with us poor addicted...

And a question: would it be thinkable in the future to have the possibility to specify the player's gender, and maybe to have the pronouns, etc, changing accordingly?

Take care guys (and girls),

S.

No problem at all.

Onto your question, yes, it's something we would like to address in the future although it's actually not as easy to do as it sounds.

To put it bluntly, we were a little on the naive side with how we went about implementing text and translations all those years ago in what has now become "Football Manager".

We've made great strides since then of course and continue to improve this side of things, particularly for when we translate the game into other languages which also have gender based arguments.

The game though has literally thousands of lines of text and they are all split up into little chunks of text and code and then concatenated together, which is where it becomes difficult as you have to get lots of "logic" right to make sure the text knows what context its in.

I hope that made some sense, but it's on our agenda definitely!

I download the boonty version of Fútbol Manager, i´m in Brasil. When the download finish, I click on exe file. About 3 minutes later, I choose the language (english, Français and Spanish), but then, the install dont start. What´s wrong??? Please, help me....

I download the boonty version of Fútbol Manager, i´m in Brasil. When the download finish, I click on exe file. About 3 minutes later, I choose the language (english, Français and Spanish), but then, the install dont start. What´s wrong??? Please, help me....

Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

had to pay via PayPal because I couldn't change the expiration date on my Visa.

no worries, let's play.

If anyone else has this issue, just select the expiration fields and type the numbers. For some reason the eSellerate mac client wont allow you to actually select from the pull down list.

Damn, not sure why that would be for you OneEyedJack.

It might be worth clearing your preferences. I think you can find them here (sorry on the PC at the moment, so this is off the top of my head).

You should probably trash the "Sports Interactive" folder here to see if that helps:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Sports Interactive/

The expiry date issue, thanks for raising that. I'll talk to the team tomorrow to see if there's anything we can do.

I got the Mac version working....only odd thing I have is that I get no input from the keyboard. I'll reboot at some point and see if it fixes it.

Otherwise it makes entering your name a little trickier than it needs to be. Managed to circumvent that...game seems to be fine otherwise

musint-the beta patch is for boxed versions of FM. You have the Digital Download which will take a different patch. The patches are not compatable.

Reinstall your game and wait until early next week for correct beta patch.

Originally posted by musint:

My Digital Download for Fm2008 played fine before the beta patch. After the beta patch, I NOW CAN NOT PLAY IT BECAUSE I NEED THE CD?? WTF

Unless your Digital Download came boxed in some way, I think you might have made a mistake.

"

There will be many different versions of the "beta" patch available for the different variations of the game. As these become available, the game name will be in bold lettering.

Football Manager 2008 PC boxed - http://download.sega.com/u/fm2008_patch/fm2008_801_betapatch.exe

Football Manager 2008 Mac boxed - http://download.sega.com/u/fm2008_patch/fm2008_801_betapatch.dmg

WWSM 2008 PC boxed - coming soon (likely early next week)

WWSM 2008 Mac boxed - coming soon (likely early next week)

WWSM 2008 Digital Download - coming soon (likely early next week)

Futbol Manager 2008 Digital Download - coming soon (likely early next week)

The reason for them being available at different times is that the different versions all need different installers, which take quite a bit of time to build, and also need to be tested (the installer) before we can make them live. We appreciate your patience during this time, and they will all go live as soon as we can get them done.

"

I think it wasn't the best of ideas to release this test beta patch, it just confuses people with all the versions and there will always be complainers '...and yet another download! come on SI get it straight... bla bla'

Does anybody know the size of the file you download from Direct2Drive ?

The other site Boonty had a 5Mb downloader and then apparently the game was downloaded after payment.

This, Direct2Drive just started downloading something after payment and there's no indication of what is it.

Just curious - are there going to be any more PC download options available for WWSM in the coming days?

The only reason I ask this is because my only payment option is PayPal (no credit card), and it seems that both Boonty and D2D don't support it. (I thought Boonty *did* based on their website, but the payment page for WWSM doesn't have that option surprisingly.)

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Mercurial23:

How many systems can I put this on?

2/3 as standard (depending on the provider)

if you ever have any problems (if you say reinstall your machine) contact me

• SI Staff
Originally posted by _Chief_:

Does anybody know the size of the file you download from Direct2Drive ?

The other site Boonty had a 5Mb downloader and then apparently the game was downloaded after payment.

This, Direct2Drive just started downloading something after payment and there's no indication of what is it.

With Boonty you download their installer app (5mb) which downloads the game

With D2D you download the full game in one and activate

Originally posted by wahoo05:

Thanks so much for getting Direct 2 Drive up and running!! I was in contact with the Boonty tech support people, but was still having lots of problems getting it to work. Direct 2 Drive was simple and worked right away!! Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

Same here, in just one try.

Originally posted by Neil Dejyothin:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vikeologist:

Have been trying to download Futbol Manager from Boonty since yesterday, but keep getting the (common to many users on this forum) message that the transaction has failed. Boonty support replied to say that my bank turned down the transaction, but my bank haven't done anything. So, I eagerly awaited Direct to Drive, who have futbol manager available for download, albeit only for people in South America. However my order gets blocked because of country location restrictions. Presumably those retrictions are because I am in South America. I've checked my IP address, and it is correctly locating where I am. This is kind of like the episode of a certain programme (that may not have been shown yet so I won't give a spoiler) where a character's love for a woman is killed off when she deliberately makes herself smell before having sex with him badly. This is how I am beginning to feel about Football Manager.

Guess what, Direct2Drive have fixed this for you now. Go get it quick! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, i have just sent you an email Marc about this... to see what I should do... icon_biggrin.gif

Well, i have sent an email to Marc but it looks like he is offline... icon_frown.gif

SO, i will post it here to see if someone can help me...

The last 2 days i have been trying to buy the game through Boonty and i got the error that was described previously (in the third page, after completing the form i get the message "there was an error... ").

So, i came here today to see if there was a solution... and i found this:

Originally posted by vikeologist:

Have been trying to download Futbol Manager from Boonty since yesterday, but keep getting the (common to many users on this forum) message that the transaction has failed. Boonty support replied to say that my bank turned down the transaction, but my bank haven't done anything. So, I eagerly awaited Direct to Drive, who have futbol manager available for download, albeit only for people in South America. However my order gets blocked because of country location restrictions. Presumably those retrictions are because I am in South America. I've checked my IP address, and it is correctly locating where I am. This is kind of like the episode of a certain programme (that may not have been shown yet so I won't give a spoiler) where a character's love for a woman is killed off when she deliberately makes herself smell before having sex with him badly. This is how I am beginning to feel about Football Manager.

He describes the same problem that i have with Boonty. icon_frown.gif

And Neil Dejyothin replied:

I'm sorry to hear that and it's unusual, because Fútbol Manager should only be available to your territory.

I've fired off an email to the guys over at Direct2Drive, so if they come back to me I'll let you know as soon as I can.

and some minutes later, Neil replied again:

Guess what, Direct2Drive have fixed this for you now. Go get it quick!

So, it is safe to go and try Direct2Drive? or shall i wait to see what happened with my order on Boonty? (i am specially worried about the credit card, obviously icon_wink.gif )

Thank you very much.

Originally posted by lmatt69:

I got the Mac version working....only odd thing I have is that I get no input from the keyboard. I'll reboot at some point and see if it fixes it.

Otherwise it makes entering your name a little trickier than it needs to be. Managed to circumvent that...game seems to be fine otherwise

I had the same problem, so I saved the setup world (without adding a manager) and restarted WWSM, and the keyboard works fine.

I don't know how I entered my expiration date, but I got it to work somehow.

Little speed bumps on the road, nothing more. Great job.

Thanks again, Marc and Neil.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by Pierroth:

Just curious - are there going to be any more PC download options available for WWSM in the coming days?

The only reason I ask this is because my only payment option is PayPal (no credit card), and it seems that both Boonty and D2D don't support it. (I thought Boonty *did* based on their website, but the payment page for WWSM doesn't have that option surprisingly.)

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

See above.

• SI Staff
Originally posted by fercecy:

Well, i have sent an email to Marc but it looks like he is offline... icon_frown.gif

The last 2 days i have been trying to buy the game through Boonty and i got the error that was described previously (in the third page, after completing the form i get the message "there was an error... ").

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have been trying to download Futbol Manager from Boonty since yesterday, but keep getting the (common to many users on this forum) message that the transaction has failed. Boonty support replied to say that my bank turned down the transaction, but my bank haven't done anything. So, I eagerly awaited Direct to Drive, who have futbol manager available for download, albeit only for people in South America. However my order gets blocked because of country location restrictions. Presumably those retrictions are because I am in South America. I've checked my IP address, and it is correctly locating where I am. This is kind of like the episode of a certain programme (that may not have been shown yet so I won't give a spoiler) where a character's love for a woman is killed off when she deliberately makes herself smell before having sex with him badly. This is how I am beginning to feel about Football Manager.

I'm sorry to hear that and it's unusual, because Fútbol Manager should only be available to your territory.

I've fired off an email to the guys over at Direct2Drive, so if they come back to me I'll let you know as soon as I can.

So, it is safe to go and try Direct2Drive? or shall i wait to see what happened with my order on Boonty? (i am specially worried about the credit card, obviously icon_wink.gif )

Thank you very much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get Direct2Drive and if you have any unwanted Boonty charges - please contact me

Neil,

I am in North America and accidently downloaded Futbol Manager (South American version in Spanish).. I told Marc Duffy about this and he said on this that he has an answer for me, and to e-mail him. I did but I have no reply after 2 days.

Do you know if I could play the game with the English version? Can I somehow get the WWSM instead of the Futbol Manager i downloaded? Thanks

Originally posted by Marc Duffy:

2 days...I don't think so!

I'm going through those mails now so you might be lucky but no way 2 days sir

just trying to expedite the process icon_wink.gif

i downloaded the wrong game 2 days ago, and notified you on that day. you said you could have an answer by the next day (yesterday) and did, but we never got in touch.

no hard feelings mate, i just can't wait to play!!

Originally posted by Taz of the Boro:

Is it possible once the game is downloaded to burn onto a cd or is there some kind of lock on it?

I would like to know too! coz I wanna be able to play it when I'm at home, or on my laptop when I'm traveling as well as when I have free time at work using my work PC.

Originally posted by bolung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz of the Boro:

Is it possible once the game is downloaded to burn onto a cd or is there some kind of lock on it?

I would like to know too! coz I wanna be able to play it when I'm at home, or on my laptop when I'm traveling as well as when I have free time at work using my work PC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have already explained that you can activate the game in 2 different machines. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by fercecy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bolung:

I would like to know too! coz I wanna be able to play it when I'm at home, or on my laptop when I'm traveling as well as when I have free time at work using my work PC.

They have already explained that you can activate the game in 2 different machines. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that part. However, is the change just like one click to deactivate on PC "A" and then another click on PC "B" to activate my license? Coz I wanna do it on 3 PCs instead of 2.

Thanks for ur reply!

Originally posted by Marc Duffy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fercecy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have been trying to download Futbol Manager from Boonty since yesterday, but keep getting the (common to many users on this forum) message that the transaction has failed. Boonty support replied to say that my bank turned down the transaction, but my bank haven't done anything. So, I eagerly awaited Direct to Drive, who have futbol manager available for download, albeit only for people in South America. However my order gets blocked because of country location restrictions. Presumably those retrictions are because I am in South America. I've checked my IP address, and it is correctly locating where I am. This is kind of like the episode of a certain programme (that may not have been shown yet so I won't give a spoiler) where a character's love for a woman is killed off when she deliberately makes herself smell before having sex with him badly. This is how I am beginning to feel about Football Manager.

Thank you very much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get Direct2Drive and if you have any unwanted Boonty charges - please contact me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, thanks Mark.

Direct2Drive have just procesed my order... i will start downloading it now... icon_biggrin.gif

Now you need to pull out that beta patch for the DD and you will be my idol... icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

Archived