Club rivalry poorly implemented - a one size fits all approach sucks

for the sake of my argument I'll go with the AC Milan - Genoa rivalry, which is fair enough after what happened around 15 years ago, but also shows why club rivalry within the game is poorly implemented.

Regardless of which team i opt for, the other manager takes an instant dislike to me, even though I've had between nil and zero interaction with him or any of his players, so suddenly I'm at a huge disadvantage compared to other teams if i want to have any transfer dealings with the other club.

Why is the above bullsheight - because this particular rivalry isn't about one club directly competing with the other on the field (i appreciate Genoa have close the gap in recent years) nor is it about the locality, it's simply about both sets of fans hating on one another. So why should this affect any transfer dealings between the clubs?

Hell, just look at what Genoa did for AC Milan during the last transfer window to see what I'm getting at.

Rivalries do affect transfer dealings in real life (although it's a lot murkier in Italy, where fan rivalries are not just on-the-field, but political and regional, amongst others). Few have crossed the Rome divide, for example (Roma-Lazio).

i know they affect transfer dealings and that's why i purposely used AC Milan - Genoa and not Roma/Lazio or Celtic/Rangers.

The Genoa - AC Milan rivalry has nothing whatsoever to do with political or regional issues, it's simply between the fans (a Genoa fan got stabbed), not the club themselves. My main issue is why should this particular rivalry have the same restrictions placed upon it as say the Rangers/Celtic rivalry? It makes no sense whatsoever.

It's not just about transfer dealings, it's how the whole thing is implemented. Another example, and staying in Italy is why should the Verona fans and board be thoroughly ****ed off when i lose 1-0 against AC Milan in the cup 1/4's? Just because both clubs are listed as fierce rivals, it seems to totally ignore the fact one club is a superpower whilst the other is struggling to get out of the third division.

I agree, the rivalries needs improvement. I'll give you 1 example of this: I'm manager of Inter and had a good relationship with a manager from another league, Juve hired him and all of a sudden he dislikes me.

when i was playing in the a-league with sydney fc, harry kewell retired and took control of melbourne victory so he instantly disliked me. I was pretty unhappy that he didn't like me so i praised him until our relationship got better, but then the next time we faced them he disliked me again.

Archived