FOOTBALL MANAGER 2009 - Graphics Speak Louder Than Words! . . . [Mock-ups Included]

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm no expert and i'm not saying I could do it but surely this could be done quite easily? I mean it's excellent, much better than the current layout. Only thing is the size, would the space taken up by attributes would have to be reduced to fit everything else on the player screens?

I'd be very upset if this isn't added to the game in the next few years. Brilliant ideas, even the minority of people who dont like the idea could be happy if it was an option to choose at start up of a career save (when you choose your database size etc)

I think from a business point of view this would be a great addition to the game in terms of attracting new customers to buy the game, many people who i speak to who havent purchased a FM game have been put off by the "spreadsheet" look. This idea would change that general opinion of the spreadheet but not affect the indepth knowlegde which makes the game the best Football Manager game in the world :)

To the people who say this could be added as a skin - i agree it could but it would be hard to make the best use of this fantastic idea due to the different sizes of text etc (the totally different look to the game). I'm not an expert but i think it may be very hard to implement to its full potential as a skin.

Greak work! an excellent idea! fingers crossed for this to be added in future versions of FM :D

Even if this isn't introduced into the game in the next few years, could someone make a skin with all of these ideas in as then the people who want these ideas/layouts in their game can have it and the people who don't want it can choose a different skin.

Great work mate, keep it up :D:thup::):cool:

personally i really like it.

What ive always wondered is why the game has the position so.... dead set on the tactic screen if you know what i mean. Its a bad example, but for examply, on pro evo you can set the positions anywhere you like, id like something a bit more like thatand i feel they need to add the position second striker, as its a very different role to CF or AMC. Just add new tactical ideas into the game.

And in rehards to the averages, i think it would also be good to have an "overall" average score if you are going to do individual ones, unfortunately that is bordering far too close on fifa, of which i am not a fan.

Waow you blew me away mate. Looking at those pics you put up I think they should hire you up stright away!!!

I always felt FM was a little unfinished in the graphical sense, and its presentation however definately best game in the world. I know there are

always skins but some of the stuff you put up are really simple yet mind boggling and seoriusly looks the goods. Thanks for sharing and

I hope FM10 looks exactly or even better then you make it out to be!!

Once again good on ya champ!

Excellent post, people take note! Threads such as these that attempt to solve problems rather than just pointing them out are very useful to us, as Ter's presence shows. :thup:

If you say this thread "solve problems" while others "just pointing them out" (I would say that the community from game release to february is just beta-testing a game while paying it), well, I find it very unfair, since I read some threads regarding training and other core-game stuff without any answer from you, which is much more important.

If put some photo here and there and changing players color attributes are solving problems, this makes me think about how you're working. You made a patch that made problems with regen faces, if you couldn't prevent this, completely revamp graphics is a dream, honestly. Think focusing on core-game stuff, and just give tools to skinners, that are making gorgeous works, instead.

^ ^Whs ^ ^ The OP had some fantastic ideas and had the knowledge (skinning or whatever) to implement them, or at least to saw us images of them. If pointing out a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place is not useful, then we're left with two options: praise the game as it is or learn programming and solving those problems ourselves.

really decent suggestions. all would say the distinct difference between these rival (?) games are database/reality vs graphics/finishing... when FM gains acceleration on the latter one it will get closer to being flawless.

with huge amount of precise data and processing it, bugs and twitches are acceptable. i find SI's rate of solving problems really reasonable. and i can understand their effort in making the game itself work more accurately, with minimum amount of bugs in the core, rather than spend time on the finishing. perhaps these two are different branches which require improvements from different teams of people. still, i need a "perfect running game" before i have a "perfect looking game"...

i really have the feeling things keep on improving and the introduction of 3d match engine really winks onto graphical improvements are around the corner.

the one thing i love about CM/FM series is that, it is almost fully customizable, the graphics, the data etc. there are many decent, hardworking, versatile graphic authors who are fans of the game themselves. it is not difficult to make your game look close-to-perfect with a small effort. go around, look for it, sure you will find it.

hope stan's ideas come up to be real and concrete sometime soon though. by him or by someone else who gets inspired by his mock-ups

keep up the good work stan..

^ ^Whs ^ ^ The OP had some fantastic ideas and had the knowledge (skinning or whatever) to implement them, or at least to saw us images of them. If pointing out a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place is not useful, then we're left with two options: praise the game as it is or learn programming and solving those problems ourselves.

this solves a problem and is useful (and should be praised and considered by SI)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=76389&highlight=preferred+foot

not this

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/2955/matchflowlj8.jpg <--- which problem does this solve?

I'm not blaming the OP, it's a quality works without any doubt, I'm blaming the meaning you give to it. It's not solving problem ---> improve gameplay, but

make it cool---> just bling bling at eyes.

It's not "Graphics Speak Louder Than Words" because

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=112789&highlight=star

this is honestly true. A simple silly png that makes something potentially great to awful.

Da Funk, I agree with you 100% on this. I just don't accept that pointing out a problem is not useful to the progress of the game, as scorp said. As I told before, not all of us are programmers or have some kind of knowledge to be in a possition to solve problems (that shouldn't be there, what so ever). So, we're "limitted" to just point them out and maybe a few times propose possible solutions

If Ter has read this thread since it's been bumped can you say anything with reagards to this?

I think it's clear this is something alot ( of forum ) users want which I guess the wider customer base would also want.

At no point did I say that pointing out problems was not useful, perhaps you should re-read my post:

"Excellent post, people take note! Threads such as these that attempt to solve problems rather than just pointing them out are very useful to us, as Ter's presence shows."

This does not say that pointing out problems are not useful to us, it says that attempting to solve them or provide a solution is "very useful" as it fleshes out the problem and brings about a concept that can be used as a basis for discussion and thought on the aspect in question.

This goes for all suggestions for improvements. Pointing something out is useful, but suggesting a genuine way in which improvements could be handled is even more useful.

I was in no way criticising posts that point things out, I was praising this one. Can't praise a poster on these boards without it being totally misread! :)

Well, I guess I missuderstood your post, ok, I can understand that giving a possible solution to a problem is more useful than just mentioning it, and obvioulsly the OP had some great ideas for the improvement of the UI, so any praise is justified :thup:

• SI Staff
If Ter has read this thread since it's been bumped can you say anything with reagards to this?

I think it's clear this is something alot ( of forum ) users want which I guess the wider customer base would also want.

There's nothing new that needs said that hasn't been said already

I was in no way criticising posts that point things out, I was praising this one. Can't praise a poster on these boards without it being totally misread! :)

Let me explain my position. First of all I didn't meant to open a controversy or a feud!

My thoughts starts from

Threads such as these that attempt to solve problems rather than just pointing them out are very useful to us

I find that "these" absolutely a nonsense.

Anyhow I agree with you that everyone can say "this doesn't work. Fix it" And often posts like this one are just like spam.

But let me give you an example. If I remember right when you put a custom skin in the folder where it should be, it cause text to have almost invisible color. To fix it there's need of an xml. Well this is an example of something absolutely bad that the common user can't give you a way to fix.

And I hope in FM2010 we simply have to put the skin in the folder, without creating any file :)

Obviously it's not perfect, there would need to be a rethink in terms of overusing players' faces, which aren't in the game as standard and probably aren't imported by as many users as people might think - but it is so much infinitely better than the excel-style formatting that we've all become used to. Yes, FIFA/TCM has its bad points (i.e. football management) but it also had its good points, and FM wouldn't necessarily do badly by taking some inspiration from the odd few features.

i personally think those mock-ups are genius, excellent work

IMO this would make fm even better, designing the UI like this wouldn't affect any of the database functions, and it looks much more user friendly and easier to use.

good job stan

Let me explain my position. First of all I didn't meant to open a controversy or a feud!

My thoughts starts from

I find that "these" absolutely a nonsense.

Anyhow I agree with you that everyone can say "this doesn't work. Fix it" And often posts like this one are just like spam.

But let me give you an example. If I remember right when you put a custom skin in the folder where it should be, it cause text to have almost invisible color. To fix it there's need of an xml. Well this is an example of something absolutely bad that the common user can't give you a way to fix.

And I hope in FM2010 we simply have to put the skin in the folder, without creating any file :)

All Skorp was doing was praising this thread and the OP for actually coming up with suggestions. He was, at the same time, criticising threads that are critical of the game, but don't come up with any suggested alternatives and are not constructive in nature. I'll back Skorp up on that one. He in no way said that all other threads were useless, just that this is a shining example of a thread.

I just want to add my endorsement to the great ideas Stan has shown us. I agree with posters that have said that having the players' pics on the tactics screen would make it too cluttered, but evrything else looks great and would make it easier (and more entertaining) to see key information. I have to disagree with people that call this "fluff". Aesthetics are important!!

These are absolutely brilliant suggestions for improvements to the FM 'feel'. Like others it probably over uses player faces but the injury graphic, discipline graphic and below league table graphics are great suggestions and very well thought out.

All Skorp was doing was praising this thread and the OP for actually coming up with suggestions. He was, at the same time, criticising threads that are critical of the game, but don't come up with any suggested alternatives and are not constructive in nature. I'll back Skorp up on that one. He in no way said that all other threads were useless, just that this is a shining example of a thread.

Skorp is a "he" ? Never knew that tbh :thup:

Well this isnt something that can be fixed by a skin but...

I mean this is a total overhaul of all graphics to do with the game. The more I look at it the more I feel these sort of upgrades will make the game expereince

much much better.

Lets use an analogy here.

I go eat at a resturant. The food is terrific, the service is amazing, it costs little more then Maccas and you get free parking all night smack bang in the

middle of CBD. HOWEVER BOOM the waitresses/waiters look like love child of Golem and Sherk... How does your food go down?

We all know FM>Fifa. HOWEVER I think with the graphics upgrade will make it more appealing to the general public, which means more buyers, more money

for company to make better game etc...

Also with fresh graphics it would mean the overall experience while already great, will be even better!!!

BOOM!

Dont smash the bloke, I think he made a really good point.

I like all the text :(

If there are going to be lots of small graphics replacing existing format, can it be optional?

The guy doesnt mean he'll replace all text with graphics, if you looked at his ideas you'll see that its not replacing but making more effective the use of any text now and adding addiotioanl

graphics making the overall gameplay, ambeience and expereince much better for all playing the game.

Personally i feel FM to have just about every feature you could possibly want in a football management sim. However, i find there is still something lacking.

I beleive FM would greatly benefit from a design overhaul - less text, more graphics.

Attributes

Attribute Alternative Colour

Match Flow

Overview

Table

Tactics

I really like these except for the final one, the match one.

The reason I don't like it is because of one thing, the idea of showing player pictures. It is too large and you would get big problems with players who don't have a picture in the database.

OBVIOUSLY there is a reason why there isnt all the players photos in profiles. However, what is this reason exactly?

Everyone adds them in later with facepacks and stuff... Is it copy right issues?

Puzzled,

ReeNah

I have to say some of that is very impressive and makes the game a lot more appealing on the eye. The only problem I have is that when your players dont have a pic the tactics screen might look a little stupid.

Overall very good work stanpetrov. I like................I said I liiiiiiiikkkeee

• 2 months later...

Archived